IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ABBYY FlexiCapture OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ABBYY FlexiCapture is #1 ranked solution in top Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) tools. PeerSpot users give ABBYY FlexiCapture an average rating of 8 out of 10. ABBYY FlexiCapture is most commonly compared to ABBYY Vantage: ABBYY FlexiCapture vs ABBYY Vantage. ABBYY FlexiCapture is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
ABBYY FlexiCapture Buyer's Guide

Download the ABBYY FlexiCapture Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is ABBYY FlexiCapture?

ABBYY FlexiCapture is an intelligent platform for capturing meaningful data, relationships and insights from documents, forms, and correspondence to improve business outcomes. It transforms documents into business value by capturing and validating information in any format at its point of need. Intelligently digitizing documents and automating document processes, FlexiCapture helps organizations remove risk and cost while accelerating revenue and driving competitive advantage every day.

With ABBYY FlexiCapture You Can:

• Easily remove manual processing friction from document intensive processes
  • Feed content-driven business applications
  • Help your organization focus more on customer service
  • Gain a competitive advantage
  • Leverage customer-provided data to accelerate transactions
  • Easily train the system to use ongoing machine learning for continuous improvements and cost control
  • Reduce your document handling costs

ABBYY FlexiCapture Includes:
  • Multi-level documents classification: With ABBYY FlexiCapture, AI-based classifiers that are trained automatically help you automate the task of understanding, separating, and routing documents by using the latest machine learning methods.
  • Natural Language Processing: Unstructured documents such as contracts, leases, articles, agreements, and email can be captured with NLP technology. Business processes that require manual data entry can be automated, allowing you to make important document data available quickly in your business applications to save time, money, and labor.
  • Auto-learning: ABBYY Flexicapture’s auto-learning capabilities help to accelerate your time to production and also reduce ongoing system support and maintenance costs. Users train the system to process irregular or flexible document layouts and the administrator is able to retain full control to edit, fine-tune, or discard auto-learning results. Through this process, the system continuously learns and improves based on feedback from users.
  • Advanced document classification: ABBYY FlexiCapture gives you the ability to classify inbound communications by form and content to optimize your organization’s information-driven processes. Deep learning detects every incoming document type and sorts them by appearance or pattern.
  • Image enhancement: Images captured by mobile devices are automatically improved to optimize processing, making it especially useful for documents with complex backgrounds like transcripts, identification documents, and transportation forms. Regardless of image quality or source, ABBYY FlexiCapture offers tools such as auto crop, background whitening, and image quality assessment to create custom enhancement profiles for different image sources.
  • Handwritten ICR: Using advanced ICR technology, ABBYY FlexiCapture is able to recognize handwritten data; The technology can extract handwritten data in fields, marks, or full text in documents such as bills, receipts, medical forms, prescriptions, applications, claims, invoices, and other financial or transportation documents.

ABBYY FlexiCapture Features:

• Powerful FlexiCapture functionality in the cloud: You can select the best deployment option that makes sense for your organizational needs; It can be deployed to either cloud or on-premises.
  • Proven security: ABBYY FlexiCapture Cloud has native security features, related both to infrastructure and platform layers.
  • REST API: With ABBYY FlexiCapture Cloud REST API, external systems can upload documents and also receive extraction results, and tight integrations can be done easily with your systems. The REST API feature trains FlexiCapture by providing feedback about result quality, and develops customized verification.
  • Trusted environment: ABBYY FlexiCapture leverages its security and data protection by using Microsoft Azure, ensuring a trusted environment.

ABBYY FlexiCapture Benefits:

• Quick start: ABBYY can automatically learn how to classify and extract data from similar documents by simply running samples of routine documents through the system.
  • Accessible anywhere: Companies can distribute and manage relevant business processes across remote locations through a responsive web interface that’s easy to maintain and can be accessed from anywhere.
  • Document classification automation: FlexiCapture offers image, text, or rule-based classification methods that can be combined into a hierarchical system to deliver the greatest straight-through processing performance and reduced manual review. Documents can be classified into different types and variations.
  • Visual model processes: Using ABBYY FlexiCapture, you can build a “digital twin” of your business processes and identify deviations from the ideal process flow to better understand exactly how your processes execute.
  • End-to-end process visualization: Gain greater insight into the flow of your work through the process stages and also visualize the cause of delays and bottlenecks.
  • Reduced time and manual effort: Deliver faster time to value by eliminating manual processes.
  • Customer journey visibility: ABBYY FlexiCapture allows you to discover your customers’ journey and processes to understand challenges and special cases, giving you all the information you need to improve customer satisfaction.
  • Cost reduction: Easily identify improvement opportunities, reducing the cost of process evaluation.
  • Compliance risk management: Ensure compliance obligations by receiving alerts when rules are broken and following up immediately.

Reviews from Real Users

"The whole idea of designing your own templates is pretty much the bread and butter of the product, but that's really the best part because you can design flexible templates.” - B.R., IT Consultant at a financial services firm

"There are a lot of options in ABBYY FlexiCapture, and it is very vast. I have worked with multiple OCR tools, and I found ABBYY FlexiCapture to be the most accurate tool.” - Saamir H., RPA Consultant at a financial services firm

"The most valuable feature is the ability to scale for big processes. We are able to process 1 million pages a day. Its accuracy is also very nice. It is a good feature that they have. It is an independent platform, which is its biggest advantage as compared to other solutions. It is also very stable and powerful. It is 100% on time.” - Mauricio D., C Document and Data For Automation at PRTi Digital

ABBYY FlexiCapture was previously known as FlexiCapture.

