Veritas Backup Exec OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas Backup Exec is the #15 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Veritas Backup Exec an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Veritas Backup Exec is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veritas Backup Exec vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Veritas Backup Exec is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas Backup Exec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Veritas Backup Exec is a unified data backup and recovery solution designed for small to midsize businesses. The software offers data protection for customers whether the data exists in physical, virtual, or cloud environments. Its main purpose is to ensure your business-critical data is never at risk of being lost, stolen, or corrupted.

Veritas Backup Exec Features

Veritas Backup Exec has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Easy-to-use interface: With Veritas Backup Exec, the interface enables you to quickly track and monitor all backup and recovery activity.
  • Two-factor authentication: Veritas Backup Exec gives you the ability to layer security access with two-factor authentication, which also helps to prevent malicious code injection.
  • Extra protection: By using Veritas Backup Exec, your organization can seamlessly protect VMware, Microsoft and Linux platforms from the same user console.
  • Cloud data protection: Veritas Backup Exec offers deployable marketplace templates for both AWS and Azure as well as certified cloud connectors for all major cloud vendors.
  • Security and compliance: Veritas Backup Exec ensures your data is compliant in every location, in addition to protecting you from ransomware attacks.

Veritas Backup Exec Benefits

Some of the benefits of using Veritas Backup Exec include:

• Scalability: As your data management needs grow, Veritas Backup Exec seamlessly scales to meet them.
  • Smart integrations: Veritas Backup Exec provides you with consolidated reporting of your entire data ecosystem via Veritas Usage Insights. The solution also protects SaaS workloads and applications, including Microsoft 365, Google Cloud, and Salesforce with NetBackup SaaS Protection. And it includes integration with Azure Site Recovery for instant cloud-based disaster recovery.
  • Desktop and laptop version: Veritas Backup Exec was built with geographically diverse workloads in mind. It offers automated endpoint data protection for both Windows and Mac.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Veritas Backup Exec users.

An IT Network Analyst at a manufacturing company says, “The backup potential of the solution is very good. It's protected us in the past very well and allowed us to get up and running after an attack with minimal loss. As far as if we need to restore a file, the solution absolutely has improved the way our organization functions. It saves us a lot of time. We're backing up all of our servers with it.”

PeerSpot user Masoud G., Senior Network Administrator at MapnaBE, mentions, “I prefer to use a tape library and Veritas Backup Exec is fully compatible with different tape libraries. So I prefer this software. It also has easy user and file recovery.”

Kayode O., Chief Technology Officer at a tech company, explains, “This solution creates a differential backup to reduce storage requirements. This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it. Veritas offers granular restore, which is an option that many other solutions do not have. It allows you to restore, for example, a single SharePoint document, rather than an entire site.”

Rowland G., Product Brand Manager at Epsidon Technology Distribution, states, “The one thing for the last 12 months which has been very good for Veritas was the instance-based license. This means that you're able to license per instance, not only per physical server. And also, the incremental backup which they introduced for virtual servers, where it makes it much quicker to restore, it just automatically is able to mount it back to the original backup. This makes it much quicker when you're doing the restore.”

Veritas Backup Exec was previously known as Backup Exec, Symantec Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec Customers

Beta Offshore

Veritas Backup Exec Video

Veritas Backup Exec Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas Backup Exec pricing:
  • "It is affordable, but I hope that the price will come down a lot because of other competitors. It is a good price for the customer, but sometimes, the competition provides a much lower price. There are two ways to license it. You can license it per instance or per terabytes of data that we are mocking up. It is enough because it is not so complex. It is good when you're working with customers."
  • "There is an evaluation license available to test this solution."
  • "The solution costs $700 per agent and is expensive compared to other products that offer better stability."
  • "It has a good price-value ratio. Its price-value ratio is better than Veeam."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • Veritas Backup Exec Reviews

IT Network Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Excellent backup capabilities with good technical support and a fairly easy initial setup
    • "The backup potential of the solution is very good. It's protected us in the past very well and allowed us to get up and running after an attack with minimal loss."
    • "Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution daily for daily backups and weekly for full backups and monthly for the stuff that gets sent off-site.

How has it helped my organization?

As far as if we need to restore a file, the solution absolutely has improved the way our organization functions. It saves us a lot of time. We're backing up all of our servers with it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The product needs to be consistent. Within the process itself, a lot of times it will hang on the jobs and you have to then restart all the services to get it to release. The job rate sometimes just randomly will tank. Therefore, you have to stop jobs and restart them in order to get them back at a quicker pace. Those are probably the two worst features.

