We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Asad Malik
Senior Infrastructure and Security Engineer at Georgetown University
Effective threat protection, simple deployment, but heavy on system resources
  • "Some of the most valuable features were antivirus, malware, and spyware. They were really good."
  • "We had trouble with the advanced features, such as the firewall builder and all the network protection modules. We were having a lot of issues because it would sometimes block users or the printing, or it would create issues with the network access resources."

What is our primary use case?

We used Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for a thin client for our servers and the full package for the user's systems.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features were antivirus, malware, and spyware. They were really good.

What needs improvement?

We had trouble with the advanced features, such as the firewall builder and all the network protection modules. We were having a lot of issues because it would sometimes block users or the printing, or it would create issues with the network access resources.

We were using the on-premise version of Symantec End-User Endpoint Security and one of the reasons to use the on-premise versions was to save the network traffic from the cloud. However, because we deployed the full package, the client's computers were really slow most of the time. End-user used to complain that their computers are running slow. It was not only the antivirus because the user had to run other applications as well, in parallel. As soon as we removed Symantec End-User Endpoint Security, the user did see a lot of improvement in their hardware performance, such as the CPU usage being lower and memory resources going down.

The background scanning performance should be improved because it makes the computers run slow and we had the latest hardware, but it was still having issues. Their engine needs to be improved for the scanning.

I have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for 10 years.

The solution is stable.

We had more than 10 users using this solution in my organization.

The installation is straightforward. The full deployment took approximately two weeks.

We did the implementation of Symantec End-User Endpoint Security ourselves.

We have one person that supports this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are phasing out the use of Symantec End-User Endpoint Security in my company and we only have a small number of systems using it at this time.

We plan to switch to Cisco Secure Endpoint.

I rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, works in the background, and doesn't seem to take too many resources
  • "The most valuable feature is that I don't feel that it is there. It works in the background and doesn't interfere with my daily work. All the scans are done in the background. This is the biggest advantage of this product. It works because I have never been infected since I have been using this solution. Its interface is also very good."
  • "It can maybe send notifications when there is an update and everything is successful."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for protecting myself from outside dangers. I am not using it on a daily basis. I open it very rarely. I open it only when I get an alert that I have got a suspicious file or something like that. I then go to the quarantine zone to check it.

What is most valuable?

It works because I have never been infected since I have been using this solution. Its interface is also very good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for the entire life of our organization. It has probably been ten years.

It is completely stable. There are no issues. I don't find it slowing my laptop. I don't know if my laptop is powerful or the application doesn't take too many resources. A few years ago, the antivirus was slowing down computers and laptops, but now, I don't feel any such issue.

We have about 700 employees in our company, and a lot of them are using the same protection system.

I have an IT department that gives me technical support.

We did not use any other products in our organization. We have only been using Symantec products.

I was not involved in its installation. It was set up on the laptop before I got it from the IT department.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a stable product. I would keep on using it unless my company decides otherwise.

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sagar Dandge
Information Technology Executive at JFE Shoji Steel India Pvt. Ltd.
Problematic technical support, but the solution is easy to use
  • "The solution is easy to use"
  • "We are not satisfied with the technical support."

What needs improvement?

We are not satisfied with the technical support. Since Broadcom took over responsibility for its engagement, we have faced many issues. This is why we wish to switch to a different antivirus solution. We are currently in contact with the relevant distributors and suppliers in regards to this issue. We do not wish to encounter the same challenges that we face at present. Before switching to Sophos, we would first have to ensure that all our support-related concerns are addressed.

When an issue happens in my cell, we can log in a ticket on the Symantec or Broadcom websites. From this point, the response time is very slow. Sometimes technical support lacks a proper or firsthand knowledge of an issue and finds itself lacking in the appropriate response. We feel this to be very irritating. The customer wishes for the issue to be resolved, but tech support has shown itself to be inadequate in dealing with enterprise tech products.

We have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for the last five or six years.

We are not satisfied with the technical support and find it greatly lacking.

