IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Aruba ClearPass OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba ClearPass is #2 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Aruba ClearPass an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Aruba ClearPass is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Aruba ClearPass vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Aruba ClearPass is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
Aruba ClearPass Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba ClearPass Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Aruba ClearPass?

ClearPass Policy Manager provides secure network access in a world made up of mobile and IoT devices. It features ultra-scalable AAA with RADIUS and uses contextual data based on every user and device to enforce adaptive policies for wireless, wired or VPN access.

Aruba ClearPass was previously known as Avenda eTIPS.

Aruba ClearPass Customers

Consulate Health Care, Los Angeles Unified School District, Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), San Diego State University, KFC, ACTS Retirement-Life Communities

Aruba ClearPass Video

Aruba ClearPass Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba ClearPass pricing:
  • "I can't give the exact cost of Aruba ClearPass because that's handled by the purchasing team, but it's on the cheaper side, and on a scale of one to five, I'm rating the cost a four. Initially, the pricing for the solution is expensive in terms of deployment, but in the long term, for example, after more than five to ten years, the operational cost incurred by the company is quite affordable because you don't have to renew the license. It's a one-time purchase. My company only uses the standard license for Aruba ClearPass."
  • "The price of Aruba ClearPass is expensive. When you want to build redundant systems it can be seen as necessary, so the enterprise will manage all of those costs."
  • "It is affordable. In Lebanon, companies are small, and they do not have a big budget. They cannot invest a lot of money, and Aruba ClearPass is quite affordable for them."
  • "The licensing model is very straightforward. There are two types of licensing for Aruba ClearPass, a perpetual license, and a subscription. Both of them are straightforward. We don't need to read an ordering guide, it's very clear."
  • Aruba ClearPass Reviews

Aditya Buditama - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer - Network at PT.Helios Informatika Nusantara
    Has an access tracker that's helpful when you want to troubleshoot authentication failures
    • "What I like most about Aruba ClearPass is its access tracker that serves as its monitoring feature. The access tracker is really helpful when you want to troubleshoot authentication failures."
    • "What needs improvement in Aruba ClearPass is just the endpoint context server, in particular, the indication with the context server because sometimes the daily process isn't as smooth-sailing. Sometimes, the information isn't up-to-date. I'm not sure if that's a vendor limitation, but currently, it's the only tricky part of the current configuration. What I'd like to see in the next release of Aruba ClearPass is a dashboard or a monitoring feature that would allow users to see the integration process with an external server because there's no visibility into that right now."

What is our primary use case?

We use Aruba ClearPass for our authentication server and also integrate it with our active directory. We also use the endpoint function of the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba ClearPass has improved our organization because, through it, we have much better visibility in terms of who our users are in our network. We have more insight into the type of devices people are using and their roles. For guests, we can also gather some information from them, for example, their emails, so in most cases, Aruba ClearPass is pretty useful for us.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Aruba ClearPass is its access tracker that serves as its monitoring feature. The access tracker is really helpful when you want to troubleshoot authentication failures.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Aruba ClearPass is just the endpoint context server, in particular, the indication with the context server because sometimes the daily process isn't as smooth-sailing. Sometimes, the information isn't up-to-date. I'm not sure if that's a vendor limitation, but currently, it's the only tricky part of the current configuration.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Aruba ClearPass is a dashboard or a monitoring feature that would allow users to see the integration process with an external server because there's no visibility into that right now.

Aruba ClearPass
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Aruba ClearPass. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Aruba ClearPass for one and a half years.

Aruba ClearPass, in terms of stability, is good. We haven't experienced it shutting down in the last one and a half years of using it.

We've only used Aruba ClearPass for the last one and a half years, and we haven't had any need to scale it up, but it seems to be a scalable solution.

We haven't had any issues with Aruba ClearPass. It's been really quiet in the past year, so we haven't contacted their technical support team.

We used a different system before using Aruba ClearPass, but we heard that the licensing scheme for Aruba ClearPass is permanent. The solution offers a permanent license while our previous system had an annual license that we had to renew and repurchase yearly, so that was troublesome for us. With Aruba ClearPass, we don't have to repurchase or renew every year, so that's one of the main reasons we switched to it.