ABBYY FlexiCapture Customers

Banque Populaire de l’Ouest, PepsiCo

ABBYY FlexiCapture Video

ABBYY FlexiCapture Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ABBYY FlexiCapture pricing:
  • "Its price should be a little lower. It is a lot higher than the competition, and if they just break the gap a little, then more people might jump onto their product. Their price is definitely a deterrent in the few cases that I remember. They have monthly and yearly options, and if you want, they also have per project and per page options. They do charge extra for different types of installation. They have the standalone, which is pretty straightforward and a lot cheaper than the server installation. Server installation gives you a lot more, and it gives you control over the environment."
  • "It is more on the reasonable side as compared to the competition that I am aware of. I'm not an expert on pricing schemes for all sorts of things, but when we offer them a solution, we like to say we're agnostic. So, we offer more than one solution when possible. Amongst the ones that we've offered, ABBYY usually is the more reasonable solution on a big scale. On a small scale, they're all pretty similar. As far as I understand, you pay a license for a number of pages, and that's pretty much it. It has just the rate per page, and it decreases as you scale."
  • "Most of our customers have purchased an annual license and if you have multiple developers from other companies, you can assign the license on a monthly basis to developers."
  • "Its price is a little bit high and can be lower. Its licensing is very expensive. I don't remember exactly, but for each page, it is about four or seven cents, which is too expensive."
  • ABBYY FlexiCapture Reviews

AhmedSoliman2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior RPA Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Gives control over what goes through the system, lessens the errors, and saves time to allow the teams to focus on bigger picture things
    • "Verification station is a really good feature. It allows part-owners to be able to take a look at what comes out of the tool after a document, such as an invoice, is run through ABBYY. It also allows them to update it if there are any mistakes. So, it kind of gives them a little more control over what goes through the system and lessens the errors."
    • "They say that they have invoice training or document training where if you put in a certain number of documents of the same type and you fix it once, twice, or a few times, it'll automatically be able to read the same document perfectly without you having to create a layout for it to follow. That has never worked properly for any project, so I just stopped recommending it completely. We spent time trying to test and getting a bunch of invoices to test it with, and in the end, it just didn't do what it needed to. If they fix that or if they can improve on that, that would be great. It will save a lot of time for a lot of people, and it will allow people with less experience with ABBYY to be able to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases were invoice-related for sectors such as supply chain and finance. Sometimes, they were a little bit related to HR and payroll. We also had use cases for passports and IDs and documents related to HR and onboarding.  I've also worked on a larger scale project for importing and exporting in Dubai. It had invoices, country of origin statements, and everything else that comes through with an import check event. It was on-premise on all the projects I've worked on. I've never worked on it with the cloud. We would connect it to an RPA tool, such as UiPath or Automation Anywhere. So, it was a part of a larger solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Usually, it does the reading task for a document, such as an invoice, and that is a very mundane task for an employee when they have other stuff to do. It pretty much takes that off their plate. It gives them time to focus on bigger picture things or even look at the process as a whole. It lessens the errors that can happen. An employee can be tired and read a number wrong, but if it is a computer-generated invoice, it is going to be of the best quality. If it is computer-generated, it will come out with zero error every time, and it will do it a lot faster than a person. It will extract the information and continue doing whatever you need to.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They say that they have invoice training or document training where if you put in a certain number of documents of the same type and you fix it once, twice, or a few times, it'll automatically be able to read the same document perfectly without you having to create a layout for it to follow. That has never worked properly for any project, so I just stopped recommending it completely. We spent time trying to test and getting a bunch of invoices to test it with, and in the end, it just didn't do what it needed to. If they fix that or if they can improve on that, that would be great. It will save a lot of time for a lot of people, and it will allow people with less experience with ABBYY to be able to use it. The way FlexiLayout Studio and Project Station read a document, such as an invoice, is a little bit different. So, if you set it up in FlexiLayout Studio and create a template, it will read it just fine, but when you import it into Project Studio, sometimes, it will not read it the same way. The way both of them read is a little bit different. So, you have to go back, and you have to change it again, and it is trial and error until you get it right. Its price should be a little lower. It is a lot higher than the competition.
    ABBYY FlexiCapture
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ABBYY FlexiCapture. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The last project I worked on was in February of this year.

It is pretty stable. If I remember correctly, it has only crashed once, and I don't think it was a system issue. It was just some weird, bizarre glitch that happened at the time. Once the projects were live and running on the client system, we've never had any issues that I can think of.

Its scalability is good, but it also depends on how you're working on a project from the beginning. I like to put everything together, and I usually do think of it in a way that if we were going to add invoices in the future, it won't be a hassle. It is pretty scalable. I can have many different invoices on the same project. I can have a project going on the client-side for years and then just add to it if needed. Usually, we have some type of business analyst whose main role is doing something that we call an OCR study. The business analyst would be reading the invoices and just telling us what the client wants to extract from them. On their end, they also make sure that the quality of the invoices is good for ABBYY. It can't be something that is written over and damaged or put in someone's pocket for a day and then in the scanner. It won't give us perfect results. There would also be a developer who would take a look at the OCR study fed by the analyst and then think of how to develop each template. If you don't understand how you're going to design the whole project, you might need someone. Because we're putting it into another automation tool as well, after we've sort of developed everything, depending on the scale of the project, we may have somebody dedicated to just testing the submission before sending it over to the client. We have plans to use it, and of course, it is a good product, but we work with what the client wants. So, if a client doesn't want it, then they're not going to be using it. It is not like a solution for every case in my line of work. It depends on if the client actually has a bunch of invoices or a bunch of documents that they need to read quickly. If that's the case, then we definitely recommend it every time. We recommend it over any other OCR solution on the market. ABBYY in itself isn't a perfect tool, but ABBYY is pretty good. It is not the best on the market at the moment.

I've been in contact with several people from ABBYY and their support staff. They're very helpful.

We were using the default OCR tool that came with the UiPath software. It is integrated with Google OCR and Microsoft OCR, which are okay for smaller, simpler documents, but they're not going to give you the control that you can have with ABBYY. The engine itself isn't as good. ABBYY is definitely more mature. It's all-around better. If I pass through an invoice PDF, the percentage of getting everything right with ABBYY is higher than it is with the others. It is definitely a lot more expensive, but I can tailor what I need to each document, and I have multi-lingual support. I can pretty much just get behind what ABBYY is trying to read and make sure it is reading everything correctly, whereas, with Google OCR or Microsoft OCR, I just worked with whatever came out, and I had no control over it.