Something within the software itself isn't quite right. There may be a bug or glitch. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just tanks.

Veritas Backup Exec
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Veritas Backup Exec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for about 12 years, however, it's my understanding that the company itself has likely used it longer.

We've found some sort of bug or glitch in the solution that makes it a bit unpredictable. It will work fine for weeks and then all of a sudden it just stops and takes a dive.

That said, it's pretty stable. I would probably say, it is at least 90% stable. It's that 10% where the job rates have a little bit of a problem. I was hoping that this newest version would be better, however, it has the same issues as older versions.

The solution's scalability is actually getting better. I have not tried to go into the virtual world with it, however, it says that the product can do it. I've not tried it due to the fact that we're using the other products for it, and have Veeam for a virtual solution.

There are three of us that would potentially could go into the product to use it. That includes a network administrator and myself.

At this point, we don't have plans to increase usage.

I have never used technical support personally just yet. The previous administrator had to for a couple of different issues and they mentioned that support was good.

I'm not sure if a different solution was ever used. I've been at this company for 12 years and we have only used it. They used it even before I arrived. I'm not sure if anything came before it.

The initial implementation was actually fairly easy. It was pretty straightforward. I actually just rebuilt it and put it onto a newer server. It is actually very easy.

I had deployed within a day due to the fact that I was familiar with it. If somebody wasn't familiar with it, might take them up to a couple of days to do it. I was very familiar with it and therefore could do it pretty fast. It took me just a few hours or probably a day's worth of work to get everything in there, the way I wanted it.

We do not require any additional staff for deployment and maintenance.

We handled the implementation in-house. We didn't require a consultant or reseller to assist us.

Any time any of these products can back up your systems so that you can quickly restore them or restore files is most definitely beneficial to your company.

The solution is not the cheapest option. It's pretty pricey.

Although I know that we pay for it yearly, in March, I'm not sure of the exact costs.

The pricing goes by different types of databases that you're backing up. It's more expensive, for example, if you have an SQL database depending on what you're backing up.

I don't recall paying anything beyond a standard licensing fee for the product.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently considering looking for a new solution. We want to see what is out there. This product is also quite expensive.

Having a reliable backup is essential to your company. For example, we were using this product to back up one of our servers that got the CryptoLocker virus. We were able to go back and restore it to just a few hours previous to the attack and we were able to get everybody right back up and running within a day, in less than a day's time. It absolutely could have just spread right through the whole environment had we not caught it. This solution gave us the ability to be able to get back up with minimal data loss.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If they were able to take out some of the bugs we have found I'd rate it higher.

Pawel Augustyn - PeerSpot reviewer
    Pawel AugustynSystem Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Top 5LeaderboardReal User

A useful function that is missing in other big backup solutions is that Backup Exec can run the backup process directly to tape.

Alex Ntow - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at EITBS Ltd
    Reseller
    Supports synthetic backup and allows you to start virtual machines on the backup set and do multiple things in one backup configuration
    • "Synthetic backup is valuable. It gives you the possibility to do a synthesized backup, which means that it combines a full backup and incremental backup data and gives it to you in one stream. So, you don't have to restore the full backup and then later go and restore the incremental backup. You can do that in one go."
    • "I wish that they have an outlet for the other products from Veritas built into the Backup Exec product. For example, Backup Exec does only server backup. Currently, it is possible to read the backup of one other product, but if they can add more products so that you can just go into the dashboard of these other products by clicking on a button within the Backup Exec product, it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

It is for backup and business continuity. You have a technology in there that allows you to start virtual machines on the backup set of data, which is really cool stuff. It also allows you to have an image of your environment. You can drop an image onto a virtual machine and just spin that environment up.

It supports cloud and on-prem deployments. If you have the infrastructure in the cloud, you can deploy it there. If you want an on-prem solution, that also works. The cloud provider is usually Amazon, but it doesn't really matter.

What is most valuable?

Synthetic backup is valuable. It gives you the possibility to do a synthesized backup, which means that it combines a full backup and incremental backup data and gives it to you in one stream. So, you don't have to restore the full backup and then later go and restore the incremental backup. You can do that in one go.

