IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pure Storage FlashBlade OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pure Storage FlashBlade is #3 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools and #10 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. PeerSpot users give Pure Storage FlashBlade an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Pure Storage FlashBlade is most commonly compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Pure Storage FlashBlade vs Pure Storage FlashArray. Pure Storage FlashBlade is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Pure Storage FlashBlade Buyer's Guide

Download the Pure Storage FlashBlade Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Pure Storage FlashBlade?

FlashBlade is the industry’s most advanced scale-out storage for unstructured data, powered by a modern, massively parallel architecture to consolidate complex data silos (like backup appliances and data lakes) and accelerate tomorrow’s discoveries and insights.

Pure Storage FlashBlade Customers

ServiceNow, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport, Dominos, Man AHL

Pure Storage FlashBlade Video

Pure Storage FlashBlade Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pure Storage FlashBlade pricing:
  • "The price is a little high."
  • "In my opinion, we have paid the right price for the product. I don't think that it is too much or too little."
  • "The price of this solution could be made more affordable."
  • Pure Storage FlashBlade Reviews

Chief Executive Officer / CTO at IT VIP, LLC
    Immutable snapshots, great performance, and simple and easy replication
    • "The snapshots, replication, and the ability to have immutable blades are the most valuable features. You're putting data snapshots out in those blades, and they cannot be touched. Its performance is great."
    • "It usually comes down to just what you hit and the value you're getting when you spend the money and license the products. I would always go, "If you want to make things better, lower your price and make your licensing simpler." There's always an opportunity around that."

What is our primary use case?

I last worked with it last year. There was a hospital that was using it for ransomware remediation. It was all about immutable. I was consulting and helping a little bit with that.

It was all on-prem. They had multiple of them. We did a lot of replication, making sure the replication was right and the snapshots were good and immutable as per design.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole idea was to be able to recover the hospital in the event they got hit with ransomware and taken over. The whole idea of Pure worked very well because you could take a snapshot multiple times a day. If somebody comes in and basically grabs your data from you, you can delete that and put back the one before they got here. That's what I loved about the whole opportunity.

What is most valuable?

The snapshots, replication, and the ability to have immutable blades are the most valuable features. You're putting data snapshots out in those blades, and they cannot be touched. Its performance is great.

Pure Storage FlashBlade
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Pure Storage FlashBlade. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

My storage background is more EMC-based. Way back, I worked with Hitachi. I have worked a little bit with Pure Storage more recently. I can't go and profess to be an expert of Pure.

I found it to be cool and great. I really did. The replication was simple and easy. I would recommend Pure all over the place.

My understanding is that it's pretty straightforward. I like to reference these things as LEGOs and building blocks. Pure seems to go this way. Basically, if you want to add storage, you're dropping in a tray. The tray is coming with the storage and some intelligence. You're building up as you go, and I love that.

I haven't called them.

I've been seeing a lot more, but previously, I was all about EMC. EMC backed my VMware environment, which was extensive and had built-in disaster recovery. Today, if someone asks what I would go for and buy, I'd say that I'm just going to go with Pure.

I wasn't involved in the initial setups, but I have been involved in some reviews of that. It is very straightforward and simple. I was a storage admin for years with EMC, Hitachi, HP, and Sun. Things have evolved so much that it's simple. It's really good.

I don't know what they spent, but from a practical standpoint and for the engagement that I was involved in, the return on investment would be very good. That's because you would be able to go and set up your environment and architect it in such a way that ransomware becomes nothing. It helps in that situation. When somebody attacks you, they want to get your storage or your data. With the capabilities of Pure and some other vendors, you can go and architect in such a way that the impact of a ransomware attack or breach is minimized. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

I didn't have the responsibility to do that in the past. I always just stuck with EMC, which always was easy and simple for me, but things evolved. Like the whole analogy to LEGOs, I move towards that. When you're building storage, you have to worry about performance. Flash drives and all the rest of the stuff are going to give me a certain amount of performance, but as I add more storage, my performance has to go and cover more of an ecosystem. There is more data on there. When you have these LEGO ideas where compute and storage come together as a shelf, you're actually increasing everything at once, which is brilliant. On top of that, they've got all really nice security features, immutable storage, and things like that.

What other advice do I have?

I love this solution. I would actually buy it. As a matter of fact, I recommended that somebody buy it just the other day. I'm really sorry that I didn't buy more Pure when I had the buying in my responsibilities. I should've bought more. I didn't see it years ago the way I saw it last year.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Business Development Manager of Storage Systems at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Performs well with very little maintenance and an easy initial setup
    • "The product is scalable and easy to expand."
    • "I want efficiency. FlashBlade doesn't have efficiency now."

What is our primary use case?

We have a case in one of the biggest banks in Kazakhstan, and they use it for some very fast detecting tasks. It's used for big data analytics.

What is most valuable?

FlashBlade is absolutely stable. As in all products from Pure Storage, they offer some best quality and are stable. They are quite good in terms of the hardware, in the software.

We don't face any trouble during the installation process or handling maintenance.

Based on the user experience, we expect that they will not have any issues in the future, we hope.

The product is scalable and easy to expand.