It depends. There are two types of installations. There is the standalone installation, and there is the server installation. The standalone one is very simple. It is just a normal install. You just push the license through the command prompt, and that's pretty much it. The other one is just going to take a little while longer depending on how you're going to deploy the solution for FlexiCapture on the system. From my experience, if someone is going to install it for the first time, they might need just a bit of help, but it is not that complex. The duration depends on the solution. It depends on what a customer wants and how many invoices you're going to be preparing in ABBYY, but usually, we say that a good rule of thumb is about one to two hours for a normal invoice. If it has a complex table, then it may take three to four hours for an invoice. So, the time taken would depend on what the client actually wants. If we have five invoices for which the customer wants to use ABBYY, they can be created in a day or two days. We'll give half a day for installation, which also depends on how many servers we're going to be using. We'll give like another half a day for testing and pushing the project. So, maybe two days for five invoices is fair. In terms of the implementation strategy, first, I would pretty much gather all the invoices the customer needs, and usually, if they are in the same sector and in the same business, they'll be very similar. If we have 50 invoices, I would rather waste an hour or two figuring out the similar invoices and then creating just 10 templates instead of 50. After that, I'd start with identifying the means of the values that I want to extract and figure those out in all of those 50 invoices, especially the ones that are going to be in the same template. Then, I'd get to work on those templates. Once I finish those, I'd push them to the project so that I can test them there, and if everything is working fine in the project, then I'd just give the solution to the customer.

We have definitely seen an ROI. Most of the ROI is related to time because it'll take a while for a human to go through a full process. If we assume that we have a process that takes a human or an employee an hour, that would be eight hours in a day. OCR would really cut that time by a lot. I'm also talking about adding automation to it, so I'm pretty much a little biased here. We can cut that time down by a lot, and once we do that, then we just have the whole process automated. It is not being done by an employee anymore, so that employee is free to do something else. So, you're saving time, money, and brainpower.

Its price should be a little lower. It is a lot higher than the competition, and if they just break the gap a little, then more people might jump onto their product. Their price is definitely a deterrent in the few cases that I remember. They have monthly and yearly options, and if you want, they also have per project and per page options. We partnered with them for a few projects, and they provided us with a trial license that we use on our end for using the system, employing it, and developing the solution. On the client's end, they will charge them for the license because that's ongoing. They also get support and everything else. They do charge extra for different types of installation. They have the standalone, which is pretty straightforward and a lot cheaper than the server installation. Server installation gives you a lot more, and it gives you control over the environment. They have a web management studio for the whole thing. You can create users and give people different permissions and track the progress of everything, so that's going to be a lot more expensive. I remember that one client was complaining about having to pay extra for having the Arabic language added to the system. I think they made all the languages free after that, but I'm not 100% sure.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise first looking at what you're trying to extract from the documents that you have. If they are simple enough and are being extracted properly through a cheaper or a free OCR tool, then just use that. It is not going to be worth the price. If you have lots of invoices and some of them get very complex, and you'd rather have the control over making sure everything is fine, and you have no room for error, then it would be better to invest in ABBYY. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that when creating templates with different documents, make sure that you're using different identifiers for those documents. That's because, in the beginning, you might think that it would automatically know the difference between, let's say, an Amazon invoice and a Walmart invoice, but it won't unless you tell it. So, you have to make sure that those files are unique. You also have to make sure that what you've created fits perfectly for that invoice. If you leave a little bit of leeway, it is possible that something else will be picked up that you don't want, and then it will just ruin the rest of the process. It is no fault of the OCR. You just didn't restrict it properly. I would rate ABBYY FlexiCapture an eight out of 10. It is not perfect, but it is the best I've used.

IT Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Solid with good support, saves times, and brings more employee satisfaction
    • "The whole idea of designing your own templates is pretty much the bread and butter of the product, but that's really the best part because you can design flexible templates."
    • "There is always room for improvement in any product. Some of the configurations for the machine learning models for invoice reading are fairly complicated. There is so much customization that is possible with that sort of thing, so it makes sense that there are a lot of options, but some of the more important ones can be a little better streamlined or more upfront. Currently, machine learning models are a little bit difficult to configure satisfactorily."

What is our primary use case?

I specialize in RPA. So, I started learning FlexiCapture to include it in the automation process. Instead of users having to manually enter information into a database or something like that, they can just load their digital documents to a certain location for ABBYY to decipher them, and then the bot and the automation could just continue along with that.

For one of the projects, it was deployed on a public cloud. For the other project, it was on-premise.

What is most valuable?

There is also the AI part. They have their machine learning models that are pre-setup for invoices and things like that, which is also very handy. It is a really good feature.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement in any product. Some of the configurations for the machine learning models for invoice reading are fairly complicated. There is so much customization that is possible with that sort of thing, so it makes sense that there are a lot of options, but some of the more important ones can be a little better streamlined or more upfront. Currently, machine learning models are a little bit difficult to configure satisfactorily.

There are a lot of solutions for different things, and they are all kind of headed in the same direction where they all do everything. I know that ABBYY wants to try and do a little more RPA. Solutions like UiPath, for example, want to eat ABBYY's lunch too. They all are trying to make an all-in-one solution for all possible automation needs. In that sense, ABBYY as a standalone product could use some more automation features. They are not there yet.

Its integrations with strictly RPA products, such as UiPath, Blue Prism, and other solutions, work when they work, but when they don't, it is a kind of a pain. Those integrations could use a little bit more support.

I have run into issues with the connectors that they developed for UiPath. I had one issue with that. It didn't want to do what we wanted. We had to change how it worked a little bit as far as the automation goes. It wasn't a huge issue, but it would have been much more convenient if had worked the way it was designed to. Otherwise, in terms of the stability of the project itself, I've never seen it crash.

Its performance is usually dependent on the hardware it is installed upon. That's not really an issue with the software itself. Its accuracy is good. It is probably one of the better optical character recognition packages that I've seen, but it still is not perfect because none of them are. It is the nature of the software, but it is pretty good. As long as the clients can provide reasonably readable documents, then it has got no problems as far as I'm concerned.

It is actually relatively simple to increase the scale of the infrastructure that you install. When I was dealing with it, the licensing structure that they had was relatively affordable as compared to other solutions. The bigger the scale, the more affordable it is. These things change all the time, so I don't know if it is still current.