Installing Aruba ClearPass was quite easy. The deployment process for it was quite easy and quick. It took our partner less than two weeks to deploy the solution, so it was quite quick.

We used a third-party company for deploying Aruba ClearPass.

You can get ROI from Aruba ClearPass after two or three years.

I can't give the exact cost of Aruba ClearPass because that's handled by the purchasing team, but it's on the cheaper side, and on a scale of one to five, I'm rating the cost a four.

My company only uses the standard license for Aruba ClearPass.

What other advice do I have?

My company has eight hundred users of Aruba ClearPass in the IT security team, and about five or six people are required for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

Currently, my company doesn't have any plans of increasing usage for Aruba ClearPass because it's been scaled up three times more than the current need when it was first purchased, so the solution is only being used at about 30% of its maximum capacity. It could take another four or five years before my company increases its usage.

Aruba ClearPass is a solution I would highly recommend to others looking into implementing it because, in my experience, it's really easy to manage. It has a low production cost, and even if the initial cost for the deployment is quite high, it becomes pretty cheap because you don't have to renew the license. If you need basic captive portal authentication, I would recommend Aruba ClearPass.

I'm rating Aruba ClearPass nine out of ten.

My company is a customer, not a partner of Aruba ClearPass.

SvenVenables - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Engineer at EOH
    Easy to use, multifeatured, and reliable policy management platform for identity authentication and new device onboarding
    • "The most valuable thing about Aruba ClearPass is its ease of use. It has always been a very reliable and very stable policy management platform."
    • "TLS authentication onboarding in Aruba ClearPass needs to be improved. The biggest problem we've seen in our environment is Huawei not being able to get onto Google Play. No Huawei device can be onboarded via Aruba ClearPass easily."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use Aruba ClearPass for identity authentication on their local area network and their Wi-Fi. For one of our clients, we're using the OnGuard function for health checks, and we're also using the Guest Captive portal.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about Aruba ClearPass is ease of use for security policies, as it has a much better granular configuration on policies for security. It also allows us to do certain functions which we would not be able to do without Aruba ClearPass, particularly with mobile devices and security. The platform has helped us in a lot of ways where there are aspects that we are limited to, and can't be done in our environment without the server.

What needs improvement?

The only area that really needs improvement in Aruba ClearPass is the onboarding for doing TLS authentication. The biggest problem we've seen in our environment is Huawei not being able to get onto Google Play. No Huawei device can be onboarded via Aruba ClearPass easily.

An additional feature we'd like to see in the next release of Aruba ClearPass is for its OnGuard function, its health check function. We'd like it to have the functionality for installing or copying files that are required for remediation on health checks. For example: if you're using Aruba ClearPass and you do a health check, if the client is missing a file or a particular product such as an antivirus product, we would like the opportunity to have the files copied or installed in the platform, because currently there are some limitations when you want to do remediation.

If the client is missing a file and you want them to install a specific application, we have to provide an HTTP download so they can download the file for the remediation to work. What I would like to see is a bigger storage area in Aruba ClearPass so we can upload those files in the platform, rather than having those files in an external server for downloading, because we've had huge problems with doing remediation to locations that require an HTTP download.

What we'd like is having the ability to put the applications on Aruba ClearPass directly, to make the remediation steps for clients when they're missing software, to get those directly from the platform, because currently, you can't put a big file onto Aruba ClearPass as there are size limitations.

I've been using Aruba ClearPass continuously within the last 12 months.

Aruba ClearPass has always been very reliable. I've always been well-impressed with it as it's a very stable product. The only problems I've experienced with it was because of people doing something else and causing Aruba ClearPass to malfunction. For example: people deleted authentication sources out of the platform without letting us know that they've deleted those authentication sources, creating problems on Aruba ClearPass because they changed the configuration.

I've been working directly with Aruba ClearPass and I've not had any problems with it, it usually works properly. If no one changes anything, it works.

Technical support from Aruba has always been fantastic, especially the support for Aruba ClearPass. I usually get responses from their technical team very quickly, especially for any T1 call. I've never experienced a problem with the technical support for Aruba ClearPass. They've always been exceptional.

