Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

New Relic APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic APM is #3 ranked solution in top Mobile APM tools and #4 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic APM an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. New Relic APM is most commonly compared to Datadog: New Relic APM vs Datadog. New Relic APM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is New Relic APM?

New Relic is a software analytics and application performance management solution that gives users in-depth data visibility and analytics. By going right to the source, the code, New Relic enables users to develop quicker software, build improved products,and consistently impress their customers. Data tells a story and New Relic interprets what it is telling you.

New Relic APM was previously known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

New Relic APM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic APM pricing:
  • "If I remember it correctly, the pricing was based on the core, and the monthly subscription used to cost us $1,500 or $2,000. We had pre-prod and production services. Costing was different for pre-prod and production. For pre-prod, it was 40% less than the production service cost. It was a combined package."
  • "I think the pricing is reasonable."
  • "The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution."
  • "The price of New Relic APM could be less expensive. We are using the New Relic APM pro account and it is more costly. When compared to competitors the solution's pricing should be much more realistic."
  • New Relic APM Reviews

Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides a complete picture of what's happening and has an accurate alert mechanism
    • "The alert mechanism is quite accurate when something goes wrong in your system. For example, if you have hundreds of APIs on your server, and any of the APIs is not performing well, you get an alert. When there is a drop or change in the threshold value, the beauty of New Relic is that within a fraction of seconds, all the stakeholders who are configured in the New Relic system will get an alert. That's one good thing."
    • "One thing that we noticed was that historical information was only for a limited period, which was not helpful in certain scenarios. For example, if I want to size my system for an event for New Year or Christmas season based on the historical data, I won't be able to find the historical data. Currently, the data is limited to three months. It would be helpful if they can provide historical data for a longer duration so that we can plan our system accordingly."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in another organization. I had a project where we were using New Relic for monitoring APIs and utilization of nodes or hosts. It was a standard implementation that involved getting the statistics and configuring New Relic agents on the application servers. The data was sniffed from the network based on the configuration and then it was saved. We were using the out-of-the-box capability of New Relic. We didn't do any customization on New Relic.

How has it helped my organization?

It was a good solution. My boss, who was a VP, was very happy with the system, and he didn't want to change the system because it was working well. Whenever anything went wrong, we got clear information about that on the fly. This information helped the operations team in sorting things faster. It gave clear information and a complete picture of what was happening in our system, which helped the operations team in performing the required actions.

What is most valuable?

There is a dashboard where you can view API-wise performance. When you click specific APIs, you can get detailed statistics for the same.

New Relic APM
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It was used for more than four years.

Its stability is quite good. We don't see any issues with the stability.

We never had any challenges because our servers were scaled based on the load. When our load increased, we used to keep adding our servers to New Relic. We didn't see any challenges. It just required the agent configuration on the server. The only thing is that you have to put in more money when you are adding servers.

It was straightforward. We didn't see any complexity because the setup of New Relic on the client side or the application side is more of the agent configuration.

Once your agents are configured in the pre-prod or production environment, the feed used to be taken automatically. The only thing is you have to open the proxy to the New Relic system. If that is done, the rest is taken care of automatically. I don't see any challenge.

For the setup, we had one person from the customer IT who coordinated with the network team and got the proxy opened, and then tested connectivity between the on-premise site and New Relic data center.

Later on, we had one person for configuration because sometimes, we also did data masking when we wanted to mask certain data. We didn't want that feed to go to the New Relic data center. We didn't want that data to be exposed. To query the system, there were queries available in the New Relic documentation, and we used to follow that. We also had a customized dashboard. We could prepare our own dashboard for our critical use cases such as payments.

I would rate it a four out of five in terms of ROI.

We had pre-prod and production services. Costing was different for pre-prod and production. For pre-prod, it was 40% less than the production service cost. It was a combined package.

With our licensing, we could only query three months of data from the New Relic system. When we wanted to have the historical information, they said that it is going to be an additional licensing at an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

You have to see the costs. If you want to scale to a larger system or you want to implement New Relic for the entire enterprise, the cost is going to be high because you have to run hundreds of servers. If you take the frontend applications, mobile applications, and required servers, there will be a huge load and traffic. Dynatrace is one of the alternatives. Our last customer wanted to scale, and they found Dynatrace to be better than New Relic in terms of features and price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. It is one of the best products. The customer used it for more than four years before moving to Dynatrace. We were happy with it. The alert mechanism and other features were quite good.

Devendra Tiwari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Architect at Shadowfax
    Useful service map feature and reasonably priced but the visibility can be improved
    • "The simplicity of the dashboard is very good."
    • "It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level."

What is most valuable?

The service map feature is very useful.

The simplicity of the dashboard is very good. It shows the throughput latency and all of the transactions.

