Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft DPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft DPM is #28 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Microsoft DPM an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Microsoft DPM is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Microsoft DPM vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Microsoft DPM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft DPM?

Microsoft Data Protection Manager (DPM) is an enterprise backup system that can be used to back up data from a source location to a target secondary location. Microsoft DPM allows you to back up application data from Microsoft servers and workloads, and file data from servers and client computers. You can create full backups, incremental backups, differential backups, and bare-metal backups to completely restore a system. Microsoft DPM can store backup data to disks for short-term storage, to Azure Cloud for both for short-term and long-term storage off-premises, and to tapes for long-term storage, which can then be stored offsite. Backed up files are indexed, which allows you to easily search your recovered data.

Microsoft DPM contributes to your business continuity and disaster recovery strategy by facilitating the backup and recovery of enterprise data, ensuring resources are available and recoverable during planned and unplanned outages. When outages occur and source data is unavailable, you can use DPM to easily restore data to the original source or to an alternate location.

Key Features of Microsoft DPM:

• Application-aware backup: Application-aware backup of Microsoft workloads, including SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange, and SharePoint.

• File backup: Back up files and folders on computers running Windows Server and Windows operating systems.

• System backup: Back up the entire system state or run complete backups of physical computers running Windows Server or Windows client operating systems.

• Hyper-V backup: Back up Hyper-V virtual machines running either Windows or Linux. You can choose to back up an entire virtual machine or specific applications on the virtual machine.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft DPM stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust and flexible backup capabilities and its being easy to manage with one central dashboard.

William M., the head of ICT infrastructure & security at a tech services company, notes, "The automated procedure is quite good for us, as it is able to capture all of the information that we require. The compatibility is very good. We have an IBM AS/400 machine in our office that we're using, and we're able to back it up fine. This is the same for other systems, as well. I think that overall, it is really adaptable, compatible, and scalable."

Mohammed I., a managing director at Adalites, notes, "I would definitely recommend data protection DPM. It has an application backup, a file backup, a system backup and a hypervisor. It works flawlessly, never a problem."

Rodney C. a system analyst at a financial services firm, writes, "The most valuable feature is that DPM has an index so individual files can be searched. This is our primary tool for recovering deleted files or folders. Once we implement a System Center Operations Manager, all of our DPM servers can then be seen on one dashboard."

Microsoft DPM was previously known as DPM, Data Protection Manager, MS DPM.

Microsoft DPM Customers

Medical Park, Centropol Energy, a.s., NCFE, D & H Distributing, Metalor, Colosseum, a.s., Sanitas S.A., Icebreaker

Microsoft DPM Video

Microsoft DPM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft DPM pricing:
"Microsoft DPM is a free solution. However, we pay approximately $3,000 annually for support."

Microsoft DPM Reviews

Senior Consultant at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use and scalable but needs to be easier to install
  • "The most important feature is that it's easy to use."
  • "You have only a few settings and if you change them for some special configurations, it's very difficult."

What is our primary use case?

The most important use case is in the recovery of some data.

We can recover after users or bad applications have deleted data.

Sometimes we use it for recovery, the complete recovery of machines.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is that it's easy to use.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

The issue with the solution is if you have some problems, it's difficult to find the reason for the problem and to troubleshoot the problems with the solution.

There are so many different things to configure. It can really mess with the settings. In general, more settings need to be possible. You have only a few settings and if you change them for some special configurations, it's very difficult.

It's not so stable from time to time. You have problems occasionally. Sometimes the Microsoft patches for the operating systems might cause issues. However, with this product, the root cause can be tough to find.

It's not that easy to install.

You can manage this DPM or you can monitor this DPM with Microsoft Operations Manager and so on.

We've used the solution for six years at this point. It's been a while.

Microsoft DPM
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution isn't completely stable. There are issues with patching occasionally.

For our environments, it's scalable. It's not a problem if you need to expand.

We only have three admins on the product currently.

We do not plan to increase usage. We plan on moving away from it and onto Rubrik.

We've contacted technical support in the past. When we had contact they were very good and very fast. We've had fast resolutions. That said, there have been times when we had no solutions for certain issues and Microsoft invited us to try a variety of things that didn't resolve the issue.

We're actually in the process of switching products. In a few weeks, we'll be changing to Rubrik.

I'm aware of a few other solutions, such as Veeam and Acronis for example. I haven't used them directly. I am just aware of these as potential options. Microsoft was the best choice as it's included within a larger Microsoft license.

When it comes to installing the solution, you need to know what to do. It's not simple or straightforward.

For the initial setup and deployment, we had finished everything in about three hours. That's the amount of time we needed for installation and configuration.

In our case, we had one admin that handled the initial setup.

We were able to handle the installation ourselves. It is a process you can manage yourself. We did not need the help of integrators or consultants.

That said, it's better if you have some guys that have handled many installations and know some tricks, and some tips. For example, what's the best way to install, et cetera.

We have a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement for licenses. We pay yearly.

You have one Microsoft license. With this license, you can use all the systems and products. The DPM license is included in this license and you have no additional cost. As a backup and recovery product, you can just integrate it with other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're solutions providers.