The projects I've been on were proof of concept and then we just rolled them into production on the first stage. It was pretty small scale, but they had plans to go large scale. One of the projects actually from my end was still just the small-scale stuff, but other departments in the company had already procured a rather large-scale ABBYY license, and it was in production. I had nothing to do with that section, but the company as a whole had a pretty large infrastructure for ABBYY itself. They were dealing with millions of pages per month or so.

For proof of concept, there were probably about four or five test users. For the second one that I worked on, it was planned to go to production from the get-go. It started out on small scale again with probably four or five users. So far, the scale is 20.

I have used tech support, and they've been extremely helpful. There was a part of the solution I couldn't figure out myself. So, I enlisted their help, and they walked me through how to do what I needed to do. They set up a time within the next day or so, and they spent an hour with me. We figured it all out, and it was good. There is always room for improvement. Other instances haven't been as perfect as that, but that was certainly a shining example.

When we did the first project, which was just the proof of concept that I was part of, they had older software from 20 years ago. There wasn't support for it anymore or something like that. They were looking for something that could handle a larger scale. So, they switched. We suggested them ABBYY, and that's where they went.

For the clients for whom I worked with ABBYY, we would arrange for them to provide an environment. We would go into the environment and install ABBYY servers. If required, we'd also walk them through installing the clients on their machines, but generally, what we've been doing so far has been the support to an RPA project. They didn't really need to use ABBYY clients. It has all been pretty much backend stuff. We would install the infrastructure, set up the automation and its interactions with ABBYY, and then run tests in UAT. Once everything is ready to go, we do the final production deployment. After that, we have a week or two of maintenance before it gets off to a specialized maintenance team.

It takes about a week for the installation, but the development planning usually takes months or longer. At the time, I was pretty much doing it myself with support from a business analyst. The deployment of the infrastructure, the development of the automation and the ABBYY components, and then running the testing was usually just a one-man job with support from a couple of other people, such as a project manager.

Once we have developed the solution, there is a testing period where we just put it in their hands, and they throw all sorts of scenarios at it. We fix the bugs as it goes along. ABBYY does have a learning function where it can pick up on these changes when things arise, as long as the users are able and familiar with how to train it, which we show them how to do. So, maintainability is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. If there is something completely wrong and it is not reading anything right, then we have to go in and edit the templates, etc. Generally, if we set it up right and they learn how to teach it right, it is pretty stable.

The client got an ROI in reducing the number of hours that the users have to spend on a given task. Again, my solutions are not purely ABBYY, so it is hard to say how much of the benefit the ABBYY section alone was. Usually, ABBYY is involved because the users are spending a lot of time entering the information they see on a piece of paper into the system, whereas ABBYY can read it all in seconds. So, there is certainly great time savings. It then becomes a matter of comparing the cost of installation and the cost of developing the solution, licensing, and everything else with the costs and the time of those users. Even if it is pretty close to equal, they usually go for it because it is a much better environment for the users to work in and is less tedium. So, they have more employee satisfaction.

What other advice do I have?

I've never done a strictly ABBYY solution. My solutions have all been ABBYY plus UiPath or something like that. After a solution has been deployed, there have always been bug fixes. Other than that, clients have always been extremely happy with this solution. They're excited they have to do less work.

If you have the right use case, it is definitely worth it. As a solution, I would rate ABBYY a nine out of 10. It is a solid solution, and support is there. It is good.

ABBYY FlexiCapture
    July 2022
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Digital Service Lab Lead at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable with good automation capabilities and great at data extraction
    • "It saves us a lot of manual work."
    • "Even though the training works, it's not as good as it is made out to be."

What is our primary use case?

We are a logistics company, and, due to the fact that a lot of documents get generated on a daily basis, documents need to be processed and data extracted. That's our primary use case for this solution. We use it for a lot of data extraction.

What is most valuable?

The fact that IBM Datacap uses ABBYY's core engine for OCR, is quite useful for us. It makes them one of the key players as far as OCR extraction is concerned.

The fact that they've packaged it very well in the sense that you have these field extraction batches which enable you to auto claim the documents, and you have these templates which are structurally laid out, which enables you to mark a specific zone from which data can be extracted.

It saves us a lot of manual work.

The automation on offer is good.

Technical support, for the most part, is helpful.

What needs improvement?

A lot of things could be improved, especially if you look at the number of support tickets that we have created. Looking at those would indicate the things that can be improved.

For example, more often than not, we are forced to rely on template creation in order to bring the accuracy of extraction to 100%.

Even though the training works, it's not as good as it is made out to be. In our case, we've got thousands of suppliers and it is just not humanly possible for us to keep creating templates for each one of these suppliers. What we would need is an out-of-the-box extraction to be even more accurate, or for the training to improve in such a way that just the training should be able to give us a reasonable amount of accuracy. I know that 100% is too high a limit to aim at, however, even if we get close to 85% to 90% margin, it would be much better. Something that could do that out of the box would solve most of the problems.

ABBYY introduced a reporting data warehouse last December, however, that reporting data warehouse has its own fair share of problems. Something like accuracy and completeness of out-of-the-box recognition is something that should be available as part of your default reports in the tool itself. Right now, that is missing.

ABBYY provides a document definition for an invoice, however, that invoice is a supplier invoice. In our organization, we deal with commercial invoices most of the time. The problem there is that supplier invoices. If you put them into the system, it gives you around 80% to 85% accuracy out of the box. However, with commercial invoices, you only get around 60% accuracy out of the box.

Based on the input that we have provided, ABBYY is now working on including the commercial invoices as well as part of that default invoice document definition. They are working on that as well. There are a lot of minor things that have come up. For example, when you create a template, ABBYY claims that you can export the default template that is generated as part of the training, and then make changes to that and then import it back. What we found was that the concept applies only to certain things. The training of the line items cannot be exported as a template. They said it's to do with the way machine learning was being applied and all that. However, these are all things which kind of increase the development time.

I have a couple of years' experience with this solution. I've been working with it since about 2019.

