Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Red Hat Ceph Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Red Hat Ceph Storage is #4 ranked solution in top File and Object Storage tools and #6 ranked solution in top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. PeerSpot users give Red Hat Ceph Storage an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Red Hat Ceph Storage is most commonly compared to MinIO: Red Hat Ceph Storage vs MinIO. Red Hat Ceph Storage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Red Hat Ceph Storage?
Red Hat Ceph Storage is an enterprise open source platform that provides unified software-defined storage on standard, economical servers and disks. With block, object, and file storage combined into one platform, Red Hat Ceph Storage efficiently and automatically manages all your data.

Red Hat Ceph Storage was previously known as Ceph.

Red Hat Ceph Storage Customers
Dell, DreamHost
Red Hat Ceph Storage Video

Red Hat Ceph Storage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat Ceph Storage pricing:
  • "The price of Red Hat Ceph Storage is reasonable."
  • "The price of this product isn't high."
  • Red Hat Ceph Storage Reviews

Ahmed_Taha - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director Of Operations at Diverse
    Designed for container platforms and has good integration, but its user interface needs improvement
    • "What I found most valuable from Red Hat Ceph Storage is integration because if you are talking about a solution that consists purely of Red Hat products, this is where integration benefits come in. In particular, Red Hat Ceph Storage becomes a single solution for managing the entire environment in terms of the container or the infrastructure, or the worker nodes because it all comes from a single plug."
    • "What could be improved in Red Hat Ceph Storage is its user interface or GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We worked with Red Hat Ceph Storage, but mainly we recommended it to special customers with special use cases. For example, when customers purchase the Red Hat OpenShift platform, one of the licensing models is to work with Red Hat Ceph Storage as a storage for the container platform, so this is when we also worked with the solution for our customers. The main use case for Red Hat Ceph Storage was as a container platform for Red Hat OpenShift.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable from Red Hat Ceph Storage is integration because if you are talking about a solution that consists purely of Red Hat products, this is where integration benefits come in. In particular, Red Hat Ceph Storage becomes a single solution for managing the entire environment in terms of the container or the infrastructure, or the worker nodes because it all comes from a single plug.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in Red Hat Ceph Storage is its user interface or GUI.

Red Hat Ceph Storage is a stable product. We've deployed it twice and we didn't have problems from it.

Software Defined Storage (SDS)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Dell Technologies, LizardFS and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Red Hat Ceph Storage is a scalable product.

I've never contacted technical support for Red Hat Ceph Storage.

The initial setup, including customization and optimization for performance, for Red Hat Ceph Storage, was not easy at the beginning, particularly when you need to dig a little bit deeper into the product. Sometimes, you'll also need some assistance from the technical support team.

The licensing model for Red Hat Ceph Storage was for two hundred terabytes if I remember correctly.

What other advice do I have?

My company is an implementer of Red Hat Ceph Storage. The solution was implemented for two or three customers in the FinTech field, but I don't recall using Red Hat Ceph Storage that often.

My advice to others who may want to start using the solution is that its value is good, especially if you have an entire Red Hat environment, as that is when you'll have the best integration.

My rating for Red Hat Ceph Storage is seven out of ten.

Information Team Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables increased resilience but lacks RDMA support for inter-OSD communication
    • "I like the distributed and self-healing nature of the product."
    • "The product lacks RDMA support for inter-OSD communication."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for block storage for an OpenStack environment. I'm the Information Team Lead.

How has it helped my organization?

The product allows our OpenStack environment to move away from the classic network type of backend storage. It enables increased resilience using commodity hardware pricing and that is a major benefit. In comparison to a solution such as FlashBlade, for the capacity and performance you get, Ceph Storage is half the price.

What is most valuable?

I like the distributed and self-healing nature of the product.

What needs improvement?

Ceph Storage lacks RDMA support for inter-OSD communication. That is a huge loss in terms of performance. It's also very intensive on the backend network and takes a lot of resources from the network. I'd like to see a higher performing CephFS, which is the file system part of Ceph.

The company has been using this solution for the past five years, I've been using it for 12 months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, but if you've chosen erasure coding, migrating to a different configuration is difficult and requires some knowledge.

We haven't dealt with technical support, any issues are dealt with in-house.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The documentation describes it perfectly, and it's quite clear as long as you know what you want. We deployed in-house. The planning took a couple of days, making our choices, etc. and the effective deployment took half a day.

Red Hat Ceph is an open-source product so it's self-supported in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion is to try before you buy so you know it's the right solution. It's not one-size-fits-all. The product has plenty of potential for growth, but the parts where we would like to see growth are not necessarily where the vendor is focusing its attention.

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Software Defined Storage (SDS)
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner at Tetra | Healthy Technology
    Highly scalable, reliable, and reasonably priced
    • "Red Hat Ceph Storage is a reliable solution, it works well."
    • "It took me a long time to get the storage drivers for the communication with Kubernetes up and running. The documentation could improve it is lacking information. I'm not sure if this is a Ceph problem or if Ceph should address this, but it was something I ran into. Additionally, there is a performance issue I am having that I am looking into, but overall I am satisfied with the performance."

What is our primary use case?

We use Red Hat Ceph Storage for a Kubernetes backend.

What needs improvement?

It took me a long time to get the storage drivers for the communication with Kubernetes up and running. The documentation could improve it is lacking information. I'm not sure if this is a Ceph problem or if Ceph should address this, but it was something I ran into. Additionally, there is a performance issue I am having that I am looking into, but overall I am satisfied with the performance.

I have been using Red Hat Ceph Storage for three years.

Red Hat Ceph Storage is a reliable solution, it works well.

The scalability is one of the most useful aspects of Red Hat Ceph Storage.

I did not contact the support.

The Red Hat Ceph Storage initial setup is complicated.

We did the implementation ourselves with a couple of people.

The price of Red Hat Ceph Storage is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Red Hat Ceph Storage is working exactly as it should be. It's running in the background, and it's working, and it doesn't bother me.

I would recommend Red Hat Ceph Storage. it is a good system. It is important they have knowledge or if they can find somebody to support them. It's not a good solution if you don't know what you're doing.

I rate Red Hat Ceph Storage an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Rifat Rahman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Architect & CEO at Tirzok Private Limited
    Brilliant, performance-intensive storage system
    • "It's a very performance-intensive, brilliant storage system, and I always recommend it to customers based on its benefits, performance, and scalability."
    • "An area for improvement would be that it's pretty difficult to manage synchronous replication over multiple regions."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the RBD and FS system for block storage.

What is most valuable?

The best features are performance, open measure for hardware options, and scalability.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be that it's pretty difficult to manage synchronous replication over multiple regions. I also don't like the containerization method for Cephadm in the recent deployment. In the next release, I'd like to see reports for security and performance.

I've been working with this solution for approximately five years.

This is a very stable system, and I see very linear performance growth over expansions, so I'm more or less happy with it.

The scalability is good.

The initial setup was pretty good, I deployed it completely in one day.

The price of this product isn't high.

What other advice do I have?

Companies that can afford completely flash-based pipe servers should go for Ceph. It's a very performance-intensive, brilliant storage system, and I always recommend it to customers based on its benefits, performance, and scalability. I would rate it as eight out of ten.

Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Dell Technologies, LizardFS, and more!
    Updated: September 2022