SAP Business Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Business Warehouse is the #9 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Business Warehouse an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP Business Warehouse is most commonly compared to Snowflake: SAP Business Warehouse vs Snowflake. SAP Business Warehouse is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
SAP Business Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Business Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP Business Warehouse?

Reporting, analysis and interpretation of business data are crucial to preserve and enhance the competitive edge of companies by optimizing processes and enabling them to react quickly and in line with market needs. SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW) provides tools and functions that enable companies to attain these goals. In SAP BW, you can integrate, transform, and consolidate relevant business information from productive SAP applications and external data sources. SAP BW provides you with a high-performance infrastructure that helps you evaluate and interpret data. Decision makers can make well-founded decisions and identify target-orientated activities on the basis of the analyzed data.

SAP Business Warehouse Customers

Medtronic, Cirque du Soleil, Antarc, B&G Manufacturing, EarlySense, eBay, Ferrero, James Austin Company, Lenovo, Sagem, RAK Ceramics, Vodafone

SAP Business Warehouse Video

SAP Business Warehouse Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Business Warehouse pricing:
  • "The licensing cost for SAP Business Warehouse depends on your revenue. Its licensing structure is a little bit complicated. The more your revenue is, the higher the price, but SAP does have different pricing structures for various companies. For small businesses, licensing isn't based on revenue, but for big companies, it's revenue-based. There's some agreement regarding pricing for huge companies, so it's different, and SAP Business Warehouse pricing isn't fixed. On a scale of one to ten, I'm rating the licensing cost for SAP Business Warehouse as five because it's very high. As your revenue grows, your licensing cost also increases, so you have to factor that in when calculating your cost."
  • "It's quite pricey. SAP changed its pricing policy, so they give you one engine and then you have to buy everything next to it, like MSS, the BPC licenses, and everything else."
  • "The license for SAP Business Warehouse is paid yearly, and there's no extra cost in addition to the standard licensing fees."
  • "Overall, the pricing is not fixed and is expensive."
  • SAP Business Warehouse Reviews

Sai Kalyan RamChintapalli - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at GIC Re
    Has the ability to feed information into new, multiple systems in various formats; stable, scalable, and provides excellent technical support
    • "What I like most about SAP Business Warehouse is its ability to feed data into new, multiple systems in various formats. It can open its data to any system over gateway services or a portal or application that needs to consume and analyze data."
    • "What I'd like to improve in SAP Business Warehouse is its data structure, that's a little bit rigid. It could be a bit more flexible, so you can design your data structure and improve performance when creating a solution. Currently, the way data is stored in SAP Business Warehouse is rigid."

What is our primary use case?

My organization uses SAP Business Warehouse as its primary data storage platform, so all transactional systems feed data into the business warehouse system. That's the central part. Every department has some information or analytical service running into SAP Business Warehouse.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about SAP Business Warehouse is its ability to feed data into new, multiple systems in various formats. It can open its data to any system over gateway services or a portal or application that needs to consume and analyze data.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like to improve in SAP Business Warehouse is its data structure, that's a little bit rigid. It could be a bit more flexible, so you can design your data structure and improve performance when creating a solution. Currently, the way data is stored in SAP Business Warehouse is rigid.

SAP has released BW/4HANA, and the database has changed. Still, in the next release of SAP Business Warehouse, I'd like to see the capability to run big data solutions and integration with other databases, such as Hadoop, which is currently not there.

My organization has been using SAP Business Warehouse since 2006. As for me, I've been using it since 2012, so I have ten years of experience with it. I'm still using the product.

SAP Business Warehouse
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP Business Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SAP Business Warehouse is quite stable, and its stability is one of its USPs.

SAP Business Warehouse is a very scalable product. Scalability is one of its USPs; it can hold vast amounts of data.

I've contacted the technical support for SAP Business Warehouse, which was wonderful. Once you buy the SAP Business Warehouse license, it comes with a bundle of services such as "Speak to an Expert," so if your technical team is stuck somewhere, the technical support team for SAP Business Warehouse is there to help.

