Nagios Core OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nagios Core is the #9 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools and #10 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give Nagios Core an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Nagios Core is most commonly compared to Zabbix: Nagios Core vs Zabbix. Nagios Core is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Nagios Core Buyer's Guide

Download the Nagios Core Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Nagios Core?

This is IT infrastructure monitoring's industry-standard, open-source core. Free without professional support services.

Nagios Core Customers
Airbnb, Cisco, PayPal, FanDuel
Nagios Core Video

Nagios Core Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nagios Core pricing:
  • "We are using the free version."
  • "Most the plugin features are free."
  • "We are using the free version of Nagios Core."
  • "The enterprise version has technical support. The version we are using is free."
  • Nagios Core Reviews

Sr. System Administrator at Guj Info Petro Limited
    Well priced, lightweight and reliable
    • "Other products are good but from the configuration point of view Nagios is really very lightweight. The price is really good in my opinion. Another important thing is that my Nagios engine still works with Dual core 8GB ram for the last 10 years."
    • "Bandwidth monitoring is the pain point for me because Nagios Core does not monitor bandwidth effectively like Cacti does."

What is our primary use case?

The overall objective to use Nagios Core is "organization doesn't want to pay high monitoring cost" & still wanted to monitor entire data center infra. So, deployed Nagios Core to monitor typical server resource utilization parameters such as CPU, Memory & Disk Utilization.

Later, we configured PNP4Nagios which provides graphical level representation & to see when the WARNING & CRITICAL Level crosses. PNP4Nagios became very useful to get all historical (mostly past 1 year) records when asked.

How has it helped my organization?

Primarily, our focus was to monitor basic things such as CPU, Memory & Storage/Disk Utilization. Later, we understood that integrating multiple products & deploying additional services under monitoring will surely increase our productivity. So, we moved ahead to integrate PNP4Nagios, NagVis, Nagios BPI, Nagios Read Only Dashboard to increase our productivity  &  to judge the incident before it happens.

Now, our Nagios Core is a complete product & we're happy to be a part of it.

What is most valuable?

We found Nagios Core a great product. Started working with Nagios Core when RHEL 5 was there & since then it is still in functioning mode and various types of hosts and services have been configured such as the IBM AIX, Linux, Microsoft Windows, Cisco Routers & Switches & certain gateway level firewalls. (Fortigate, Juniper netscreen, Checkpoint, Radware)

As my knowledge gains, I've stated deploying additional plug-ins to increase our productivity like monitoring DATA CENTER Temperature using Cisco 3560/3560 Chassis Temperature. This was really helpful especially when your DATA CENTER doesn't have a dedicated temperature sensor mechanism. Nagios Exchange is a great source of plug-ins.

To date, total 127 Hots & 729 Services are being monitored under Nagios on an old Intel Dual Core, 4 GB RAM Desktop Computer.!!! Our future plan is to have a HA (High Availability) Setup for Nagios Core. To achieve this, we'll be using Apache Heartbeat (HA Proxy) for 2 individual Linux nodes with Common NFS Storage for Apache nodes. For backup mechanism, we would us "rsync" between NFS Node & Cloud Node over a secure "site to site' VPN connection.

Only the disadvantage of Nagios Core is it's shell based interface. Like Nagios XI, Core doesn't have an intuitive dashboard to configure everything (Hosts & Services) in GUI. Certain open source tool GUI configuration tools are also available but never used it as their -ve reviews.

We monitor both kind of checks. Active & Passive. However, Active checks mostly works well in my architecture. Also, I do provide Nagios Core training/support as per the end client need. Also, I've prepared custom Nagios Core documents for those who wants to learn & deploy.

The biggest difference in Nagios Core & XI is, everything comes pre-built with Nagios XI, while for Nagios Core, all add-ons needs to be configured individually. So, Nagios Core requires hard coded system administrator, who understands advanced Linux commands, Editing of files, Directory permissions, Nagios Log Generation etc.

What needs improvement?

Recommendation: 1

Provide a user friendly GUI to configure various hosts/services using a graphical frontend.

Recommendation: 2

To monitor bandwidth utilization statistics (Just like Cacti) under Nagios Core. I completely understood that Nagios is actually an incident management system, not a bandwidth monitoring tool. So, I tried a lot to integrate Cacti into Nagios but the results are not satisfactorily.

Nagios Core
    January 2023
    Learn what your peers think about Nagios Core. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2023.
    670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Nagios Core for 10 years.

The most stable one.

I am the only one using it. I have deployed the same product in other companies, also. With Nagios, I have integrated the SMS gateway, as well as email services, email relay, and PNP for Nagios in a graphical representation. Everything is configured within the Nagios system.

I'm trying to deploy more and more tools as per my organization's expectations and my expertise like Nagios BPI, the Business Process Intelligence tool.

