We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Richard Goldstein
President and CEO at DimenXional Cloud Technologies
Great for whitelisting, competitively priced, and has great features
  • "Most valuable for DimenXional Cloud is the API provided by Nakivo which allows us to implement the software in all types of solutions."
  • "While the solution provides mostly what we need, it would be ideal if there were some additional feature capabilities for the API."

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo software is available on a white-label basis. The DimenXional Cloud product with our enhancements is called WatchDog-BaaS for Backup as a Service. DimenXional Cloud has also developed WatchDog-DRaaS, which is Disaster Recovery as a Service. The white-label solution provides the API capabilities that DimenXional Cloud not get from other suppliers of this type of software. The finished solutions are bundled with the tasks for our market. The DimenXional Cloud (Very Small Business) market doesn't care what name is on it. They care about if it works or not and if it is reliable. Above all, our markets want to know that the software is easy to use and it has the right price.

What is most valuable?

1. Most valuable for DimenXional Cloud is the API provided by Nakivo which allows us to implement the software in all types of solutions.

2. It has all the features we need for our customer base.

3. The solution is very competitively priced.

What needs improvement?

While the solution provides mostly what we need, it would be ideal if there were some additional feature capabilities for the API.

I can't really specify which features are missing, as they've done everything that we've asked for so far. Our plate is full of getting what they've done into the marketplace. It's going to take us another two, three months to do that, including engineering work and testing and that type of stuff. I wouldn't be able to answer the question of if there are missing features for at least another three to six months.

We haven't been using the solution for too long.

DimenXional Cloud started our programs with Nakivo in the past year.

We used Veeam, and we still have legacy systems that use Veeam. We are switching because of the price advantage Nakivo provides.

If we're talking about Veeam, it costs us 30% more to do what we are doing. That 30% made us uncompetitive. Nakivo has allowed us to price the product about 10-15% below the competition, and that's significant when you are talking about small dollars. With COVID-19 and the current market conditions, it's important to be very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We're part of the RESA MSP program. It's basically a partnership with the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine or a ten. They've been a very good product so far. It's basically everything we need.

System Administrator at tech
Easy to update with good scheduling and cost-effective pricing
  • "The updates are problem-free, so we can keep Nakivo up to date on the server and NAS too."
  • "The only thing we have encountered that we would like to see improved in the future are error messages. They could be more detailed and helpful, without the need to send logs to support. Failing that, the part of the log related to the error could be displayed alongside the error message, so I can investigate the error without looking through all of those logs that I'm able to download."

What is our primary use case?

In our SMB we started using NAKIVO as our main backup solution for backing up mainly Hyper-V VMs. It's installed directly on our QNAP NAS. Only one system administrator uses it. We use features like scheduled backups, deduplication, retention, and app-aware mode for some VMs.

Our environment has only one Hyper-V server with five Windows Servers plus one Linux VM, which runs a license server, authentification server, active directory, application servers, communication+git server, and the database server with server application for production process management.

How has it helped my organization?

The Nakivo solution provided us with the ability to do automatic scheduled app-aware backups with great deduplication and compression, so they don't overload our local area network and don't require a lot of storage space.

Having reliable backups is a must for us, and Nakivo provided us with an easy-to-use solution, that offers fast implementation, initialization, and configuration. The restore function works great. Thanks to Nakivo we can do our business 24/7/365.

The Nakivo solution was very economical, so my CEO is happy with it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is Nakivo's flexibility in the server platform. We use it directly on our QNAP network-attached storage, so it can run regardless of the Hyper-V server. We also like its very good deduplication and compression, so it doesn't overload our network.

The scheduling is also very well done in Nakivo. Automatic backups are a must for us because we don't have enough time to perform manual backups.

What needs improvement?

The only thing we have encountered that we would like to see improved in the future are error messages. They could be more detailed and helpful, without the need to send logs to support. Failing that, the part of the log related to the error could be displayed alongside the error message, so I can investigate the error without looking through all of those logs that I'm able to download. In the future, I'll be glad for implementing AI that could automatically assume what backup plan and retention do we need.

We've used the solution for one year and few days.

We looked at Veeam. However, Nakivo was more flexible and cost-effective.

Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Owner at Bit and Bytes
User
Enables our team to react in a really short time if a backup doesn't work correctly
  • "The fact that it works with Synology is a big valuable point. Also, that we can check the functionality of a backup so easily. Cloud integration is valuable because the ability to not only backup locally, but to the cloud, has been a great addition to the already fantastic product. We can save so much time with Nakivo and are very happy that we found it and loved to use it for our solutions."
  • "The way encryption is currently working could be improved. Currently, it's not possible to encrypt the backup to an NFS share directly. It needs to have the encryption within the Transporter/VM to enable encryption, which isn't optimal. So I'm hoping that in the near future this function will be implemented."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nakivo as a great addition to our client's VMware environment for backups. We have multiple clients and were looking for an easy backup solution. We were looking for a product that is easy and simple to use. This product perfectly fit and ended up becoming a mainstay in our portfolio of products that we can't live without. We have had several instances where Nakivo has really shined and helped us to recover from potential issues very quickly. Nakivo hasn't only met those expectations, it's surpassed them!

