Secure Email Threat Defense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Secure Email Threat Defense is the #13 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Secure Email Threat Defense an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Secure Email Threat Defense is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Email: Secure Email Threat Defense vs Cisco Secure Email. Secure Email Threat Defense is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.
Secure Email Threat Defense Buyer's Guide

Download the Secure Email Threat Defense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Secure Email Threat Defense?
Cisco Secure Email Threat Defense provides the most comprehensive protection against damaging and costly email threats that compromise your organization’s brand and operations. Its advanced threat detection capabilities uncover known, emerging and targeted threats. Expand the scope of your defenses to identify malicious techniques, gain context for specific business risks, detect dangerous threats, and rapidly search for and remediate threats across security controls.

Secure Email Threat Defense was previously known as Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox, Cisco CMD, Cisco Cloud Mailbox Defense.

Secure Email Threat Defense Customers

Luiss University, Lone Star College, T-Systems, Magyar Telekom

Secure Email Threat Defense Video

Secure Email Threat Defense Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Secure Email Threat Defense pricing:
  • "Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox does not have any competition with Sophos, Trend Micro, or other vendors of the world. However, there is a pricing premium for the solution. One has to look at it from that angle that while they are buying Cisco, there will be a premium, and Cisco justifies that premium value. That's why they're charging a high price."
  • "The feedback from vendors and customer is that it is expensive."
  • Secure Email Threat Defense Reviews

IT Professional at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Mature and easy to set up with good security
    • "The features and functionalities are much better than Microsoft's in-built Defender plan."
    • "The pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

You need to have email security on your entry point. It helps us to avoid all the spam mails and getting your domain blacklisted, et cetera. In the initial stages, the security solution provided by Microsoft was not strong enough or not mature enough. So we had this in place and were able to see if mail received on the domain is spam mail or not. If there is malware within an attachment, it goes for analysis and is sandboxed, and sends back the attachment once it is cleared.

What is most valuable?

The sandboxing and file analysis as well as the malware protection are great. People send either through attachments or Excel or PDF or a Java script embedded in something. This product has helped us to protect our organization from any malware attack in the past.

It is a mature solution that provides good security.

The solution is simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

I haven't found any weak points just yet.

The pricing could always be better.

We started using the solution for the past year.

Secure Email Threat Defense
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Secure Email Threat Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

It's scalable. It's all on cloud, and therefore, you have the potential to scale up.

We have about 3% of the company on the solution.

We only dealt with support one or two times during implementation. We didn't have to contact them after it was set up.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Prior to Cisco, we used Ironport.

The setup was very simple and straightforward.

It is not difficult to maintain.

We engaged with a system integrator for the initial setup.

We'd like the pricing to be lowered. However, I can't speak to the exact cost of the license.

I haven't evaluated any other tools. It's my understanding that Symantec also had a product for email security and now Microsoft has its own email security built in for 365. I haven't evaluated their products. Compared to Microsoft's current status or stage of evolution in the email security space, Cisco is much advanced in building in the industry for quite a long time.

Maybe when my Cisco is due for renewal, after two years, I may compare at that time what the maturity level is of both products. For example, if Microsoft is mature enough to handle the current risks that are in place, then we may think of leaving Cisco and taking everything on the Microsoft system.

What other advice do I have?

We have done the configuration and our configuration and policy setting and everything. At the time of our implementation, there was work to do. However, once you implement there is not much to do apart from some whitelisting or blacklisting which you need to do on case to case basis. That's all.

Once people started working more from home, we had to consider that and started moving to the cloud.

Earlier I used to take the mail to my premises, process it, and send it back to the O365 cloud. That was actually an app loop and that just took up some of my bandwidth. However, when the time came for the renewal, I moved it to the cloud so that the entire traffic could flow outside my network to the O365 for instance.

We are on the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to those who are looking for separate or dedicated email security. If they're non-Office or Office 365 users, I'd recommend it for sure. And if they are Office 365 users, they should compare both Cisco and Microsoft email security to see which would be best.

