Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Layer7 API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Layer7 API Management is #5 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Layer7 API Management an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Layer7 API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Layer7 API Management vs Apigee. Layer7 API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Layer7 API Management?

Layer7 API Management is an API management suite that provides industry-leading API products. The solution consists of an API Gateway, an API Developer Portal, and a Live API Creator. Layer7 API Management enables organizations to test and monitor in real time in both development and production environments. It can be implemented as a

SaaS, on-premises, or hybrid solution.

Some of the solution’s main capabilities include API strategy and design, API and microservice creation, testing and publishing, microservice orchestration, and mobile & IoT development.

Layer7 API Management Features

Layer7 API Management has many valuable key features:

• Securely integrate and govern APIs at scale
  • Cloud, mobile, and social connectivity
  • Self-service API publishing
  • Searchable catalog of APIs
  • Military-grade security certifications
  • Integrated web, mobile, and XML firewalling
  • Advanced SAML, OAuth, and XACML identity and access capabilities
  • Backend SOA connectivity (across databases, applications, mainframes, and middleware)
  • Protocol transformation from legacy to REST and JSON

Layer7 API Management Benefits

Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Security: Layer7 API Management gives you protection against threats and OWASP vulnerabilities. In addition, it helps you control access with single sign-on and identity management, providing end-to-end security for applications, mobile, and IoT.
  • Data access: Layer7 API Management provides data integration, application logic, and a robust API, giving you access to all data you may need.
  • Mobile access: With Layer7 API Management, you can securely connect smart devices and mobile applications easily.
  • Scalability: Layer7 API Management can dynamically scale up or down, enabling your organization to achieve high performance via throttling, prioritization, caching, and routing.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Layer7 API Management users.

Ewan S., API Technical Lead at Sanlam, says, “The Gateway is extremely flexible, which was one of the big plus sides. The capability to extend the Gateway functionality into reusable components is a big plus for us. A big win for CA was the expertise of the local country support plus having support staff on site in a matter of hours, if required."

An IT / Enterprise Architect, IT Consultant at a consultancy mentions that the most valuable aspect of the solution is “The ability to control the web services. Actually what it is being mostly used for is to control the access. Most of the access is being controlled through IP filtering, IP whitelist. In addition to that, we are moving slowly towards using more client certificates. It impresses me as a product because it never goes down. It always does what it is supposed to do.”

PeerSpot user Arpit A., Enterprise API Architect at Al-Futtaim Group, comments, "The solution fills our two most important concerns in seeking an API solution by providing a reliable gateway and security options." He goes on to add, “Layer7 is the most important step in our Application Modernization strategy. We envision to create an Open Architecture which allows us to adapt to ever-changing market needs. It is a key enabler in decoupling the core applications from the digital channels thereby giving us the flexibility to build the plug n play architectural landscape.”

An Assistant Consultant at a computer software company explains, “The solution allows developers to create more advanced security policies.”

Layer7 API Management was previously known as CA API Management, CA Live API Creator, Espresso Logic, CA API Gateway.

Layer7 API Management Customers

Alaska Airlines, The Advisory Board Company, Amerigroup, IceMobile, R+V Versicherung, U.S. Army - plus hundreds of other customers in the banking, energy, finance, healthcare, government, manufacturing, transportation and retail sectors.

Layer7 API Management Video

Layer7 API Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Layer7 API Management pricing:
  • "There is an annual license for the use of this solution. I think we are paying for some support maintenance fees, included in that license. I don't know how it works. They should provide more information."
  • "This solution is a bit more expensive than competitors."
  • "It was very high at that time. We are a Broadcom CA partner, and we got it only for testing purposes. We didn't pay anything for it."
  • "It is a pricey product, although not extremely overpriced compared to competitors in the market."
  • Layer7 API Management Reviews

Arpit Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise API Architect at Al-Futtaim Group
    We created Enterprise API Management Layer for our legacy systems using this solution.
    • "The solution fills our two most important concerns in seeking an API solution by providing a reliable gateway and security options."
    • "The setup was not as straightforward as it should have been. Support should be improved."
    • "The architecture of the solution does not allow for flexibility in using different components for the gateway architecture."

