Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Sophos Network Access Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos Network Access Control is #5 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Sophos Network Access Control an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Sophos Network Access Control is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Sophos Network Access Control vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Sophos Network Access Control is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Sophos Network Access Control?
Sophos NAC Provides comprehensive, easy-to-deploy network access control that protects enterprise networks from the threats posed by non-compliant, compromised, or misconfigured endpoint computers. The software solution is vendor-neutral and works with existing network infrastructure and security applications. Computers are permitted or denied access to the network, based on a centrally defined, policy-driven assessment - and isolated, quarantined for remediation, automatically remediated, or sent alerts. Administrators can define and manage policies uniquely for managed and guest computers, including checking their security status and ensuring that no unwanted applications are run.
Sophos Network Access Control Customers
Rushmoor Borough Council
Sophos Network Access Control Video

Sophos Network Access Control Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Network Access Control pricing:
"Pricing is competitive. I"

Sophos Network Access Control Reviews

Marco-VIVALDELLI - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at MARVIV SRLS
Great security with a user-friendly interface and excellent stability
  • "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "The interface on the cloud could be a bit better - just to give more performance on it."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the solution in order to manage the security aspect of access control. It guarantees that the people can access the infrastructure in a correct way when using different kinds of firewalls like Sophos, Cisco, MikroTik, et cetera, for example.

It's used for security hosting in terms of firewalls, which is a router with firewall performance and can really control the access from that side. It's able to manage such a level of security due to the fact that it's working on Layer 2 according to the HESA standard.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like the best is the level of security that it can provide.

The interface is very user-friendly and it makes it easy to manage the product due to the fact that you have complete control over the system and you can set up everything in a very easy way.

The solution is quite scalable. You can expand it if you need to. It's designed to be modular.

We've found the solution to be very stable. The performance is great.

The installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The interface on the cloud could be a bit better - just to give more performance on it. However, it's just a very little thing that can be improved. Overall, the product has a very good level of quality.

In terms of features, at this point it truly satisfies out needs and nothing is really missing from the offering.

I've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's my primary go-to system. It's been more than three years, I would say.

Network Access Control (NAC)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Aruba Networks, Cisco and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good overall. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is excellent. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily. It's not a problem. It's a very modular product which makes it easy to expand upon.

It depends of the situation, however, typically, you can start with five users or up to around to 100. The product is very flexible from this point of view. There is not really a limit on that as you can manage a very huge amount of users according to the needs of the customer.

We do plan to continue to use the product into the future as we are largely quite happy with it.

I've used technical support and have been very satisfied with them so far. They are largely helpful and responsive.

I haven't really used another product previously. I do occasionally use other products, however, I prefer to work with Sophos.

For example, I'm using MikroTik products and another brand of product that I'm using for a client project. They can be integrated together and compliment each other, and therefore their services don't exactly conflict.

Normally, I use Sophos for control of access to the infrastructure of the company and I can use another product behind Sophos just to extend the functionality inside or to improve the performance of the network or give the customer a different level of control on the system.

The initial setup is not difficult. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

Typically you can deploy everything in one day. It's not a long process.

For the maintenance, you need just one person and that normally is the IT manager inside the company that just needs to be familiar with items such as the level on the assessments to understand how to manage the system. They mainly just need an understanding of the company's architecture and they can manage the process. The product can reach its maximum level of performance if you know exactly how the product is working and which features the product can provide. If you have someone that doesn't understand, there is no way to really appreciate what the product can do.

I handed the implementation myself. I did not need an integrator or consultant or any outside help. It was all handled by me in-house. I have all of the capabilities needed to handle the task.

The licensing is modular. That means, you typically buy a base license and then add on what you need to increase its functionality.

If you want to, for example, install a main gateway, or if you want to increase your data just to improve the level of security, you can buy some additional licenses just for these specific needs. This is up to you and it just depends on what you want to have and level of security.

If you like, you can start with a base solution, and after, you can buy an additional module according to your needs. It's not mandatory to start with an entire package at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

I am not necessarily using the latest version of the solution. I am using different kinds of versions. It depends on the customer's needs. Normally, I approach the client to try to understand their needs, and, following this, I will choose which is product can satisfy them.

The deployments also differ according to the client's needs. Typically, it is on-premises. That said, this product can also work in Cloud which means the servers can be shared between on-premise and on the cloud. This is mainly, for a double level of security. In this way, the product can be managed on-premise and can be managed with that access on the Cloud.

I can usually propose a simple solution and a simple model. In other situations, however, I have to use products that are more sophisticated in terms of hardware and in terms of the performance that is required.

