Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ServiceNow Discovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow Discovery is #1 ranked solution in top Cloud Resource Discovery Services and #9 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give ServiceNow Discovery an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. ServiceNow Discovery is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: ServiceNow Discovery vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. ServiceNow Discovery is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ServiceNow Discovery?

ServiceNow Discovery finds applications and devices on your network, and then updates the CMDB with the information it finds. Discovery is available as a separate subscription from the rest of the Now Platform.

ServiceNow Discovery Customers
York, National Grid, DXC Technology, experian, BEACHBODY
ServiceNow Discovery Video

Archived ServiceNow Discovery Reviews (more than two years old)

Mohamed Mansoor - PeerSpot reviewer
Support Engineering Manager at Microsoft
Leaderboard
Good service mapping, an easy initial setup, and very mature as a product
  • "The process involving the original setup of the solution is excellent."
  • "The solution needs to improve the cost of the solution. There are a few different solutions and they do act the same and have the same types of capabilities, however, the cost is quite high."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for consolidating all the CIs and to make sure we've discovered all the network devices, servers, etc. It helps us maintain what we have and actually pulls all the information together horizontally and vertically in order to create a data model. We throw it into the CMDB where we can import the information and assign CIs for optimal IT operations. We use that probably twice a year, depending upon how much the changes are happening on the data center.

How has it helped my organization?

From the ideal perspective, IT operations actually enhance your operational functionality and give you insights into the health and visibility of your IT platforms on a daily basis. You can pull reports in 24-hour increments to take a look at physical instances and capacity issues.

What is most valuable?

In ServiceNow this is ITSM and there's ITIL. So far, we've found that ITSM is the most popular.

The ability to pull reports to check the health of the IT platforms is quite useful. You can pull reports daily to look at everything from capacity issues to physical instances.

The service mapping is excellent.

The maturity of the solution is very good. We're driving our customers to obtain that level of maturity in their own IT space.

The process involving the original setup of the solution is excellent.

ServiceNow Discovery
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Discovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for three and a half years now.

The solution has very good stability. I don't recall witnessing many bugs or glitches on the product. It doesn't crash. It's reliable overall.

The solution is very scalable. A company wouldn't have any problems expanding if it needed to.

We have about 96,000 people in our organization.

I am a solutions consultant and a Discovery certified professional, so I could troubleshoot any issues myself if I needed to. With that being the case, I don't really need to reach out to technical support, so I can't speak to the quality of service.

I've worked on EMC extensively as well. We have used other tools. However, we use Discovery extensively.

Service Now has a great drag and drop functionality, which makes it easier to use, than, say EMC. It's dedicated itself to designing an easy to use tool for IT defense. I understand EMC is coming out with a new tool that rivals Service Now, however, in general, Service Now's tool gives users better leverage.

The initial setup is pretty good. It's what differentiates it from the competition.

The solution is quite expensive.

We have evaluated other services in the past, including EMC.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with the solution.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. If you are already using Service Now products, Discover makes for a good complimenting solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Kamal Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Architect at Sysintegra Ptv Ltd.
Good Product and Best Solution
  • "They provide the ability to see into the Discovery tools I want. They offer the best tool view."
  • "In terms of improvement, I would like for it to be possible to use without coding. I would like a dropdown so that every customer can do it easily for himself and can understand it."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use cases are below:

1. Infrastructure Discovery

2. Perfect CMDB

3. Application Dependency

4. More clarity on running software in the environment

5. Reduce the cost

Used this product for all environments

How has it helped my organization?

Based on discovered infrastructure, we made stable CMDB in customer environment and usage during change request.

What is most valuable?

• The security is a major part of the solution. Customers look for the best security.
  • Console
  • They provide the ability to see whatever customer wants to see into the Discovery tools . They offer the best tool view.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I would like for it to be possible to use without coding. I would like dropdown ootion so that every customer can modify easily as per requirements and can understand it. They shouldn't need to learn Java or another scripting.

More than five years

It is very stable. It's very good. It's also scalable. Our clients are small, medium, and large size enterprises.

