GFI LanGuard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GFI LanGuard is the #8 ranked solution in top Patch Management tools. PeerSpot users give GFI LanGuard an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. GFI LanGuard is most commonly compared to Microsoft Windows Server Update Services: GFI LanGuard vs Microsoft Windows Server Update Services. GFI LanGuard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Patch Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is GFI LanGuard?

GFI LanGuard enables complete patch management of security and non-security patches to Microsoft operating systems, Mac OS X, major Linux distributions and third-party applications. It can also automate patching for all major web browsers too.

GFI LanGuard was previously known as LanGuard.

GFI LanGuard Customers

BayView Medical Clinic, FrugalBrothers Software, Zaw, National Theatre, American Red Cross

GFI LanGuard Video

GFI LanGuard Pricing Advice

What users are saying about GFI LanGuard pricing:
  • "On a scale of one to five, with one being expensive and five being competitive, I would rate the price as a four."
  • "We are a gold partner and we receive favorable discounts. The price of GFI LanGuard is competitive. When you evaluate other solutions, such as ManageEngine."
  • "I rate the pricing of GFI LanGuard a four out of five."
  • "GFI LanGuard cost approximately $1,000 annually to use the solution."
  • "GFI LanGuard isn't expensive."
  • GFI LanGuard Reviews

Alex Kimondo - PeerSpot reviewer
    ICT Manager at MEDS
    A scalable, competitively priced solution with a good ROI and easy setup process
    • "I like that the solution can block users from unnecessarily putting devices on the network."
    • "When you want to uninstall software from an endpoint, sometimes it becomes very problematic."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses GFI to safeguard our endpoint devices and prevent users from putting unwanted devices on the network. We also use it to provide visibility into all the elements in our network, as well as for patch management and updates.

What is most valuable?

As an organization that has many users, the feature I find most valuable is endpoint control because we may have users that want to add devices, and I like that the solution can block users from unnecessarily putting devices on the network.

What needs improvement?

Removing the software is a bit of a complex process. It's not straightforward. When you are deploying the solution, you deploy it centrally to the endpoints. However, when you want to uninstall software from an endpoint, sometimes it becomes very problematic.

One of the features that I'm always keen on is software-defined wide area network capability. I know this is actually something that they've worked on, and it's called the Exinda SD-WAN, but I would wish they would include it in the GFI suite as a package. I think they could incorporate Exinda SD-WAN and the bandwidth module for network application performance as part of their package with the GFI.

Also, I think they need to drop modules that are a bit obsolete, like the FaxMaker and FaxMaker Online.

I have been using this solution for two years.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about GFI, ManageEngine, Microsoft and others in Patch Management. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I would say this is a stable product. Before I found it, I had been looking for a product like this for a long time.

I love this solution because it is scalable. We've installed it on 237 users' work stations. I also like that it's compatible with so many other platforms.

Technical support is an area where I've always had problems because, especially in East Africa, there's a bit of a challenge regarding support. I mostly rely on online research. I think the solution needs to expand their partnership in the African region and try to provide more remote support. Other products always have ready support, and you can get research materials online and even work around troubleshooting, but with this GFI software, it's a challenge.

The setup procedure was easy because we were in a domain network, so I did everything centrally from the server. There was one user who had complications because they wanted to be able to input devices, and when I tried to pinpoint the machine and remove it, the solution gave me a very hard time.

I'm the one who carried out the setup and implementation, so it was done in-house. With one being difficult and five being easy, I would rate the setup as a four because it's not a difficult process.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate our ROI as a four because with this solution, we've been able to really safeguard our perimeter network. We've benefited from their range of products without incurring a huge cost, and I would say out of the three years that we've been working with the solution, we've managed to utilize it quite well.

Our annual licensing fee is about $2,500. The original cost to purchase the license was around $21,000. I would say this is a fair price because other solutions charge for each module. The way that GFI bundles their products makes the price much better when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten.

Ted Mbugua - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Manager at CRAG
    Scalable, light on resources, and useful visibility
    • "The most valuable features of GFI LanGuard are the vulnerability assessment, it provides us with substantial insight into what applications are running on the endpoint systems and what vulnerabilities are there in the running applications. The second would be the assets tracking. I'm able to see in the network whether my endpoint server is operating and if all the other IT equipment is running in the environment. Additionally, GFI LanGuard is not heavy on system resources. It gives a competitive advantage over others."
    • "GFI LanGuard could improve the rollback feature. If we have installed the wrong we have had some issues with the rollback function. Additionally, more input from GFI LanGuard for the custom software push install."

What is our primary use case?

GFI LanGuard can be deployed on the cloud and on-premise. For approximately four years GFI LanGuard was on-premise, but now we moved to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using GFI LanGuard for asset management, patch management, and vulnerability assessment. We are looking at the vulnerabilities and the health status of the hard disc, RAM spillage, and over usage of resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of GFI LanGuard are the vulnerability assessment, it provides us with substantial insight into what applications are running on the endpoint systems and what vulnerabilities are there in the running applications. The second would be the assets tracking. I'm able to see in the network whether my endpoint server is operating and if all the other IT equipment is running in the environment. Additionally, GFI LanGuard is not heavy on system resources. It gives a competitive advantage over others.