I would recommend the solution to others. The product has the capabilities to satisfy all kinds of needs that a company may have. You can find the right solution without spending a lot of money. The solution is very powerful from this point of view.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Manager, IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at Zuri Tribe Ltd
User-friendly, helpful technical support, frequent updates, and easy to install
  • "It is intuitive in the sense that I don't have to struggle with the configuration."
  • "I would say that anything that makes it easier to use and obtain statistics and metrics on any issue is always welcome. Anything that provides more information or insights into what is going on on the network would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos Network Access Control is part of a firewall solution that I have deployed.

We use Sophos Network Access Control when my clients connect to the network or the Sophos firewall to access the internet. I need to ensure that the client has at least a basic level of security.

If it is out of date or has a problem, it will be unable to connect to other devices or the internet.

What is most valuable?

I find that it is easy to use.

I don't have to do as much research or type as many command-line commands to get it up and running. In that sense, I find it simple to use.

I find it easier to obtain support and establish a relationship with the vendor. I find it easier to work with Sophos than with other partners.

What needs improvement?

I think it's reasonable, or at least simple to use, and it's simple to set up. I can't think of any improvements off the top of my head because it's the best one I've found so far. So, for the time being, I'm content with the way it works.

Metrics, for example, would always be appreciated. However, from what I've seen from Sophos, whenever there is an improvement, you can see it right from the application.

I have been working with Sophos Network Access Control for the last 12 months.

It appears to be quite stable in my opinion. I haven't had any problems with it, and my customers have not had any complaints about the stability of Sophos Network Access Control.

So far, my experience has been that it has been stable with approximately 10, to 15 users. I believe that even if we scale, it will perform similarly well.

I completed a deployment for a client. There have been a few changes in terms of staffing and resource requirements. But, if that were to happen, I can't say for certain that it will, but I do know that if they do, I believe I have the resources to scale it up.

I used the support online, by searching the community for a specific issue, and I received assistance from there.

I would rate the technical support team a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

They previously used Sophos products and installed Sophos firewalls. The Sophos market was also the most affordable and reasonably priced. It did not require as much technical knowledge and training to get started. Also, the user interface was much more user-friendly.

Having already used Sophos products, I don't find it difficult to set up. it wasn't difficult to set up.

It took me about two to three hours to set everything up.

I completed the deployment myself.

We have to get a license.

Pricing is competitive. It is the most competitive option in the market because the other alternative is Fortinet solutions, which are a little more expensive.

I don't have pricing on hand right now. I would need to check with my vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend it, and I would also ask them to give it a try and see for themselves before taking my word for it. But, yes, I would tell them that it is something that I have seen work and that they can give it a try, and they will almost certainly have the same experience as I have.

I would give it a nine, which is a high score. One reason is that I find it simple to deploy. Just an extension of Sophos products, in my opinion. They're always simple to use and don't cause too much trouble. Also, there are always frequent updates, and the support is excellent. I'm happy to always use Sophos.

I consider myself more of a partner, but also a technical resource, as I perform deployments.

I would rate Sophos Network Access Control a nine out of ten.

Network Access Control (NAC)
September 2022
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Engineer at kamla raheja vidyanidhi institute for architecture
Scalable and reliable but needs more than one access point
  • "The pricing is very reasonable and you can negotiate on the price."
  • "In order to provide better management, it would be ideal with they offered better plugins for their firewall."

What is most valuable?

There is good documentation that helps to deploy a new wireless access point and a controller in a very easy way.

The initial setup is very easy.

We've found the solution to be very reliable.

The scalability is quite good.

Technical support has been very good so far.

The pricing is very reasonable and you can negotiate on the price.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to implement an access point range. There are a number of clients we have at one time and only one access point.

The solution could always offer better security.

I've only been using the solution for one year at this point. It hasn't been that long.

The solution is very stable and very reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches and the solution does not crash or freeze.

A company can easily scale the solution If it needs to. The scalability is very good.

We've been in touch with technical support and they are very helpful. they respond in a timely manner. We are quite satisfied with their level of attention.

I'm also familiar with Ruckus and Aruba.

The initial setup is not too complex and we did not find it to be difficult. The solution is easy to set up and deploy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The solution requires us to pay an annual license fee. I'm happy with the pricing. Basically, we negotiate the pricing and they provide for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We're an educational institution. We don't have a business relationship with Sophos.

We are using the Sophos Firewall model number XG 310. The Access Point model number is 740.

The client has many options when it comes to solutions like this. Other options include Ruckus and Aruba.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's been okay.

User at Inertia holding group
Great stability and performance

What needs improvement?

An area that could be improved is the information about licensing, which is fairly confusing at present. I've also had some issues with disabling ports.

I've been working with this solution for almost six years.

Network Access Control provides great stability and performance.

This solution is scalable.

Sophos' technical support is great, very fast and responsive, and they always know how to fix the problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody considering using this solution to go for it. I'd rate it as nine out of ten.

Download our free Network Access Control (NAC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Aruba Networks, Cisco, and more!
Updated: September 2022