It has also got some backup lifecycle policies that allow you to do different things in one backup definition. So, in one backup definition, you are backing up data, copying it to another place, and probably creating an image of the data. You are doing multiple things in one backup configuration, which is very good because it simplifies the way administrators work.

What needs improvement?

They should also increase the number of applications that it is backing up currently.

I've been working with this product, in general, for about five years.

It is very stable. I would rate it a ten out of ten in terms of stability.

It is scalable and manageable. Some of the solutions can scale but become complex to manage. This is scalable and easily manageable.

They provide great support. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

Positive

It is very simple and straightforward. It is done in 30 minutes. One engineer is enough for its deployment.

The whole implementation in a small-sized or medium-sized environment takes a maximum of three days. In a large one, it depends on the number of machines and different use cases that you're looking at, but usually, in a week, you are done. In the first two to three days, you would have done quite a lot of the deployment. It is just more about having conversations with the backup admin to understand, for example, how often they want the data backed up and other little things, but in terms of getting the solution to work, it is pretty straightforward.

The ROI is really good, and it is better than most of the other competing products. I would rate it a four out of five in this aspect.

It is affordable, but I hope that the price will come down a lot because of other competitors. It is a good price for the customer, but sometimes, the competition provides a much lower price.

What other advice do I have?

OEM has always been a data company. They've always wanted to protect data. The methodology, the idea, or the concept behind the Backup Exec application is that you can back up and restore your data, and you can go to sleep. There are other newer solutions on the market. Of course, they also do the job, but when it comes to working in a simple manner, Backup Exec does the job well. So, one should not just say that Backup Exec is a product that has been around for a long time, and it is not modern. Backup Exec is very modern, very fresh. You should at least try it out before you make any decisions.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Veritas Backup Exec
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Chief Technology Officer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
    Supports differential backup, as well as granular file restore from specific points in backup history
    • "This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it."
    • "The price of this solution is very high."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and some of my clients are using this solution.

The primary use case is to back up system applications such as SQL databases and Microsoft Exchange. It is also for backing up the user's files, which are kept on the server.

This solution will back up your server, and it will work on both Windows and Linux.

My experience is with an on-premises deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows my clients to restore a backup from a specific point in time.

What is most valuable?

This solution creates a differential backup to reduce storage requirements.

This solution is not complex and you do not have to be too technical to use it.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is very high. It has a lot of features, but it is still kind of expensive for emerging markets, for example, in Africa. The problem comes from the fact that it costs more to back up the data than it is actually worth. A client may ask: "Why should I spend ten thousand dollars to back up data that is worth only two thousand?" They need to have a customizable license, or a different license for countries with emergent markets, such as Nigeria. Nigeria is a very big market, with a population of two hundred million, but it is also a competitive market and products need to be priced competitively in order to remain.

I would like to see an unlimited appliance that does not have a backup limit. If I have a customer who chooses to use the backup appliance then they should not be limited to, for example, ten terabytes.

This solution is very stable.

This solution scales very easily. As soon as you add a new server, it backs it up immediately.

Technical support for this solution is very good. When you run into a problem you can call them at any time. They respond very quickly and are ready to assist you.

The initial setup of this solution is not difficult. It takes between forty-five minutes and an hour to set up.

I deploy this solution for my clients, and I contact Vertias if I have any trouble. They ensure that you have a successful implementation.

Depending on the size of the environment, the deployment can take two or three days.

The number of people required to maintain this solution depends on the complexity of the environment, but I would say that one or two people is sufficient.

When my customers see the price of this solution, they are unsure whether they will ever see a return on their investment.

There is an evaluation license available to test this solution.

My clients have used Micro Focus Data Protector (when it was called HP Data Protector), and they were not satisfied with it.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the data being backed up, it can take a couple of hours to complete.

This is a solution that keeps evolving with technology. They know the trend of cyber attacks, so Veritas try as much as possible to build up their backup solution to combat whatever attack is in trend. They recently sent me a document that shows that their data protection can mitigate against ransomware. This is good for enterprise clients because it shows that they are thinking of their customers.

A lot of organizations today are afraid of ransomware, and Veritas is ensuring that they are strengthening their data protection to combat or mitigate such attacks. It is something that any enterprise needs to embrace.