When I assumed my role in the organization, I hadn't seen any other system apart from SAP Business Warehouse, but I heard that the organization used Oracle Database for reporting.

The initial setup for SAP Business Warehouse is not as straightforward because it's not an out-of-the-box product. You need to brainstorm with other business users and find out what you need to build department-specific or user-specific configurations before you can start using SAP Business Warehouse.

The licensing cost for SAP Business Warehouse depends on your revenue. Its licensing structure is a little bit complicated. The more your revenue is, the higher the price, but SAP does have different pricing structures for various companies. For small businesses, licensing isn't based on revenue, but for big companies, it's revenue-based. There's some agreement regarding pricing for huge companies, so it's different, and SAP Business Warehouse pricing isn't fixed.

On a scale of one to ten, I'm rating the licensing cost for SAP Business Warehouse as five because it's very high. As your revenue grows, your licensing cost also increases, so you have to factor that in when calculating your cost.

What other advice do I have?

My company is an SAP Business Warehouse customer.

The initial deployment of SAP Business Warehouse requires between twenty to thirty people, but two to three people for maintenance would suffice.

Right now, everyone in the organization is using SAP Business Warehouse in one way or the other. The core or power users would be around three hundred people from finance, reinsurance, IT, etc., but mostly from finance.

I wouldn't recommend SAP Business Warehouse to startup organizations or people just starting out because the product demands many people to run and maintain it. SAP Business Warehouse would be a good product for medium-sized organizations where the data is becoming bigger and bigger. It'll be wonderful to use because if you have many systems, then SAP Business Warehouse can feed data into your systems, so it's perfect for a medium-sized organization, at least.

I'm rating SAP Business Warehouse as eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Engineer( IT) at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Features real-time data acquisition, but needs to be more developer-friendly
    • "With the technical support, the response has been pretty good from the SAP side."
    • "In the next release, my suggestion would be to have user-friendly interfaces and performance issues be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

We already were having a lot of transaction data in the SAP R3 system. We were doing the extraction, transformation, and loading process every time, ETL from SAP R3 to SAP BW and leveraging it to develop and design certain static reports. They were static in nature; they were not really very beautiful or very impactful reports, but they were used by our senior management. They are still being used by our senior management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization because we used to have a finance department. Payroll is a routine affair there, so some reports were required by the finance department for expediting their reconciliation which could be used in the closing of bank, closing of the books in the organization. We have helped them use the tools in that manner. There were also things like our generation was real-time captured in the transaction system. We tried to fetch the data from the transaction system and tried to aggregate the data in this BW system and help the management with the data at the click of a mouse.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the new version of Business Explorer Analyzer. That is a very good version because there are a lot of analytical features of Excel also. Additionally, in the SAP BW cockpit, there are features for real-time data acquisition, so RDA. That is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

One area that could be improved is the Business Explorer still needs to be developer-friendly also.

Another improvement would be to develop certain connectors to get hold of the external data. That aspect also needs to be strengthened. It needs to be reinforced because there were issues when we were integrating the SAP BW system with a source system, which is other than the SAP R3 system. The dependency that is currently there between SAP R3 and SAP BW, needs to be enhanced, augmented.

In the next release, my suggestion would be to have user-friendly interfaces and performance issues be addressed.

I been using the solution for eight to ten years.

We have 1,000 plus users in the organization.

With the technical support, the response has been pretty good from the SAP side. They do respond and they're very courteous. Technical support doesn't make you go around things. They try to find a solution and they reach out to you in time. That is very important because quick service is also very important.

The client tools of SAP BW are very straightforward. I don't have any issues with the installation part. Installation is quite friendly, quite speedy.

In the initial phases of deployment, we had an integrator, then we switched over to the consultants. The integration partner was Siemens at that time when Business Warehouse was launched, and then gradually, we took third-party consultants only when there was a need.

What other advice do I have?

