Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

New Relic OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is New Relic?

Real, actionable insights into your stack

Correlate issues across your stack. Debug and collaborate from your IDE. AI assistance at every step. All in one connected experience - not a maze of charts

Troubleshoot infrastructure before. Not after.

Find root cause faster. Correlate infrastructure health with performance and customer impact on one platform.

Dashboards, alerts, and integrations all in one place

Our Instant Observability quickstarts bundle everything you need to start monitoring like a pro right out of the box.

Quickly integrate with hundreds of tools and open standards.

Integrate easily with leading cloud providers. New Relic is committed to open standards, open instrumentation, and the open communities that support them.

New Relic was previously known as New Relic Browser, New Relic Applied Intelligence, New Relic Insights, New Relic Synthetics, New Relic Servers.

New Relic Customers

Fairfax Media, Despergar.com, MercadoLibre, Veracode, Costa Coffee, Kiva, Alkami, Mondia Media, Bringmeister.de, Simplesurance, Confused.com, ReachLocal, Lending Club, Boozt.com, Trainline

New Relic Video

New Relic Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic pricing:
"I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it."

New Relic Reviews

Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great features with simple browser implementation and provides access from anywhere
  • "It allows the restriction of privileges and control of users."
  • "The solution only supports the cloud platform and not on-premises."

What is our primary use case?

We have both the mobile and web applications which use the APIs in the back end. The New Relic Browser also monitors all our review servers and has mobile and browser compatibility. Most of our stakeholders view the data on mobile and don't need to open their laptops.

Stakeholders can install New Relic on a mobile device, whether iOS or Android and monitor the enrolment. It is more compatible with the mobile device, but we can view it on the web browser, and the same features are supported for both. In addition, stakeholders can access the system 24-7 and can monitor it from anywhere, anytime.

What is most valuable?

We can view the system in one view, showing the utilization and server activity. It lets us tell if our server utilization is high, conduct a memories review, and view it in one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The solution only supports the cloud platform and not on-premises. Therefore, they should assess supporting the licensing on-premises as well.

Stability is good, and we had no challenges while accessing the New Relic system from the browser.

Network Monitoring Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Zabbix, Datadog and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is good, and there are no limitations. Once we add our users to our account, they can access it anywhere in the browser. We have never experienced any technical problems.

We have more than 30 users that are already configured in our system. The pricing depends on the number of users we have, and we currently have only about five or ten active users out of the 30. Only our operations team typically accesses the browser.

We have four to five people who maintain and manage the day-to-day operations. They have other tasks at the company and are not dedicated solely to the maintenance of this solution. They monitor how the servers are performing and get alerts to their emails.

New Relic technical support is good whenever we raise a ticket. They reply and provide knowledge sharing for new features. For example, before the COVID-19 pandemic, they would come into our office and share knowledge with all the operational and delivery teams and others using the New Relic system. Their support and contributions are good whenever we need them.

The initial setup was straightforward and didn't require much work on the browser configuration. The user administration is also good if there is an existing New Relic account. It allows the restriction of privileges and control of users accessing complete information. In addition, it provides for a bucket of developers, stakeholders and operations and restrictions of certain access to view dashboards or features.

Browser implementation is also simple when an account and servers are added to the New Relic system. Those servers are automatically reflected on the New Relic account, and we don't need to do much. It is straightforward, and once we configure the agent, all our servers are under our account.

The pricing is a bit high, but the features are very good. It costs about 1500 per month, but historical information was something we had to buy at an additional cost. Other than that, the rest of the capabilities and features are bundled in one package.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. We have never faced any issues with this solution, and we are not worried about the technical capability. If we have a team that understands the system and the new capabilities, it can be used effectively.

Patrick Grajales - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Simple implementation, effective script configuration, and useful documentation
  • "The solution is scalable, and it is easy because all the documentation is available."
  • "There are times when you restart the engines and the servers have a unique ID for the host and you need to remove the server. It is difficult because some are on-premise and others are production hosts. Having downtime is not very good when updating. However, it is not a constant issue."

What is our primary use case?

I used New Relic Insights to create dashboards, to receive some metrics regarding performance, and alerts regarding any kind of issues with the performance. Additionally, we used it for SQL and Oracle to receive metrics related to performance, such as CPU and memory.

Depending on the type of dashboards we wait for some time and then we build alerts in New Relic Insights for the metrics to prevent issues.