What needs improvement?

It offers transactions, but it does not offer an endpoint-level insight at the URL level. When we get a request, we want to know what the life cycle of that service is, and where the cycle is. This is what I am trying to locate with most of the solutions now.

I am trying to research how to find a cycle per endpoint and not at the service level.

It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level. It is important for us to get new insights to create better hygiene around the business use cases.

At the endpoint level, the visibility is not that great, and metrics are not available. It gives you a full view of the entire function's execution and not from the context of the URL altogether.

Also the response time, the latency contribution, and the throughput contribution are areas that need improvement. You can get the throughput contribution from New Relic, but not the latency contributions. You cannot get it at all.

These are the major limitations. When working with AppDynamics, I did not find any limitations, but the same can not be said with New Relic.

The way that it classifies the actual services is a bit ambiguous. It's not perfect. For example, I see there are certain solutions that are listed as extra services, as a dependency, and still I find that among load contribution, it tries to show that those services separately, which is confusing.

With the transactions, when it tries to show a type of "bufferHandler" from inside, it doesn't show what the nature of the request is. Especially with Microservices, it doesn't show what kind of method is present, which makes finding data very difficult. Instead, you need to go to the raw data. I think that defeats the purpose of using this tool.

The transactions do not show the time consumed by the request, from the metrics execution perspective. It was suggested that I did not know how to read it but I have done all that I could. It is very difficult to relate to and requires a lot of experience and time to read through, which it should not.

It should not be difficult to find the latency and throughput for the entire system when requested. It should not be difficult to develop the data that relates to the various types of execution.

It should have complete exposure around the endpoints.

The services-to-service dependency is fine but most of the startups have only one or two services that are all cycled. It does not provide you with a lot of help when you are showing that the two services are dependent.

What all of the dependent endpoints are and how are the cycles being formed is information that should be available in most tools, but not with New Relic and some other tools.

I have been using New Relic APM for one year, but in-depth in the last two months.

We are not using the latest version but within the year.

Almost all of the developers are using this solution in our organization. We have approximately 60 users.

It is used on a day-to-day basis.

I have not used technical support.

Previously, almost four years ago, I used AppDynamics. I think that it is a very good tool. I would rate AppDymanmics an eight out of ten.

We changed to another solution because of the cost. All of the developers loved the AppDynamics dashboard. It was very clear.

I was not a part of the team for the setup but my impression is that the documentation could have been better. It didn't make much sense.

For beginners using New Relic, the setup can be difficult and should be simplified.

We have a DevOps team to maintain this solution, but it doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

I think the pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

There is a good bare minimum of required features for this tool, but if they are out to the in-depth analysis then finding a cross-dimensional relationship is not straightforward. It is difficult to implement.

If you are concerned about how your services behave, then New Relic shouldn't be your first choice. However, if you are considering New Relic APM, is a very affordable choice.

I would rate New Relic APM a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    New Relic APM
    September 2022
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    David Pratt - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior DevOps Engineer Individual Contributor at EML Payments Ltd
    Reasonably priced, straightforward to set up, and performs as expected
    • "It does everything we wanted it to do."
    • "How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM to monitor our public cloud-hosted application and infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

Not so far. Although, we haven't really got a very mature system of defining our application processes from end-to-end and certainly not our client-centric impact.

I'm reasonably satisfied. We haven't run the rule over it too much because it hasn't been a massive investment.

It has been quite valuable to demonstrate how we can change our views for our services due to their service. It has proved value so far.

What is most valuable?

We don't have any problems with this solution.

The configuration isn't terrible when compared with other products.

It does everything we wanted it to do. We haven't been too critical in our thinking about where it can improve.

What needs improvement?

There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. With the insight, I think it will be found lacking for its report aggregation capabilities. How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited.

The API integrations that they have for us to automate our configuration was fine, but I think for some of these tools, it was over-engineering for us to try and automate any of that. So, we just use the user interfaces.

I have been using New Relic APM for approximately two months.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not encountered any issues. We're not plugging too much traffic into it. We're not reporting on it heavily. It's not feeding into our service management processes heavily. So we haven't seen anything.

We have not yet explored the scalability, it's too early for us.

There are approximately 15 of us using it altogether. We are called infrastructure engineers, who are third line infrastructure support and architecture people.

Some of the lead developers have access, but there are 15 of us and we are all pretty similar.

We have not contacted technical support.

We have two custom in-house processes that do our application data flow monitoring. We have manually and in a custom nature, built out a performance monitoring platform in Splunk using our knowledge of the system over the years.

I have used App Dynamics in the past with another company. There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. It is similar to AppDynamics and Dynatrace.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I don't think any of these tools are tools that anyone can pick up and install.

