Cloudflare OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cloudflare is the #2 ranked solution in top CDN tools and #3 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. PeerSpot users give Cloudflare an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Cloudflare is most commonly compared to Azure Front Door: Cloudflare vs Azure Front Door. Cloudflare is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Cloudflare?

Cloudflare is the leading performance and security company helping to build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 9 million Internet applications. More than 10 trillion Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network each month, accounting for nearly 10% of all Internet requests globally.

Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with each new site added. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

Cloudflare Customers

Trusted by over 9,000,000 Internet Applications and APIs, including Nasdaq, Zendesk, Crunchbase, Steve Madden, OkCupid, Cisco, Quizlet, Discord and more.

Cloudflare Video

Cloudflare Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cloudflare pricing:
  • "In terms of licensing costs, we don't pay for licensing for Cloudflare. We only establish communication, then for peering, Cloudflare takes care of the cross-connection in different data centers."
  • "The solution is expensive when compared to other products but offers unlimited bandwidth."
  • "The price is reasonable."
  • "It's a premium model. You can start at zero and work your way up to the enterprise model, which has a very high pricing level."
  • "We don't have any issues with the price."
  • Cloudflare Reviews

Network engineer at Ufinet
    Traces and manages applications and monitors traffic; easy to set up and scale, and has knowledgeable technical support
    • "What I like best about Cloudflare is that my company can use it to trace and manage applications and monitor traffic. The solution tells you if there's a spike in traffic. Cloudflare also sends you a link to check your equipment and deployment and track it through peering, so it's a valuable tool."
    • "It would be good if Cloudflare could have more servers for better traffic routing or an increase in the traffic routed. This is what I'd like to improve in Cloudflare."

What is our primary use case?

We monitor traffic on Cloudflare, and we have some applications that we download on Cloudflare. We have ten to twenty gigs per country.

Our customers are residential ISP customers with high traffic because of Google apps, Amazon network peering, and Direct TV, so we use Cloudflare for the customers. For example, we announce all traffic or customer traffic to the BDP station, and Cloudflare works by caching the content, and the servers send the content to our clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be good if Cloudflare could have more servers for better traffic routing or an increase in the traffic routed. This is what I'd like to improve in Cloudflare.

In the next release of Cloudflare, it would be good if it could give more information about applications, particularly which ones still need improvement.

Cloudflare is a stable solution. At first, my company had a graphics-related problem during the POC stage, but after that, my company didn't experience any issues with Cloudflare. The Cloudflare connection is stable.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Cloudflare is a scalable solution. The process to scale it is clear, and the Cloudflare team will contact you to check if you want to scale up.

The technical support for Cloudflare is good because the team is knowledgeable about the connection, standard, special configurations, etc. My team had no problems double-checking configurations with the Cloudflare technical support team.

We didn't use a different solution apart from Cloudflare.

The initial setup for Cloudflare is easy because you only have to connect it to your private cloud based on your requirements. I didn't experience any issues connecting the tool.

In my company, deploying Cloudflare required a lot of equipment, so it took four to five days to complete the deployment, but there was no problem with the process.

In terms of licensing costs, we don't pay for licensing for Cloudflare. We only establish communication, then for peering, Cloudflare takes care of the cross-connection in different data centers.

What other advice do I have?

My company has different computing tools in Colombia, Miami, South America, Brazil, and Chile, such as Akamai, Cloudflare, CDN, and Google Playbook.

I have hands-on experience with Akamai, Twitch, and Cloudflare.

My company is a Cloudflare customer.

Three engineers handle the deployment and maintenance of Cloudflare within my company. The NOC team monitors the cluster, and if there's any issue, my team checks the port, and the engineers review the patch to see if it's okay. If the problem remains, my team escalates to the Operations team responsible for looking into the issue more closely. Within two hours, the Operations team contacts my team about the resolution.

I'd recommend Cloudflare to other companies because it helps monitor traffic.

My rating for Cloudflare is a ten out of ten because it's a helpful tool, and I didn't find anything wrong with it.

Private Cloud
    Senior Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    An intuitive solution that's great for a small business
    • "From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet"
    • "Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva."

What is most valuable?

Cloudflare is easy to use. It's very intuitive. Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva. I think Imperva is far richer in features from what I can see, but I think that can bring its own pains to be honest. For this reason, I think Cloudflare is a simpler version.