What needs improvement?

I have used New Relic Insights within the last 12 months.

We have some performance issues with the servers. Sometimes the server is consuming a lot of CPU or memory, and New Relic Insights fails. They don't receive any information from the server or to the dashboard.

There were approximately 11 people using this solution in my organization.

I have not contacted support. There is a lot of documentation available and you can search it globally. You can find a lot of the content on various topics regarding your issue.

The installation was simple. We don't need to use a user interface to install it. We can use two or three commands in the PowerShell or three or two commands in the batch. One device can take 10 minutes, and 100 devices can take one hour depending on many factors.

The script takes the information for the device from the system information but if you are using an interface, such as a wizard, you need to modify files and put all the information regarding the devices and environment, such as the license and hostname. All the information should be put in there. It is very easy.

To set up the metrics, you need to build the dashboard and after that, when you add a new device, it's automatically added.

To receive all the metrics for each system regarding its application, the user in the interface for all the dashboards can type the hostname and can see all the tools in that host, it is a very powerful view. You can modify some of the parameters to fit your needs.

One person can do the implementation. However, depending on how many devices you have it could require a little more work. There are third-party scripts that are available to install New Relic Insights across all devices.

In AWS or Azure, we have a root command that can select multiple devices making the process easier.

There was zero maintenance needed for New Relic Insights, it automatically updates.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is for them to create a test environment and try different operating systems, such as Windows and Linux. Test different applications in both environments to see what fits the use case best.

I rate New Relic Insights an eight out of ten.

Network Monitoring Software
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Database Administrator at a music company with 51-200 employees
Good drill-down functionality let us see through to SQL code, and it integrates well with Slack
  • "We were able to integrate with the messaging tool, Slack, which meant that we got notifications whenever something was not quite right."
  • "There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search."

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic Synthetics to test our application, which retrieved data from the web on a daily basis. Our second use case was that it helped us to isolate any bad code.

You put the hooks in for the website as a database, and you can drill down into all of the offending code. You can even go down into the SQL. We were running an Oracle database and I was the DBA, so the SQL level was my responsibility.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was drill-downs. I was able to use it to drill-down into the SQL, get the response time, as well as the allocation based on IO, CPU, and the other resources attached to the SQL queries.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search. Certain things like this would have helped me a little bit.

We used New Relic Synthetics for at least a year, up until the end of 2019.

It's a stable solution and we never had a problem with it.

Prior to New Relic, we were using some Oracle tools such as AWR. Although they were useful, they were not really proactive. New Relic is a more proactive tool, as it were.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but it was done in-house by one person. It took at least half a week to complete it. This included setting up the service, and Slack integration. It took a nice amount of time, in total.

I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it.

What other advice do I have?

Honestly, at first, I was very hesitant about using this product. My advice is to learn to use it and learn all of the features because it has many of them, not all of which are documented, but they work wonders. For us, they really helped a lot.

Yadvendra-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simple to deploy and good support but needs a better dashboard
  • "It has a simple initial setup."
  • "The browser isn't exactly reliable."

What is most valuable?

The APM is great.

The solution can scale well.

We've found support to be helpful.

It has a simple initial setup.

What needs improvement?

The browser isn't exactly reliable.

There are dashboard issues that need to be dealt with.

There's no proper management of roles and divisions. For example, let's say if I create a dashboard and I want to give access only to a set of people and not to the other set of people, I can't do that, and that's where it has a lot of problems. If I develop a dashboard for myself, everyone else has an access to it. There's no proper access management. You just add someone to the platform, he gets access to all the dashboards. Yet there should be proper division of people who need to have access to a certain dashboard.

I've been using the solution for three years.

While the APM is stable, the browser itself isn't too reliable.

It's a scalable, reliable solution.

We have 30 to 40 people working on the solution generally.

The technical support is quite good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution is very simple to set up. I'd rate the entire implementation and deployment experience a five out of five.

I've not witnessed any ROI. That's beyond my scope.

I'm not aware of the exact licensing cost. The contracts are handled at an organizational level.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with New Relic.

I'd advise potential new users to go through the docs first. They have very good documentation. Anybody who's going to start should first start with reading the documentation in order to get a good understanding of the product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the browser rate was more reliable.

Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Zabbix, Datadog, and more!
Updated: September 2022