IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Box OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Box is #1 ranked solution in top Digital Asset Management tools, #1 ranked solution in top Document Management Software, #2 ranked solution in top Enterprise Content Management tools, #2 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms, and #7 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage tools. PeerSpot users give Box an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Box is most commonly compared to SharePoint: Box vs SharePoint. Box is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Box Buyer's Guide

Download the Box Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Box?
Box is a Modern Content Management Platform for companies of all sizes and industries. The difference that Box brings is that it offers the security and controls admins need with the sharing and collaboration capabilities end users want. Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 43 million users and 62,000 businesses--including 59% of the Fortune 500--trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Box platform provides HIPAA, FINRA, FedRAMP, and many other compliances to go with granular access permissions and advanced security capabilities. By using Box you can sync, share, and collaborate on all types of files, anywhere, on any device - but that's just the beginning. You can choose where to store your data, to manage your own encryption keys, and set workflows to automate content-based processes. You can also assign custom metadata tags to content, watermark sensitive content, and set file retention or legal hold policies. Box has deep, native integrations with Microsoft Office and Outlook, Google Apps for Work, Salesforce, Netsuite, Docusign, Adobe, and many other best-of-breed solutions you may already be using.
Box Customers
GE, Toyota, P&G, Caterpillar, Flex, Schneider Electric, Sally Beauty, Eurostar, AstraZeneca, AirBnB, Whirlpool, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Nationwide, Aeropostale etc
Box Video

Archived Box Reviews (more than two years old)

Vice President APAC Cloud Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A good interface for file sharing and management, but third-party integration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Box as a cloud-based storage service for our employees. We are using it to share documents, such as presentations, between people. Some of our customers have many gigabytes in files and we set up shared access to them using Box.

How has it helped my organization?

It also allows us to maintain and manage all of our documents across the network.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

Box
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Box. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to Box, we used a Microsoft storage solution. We chose Box because of the advantages that it has.

Box is on-par with other similar solutions that are on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Sr. Staff Data Engineer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
A simple end-user experience that offers good options for access control
  • "The application is very light in terms of uploading and downloading files."
  • "Better integration with other solutions is needed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Box for sharing files within our group.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the set of security options that can be set when sharing files with a group. There is a lot of flexibility in that you can assign specific people read-only permissions. It can be done at the object level, or the folder level.

The application is very light in terms of uploading and downloading files.

With respect to the end-user experience, this is a very simple solution.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other solutions is needed. Some use cases require the user to integrate with a document management system, or they may want to do some sort of workflow management. For example, if they want to maintain an integrational ERP system then different departments may have different requirements. The legal team will require a different set of controls than the HR department, and they want to have some sort of workflow as a process. I do these things manually because they are lacking in this product. If an ERP needs a file stored in Box then it should be able to download it directly.

I would like to see an indexing system because without knowing the filename, it is difficult to find what I am looking for amongst thousands of files. It would be nice to have some sort of metadata.

I have been using Box for five or six years.

My team has had no issues in terms of stability. My use case is really simple and straightforward.

With perhaps 200,000 users, we have had no issues with scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

We use several other tools for content management such as Documentum, Alfresco, and SharePoint. The choice of tool depends on the use case.

We have our own in-house team that deploys this product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this type of solution is to first formulate the use case. Box has certain limitations, but it is very plain and easy to use. If you need collaboration in terms of document management then it provides a simple interface that offers differing levels of granularity in terms of access control.

This is a good solution but it does not address all of the use cases for a content management system.

Private Cloud
Box
August 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good folder privacy allows us to responsibly share files between departments
  • "The first thing that we liked about this solution is that administrators do not have access to private folders."
  • "I would like to see improvements made in the ability to integrate with other online sharing systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to store and share our company material between sales, support, and other internal departments.

We are a multinational / multicontinent and multi-time zone company having a cloud-based document management platform enhanced usage and eased deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have reduced physical system disk sharing utilizing Box folders instead.

Sharing folders and files is simpler though we still encounter users sending urls in order to share content instead of using internal Box share links.

Private folders are really private.

What is most valuable?