My advice when considering this solution is that a proper planning strategy is a must for going on a journey with a reporting and analytics solution. From my experience, I can tell you that organizations just venture in for a reporting, analytics solution without even framing a proper strategy as to what they would like to see as the end result and how they would like to approach it. That is the only thing that is important. Otherwise, the journey is smooth with SAP products. But you need to be clear in your head, and planning really takes the majority of the time. If you have twelve months, then I think you should plan for four months, so that the last eight months are a smooth journey for you.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

SAP Business Warehouse
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mechanical Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good integration capabilities, great reporting, and provide useful real-time insights
    • "The real-time information is great."
    • "I'm not sure if our issue is related to BW or the Analysis Office. However, we're having performance issues in terms of time. It takes a long time to generate the report."

What is our primary use case?

It's a customized solution for the company's reporting needs.

What is most valuable?

The real-time information is great. Many reports take a long time, and we can save the data if we have a backlog of information to assess. The Real-time InfoCube is quite useful in terms of getting information fast when we need it.

The preparation is basically useful. We are using it via integrated BI, BWIP, Business Warehouse, and Integrated Planning. Based on that, we are able to get good information on plans.

We can integrate analysis into our planning.

It has good integration with the Analysis Office.

We're able to create different queries and get reports based on what we specifically need.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if our issue is related to BW or the Analysis Office. However, we're having performance issues in terms of time. It takes a long time to generate the report. Maybe it's the queries that have been developed in-house. I'm not sure.

People are getting frustrated as they have to spend lots of time - 10 minutes to 15 minutes - generating the report. Maybe they are getting real-time data. However, it is time-consuming in the generation of the report.

They should allow for power users. If SAP really wants to have some insights related to their software's applicability, adaptability, and some areas of let's say, future expansion or future new development, then they should think of taking the opinion of the actual end users.

They should offer up smaller components for smaller companies to make it more affordable and accessible for more companies.

I've been using the solution since 2017.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

I'd rate the stability eight out of ten.

We have lots of users using the BW-based reports. That's around 500 people. However, we don't have many actual users on the solution itself.

Technical support from SAP is being provided by our technical teams. There have been issues that our own team has dealt with directly.

We are using the SAP Business Warehouse as well as the Commercial Project Management model of SAP.

We are also using Analysis Office Integration with SAP.

I have worked with two systems related to BW. One that is an elegant JBA, which is all right. They have products that are BW related. It was also a nice product, actually.

The upside to working with this solution is that it is basically integrated with directly SAP.

I'm not involved in the initial setup.

It is very costly. I can't speak to the exact costs, however. Only larger companies can afford SAP.

The maintenance costs are very high as well.

What other advice do I have?

I am not the one who is using the different transaction codes of BW since rights are provided to a minimal amount of technical personnel. Those who are going to prepare the cubes or make some queries or something like that would use it. Based on that queries, we are getting reports.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Group BI Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Fast solution that provides the integration we need right out of the box
    • "The most useful feature is definitely the speed."
    • "The problem with BW, and the factor that differentiated it from the original BW, is that you only get limited functionality with your runtime license. So, you have to pay extra for extracting data."

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is definitely the speed.

I think it's natural that we have BW on HANA because the developer has SAP systems. At the end of the day, it provides the integration we need out of the box. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

What needs improvement?

The problem with BW, and the factor that differentiated it from the original BW, is that you only get limited functionality with your runtime license. So, you have to pay extra for extracting data.

I would like to see a more comprehensive package in the future. SAP did that, but when you go to BW on HANA, and then you want to go to BW4HANA, that's basically two migrations. BW4HANA does offer everything that we're lacking in BW on HANA, but two million migrations in five years isn't really salable to the business.

The solution is also very pricey.

I think that there should definitely be more integration. Whatever they make available in BW4, they should make it available in BW on HANA. But SAP has clearly stated that they are not doing any development on this. They are concentrating on BW4 and the DWC.

I have been working with this solution for 15 years.

We did have problems with stability, but it wasn't the software; it was the hardware. Everything is in memory, and there are a lot of memory modules, and some of them just gave up. The issue is with SAP itself. Apart from that, I think it's reliable.