How has it helped my organization?

For our portfolio management services, Nakivo is simply perfect. Our team can react in a really short time if a backup doesn't work correctly. When we need a backup or only some files, it is really easy to restore and fix the problems. It is absolutely a time win and has improved our reaction times. Our clients are very happy and it is perfect that Nakivo runs perfectly with Synology disk drives.

Our technicians don't want to miss it anymore and if a client doesn't want to backup with Nakivo, then the backup is the client's problem.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it works with Synology is a big valuable point. Also, that we can check the functionality of a backup so easily. Cloud integration is valuable because the ability to not only backup locally, but to the cloud, has been a great addition to the already fantastic product. We can save so much time with Nakivo and are very happy that we found it and loved to use it for our solutions.

Last but not least the support is absololutly perfect. Every time we had a problem they helped us instantly.

What needs improvement?

I see two things that could improve:

• The way encryption is currently working could be improved. Currently, it's not possible to encrypt the backup to an NFS share directly. It needs to have the encryption within the Transporter/VM to enable encryption, which isn't optimal. So I'm hoping that in the near future this function will be implemented.
  • Sometimes there is strange UI behavior with changes not being saved without any good message as to why.

But those are only small points and they are not very painful.

We have been using Nakivo for two years.

reviewer1078821
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install and maintain, reliable, and has saved us time and effort in data recovery
  • "Nakivo Backup and Replication's web-based management interface enables intuitive, rapid, and seamless configuration and management of all backup and recovery functionality across the enterprise."
  • "Using an independent bootable media to restore full physical machines would enable physical machines that may be serving as Nakivo Director or Transport machines to be reliably restored to service without undue delay, ensuring that an enterprise's local environment remains intact."

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo Backup and Replication is used to back up mixed virtual and physical machine environments, consisting of multiple VMWare VSphere 6.x virtual machines and a variety of Windows Server, Windows 10, and various Linux release physical machines.

Backups and replicas are stored on local, LAN, and remote WAN physical volumes, as well as local virtual datastores. While our primary recovery scenario has been to recover full virtual and physical machines when problems develop, we have also made extensive use of Nakivo's file and folder recovery options.

How has it helped my organization?

Because Nakivo Backup and Replication is very easy to install and maintain, time and resources aren't wasted with installation, management, or use. Since the recovery of both full machines and discrete files and folders is easy to manage, we're able to rapidly respond when machines crash or users delete necessary files and folders.

This not only minimizes our time and expenses but enables our supported clients to bring machines quickly back to service and their end-users to regain access to those necessary files and folders.

What is most valuable?

Nakivo Backup and Replication's web-based management interface enables intuitive, rapid, and seamless configuration and management of all backup and recovery functionality across the enterprise.

It is not necessary to needlessly waste valuable time and resources figuring out how to configure backup and replication repositories, add source physical and virtual machines to inventory for backup, configure and schedule backups and replications, or recover full machines or granular recovery of specific files and folders.

What needs improvement?

While many useful cloud-based improvements and enhancements are added with each release, we would like the ability to do raw metal restores from bootable media. Using an independent bootable media to restore full physical machines would enable physical machines that may be serving as Nakivo Director or Transport machines to be reliably restored to service without undue delay, ensuring that an enterprise's local environment remains intact.

We've been installing and maintaining Nakivo Backup and Replication for the past three years.

Nakivo Backup and Replication is very reliable and relatively fast across the network.

Customer service has proven to be responsive and always capable of helping determine a proper solution to any problems.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: As a long time systems integrator, we have installed and maintained Nakivo Backup and Recovery as well as other solutions for our mixed customer environments.
reviewer1501257
Technical Manager at Automate-IT
Easy to manage and provides real-time email notifications
  • "The most important feature besides the easy management of the different backup jobs is the automated e-mail notification functionality."
  • "From an administrator usage perspective, the interface is very intuitive, but maybe the wizard for creating and modifying backup jobs could look a little fancier."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to automatically backup our production virtual servers on our dedicated backup storage. As we moved those servers to a new VMware 7 environment, we were looking for a new backup solution. We wanted one that was easy to set up, running on-premises, provides an integration to connect with our active directory, has an intuitive user interface to configure and schedule the backup jobs on our needs, includes a simple way to restore backups, and provides a good price-performance ratio.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvement with Nakivo compared to our old open-source backup solution is that we do not need any manual checks to see if the backup runs are completed successfully. This is because we configured automated e-mail notifications. Therefore we will never miss any failed backup jobs and can immediately react to issues.