The first thing that we liked about this solution is that administrators do not have access to private folders. This allowed us to set up folders for our HR and finance departments, as well as the CEO, which are not shared with any of the other administrators.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made in the ability to integrate with other online sharing systems. For example, it has the ability to use both Google Suite and Microsoft Online for sharing, but there are improvements that need to be made in both. With Microsoft Online the number of versions rapidly exceeds the number of versions managed by Box making reverting to a previous version impossible. Large files and files with embedded links don't work well with online collaboration. Integrating with Google Suite requires all users to have a Google Enterprise account thereby rendering it an ineffective integration for our needs. Enhanceing intersystem collaboration is the most important feature for us right now.

Some of the users that we have had come from the Google Docs environment found it a little complicated to understand how the Box sharing works. For the others, it was pretty straightforward.

I have been using this solution for the past six years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

Our contract gives us unlimited storage, and over the years we have increased from two hundred to eleven hundred users. We have not seen any degradation in performance with the users that have been added, so it seems to be scaling well.

For the most part, the technical support for this solution is good. On occasion, we get three answers, but I think that the support that we've had has been good.

Prior to this solution, we were using something called StarTeam. It is more of a source control solution, and not really a file management solution. It was much more complex to use. It was working well for the programmers, but any of the other teams had difficulties. The move to Box was relatively straightforward.

The biggest concern that we had during the setup process was figuring out the best folder structure to create. Once we were past that, it was pretty straightforward.

Our deployment took approximately two months and we had about two hundred users at the time.

Our in-house team, which was mostly myself, handled the deployment.

The pricing of this solution is better than Dropbox.

When we chose this solution we were also looking at Microsoft SharePoint. However, at the time it was pre-cloud and we weren't interested in setting up the SharePoint storage system. The reason is that we are dispersed over several continents and time zones, so having it on-premises was a major concern. Basically, that was the only thing that we looked at, at the time.

We have since compared it to Dropbox, but the pricing was much more expensive than what we were paying for with Box.

We are always looking for better solutions if they exist.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has evolved and improved over the past six years. Originally, we had some issues with locking files when somebody was using it. This has been improved. Also, we had a lot of issues with duplicate files because of the fact that two people were opening the same file and modifying it. We ended up having two versions of the same file and we needed to manually merge the changes that were made in both. This is something else that has improved a lot.

The suitability of this solution really depends on the needs and requirements. Some of the former Google Docs users found the sharing complex, so it depends on where you are coming from and what you are looking to do.

The biggest lesson that I have learned using this solution is that some people assume it's very simple to understand the pointers. However, there are some important things to understand with respect to the differences between how to share a file or folder, and some people find it a little complicated to use. It's really a matter of a five-minute instruction, and then they've got the right answers and can use it better. I think that the most important thing is to communicate to the users how to differentiate the best way to use it so that they understand the idea behind it. Also, to explain to people that there's a lot of independence, but you need to understand the use case to do it correctly.

IT Program Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
We use Box for cloud storage, allowing us to focus on the service instead of maintaining infrastructure.
  • "Using Box for cloud storage allows us to focus on the service and maintaining infrastructure."
  • "Improvements in speed - Box's high level of security impacts performance, especially when compared with other similar services."

What is most valuable?

First, the device-agnostic cloud storage and collaboration. When we first deployed Box, we managed all of our own storage. Using Box for cloud storage allows us to focus on the service and maintaining infrastructure. Box has a number of nice features such as mobile apps for access to files; ability to collaborate easily with anyone, on campus or off; special collaboration and sharing features, such as emailing attachments to folders, embed widgets to upload or interact with files, and more. The introduction of Box Drive makes using Box on the desktop a joy.

How has it helped my organization?

Faculty, staff and students can collaborate with their peers on and off campus. Members of the University community have found many creative ways to use the platform. In some cases, they were able to really streamline processes and in others they were able to do things they never could before. Some units have migrated their content and processes from on premises storage to Box, saving money and time, and putting the power of collaboration into the hands of the users instead of requiring admin intervention.

What needs improvement?

Support for larger files.

Improvements in speed - Box's high level of security impacts performance, especially when compared with other similar services. While it's understandable, it's annoying.

We've used it since 2012.

Nothing major. We were early adopters of Single Sign On with Box, so we had to do some heavy lifting there. However, with the work we and others have done with Box, this has become much simpler and more straightforward. We deploy the service as an opt in, so we did not need to do a broad scale forklift of content from old systems to Box.

Box has been very stable for us. Only rarely are there any performance issues and these are usually degradations of a particular function.