With Imperva, you can drill down to packet-level very easily. It's very, very good at drilling down deeper and deeper into the packet. I think that is available with Cloudflare, but it's not as good. It doesn't seem to provide us with the same kind of search capability as Imperva. Having said that, I think that's one of the advantages of Cloudflare because you just have to click a button and drill down via clicking. I actually like Cloudflare to be honest. Imperva is almost too difficult for normal businesses — it's too complex. There's almost too much information there. Whereas with Cloudflare, it's easier to drill down and it's more intuitive.

I've only been using Cloudflare for a week.

I wasn't involved in the implementation, so I have no idea how much it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is quite intuitive. For businesses that don't have a dedicated security team, I think it's a better product; it's more intuitive for people like us. I'm a network security engineer, but I'm not a dedicated security official. I've too many other things going on to have the time to do the rule sets that you need if you're working with Imperva — I think a lot of that is down to you as the customer. With Cloudflare, I think a lot of that happens in the background.

I've been working with it for a week and a half so I'm not the best person to say if it's better or worse than Imperva. My only reaction is that maybe it's not as feature-rich for the end-user. Whether that's an advantage, well, that's questionable. Maybe we don't need all of those features sometimes — it depends on the business. The business I'm working in now is a very different business with a different kind of security model. The business I was working with when I used Imperva probably needed that feature-rich capability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cloudflare a rating of eight. It's quite intuitive. I like it. From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Stable with good DDoS protection and good scalability potential
    • "The DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution."
    • "The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We use the product for theft and DDoS protection.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer is good. Specifically, the DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution can scale if you need it to. It has the capability to expand.

The product seems to be pretty stable overall.

The technical support is very good. They are knowledgeable and they respond quickly.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the product had some sort of live tracking functionality available to us.

The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it.

I've been using the solution for about two or so years at this point. It's been a while.

I've never really evaluated the stability of the solution. I have no opinion of it. I can't speak to its overall performance very well. Generally, however, I would say that it is largely stable.

The solution doesn't really depend on the number of users, so much as the general traffic. In that sense, it can scale. It's a pretty scalable product.

The technical support on offer is excellent. They are very helpful and responsive. We're quite happy with the level of service they provide to their customers.

The initial setup was neither simple nor complex. It was somewhere in the middle, However, we did have help with the implementation, which was very useful for us.

The deployment took about 11 days in total. It wasn't too long.

Once it is deployed, there is no maintenance required of us.

The vendor helped us with the initial implementation. We had a good experience with them overall.

The solution is relatively expensive. It's not something that comes at a cheap price.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are using the latest version of the solution currently. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.

Other
    Customer Success Associate at RapidCompute
    Good load balancing and DDoS protection with unlimited bandwidth
    • "The solution provides good load balancing and protection against DDoS attacks."
    • "Support response time could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides the solution to customers who need website load balancing or DDoS protection. Customers with minimal traffic use the Business Plan and customers with a huge amount of traffic use the Enterprise Plan.

We currently have thirty customers on the Business Plan and three customers on the Enterprise Plan.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides good load balancing and protection against DDoS attacks.

What needs improvement?

The solution should expand its learning portal for partners to include a few demo accounts for learning the product and developing knowledge or technical expertise.

Support response time could be improved.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable, has curbing centers in Pakistan, and is widely used.

The solution is scalable to each customer's needs. For example, you can scale up if you have two domains and want to add a third. It is easy to incorporate scaling.

The technical support response time for Business Plan customers could be reduced. Most companies opt for this cost-effective plan but they should receive the same service as the Enterprise Plan. Currently, response time for Business Plan customers is six to eight hours and that should be minimized.

I rate support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution is easy to setup and share with customers. We categorize a customer's needs and recommend the best plan based on traffic and whether they need load balancing, bot management, routing, and unlimited bandwidth.

We implement the solution for our customers. Deployment includes one project manager and one support technician.

The solution is expensive when compared to other products but offers unlimited bandwidth.

I rate the licensing options an eight out of ten.

The solution is a great fit for customers who want unlimited bandwidth.

