IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetApp StorageGRID OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp StorageGRID is #7 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give NetApp StorageGRID an average rating of 10 out of 10. NetApp StorageGRID is most commonly compared to Dell ECS: NetApp StorageGRID vs Dell ECS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is NetApp StorageGRID?

Store and manage unstructured data at scale using NetApp StorageGRID for secure, durable object storage. Place content in the right location, at the right time, and on the right storage tier, optimizing workflows and reducing overall costs for globally distributed rich media.

NetApp StorageGRID was previously known as Storage GRID.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

NetApp StorageGRID Customers

ASE, DARZ GmbH

NetApp StorageGRID Video

Archived NetApp StorageGRID Reviews (more than two years old)

Jamil Alatrash - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The implementation went smoothly. It is a 'setup and forget' type of appliance.
  • "The ability to get to the StorageGRID from anywhere on my network. The solution is remote. You don't have to be at a physical location."
  • "The implementation with NetApp went smoothly. It is a 'setup and forget' type of appliance."
  • "It has enabled us to save money on storage costs. We removed our tape library."
  • "It has improved our operational efficiency through time consumption and logistics by 40 to 50 percent. Everything that had to do with our legacy tape solution has been improved and is now more efficient."
  • "There was a small amount of confusion when working with StorageGRID and Active Directory for access. We had to do things three to four times resulting in our engineer troubleshooting a couple of things. The location of the menu, along with what is inside the menu: configurations, settings, etc., is not straightforward to users. Most users are Windows-based. So, when make logical changes to the menu which are not similar to Windows, users and administrators get confused."
  • "The redundancy and reliability are great, but I also see room for improvement there. I would like to see more efficiency in the storage and dedupe/compression solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use StorageGRID at our DR site for backup solutions. We have it as an S3 bucket where we have an AltaVault in place which communications with our StorageGRID, replicates our backup data, and whatever we place on our AltaVault sends it over to our StorageGRID. We also have another AltaVault virtual appliance in DR, which helps us do the backup in case of a disaster.

We use the solution purely for backup.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps us automate our storage infrastructure. We now have backups where everything is automated from A to Z. All we have to do is monitor it and make sure the jobs do not fail. If the jobs are failing, we resolve the issue. StorageGRID is our backup data store.

What is most valuable?

The S3 bucket.

Backup and recovery as fast as you can using AltaVault.

Deduplication and compression: You save up to 70 to 80 percent of your data size, if not more. This is for nonencrypted data.

You can save up on your own storage using StorageGRID.

What needs improvement?

The GUI should work a bit better. ONTAP is great. They should take the lead of ONTAP and apply that to StorageGRID.

Less than one year.

It is stable. It is a hardware appliance which comes with redundancies. Hardware can always fail at any given time. However, we have known all the NetApp solutions to be "on".

It is not a single unit, so you always have to have redundancy in place. The reaction time for NetApp support to bring the appliance back online if one of them goes down is pretty high, so we are comfortable.

We have not experienced any failures yet.

Scalability is known throughout NetApp appliances. You can add more nodes to the cluster, and it is seamless and nondisruptive. As long as you have the first two nodes, you are in HA. Then, everything else you add to it is seamless and nondisruptive.

I am thrilled with the support.

We implemented the solution three to four months ago, so we have not yet experience the toughest support cases.

We used to use tapes as backups. We have heaps of tapes lying around. Now, we don't need to use tapes. We have our own backup solution and it integrates well with the tool that we use. It is compatible with most of the tools out there, especially the leading tools for backup. StorageGRID is easier to use and has saved us a lot of time, storage place, logistics, moving tapes around and placing them in a third location, shipping tapes to our DR site, etc. It creates our own private cloud.

We also had a local storage solution, which we still have, as a backup (just in case).

We moved to this solution because we wanted a hybrid cloud solution where we owned our data, not having to request it from third-parties.

The initial setup was as straightforward as it gets. It took us two days to do the racking and stacking, the physical parts. Configuring and running it is plug and play. It came out-of-the-box. All we had to do was set up the network and access configurations along with our S3 bucket, then we were good to go.

We used a reseller, but NetApp implemented the technology for us. The reseller just connected us to NetApp, and we bought the appliances. The total implementation A to Z was with a NetApp engineer.

Our experience with the reseller was great.

It has enabled us to save money on storage costs. We removed our tape library.

The capabilities of the appliance will save us a lot more in the long run.

We are planning to go to the cloud. Due to the expenses of the cloud, especially when you are downloading your data off the cloud from AWS or Microsoft Azure, that is where they get you. Creating your own data stores, backups, or storage grids, helps eliminate all these costs of downloading all the data back after you upload to the cloud.

Buying the solution is expensive, but it saves you money down the line when you factor in the logistics of not having to buy tapes.

We are a NetApp shop. We have FlexPod in place. We are just comfortable dealing with NetApp.

The consideration of other vendors was not in the picture at the time of evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you explore all solutions and use cases for StorageGRID. If you are using it for backup, ensure you understand both the backup and the restore site. At the time of implementation, we used AltaVault. However, we never talked about restoring the data on the DR site. Apparently, if you want to restore data, you need to open the S3 bucket but you also have to use the same AltaVault appliance to restore the data.

Storage Architect at TELUS Corporation
  • "It has awesome scalability. We consume it with storage appliance nodes, then we just plug and play as we need more."
  • "I would like to see them integrate more with the monitoring platforms. It is a bit difficult to get automated monitoring of the system."
  • "The processes around installation and upgrade need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have set up an Internet-facing S3 service. We use and sell that to customers in that format.

We also use it internally, though not that much. I set up the networking for the internal use case.

It is mostly used for backup and archival workloads at this point.