We've deployed it campus wide and currently have nearly 100K active users - a very large deployment. We have not had any issues with scalability from the user perspective. That's been rock solid. However, we have had scale issues with the admin console. With our number of users, sometimes reports can't complete or queries take a very long time. Box is addressing that now with new reporting technology.

Excellent. Our dedicated Customer Success Manager is very attentive and very committed to giving us a good experience with Box.

Once you reach the right people it's excellent. Like with many help desks, our scale means that we often have more familiarity with the product then their frontline help desk staff, so sometimes it's a challenge to get to the right level.

This was our first foray into cloud storage and collaboration.

As I mentioned above, SSO was tricky to set up. We were able to get it all going in just a few months, though.

In house, working directly with Box.

Our pricing and licensing is excellent. I'd tell all Higher Ed customers to talk with Internet2 for excellent pricing and support.

We worked with a team of other universities and Internet2. That team explored the cloud storage market at the time. Box was the best offering we found.

What other advice do I have?

Leverage the existing community of expertise out there. Ask the sales rep to put you in touch with other customers. We're happy to talk with folks looking to deploy Box.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We serve on the Internet2 Net+Box Advisory Board.
it_user370806 - PeerSpot reviewer
Informationsspezialist/Generalist at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
There is no easier way to publish a document to the web.
  • "Office Integration. The full integration into the Microsoft Office products is just perfect."
  • "Data privacy, regarding where to store your data: Offering several transparent(!) options (where to store my data and whether to sync back or not and where to sync) regarding the local law situations (USA, EU, Switzerland!) would increase the credibility of a US based company (after NSA ‘snooping’)."

What is most valuable?

• IFRAME Widget (To publish documents on another web page). Most of the best CMSs don’t offer any good DMS features. Not even many products as an add-on or plug-in. So why not take one of the best DMS (box) on the market and integrate (embed) the functionality for publishing public documents? Or even better, integrate box as a secure extranet for your business.
  • Office Integration. The full integration into the Microsoft Office products is just perfect.
  • Versioning (Version History). This feature allows previous versions of files to be stored all in one place, allowing you to quickly find and restore previous versions of your content. Or even better, real-time co-authoring in Box for Office Online
  • Document Preview. Previewing and collaborating without ever having to open a desktop application or download the content to a computer.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no easier way to publish a (new) document to the web (via the IFRAME widget). Just put the file in the right place!

What needs improvement?

In Switzerland, many firms of different sectors face strict regulations around where their files are stored, leaving them with a limited set of options, and keeping many of these enterprises stuck on legacy infrastructure. Box Zones is a good initiative or start, but its not perfect at all.

I have used Box from 2012 until today.

We have not had stability problems.

We have not had scalability problems.

I rate support 8/10.

We used Dropbox, SugarSync, and Google Drive.

Setup was pretty much straightforward.

A business account has a minimum of three users. If you are more than three people in-house, go for the Enterprise version. All the external users are free of charge.

We looked at Dropbox, ownCloud, Google Drive.

What other advice do I have?

Check first all the possibilities where to store the data. (Where are the data servers located and how are they synchronized/mirrored.)

IS administrator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides file sharing and sync for internal and external customers.

What is most valuable?

Simple file sharing and sync for internal and external customers.

How has it helped my organization?

File sharing for projects and other unique activities have been greatly enhanced.

What needs improvement?

Maturity of the enterprise security around user management.

We have been using this solution between two and five years.

There were no deployment issues. Box consulting services provided an excellent, repeatable process to follow.

There were no stability issues.

Core functionality remains solid.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give customer service a rating of 7/10. Most support organizations have room to get better.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

We had a previous solution and we still use it. We provide options for users to select the best of breed of two solutions.

The setup was mostly straightforward. The light weight/simplicity of the solution is one of the leading features.

We implemented in-house with Box consulting services.

Manager, Project Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Technical support people really know their stuff, Great service.

What needs improvement?

I truly believe that Box should have a box consulting division which would really enable customers who do not necessarily want to work with ISV's. I mean a division who could really help write business specific apps.

9 months

Not really

Not until now

No issues encountered so far, except for large files (we have some 50GB+ files who we now have to split up

Great!

Technical support people really know their stuff, Great service.

Yes, OneDrive for business, but we had a lot of problems with instability

Very straightforward, we got it setup for about a thousand people in less than a day

In-house

I believe it is a great product and priced very well so I can only recommend it

Yes, OneDrive for business

it_user508548 - PeerSpot reviewer
User with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Box messaging has really revamped communication with in my company.The ability to collaborate around data anywhere, anytime is the most powerful features of Box.

