We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Seamlessly backs-up and restores data and information
  • "It's very user-friendly. It supports a wide range of workloads. It's quite easy to use, it's very powerful and it's scalable."
  • "We've run into some issues when attempting to restore very large numbers of files. Of course, that's more of a design issue."

What is our primary use case?

It's an enterprise backup tool. It is the competitor to Dell and IBM, TSM and Symantec NetBackup, or rather what's called Veritas NetBackup.

It's an enterprise data protection tool. It's almost in the top three or four solutions out there.

We have one environment with 500 servers, and another environment with 1,000 servers.

We definitely plan to continue using Commvault. We basically support the customers, their MSP. We use Dell as our own data center MSP product but we are supporting this for other customers.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good competitor database.

It's got the ability to do automation, that's another good thing about it. It's got workflow automation built-in. It enables you to automate certain tasks.

It can create backups, restore, and be used for DR testing. It's got all those features which are better than many other tools out there. It also has good reporting as well.

It has a very easy-to-use interface that allows you to do everything within a single pane of glass — everything is right there. It's superior to many products in terms of its management interface.

What needs improvement?

We've run into some issues when attempting to restore very large numbers of files. Of course, that's more of a design issue. For example, if you have, say, 10 million small files with added encryption, and you want to restore them, it can end up taking days to restore them. That is a file-level restoring operation. One option is to go for Image Level backup and restore the entire image, which is much faster. Then you can extract whatever data you want from that image.

IntelliSnap is a storage snapshot application for storage snapshots. The tool is very good but we could not use it because we didn't have compatible storage. That would've helped us a lot because that's one of the very few tools which integrates with lots of storage products out there. It's very flexible, very easy-to-use. We had the VMware vSAN version which is not supported by Commvault IntelliSnap.

The thing about Commvault is there are a lot of moving parts. You have to design it properly for resources, hardware and software, and licensing because you can install it on any of your Intel servers and then you can use any other storage as the destination. It just comes down to proper lower-level design in sizing.

I have been using Commvault for the past five years.

Commvault is quite stable.

The environment can scale nicely. It's got the ability to scale for multi-node clusters, but you need to ensure that you keep it updated.

Commvault support is usually very, very responsive and they always help us quickly resolve any problems that we may have — they are excellent.

The initial setup is very easy, actually. We did it within one day.

We had a professional service engagement with Commvault and they did it in a matter of roughly one day. Implementation and configuration of the policies — it only took one day to set it up and test it.

We needed to have professional assistance from Commvault as it can be a little difficult to deploy. It can be done, but it's always handy to have professional assistance from Commvault factored into your own solution.

Capacity licensing is very good with Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend using Commvault. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Commvault a rating of eight.

Arunesh Rajendran
Sr. IT Administrator at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
DR site setup is good and backups and restores are fast
  • "The solution’s user interface for managing the on-prem environment is good."
  • "Suppose I am restoring a particular file. If I want to restore the permissions only from that particular folder, that is not possible. I have to restore all the data for that particular folder. If there was an option to just restore the permissions, that would be better."

What is our primary use case?

So far we have tested the backups, add-on based backups and VM-based backups, as well as snapshot-based backups. We have done restores, file-server backups, and object-based restoring. We have done database backups as well.

DR is the most important thing. For other things it seems comparable to other backup solutions, but right now, we do not have any DR site. Using this, we are planning to set up DR.

What is most valuable?

Restores and backups seem very fast.

The site setup also seems good. We have only done one or two servers in two locations and it seems fine. This is important for DR, so that if anything happens on one side of the system, at least we have another site that we can make available for our service.

The solution’s user interface for managing the on-prem environment is good.

What needs improvement?

The Command Center is pretty good. It provides us with a view of the main features and main areas, but they might be able to do things better. For example, are there any particular issues on a backup — to get everything on one tab. At the moment, we have to go to different tabs. It would be helpful to get the main notifications in a single dashboard.

Also, in the restore field, I couldn't find a separate option to restore the permissions only. I have to restore the complete data. Suppose I am restoring a particular file. If I want to restore the permissions only from that particular folder, that is not possible. I have to restore all the data for that particular folder. If there was an option to just restore the permissions, that would be better.