The performance can improve. Even though we have tried out the solution's provider, ABBYY, in terms of having more processing stations, all still boils down to the fact of how your application is configured. For example, in our case, we have about five processing stations in production. When we started off, it took almost 60 seconds to process one page because of the complex nature of our application. We had around five document types, and each type has to be classified based on a set of keywords, and then you had to apply the document definitions on top of them. Then it goes through this concept of the generic layout and the additional layout and so forth. Almost every page used to take about 60 seconds on average. Then we made a lot of tweaks to the application and then we brought it down to around 22 seconds per page.

That said, even then, when you're talking about the space that we are in, the domain that we are working in, sometimes a 100-page document has to be processed within around 30 minutes. If you take a 100-page document, only for processing that itself, it takes almost close to an hour. Then, what happens is that additional stages like verification, et cetera, by the time the data is exported and uploaded into the target system, it's taken too long.

With the normal ABBYY support, you go to support.abby.com and you raise tickets. The support is almost immediate. There are constant responses that come to you. However, what I've also seen is that there are a lot of complex problems for which we have not gotten the solution we need. While the response has been great, if you asked me whether all the queries for the problems that we raised have been solved, the answer is no. On the other hand, we also have a chance to interact with the ABBYY professional services team directly due to the contract that has been established with our organization. They are a wonderful bunch of people and there's this personal rapport that we have with them. We get in touch with them on a weekly basis and our query is resolved.

In our organization, it is the IT team that takes care of the installation. I do not have much information about the process and I wasn't really a part of it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

I'd advise users that, when you start off with your first project on FlexiCapture, choose a project which has at least something which can accommodate a very high pattern. For example, if you're going to go for a use case wherein documents have to be processed within the next 30 minutes, you're going to face a lot of problems. ABBYY is a wonderful tool, however, it has got its own set of constraints. It's very important to understand the constraints of the tool.

The strength of the ABBYY FlexiCapture license is the OCR engine. However, if you're extracting it to process millions of documents within a very small amount of time, that is not going to happen.

It's very, very important for the final operators who are going to use the tool to understand what OCR is all about. The problems that we face are not technical at all. It is about trying to convince people, people who have been doing operations manually to change their processes. If you have a situation where people are looking at documents, looking at the data, and entering it into a system, and then come and tell them that the solution will extract that information automatically and they just have to verify that information, they'll need to change their approach.

It's very important to get the business team who will be doing the verification into a meeting, in order to help them understand what OCR is, and also its limitations.

You will need to specify the stock field and the zones. OCR is able to learn on its own and understand how to extract data from it. However, there are certain things that you will have to teach people. You have to tell them the fact that a page is converted into black and white, and that the gray areas either cannot be black or white as certain characters that are being recognized may turn out to be something else. OCR tells you the level of confidence based on what gets extracted. All this has to be translated to the business team so that they understand the tool and its limitations. If you do this, you can ensure the success of the project.

Therefore, while ABBYY, as a tool, is great, there is a lot of work that needs to be done before you start implementing it.

I'd rate the solution overall at a nine out of ten. We have had to initiate a lot of fixes, however, overall, it's quite good.

Saamir Hussain - PeerSpot reviewer
    RPA Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    A perfect, comprehensive, and accurate tool for unstructured data
    • "There are a lot of options in ABBYY FlexiCapture, and it is very vast. I have worked with multiple OCR tools, and I found ABBYY FlexiCapture to be the most accurate tool."
    • "In IRISXtract, we can have master data, and we can set the master data. There are more options for taking any data and comparing it with master data. For a project, they have a dump from SAP for validation. This feature is there in ABBYY, but it is not extensive like IRISXtract. ABBYY is capturing the data, but there are not a lot of options to validate the captured data. It would be helpful if there are more options for validating the captured data in ABBYY FlexiCapture."

What is our primary use case?

I was using ABBYY FlexiCapture for invoices and purchase orders. We had invoices coming from a German client. From those invoices, we had to capture the invoice number, purchase order number, and invoice date. There were also line items, total quantity, and total sum. We had to take these things in an XML format or a CSV format. The outputs from these invoices were put into an application by an RPA project. So, we were basically using ABBYY FlexiCapture to capture all those details from invoices. In India, we have PAN Card and Aadhaar Card, and I was using ABBYY FlexiCapture to configure PAN Card and Aadhaar Card.

How has it helped my organization?

The client had around 400 to 500 vendors, and every day, the client was receiving thousands of invoices. It was a very hectic task for them to capture all those invoices into the application. It was not possible for them to capture all the fields by using any RPA tool because RPA can handle any structured data, but invoices are totally unstructured. So, we needed an intelligent OCR tool. That's when ABBY FlexiCapture came into the picture.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of options in ABBYY FlexiCapture, and it is very vast. I have worked with multiple OCR tools, and I found ABBYY FlexiCapture to be the most accurate tool.

The key-value pair and relation were most valuable. Because the invoices were coming from different vendors, it was possible that they would come in different formats. The idea was to capture data from all formats. There were key-value pairs and nearest to the X coordinate or Y coordinate, and with a lot of hits and trials, I was able to get the exact fields configured for every invoice.

What needs improvement?

There are very few resources of knowledge. Whenever I got any doubt, I have to raise a ticket into their support forum. I can't find anything in Google or on YouTube. There is no training material, so it was very hard to learn in the initial days. The information about other tools is available on YouTube and other platforms, but ABBYY FlexiCapture is nowhere available to learn for free. They have documentation on their website, but it is very basic. It is not adequate for working on any live project.

ABBYY FlexiCapture has given a basic kind of project for capturing data from invoices, but I feel it is not sufficient for Indian invoices. A lot of times, some of the fields were not getting captured for new invoices. For such kinds of invoices, there is a training field. So, we can train it for the fields that it is not capturing so that when the same kind of invoice comes next time, ABBYY FlexiCapture will pick up these fields from those particular areas.

Another pain area was that clients were not giving proper invoices. We had clearly mentioned the proper DP for these invoices, but few invoices were not readable from ABBYY.

In IRISXtract, we can have master data, and we can set the master data. There are more options for taking any data and comparing it with master data. For a project, they have a dump from SAP for validation. This feature is there in ABBYY, but it is not extensive like IRISXtract. ABBYY is capturing the data, but there are not a lot of options to validate the captured data. It would be helpful if there are more options for validating the captured data in ABBYY FlexiCapture.