Nagios Core, which is an open source product has a very limited scalability features. Large Nagios solutions have bigger problems as Nagios core doesn't provide much scalability until you design a de-centralized architecture.

Basically, Nagios uses a group of remote servers & services that are configured to perform various kinds of checks. This design makes Nagios difficult to scale, as large fleets quickly reach the limit of vertical scaling, and Nagios does not easily scale horizontally.

For me, I've configured a total of 7 different Nagios Core Servers to monitor hundreds of nodes. Using this methodology, I can be able to cover different groups of infrastructure & all those Nagios Core Servers transmit real time data on an independent Nagios dashboard tool named MNTOS (Multi Nagios Tactical Dashboard System).

Here, I just need to monitor MNTOS Dashboard which shows all statistics & can jump on that Nagios Server directly if MNTOS shows any kind of WARNING/CRITICAL Alerts.

In summary, you need to put too much efforts to scale Nagios Core to justify organization's actual requirements.

Previously, I tried to use Zabbix, however I was much more confident with Nagios being a Linux System Administrator. Working on a shell prompt is my hobby & that's the main reason I choose & continue nagios core.

I'm not using any other products and I am not even considering any further products.

Setup is straight-forward & well documented.

I'm the only person who manages Nagios Core & relevant services. Once deployed, I provided raining to some Linux engineers so that they can manage it during my unavailability.  So, everything in in-house. Also, we've a roll back option to restore the last configuration if something goes wrong. In most cases, junior linux engineers make a mistake in nagios host/service configuration files. So, prior to make any changes, they need to make a backup copy under the same directory level.

Saved million of rupees just because of Nagios Core. Else, a Tier-III Data Center requires a  paid tool for end-to-end monitoring. Even, my organization endorse Nagios Core Community & put reviews.

In my opinion, the price is very competitive compared to other products. Just compare it with "SolarWinds, Check MK" etc..

Other products are good but from the configuration point of view Nagios is really very god & easy to understand. For me, Nagios isn't pricy if you compare the features & services offered. It can easily run on a basic desktop level hardware to monitor 100s of hosts & services.

Nope. I just googled it & found Nagios Core on the top based on the reviews, use cases & manageability.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering using Nagios Core is, from the data center point of view you should try & deploy Nagios Core especially when you need an end to end, full functional monitoring system, but organizations doesn't want to spend too much in 24x7 monitoring system.

Nagios is really very good from that point of view. If you are paying, Nagios XI is good. If you don't pay, Nagios core is also good. But Nagios Core needs more expertise. You need to put too much effort into configuring different kinds of services. Installation is straight-forward.

I don't have any advice other than that Nagios Core is a starting point for everyone to learn data center monitoring systems. I bought Nagios XI just because certain organizations wants to manage it at their own. Else, I would strongly recommend Nagios Core only.

One a scale of one to ten, I would give Nagios Core a 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Partner Technical Support & Escalation Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    We are using the free version, and we can monitor pretty much everything we want to
    • "It is fairly easy to set up, and we can monitor pretty much everything we want to."
    • "We're using the free version, which limits us in terms of the things that we can do. If we had the paid version, a lot of our issues would probably go away. For example, we can't isolate instances that are being built or updated with the production ones. When they're being built, on Nagios, they're showing in red. It'd be nice to be able to partition those off until they're all green, and then we can bring them into the environment. This is probably because we've got the free version and not the paid version. If we went for the paid version, it would probably allow us to do exactly what we want to or remove the restrictions that we have, but if we are able to isolate instances in the free version, it would make life much easier."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for monitoring services on a bunch of virtual machines.

In terms of the version, we're fairly up to date. We are perhaps not the most up-to-date, but we're fairly current.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides visibility of the platforms.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We're using the free version, which limits us in terms of the things that we can do. If we had the paid version, a lot of our issues would probably go away. For example, we can't isolate instances that are being built or updated with the production ones. When they're being built, on Nagios, they're showing in red. It'd be nice to be able to partition those off until they're all green, and then we can bring them into the environment. This is probably because we've got the free version and not the paid version. If we went for the paid version, it would probably allow us to do exactly what we want to or remove the restrictions that we have, but if we are able to isolate instances in the free version, it would make life much easier.

In terms of new features, we're just using it for what it is. We are using what we've got now. We don't have any additional requirements as far as I'm aware.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is fine. There are no concerns there. Our biggest challenge is that we get a lot of timeouts, but that seems to be because of our network setup. There are a whole bunch of spurious events being reported, but they're more timeouts in getting to the Nagios agents.

It seems to be all right at the moment. We don't seem to be having any problems with that. We have upwards of 20 users, and it is being used on a daily basis.

I have not contacted them for a long time.