Right now we are testing this solution in a PoC. We have been testing it for around one month. We have done most of the test cases, but we still have some test cases to finish.

We have not done cloud-based testing yet. Perhaps after we finish the failover testing, we will start with that.

The stability is good. Compared to Veritas it is good.

The solution seems compatible with almost every platform, including VM Hyper-V, and most databases, including SQL, MongoDB, and Postgres.

Currently, we are using Veritas, and I have also used Veeam in the past. Veeam is a good product but I prefer Commvault for backup and DR.

The DR setup is a little better with Commvault, with the failover features that are available. Also, we have been having many issues with Veritas and their technical team has not been able to solve most of them. They have not found what the issues are and they are taking too much time.

The initial setup is complex because we are going to set up a DR and cloud. There are different networks in our site as well.

The deployment didn't take much time. Within a day to two days we had configured everything. But the test cases are taking time because right now we are working from home. We are connecting our systems remotely so there are some connection issues, due to our internet connectivity.

We have checked some other products, but we are not testing them because price-wise, Commvault is better than the other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a better DR solution, this one is good. We will do failover testing: Where one site is down, the other site should automatically take over, so that everything will be available. If that works well, then this would be the main thing that I would highlight.

Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mithilesh Kumar
Manager (Utilities & Offsites) at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
A very reliable solution with a single window console to manage all backups
  • "We switched to Commvault because we were looking to centralize management. This reduced IT administrator time as well as providing stability and reliability for data backups in a single console."
  • "When we started using Commvault, we felt that there were some technical issues with managing it, but we are comfortable enough with managing it now. There were many issues, like index corrupting, when we first started, but all those issues were resolved by the Commvault tech team."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server, laptop, and desktop backup.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault helps our admins minimize the time that they spend on backup tasks and other projects since we are now managing a single console to administer all the backups, instead of a full console.

What is most valuable?

It is a very good tool for server backup. We can restore any server, e.g., physical or VM, in a very short amount of time.

Commvault Command Center is very good and user-friendly. We can select any user's data or a server in its Console.

Commvault provides us with a single platform to move, manage and recover our data across locations. Especially for our IT, this is a very important part of our data storage.

The recovery option is very good. It is a user-friendly option to recover any data.

What needs improvement?

When we started using Commvault, we felt that there were some technical issues with managing it, but we are comfortable enough with managing it now. There were many issues, like index corrupting, when we first started, but all those issues were resolved by the Commvault tech team.

Its major disadvantage is it's expensive. Otherwise, the solution is good.

I have been using it for the last six months.

It is a very stable solution.

Scalability is very good.

We use a third-party to resolve issues first. They first try for L1 or L2 support. If they are unable to fix it, then they escalate it to Commvault technical support.

The support is very good. I would rate them as eight out of 10.

Positive

We were using Symantec Backup, which did not have features like centralized management. Commvault has a centralized, single console where you can manage multiple locations of user's desktop data, which is one of the important features of Commvault.

We switched to Commvault because we were looking to centralize management. This reduced IT administrator time as well as providing stability and reliability for data backups in a single console, and we didn't get these features from Symantec.

It reduces IT man-hours by an hour per day.

The cost for Commvault is very expensive, even support is very expensive. The full cost of the solution is 50,000 INR per year, which includes 20 VM backups, server data backup, and 200 desktop and laptop agent licenses.

They have recurring support changes.

They should reduce the support and license costs so anyone could start using Commvault. Due to its cost, customers are reluctant to use Commvault.

The first time, when building infrastructure, the cost is quite high.

We evaluated Veeam and Veritas NetBackup.

We chose Commvault based on some customer feedback and technical reviews of Commvault. The main difference of Commvault is the single console to manage everything.

What other advice do I have?

Go for Commvault. It is a very strong, stable solution. Technically, it is a very reliable solution with a single window console to manage all backups. Definitely, we recommend customers should go for Commvault. Though, it would be nice if Commvault could compromise on the pricing part.

I spend two hours every day on Commvault monitoring and managing performance as well as fine-tuning.