What is our primary use case?

I am an Enterprise API architect and we are one of the biggest conglomerate organizations in Dubai. We have a lot of retail businesses,  automotive businesses, and other interests. What we are doing is using the API Management to build out a proper, consistent API layer for our legacy systems and microservices as well. That will enable us to expand our reach in digital channels. This will also help us serve the API Products for 3rd part consumptions.

We are already using Dell Boomi in our organization for ESB purposes and are more focused on that development right now and hope to do more with Layer7 in the future.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Because we have only used the gateway part of the Layer7 solution, we have not explored a lot of the potential and capabilities in detail. It would be premature to go into details about what we may use or discover will be useful in the future. We still have to go into production. Feedback in terms of usability or the broader scope of features is not possible. The product has more capabilities that we were looking for in an API gateway in terms of security as well. We plan to incorporate all its advantages.

The gateway and security features were the two most important requirements for us and the product has definitely met our expectations. That is currently most valuable to us.

Upcoming features that we will soon incorporate will be Developer Portal, Live API Creator and Blazemeter.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I think they do not have a good enough knowledge base on setting up the API Management Layer, especially on Azure using containers. In the corporate world, this solution is becoming very popular as we move forward.

So something that I would like them to improve on is their information resources because we need more assistance / support from them to get our API Management Layer set up correctly on Azure. They still have a lot to do in this area in terms of support and building a community. But we have confidence, it would improve moving forward.

When you talk about full API life cycle management, they lack inbuilt support of community forums as part of their offering which can be published to external developers. The forum can become an important hub for communication between our organization’s API Team and app developers who wish to use our APIs. Using the forums, developers will be able to post questions using the forum.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Google, IBM and others in API Management. Updated: September 2022.
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think we are dealing with only a smaller part of the capabilities of Layer7 as we have just started using the gateway. So we are using it almost only as a gateway right now. We plan to broaden the scope and we are in the process of onboarding full API life cycle management as well. We only deployed it a few months back on the gateway level.

We have not had many problems, but again, we are not testing under full, live production loads.

We have not gotten far enough along to test the scalability of the product, but it was made for enterprise solutions so it should be readily scalable.

From the support side, the Broadcom / CA Team has supported us well.

For APIs, we were using Broadcom API Gateway. We were using Dell Boomi iPaaS, we were using F5 load balancing, and a web application firewall. All of these components we have in our organization. We may be able to reduce the number of solutions.

Broadcom is actually the same product as the CA Technologies API gateway. CA (Computer Associates) was bought out by Broadcom. So now the CA API is the Broadcom Layer7 management solution which they are updating and improving. We stayed with the product when the product changed names.

The guys we used to do the installation were from a local UAE team. Their experience on Azure is limited. But at this point it is fine. I think we are more-or-less satisfied that what we have now is done correctly.

We used combination of internal and external team because we thought it would save time and effort.

When it comes to pricing, I think we cracked a good deal with Broadcom on Layer7. It may be because of the COVID-19 situation. Whatever the reason, from a pricing perspective we have found the solution to be a good deal for us.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Layer7 as a nine. Right now it is a bit premature to rate the product overall but in terms of the disappointment in the community support opportunities, I would rate it as a seven as of now.