The easy creation and modification of backup jobs allow us to split the work between more people because the effort for an introduction and training to learn how to use Nakivo is much lower than with other solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature besides the easy management of the different backup jobs is the automated e-mail notification functionality. It gives us the confidence that whenever an unexpected failure occurs, we will be informed, can check the root cause quickly, and re-run the backup job manually.

We use the Nakivo API to integrate the Nakiov backup solution into our automated server provisioning process, to make sure that every production server gets backed up without any additional manual effort.

What needs improvement?

As we are using the product for only three months, I don't have any important improvement points that I can mention here. So far, Nakivo backup works fine and does exactly what we are expecting from it.

From an administrator usage perspective, the interface is very intuitive, but maybe the wizard for creating and modifying backup jobs could look a little fancier. I consider this to be only a very small improvement point and it definitely has no impact on the capabilities of the Nakivo backup solution.

We have been using Nakivo for three months.

Nakivo has a good price-performance ratio.

reviewer1502613
Mede-eigenaar at Bricad Automatisering
Flexible, multi-platform, easy to use, and the support is responsive
  • "The back-up and restore functions work great and it's easy to use."
  • "At the moment I am pleased with what Nakivo does but I would like more reporting functions and if possible, integration with my RMM system."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nakivo to backup the VMs running at our customer's site. We mainly use ESXi and Hyper-V machines, which usually have two VMs that we want to back-up. We usually install Nakivo on a NAS device, which is a good fit for our customers.

Most of our customers are Small businesses that have small setups.

How has it helped my organization?

We can offer an affordable and reliable backup solution to our customers. It is clear what you get: a back-up solution that does what it promises.

What is most valuable?

I like that Nakivo can be installed on Windows, Linux, and on a NAS. This gives flexibility in the way we can offer solutions. Other than that, I like the core features. The back-up and restore functions work great and it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Nakivo for about two years.

Nakivo is stable and we haven't had any problems as of yet.

Scaling will be dependant on other factors like storage.

I also have good experiences with Nakivo as a company. The account manager is nice and reaches out to us whenever Nakivo has a new feature that he would like to share. If there are any questions on our part, we get a good and quick response.

The initial setup is straightforward. You are guided and there is a lot of information on the website.

Talk to the sales department about all of the possibilities, as they will help you to find the best solution for your setup.

We tested Veeam and while it is a decent option, we think that the price is too high for the functions you get. That is why we started looking at Nakivo.

EnginÖzşahin
Founder at Turkish Everhub Bilişim Technology LTD. ŞTİ.
User-friendly backup solution with a good price
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are that it is a cheaper price and user-friendly."
  • "In terms of what could be improved for the next release, I would probably answer better documentation and licensing models."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for backup purposes - virtualization backup and virtual service backup.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that it is a cheaper price and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

They have improved some documentation to simplify technical issues. But still some licenses are not clear. For example, when you are reading the Pro Essential license features they don't identify the differences between Pro and the Pro Essential license types, or between Enterprise and Enterprise Essential license types. This is important.

In terms of what could be improved for the next release, I would probably answer better documentation and licensing models.

I have been using Nakivo for nearly one year.

Nakivo is reliable and stable.

I didn't try it but I think it's scalable. I can add some storage for backup, so it is scalable in that way.

Technical support is very good.

I have experience with Veeam from about four or five years ago when I used it. These two backup solutions are working well and there is no problem between them. I don't know the differences.

The initial setup is very easy.

I am a Nakivo partner. I buy it for my customers.

The pricing depends on the competition because some competitors are cheaper and some are not. I can say Nakivo is cheap.

I also have experience with other backup solutions, but I implemented Nakivo for my customers and I didn't look at other solutions. I just researched Veeam, Acronis and Commvault a little.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Nakivo a 9. Generally I'm satisfied.

Managing Partner at DelComps LLC,
User
Straightforward to setup with great support and excellent backups
  • "The backup for physical machines and replication for the virtual environment are the most valuable aspects."
  • "They need to add a failover feature to the Essential Pro license in case the environment is a simple virtual environment and the client does not need to upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Nakivo for backup and replication in both virtual and physical environments. The product is excellent, easy to use, and has a lot of beneficial features. On top of all that, the support team is excellent they will assist from deployment to go-live, and have a great after-deployment support service.

How has it helped my organization?

I can say that Using Nakivo Backup and replication adds extra layers of redundancy to my client's environment.

What needs improvement?

We've used the solution for two months.

So far, the application has been very stable and does not require many resources from the existing environment.

Nakivo is very scalable and fits many environments and architectures.

They have a great customer support and service team.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Prior to Nakivo, I used other solutions, however, due to pricing and license models, I preferred Nakivo.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We implemented the solution in-house and with a vendor team. They were very responsive and knowledgeable.

Prior to choosing Nakivo, I did evaluate other solutions. I chose Nakivo for many reasons, from pricing to licensing models, to service and support.

Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.