I wouldn't say it was any more difficult to configure than some of the other solutions. It is definitely not more difficult to configure than AppDynamics.

The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution. It's reasonably priced. It's cheaper than the likes of AppDynamics and Dynatrace, based on how our subscription is.

We looked at Datadog initially and found the initial setup to be far more complex than what we found in New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

Our proof of concept has been successful.

Getting an order in and reporting is an industry in itself, don't think it can solve the problems it's not trying to solve. It is an application performance monitoring tool. Don't try and make it anything else.

The big problem with Splunk for us is that it can do everything. The thing that's nice about New Relic is it doesn't try and do everything, it does what it does. So far, it does it to satisfaction, but don't try and fill multiple holes in your toolchain with it. It's good at what it does.

We had some pretty informed opinions on what it was going to do. We knew where it wanted us to get, and so far it has cost the amount we wanted it to cost and done everything that we wanted it to do.

I would rate New Relic APM a ten out of ten.

Benjamin Moukoko-Makiadi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Manager Cloud at Pricer
    User-friendly with good insights and an overall good product
    • "Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly."
    • "It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, I'm helping a customer of mine to set up monitoring items. What I'm doing is comparing solutions in order to create a document that I can give them so that they can pick one final solution.

What is most valuable?

The client is looking for infrastructure and for an application.

So far, we like the insights.

Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly.

Overall, it's a good product, from what we have evaluated.

Currently, we're more in the process of gathering materials. The solution is quite new for us.

What needs improvement?

I haven't yet had too much of a chance to read up on the product or to compare it to other solutions to see if there are items that are standard elsewhere but lacking in this product. I need more time with the solution to really talk about any shortcomings if they exist at all.

It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards. There should be out-of-the-box options that you can have. It would be nice to have something already done, so that you don't need to reinvent the wheel again, to create your own dashboard.

The pricing might be high if you are a company that goes through a lot of data.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so.

We're working on figuring out the pricing.

It looks like it's a little bit about how much data you ingest. Therefore, if you have a big environment, then it might not be good to ingest that month, as that much data will cost you a lot.

On the other hand, Dynatrace has a good set of features where you can trace down to the application. However, they are more expensive they don't have some dashboards and cost is an issue for the client.

I'm also looking at Dynatrace and Datadog.

The thing is all of these three solutions are doing the same thing. It depends. What we're currently comparing is pricing and if they work for the company on a budget level. We want to see what offers the most for the best rate. We're still trying to figure that out.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a consultant. I'm not a partner or a user of the solution.

I'm not sure if I have any specific advice to a company considering this solution as we are still in the early days of considering of this solution is the right fit. However, it's important to go through the process and examine a solution according to your company's unique needs. What works for our client might not work for everyone and vice versa. There needs to be a bit of research.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a good product. It just depends on what you need as a company.

ShabbirAnower - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT operation manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Simple setup, easy application monitoring, but error debugging could improve
    • "There are many valuable features in New Relic APM. We developed some software applications and we are able to monitor the errors very easily. Their log security retention is very good."
    • "New Relic APM could improve error debugging and the correlation with the logs. We are receiving some alerts or alarms but we need to correlate with the error log, but it is difficult if it is more than seven months retention period, it is hard to trace. We need this especially for getting historical information."

What is our primary use case?

New Relic APM is an application monitoring tool.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features in New Relic APM. We developed some software applications and we are able to monitor the errors very easily. Their log security retention is very good.

What needs improvement?

New Relic APM could improve error debugging and the correlation with the logs. We are receiving some alerts or alarms but we need to correlate with the error log, but it is difficult if it is more than seven months retention period, it is hard to trace. We need this especially for getting historical information.

Within short periods of monitoring, we do not have a problem it is only when it crosses the retention period that we are not able to correlate the errors with the log.

I have been using New Relic APM for approximately two years.

New Relic APM is stable. In the last two years, we have not faced any stability issues. If the vendor is having a maintenance issue they will notify us in advance.

I rate the stability of New Relic APM a six out of ten.

They are a costly solution and the stability should be better for the price.

The scalability of New Relic APM is good.

There are two types of users, one is the basic user which is free and has limitations. We have approximately 40 basic users. The second type of user is pro which does not have the limitations of the basic user. We have 10 pro users.

The support from New Relic APM is good. We create a ticket, and immediately after we have the support.

I rate the support from New Relic APM a five out of five.

We were using another solution previously. New Relic APM was picked by the organization because they preferred it, and this is why we switched. New Relic APM is easier to configure.

The initial setup of New Relic APM is simple.

The price of New Relic APM could be less expensive. We are using the New Relic APM pro account and it is more costly. When compared to competitors the solution's pricing should be much more realistic.

I rate the price of New Relic APM a one out of five.