Mukesh Tiwari - PeerSpot reviewer
    AVP- Sales at Velocis Systems
    Excellent support, reliable, and useful notification
    • "Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox can handle a complete portfolio, which is required to protect any kind of attack coming from emails. However, it does not have advanced phishing, but it is available through Cisco. If you compare Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox with the competition, in the competition you have to have one or two solutions together to address the customer's requirement, whereas Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox is addressing everything, such as web domain and email protection. If there is any kind of challenge it will come across through email."
    • "Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox can improve by adding advanced phishing, then the solution would become the best in the market. However, this could increase the price even more. Additionally, if CES with domain protection could be added it would be an even better solution."

What is most valuable?

Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox can handle a complete portfolio, which is required to protect any kind of attack coming from emails. However, it does not have advanced phishing, but it is available through Cisco. If you compare Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox with the competition, in the competition you have to have one or two solutions together to address the customer's requirement, whereas Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox is addressing everything, such as web domain and email protection. If there is any kind of challenge it will come across through email.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox can improve by adding advanced phishing, then the solution would become the best in the market. However, this could increase the price even more. Additionally, if CES with domain protection could be added it would be an even better solution.

I have used Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox for two years.

I have Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox to be stable.

The scalability of the Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox is good.

The support from Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox is excellent. Regardless of the solution that Cisco carries, the advanced sales and support they provide their partners are beneficial. All mechanisms are put together, they have excellent support and infrastructure.

I have used other solutions, such as Trend Micro.

For the initial setup, it's a matter of adaptability. If the adoption is taken at the early stage, then the implementation becomes smoother. The more the setup is larger and when introducing any new team, you will have challenges.

Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox does not have any competition with Sophos, Trend Micro, or other vendors of the world. However, there is a pricing premium for the solution. One has to look at it from that angle that while they are buying Cisco, there will be a premium, and Cisco justifies that premium value. That's why they're charging a high price.

The cost comes from their support and the feature set of the complete portfolio. If somebody is only buying Cloud Email Security from Cisco, and they have many other solutions, which are non-Cisco, he may not see the value, but fully Cisco-based customers, are more than willing to have more solutions from Cisco.

When comparing Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox to other solutions they are the leading in the market for a particular point. When it comes to an enterprise-level solution, CES with APP and domain protection becomes a very strong proposition.

What other advice do I have?

The market is going towards clientless and agentless requirements.

Microsoft has its own email security solutions, but there are a lot of reasons for customers to look at cloud email security vendors. However, most people, don't even explore other options. They have their own perception that one must be a costlier solution than the other. They're giving three or four additional features, which they might think are not required, but when it comes to a discussion, then one would realize that all these are required over a period of time. With the kind of variety of attacks that happen these days, your solution has to have a wider range of features for protection.

I rate Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox a nine out of ten.

Secure Email Threat Defense
    November 2022
    654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Product Manager-Cyber Security & Networking Active at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Secure, comprehensive, and simple to install
    • "I would say it's very comprehensive, with multiple antivirus OEMs, virus encrypt features, encryption, and more."
    • "Customers will benefit greatly from monthly billing because the majority of customers today use the cloud, be it Office 365, or Google Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider. When it comes to email security, the main threat factor today is email. So we follow the rule of thumb that any and all customer emails must be malware-free. That is how we intend to approach it.

What is most valuable?

I would say it's very comprehensive, with multiple antivirus OEMs, virus encrypt features, encryption, and more.

In terms of email security, I believe Trend Micro is similar to this solution to some extent it is closest, otherwise, it has no competition.

What needs improvement?

The distributors provide an annual billing option, but we do not have a monthly billing option. Customers will benefit greatly from monthly billing because the majority of customers today use the cloud, be it Office 365, or Google Cloud. Monthly billing will be extremely beneficial.

Maybe the end DLP can be a bit more granular in email security. DLP is already present, but it could be more in-depth.

I have been selling Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox for the last eight years.

It's a hybrid solution, but most are moving toward on-premises or the cloud.