We implemented on-premises, so it is not connected to any public networks. Therefore, hacking is very difficult.

I would rate Commvault as eight out of 10.

Support Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to manage with a simple user interface but needs better local support
  • "The user interface is very easy to navigate."
  • "The local support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We do a lot of backups daily, and mainly we just keep the operating system images. We do take database and active directory backups as well. We handle all types of backups using this product.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very easy to navigate. The interface itself is very simple.

Overall, it is doing the job we need it to do.

It supports whatever line types and support types and systems we have. It supports all types of backup systems quite easily.

The stability has been very good so far. We haven't had any problems with it.

The product is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The local support could be improved. Right now, it's something about the solution that is lacking.

They should offer better partners that can help us implement the solution in a better way.

It would be ideal if they offered editing or activating options.

I don't know how good it is with the virtual environment. I have not tried the product with VMware, for example.

I've been using the solution for about six years at this point. It's been a while.

We've never had any issues with stability. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's pretty reliable.

We are still running with a single server, and it's a per server per instance-based license model. If we need to add our first storage-based model or another division, we cannot support both. It's a licensing model issue.

The local support is lacking overall. It's something they need to really work on improving.

We have worked with Veritas and IBM in the past, however, that was a very long time ago. I wouldn't be able to compare them to this solution as too much time has passed and much has changed. We used those solutions maybe ten or so years ago now.

The initial setup is not easy or difficult. It's moderate, or somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't describe the implementation as complex, however.

The deployment too more than expected, as the vendor involved was having some staffing issues. The engineers were changing and we had some technical requirements which we realized at a later stage.

Maintenance isn't required very often, however, we have to ensure it is up-to-date. We also have to ensure whenever anything changes, we have to properly add them to the Commvault - whether they are new servers or new clients. Whenever we change our backup library or the memory storage, we have to reconfigure things. In that regard, there is occasional maintenance, depending on our background changes.

We only need one person to manage the solution. It doesn't take a lot of staff. Typically, they are an administrator and they handle everything that needs to be done as it's required.

We are integrators and therefore we are able to implement the solution ourselves.

The pricing falls somewhere in the middle of what the market offers. It's not overly expensive. The licensing model is quite good. Everything is included under it.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

We're using the latest version of the solution. We always use the latest version.

I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate it at a seven out of ten.

Assistant Manager at Shriram Pistons
Reduced downtime and administrative time but the setup is complex
  • "It's a software-based solution so we just need a license to expand it."
  • "Setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for taking backup of our virtual servers and some physical servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We were searching for a tool to backup our virtual machines when we bought Commvault. I was already using Avamar to backup our desktops and laptops on a daily basis. We are using Commvault to take backup of servers. Both are good, but if I compare Avamar and Commvault, Avamar is better than Commvault. Avamar has hardware, but Commvault is a software-based solution.

What is most valuable?

Prior to implementation of Commvault, we were doing backups manually; shut down the virtual machines, do backups of entire machines, and then restart the machines. The administrative time has been drastically reduced now.

We used do manual backups of every virtual machine. A machine of 50GB would take around two hours to backup. This is the downtime. We had to shut down the machines and take the backup. But with Commvault, the major benefit is that we never shut down the machines. Every server is online and the backup is also online. So we reduce the downtime and administrative overhead.

What needs improvement?

The setup is complex. It's not simple to install the machine and start a backup.

Commvault is software based, unlike hardware-type devices.

We have used Commvault the last three to four years.

It is stable. We don't have any problem regarding the core part of Commvault.

The solution is scalable. It's a software-based solution so we just need a license to expand it.

I have Avamar servers that we have recently updated storage-wise and capacity-wise. So we don't have any immediate requirement to increase the licenses of Commvault.

We have the technical support of Commvault, but in cases where little support is required, we call F1 to help us.

The initial setup was complex. The setup was implemented in one day, but the fine-tuning took longer to work through.

It has three to four parts. The server is one, storage is another, and the agent is another. It's not just a simple thing you have installed in a machine and start to do backups. It is a very new product for us, so we needed installation support from a partner. We are not the IT guys. We are a manufacturing industry, and we have a little knowledge of everything but are not really part of each type of hardware and software. It required an expert who had already implemented elsewhere to help us.