I think with the situation that we are in and with the current economic atmosphere, there is definitely a reason for those looking for an API solution to also consider open-source products. Instead of going with the proprietary products, sometimes considerations depend on the size of the organization and the budget. Every organization should first analyze what they need. If they need an enterprise-class product definitely Broadcom Layer7 is a good solution. But if an organization can manage their needs with an open-source product, or the team has a good knowledge of the APIs and the ability to customize, then I think that open-source can be a viable option. As long as the product is sufficient to fit the needs, moving forward with some sort of an open-source product is just as well.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Assistant Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    The solution allows developers to create more advanced security policies
    • "API Management makes dealing with APIs easier. It'll help you to move ahead on your API application journey. The solution allows developers to create more advanced security policies"
    • "feel like Apigee's API product is more interactive. You can drag and drop with those, but it's a little more difficult in Layer7. It's less user-friendly compared to that Apigee product."

What is our primary use case?

We use a combination of Denodo and Layer7 API Management. The APIs are developed on Layer7 and then exported through Denodo. Layer7 provides the security layer, while Denodo facilitates data on demand. That combination is handy, and most organizations have a similar setup. That data is exported to API. The data modeling is done on Denodo and exposed through policies developed on Layer7 API Management.

It's good to have a tool for integrating data between organizations and applications. The combination of Denodo and Layer7 is beneficial. I feel like Layer7 would not be sufficient because most APIs need data on demand. We need to provide data on demand on top of some layers without going back into the native data systems.

That will help developers not tax something on the line. We just develop on top of those databases or data layers. You prepare a logical data layer to provide an API exposed through Layer7. Using Layer7 and Teams or different applications can consume those data easily.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I feel like Apigee's API product is more interactive. You can drag and drop with those, but it's a little more difficult in Layer7. It's less user-friendly compared to that Apigee product. However, the overall user experience is okay.

We have been using API Management for three years.

Our deployment is stable. The company was using API Management before I joined. It's pretty stable and people are developing their APIs on it. The integration Layer7 provides works well in our environment.

API Management is scalable. We did some horizontal scaling and adopted a clustered approach, with two or three nodes behind that. We have that kind of scalability in our environment, and we have a hard drive. We're processing millions of jobs a day that are handled well with the cluster setup we have in place.

Solutions technical support actually falls. I mean, in our area, we have to get a team around it, so that some of the APIs won't get fail and the possibilities of capturing the records. Second thing is to deliver the migration of the APIs to higher environment. So this falls API, I mean, under support task and that too includes performing lifecycle management, upgrading the API versions. So last year we did from nine to ten. So this changes are there in the bucket of support and we do handle around that part of task.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Layer7 API Management eight out of 10. There's a steep learning curve, and I have spent two or three years looking at the documentation that comes with it. It's a bit difficult compared to some other products like Apigee.

September 2022
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Software Developer III at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Flexible policies, scalable, and straightforward installation
    • "The most valuable feature of Layer7 API Management is that their policy is really easy to develop and it is flexible."
    • "The UI design could be improved in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Layer7 API Management as an enterprise service bus, ESB, and B2B security gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

There is not a comparable solution on the market to Layer7 API Management. It has been useful for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Layer7 API Management is that their policy is really easy to develop and it is flexible.

What needs improvement?

The UI design could be improved in the next release.

I have been using Layer7 API Management for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

Layer7 API Management is scalable.

We have two people in my company that uses this solution. We are will need to train more people.

We are attempting to expand usage but because we cannot find resources, we will try to change to some other product. We were using it for a long time. It's a little difficult to transfer every feature that we have, but we are still open to finding another product, such as NGINX. We are on the POC of NGINX, but it keeps changing. The organization is trying to stop using this product as we have a lack of resources, but right now we found that some of the features cannot transform easily. Then we want to expand, I'm confused as well about what we are doing.

The initial installation was straightforward. We split the release and the patching takes a few minutes with a few mouse clicks. We automate most of the process.

We have an in-house team that does the implementation.

There is an annual license for the use of this solution. I think we are paying for some support maintenance fees, included in that license. I don't know how it works. They should provide more information.

We have been evaluating NGINX. I have found NGINX has a better UI than Layer7 API Management. Most of the features that NGINX has are already supported in Layer7 API Management.

What other advice do I have?