I last used it six months ago.

It takes time to get it stable. If a client has a lot of customers, and a lot of invoices from different vendors are coming, then all those invoices will not work in ABBYY FlexiCapture until and unless we configure each and every one of them.

It is scalable. There is no other tool in the market that is as creative, as vast, and as accurate as ABBYY FlexiCapture. If you have proper and complete knowledge and all the training for ABBYY FlexiCapture, then you can make it scalable in the organization. You need proper training.

I am not sure about the number of users in the whole organization, but in my team, there were four people who were using it. There were also two people from the RPA side. They all were RPA consultants and developers. There was also a team for Power BI for putting information about the number of invoices processed on a dashboard.

After that project was live, I was moved to a different project. Other people came into the picture for the support role. I was put in a purely RPA-based project. I'm working in Blue Prism for the last six to seven months.

If I send a query, they do reply. If it is a proper query with screenshots, they give you a solution very quickly. If you have a licensed version of ABBYY, they provide proper support.

I've worked with IRISXtract, and I've worked with OCR tools of RPA solutions such as UiPath, which has its own document visualization tool. I find ABBYY FlexiCapture to be most perfect for configuring any type of unstructured data.

IRISXtract is not a good tool. I struggled a lot with that tool. ABBYY FlexiCapture is much better than IRISXtract. ABBYY FlexiCapture is using the ABBYY OCR engine, and IRISXtract is using the Google Tesseract OCR engine. ABBYY's OCR engine is more accurate.

ABBYY FlexiCapture and ABBYY FineReader are licensed, and we can't get them for free, whereas Google Tesseract is a free OCR. In terms of capturing a full invoice from start to end, at least ABBYY's OCR engine is giving line breaks and other things, whereas Google Tesseract OCR, as well as Microsoft OCR, are not giving it in a proper manner. They give everything as a single string without any spaces or a new line. So, ABBYY has more intelligence.

IRISXtract provides more options for taking any data and comparing it with master data.

I initially worked on a PoC. I got a lot of doubts initially, and ABBYY's forum was very helpful. Whenever I posted any queries, they replied in minutes. The deployment was straightforward. We did the whole project in six months, which includes RPA and hosting into SAP application.

What other advice do I have?

Before starting any project in ABBYY FlexiCapture, it would be better to have a few sessions with their product team or technical team to clarify all the doubts. If you have started a project and in the middle, you ask for their advice, it becomes hectic because they might ask you to change your approach. So, getting any support from them initially is always helpful.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using ABBYY FlexiCapture is that only by trying more, you can get to the exact solution. If you are working on an invoices project, you should try multiple types of invoices. The line item is a typical area because different types of invoices have different headers and columns. You need to make sure that you have proper knowledge before configuring any line items details.

I would rate ABBYY FlexiCapture a nine out of 10.

Balsimran Kaur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Effective information extraction, good machine learning capabilities, and stable
    • "While using ABBYY FlexiCapture we did not use the generic models that they do have for invoice and purchase orders. For one of the use-cases, the document was exactly the purchase order, but we are not using that generic model. We are creating the model from Scratch. However, if I was to compare ABBYY FlexiCapture with other IA tools, the machine learning and how the extraction is done is far better than competitors. This allows a lot less effort for the development."
    • "The generic models have a lot of areas to improve. In our experience, we are not able to get good results in the generic models. From a developer's point of view, there could be more improvement if the source code is available on a broader scope"

What is our primary use case?

One use case was known as Manual Order and it was a type of invoice processing. When a customer had or was going to receive invoices from different distribution centers, which all could be accessed in different formats. For example, they could be different templates, be digital, and scanned. There could a wide range of variations. The purpose or the aim of FlexiCapture is to extract the information out of those invoices, such as a certain number of fields, which we need to extract from the invoice and that sent on into the SAP. For the SAP we were using Pega. There is integration between ABBYY FlexiCapture and Pega to solve the whole use case.

The second use case was for claims. For example, if a customer was supported to get a claim from the distribution center but some of the quantity was not being sent to them correctly or the price was not good, they would send those for correction. One claim could have multiple claims in between them that could have a price difference or quantity difference. It is more complex than device processing because it has more variations in the template. It has more business complex routes. On the FlexiCapture, we are extracting the data out of this document. We implemented some of the business tools and we are using Pega to revalidate the data in the SAP to correct it.

Additionally, we have four or five business processes that are already running in production with Blue Prism and ABBYY FlexiCapture.

What is most valuable?

While using ABBYY FlexiCapture we did not use the generic models that they do have for invoice and purchase orders. For one of the use-cases, the document was exactly the purchase order, but we are not using that generic model. We are creating the model from Scratch. However, if I was to compare ABBYY FlexiCapture with other IA tools, the machine learning and how the extraction is done is far better than competitors. This allows a lot less effort for the development.

What needs improvement?

The generic models have a lot of areas to improve. In our experience, we are not able to get good results in the generic models. From a developer's point of view, there could be more improvement if the source code is available on a broader scope. It is a low code platform but it requires implementing more complex code to be able to accomplish certain tasks. We are not able to tune the model on a programming level because we do not have the source code to do it. From a business point of view, ABBYY FlexiCapture is one of the best platforms for machine learning. The solution does not have anything related to RPA or robotics, but we can integrate it easily with a Pega or Blue Prism for these features.

ABBYY FlexiCapture has a lot of functionality but it does not have options to implement more machine learning business rules. It does not have the option to write the logic to implement other options according to the business. Most people do not like to choose ABBYY because of the lack of those functions, such as reading email or saving them to excel, they use other tools for these activities. If ABBYY had these functionalities more people would use it and it would be more useful.

I have been using the solution for approximately a year and a half.

The solution is stable. However, new versions come out frequently and our customers do not have a choice whether they are going to update since it is on the cloud. They still have to make sure it does not have any negative effect on their exciting solution in a bad way.

There are times it takes a lot of time when we submit a document to FlexiCapture in between getting the results When this happens we raise a ticket to the ABBYY team and it gets released very quickly.