In the past we worked with Sophos, although not with its antivirus product but with Cyberoam Firewall. We recently purchased a new Sophos firewall product, Sophos 101, which is a network firewall solution. The difference is that we did not previously have the appropriate experience with related antivirus products, but now we are in a position to analyze how best Sophos endpoint protection can meet our needs.

While the solution is easy to use, it is solely because of the support issues we raised that we plan to switch products.

When it comes to pricing, Sophos is preferable to Symantec. It provides a cloud-based dashboard which affords control and an easy centralized management system. This is of considerable benefit and explains why we have decided to go with Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

Owing to the support issues we raised, we can only rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security as a five out of ten.

Director for Cybersecurity Solutions at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Best support, easy to deploy and update, but needs more advanced features and more integration with other vendors
  • "Its ease of use in deploying it and regular updates are most valuable."
  • "It can be improved in terms of features and integration. It should have more advanced features and more integration. Currently, it is just talking to their own solutions. They could add more artificial intelligence, more XDR, and more integration with other vendors so that we can do sharing of information with other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint security.

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to deal with day-to-day threats, and we can focus more on work. Whenever there are some problems, our operations don't stop. So, we can continue our work knowing that there is a good security solution protecting us.

What is most valuable?

Its ease of use in deploying it and regular updates are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved in terms of features and integration. It should have more advanced features and more integration. Currently, it is just talking to their own solutions. They could add more artificial intelligence, more XDR, and more integration with other vendors so that we can do sharing of information with other vendors.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

It is not stable in terms of the company. They have already been bought many times. A lot of people are changing brands because of the acquisition of Broadcom. So, it is not much stable.

They are the best. There is no problem in regards to response time. You can easily get technical support.

Its initial setup was straightforward.

They're on the reasonable side. They are at mid-level. They're not too expensive as compared to their competitors. They're also not too cheap. In terms of price structure, hopefully, they could do a subscription.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for regular endpoint security, you can count on Symantec, but if you're looking for more advanced security or have advanced requirements, or if you have a big company that has different security products in place, you might as well look for another one. I could suggest Symantec if your security appetite is not that big.

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Fast, easy to set up, and scalable
  • "The initial setup is very simple and straightforward."
  • "They need to develop a multi-language interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as active protection for our endpoints. We also use it for its upgrade frequency.

What is most valuable?

The solution runs very quickly.

The solution is stable.

It's quite a scalable product.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The localization could be better. It could be more friendly for local users.

It's a solution that's only in English. It makes it difficult if you, for example, speak a different language. If that's the case, and you don't understand English well, you might struggle to understand aspects of the product. They need to develop a multi-language interface.

I've been dealing with the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is reliable.

We've found the scalability to be good. If we need to expand it, we can do so.

We have one customer who currently uses the product.

The initial setup is not difficult or complex. It's quite straightforward and fairly simple to implement.

I cannot recall, however, exactly how long the deployment process took.

You only need one engineer to handle the deployment and maintenance aspects. You do not need a large team.

We are integrators. We are able to handle implementations for our clients.

I cannot speak to the exact licensing costs. We recommend the solution to our clients, however, they buy the license from the vendor directly.

What other advice do I have?

We are Symantec integrators.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. So far, we've been pleased with its capabilities for the most part.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. We already recommend it to our clients.

Head of IT Department at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good protection and application control, reasonable price, and easy to deploy
  • "Protection from viruses, malware, Trojans, and malicious files is most valuable. It is also good in terms of application control. I can control the type of external media that can be connected with endpoint devices and protect them from malicious files and devices such as USB."
  • "I would like to be able to migrate to the cloud so that the end-users outside the company offices don't need a VPN to connect to the Symantec server to update the policies. They should be able to connect to the admin center directly through the internet to get updated policies. There is some integration issue with the other security appliances or tools. Other hardware, firewall, or Network Detection and Response (NDR) solution vendors are not willing to integrate with Symantec. They only mention products from other vendors such as CrowdStrike and Carbon Black. Symantec is not there. Symantec should work on integration with products from other security vendors."

What is most valuable?