Competitors such as Akamai have strict options for bandwidth so might not be a good fit.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution for customers who don't yet have an idea how much bandwidth they need or who anticipate upscaling in a few months.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Raj Meka - PeerSpot reviewer
    President and CEO at Mekas Cloud Services
    Easy to scale and configure, with reasonable pricing
    • "There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS."
    • "Latencies are always a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company, we provide solutions to our customers. We implement the solutions for our customers. Some of our customers use CloudFlare, some of them are using  Imperva and Palo Alto.

Our customers use this solution for any web traffic, mostly GCP or to AWS cloud as a backend.

What is most valuable?

I like caching and DDoS. There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS.

What needs improvement?

Latencies are always a problem.

Also, one thing I would say is you have to maintain DNS through their services. I don't know if that's a requirement or not.

Latencies are the key issue. If you are not caching and just using DDoS then definitely, there are some latencies added to the traffic.

I have been working with Cloudflare for more than six years.

We work with many different versions. For new customers, we use the latest version.

I haven't had any issues with stability. We haven't heard anything from our clients.

It's a stable solution.

It is easy to scale. We haven't had any problems with scalability.

We have not used technical support.

Cloudflare is very straightforward. It is easy to set up.

There is no installation, you just go through the configuration process.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what the customer is looking for. These are two different areas. Basically, CloudFare is completely Cloud-based, whereas Imperva I can have a physical appliance or a virtual appliance, or a cloud-based.

My solution is based on what customers are looking for, but Cloudflare is pretty good and getting really popular in terms of DDoS, the paid version of it.

We looked at the service. What are acceptable latencies? Is it okay to route through a different vendor, and before it reaches the backup? They have to go through multiple vendors. You also have to consider what the latencies cost and is that acceptable for the service. These are key things you need to consider when selecting a cloud-based vendor for DDoS.

I would rate Cloudflare a nine out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Responsive technical support, and satisfactory performance
    • "Generally, I am satisfied with this product."
    • "We are a product integrator and reseller, and we would like to have a better partner relationship, similar to a channel sales relationship. Sometimes we are on our own or get diverted by Cloudflare because they have direct sales, which competes with us and makes it difficult to build a relationship with this company since we want to be an MSP or a managed service provider for the solution."

What is most valuable?

Generally, I am satisfied with this product.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we are on our own or get diverted by Cloudflare because they have direct sales, which competes with us and makes it difficult to build a relationship with this company since we want to be an MSP or a managed service provider for the solution.

They are creating every week now and developing new products. They are on the right track.

I wouldn't say I want to add anything just yet. While I am attempting to become an MSP, I would like to have access to my clients who are using the product.

An MSP is essentially a corporation that resells a product and wants to provide support and first-level service to its consumers.

Access to the solution's dashboards is not intended for a service company. You are practically blind, and to validate a problem, you must view the customer's screen.

It's not like other systems where you can go into the back dashboard and see what the consumer sees and then alleviate the problem.

To provide help, you must first discover how to gain access to the information.

It is inconvenient.

According to what I hear, they are working on it and will get there gradually.

I have been working with Cloudflare for approximately four years.

Cloudflare is stable, however, its global performance could be better.

They have a few hiccups here and there, but for a startup, that's to be expected.

Technical support is responsive.

There are rivals on the market who provide the same solution at a lesser cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Cloudflare.

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.

Technical Support Engineer at Professional Technologies Kenya
    Reseller
    Internet security software with good overall performance compared to other solutions on the market

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use the web application firewall and Zero Trust predominantly.

What is most valuable?

Zero Trustability has been one of the most valuable features our customers have used.

What needs improvement?

The reporting of this solution could be improved.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support for this solution is really good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are the vendor team that implement this solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

The overall performance of this solution is what make it one of the best solutions on the market. It is important to be able to convince customers that this solution woks well and customers will still have control, even though it is a cloud solution.

I would rate this solution a x out of ten.

Andrii Präger - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at QROK GmbH
    Easy to use, good documentation, reasonably priced, and they have good support

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly. A user who doesn't completely know how everything works can easily sign up and have an account.

It is very clear and the information is very useful.

There is a very good reporting system for statistics.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the CDN services.

Also, the connection could be improved.

There are some issues with stability. We have connection issues.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We don't have any issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security, and more!
    Updated: November 2022