We have approximately four people in my organization using the solution. It is not the majority of the teams. We had five customers for which we were working with this solution, we had a trial contract with another tool, but due to some reason, the customer wanted to use FlexiCapture. I am one of those four people who have this experience in the ABBYY FlexiCapture.

We have plans to increase the usage of the solution.

My experience with customer service has been really good. I have not contacted them directly, but they do have forums. When we initially started, I had posted some technical questions and I did get a response from them.

ABBYY FlexiCapture is not very old which causes a limited knowledge base for assistance, this is possible because there are not a lot of people using it. There is documentation from the ABBYY FlexiCapture which is okay. However, if you start working with the solution, the practical knowledge is better than what you will find in the documentation.

Before using FlexiCapture we were previously using WorkFusion. It is an RPA or IA tool that has both the RPA plus machine learning. PNG decided to reconstruct those use cases and some others with the ABBYY FlexiCapture.

We did the installation for our own company, it is not very difficult because the customer service is good and are you will be given a particular team who will be responsible for the deployment.

We used the deployment team from ABBYY FlexiCapture for the implementation. The time it took was approximately two months including all customization and licensing.

Most of our customers have purchased an annual license and if you have multiple developers from other companies, you can assign the license on a monthly basis to developers.

We have licenses for ABBYY FlexiCapture for our company.

We did evaluate other options with our customers before choosing ABBYY FlexiCapture.

What other advice do I have?

My advice when doing the implementation is to do the practice mode rather than only going through the certification and documentation. It is better to implement the model, instead of using the generic model.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate ABBYY FlexiCapture an eight out of ten.

RPA Developer/Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Supports on-premises installation and has good OCR engine, support, and scalability
    • "Its OCR Engine is very successful, and it is the leading OCR Engine. It also has NLP support."
    • "Their tutorials are not enough. They can improve the tutorials and maybe add more examples in their tutorials. Currently, if you want to learn ABBYY technology, it is very difficult. There are just a few resources, such as YouTube channels and blogs. There are not many resources for learning ABBYY."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for document processing. We have PDF documents, and we need to extract tables from those documents. We use ABBYY FlexiCapture to extract tables.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to extract tables from PDF files. Before ABBYY FlexiCapture, it was done manually. We had to manually input tables into our banking system. We could automate that with FlexiCapture. It is also integrated with RPA. So, FlexiCapture just extracts the information, and RPA takes that information and enters it into the banking system.

What is most valuable?

Its OCR Engine is very successful, and it is the leading OCR Engine. It also has NLP support.

In FlexiLayout Studio, you can create your own variables. It works great for semi-structured documents.

What needs improvement?

Their tutorials are not enough. They can improve the tutorials and maybe add more examples in their tutorials. Currently, if you want to learn ABBYY technology, it is very difficult. There are just a few resources, such as YouTube channels and blogs. There are not many resources for learning ABBYY.

It would be great if they can make a community edition to use ABBYY. Currently, if you want to try ABBYY, you have to contact a salesperson and take a trial license, which is complicated. They should just give a community edition or a free edition with a few features.

Its licensing is very expensive and should be improved.

I have been using this solution since 2019.

We didn't encounter any crashing. It is stable, but it has some bugs. For example, the PDF quality is very good, and you can read the text easily, but sometimes, ABBYY FlexiCapture reads it incorrectly. It is not very frequent, but it can cause a problem for some of the documents.

For such bugs, we open tickets with ABBYY, and they try to solve the issue. If they are able to solve the issue, they send us the solution, and we apply that. Sometimes, they weren't able to solve it, so they took that ticket to their backlog, and after a new release, they notified us that they have solved a problem in the new release.

We don't have a problem with scalability. In the beginning, our volume of documents was small, but it has increased about 10 times. It works without any problems. If we want to increase its capacity, we put another machine, and it defines a processing station. So, we can increase its capacity easily.

Currently, I am the only one using it in my company. I do all the administration and create new templates. Its maintenance is also done by me.

We plan to increase its usage. At the moment, we are using ABBYY in just one project, but there are upcoming projects that require ABBYY.

Their tech support was successful. I would give them a nine or a 10 out of 10.

The deployment process was a little bit tricky for us. We didn't take professionals for the installation or deployment process. We learned how to deploy it from other sources such as YouTube or blogs, and we did it ourselves, but it took about a week to deploy. Now, if I want to deploy it, it will just take one or two days. At that time, we didn't have ABBYY expertise, so we learned how to do it and tried to deploy it. Three people were involved in its installation.

Its maintenance is done by me. It requires some manual effort. For example, for some templates, I do some updates, and there is some manual work. I go to document definitions and remove the other one. I then upload the new one and do some settings.

For an operational process, about 40 people were dedicated previously, but now, five people can do the same work by using ABBYY integrated with RPA. It is not just ABBYY; there is also the RPA part. ABBYY is used just for data extraction from PDF files.

Its price is a little bit high and can be lower. Its licensing is very expensive. I don't remember exactly, but for each page, it is about four or seven cents, which is too expensive.

Before using ABBYY, we considered many products. We considered Ephesoft and other document processing engines, but ABBYY was the most successful one. There may be other successful vendors, but they don't have very strong support in our region. ABBYY's support is very strong in our region. Other tools also do not provide on-prem installation. They are cloud-based, so we chose ABBYY.

Their sales team was great. They were very helpful, and their technology is great.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for an on-prem solution, ABBYY would be better, but if you are looking for a cloud solution, you can use other platforms. Google and Microsoft have great data extraction tools that are cloud-based.

I would rate ABBYY FlexiCapture an eight out of 10. Its licensing price is high, and there are no training materials that you can use easily. There should also be a trial or community version.