Scalability is perfect.

The response time should be reduced for tickets.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We need to provide some security information and that's it. It takes around one week to deploy all of the configurations, max. It depends on how customers move ahead with the process.

Yes, we evaluated bmc, hp etc

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend for ServiceNow. It's very good and straightforward.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

The dashboard should be more clear so that I can clearly see the errors. It should be a single console. I want it to be categorized by which specific issues everything is facing.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
ServiceNow Discovery
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kush Rai - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Leader, Solutions architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
A great single system of records which allows addition of other modules
  • "It's a single system of record and it captures the relationships."
  • "Without improvement in the patters, applications can't be discovered"

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using Discovery to make sure that we have a single record in the CI, or a primary source of truth. Most of our customers are buying ServiceNow from the CMDB perspective as well as Discovery. Very few have moved on to the next level, which is the service mapping. Our primary use case is definitely in terms of the CMDB because they have all the processes working in silos including the SS or the CIs, it's all managed in silos. That is our biggest problem. Everybody has access to the CMDB so anybody can actually update the records.

The other thing is that we wanted to make sure that they capture the CI, the relationship between the CIs. That is our other main objective and focus.

We are an elite partner of ServiceNow and I'm the solution architect for IT operations management.

What is most valuable?

The advantage of the solution is that it's a single system of record and it captures the relationship. I need to be able to enable the plugin for DRCOG data certification.

What needs improvement?

The patterns are the biggest area where improvement could be made. If there's no pattern for application X, then you can't discover that particular application. That is a drawback of the product. ServiceNow gives the URL or specifies an application they can discover and devices they can discover. But if the customer has something else, then it's a challenge. One of my customers had an NAS device and it couldn't discover it. If you don't have the back end of ServiceNow, then unfortunately it doesn't work.

None of this applies to iPhones. ServiceNow claims it can discover iPhones but the data is very limited. It's really not applicable.

I've been using Discovery for more than six years.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

I think the initial setup is more complex than it initially appears.

Our client uses Qualys so I was comparing that with ServiceNow. The client already has Qualys in their infrastructure. They were hoping to continue using Qualys and ingesting the data into ServiceNow. That is not a helpful integration but I wanted to evaluate it so I will suggest they use ServiceNow separately.

What other advice do I have?

The advantage of ServiceNow is that it's a single system of record which allows you to build other modules on top of it. That's the advantage of ServiceNow,

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to use, and is a convenient option within the ServiceNow framework
  • "The best part about ServiceNow Discovery is that it is included in the ServiceNow suite."
  • "The service mapping component is less developed than it is in other solutions, and is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I work with IT service management solutions such as ServiceNow Discovery.

What is most valuable?

The best part about ServiceNow Discovery is that it is included in the ServiceNow suite. With other solutions, it is a separate product. You still have to pay an additional fee, but it is within the same framework.

The architecture is really simple and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The service mapping component is less developed than it is in other solutions, and is in need of improvement. For example, BMC uses a more sophisticated mechanism to make the link between the services and the infrastructure.

This solution is a little more difficult to manage because you have two CMDBs.

We have experienced no stability problems or technical difficulties.

We do not contact technical support directly because technical issues are dealt with by our integrator.

I have experience with BMC and Micro Focus solutions, and they are the two best products in this space. ServiceNow discovery is younger than either of these two solutions and although it is good, it is not as good as the others. The advantage of ServiceNow Discovery is that it is totally included in the ServiceNow Suite.

It is worth noting that the BMC and Micro Focus products are more than 20 years old. By comparison, ServiceNow is only about seven years old.

We work with an integrator who takes care of the installation. We describe what we want to see and the integrator does the job.

This solution is a paid option within the ServiceNow framework.

With most clients, we spend perhaps a week testing and evaluating different solutions before a decision is made on which one to implement.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a fully cloud-based solution, but for the Discovery component, you are going to have a local server to perform discovery in the network. In fact, you need to have one discovery server in each local network area, within the secure zone.

Private Cloud
Download our free ServiceNow Discovery Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022