We have found it's really difficult to find the right resource in our Canadian market. It is more difficult to hire new developers who can support Layer7 API Management.

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is if they have the right resource, this is a really nice product and I recommend it because it's really flexible and that they can build and customize with the vendor directly. I really am with this product.

I rate Layer7 API Management a nine out of ten.

Alfredo Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
    ALiBS Solutions at ALiBS Solutions
    Many API protections against attacks, reliable, and good technical support
    • "When I have used technical support they helped me a lot. Sometimes they took a long time to respond because we had very complex issues that we asked them for help with, but I think it is a very good service."
    • "The Policy Manager tool that is used to manage the solution is very heavy to use because it is based in Java. Sometimes it takes a long time to load. There could be some improvements to it. If they could make Policy Manager on a web page that would be a good alternative."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use the solution for a secured layer to protect their API. Most of them have two kinds of API, the frontend, and backend.

What is most valuable?

There are many beneficial features in this solution that protect against attacks, such as SQL, injection, and the internet.

What needs improvement?

The Policy Manager tool that is used to manage the solution is very heavy to use because it is based in Java. Sometimes it takes a long time to load. There could be some improvements to it. If they could make Policy Manager on a web page that would be a good alternative.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

I have found the stability very good.

When I have used technical support they helped me a lot. Sometimes they took a long time to respond because we had very complex issues that we asked them for help with, but I think it is a very good service.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward. However, the first and second time we did it was a bit complex because we were not used to the installation.

We have done the implementation and the time it takes depends on the client's use case. You can do the installation and have some APIs working to generate some values for the clients in approximately 30 days.

This solution is a bit more expensive than competitors.

My clients evaluate others solutions before they chose this one, such as AWS, and Apigee from Google. The most common option that they evaluated was Apigee because of the price.

The main difference was AWS and Apigee to this solution is they have a lower price but they do not have all the features that this solution has. It depends on the client, they have to decide between what features they want to implement. If there are not many features to implement they can go with Apigee or AWS, but if there are more complex implementations they try to go with Layer7.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I really like the solution.

I rate Layer7 API Management a nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The best part about it is that it doesn't stop if something is missing during the installation, it looks for it on its own

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Layer7 API Management to monitor stuff. I'm the one who installs it. They sent me a TAR file, I unloaded it to TAR, brought it up, and made everything work. I gave it the three different network configurations to talk to the three different domains, and then I turn it over to the guys, and they do what they got to do with it.

What is most valuable?

The best part about it is that it doesn't stop if something is missing during the installation. It looks for it on its own. I don't have to be there to do it physically.

I've been using Layer7 API Management for about three months.

Layer7 API Management appears to be stable. No one has called me to say that it's not working.

Layer7 API Management is a scalable solution.

The initial setup wasn't that hard. You got all the Postgres and all those other little add-ons. It makes sure you've got this installed and that installed. There are prerequisites for what it needs before it gets up and running, but that's a piece of cake.

It all depends on how good your developers are. I know Nutanix and VMware. If you want to do a quick setup with VMware, they have everything preloaded, everything comes in one package, and everything needed for your application to work is already loaded into the bundle.

With SolarWinds, everything is configured for their SolarWinds app, and it's like having a Windows disc with the little features you can add. It's like, if you install the software for Windows or some of these other applications, you can break it down to where you can add in features as needed.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate it an eight out of 10, no solution is perfect.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    CEO and Co-Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A good solution for microservices and APIs, but its price is high
    • "We loved the portal part the most, which had monetization and showed how people were using the stuff. It is a good product as a whole and has a lot of microservices and granular features."
    • "The delivery is bulky in terms of implementation. Its price could also be better. It is a very good product as compared to CA API, Google API, and WSO2 API, but its price is high. From the cloud-native perspective, some new features need to be added. It could also be made simpler to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We had a test version, which was more of an on-prem version, and we also had some on the Docker for a live API creator.