At this time I would not recommend the solution to other users.

I'd rate it at a five out of ten.

William Mugobogobo - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of ICT Infrastructure & Security at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good compatibility and the automated procedure works well, but the management reporting needs improvement
  • "The automated procedure is quite good for us, as it is able to capture all of the information that we require."
  • "Management reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for backing up our entire environment, which includes our ERP and all of the other systems that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole idea for doing a backup is to be able to fully recover and restore, and some of the options are quite good for us. We have been happy with the recovery tasks that we've carried out.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Management reporting could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft DPM for the past four years.

I think that Microsoft DPM is very stable. We are a local authority and we are running multiple health information systems, engineering, and financial systems.

We have a vast number of systems and we're scaling up to more than 4,000 users. As of now, we have been able to scale up to our requirements.

We have been in contact with Microsoft technical support here and there. We have a local supplier that we work with, and it is important to keep in mind that DPM isn't the only product that we are using. We also use a configuration manager, an operations manager, and a service manager which is the service desk. The entire set is the Management Suite.

In terms of response time, they are okay. However, we've had an issue with not being about to get the kind of reports that we want in terms of managing our environment.

The initial setup was really straightforward and we didn't have any challenges. It took us between two and three weeks to deploy.

We completed the implementation and deployment in-house and without any issues.

Our IT department is divided into four groups which are security, infrastructure networks, MIS, and solutions. We have three engineers who are responsible for DPM.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working with an on-premises deployment but we want to use the hybrid option now. We are looking forward to seeing how it performs.

To this point, from what we have been using, we have found this product to be okay and we haven't had any major issues. We are happy with the features that we have.

Overall, we are happy with this product. At the same time, I cannot give it a perfect rating until I see how well it scales in the cloud.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft DPM
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodney Carlson - PeerSpot reviewer
System Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Good search capability and supports full-system backup
  • "The most valuable feature is that DPM has an index so individual files can be searched."
  • "Additional Hyper-V knowledge would be great."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is part of our main disaster recovery as well as long term recovery solution policy. It will work on physical and virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Moving to this solution has improved our backup capability. Zerto is only able to replicate virtual machines whereas DPM is capable of backing up everything.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Additional Hyper-V knowledge would be great. There are some articles online detailing the interaction with hypervisors. Using the built-in tools would speed up some of the normal routine procedures.

I have been using Microsoft DPM for over three years.

It is a stable product.

DPM is easily scalable. There is a database stored on a SQL server in which the size needs to be monitored.

Prior to using DPM, we used Zerto.

Zerto has a fast recovery of entire machines whereas DPM has an index so individual files can be searched. DPM is capable of backing up both physical and virtual machines.

There were some quirks in the initial setup. I needed to make certain the SQL versions and reporting was completely patched but not necessarily updated. DPM is only happy with certain versions so do not upgrade SQL to the latest and greatest. Follow guidelines laid out on the Microsoft-DPM web sites.

System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Suitable for small sites and businesses with Microsoft products, easy to use, but needs better reporting and better portability for other vendors
  • "It is almost perfect for Microsoft products. It is not a very powerful tool, but it is okay for small sites and small businesses with Microsoft products. It is easy to use for backup and restore. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers such as Exchange and SharePoint servers."
  • "It needs portability for other vendors. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers, but it doesn't support third-party solutions such as Oracle Database. It depends on Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy, especially for Hyper-V, which has a lot of problems. They should enhance the Volume Shadow Copy functionality. Its reporting should also be better. Reporting is too weak in DPM."

What is most valuable?

It is almost perfect for Microsoft products. It is not a very powerful tool, but it is okay for small sites and small businesses with Microsoft products.

It is easy to use for backup and restore. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers such as Exchange and SharePoint servers.

What needs improvement?

It needs portability for other vendors. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers, but it doesn't support third-party solutions such as Oracle Database.

It depends on Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy, especially for Hyper-V, which has a lot of problems. They should enhance the Volume Shadow Copy functionality.

Its reporting should also be better. Reporting is too weak in DPM.

I have been using this solution for six years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is moderate. I am an expert in DPM, so I don't need support many times.

Its installation is straightforward. It takes one hour at the most.

I installed it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for small businesses and small sites. I plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Microsoft DPM a seven out of ten.

Arthur Fan - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scales well, free to use, and simple setup

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft DPM to backup and restore data from our server farm.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft DPM could improve if it was available in a public or private cloud.

I have been using Microsoft DPM for approximately 10 years.

The stability in Microsoft DPM 2015 we better than the 2019 version. We have had some problems.

Microsoft DPM is scalable.

We have approximately two people using the solution.

The solution is suitable for smaller amounts of data backups. If people want to use large amounts of data other solutions would be better suited.

The support from Microsoft DPM is good but we have to pay for the answers. We have to purchase points and when we need to use the support we have to use some of the points that we purchased. The support does not cost very much and we pay for each problem we have.

Microsoft DPM's is easy to set up.

Microsoft DPM is a free solution. However, we pay approximately $3,000 annually for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft DPM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft DPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022