This is a tough question because, especially with HANA, you have to buy physical memory modules. It's not like you just put in one additional hard drive and then everything is fine. I'm not happy with the scalability.

We have a really good technical consultant from our SAP agency here in Hungary, and I'm very happy with him. The problem is that there is only one of him, and he has 10-15 customers. For the support that is provided to us here, I would rate it 4.5 out of 5 because of the availability.

The problem with SAP is that when you create a ticket on their site, it normally takes two to three weeks to go through, which is why we go to our consultant.

The direct technical support could definitely be faster. I would rate the standard support 3 out of 5.

For setup, you definitely need tutorial planning and a second set of eyes—even a third set of eyes—when it comes to code checking and things like that.

I would rate setup 3.5 out of 5.

It's quite pricey. SAP changed its pricing policy, so they give you one engine and then you have to buy everything next to it, like MSS, the BPC licenses, and everything else. So what you see on the bill at first is not exactly what you will pay, to say the least.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

For a company that's looking to implement BW on HANA, my advice is to go for it. But at the same time, also look out for the DWC, Data Warehouse Cloud, which currently comes with BW Bridge. I think the two together can basically cover all needs when it comes to integration.

Kumar Madhur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Project Manager at HCL Technologies
    Integration is seamless and it has good alerting and monitoring features, but its initial setup could be more flexible and configuration-based
    • "What I like most about SAP Business Warehouse is that it's a seamless integration platform. A valuable feature in the tool is the monitoring alert that makes you aware of what process chain has failed. There's no manual monitoring required if you have configured an alert system, so the process chain can run in the background, and you can get alerts about it. The functionalities I find good in SAP Business Warehouse are alerting and monitoring. If you have configured the tool and have integrated it with SAP Solution Manager, then it's a good product to use."
    • "What I'd like improved in SAP Business Warehouse is its setup. It could be more flexible, and it could be a configuration-based setup."

What is our primary use case?

SAP Business Warehouse is used for reporting purposes, so all the data is integrated from different modules, for example, finance, and users utilize SAP Business Warehouse to extract reports. It is a single platform where you get all the data from the modules, and all that data can be extracted in different formats as a report.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about SAP Business Warehouse is that it's a seamless integration platform. A valuable feature in the tool is the monitoring alert that makes you aware of what process chain has failed. There's no manual monitoring required if you have configured an alert system, so the process chain can run in the background, and you can get alerts about it. The functionalities I find good in SAP Business Warehouse are alerting and monitoring. If you have configured the tool and have integrated it with SAP Solution Manager, then it's a good product to use.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like improved in SAP Business Warehouse is its setup. It could be more flexible, and it could be a configuration-based setup.

We have been working with SAP Business Warehouse for seven or eight years now.

From a support perspective, SAP Business Warehouse is quite a complex module. If an issue comes during BAU, it is quite complex to solve because as an SAP Business Warehouse consultant, you are not aware of the initial endpoint where the data is coming from. You have to play the role of the intermediate application. Support is complex, but once you have implemented the tool, you don't need more than two people to support it if there are no more changes coming.

The technical support for SAP Business Warehouse is fine.

SAP Business Warehouse is a complex product in terms of implementation and initial setup. The setup is not straightforward because you have route data mapping. I found the initial setup for SAP Business Warehouse complicated.

How long the tool implementation takes depends on the requirements, but usually, it takes me about four to five months to start running SAP Business Warehouse in normal circumstances.

The license for SAP Business Warehouse is paid yearly, and there's no extra cost in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My company provides services to customers, and SAP Business Warehouse is one of the modules it provides.

SAP Business Warehouse is being taken over by another cloud product from SAP, but it's a useful product so I would recommend it to others.

I'm rating SAP Business Warehouse seven out of ten.

Sai Kalyan RamChintapalli - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at GIC Re
    Data repository system that houses all transactional systems data in various formats
    • "The most useful feature has been he ability to feed data into multiple systems in various formats."
    • "The way the data is stored is kind of rigid in SAP BW as a product. It could be more flexible so that when we are designing a solution, we can design our own data structures and try to improve performance."