What needs improvement?

GFI LanGuard could improve the rollback feature. If we have installed the wrong we have had some issues with the rollback function. Additionally, more input from GFI LanGuard for the custom software push install.

I have been using GFI LanGuard for approximately seven years.

The stability of GFI LanGuard is good. I have never seen the server maxing out in terms of when it's downloading or sending updates. The only challenge is if you're working with a client who has remote branches and they're on MPLS. Then, when you're trying to send updates to remote systems, sometimes the network may be a bit slow.

We can choose off-peak hours when user traffic is not busy in the systems allowing the patch to be done without trouble.

We have approximately 150 people using GFI LanGuard in my organization.

GFI LanGuard is scalable. If we are looking to increase the systems, and the licenses it incorporates all our needs. If we are adding two or five systems, there's always the patches license that has us covered.

The support from GFI LanGuard has been good.

I have previously used Microsoft when it had the WSUS server. I switched to GFI LanGuard because of the vulnerability visibility of all the endpoints.

The initial setup of GFI LanGuard was straightforward. However, we had trained previously. In case we had difficulties the support was always available.

I did the implementation internally myself. To deploy GFI LanGuard on-premise fully took me half a day. I was then able to install and do the patching of agents.

We are a gold partner and we receive favorable discounts. The price of GFI LanGuard is competitive. When you evaluate other solutions, such as ManageEngine.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend GFI LanGuard to others. The visibility that it provides to the administrator is very good. The advantage you receive from the threat vulnerability, and the custom updating of software, give it a better competitive advantage in the market.

I rate GFI LanGuard a nine out of ten.

There is always room for improvement.

November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ted Mbugua - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Manager at CRAG
    Highly stable, quick support, and useful modules
    • "The most useful features of GFI LanGuard are vulnerability assessment and patching solutions."
    • "GFI LanGuard can improve by adding more modules, such as asset control or asset inventory."

What needs improvement?

I have been using GFI LanGuard for approximately six years.

The stability of GFI LanGuard in the first two years was not good. There were a lot of upgrades and patches simply because it was unstable, but for the past four years that we've been using it, it's been very stable.

GFI LanGuard can scale well and it is easy to do. We can scale up to approximately 200.

Technical support is always easy. Anytime we have an issue or we need clarification, there is a number to call or email for assistance. They always respond within two hours minimum.

I rate the support from GFI LanGuard a nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of GFI LanGuard is straightforward.

I rate the initial setup of GFI LanGuard a four out of five.

we have seen a return on investment using GFI LanGuard.

I rate the pricing of GFI LanGuard a four out of five.

We compared GFI LanGuard to three other solutions that we tried. We choose GFI LanGuard out of the three because of the quick support, ease of deployment and use and it is less technical than the others.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is you do not have to be very technical to use it. When installing it, you only need to click next. Additionally, the support is helpful and knowledgeable. Their technical documentation is easily accessible.

I rate GFI LanGuard an eight out of ten.

Sales engineer for EMEA region at OneClick
    Effective patch management, useful vulnerability assessment, and low maintenance
    • "The most valuable features in GFI LanGuard are patch management and vulnerability assessment."
    • "GFI LanGuard can improve by adding asset tracking."

What is our primary use case?

GFI LanGuard is used for patch management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features in GFI LanGuard are patch management and vulnerability assessment.

What needs improvement?

GFI LanGuard can improve by adding asset tracking.

I have been using GFI LanGuard for approximately three years.

GFI LanGuard is stable.

The scalability of GFI LanGuard is it's matching exactly the amount which is needed.

I have not used the support from GFI LanGuard.

I was previously using ManageEngine and we switched to GFI LanGuard because it was less expensive, had the same feature sets, and an additional vulnerability assessment feature.

The initial setup of GFI LanGuard was straightforward.

Maintenance is not required. The solution itself is allowing you to maintain your security.

GFI LanGuard cost approximately $1,000 annually to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they should have a look at the deployment guides. They are well documented and useful.

I rate GFI LanGuard a nine out of ten.

Head of Technical - Systems and Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Integrates well, easy to use, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are using this solution for patch management.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and integrates well with other operating systems.

What needs improvement?

If GFI LanGuard had a cloud version it would be better for people that are working from home.

There are many features that need to be added standard in the future to stay competitive, such as remote distance service.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

We have not had a problem with the stability.

The solution is scalable. You can increase users by purchasing a certain license anytime.

The support has been responsive in my experience.

The installation was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate GFI LanGuard an eight out of ten.

Ashish-Gautam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Engineer at Hitachi Systems, Ltd.
    Stable and reasonably priced but has some technical limitations

What is our primary use case?

I use GFI LanGuard to save bandwidth and provide protection from attacks.

What needs improvement?

GFI LanGuard has some technical limitations with machines.

I've been using GFI LanGuard for six months.

GFI LanGuard is stable.

GFI LanGuard is scalable.

GFI's technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy.

GFI LanGuard isn't expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would give GFI LanGuard a rating of six out of ten.

Download our free Patch Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about GFI, ManageEngine, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: November 2022