IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Instana Dynamic APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Instana Dynamic APM is #36 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Instana Dynamic APM an average rating of 6.8 out of 10. Instana Dynamic APM is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: Instana Dynamic APM vs Dynatrace. Instana Dynamic APM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Instana Dynamic APM?

Instana’s Enterprise Observability Platform, powered by automated Application Performance Monitoring, discovers and maps all services, infrastructure, and their inter-dependencies automatically. Instana ingests all observability metrics, traces each request, profiles every process, and updates application dependency maps in real-time to deliver the context and actionable feedback needed by Dev+Ops to optimize application performance, enable innovation, and mitigate risk to help them add value and efficiency to the pipeline. Learn more at https://instana.com.

Instana Dynamic APM Customers

Daxko Lifts Fitness Studios Through COVID Regulations with Quick Engineering Pivots
Altissia Meets SLAs to Support Student Deadlines
Immocloud Unlocks Observability to Modernize Real Estate
Enento Group Boosts Service Reliability with Real-Time Visibility into Application Performance
Instana’s Observability for Amazon EKS Helps Yara Deliver Digital Farming Solutions

Instana Dynamic APM Video

Instana Dynamic APM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Instana Dynamic APM pricing:
"Its pricing isn't a big pain point. Its pricing seems to be better than some of the other competing products in the market, but they also have some of the features and functionalities that are better than Instana."

Instana Dynamic APM Reviews

Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can drill down and figure out what's going on with the application, but the API monitoring and user experience monitoring aspects could be better
  • "The detailing of our application behavior and user experience is most valuable. In case there is an issue, we typically use Instana to figure it out. We can drill down to the application and figure out what's going on and where the issue is."
  • "We should be able to go back to scenarios during or before the issue. There should be something like a history playback. Such a feature or functionality would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We typically use Instana for application monitoring. We have our insurance products, and we are using it to monitor application health and all that.

In terms of deployment, currently, we are using it in our data center infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The API monitoring aspect could be better. The end-user experience monitoring aspect could also be better. They could improve the user experience monitoring from endpoints.

They can also improve the product to make it similar to Elasticsearch in terms of detailing the issues or playback, such as:

• What happened during the issue?
  • What went wrong?
  • What should have happened?

We should be able to go back to scenarios during or before the issue. There should be something like a history playback. Such a feature or functionality would be good.

They could also work on cloud adoption. More and more people are adapting to the cloud, but I am not sure how Instana is really evolving with regard to the cloud. There might be a roadmap, but I'm not too clear on those aspects.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

Application Performance Management (APM)
August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Instana, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: August 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable product.

It is scalable. We are a medium organization, and we are using Instana at that level. I can't evaluate if it is suitable for small and large enterprises.

It seems there isn't any challenge with technical support, but I'm not the right person to comment on the technical support because I don't handle the day-to-day operations.

We use Dynatrace for some of the use cases but not much. Dynatrace is a little bit more expensive, but I got a feeling from teams that Dynatrace is better than Instana with regards to drilling down to the actual issues and other such aspects. The product team and project team might use Dynatrace to have more visibility to the actual problems and do root cause analysis.

Instana is pretty easy to set up. It isn't a complex thing to do.

Its pricing isn't a big pain point. Its pricing seems to be better than some of the other competing products in the market, but they also have some of the features and functionalities that are better than Instana.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Chief Operations Officer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Good Capabilities but the configuration and installation could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We use it to find the root cause of the potential problems in the software and the other companies.

What is most valuable?

The overall capabilities are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The configuration of Instana Dynamic APM needs improvement because it requires quite a bit of work.

I would like to see the outer discovery and outsource of different services to enable faster roll-outs. This would make it better.

I have been using Instana Dynamic APM for seven months.

I am using the latest version.

The stability is good.

It is not scalable, although they are releasing a new package that is.

Currently, we have 20 users in our organization.

We have plans to increase our usage to several hundred users,

Technical support depends on the different topics.

I would say that they are average because security has been a bit of a challenge for us

We require full firewall openings between different components, which is not acceptable for our city. It's forcing us to go with Kubernetes.

We used an in-house, open-sourced solution. Eric and Grafanna.

We had to switch because we were not successful in developing our own solution.

The initial setup requires quite a bit of configuration to make it work.

The time of deployment depends on the type of installation. To deploy the full product, we are yet there even after several months.

We completed the implementation internally.

We also evaluated Dynatrace.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Application Performance Management (APM)
August 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sirine Maslah - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant IT Performance / APM at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, good interface and documentation, but the certification needs improvement
  • "With Instana, the interface and the UI are very simple to use."
  • "I think that Instana should improve the university and the certification process, so the users can find experts in Instana with their certification module process."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider with expertise in Dynatrace and Instana APM.

We offer services for these two applications.

What is most valuable?

With Instana, the interface and the UI are very simple to use.

Also, I really like the free EUM module. It's free, not like other monitoring tools.

What needs improvement?

We need troubleshooting at the code level. It would help with development.

We have been using Instana for three months.

I can't really comment on the stability, as it's only been three months that I have been using this solution.

The initial setup was complex.

It is really easy to deploy, it takes less than 30 minutes.

There is a difference in price between Dynatrace and Instana. The setup for Dynatrace requires a deep level of code in the table system, and Instana is only in Java.

What other advice do I have?

The documentation is well done. Spend time reading the documentation and watching videos about Instana before using it. It can really help someone who doesn't know the tool.

I can recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Instana a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Luis_Jimenez - PeerSpot reviewer
Country Manager at Mainsoft Peru
Provides real-time data generation but integration could be improved
  • "Instana is very fast to implement and deploy because the dashboards are automated and don't need configuration."
  • "The integration could be improved with more plugins or open API."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring with granularity by one second, which allows real-time data generation, and the fast implementation.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved with more plugins or open API. In the next release, I'd like to see synthetic monitoring, the ability to deploy Db2 in AS400, and a feature with anomaly detection based on AI.

I've been using this solution for the last year.

Instana is very fast to implement and deploy because the dashboards are automated and don't need configuration (you can personalize, but when you install Instana, you have the dashboard out of the box immediately).

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to always be specific in where you can deploy and to control what kind of information you need to see. Also, think about the cloud you want to use with Instana because it's not really fast or easy when you have a legacy system. I'd rate this solution seven out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Instana, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!
Updated: August 2022