Nagios is the first one.

From what I heard, it didn't seem difficult to set up. It was quite straightforward.

We're still rolling out and deploying new instances of VMs that we want to monitor. It's an ongoing process.

We deployed it ourselves. Its maintenance is done by one or two people.

We are using the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to others. It does what it is supposed to. It is pretty good.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Nagios Core
    January 2023
    670,400 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Software Engineer at Peristent Systems
    A good solution with alerting features
    • "Dashboard provides monitor of total assets."
    • "Would benefit from aggregations if a particular server goes down."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nagios for one of our customers to monitor all the servers, firewalls, routers, and cameras. While monitoring the server we get alerts, this enables us to raise a ticket and notify end users that we are aware of the issue before they need to notify us.

We have 80 people using the dashboard and getting the alerts. Depending on the number of servers, routers, and firewalls we are monitoring in current clusters. When one cluster goes down, it will automatically take data from another cluster.

We support 24/7 because our client is a financial company, if the critical servers go down, they would face financial issues.

What is most valuable?

The features of Nagios Core that we find most valuable are the plugins we use, we can check the uptime and see how many servers and routers and create groups accordingly. From these groups, we can check how many servers and routers go down.

We also like the alerting features. One of the dashboards they provide monitor total assets and how many are up and how many are down.

What needs improvement?

If we need to process quicker, we use third party plugins to avoid downtime.

Nagios Core would benefit from aggregations if a particular server goes down.

Comparing Nagios UI and Nagios Core, in Nagios Core we need to do some coding while Nagios XI has everything in UI. If you go with Nagios XI the developer task is minimized because they help provide the UI. With Nagios Core, we need to log into the Linux servers and we need to change that particular directory. We need to write a code for each and every server.

I have been working with Nagios Core for two years.

We deploy Nagios on a cloud, so there are features like plugins. The help desk tickets plugins so we can monitor the lock files as well from main server and create dashboards.

The security-related features also are there to monitor antivirus and install or not on each and every server.

We were working with ELK. Due to costing we switched to Nagios Core because it is free for the alerting feature.

The initial setup of Nagios Core is straightforward. We installed as per the steps mentioned in Nagios' documentation. It can be deployed in a day.

I completed the installation myself.

Most of the features in Nagios Core are free. Most plugins are free.

What other advice do I have?

When considering Nagios Core you should consider how many servers, firewalls and routers you need to monitor. Then determine which services need to be monitored by Nagios Core and how many service alerts are needed so you can create clusters and keep your gig size and RAM size accordingly.

I would rate Nagios Core a 7 out of 10.

Azam S M - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Lead at Danat Fz LLC
    Notifications are received promptly; very easy to set up and manage
    • "Provides timely notifications."
    • "The UI is a little outdated and graphics could be displayed in a better way."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for monitoring the security of our environment. We have specific services running on our Windows systems and Nagios provides us with notifications regarding the status, whether things are running properly or not. Sites hosted on IIS can also be monitored. We are customers of Nagios and I'm an infrastructure lead.

What is most valuable?

The value of the solution is that we get timely notifications if there are any issues and they can be solved immediately. Nagios provides all the plugins required.

What needs improvement?

The UI is a little outdated so it's not as user-friendly as it should be and the graphics should be displayed in a better way.

I've been using this solution for six years.

The solution is stable and reliable.

Because the solution is open source, there's no direct support from Nagios. We post our questions to the community and that provides sufficient support.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. Deployment probably took us an hour or two and was not implemented all at once. New areas come up all the time that require monitoring so we research which plugin will be useful and implement that. It's enhanced gradually whenever we have a specific requirement. The implementation was done in-house. There is some maintenance involved, including for the upgrades. I manage the solution but there's a development team to monitor the services, around eight to 10 people.

The product is open source so it's completely free. It's deployed on an Amazon server so we pay a small amount, maybe $30 per month, for the AWS hosting.

We tested ManageEngine and another open-source product that is an OS but we found Nagios easier to set up and manage.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution because it's very easy to use. There are good resources available online and we can do everything we need.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Rizwan Shabbir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Administrator at Mentor Graphics
    Useful network connectivity checks, reliable, but graphical interface lacking
    • "The most valuable feature of Nagios Core is the ability to check the availability of the server for network connectivity. Additionally, the interface is good."
    • "Nagios Core can improve the graphical interface, it would make things a little easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nagios Core mainly for servers. We check the network hardware connectivity. We check for the availability of the network and for hardware failures.

We have deployed Nagios Core on a VM and it's working very well. The specs of the VM are very low because it doesn't require so much storage

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Nagios Core is the ability to check the availability of the server for network connectivity. Additionally, the interface is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Nagios Core for approximately five years.

The stability of Nagios Core has been good in our usage.