We hired a third party, F1 Technologies, a local support partner who implemented the total solution with us.

Commvault's license fee is per server-based for physical machines. For virtual machines, it's a 10 VM one-pack solution. Avamar is just a license for storage capacity-wise, around 8TB to 16TB. It's not based on how many servers you backup. In a price comparison, definitely Avamar is the winner.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate Commvault a seven out of ten.

If your organization does not have many hosts, I would recommend using Commvault. But if you have more than 50 to 100 hosts, Avamar is the better solution as it's more stable than Commvault. When you buy Commvault, you need to buy hardware separately; servers and storages are a different part. With Avamar, you have a complete solution with hardware and software, so it's better.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Their support is very fast when resolving our problems
  • "I can collect the target data, then we connect it to Commvault. There is not another system that can connect to our target database or target storage. This is very important for us, because there is the threat of malware right now. This can protect not only the product, but also the backup data from outside threats."
  • "I would like Commvault to have a feature for cybersecurity threats, e.g. securing the target backup repository. Commvault just started testing and releasing this feature, but it needs to be stabilized."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use Commvault as a backup solution.

I work as a system integrator. We implement and support Commvault in our customers' environments.

We usually deploy the latest major release.

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor, with normal detection, from the regular backup. We can determine whether it is suspicious if the client suddenly has major changes in their data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration with the storage center and support for most applications, databases, and security system platforms that exist on the market.

The user interface for Commvault is quite user-friendly. It is easy to manage the Commvault environment using the user interface.

Commvault Command Center is fully supported and has many features for us to manage the environment.

Commvault is able to do the recovery process from their console, so we don't have to actually log into it. Also, Commvault can direct information to another server. The recovery option is a very good feature.

I can collect the target data, then we connect it to Commvault. There is not another system that can connect to our target database or target storage. This is very important for us, because there is the threat of malware right now. This can protect not only the product, but also the backup data from outside threats.

Commvault supports remote office backup. It backs up the local data, then keeps monitoring and managing it.

What needs improvement?

I would like Commvault to have a feature for cybersecurity threats, e.g. securing the target backup repository. Commvault just started testing and releasing this feature, but it needs to be stabilized.

We have been implementing Commvault for our customers for around three years.

Commvault is very stable.

Commvault is very scalable in terms of the data that Commvault can maintain.

Commvault support is very good and helpful. We receive a lot of help for our problems.

Positive

The deployment of Commvault is pretty straightforward. Commvault can do remote installation for the client. The deployment time depends on the customer's or user's permissions.

One of my customers has seen savings when using Commvault compared to other storage solutions. They compared the price of Commvault with performing maintenance on their backup system, and Commvault's price is competitive versus other backup software.

Commvault helps our customers' admins to minimize the time they spend on backup tasks and other projects. Commvault is very good in terms of performance backup. I think support time has been reduced by around 25% to 30%.

Commvault is quite high in terms of pricing and licensing.

I have also worked with IBM Spectrum Protect and Veeam. Overall, Commvault has better support than other backups. Their support is very fast when resolving our problems.

My customers use dedupe applications, so we don't use Commvault's feature to reduce storage costs.

What other advice do I have?

Commvault is very feature-rich. Its licensing is quite easy to configure, though we must pick the right size for the backup environment so the customer can have the best price.

I would rate Commvault as eight out of 10.

Marditsa Daremas
Services Manager at MTI Systems
It gets more user-friendly with each version
  • "We specialize in Commvault and IntelliSnap. Commvault covers all our customers' backup needs in one system, and they have complete control over their Snapshot backups. Snapshots are important to our customers because of the size of their data sets."
  • "Commvault is a rich system that might scare somebody the first time they see it because it feels so huge."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use all the Commvault modules related to data backup and protection.

How has it helped my organization?

From a real-life experience, I can say it cut down the time our customers spent on backup tasks by about 60 percent.

What is most valuable?

