Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ServiceNow Discovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow Discovery is #1 ranked solution in top Cloud Resource Discovery Services and #9 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give ServiceNow Discovery an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. ServiceNow Discovery is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: ServiceNow Discovery vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. ServiceNow Discovery is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ServiceNow Discovery?

ServiceNow Discovery finds applications and devices on your network, and then updates the CMDB with the information it finds. Discovery is available as a separate subscription from the rest of the Now Platform.

ServiceNow Discovery Customers
York, National Grid, DXC Technology, experian, BEACHBODY
ServiceNow Discovery Video

ServiceNow Discovery Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow Discovery pricing:
  • "The price could be better. It's a bit on the pricey side."
  • "It's a bit expensive compared to other products in the market, but it's worth the money you pay because it's far advanced in terms of features, automation, and capabilities compared to other products."
  • "It costs a lot. It is probably close to over a hundred thousand. It's an expensive platform, but you can't compare ServiceNow's Discovery functionality to other discovery tools. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison of ServiceNow to a configuration management tool to an asset management tool because it does those things, but it's not those things."
  • "There is a subscription for ServiceNow Discovery. It's expensive, but I think it's one of the best solutions on the market, so it's worth it."
  • "It is an expensive product with a price that depends on the models that you wish to purchase."
  • ServiceNow Discovery Reviews

Erikjan Niejenhuis - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Leaderboard
    Helpful in discovering vulnerabilities and used software assets
    • "We can find servers or services we were unaware of and stumble on vulnerabilities from those devices."
    • "Improvements are required with the scripts used to collect the information from servers."

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow Discovery to update our CMDB and to discover the used software assets. In one flow, we can run all the scripts necessary for ITOM for the CMDB and software asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

The CMDB is an important database for the whole organization, not just operationally but increasingly for security. For example, in ServiceNow Discovery, we can find servers or services we were unaware of and stumble on vulnerabilities from those devices. Increasingly, our CMDB is the golden source when that wasn't the case four years ago.

What needs improvement?

ServiceNow is agentless. This has advantages if you're not utilizing the CPU space of the machines you are discovering. However, the downside is that you always have to discuss logging into servers. It also requires credentials and figuring out where to store them, so an agent solution is likely easier because you only have the credential issue when installing it. After that, you are always in direct contact with your devices. This is also true for cloud because it tends to be immutable once deployed, and an agent makes it much easier to get on those devices. I believe ServiceNow is planning to add an agent, but it does not have that feature today.

Regarding additional features, I believe ServiceNow is planning an introduction in more countries and adding service mapping, which goes beyond the discovery. The addition will try logging into a machine and discovering what connections one node has to another node or a database. Based on that, it will update the connections in the CMDB. So rather than observing the infrastructure and CIs, it observes the services. That will be another part of a separate contract.

We have been using this solution since 2018, using the platform release of San Diego. It is deployed both on-premises and cloud. We install net servers in any data center we want to discover, and there is also a net server running on AWS.

ServiceNow Discovery
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Discovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good and doesn't increase the load of the to-be-discovered machines. I think it's about 1% and it's not a burden for the owners of the machines. The solution works, and we discover our full network every day.

The solution can be scaled differently, and a new net server can be installed. The net server is the distributed solution for ServiceNow Discovery, so it doesn't discover from the SaaS solution and needs a server that runs in the data center that it needs to operate. So if we need more, we install more net servers and do the work in parallel or depending on the need. We can also install it on half of your Windows machines.

ServiceNow Discovery is used only by the operators of the discovery function, which is limited to a team of five to ten people. However, the result can go into the CMDB, which thousands of people use.

We use three to four people for deployment and maintenance. We currently use this solution to full capacity. The on-premises data centers in the Netherlands are fully discovered, similar to cloud. I believe a couple of data centers are yet to be discovered in Japan or Spain. We have 15 different operating countries, and most of them have their own servers in the data center locally, requiring net servers to be installed in those locations. Some of those countries already have it, and a couple of countries don't, but we can probably expand by another ten to 20 percent.

There are a lot of discussions with ServiceNow because improvements are required with the scripts used to collect the information from servers. We usually discuss the level of detail it brings, ensuring that it discovers all the nodes in a certain IP range when it finds a node and what data it collects.

There is a hotline where you can post your tickets, and ServiceNow responds in an adequate amount of time. I rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We were using TOPdesk for service management, and no discovery feature was included, so we didn't proceed with it. ServiceNow Discovery is not the cheapest solution, and the pricing model is based on discovered nodes, so if you discover a lot, it becomes expensive. For public cloud, if you set everything to get to discovery, the public cloud makes the pricing model expensive.