Nagios Core is scalable for our needs. We don't have many servers and network activity, we have approximately 200 nodes, and it's fulfilling our requirements.

We do not have plans to increase our usage of the solution this time but maybe in the future.

We do not have support for this solution, it is free.

I have not used another solution previously.

The initial setup of Nagios Core is not complicated, once you are used to it, it can be easy. The full implementation took us approximately three hours.

I rate the initial setup of Nagios Core a three out of five.

We maintain Nagios Core in-house.

We are using the free version of Nagios Core.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

This solution can meet basic requirements. If someone is using it on a larger scale they might have difficulty managing it.

I rate Nagios Core a seven out of ten.

Systems and Virtualization Engineer at Altelios Technology Group
    Beneficial plugins, large community support, and reliable
    • "The most valuable feature of Nagios Core is it allows us to develop and add as many plugins as we want."
    • "Nagios Core could improve by adding a user interface. If you want the user interface you have to use Nagios XI."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nagios Core to detect any issues in our infrastructure, software, system service, and network issues. It is a centralized monitoring service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Nagios Core is it allows us to develop and add as many plugins as we want.

What needs improvement?

Nagios Core could improve by adding a user interface. If you want the user interface you have to use Nagios XI.

I have been using Nagios Core for approximately eight years.

Nagios Core is stable.

The scalability of Nagios Core is very good. We can add as many hosts as we like, and we can work with the concept master and client. It's very scalable and we have added the SentryOne as another layer. It's become very easy to use.

This solution is used by two engineering and three technicians. It is not used for end-user.

We use the open-source version of this solution and there is a large community that can provide support for any of our issues.

I am using SCOM in parallel to Nagios Core, it's a monitoring solution by Microsoft. However, I prefer Nagios Core.

Nagios Core is deployed in a Linux operating system and it is simple to do. For a medium-sized infrastructure, the deployment can take a day.

The enterprise version has technical support. The version we are using is free.

What other advice do I have?

The free version of the solution does not have an interface, but the paid version does.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Nagios Core an eight out of ten.

James Jaramillo - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Specialist at ADDI
    It's a free and flexible solution that integrates well with other products
    • "The most valuable feature depends on the project. It's great if you need to check to ensure a service is running 24/7. I can use the full solution for free, and it's flexible. If I need to add a dashboard, I can integrate it with Nagios. Cloud synchronization is wonderful."
    • "The mapping is a little hard."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nagios to monitor networking infrastructure and services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature depends on the project. It's great if you need to check to ensure a service is running 24/7. I can use the full solution for free, and it's flexible. If I need to add a dashboard, I can integrate it with Nagios. Cloud synchronization is wonderful.

What needs improvement?

The mapping is a little hard.

I've been using Nagios Core for three to five years.

Nagios is 100 percent stable.

Nagios is appropriate for companies of all sizes, but a larger enterprise might require a bigger IT team. The largest team I've seen was 50 people. You can easily scale Nagios up, but I've never done it.

Nagios support is good. They also have a complete knowledge base, so if you need to figure something out, you can find everything about the solution in one place.

I used Pandora about seven years ago, so I can only speak about the capabilities of the solution as it existed at the time. Pandora was excellent, but the documentation was too complicated.

It depends on infrastructure, but normally Nagios is easy to deploy, and I could do it by myself. It usually takes two or three days, but I needed a week for one deployment. You need to install and configure everything and deploy the agents on various servers.

After deployment, you need to do periodic updates and patching. You download the latest pack from the Nagios server with the client. You can do an ATT update depending on if you have Red Hat or Windows between the platforms.

Administrateur reseaux at Orange
    Allows me to monitor the network and see all the traffic passing through it
    • "I like that it's very simple to install, easy to manage and deploy, and easy to use for monitoring."
    • "I would like to see a sensor that shows the traffic of a user and what they're doing on the network."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to monitor my network. There are 25 agents in my country. This solution sends me notifications if any equipment is down.

It's deployed on-premises. I'm currently using version 4.3.3.

There are five people in my company who use this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is very important in my organization because it lets me see all the traffic passing through my network.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's very simple to install, easy to manage and deploy, and easy to use for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a sensor that shows the traffic of a user and what they're doing on the network.

I have used this solution for five years.

It's stable. The performance is good.

It's very stable, so I haven't needed to contact technical support.

I previously used SolarWinds. I switched to Nagios Core because it's a unique solution, it's easy to install and troubleshoot, and there's a lot of documentation on the internet.

I downloaded the Linux image from the internet, set up my server, and launched the setup. It took 10 minutes to install. During the last installation, I activated automatic system updates.

Deployment was done in-house.

Nagios Core costs less than SolarWinds. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution nine out of 10.

Download our free Nagios Core Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: January 2023