We evaluated other solutions, such as Dynatrace and Datadog. When comparing New Relic APM to other monitoring tools, it's not complex and is similar in features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate New Relic APM a six out of ten.

Fernando Furtado - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Solution Architect at FCamara
    Stable with a good VPN and very easy to set up
    • "The VPN is one of the solution's most valuable features for us."
    • "The older view is much better than the new view that they have. We'd like to go back to that previous version. The user interface just isn't as nice as it used to be."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for watching user behavior, among other use cases.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is one of the solution's most valuable features for us.

We like that we have the ability to view users and speculate.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not seem to be lacking any features. I can't say that I recommend any specific features for the next release.

I've been using the solution for about 2 months, more or less. It hasn't been too long just yet.

The stability of the solution has been good for us so far. We don't have any problems with it. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches.

We've found the scaling to be good. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so without any problems.

Currently, we have four or five people using the solution. Our company, however, works for my customers, and therefore we have a lot of ongoing projects.

Technical support has been good so far. That said, we haven't really had any technical issues either. We're satisfied with the level of service we've received so far.

We didn't find the initial setup complex. The implementation was straightforward and simple.

The deployment was pretty quick as well. It might have taken us one to two hours to get everything done.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We're end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've had a good experience with it so far.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a ten. It's pretty much perfect for our purposes.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    AnandPatel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Specialist at LTI - Larsen & Toubro Infotech
    Reliable with good monitoring and has the potential to expand
    • "The monitoring so far has been good and we are happy with it."
    • "I haven't come across any features that are lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We have our current parameters and our current dashboards. Our main purpose is to continue to migrate and get the same metrics in New Relic. We will prepare another secondary dashboard between the parameters. And we will do a lot of monitoring on it as it is mainly used for monitoring purposes.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring so far has been good and we are happy with it.

What needs improvement?

I haven't come across any features that are lacking.

I've only used the solution for two or three months.

It's very stable. We have currently around 150 GB of data that we are going to analyze. Almost each and every day around 75 to 80 GB is analyzed. We haven't had issues with the volume or with bugs or glitches.

The solution scales well.

London mostly handles any troubleshooting. I don't have to worry about reaching out to technical support. we do have the documentation we can reference, however, if we do need assistance.

I've used Stackdriver in the past. However, it doesn't work well, with, for example, virtual machines.

The initial setup was done by our London team. I wasn't involved in the process and don't have any real details about how it went.

I'm not sure if any ongoing maintenance is needed.

While it's my understanding that our in-house London team handled the implementation, I can't say if they needed help or recruited consultants or integrators to assist in the process.

While we do pay for the solution on a monthly basis, I can't speak to the exact cost of the product. There might also be some additional costs on top of the licensing, however, I can't say with certainty.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend companies try it out and see if they like it.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. We've been happy with it so far.

Ilkka Myllylä - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at RP reaaliprosessi
    Easy to use, gets the job done, and provides good breakdown and in-depth details
    • "The breakdown of the response time of different components and getting in-depth details of the slow component are the most valuable features. It is easy to use, and it gets the job done."
    • "There has been some problem with the agent, and it is just not working well. It is not able to record information with the application server. They have been able to fix the issue, but it took quite a long time. This is the main issue in the APM products and also in New Relic. The mobile application monitoring has been pretty difficult to set up and also quite expensive. It should be a little bit easier and cheaper. Because it is pretty difficult and expensive, many customers don't take it."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically testing three products before going live with the new release of the software. We are also using it to monitor our production.

How has it helped my organization?

You can immediately see if there is some slowness. It can also alert you, and you can fix the problem pretty soon. In pre-production, you can ensure that everything is okay, and you don't put the worst performance to production. The performance should at least be at the same level as before.

What is most valuable?

The breakdown of the response time of different components and getting in-depth details of the slow component are the most valuable features.

It is easy to use, and it gets the job done.

What needs improvement?

There has been some problem with the agent, and it is just not working well. It is not able to record information with the application server. They have been able to fix the issue, but it took quite a long time. This is the main issue in the APM products and also in New Relic.

The mobile application monitoring has been pretty difficult to set up and also quite expensive. It should be a little bit easier and cheaper. Because it is pretty difficult and expensive, many customers don't take it.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Their technical support is pretty good. Sometimes, they took longer than I hoped. There were times when they took a couple of days, but I got help, and it is working.

What other advice do I have?

They seem to have a new pricing model, and I would advise others to look out and ask them before buying.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you don't always guess right. Without APM, you can guess where the problem is, but with APM, you can actually see where it is, which is nice to know.

I would rate New Relic APM a nine out of ten. It is a good product. There might be another product that is better than this, but this is the product that I use and recommend first.

Download our free New Relic APM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022