Setting up Aruba ClearPass is complex. It's a complex installation.

What other advice do I have?

I work with Aruba ClearPass and Aruba Wi-Fi, and we do have clients who use Aruba ClearPass with their Cisco equipment. I'm an ACPP professional on Aruba ClearPass, so I work with a few clients who use the platform.

I've been working with version 6.9.9 of the platform.

I'm scoring Aruba ClearPass a ten out of ten. If I can score it higher than ten, twelve for example, I would, because it's that good. It's an unbelievable system and it unlocks a lot of limitations on Wi-Fi and LAN, in terms of security.

Aruba ClearPass
    August 2022
    622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Cisco Network Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Intuitive, easy to manage, and offers great monitoring capabilities
    • "The web dashboard and the policy manager are very intuitive and very easy for the engineers to use."
    • "I can't think of an area where the solution is lacking a feature or a capability."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not the one who deployed this solution. However, there are many use cases.

What is most valuable?

I've had no problems with it at all. It's been a breeze. Our other guy who left taught me everything, including the basics in order to implement it.

The dashboard, the monitoring tabs, and the configuration tabs, the admin tabs is all pretty self-explanatory.

The WiFi solution, the ease of use, and the scalability are excellent. We have Infoblox for all that stuff; however, as far as authentication and stuff like that, it is very easy to use.

The web dashboard and the policy manager are very intuitive and very easy for engineers to use. Finding what you need is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

ClearPass is not something that I have to get into every day, as I do with Aruba Wireless Solution or Central. The only time I really need to get into ClearPass is to troubleshoot, handle authentication problems, or add a device for SNMP access. I can't think of an area where the solution is lacking a feature or a capability. It's fine right now.

We've used the solution for two and a half to three years or so now.

The solution is stable and reliable. We haven't had any issues.

The solution can scale well. It's great.

I've never had to open up a tech support case on ClearPass. I can't speak to how helpful they would be if you reached out.

We've used Aruba and Cisco. As opposed to Cisco ISE and their tech act solution, hands down, Aruba is far better. It was far easier to manage. I know that the Cisco ISE solutions that we had before this was a pain. It was just difficult to manage. We had to reboot it three, four times a year just to get it going. And we've had several Cisco tech cases open on it. Cisco never knew how to fix it. That's why we looked at ClearPass. Finally, we convinced the person in charge of everything. We put together a POC and afterward, everyone was like "Wow, this is great. Yeah. Let us do this, please." We switched and we love it. It was no problem at all.

I was not a part of the initial setup, however, Aruba is typically simple to set up.

I do not deal with the licensing aspect of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have a VMware server that hosts this solution. It is not on the cloud. I'm not sure which exact version we're using.

I don't know about any other tech act applications out there. That said, I know that this is a breeze if you're working with Cisco ISE. I highly recommend a swap over to ClearPass Policy Manager. It is very, very, very, very easy. That's compared to Cisco ISE. I don't know about any other managers out there or if there may be better ones out there. We like Aruba. That's all I can say.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Network Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Beneficial extra security, useful authentication mechanisms, but under interface needs improvement
    • "The most valuable features of Aruba ClearPass are the authentication mechanisms and the integration with Active Directory(AD)."
    • "Aruba ClearPass could improve the user interface, it is a bit chunky."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Aruba ClearPass for 802.1X and backup indication.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba ClearPass improved security across a diverse network, which is countrywide. It provides extra security so that anybody that gets on the network, belongs there, we know those that have allowed access to the network, get access to the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Aruba ClearPass are the authentication mechanisms and the integration with Active Directory(AD).

What needs improvement?

Aruba ClearPass could improve the user interface, it is a bit chunky.

I have been using Aruba ClearPass for approximately 18 months.

Aruba ClearPass is stable in my usage.

I have found Aruba ClearPass to be scalable.

We have hundreds of users in different locations using this solution.

I have not used the support from Aruba ClearPass.

I have not used a previous solution.