We are a security service company, and we provide a lot of solutions in that space. We were just trying to have a frictionless authentication product, so we were working on that. We were looking for a Gateway that can serve in an API, and we've already got an open-source solution.

What is most valuable?

We loved the portal part the most, which had monetization and showed how people were using the stuff. It is a good product as a whole and has a lot of microservices and granular features.

What needs improvement?

The delivery is bulky in terms of implementation. Its price could also be better. It is a very good product as compared to CA API, Google API, and WSO2 API, but its price is high.

From the cloud-native perspective, some new features need to be added. It could also be made simpler to implement.

We have been using this solution for four to five years.

Technical support was okay. We were getting good support. We had access to the portal, and the support was good enough.

It was a little complex initially. We struggled a bit initially to understand this solution, but later on, it was okay. I do not exactly remember the issues, but initially, our team was facing a lot of problems in terms of virtualization.

It was very high at that time. We are a Broadcom CA partner, and we got it only for testing purposes. We didn't pay anything for it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. This is one of the good solutions for microservices and APIs and for people who need to go the digital way. There are a lot of other solutions that are coming into the market, and the infrastructure landscape is changing.

I would rate Layer7 API Management a six out of ten.

ANDRE MONTEIRO - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business development manager at Sec4you
    A visual user interface to instantly create APIs
    • "The mobile access gateway (MAG) is tremendous."
    • "They need a multifactor authentication solution for the API layer and the other layers, as well."

What is our primary use case?

We use Layer7 API Management for digital banking: for signing, validation, transactions, etc.

We are a partner, so there are roughly 40 people inside my company working with Layer7.

What is most valuable?

The mobile access gateway (MAG) is tremendous.

What needs improvement?

Its ID authentication is a little outdated. I think they should start using face ID.

They need a multifactor authentication solution for the API layer and the other layers, as well. Today, we don't have face recognition for the gateway. We don't have palm recognition either. This would add a needed additional security layer.

I have been using this solution for roughly two to three years.

This solution is very stable. Once you have the other patches applied it's really stable.

Layer7 API Management is very scalable.

Overall, I would give their technical support a rating of six. It was better before Broadcom acquired it from CA. If they improved their response time, I would give the technical support a higher rating.

The initial setup is very easy.

We have implemented this solution for three banks. One bank took three months and another took six months to fully implement due to an additional security layer.

It really depends on the size of the bank and the number of transactions that you have to validate, the board members, and the customer flows within the bank.

What other advice do I have?

If you wish to implement Layer7 API Management, it is paramount that you understand, first, what you need.

Most of the time, the customer doesn't understand the power of APIs and how they should be managed inside an organization. If your customer doesn't have a plan, it doesn't matter what solution they use — nothing will work.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Automation Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, straightforward to set up, and has centralized management
    • "It is helpful to have a central API that is hosted and managed."
    • "If they had different levels of support available then it would be easier to justify the costs."

What is our primary use case?

This product is used to expose some internal APIs to help us automate different activities.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is helpful to have a central API that is hosted and managed.  It reduces costs and customers, suppliers, and vendors receive a uniform interface.

What needs improvement?

The license model and the cost of licensing can be improved. Especially given that we are in a stable operational mode.

We have been using Layer7 API Management for five or six years, and we have been actively using it this year.

It has been working quite well for a long time.

It's been working for us, from a scalability perspective. It's implemented within a central group, so there are just a couple of roles that run it. The APIs we host are stable.

We are in a stable maintenance mode, so we haven't had to engage customer service/technical support for some time.

We did not use another similar solution prior to this one.

It's a complex product, but I would say that the initial setup is straightforward.

Our in-house team handled the deployment.

We have a handful of IT admins and app admins who specialize in maintaining Layer 7

It is a pricey product, although priced to the market.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product. It's been stable and working for us, and our main difficultly is people calling out the price point on it.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Google, IBM, and more!
    Updated: September 2022