If you need high throughput the FlashBlade is the best solution for you. It is the only one on the market that can provide 15GB per second from one node. And if you have another node, it will be 30GB per second. So the throughput performance is excellent for FlashBlade. It's not about the capacity, not about the features - it's about the throughput differences.

What needs improvement?

I want efficiency. FlashBlade doesn't have efficiency now. They have compression. They also don't have the duplication. They have only compression and it's not very good.

We had a POC for about six months, and we have sold it for two months.

The stability is very good. It's reliable and the performance is good. The hardware has been great.

It is for sure scalable. If a company needs to expand dit, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We currently have three clients on the solution. Two are in a POC and one is commercially live.

We asked support for some assistance in the past - especially the very first time we used it. The product was new for us. We asked service support for assistance and I can say they're quite good. They were very quick to respond and they have great competence in the product. They provide instructions to the engineer and I see sometimes they connect remotely if it's necessary. I can't say that anything bad about it. They are quite good, actually.

The installation process is very simple and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex.

The implementation itself only took one to two days or so.

The maintenance process isn't hard at all. It's very easy.

You only need one engineer to handle deployment and maintenance.

They don't have a license at all. They have some software products like Portworx, and they sell the license for those. however, the FlashBlade and X FlashArray don't have a license at all. It's included in the system; you don't need to buy it separately.

What other advice do I have?

We use cloud and on-premises deployments.

I would recommend the product to others, however, it depends on the task. The task is very important, especially with FlashBlade, as, for some applications, it's not ideal. Some people think you should be very careful and size it first, and talk with the vendor first to understand the task, the application you going to deploy on the FlashBlade. If it matches and you get support and recommendations from the vendor you definitely should use it. I can honestly say, they are quite honest in this case. Pure Storage, if they see that your task is not good for FlashBlade, they will say it to you, "Sorry, but your task is different and you have to think about some other products. Maybe X, maybe Y." So are they not going to push you to buy this hardware that doesn't suit your purposes.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Pure Storage FlashBlade
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Architecte technique at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable with good technical support and easy to manage
    • "The initial setup is pretty quick."
    • "Compared to, for example, Hitachi NAS, the solution is not mature at all. It's just in its infancy as far as technology goes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a platform of NAS for users that use NFS devices.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

Overall, the product has great performance.

The initial setup is pretty quick.

We've found the pricing to be okay.

Technical support has been great so far.

The stability of the solution is reliable.

What needs improvement?

That means there are some features that just arent yet available on the product. When we ask for customization or certain features, we'll get a response saying "it's not available yet" or "that's in the pipeline". We have a complicated enterprise, therefore we need more features, perhaps, than the average user, and in this sense this product is limited.

We're on a dark site. We don't have internet access. This isn't great for FlashBlade, which needs to be connected to the internet. It's a website, so it needs to be connected in order to provide reports. Therefore, reporting isn't available to us.

We'd love a better dashboard that offers more accurate metrics. We'd like more details about what is happening on the system, so we can notify the clients as necessary.

I've only been using the solution for three months. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have any issues with it crashing to freezing. It's reliable as far as I can tell.

We've only been using the solution for three months. We haven't really tested scalability. It's my understanding that it is scalable however, I don't have any first-hand experience in the matter.

We've contacted technical support in the past. So far, we've been quite satisfied with their level of service. They've been very good to us.

We used to use Hitachi NAS, which is a much more robust product. It's been on the market for a while, so it definitely has a few more features than this solution.

I would describe the process as pretty straightforward. It's not too complex.

It only takes a day to set everything up and deploy it.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable. It's not too expensive. We've found it to be pretty fair and we haven't been surprised by any costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

We'd recommend the solution to others. It's worked well for us so far. Of course, it would depend on a company's use case and what they need to achieve.

Jason Devine - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up, extremely scalable, and offers excellent performance
    • "The onboarding and integrated monitoring tools are pretty good."
    • "The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It's just a file IO and we've used it for training AI systems. We also use it for network boot for a number of our diskless machines, and it's proven rock-solid on that front, as well.

What is most valuable?

The number one aspect of FlashBlade is performance.

The ability to move large amounts of data through a training array is pretty much unparalleled.

The scalability has been great.

It's put together in such a way that it's very simple to configure and maintain. Things like data replication are easy to set up and monitor.

The onboarding and integrated monitoring tools are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

In our case, we are mostly performance-focused. We don't require a laundry list of features. It's sort of a double-edged sword, however. On one hand, the lack of all these features makes it a lot easier to configure and manage. Yet, if you need those features, it might be a negative. For us, it's elegant.

The solution is expensive.

The solution is stable and offers very good performance overall. From a performance perspective, it's pretty impressive. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

The scalability of this product has been amazing.  We have scaled out some of our FlashBlade environments to get numbers we couldn't come close to with other solutions.

The technical support has been good. We are satisfied with the level of support we have received.

I've used a lot of technologies over the years from NetApp to Dell and others. This product is more or less in a class by itself when it comes to its performance and its scalability.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's simple to configure and maintain. A company shouldn't have any issues with it in general.