Aruba ClearPass was installed into the cloud and had the resiliency working. Then we had a test lab environment where we rolled out the configurations, to test it, and then we rolled out the overall configuration for all of the switches and access points around the network. The whole process was straightforward. The whole process took approximately three months from start to finish.

The implementation was done in-house. We used three people for the process.

I felt we did not get a return on investment.

The price of Aruba ClearPass is expensive. When you want to build redundant systems it can be seen as necessary, so the enterprise will manage all of those costs.

There are additional costs because we have implemented it into a cloud environment, there are costs associated with the cloud environment. We didn't go with appliances.

I did some research before choosing Aruba ClearPass. I looked at open NAC and some of the other proprietary systems.

What other advice do I have?

There are additional features that we haven't used, such as fingerprinting and guest reception type scenarios. There are other features we haven't implemented and there's no reason to implement them at this stage.

Planning is the most important aspect of getting started before implementing Aruba ClearPass. Don't jump into it, you need to plan. You need to understand what you're trying to do and plan it and then start off in a small, safe environment for rollout. Once you've tested all the scenarios and it works completely for each one, then roll it out over a long period of time to ensure that the user experience is good.

I rate Aruba ClearPass a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Network Team Leader at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    A flexible solution with automatic onboarding and a vast amount of features
    • "It is beneficial from a security perspective because not everyone can connect to our wifi without going through an authentication process."
    • "It would be good if ClearPass made it a SaaS solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is a network access control solution used to authenticate users. We use it for wifi certificate-based authentication. It is also good for automatic onboarding and fingerprinting, like automatic device classification. This allows us to control devices automatically and have role-based authentication. For example, for Windows and Mac, we can define a specific role, and it will automatically go to that role. We can also enable free wifi guest authentication.

There are so many features in Aruba ClearPass that our company hasn't even utilized all of them. It is beneficial from a security perspective because not everyone can connect to our wifi without going through an authentication process using a corporate device or a corporate email ID. The solution confirms the credentials before they can connect to the wifi.

What is most valuable?

Aruba ClearPass has a feature called ClearPass OnGuard, like an agent installed on all devices. It ensures your device complies with corporate policies, like antivirus or firewall settings. In addition, it verifies before allowing users to connect properly to our networks.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if ClearPass made it a SaaS solution. The only difficulty is that it's a security solution, and if you put a security solution on a SaaS, there could be certain challenges. That may be why ClearPass hasn't done it.

We have been using this solution for about seven years. We initially used it on-premises but have been using it on a private cloud for the last four years.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution, and we have almost 2000 high-end users.

We did not use any solution before Aruba ClearPass. This is the first NAC solution we deployed, and we are still using it.

The initial setup was okay for us. A partner managed it, and we had no troubles. The deployment took about six months because we had a lot of user migration and needed to change device authentication.

There are different licenses, like onboarding, OnGuard and access licenses. We purchase a yearly license that includes all features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten. I would recommend Aruba ClearPass because it has all the features. It is very flexible, and you can implement any complex solution. For example, if you want to allow only Android or any complex situation, you can with Aruba ClearPass. Therefore, I can say that this is the best solution on the market.

Senior Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides good visibility and security, and is affordable and highly scalable
    • "The visibility and security features are most valuable. We get a clear view. It is a very secure product for educational institutions."
    • "The improvement can be in the cloud area. They can improve it for the cloud so that we can deploy it on the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are a gold partner of Aruba. We have deployed it in different educational institutions. It is mainly being used by the students. They onboard their mobile devices on ClearPass so that they can use them securely, and the IT team can have more visibility on the product. This is the main use case for ClearPass.

What is most valuable?

The visibility and security features are most valuable. We get a clear view. It is a very secure product for educational institutions.

It is very user-friendly. It is easy to configure and use. The dashboard is very intuitive, and it can give you a very clear view. You can see all the students and all the onboarded devices on the dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The improvement can be in the cloud area. They can improve it for the cloud so that we can deploy it on the cloud.

In terms of new features, I don't have anything in mind, but Aruba is always working on new features. They are doing releases every quarter or six months.

We have been working with Aruba products since 2004. We are one of the oldest partners of Aruba in the Middle East. We've been working with ClearPass for 10 years.