What is our primary use case?

AP BW is our main data storing platform that houses all transactional systems data. Every department has some or the other analytical service running on to our business warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature has been he ability to feed data into multiple systems in various formats. SAP BW can open its data to any kind of system over the gateway services including to portals or applications that need to consume and complete data analysis.

What needs improvement?

The way the data is stored is kind of rigid in SAP BW as a product. It could be more flexible so that when we are designing a solution, we can design our own data structures and try to improve performance.

In a future release, we would like to have the capability of running big data solutions and integration with the other databases, like Hadoop.

We have been using this solution since 2006.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The customer support is wonderful. If your technical team is stuck somewhere, they are there to help.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

This is not a straight out of the box product. It is a product that needs a lot of brainstorming along with the business users to find out what they need so that the build is department specific.

SAP's licensing structure is a little bit complicated and is linked to your revenue. This does not apply to smaller business. Overall, the pricing is not fixed and is expensive. As your revenue grows, so does your operational licensing cost. This needs to be factored in when calculating cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend it to organizations that are starting out because it demands a huge number of people to run and maintain it. I would recommend it for medium organizations with a lot of data.

Private Cloud
    Henrique Brodbeck - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner / Consultant at Brodbeck
    Easy to set up, scales well, and is reliable
    • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the integration with SAP ERP."
    • "It's a product that is at the end of life so they will not improve it anymore."

What is our primary use case?

SAP Business Warehouse is a data repository; a data warehouse for business intelligence applications. Companies can use it in a variety of ways. Our clients that work with SAP use Business Warehouse for staging, consolidation, and treatment of data between SAP and the business intelligence application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the integration with SAP ERP.

The initial setup is very easy.

The solution scales well.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

It's a product that is at the end of life so they will not improve it anymore.

It's a product that needs experience and needs knowledgeable users. You don't typically find experienced consultants, especially in Brazil. While it's not hard to maintain, it's hard to find people that could help you with it.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale well. There aren't any issues if a company would like to expand it.

Technical support is very good. We were very satisfied with their level of support when we needed it.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not too complex.

You need two experienced technicians to handle the deployment process.

I don't have any details on the ROI. It's hard to gauge exact numbers as the ROI doesn't depend only on SAP Business Warehouse; it depends on all the components, including the BI and the IP.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an independent consultant. I have no direct relationship with SAP, with the vendor.

It's an application that is being migrated to HANA. I would recommend only the HANA version right now.

I would advise those considering this or a similar solution that they need to hire an experienced consultant, or to study the technical details of the project before starting using it.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant
    SriniDhanaraj - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Data at Gauri Ltd
    Scalable, stable, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We have used SAP Business Warehouse to monitor and manage supporter donations and campaigns.

What needs improvement?

SAP Business Warehouse could improve by having more out-of-the-box use cases to cover more business types or operations.

I have been using SAP Business Warehouse for more than 10 years.

The stability of SAP Business Warehouse has been good. When we are doing charity work we do not do many transactions. The performance has been within the limits of the solution. We are not doing millions of transitions to see an impact on the stability.

SAP Business Warehouse is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 10 to 12 people using the solution in the community and once the campaign report is generated the entire business start to use the solution. We have approximately 200 people in the whole business.

The technical support is good, we have never had a problem with them.

There are two groups of people that do the implementation and support of SAP Business Warehouse. One group is for the build phase, the other group is for the support phase. There will be a handshake between these two groups, on how to go live. In the build phase, there are approximately seven to eight people are available for support, we agreed to not exceed more than four. However, this seven will be continuing for longer for deployment and new developments.

Anything on the support side, if they find any challenge, they can easily reach for a phone and receive input from the builder team to resolve them quickly.

What other advice do I have?

The two clients that have been using SAP Business Warehouse have found that it does not quite fit their use case. However, there is not any CRM or ERP that fits their needs specifically. In the charity use case, they have found challenges.

I rate SAP Business Warehouse a ten out of ten.

Download our free SAP Business Warehouse Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022