We eventually decided that mixing solutions did not help fulfil our strategy, so we stuck with ServiceNow Discovery. We explored other brands like Device42 and Tanium, but in the end, we didn't use them.

The difficulty in installing ServiceNow Discovery is not different from ServiceNow. The networks tend to be separated from freelance, and they all have firewalls you need to go through. So implementing a solution like ServiceNow Discovery, which is quite intrusive on a data center, you always need to work with security on how to implement it safely and practically. For a lot of products, practicality vs security is always a challenge. Deployment is completed in-house with our engineers.

We have not seen an ROI. It is hard to calculate because the data in the CMDB is not quantifiable. For example, we can't quantify the price for a security incident not being resolved or the price for something that is not in the CMDB. The CMDB must become the center and motor of IT operations which is what we are establishing and trying to do. This all subscribes to running IT as a business.

We have a contracted price, but I am unsure of the exact price. We have a three-year contract, and then we agree on a certain amount of nodes to be discovered. ServiceNow will provide a quote which will then be part of the contract. While the contract is in effect, it is possible to overspend, and then we will have new discussions with ServiceNow.

There are no extra costs, ServiceNow does an evaluation every couple of months, and then they monitor whether we are overconsuming. If we are notified, we will discuss the possible expansion of the contract.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. Regarding advice, I would say don't consider a discovery feature as technology in isolation. Discovery contributes to the configuration goal, which is part of IT service management. It needs to be considered as a whole IT service management, where there is a service management tool, monitoring solutions, and configuration. So if there is an incident, we want to know where the incident occurs and the configuration items. If we monitor and then find something, we want to know what the configuration item is to be able to raise an incident.

I would also advise others not to consider Device42 in isolation if you still need to decide on all the different capabilities. For example, if you have service management already in place and are looking to expand towards discovery, then Device42 is okay. In addition, I wouldn't recommend using ServiceNow for service management and Device42 for the discovery part because there is a benefit in having just one platform with one language.

Specialist (US IT Recruiter) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable with good encryption but technical support isn't helpful
    • "The initial setup is pretty easy."
    • "Technical support has not been helpful when we have come across problems."

What is our primary use case?

We are trying to discover the laptops, machines, network devices, and cloud inventory in our organization by using ServiceNow Discovery. We wanted to have a cross-check between the SCCM and Discovery, and are trying to decide which could be a better choice.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, when we're talking about ServiceNow Discovery, we have our own instances, and we would be giving IP subnets into it. These IP subnets would contain the range of all the CI's, which are available in the network. Then, once we start the Discovery schedules, it can scan the network and fill in the data, whichever is available on the network.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The solution is fairly stable.

The security is very good. We have encryption supported from ServiceNow and therefore I haven't found any issues surrounding safety concerns.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks the capability of discovering the devices which are not in the network. That is an area where they could improve upon. In the next release, we are actually looking for a solution for the devices which don't come into the network. Nowadays, because of this pandemic, most of the users are logging in from home, and we don't have any way to discover those assets. We are looking for a solution that can help us to discover those kinds of user devices.

During the initial setup, we get some errors and the solution doesn't exactly understand what they mean or how to fix them. They need to have more of an explanation so that we can accurately go about fixing the errors as they arise.

Technical support has not been helpful when we have come across problems. They take too long to respond and then don't provide helpful information.

I've been using the solution for more than three years at this point.

The stability overall has been very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs and glitches. It's good.

We have been increasing pretty extensively. The users are running on a daily basis, and it is becoming one of the major sources for updating all the CI's that exist in the network.

We have an IT team of about 30 or more individuals that are on the solution.

We've had to reach out to technical support in relation to the errors we get during setup. They have not been very helpful overall. In most cases, when you raise a ticket, even when it is critical, they take two to three days to respond. Even then, the response really doesn't help us address the issue. We're not very satisfied with their level of support at this time.

It is not complex when setting up Discovery. It's pretty straightforward. That said, what happens is that after you set up the Discovery, there are different errors that you might get when you actually run the product, and that is something that needs to be improved. We get some errors and the solution doesn't give us the full information about what is causing the issue.

In terms of deployment times,  it has taken four months for the implementation of ServiceNow Discovery. The strategy was very straightforward. We just we activated the ServiceNow Discovery plugin and then we analyzed the data and started filling in the Discovery details.

We are implementing ServiceNow Discovery for our clients.