I have used other data protection solutions and I see Veritas as one of the best in the market. This solution also has options, such as granular restore, that are not available in other products.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good for physical backups but not for virtual backups because agents are required
    • "Recovery via Active Directory is painless and much easier than the complicated setup procedures of other products."
    • "The solution is too heavy and complex with 1,000 menus and options that make it messy rather than lightweight."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to provide virtual and physical backups for our clients. Most of our clients are small businesses and our team of five engineers capably manages their projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for physical backups.

Recovery via Active Directory is painless and much easier than the complicated setup procedures of other products.

What needs improvement?

The tape library management tool needs improvement.

The solution is not good for virtual backups because antiviruses write on the disc in blocks and the high number of changes or flags increases backup times. Agents should not be installed on top of VM because they cause discs to get overloaded and that is costly.

Managing collapsed discs should not have any effect on the size of backups. The solution should be able continue increments and manage restorations without errors similarly to how Veeam handles the process. Active Directory restorations should not require an agent or additional things.

The solution is too heavy and complex with 1,000 menus and options that make it messy rather than lightweight.

I have been using the solution for fifteen years.

We worry about stability because the solution requires many components or agents to be installed such as Active Directory and Oracle which can cause issues. System-level restorations are always a headache and corruption causes everything to collapse.

For comparison, Veeam has a a one-click, granular restoration option that completes the process in two minutes. There are no agents involved in the process so there is greater confidence.

The solution is scalable and good when compared to other products that cause worry when performing backups.

I used technical support years ago and it was good. The 2012 edition was bad but technical support really tried to work with it.

There was an issue with a backup that took 24 hours to resolve, but by that time the backup had expired because support forgot to reset it.

I rate technical support a six out of ten.

Neutral

The setup is easy but ongoing management depends on whether the infrastructure is physical or virtual.

Backups take 40 minutes but can be complex depending on the environment.

I rate the setup process a four out of ten.

The solution is implemented in-house. Ongoing maintenance is easy and we provide this to customers.

Our backup support is handled by four engineers who build customer confidence in managing the process.

The solution costs $700 per agent and is expensive compared to other products that offer better stability.

I rate pricing a four out of ten.

The solution has similar features to other products but nothing in particular stands out.

The solution used to be a leader in the SME market. In 2010, it rolled out a new design with enhanced features but the 2012 update completely collapsed. The solution often changes names but there have been no improvements since 2012. It is also a headache to restore and fully trust corrupted Active Directories. The solution is failing due to lost market share that was captured by other products.

The virtualization movement happened drastically and VMware captured it because the solution was still an agent-based operation that required both client and virtualization licenses.

RecoverPoint has good replication because it manages split writing.

The only product that wows users is Veeam which operates in an agentless system. Acronis is doing well with its imaging solutions but they do not compete with or eliminate Veeam's dominance. At one point Veeam had issues restoring smaller files but the new release does extraordinary restoration.

What other advice do I have?

If you require an agent or a physical infrastructure, the solution is a good fit. If not, I ask clients to go with VMware or Veeam instead.

I rate the solution a five out of ten.

Product Brand Manager at Epsidon Technology Distribution
    Incremental backup and instance-based license are two of the many valuable features.
    • "The one thing for the last 12 months which has been very good for Veritas was the instance-based license. This means that you're able to license per instance, not only per physical server."
    • "The one thing which could be improved, which we have informed Veritas about, is the ability to plug in to the cloud. Meaning, instead of using local storage if we're backing up a small user or end user, we want to be able to make it so they can direct the backups directly to the cloud. It can't be done at the moment. We can only back up to the storage then replicate to the cloud, but we cannot use the cloud as a source of storage."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy Veritas Backup Exec for customers where they have a production site with between 10 terabytes and up to 50 terabytes of data where they then backup the data to their local storage and then replicate it to their site or to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

I work with partners and end customers, Backup exec is improving yearly and they are introducing new features which enhance things like quick recovery with forever backup, global dedupe, etc.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one thing which could be improved, which we have informed Veritas about, is the ability to plug in to the cloud. Meaning, instead of using local storage if we're backing up a small user or end user, we want to be able to make it so they can direct the backups directly to the cloud. It can't be done at the moment. We can only back up to the storage then replicate to the cloud, but we cannot use the cloud as a source of storage.

In terms of features, myself and my team are quite happy with most of the features. The only feature which we need is the plugin to the cloud. That's it. They've been doing a lot of improvements. The other part which they need to look at is the replication feature. In this case, we're talking about replicating between server to server. We do have a lot of competition from Veeam because of that. A lot of people want to have one server in the production side and one server at the other side, and replicate the servers across.

