NetApp StorageGRID OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp StorageGRID is the #8 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools. PeerSpot users give NetApp StorageGRID an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. NetApp StorageGRID is most commonly compared to Dell ECS: NetApp StorageGRID vs Dell ECS. NetApp StorageGRID is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is NetApp StorageGRID?

Store and manage unstructured data at scale using NetApp StorageGRID for secure, durable object storage. Place content in the right location, at the right time, and on the right storage tier, optimizing workflows and reducing overall costs for globally distributed rich media.

NetApp StorageGRID was previously known as Storage GRID.

NetApp StorageGRID Customers

ASE, DARZ GmbH

NetApp StorageGRID Video

NetApp StorageGRID Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp StorageGRID pricing:
  • "NetApp is not known for being the cheapest storage option on the market. Almost all of the other storage options we looked at were less expensive than StorageGRID. The price is one thing to criticize, which is what we hear internally and from customers as well. They find the cost of the terabytes in this class of storage a little bit higher than expected."
  • "With respect to pricing, it is okay. This product is mid-range."
  • NetApp StorageGRID Reviews

Senior IT-Ingenieur at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Very satisfied with the backup performance
    • "The backup features are valuable. I've heard from our backup and data protection people that our clients are very satisfied with the performance in junction with the backup, which they archive on this type of object storage."
    • "The price is something that NetApp could improve, as with most companies. NetApp is known for not being the cheapest storage option, which is also valid for StorageGRID. There are other storage options on the market which we are aware of and have done proofs of concept for, but you cannot really compare the list prices because, as a big user of NetApp storages, we have totally different prices than some list prices. Still, the price information we got for other options are almost always less expensive than StorageGRID."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use NetApp as a service provider for IT structures, and are using it in three areas: for archiving, for backups, and for replacing some of the SES architectures, which are basically build machines. We are starting to replace some of them with these StorageGRID appliances. We have a couple of customers in private cloud areas who are using this type of storage from NetApp.

What is most valuable?

The backup features are valuable. I've heard from our backup and data protection people that our clients are very satisfied with the performance in junction with the backup, which they archive on this type of object storage.

What needs improvement?

The price is something that NetApp could improve, as with most companies. NetApp is known for not being the cheapest storage option, which is also valid for StorageGRID. There are other storage options on the market which we are aware of and have done proofs of concept for, but you cannot really compare the list prices because, as a big user of NetApp storages, we have totally different prices than some list prices. Still, the price information we got for other options are almost always less expensive than StorageGRID.

We have been using NetApp StorageGRID for a little less than a year. We are just at the beginning of implementing them.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: November 2022.
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't heard anything negative about the stability.

This solution is scalable—the scalability is always okay.

Not exclusively for StorageGRID, but NetApp's technical support is very good. Maybe we have weight already because we use so many NetApp storage solutions, but we always have their attention when we make a service call.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is not complex. The certification, or the trainings directly from NetApp, are usually one-week trainings for installing, maintaining, and administering the StorageGRID solutions. I can see we're prepared to use some other ones. This is also one of the main reasons why we want to push this and use more StorageGRID, even if we could probably find storage solutions that have more features, are more sophisticated, or are cheaper—we have the expertise within NetApp storage.

When you implement something, it must fit into the environments which you already have. Because we are using maybe 90% NetApp storage, everything around it is organized, beginning with the APIs (how to do automation, for example), and is fitted to NetApp. This is why it's important, for operation and implementation, to use this kind of storage.

We implement this solution through an in-house team.

NetApp is not known for being the cheapest storage option on the market. Almost all of the other storage options we looked at were less expensive than StorageGRID. The price is one thing to criticize, which is what we hear internally and from customers as well. They find the cost of the terabytes in this class of storage a little bit higher than expected.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetApp StorageGRID a nine out of ten.

The main reason why we exclusively use NetApp is because of the unified way that we can monitor it, manage it, and organize all the accounting around it. I'm sure there are other storage options that are cheaper or with better performance, but with relatively limited resources, we cannot spread all our knowledge to do every kind of storage.

Private Cloud
    System Administrator - Storage and Backup at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    Secure, good deduplication capabilities, and reliable performance
    • "The technical support is good."
    • "Beyond the initial setup, this product is a little bit difficult to configure."

What is our primary use case?

I am a system administrator for storage and backup, and we only work with NetApp systems.

At the moment, we are only using the StorageGRID for file archiving. In a few months, we will be using it for production data.

This product is connected using fiber and iSCSI technologies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are deduplication and security.

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

Beyond the initial setup, this product is a little bit difficult to configure. This is something that could be easier to do.

We have been using NetApp StorageGRID for approximately six months and are currently in the installation phase.

We use StorageGRID on a daily basis and the stability is very good at the moment.

We have not scaled the solution, although we have done the training and learned how to scale it. The process is not hard.

There are two of us in charge of administration.

The technical support is good.

We have not had any issues that required escalation.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to deploy and it took approximately a week to complete. However, configuring it after the initial setup is something that could be easier to do.

The vendor assisted us with the deployment. NetApp also handles the maintenance that is required. For example, it was updated yesterday.

With respect to pricing, it is okay. This product is mid-range. We buy our licensing according to our needs.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. It has all of the features that we need at the moment. We expect to maintain it for the next five years.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

November 2022
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mir Gulzar Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT at Synergy Computers
    Great at meeting object storage challenges, very cost-effective

What is our primary use case?

There are specific use cases for StorageGRID. The target customer market is the oil and gas sector, and media and entertainment, where they have large files including videos and archived news information. I am head of IT support and services and we are customers of NetApp StorageGRID.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to deploy for any IT personnel. It's also cost-effective. It addresses all the challenges customers have with regard to object storage.

What needs improvement?

Marketing is a very weak area of NetApp in Pakistan. They are not investing in the Pakistan market. Improvements need to be made in the customer support area.

The solution is stable.

It's more scalable than Hitachi Content Platform offering near to unlimited space. No company can reach the limits of NetApp StorageGrid, because of the petabytes.

The company still has no footprint in Pakistan. We are lucky that the solution is simple to maintain. In that respect, Hitachi provides better support for their product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Download our free File and Object Storage Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Red Hat, and more!
    Updated: November 2022