I do not know the exact cost, however, I do know that there is one particular subscription charge for the number of the CI spots we use.

We're also looking at SCCM and comparing the two solutions to see which would fit our organization better. The difference between the two, for the most part, is that ServiceNow is agentless, whereas, with SCCM, you need an agent.

What other advice do I have?

We are an implementor. We implement this product for our clients.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We use different deployment models - both on-premises and on the cloud.

This is one of the best tools for organizations looking for a tool with agentless applications. You do not need to install an agent in any of the CI's. However, if you go for the other solution like SCCM, that is an agent-based solution, where you need to install the agent on all your end-user computers. Therefore, if an organization is looking for an agentless solution, then probably ServiceNow Discovery is a great good option.

Users should have a thorough understanding of how CMDB data tables are structured, and they should also know how Discovery works. You should also have an idea whether you would be integrating asset management along with ServiceNow Discovery or not. If you are going with a flat ServiceNow Discovery, then later on, if you want to implement asset management, then it could be quite difficult.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I would rate it higher, however, they aren't transparent when it comes to the meanings of errors we sometimes get during setup.

ServiceNow Discovery
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Johnathan Bennett - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Servicenow Developer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable, helps improve efficiencies, and uses AI to help build events
    • "It does a good job of collecting the data that's necessary for data centers, and IT's operations."
    • "When you switch versions, for example, when you go from Paris to Quebec they will introduce many new things and occasionally things break when they do that."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to populate the CMDB and to track changes in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves process efficiencies.

When people need to query for information, they don't have to go to seven different people. They can go to a single source.

What is most valuable?

When it comes to the internal data centers and the on-premise data centers, they are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

When you switch versions, for example, when you go from Paris to Quebec they will introduce many new things and occasionally things break when they do that. You usually find out after the fact when you stumble into it.

I currently have an issue that we just stumbled into, where our bucket wasn't populating correctly from my own Google cloud. They're trying to figure out how to fix that.

They should include support for Google Cloud.

I have been working with ServiceNow Discovery for ten years.

The version we are using is Paris.

It's a reliable product.

Scalability is pretty good, but they are lacking a bit in the Google Cloud realm.

They are really good in others such as Azure, AWS, and IBM. It seemed to have matured those a little better. Maybe the problem is with Google Cloud being a partner and keeping up with them. I am not sure where it's lacking. Is it ServiceNow or just Google Cloud?

Our users vary from technical people to managers to business people. We do it that way to assign costs so things could be lower.

With the first couple of reports, managers were surprised at the cost, but when you do it in increments throughout the year, you don't realize what the total is coming to until you get to the end of the year.

For the most part, ServiceNow has gone through a few growing pains. They have grown rapidly.

The first line of support is sometimes lacking. Once you get to the second and third-level people, they are good.

I would rate technical support an eight out of ten. After the first line, you can tell the person is pretty new.

We used Maximo Tatem and it was really cumbersome.

The data was excellent but you had two different vehicles.

You had your Discovery pool, and you had another server that took the data from Discovery. That had to be mapped into the Maximo database. You then had a Discovery server, with an in-between server that did the translation and put it into Maximo.

It was convoluted.

The Discovery engine was wonderful, but getting the data from Discovery back into the Maximo database was difficult.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The price could be better. It's a bit on the pricey side.

As a product, they are probably right at the top. Their only competition I would say right now would be Dynatrace.

Dynatrace is missing a few things, but so is ServiceNow. You can take your pick, as they are both good.

What other advice do I have?

The data is really good, it's reliable and they keep adding to it.

They are using AI with a lot of cases to help build the events, which is good.

I would rate ServiceNow a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Sr. Automation Consultant (ITOM/ITAM, Cloud, DevOps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Feature-rich with many plugins that integrates well, and they have a solid support team
    • "The biggest advantage of ServiceNow is the value that it brings."
    • "They can expand on the plugins for some of the other tools."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. We implement solutions for our clients.

The primary use case of this solution is to automate inventory management, asset management, and discovery. It also used to integrate with other monitoring tools for instant management change.

Mainly, the primary use case would be the automatic management of inventory.

What is most valuable?

We integrate with other products.

They keep expanding even for the cloud, and there are many plugins.

The biggest advantage of ServiceNow is the value that it brings.

What needs improvement?

They can expand on the plugins for some of the other tools.

In the next release, they can automate some of the workflows similar to what they have with TAM Pro.

With the integration, they can include some of the commonly used tools such as SCCM. They can benefit from bringing in other tools for their workflows.