How has it helped my organization?

We can provide something that customers can consume. Also, the licensing that the S3 service provides them from a FabricPool standpoint is more attractive than the licensing from AWS or Azure.

It helps us automate our storage infrastructure by allowing us to consume storage appliances as we need them.

What is most valuable?

Gives us that object storage presence in the Canadian marketplace. We are the only service provider providing it today, outside of the big players: AWS and Azure.

It has excellent usability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them integrate more with the monitoring platforms. It is a bit difficult to get automated monitoring of the system.

The processes around installation and upgrade need improvement.

The stability is good.

It has awesome scalability. We consume it with storage appliance nodes, then we just plug and play as we need more.

The technical support is good. It is easy to escalate issues. I haven't taken advantage of it too many times though.

We were using something else (EMC Atmos), but it got antiquated and we decided to switch. There were a number of factors for switching:

• The experience wasn't that good on the platform.
  • We had some bad vibes with it.
  • We saw this as an opportunity to integrate a bit more with some of our other NetApp systems.
  • The market was going in a different direction for services.

We had to get out there with a product as well.

It was pretty complex at the time to initially set up. It was an older version when we initially put it in place, so there were some hiccups. However, this last go around with our test system, the install was smoother and easier to get up and running.

We had NetApp Professional Services help us out with the initial deployment. They were good.

We have seen ROI.

We save money on storage costs from this solution since it allows us to have a source of revenue from customers consuming the service.

While we did evaluate other vendors, our partnership with NetApp swayed us towards them.

What other advice do I have?

Look at StorageGRID product because it hits that sweet spot of what you are trying to do as a service provider from an S3 perspective.

There are a couple of opportunities that we're looking at for IoT analytics or machine learning in the near future.

File and Object Storage
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: April 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Systems Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
It helps automate our storage infrastructure, but it does have its quirks

What is our primary use case?

For the amount of data storage that our engineers use, I need a big data storage grid.

We use IoT, but I am unable to provide examples because of our classified environment.

Our NetApp system administrators say that it runs well. It does have its quirks here and there, but it is an older NetApp system.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps automate our storage infrastructure and improve our operational efficiency.

What is most valuable?

With the amount of data storage that we use, it is helpful.

What needs improvement?

We want to move towards Azure in the cloud. Right now, the system is all physical.

It is stable.

Right now, we have an older StorageGRID. I like that we can grow it.

We are looking to go to Microsoft Azure on the cloud because we want to grow and expand the amount of storage data that we have. We have a good amount, but with the number of projects that we have going on, we could use more.

The technical support is good.

We had to go with something bigger because of the amount of projects that we had going on and the increase in storage data.

The initial setup was straightforward.

While we have been able to save money on storage costs, it could be better.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely a great investment for larger companies.

Enterprise Storage Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The speed of the disks removed the bottleneck from our storage
  • "The speed of the disks removed the bottleneck from our storage."
  • "The only real issue that we have run into is, when we are cloning, we cannot do a thin provision clone, it has to be a full clone."

What is our primary use case?

Our only use case at this point is for security video for our campers' security cameras. We used to have it on individual servers, then we consolidated that into E-Series storage arrays to increase the performance of the disks behind the video.

Before, it was a bottleneck to have our storage on the local disks. Now, there is no bottleneck at all with this work. It's fantastic.

At the moment, we only do video. We may expand out the solution in the future.

How has it helped my organization?

Well, we are not going to go to jail now because we are actually in compliance with the law. So, that's good.

With the speed of it, we experience no bottlenecks and the performance is there, so we no longer have to worry about keeping up with jittery videos.

It has improved our operational efficiency because we do not having to keep track of 20 servers. Instead, we have to keep track of two arrays.

What is most valuable?

The speed of the disks is the most valuable features. Before our storage was a bottleneck, and now, it is no longer a bottleneck. We are able to have all of the storage that we need for our security videos.

What needs improvement?

The only real issue that we have run into is, when we are cloning, we cannot do a thin provision clone, it has to be a full clone. If we could have this added in the future, it would save us a little bit of space. Other than that, everything has been as advertised.

Less than one year.

The stability is fantasic. We have had no issues at all since we put the solution in place. We receive little messages (emails) every once in a while, saying, "A path is down." However, it has multiple paths, so there has been no issues with the stability.

It's extremely scalable. This was one of the reasons we chose it. Eventually, we will have to get up to two petabytes on the solution. We started off with one, and we will keep on growing it as more cameras come online.

We haven't had to call the technical support for anything. That is a good thing.

The previous solution didn't have enough storage space to keep 30 days. Therefore, we had no choice but to go with a different solution.

There was new legislation put in place in North Carolina where we have to keep a certain amount of days of security videos. In the past, it was just a recommendation that we kept 30 days. Then, they legislated it, and it has to be 30 days. We were only keeping about ten days, so we had to get a much larger storage infrastructure with more speed on it to be able to keep up with all videos.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was three next and a finish; next, next, next, and finish, that was it.

We used a reseller for the deployment. The experience was good. They knew exactly what they were talking about. They came in and implemented the solution for us, which was turnkey.

It probably is saving us 50 percent of what we would have had to pay to replace the video servers. Those were all going out of warranty. We looked at how much would it cost to do it with what we were doing currently versus how much would it cost us to consolidate, and it was about a 50 percent savings.

We looked at some solutions from Dell EMC besides NetApp. We chose NetApp because of price and performance.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution for video storage because of all the benefits it has given us. It gives us all the storage that we need while the performance is there. We have no bottlenecks and the price is attractive.

I went to a session here where we could start doing automation with Perl scripting. It just hasn't been implemented yet. Now that we know that it is available, we might start doing that.