Mauricio  Dias - PeerSpot reviewer
    C Document and Data For Automation at PRTi Digital
    A powerful and independent platform with good ability to scale for big processes, good accuracy, and good stability
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to scale for big processes. We are able to process 1 million pages a day. Its accuracy is also very nice. It is a good feature that they have. It is an independent platform, which is its biggest advantage as compared to other solutions. It is also very stable and powerful. It is 100% on time."
    • "They should improve the RESTful API side of this solution. Currently, fully RESTful API is not available in the on-prem version, which is really a problem, and we have to work around this limitation. The cloud version already has a fully RESTful API, but the on-prem version doesn't have a fully RESTful API, which is a big mistake. It is easy to solve, but they aren't solving it quicker. They are taking a long time. Nowadays, most people don't go to the interface. They like to use RESTful API."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mostly for processing Brazilian servicing invoices and personnel documents and contracts, such as personnel ID cards.

I am a strategic partner of ABBYY here in Brazil. I deploy this solution for the customers. We mostly deploy it on a customer's cloud infrastructure. It is not the cloud side from ABBYY. It is like on-premises, but it is in the cloud of the customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of our customers work with RPA. On the cognition side, you have to look at the document and also create some intelligent rules to validate the data from the document. We give the bots the ability to put documents to be processed, and then the bots give back the results to move on to the next task in the process. In the process on which bots are working, there are two high-value workflows that require finding things and using judgment. Both are conditional logic.

When talking about documents, RPA can read the full text of the document, but it cannot understand the rules of a document as a human does. This is something ABBYY can do very easily. You put some rules in the ABBYY task, and ABBYY will say, "Okay, so this invoice is $20, and 10% tax is $2." If the tax is $3, ABBYY will say, "Look! There is a mistake here with this tax amount." ABBYY is able to understand the content and the context of the document and give it back to the RPA to go on with the task.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to scale for big processes. We are able to process 1 million pages a day. Its accuracy is also very nice. It is a good feature that they have.

It is an independent platform, which is its biggest advantage as compared to other solutions. It is also very stable and powerful. It is 100% on time.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the RESTful API side of this solution. Currently, fully RESTful API is not available in the on-prem version, which is really a problem, and we have to work around this limitation. The cloud version already has a fully RESTful API, but the on-prem version doesn't have a fully RESTful API, which is a big mistake. It is easy to solve, but they aren't solving it quicker. They are taking a long time. Nowadays, most people don't go to the interface. They like to use RESTful API.

I have been using this solution for about 20 years.

It is very stable and powerful.

It is easily scalable. It is for all kinds of customers. Our customers are small, medium, and large businesses. RPAs are used in all kinds of organizations nowadays, and documents are always involved. RPAs are used even for testing and learning, and documents are always a problem.

Our clients do plan to increase the usage of this solution in the future. FlexiCapture is able to scale or spread in the department without having the need for any other RPA tool or AI tool.

They are very good and fast. If you find any vulnerability or there is an issue in scaling this solution, they are very fast in fixing the issue.

It is very easy to deploy but only after we have handled the security side of the customer. It is not complex, but, like any other server-based solution, things have to be clarified with the security team and the IT team. The biggest friction is not involving all the teams from the customer side, especially the security teams.

Our implementation strategy is to involve everyone two or three months before. This is because the businesses that purchase the solution sometimes don't have a good relationship with the IT team. We go to a workshop with them and try to understand their concerns, which takes two or three days. Its installation takes one or two days.

Our clients evaluate Kofax, UiPath, Brainware, and Nuance. The competition is big here. FlexiCapture is the most independent solution. It is an independent platform, which is its biggest advantage. You are not dependent on other solutions. In UiPath, you depend on scaling the RPA to spread OCR.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. My advice is to engage with a professional services provider at the beginning for installation, deployment, and training. Don't try to do it on your own because it is a very powerful and big solution. You'll have to learn it before you try to use it. Don't do it yourself.

I would rate ABBYY FlexiCapture a nine out of ten. It is missing only RESTful API.

Senior Consultant at Inovoo GmbH
    Very scalable and easy to set up but has a slow response for technical support
    • "We have found the solution to be stable so far."
    • "The solution needs more web or cloud-based development."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used mostly for form extraction, fixed form extraction, text forms, data extraction, OCR, et cetera. We use it for digital document processing.

How has it helped my organization?

We run software that does basically business process automation. It's given us a form extraction utility to add. We're utilizing the ATR in the FlexiCapture engine, and in that way, we can use the FlexiCapture engine to process forms. Any forms that contain data, we can extract.

Without that, we would have to use pattern extraction, regular expressions, and things like that. This is a forms processing engine, which allows us to be able to set anchors and OCR values, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The form extractions engine and the FlexiCapture designer are really useful.

The solution is easy to set up.

We have found the solution to be stable so far.

The product is extremely scalable.

What needs improvement?

The UI is okay, however, I remember the scanning and the way that you actually get documents into the system. The FlexiCapture, what they call a process developer, could use some work.

The solution needs more web or cloud-based development. Cloud-based FlexiCapture development would be great.

The on-premise web version doesn't seem to be intuitive or easy to use or install. It's not user-friendly.

Technical support is slow to respond.

The pricing is a bit high and we are looking into other options.

I've been using the solution for three years now. I've used it for a while.

The stability is good. It's a reliable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution scales very, very well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about ten users on the solution right now. They are mostly developers and consultants.

Technical support could be better. once you create a ticket, it takes some time for them to respond, from a partner perspective. You send a ticket to an email address. There's no phone number. You can send it to support@abbyy.com and you have to wait.

They do have a fairly thorough knowledge base. There are also available videos on YouTube. However, if you're having complex problems, it can take sometimes days for them to respond. If you're running a professional system, that's not going to cut it.

I don't know if they have level levels of support, and we have maybe just a really poor version of the support system. I can imagine that, if you pay for a really high level of support, then, of course, they're available. That said, from our perspective, being a partner developer, we've had problems with the support, for sure. If you pay for Professional Services hours, it would be my assumption that they would respond right away, however.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy. It was not too complex or overly difficult.

Licensing is paid on a yearly basis. I don't know the exact price of everything, however, I do know that it is expensive from the perspective of our management team. We've also been looking for other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner with ABBYY.

I'm using version 12. I believe it is the latest version. I haven't seen any updates as of recently. There could be a version 14 out, however, I'm not sure. We're using the desktop version.

I would advise those considering the solution to watch the YouTube lessons and pay for Professional Services training and assistance.

At this point, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Download our free ABBYY FlexiCapture Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022