We are hoping that they explore or leverage some of their existing tools such as Tanium for the purposes of discovery and monitoring.

I have used this solution in the last 12 months.

We are up-to-date with the latest versions, but it depends on what the clients prefer. We have Orlando and New York also.

It's stable. I have seen a few glitches, but not often. In general, it's pretty stable.

It's definitely scalable; you just have to add IP ranges and set it up.

Technical support is strong.

We have a technical account manager assigned to the product when we purchase it and then you can find support with a person. It is very diligent and it is pretty solid.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not very complex, but there are a lot of dependencies for clients to set up their environments, such as IP ranges.

If they have a mature network architecture that is dependent on IP ranges then the setup will not be complex.

The value that they get from the product is good. Once you set it up, it's easily scalable and there's a large scope for automation and the product keeps expanding.

There are many licensing strategies. For example, discovery is based on the number of nodes or subscription units.

It's a bit expensive compared to other products in the market, but it's worth the money you pay because it's far advanced in terms of features, automation, and capabilities compared to other products.

The sentiment that we get from clients is that ServiceNow is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.

Configuration Manager at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
    A robust, agentless, and easy-to-deploy solution for finding a variety of devices
    • "It's pretty robust, and it's agentless for the most part. So, you don't need to deploy agents, which makes it a lot easier to stand up."
    • "It's an expensive platform."

What is our primary use case?

You can use it for network resources, servers, databases, and network gear. I've also used it in the past for asset management to discover desktop equipment, laptops, and peripherals.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty robust, and it's agentless for the most part. So, you don't need to deploy agents, which makes it a lot easier to stand up.

What needs improvement?

It's an expensive platform. In terms of features, it's pretty functional. You could always tweak it, but I don't have any problem with it. I don't find it to be at a disadvantage compared to something like SCCM, Intune, or any other tool that can do discoveries.

It is very stable. We have no problems with managing it and it being available for us.

It definitely seems very scalable. With it being agentless, you can set it up for IP ranges, and it'll go do what it needs to do. You don't have to implement it with agents to keep monitoring.

We have about 75 people who use this solution.

It was pretty straightforward.

It costs a lot. It is probably close to over a hundred thousand. It's an expensive platform, but you can't compare ServiceNow's Discovery functionality to other discovery tools. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison of ServiceNow to a configuration management tool to an asset management tool because it does those things, but it's not those things.

What other advice do I have?

If it's too expensive, there are definitely a lot of alternatives out there that can do discovery just as well, especially if they have published APIs. I'm not wedded to ServiceNow's Discovery tool. You can get the same functionality from other applications like Device42 or SCCM. There are a lot of other options that are very cost-effective that can do exactly the same thing.

It's not perfect. I would rate it an eight out of ten. I have definitely seen other tools do a lot more, but they're more focused on other things.

CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Great scripting features but some additional features for asset management are needed

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for three things: hardware asset management, software asset management, and IT service management.

Within our organization, there are 500 employees using this solution. We definitely plan to continue using this solution.

What is most valuable?

I find that the Discovery and scripting features are the most useful.

What needs improvement?

On the Software Asset Management part of it, I expect additional reconciliation and Discovery features there.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

ServiceNow Discovery is definitely stable.

ServiceNow Discovery is easy to scale. It's got different bolt-ons, so you can scale up or scale down, as you require.

I have raised tickets with them. I've not had to deal with them that much, but I've raised a few tickets when dealing with them, and they're quite good.

The is no installation process. There are plugins, but most of the product is in the cloud. That's the attraction. It's a SaaS product, so a lot of it's in the cloud.

There is a subscription for ServiceNow Discovery. It's expensive, but I think it's one of the best solutions on the market, so it's worth it.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend ServiceNow Discovery to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

AnkurAshok - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager - Retail Sales at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable product that offers strong insights but does not have enough features to function independently

What is our primary use case?

When my team starting any project or learning a new environment, we always implement ServiceNow Discovery which can be used along with other products. We are able to extract details on the environment to help transition services.

What is most valuable?

This solution provides excellent insights.

What needs improvement?

Application discovery could be improved. Right now, ServiceNow needs to be coupled with another solution in order to verify the information.

It is a stable product.

This is a scalable product, especially since it is within a public cloud.

We have not needed to use support.

The initial setup is easy but expect to have to take some time to learn the product.

What other advice do I have?

This is something that I would recommend for medium or large companies.

I would rate this a seven out of ten.

Other
    Download our free ServiceNow Discovery Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022