What needs improvement?

Box is extremely user friendly, however our clients have been having a hard time adjusting and understanding Box. It would be nice to have a more seamless integration with clients.

1 year

Superb service. All of our questions are always answered in a timely manner.

IS administrator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
  • "The ability to collaborate around data anywhere, anytime is the most powerful features of Box."
  • "Like all cloud platforms, there are always areas of improvement around sync to local devices."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The word Box has become a verb at Morehouse College. The Students, Faculty and Staff are constantly pushing the limits of the Box.com platform by finding ever more creative ways to use it!

One of the greatest things is that they have not hit any limits.

What needs improvement?

Like all cloud platforms, there are always areas of improvement around sync to local devices. We are very EXCITED about the soon to be released Box Desktop for streamed file content. We are looking to beta the tool!

We have been on the Box.com platform for almost three years.

We initially tried a low tech approach to our data migration that failed, too much data to simply push over the internet; in comes SkySync to the rescue. We used SkySync to migrate files and permission from our Windows fileserver to the Box.com platform.

Box.com is one of our Premier Technical Partners!

They take ownership of any issues, and work them quickly to resolution.

We were complexity on premises, prior to our move to Box.com

The more you plan the better your migration will go, you must pay careful attention to the differences in permission structures.

Have not run detailed numbers yet, though we plan to. The reduction in risk alone on PII, HIPAA and FERPA will be huge factors in our ROI calculations.

I'm in Higher Ed, so we purchase through Internet2-Net+. I absolutely recommend going that route for Higher Ed customers.

Yes, we looked at Dropbox and OneDrive. Box.com had the best compliance matrix for the enterprise that we saw.

What other advice do I have?

Love it!

it_user497307 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Information Technology at a real estate/law firm with 11-50 employees
We are able to monitor the usage of our users, get usage tips and achieve higher user satisfaction.
  • "File sharing, authorization on the back, its ease of use and reliable uptime performance are valuable features of this solution."
  • "The upload speed needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

Better workflow automation. Get notification whenever new files are uploaded.
Comments can be attached as to gain attention.

Design is great as our users work seamlessly to upload, share and organize their files.

Compatibility with all browsers are also key advantages.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we are able to monitor the usage of our users, get usage tips and get higher user satisfaction as compared to our own file sharing system.

I have used this solution for four months.

The upload speed needs improvement.

There were no scalability issues.

The support is great and we are very satisfied.

We used Dropbox before but switched to Box, due to its string support for corporate use.

The setup was very easy and the support team had engaged us right from the start.

Better sign a full year's contract to get a discount.

We looked at Dropbox and ownCloud.

What other advice do I have?

You can use the free trial and evaluate it, before actually jumping into this great product.

CIO at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Provides file sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices.
  • "File sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices: I work on many projects that are multi-organizational, such as with customers, suppliers, or acquisitions."
  • "Tasks and comments could be easier to see, report, search, and manage."

What is most valuable?

• File sharing with collaborators not on the same domain with offline access from multiple devices: I work on many projects that are multi-organizational, such as with customers, suppliers, or acquisitions.
  • Being able to securely invite, share folders, do version control, and comment on files so quickly and easily without using unsecure large email attachments is a major productivity gain.

How has it helped my organization?

We have complex bids with tight deadlines. This involves partners/suppliers and key staff who can work offline, such as on the train, and then sync up their files later when they have WIFI coverage. This allows faster responses and stronger collaboration.

What needs improvement?

Tasks and comments could be easier to see, report, search, and manage.

I think it would benefit from a task full screen with list and sort functionality, then similarly a comments screen with list/filter/sort.

So, rather than looking at individual documents and drilling down to see where comments have been added, you could, for example, view all comments added to documents in a specific folder since a set date, such as last week.

This would be particularly useful on collaboration projects, as you could easily, on the first page, see all of the comments in that project folder. You could, based on you interest, click through to the document where there was a related comment.

We have used this solution for seven years.

There were no stability issues. It was consistently reliable.

There were no scalability issues. Many GBs are stored with 100 guests/clients/suppliers without any issues.

I hardly ever require support. It just works, which is one of the strongest things about it.

We evaluated SharePoint. It was cumbersome to manage, configure, and add new projects. Frankly, it is poor for adding external partners, for syncing, and using across multiple devices (iPhone, iPad, and laptops).