We specialize in Commvault and IntelliSnap. Commvault covers all our customers' backup needs in one system, and they have complete control over their Snapshot backups. Snapshots are important to our customers because of the size of their data sets. Data has become so big in recent years that traditional backup methods are no longer helpful. Commvault's interface gets more user-friendly with each version. Our customers really like it.

Commvault offers a lot of visibility into the data, which is something that adds great value to the solution. Its ability to work across cloud and on-premises environments are essential for us because our customers have mixed environments, and they want a single interface for managing data protection.

It also provides broad coverage by helping our customers identify unprotected workloads, which is helpful for customers with mixed and complex environments. Our enterprise customers often have systems from various manufacturers, or they've created silos that are connected through their protection system. I also know that Commvault has an excellent anti-ransomware feature, but I don't have any hands-on experience with it.

I've been using Commvault for seven years.

Commvault is very stable and mature.

Scalability was also not an issue. Every time we needed to scale the system for a customer, we could do it easily. On average, our clients are working with around 500 terabytes, and they're doing thousands of backup jobs on a daily basis.

I had no complaints, but I sometimes felt we needed more direct access to support instead of going through emails and an automated system. During emergencies, I would like to be able to pick up the phone and talk to somebody directly. Overall, I rate Commvault support eight out of 10.

Positive

Setting up Commvault was somewhat complex for the implementations we did. A lot of preparation went into setting up the hardware that would support CommVault and also the network. In total, it took us about three working days.

I have a little experience with Veeam, and that's about it. I've also worked with a few legacy products that might not exist anymore. One was called NetVault, I believe, or something like that. So far, I feel like CommVault is more of an enterprise solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Commvault 10 out of 10. It's full of features. Commvault is a rich system that might scare somebody the first time they see it because it feels so huge. There are thousands of options. On the other hand, if you understand the architecture and the logic behind it, it's the perfect way to do whatever you need. Because there are so many options, you will definitely find a way to address your needs. Everything is supported, and there is nothing it cannot do.

Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with good pricing and a reliable performance
  • "The diversity on offer is very, very good. Everything is supported. It's great."
  • "It would be a bit unfair to say that it's complex, due to the fact that it supports so many different workloads, however, if there's anything that is a bit of a shortcoming, then it's the fact that there's a bit of complexity involved when dealing with the product."

What is our primary use case?

I both use the solution myself and provide services to my clients using the product. Mainly, I use the product for virtual machine backup, Office 365 backup, file servers, SQL Service, Oracle, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The diversity on offer is very, very good. Everything is supported. It's great.

The product has a very close partnership with Microsoft with regards to the current implementation, and always has the latest support - or, rather, the support for the latest iteration of software provided by Microsoft or Oracle. It's excellent in that sense.

The solution has been quite stable. It offers reliable performance.

The solution is very scalable.

The pricing is quite good. We have no complaints in that area.

What needs improvement?

It would be a bit unfair to say that it's complex, due to the fact that it supports so many different workloads, however, if there's anything that is a bit of a shortcoming, then it's the fact that there's a bit of complexity involved when dealing with the product.

It should be easier to implement for tech people. Right now, it's quite difficult.

I've been working with the solution for 16 years or so. It's been well over a decade. I've got a lot of years under my belt with it.

The stability of the product is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. There shouldn't be any issues.

We might have about 150 users on the solution currently.

We've been in touch with technical support many times. They're okay. Just good, not great.

Sometimes there are people, personnel, that are not that well educated. Sometimes I know more than the person I'm talking to and they are supposed to be helping me with technical problems. It's just not going to work.

The initial setup can but a bit complex. It can be a bit difficult to implement, even for someone with a good amount of experience.

We have about 10 engineers that can handle the deployment and maintenance aspects of the product.

The pricing is quite reasonable and more than fair. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are official partners with Commvault. I'm a consultant.

I would advise companies considering the solution to first check out a trial or a demo and to evaluate if it's the right solution for them. If you have a very diverse data center set up, then it's likely going to be good for you. They have a strong implementation of Office 365 backup capabilities. If a company is using 365, it's going to be quite useful.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's quite robust and already has all of the features we need. Of course, its level of diversity has been great. We're quite satisfied with it overall.

Download our free Commvault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.