It is very stable.

It is highly scalable. You can start with a couple of users, and you can scale up to 10,000. We have a deployment of 25,000 users in one of the biggest universities in Lebanon.

They are really fast and highly knowledgeable.

It is really easy to set up. It is very user-friendly and easy to configure.

It doesn't take a lot of time to deploy and configure ClearPass. It takes about a week or a maximum of 10 days for the whole deployment.

It is affordable. In Lebanon, companies are small, and they do not have a big budget. They cannot invest a lot of money, and Aruba ClearPass is quite affordable for them.

What other advice do I have?

ClearPass is one of the best solutions we have ever worked with. It is very stable and secure, and it has a lot of features that an institution can benefit from.

I would easily rate it a nine out of 10.

Rana Shahid - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Development Manager at gwc networks
    Good support, highly scalable, and helpful for tracking the complete user activity in the network
    • "We are mainly using Aruba ClearPass for our clients for securing access to their on-premise assets. As per customer expectations, we are trying our best to track the complete user activity in the network. This is the main and the core feature we require."
    • "In the next version, I would like to see some enhancement or extension on the tracking side. For example, when any user enters the network, it should be more visible in the graphical form."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we are a prized reseller and a partner of Aruba and Fortinet. Usually, our clients send a request for network access control type of issues. So, we are fulfilling these types of requirements with the help of Aruba ClearPass and Fortinet FortiNAC.

What is most valuable?

We are mainly using Aruba ClearPass for our clients for securing access to their on-premise assets. As per customer expectations, we are trying our best to track the complete user activity in the network. This is the main and the core feature we require.

What needs improvement?

The user interface of Aruba ClearPass should be user-friendly like Fortinet FortiNAC.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is a very stable solution.

It is a completely scalable solution.

Aruba's technical support is much better than other vendors.

It is not easy, but it is also not complex. Anyone with some amount of implementation expertise can easily implement it.

The number of people required depends on the requirement. If the requirement is not big and the customer is an SMB, then one or two implementation engineers are enough for implementation. If the customer is an enterprise customer with a big network, you might need more than two or three implementation engineers.

The deployment duration depends on a client's assets. For a client with 400 or 500 assets, two to three weeks would be required. If the network is very big, it can take one month.

What other advice do I have?

To all those who plan on using Aruba ClearPass, I would advise having clear expectations in terms of solution capability and functionality. They should include all the features that are available by default in Aruba ClearPass. These are very interesting features.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Senior Manager Network Design at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Beneficial protocol support, helpful technical assistance, and reliable
    • "A lot of the issues in Forescout are mitigated in Aruba ClearPass, it supports all the expected protocols."
    • "Aruba ClearPass has fewer deployment scenarios and flexibility than Forescout."

What is our primary use case?

Aruba ClearPass is used for enforcing certain security policies all around the organization, it covers certain security policies, which is in turn, is deducted from the business requirements. You start with a security policy, then you need technology to enforce it, this is where Aruba ClearPass is used.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Aruba ClearPass has fewer deployment scenarios and flexibility than Forescout.

I have been using Aruba ClearPass for five years.

Aruba ClearPass is reliable.

I have found Aruba ClearPass to be scalable.

I have approximately two clients with 400 users each, giving a total of 800 users using the solution.

Aruba ClearPass has a very good technical support team. Whenever we need the vendor to be involved, we find a good deal of technical support.

I have used Forescout and I would rate Aruba ClearPass second best.

The initial installation is simple. The deployment could be better since it has fewer capabilities than other solutions, it could be more flexible.

We have a dedicated engineer for Aruba ClearPass when it comes to deploying and support of the solution. One engineer is enough for my client's environment.

The licensing model is very straightforward. There are two types of licensing for Aruba ClearPass, a perpetual license, and a subscription. Both of them are straightforward. We don't need to read an ordering guide, it's very clear.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they have a certain use case. If there is a lot of Cisco environments that need to be implied under the security policy, then ClearPass is the right solution for them. It supports a wide range of Cisco technologies and Cisco protocols.

I rate Aruba ClearPass an eight out of ten.

Download our free Aruba ClearPass Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022