IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

New Relic Browser OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is New Relic Browser?
New Relic Browser provides deep visibility and actionable insights into real users' experiences on your website. With standard page load timing (sometimes referred to as real user monitoring or RUM), New Relic measures the overall time to load the entire webpage. However, New Relic Browser goes beyond RUM to also help you monitor the performance of individual sessions, AJAX requests, and JavaScript errors extending the monitoring throughout the entire life cycle of the page.
New Relic Browser Customers
Fairfax Media, Despergar.com, MercadoLibre, Veracode, Costa Coffee, Kiva, Alkami, Mondia Media, Bringmeister.de, Simplesurance, Confused.com, ReachLocal, Lending Club, Boozt.com, Trainline
New Relic Browser Video

Archived New Relic Browser Reviews (more than two years old)

Director IT at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good application performance monitoring and load-balancing capability
  • "The most valuable features are infrastructure monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM)."
  • "It would help customers if there were an on-premises version available."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Synthetics component to evaluate load balancing and monitor the average throughput of data on the system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are infrastructure monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM). We are developing alerts and methods using the New Relic Query Language (NRQL).

What needs improvement?

The licensing cost is a little high and it should be brought down. It would help customers if there were an on-premises version available.

I have been using the New Relic Browser for five or six months.
Application Performance Management (APM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Elastic, Akamai and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had no issues with respect to stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

I am using Dynatrace at the same time and I don't see much difference between the tools in terms of setup. In terms of usability, Dynatrace makes it easier to get the information that I want.

It is really easy to onboard a new application with New Relic. There are a couple of things to be installed and configured. Overall, it is simple and straightforward and I don't see much of a challenge.

We have an in-house technical team for implementation and deployment.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I definitely recommend. If you want to keep monitoring your site and find the performance of it, this is a good option to do so.  I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

Yadvendra-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Marketing Technology at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable but does not provide input regarding page performance
  • "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The solution does not provide input on how the page performs in a big group. It just says that the page performance is bad, but it does not say what can be done to improve it. If they could provide some insight or guidance on how to make improvements, that would be a big help."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to optimize web pages and to track user behavior.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspects are that it tracks java better and operates very efficiently.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not provide input on how the page performs in a big group. It just says that the page performance is bad, but it does not say what can be done to improve it. If they could provide some insight or guidance on how to make improvements, that would be a big help.

The solution could adjust the pricing to make the costs more reasonable.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 15 people using it currently. They're mostly developers and managers and we all use the product daily.

The solution offers 24/7 support and they are quite efficient.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment took about a week. It doesn't require more than three people to deploy and maintain the solution.

We had a vendor partner assist us with the implementation.

The solution is quite expensive. It costs around $5,000 a month. There aren't any additional costs above that.

There were other options that were considered, but I was not a part of the decision making process.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a cloud-based software.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Application Performance Management (APM)
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user344535 - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
It allows us to perform threshold testing to see how quickly transactions are getting out to customers, providing us with data such as response time and adequacy.

What is most valuable?

We used it more heavily before Synthetics came, but it’s kind of like Synthetics, but used domestically.

Our software does significant data queries, so we throttle performance according to region just to keep the application up. Now we can open it up completely because of New Relic tools.

Ability to quickly identify different browser usage performance issues across our application functions. Again saves time in coding to enhance the end user experience.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to fine-tune our application quicker. It's also better if we find issues in our application than if our customers find it.

It also prevents performance issues because we're able to see potential issues before they cause real problems.

What needs improvement?

I can't recommend any improvements to Browser. I really can’t find anything that I don’t like about these apps.

Deployment was very simple.

We've encountered no issues with stability.

Scaling has not been a problem.

I've not had to use technical support.

We had no problems setting it up.

Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With the client JS API, we can report data to it and query it with Insights.

Valuable Features:

It helps us organize the data from our clients and reason with it. Moreover, with the client JS API, we can report data to New Relic and query it with Insights. It is easy to use and has an understandable graph editor.

This is the real deal.

Improvements to My Organization:

Tracking and monitoring production is mandatory, however, we did it for years only for the back-end side. As the client-side applications grow bigger and get more complex more responsibility gets to the client. Because of that we must be able to understand if our clients are "healthy". The term "healthy" is not clear to what it means.

Presently we report data to New Relic Insights, and we've built some really readable and understandable graphs. We monitor with those graphs every deploy to production, and we are advising the graphs to resolve current problems with our application, like errors and problems with the load and response times.

Room for Improvement:

New Relic comes with some features out of the box, but not enough. There are some essential features that New Relic needs to implement that their competitors already support, like special treatment for AngularJS/React applications. We had to implement (with the JS API) the ability to query errors through Insights which is essential. Currently, we don't have a way to send alerts which is a real pain.

Use of Solution:

We are using it in conjunction with APM and Insights.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Raygun.io and TrackJs which are great products, but neither has the tri-factor, which is:

1. Tracking errors with integration to the server
  2. Ability to report you own data
  3. Ability to build you own custom dashboard

Other Advice:

New Relic has a good separation between the data that you report and how you show it, along with data you get out of the box. My advice is about how to show the data in a way that it will be easy to reason with it.

You can build many different graphs, really try them all, and then decide what fits best for your organization. That's what we did. The way you handle data varies between organizations and even between teams in a organization, and the ability to show the data in different ways is very helpful with that.

New Relic always gets new things done. The system is always changing and in a good way. New features are always coming into the system and we are very happy with it.

it_user344553 - PeerSpot reviewer
SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
​As a QA manager, it helps me to know exactly where to focus our attention because we can pinpoint specifically where there may be issues. I'd like alerts for custom queries.

Valuable Features

We primarily have an API so our front-end apps aren’t a huge part of our business, but Browser allows us to see geo-location to see where requests are coming from.

It also provides us with really valuable information such as which different browsers and versions our website visitors are using.

Improvements to My Organization

As a QA manager, it helps me to know exactly where to focus our attentions because we can pinpoint specifically where there may be issues -- where geographically, which browsers, which browser versions, and other very granular details.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see alerting based on custom insight queries. If I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

No issues with deployment at all.

No stability issues.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

I haven't had to use technical support.

Setup was very simple and straightforward.

it_user344805 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Software Architrect at a retailer with 51-200 employees
We’re able to deploy very quickly, not concerning ourselves with every single issue, but it’s a little sluggish going around getting down to the last dirty details of a session.

Valuable Features

We’re able to see real-time sessions come through. We talk directly to customers as they’re having issues with the site, and we can pull up their email addresses and see what issues they have. For customer support and engineering, it’s crucial.

Improvements to My Organization

We’re able to deploy very quickly, not concerning ourselves with every single issue. In production we can address every issue.

Room for Improvement

There may be issues with scalability with individual users sending events up to the cloud.

Also, it’s a little sluggish getting down to the last dirty details of a session. It’s tough to do, admittedly, but that’s what I’d wish for.

It’s very, very reliable, no issues, and most importantly we haven’t lost any data and we’ve been able to hotlink particular events. All our documentation about particular events, we can always go back and see, which is good for training.

There have been issues, but I do wonder whether we’ll have to tailor the user experience and whether we’ll reach bottlenecks with individual clients sending events up to the cloud.

I've never had to use technical support.

Very straightforward. I don’t recall how it went, that’s how easy it was.

Other Advice

Just install it. It provides so much more than alerting of errors.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Elastic, Akamai, and more!
Updated: June 2022