The setup was simple. The only area to learn, as it is different from Active Directory, is how security inherits down folders.

It is expensive per head, as you need the enterprise license to get full security and tools. So negotiate a discount!

We evaluated SharePoint and Dropbox.

What other advice do I have?

Separate internal folders from externally shared ones and lock down the internal security so that staff can't invite non-domain users to internal folders; nice, clear demarcation.

it_user3396 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user3396Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
Top 5Real User

Is Box good for enterprise?

Applications Analyst at a philanthropy with 51-200 employees
Provides dynamic/static content links for referencing on other software platforms.

What is most valuable?

• Sharing content and folders with both internal and external users
  • Editing content seamlessly w/Microsoft Office applications
  • Dynamic/static content links for referencing on other software platforms, such as Yammer and Namely

How has it helped my organization?

Box has allowed us to access, share and edit content seamlessly as an organization.

What needs improvement?

The waterfall methodology for folders does not allow for privatization of folders at the root level, which sometimes may be necessary.

I have been using it for 5 years and counting.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

Information Technologist IV at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data can be accessed without a VPN, special apps or extra authentications.

What is most valuable?

Mobile access, ease-of-sharing, securing data in transit and at rest.

How has it helped my organization?

Flexible workforce. Our employees can access content from anywhere, no-vpn, no special apps, no extra authentications.

What needs improvement?

Integrations, the more integrations the better. Office + Outlook are great but we need more like it.

3 years.

User education in the first year was our toughest challenge.

No, scales excellently.

Good

On premise files storage.

Straightforward

24 months

Straightforward, easy to understand.

Productivity & Collaboration Service manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
File and Folder sharing in the organization and outside of it.

Valuable Features

File and Folder sharing in the organization and outside of it.

Improvements to My Organization

Feature set collaboration, removes sand trap moments and reduction in email.

Room for Improvement

Search function remove layers.

Use of Solution

2 years

I have not had any issues with customer service.

Very good.

Network Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
The features I have found to be most helpful are Collaboration, Security and 3rd Party Integrations.

Valuable Features:

The features I have found to be most helpful over other cloud storage platforms are:

1) Collaboration - just not that it exists, but it is easy and user friendly.  Allowing data that is necessary to be worked on to be brought to the surface.

2) Security - focus on compliance, encryption, enterprise grade management.

3) 3rd Party Integrations - allowing for Box to truly be a platform to be used with other software.

Improvements to My Organization:

Getting data from various locations all over the world into our international headquarters so that we can make better decisions more quickly and get information to our stakeholders.

Room for Improvement:

There are still some management features I would like to see improved, giving more control to IT.  There is a good bit here, but could use a bit more.

it_user420975 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user420975WW Practice Leader in Solution Architecture and Systems Engineering at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP

I think the workflow engine they just added will be another valuable feature

Technical Analyst at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have gotten the most use so far from content storage.

What is most valuable?

We have gotten the most use so far from content storage, but other areas (collaboration, platform) are of keen interest for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has taken us from archaic means of document storage (local server shares) to a completely cloud based and mobile environment. For the first time ever, our sales professionals and managers in the field are able to access company data from anywhere at any time.

We have been using Box since June 2015.

We did, with some password reset struggles which appear to be in the rear view.

We have experienced 2 major outages since deployment and both were resolved within hours of the outage occurring.

Customer service is top notch with having a dedicated customer success manager assigned to the account.

Technical support has some room for improvement, but nothing insurmountable.

We did not use another cloud solution, but we did use on-premise storage.

The initial setup was as easy as it could be. The Box quick start process is very well thought through and well delivered.

We implemented though Box quick start, the level of expertise was very high.

Too soon to have a solid answer here, but all signs point to a very positive one.

it_user484419 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user484419Sr Performance Engineer at a tech vendor

Box had a powerful document storage to a mobile environment. Not only that it has a capability of Sharing and collaborating across files and folders.

Application Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows for document collaboration between external vendors with internal associates

Box is a simple and sleek cloud solution to collaborate/share documents to partners. Easy to use, user friendly tool. Most amazingly it's integration with Office 365 (online) is one of the best features it has other than integrating with other with apps like Salesforce, etc. The widgets feature is amazing to provide a link to upload documents to the external vendors. The drag and drop feature for uploading multiple files at ones. Box capture will allow users to take photos of products and video recording for trainings and store fronts, etc. This uploads directly to box.com. No need to worry about storage space with the enterprise version of box.com.