In my current position, I have been using Veritas Backup Exec three years, but I used the product previously when it was still under Symantec for four years.

100%. It's got great stability. In South Africa, it is widely used and it's got very good stability. Just that, as I said, only one improvement they need. Otherwise, the product itself is great.

It is scalable.

For one site you only need one person, max two. The administration or console is very easy to accommodate. One person is able to do that. That's no problem.

I work with technical support a lot whenever there are technical issues. They have been very good. Although they sometimes do battle with something, they eventually get it right. So I will rate them nine out of 10.

The initial setup is very easy.

Normally we take about two hours. It's just that sometime if the environment is old then you have to fix the environment first. But if everything work 100%, two hours, max four hours and then you're done.

What other advice do I have?

For customers, the main point is to make sure that the skill of the solution is readily available in the county. That's the reason why it is an easy product to adopt or to onboard in your environment, especially here in South Africa.

On a scale of one to ten, I'll give Veritas Backup Exec a nine out of 10. It's just one point I'm taking off because of those two small issues. We feel that the competition is using it against Veritas.

Pawel Augustyn - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good stability, good price-value ratio, and easy to use for backup, encryption, and restore operations
    • "It has good stability. Its interface is very good, responsive, and easy for restoring data. I use it for backup, encryption, and restore operations, and it works. I am using many agents from VM to LMDP. I also use an agent for SQL Server, which has advanced options because it is the Enterprise version."
    • "It is currently missing the dynamic backup feature for virtual machines, which is available in NetWorker. I can create politics in NetWorker to add virtual machines with specific tags, but I cannot do this in Backup Exec, which is a minus point for me. Currently, a user has to send a request to the Backup administrator to add a machine to the backup, but I should be able to create rules to automatically add a new machine to the backup. This kind of functionality is very important in current times, especially when we are using cloud solutions. I should be able to create more than one stream in a policy and specify how many streams I want to run in parallel in one policy. Currently, I have to manually create more policies to backup more than one virtual machine at the same time. Their support can also be improved in terms of response time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup MS SQL databases, backup NAS servers, backup virtual machines, and directly backup clients ( on windows servers).

How has it helped my organization?

All data sources are covered by a backup process which is very stable and fast.

A big advantage is that it can backup direct to tape.

What is most valuable?

It has good stability. Its interface is very good, responsive, and easily restores data. I use it for backup, encryption, and restore operations, and it works.

The possibility to back up and restore directly to/from tape is valuable.

What needs improvement?

It is currently missing the dynamic backup feature for virtual machines, which is available in NetWorker. I can create politics in NetWorker to add virtual machines with specific tags, but I cannot do this in Backup Exec, which is a minus for me. Currently, a user has to send a request to the Backup Administrator to add a machine to the backup, but I should be able to create rules to automatically add a new machine to the backup. This kind of functionality is very important in current times, especially when we are using cloud solutions.

I should be able to create more than one stream in a policy and specify how many streams I want to run in parallel in one policy. Currently, I have to manually create more policies to back up more than one virtual machine at the same time.

Their support can also be improved in terms of response time.

I have been using this solution for forty years.

It is a stable product. There are no issues with its stability, but I am facing an issue with QNAP storage.

I use two types of storage for backup: Data Domain and QNAP. With QNAP, the backup server connects through iSCSI, and sometimes, I had problems with the stability of storage on QNAP through the iSCSI interface. I didn't have any such issue with Data Domain. I am trying to find a solution to this. I have tested the storage from Quantum, which is a good solution. Very soon, I will change from QNAP to duplication storage from Quantum.

They are helpful, but they are not very fast. They respond, but it takes them 24 hours to send the first response, which is not good. I am using their standard support. They might have another better support.

Positive

Its initial setup was complex because I had an old version of Backup Exec, and I could not upgrade directly to version 20. I had to do a new installation and migrate the data. It was nice but complex.

We used an in-house team to implement the solution.

We save six hours.

It has a good price-value ratio. Its price-value ratio is better than Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

It has good replication, and it is better than other products. It is good for backing up not only VMs but also clients. It is also good for SQL Server and NDMP data servers.

I would rate Veritas Backup Exec an eight out of ten.

Burak Pehlevan - PeerSpot reviewer
    SaaS Infrastructure Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A standard backup with a good price and easy setup
    • "The implementation is straightforward."
    • "The reports could be made in an easier way."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the usual database backups, virtual machine backups, and file backups.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't say there’s any significant difference with other solutions. It's just a backup solution for me.