We also have FlashArray and we have specialists that support each. The look and feel between the two platforms are similar. You can bounce between them fairly readily. I have the same administrator supporting the FlashBlades as I have to support the FlashArrays.

It's a premium technology. The solution does not come cheap. It's pretty expensive.

What other advice do I have?

For FlashBlade I'd probably rate it a ten out of ten as so far it has been amazing.

Otto Warlich - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Consultant Storage at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    An easy-to-use storage solution for consolidating fast file and object storage
    • "It's very easy-to-use."
    • "The feature that we're waiting on is better integration with the cell services."

What is our primary use case?

The customer decides what he wants to do, and then we create a solution for them.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I can't think of anything that needs to be improved; however, the feature that we're waiting on is better integration with the cell services. I know Pure has a company that's working on the cell system, but it's still not completely there yet.

I have been using Pure Storage FlashBlade for three years.

Stability-wise, it's fine; however, we have one system at a customer's site that has had a lot of problems over the last year — I think maintenance was required over seven times before everything was corrected. Now the system works fine, it's not a problem.

It's as scalable as we need it to be.

Their technical support is not an issue at all — they're great.

I have a little bit of experience with NetApp, but we don't sell the latest NetApp systems. In the past, we worked with NetApp — it's a good filing system.

For me, the initial setup is very straightforward. If there is something you have to change in the beginning, then you can just directly call support; however, as a partner, it's sometimes a little difficult to do. If we're doing some active cluster setups, then we always have to call support to integrate the active cluster — to enable the active cluster. That's something I think we could do by ourselves — that's something that could be changed.

The price is a little high, but I'm not the guy who is selling it to the customer — I only design the solution. Price-wise, somebody else's has to make a decision about it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

I would recommend this solution to other interested companies because it's extremely fast. That's the biggest reason why we recommend it to our customers.

Program Manager at Máxima Medisch Centrum
    More volume with a lower footprint that is priced well and has excellent support
    • "The most valuable features are the Metro clustering, and disaster recovery."
    • "It would be nice if you could store file-based in the same box with the same technology."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Metro clustering, and disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

Now you can only put block storage on the storage array.

It would be nice if you had the same features in the file-based solution on the same box. This would mean you can have all of the storage types in your enterprise on the same box.

I have been working with Pure Storage Flashblade for four months.

It's a stable solution. We currently have all the large databases running on that platform. So everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have approximately 3,000 employees.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is excellent.

Previously, we worked with EMC XtremIO.

We decided to switch because it is less complex and very simple to implement in relation to XtremIO from EMC. You don't need any appliance to make it a Metro Cluster.

In the past, we had a Vplex from Dell EMC. This is an appliance you put above the XtremIO storage, which is not needed in Pure Storage. It is in the same box you have.

The initial setup is very easy.

We require a team of two to maintain the solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new storage array, Pure Storage is, what I call 'the new kids on the block' who don't need to pull legacy systems with it.

It's the right choice because the former storage we had, VNX and XtremeIO boxes, were about 40 height units in one closet. Now we have a four height unit for the entire storage array, that contains six times the volume of our old storage environment.

It's a much lower footprint than before.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Platform Technologies Lead Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent technical support, easy to maintain and install
    • "It is very easy to use, and it is very fast."
    • "There is some room for new features related to authentication and integration with Kubernetes, and other solution using S3 Bucket."

What is our primary use case?

We use Pure Storage FlashBlade for backups.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good product.

It is very easy to use, and it is very fast.

What needs improvement?

The integration with S3 needs some improvement.

There is some room for new features related to authentication and integration with Kubernetes, and other solution using S3 Bucket.

What FlashBlade can do with S3 buckets needs to be improved. Other things, such as NFS, are simple to implement, but S3 can benefit from improvements.

We have been using Pure Storage FlashBlade for three years.

I am totally satisfied with the stability of Pure Storage FlashBlade. It is very stable.

At this time, we don't have plans to increase our usage.

Technical support is great. The support is very fast.

We are also using FlashArray.

We have limited deployment of Flashblade.

I was not present for the installation, but I believe that it is simple. I don't think that it is complex.

One person is needed to deploy and maintain this solution.

We have evaluated various solutions and recently migrated from Dell EMC with the Cloud and Pure Storage Systems. The migration was done two years ago.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Pure Storage and FlashBlade in particular.

I would rate Pure Storage FlashBlade a nine out of ten.

Enrico Boseli - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Fantastic technical support, good product replication, and highly reliable

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mainly used in a very performance-sensitive environment for enterprise software storage.

What is most valuable?

The main feature I have found to be product replication.

What needs improvement?

There could be improvements in public cloud integration.

In the future, one innovation could be for them to make an embedded backup system.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

The stability of the solution is really impressive.

The scalability is possible, however, if they could make the process faster to the cloud it would be better.

The technical support is fantastic.

The installation was extremely easy.

The fact that the solution is extremely stable and it works really great each dollar spent on this solution is worth it.

The price of this solution could be made more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is it can be very effective only in proper use cases, not in every use case.

I rate Pure Storage FlashBlade an eight out of ten.

Download our free Pure Storage FlashBlade Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022