With this tool we can improve:

• Collaboration between regional partners and US associates
  • Document collaboration between external vendors with internal associates for free.

I would like to see the below additional features:

• Disposition features, record management and retention policies in this application.
Applications Analyst at a philanthropy with 51-200 employees
I can store, edit and share content with others.

Valuable Features:

I can store, edit and share content with others.  I can work and operate seamlessly in a cloud environment.

Improvements to My Organization:

File/Folder collaboration has allowed our users to work together, eliminate silos and reduce unnecessary email.

Room for Improvement:

The Search functionality needs to be more robust and behave like Google Search.

I wish that the Box Search functionality would use the machine learning technology found in Google Searching to perform/track user searches. Currently, when I perform a search in the Global Search toolbar in Box, there is the option to refine my search through filtering by Folder, Owner, Type, and other attributes. This is a good workaround, but eliminating this step would be ideal.

Enterprise Content Management Administrator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Sharing and collaborating across files and folders has been a game changer.
  • "Sharing and collaborating across files and folders has been a massive game changer."
  • "I would love to see the ability to invite collaborators extended to a file level, not just the folder level."

What is most valuable?

Sharing and collaborating across files and folders has been a massive game changer. Also the ability to set Metadata around our content is amazing!

How has it helped my organization?

We've realized that instead of a process taking months, such as the verification of a file, it now takes a matter of days or in some cases just hours!

Since 2013

No, the Box staff helped answer all manner of questions!

None, very stable.

It is easily scalable, we started with a few users and worked our way up. Only minor changes to our folder structures was needed.

I love the staff at Box, they are ALWAYS helpful and able to provide personal support and help.

Very efficient and quick

We were using Sharepoint- what a disaster!

Very straightforward and well let out by the staff at Box.

We did it all internally, it was a lot of work but it was all we had available at the time.

Our main ROI surrounds time, we have reduced turn around times drastically.

The pricing may seem steep at first, but delve into the features and you'll soon realize it is incredible value for what you get.

A few others, but none met the business need we had.

What other advice do I have?

Box is worth is, change is always uncomfortable but our staff love Box!

Collaborate Helpdesk Specialist at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard

Valuable Features:

Box thinks of features before I realize I want them! I love the email upload tool, Box notes real time editing, and integrations with Microsoft Office.

Improvements to My Organization:

Box has given us a single tool to rule them all! Since everyone has access to it, we can expect everyone to have access to whatever we put in it. Also has reduced the use of emailing attachments which is a time saver.

Room for Improvement:

Box Sync is still a bit buggy and it is difficult to get used to not being able to organize your view of folders as it is determined by the owner of the folder.

MSP
The ease of using Box on multi-platforms, including my phone and tablet, along with the collaboration features means I've been able to use it with my family.

Valuable Features:

The ease of using Box on multi-platforms, including my phone and tablet, along with the collaboration features means I've been able to use it with my family (including my non-tech-savvy parents) for simple sharing, as well as with colleagues for team collaboration.

Room for Improvement:

The security settings are such that if I have a folder with subfolders several levels deep, whatever security setting I have for the parent folder gets inherited at all the subfolders. This has been limiting.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
it_user5442 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO with 51-200 employees
Awesome solution that works on many devices...

Valuable Features:

Awesome solution that works on many devices.

Room for Improvement:

I wish the search was faster, like a google search.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great Storage Size, sub-par customer service.

Valuable Features:

Most of the time, they are running a free 50GB for life promotion, which is a pretty good deal.

Room for Improvement:

Only web access for non enterprise customers. Come on guys, Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive all have a syncing feature.The only way to set up a comparable feature is to either:A) Pay for it via an enterprise plan. B) Set up a WebDAV storage link via a disk mount in your OS (Which is slow as molasses and isn't user friendly at all.

Other Advice:

My biggest problem with Box.net is the lack of a free desktop syncing feature. They were the first out of the gate with an Android tablet app and a WebOS tablet app. They were ahead of the game everywhere but where it counted, unfortunately.
it_user420975 - PeerSpot reviewer
MSP

I'm not sure what you mean when you say no sync for non enterprise. I use Box Sync for my free personal account, both on windows and my mac, as well as my iPhone and Android phone

Download our free Box Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022