Protection from viruses, malware, Trojans, and malicious files is most valuable. It is also good in terms of application control. I can control the type of external media that can be connected with endpoint devices and protect them from malicious files and devices such as USB.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to migrate to the cloud so that the end-users outside the company offices don't need a VPN to connect to the Symantec server to update the policies. They should be able to connect to the admin center directly through the internet to get updated policies.

There is some integration issue with the other security appliances or tools. Other hardware, firewall, or Network Detection and Response (NDR) solution vendors are not willing to integrate with Symantec. They only mention products from other vendors such as CrowdStrike and Carbon Black. Symantec is not there. Symantec should work on integration with products from other security vendors.

I have been using this solution for more than six years. I am currently using its latest version.

It is stable. I don't have any issues.

It is scalable. With on-prem, you have the network limitation. If I migrate to the cloud, it will be easy to scale.

In terms of usage, currently, we have between 250 to 300 users.

I have not worked on any other solution.

Its initial setup was easy. It was done a long ago. The upgrades to a newer version might take two hours. If a client has any issues during the upgrade, they need to remove and start it again. Usually, it does not require a lot of support. It is straightforward.

Its price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Symantec End-User Endpoint Security an eight out of ten.

IT manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Greatly mitigates security risks; provides a good local firewall
  • "Offers good antivirus and local firewall."
  • "Is not a full anti-ransomware solution."

What is our primary use case?

We're a large company with half of our business in the UK and half throughout the rest of Europe. We deal with about 13 countries and I work from Serbia. Our business focuses on train and bus transport, and sometimes ferry services. We're using the solution to mitigate security risks. We were considering solutions for endpoint protection and decided to go with Symantec for our work stations and servers. It offers anti-malware plus a firewall and some other functionalities. I'm an IT manager.

What is most valuable?

I like the antivirus and the local firewall that the solution provides. It's user friendly with a good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a full anti-ransomware solution because there are some anti-ransomware functionalities that would assist us if they were included in the solution.

I've been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security for about six years.

The solution is very stable.

We're not a big business in Serbia but scalability is easy. We have around 160 workstations and about 130 users.

We have a contract with the local Symantec partner in Serbia so we can speak to them in our language. The support is very good.

The initial setup is rather simple.

The license for this solution is purchased on an annual bases. The price could be cheaper but it's not too bad. We also pay for technical support which we get locally here in Serbia.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec is not the only endpoint security solution that we actually have experience with but I would recommend it. I think it's one of the best solutions currently on the market.

I rate this solution an eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good for detecting signature-based viruses, but does not detect unknown threats and recent malware and needs a lot of improvements
  • "It is good for detecting signature-based viruses, and it is user friendly."
  • "We are not satisfied with this solution. It needs a lot of improvements. It doesn't detect the most recent malware and unknown threats. With most of the users working from home these days, there is also a need for some extra security layer. That's why we are thinking of going for a better solution that will take care of all of our endpoints and work from home situation. Symantec also has to work on EDI technology. Vendors like Palo Alto and Cisco are coming with their own intelligence and cloud infrastructure in which unknown threats are regularly watched and monitored, and they are reported to the admin."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protecting our endpoints from the latest signature-based threats. We have 75 users.

What is most valuable?

It is good for detecting signature-based viruses, and it is user friendly.

What needs improvement?

We are not satisfied with this solution. It needs a lot of improvements. It doesn't detect the most recent malware and unknown threats. With most of the users working from home these days, there is also a need for some extra security layer. That's why we are thinking of going for a better solution that will take care of all of our endpoints and work from home situation.

Symantec also has to work on EDI technology. Vendors like Palo Alto and Cisco are coming with their own intelligence and cloud infrastructure in which unknown threats are regularly watched and monitored, and they are reported to the admin.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

I don't know how their support is these days. Their support used to be good in the past before they were taken over by Broadcom.

The initial setup was straightforward. There was nothing complex. The deployment took almost two days.

We used an integrator and reseller for this.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution because of the security concerns and the lack of features that other vendors are providing. Technology is growing day by day, and a lot of other solutions are providing patching for vulnerabilities and other stuff. We are going to move to some other vendor and use the endpoint detection and response (EDR) technology.

I would rate Symantec End-user Endpoint Security a six out of ten.

Download our free Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.