What is most valuable?

It’s pretty standard. There is no significant difference for me.

We needed something that offered backups at a lower price, which this delivers.

The implementation is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Other solutions have Kubernetes-specific solutions within them. This doesn’t. In the future, we may need the product to have that, however, in my environment, I don't have Kubernetes, so for my use, it is not necessary.

It may be useful if it was easier to access.

The reports could be made in an easier way.

I’ve been using the solution for the last three years.

It is stable. That is no issue in our environment. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable, and the performance is good.

It has agents. I didn't need any strategy in terms of scaling. When I need to add an extra device, I just install the new agents. I didn't force the limits, like Backup Exec. I didn't force the limit, so I can’t speak to the maximum expansion capabilities.

We have four people using the solution. They are system admins.

We do not plan to increase usage anytime soon.

We don’t have much recent experience in technical support. We haven’t used them in the last 12 months or the past three years. When we did deal with them, they were okay. They were helpful.

Neutral

I've used, in my old company, a VM solution.

It’s effortless to set up the solution. It’s not difficult at all. I’d rate it a four out of five in terms of the ease of setup.

The deployment is swift and doesn’t take too much time. We didn’t really have a specific strategy going into the implementation.

We only need one person to handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

I handled the initial setup in-house.

I wouldn’t be able to calculate an ROI. I’d rate the product a three out of five in terms of the likelihood of getting an ROI.

The pricing is reasonable. It was the main selling factor for us. We pay a yearly licensing fee. I have a gold edition, and it includes all the features that I need - so it's enough for me.

I’d rate it a three out of five in terms of the affordability of the usage.

We looked at other solutions. They’re all basically the same, however, this product offers a lower price. I was not a part of the evaluation process the last time around.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a customer and end-user.

It is a useful solution and it can be used in any enterprise environment.

I’d rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Senior Manager at Datamatics Global Services Limited
    Is stable and scalable, but exchange email restoration needs improvement
    • "The disk-to-disk paid backup feature is quite good, and file locking is a very important feature."
    • "Whenever a job fails, it would be a great improvement to be able to resume the job from that feature. Suppose a job was started this morning and that it is going on while there are interruptions like network issues, server restart issues, server connectivity issues, services stopping, etc. For some reason, let's assume that the job failed or that it was mistakenly canceled by another person. It will be a great improvement if that failed job can be continued."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for data backup on premises, for data servers and file servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization. The data disk to disk to tape method is very helpful and it is easy to restore the individual or folder lever restoration is much easier.

What is most valuable?

The disk-to-disk-to-tape backup feature is quite good, and BKF file locking is a very important and safe silent feature.

What needs improvement?

Whenever a job fails, it would be a great improvement to be able to resume the job from the job got failed that feature. Suppose a job was started this morning and that it is going on while there are interruptions like network issues, server restart issues, server connectivity issues, services stopping, etc. For some reason, let's assume that the job failed or that it was mistakenly canceled by another person. It will be a great improvement if that failed job can be continued automatically or as a manual task.

Exchange backup restoration takes a long time. Restoring a single email from the backup entire database is virtually occupies the entire system disk and it is huge pain. So, exchange email restoration should be simplified.

Some time no reason some backups are getting failed after certain percentage, if I run the job again manually one by one then it will run successfully from one particular server.

Additional ransomware protection mechanisms could also be added.

I've been using this product for the last 22 years or more.

The product is stable, but sometimes, it is slow. Another challenge is that if there is a server with 10 drives, I may have volumes five and nine failing while the others are fine.

It is scalable.

Veritas' technical support is okay; not remarkable. The documentation is okay as well.

Neutral

We worked with Veeam Backup, which is good.

Because I've been using Veritas Backup Exec for 22 plus years, the initial setup is quite easy.

The installation and configuration, including tape drive, agent configuration, etc., took about one to one and a half hours.

I implemented the solution internally by myself.

The pricing is reasonable.

I previously evaluated ComVault and Druva.

What other advice do I have?

Better architects should be there to create the backup systems. Dedicated backup servers, dedicated switches, and separate networks would be good. Resume option for failed JOB.

I would give an overall rating of six on a scale from one to ten for Veritas Backup Exec.

Download our free Veritas Backup Exec Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022