We have not had any issue with the stability of the Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox.

It is a scalable solution. It is easy to scale.

They increase the number of users we can use by 20% for the duration of the year. And the coming year they will bill for the 20 percent, and you can increase the number of users.

We don't find any issues that need security technical support. Once you implement, we are well versed in implementation and have the technical results. There is no further support required once it is implemented and the pointer is pointed towards the mailboxes. With so many data centers in India and Singapore, support is never an issue.

We sell Fortinet as well as Cisco.

We haven't sold a lot of FortiMail. We've sold a lot of Fortinet firewalls, but not a lot of FortiMail. We have also sold a few FortiWeb web application firewalls.

It is dependent on a specific customer segment and a specific vendor. Fortinet, we take it to a lot of small and medium-sized customers.

The initial setup is easy, it is not at all complex.

The feedback from vendors and customer is that it is expensive.

It's expensive, but if customers want the best product they will have to pay for the best product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Secure Email Cloud Mailbox an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Karthik Venkataraman - PeerSpot reviewer
    ConsultantSenior at Velocis Systems
    Easy to deploy and configure with excellent support
    • "It's very easy to deploy and configure."
    • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a secure mailbox. We do provide this solution to customers. The main use case is for email protection.

What is most valuable?

The product offers very good documentation and guides.

It's very easy to deploy and configure.

Their intelligence is pretty competitive when compared to other email security vendors. Cisco has a strong reputation.

The solution has been stable.

We find the product to be scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit expensive. It could be cheaper.

I've used the solution for about five years.

The stability is very good. It's reliable and offers nice performance. It does not crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

It scales quite well.

We have more than 100 people on the solution right now.

Technical support is helpful and responsive. We have no complaints about their level of service.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution deploys very easily. It's also simple to configure. The process is not overly complex or difficult. The deployment itself takes, at a maximum, half an hour. It's quite fast. You just have to point it toward your email office.

The license is pretty clear and understandable. It's based on the user base and the subscription base. It could be a bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, the ease of deployment is the low-hanging fruit for Cisco email security. It's good to deploy and then easy to use, and the GUI is understandable. Simply having email knowledge is more than enough to plug and play into this particular product.

I'd rate it ten out of ten.

Google
    Technical Support Executive at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Great anti-spam capability with a very user-friendly interface

What is our primary use case?

It can be deployed either on-premise or in the cloud. We have two options if it is in the cloud, a private cloud or a public cloud.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Cloud Mailbox is used for copying emails, anti-spamming, and securing the company's email. We really enjoy the anti-spamming capabilities as well as the rejecting of bulk emails. We can customize these actions by adjusting the variables. It is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, Cisco Cloud Mailbox meets all of our requirements. If I had to say something, maybe they could have a more regular update schedule or perhaps hire more support engineers to get service faster.

We have been using Cisco Cloud Mailbox for about two years. We used the latest version.

Cisco Cloud Mailbox is very stable.

Cisco Cloud Mailbox is easily scalable.

The customers are very good. They can connect to the support engineer or install built-on mail through the Support ID. The issue will be monitored and resolved within a standard amount of time.

The initial setup for Cisco Cloud Mailbox is easy and straightforward. It takes our technical team a maximum of one day.

We handle all deployments with our in-house technical team.

Customers pay for licencing based on the number of user mailboxes they have.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend Cisco Cloud Mailbox very highly. I would rate it at a nine on a scale of ten.

Private Cloud
    Security Technical Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Scalable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to protect cloud-based emails.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved by integration with Sandbox.

I have been working with this solution for a few years, since 2018.

This solution is scalable.

Cisco's technical support is very good.

The installation was straightforward since it's a cloud-based solution.

This solution was implemented through an in-house team. I did it myself for a customer.

My customers pay for a one year license.

Fortinet is a better solution than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product an eight out of ten. I wouldn't recommend Cisco to others because I think Fortinet is better.

Customers are moving on-premises exchanges to the cloud. Within the next two or three years, cloud security will be better than on-premises.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Secure Email Threat Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022