We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Box OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Box is #1 ranked solution in top Digital Asset Management tools, #1 ranked solution in top Document Management Software, #2 ranked solution in top Enterprise Content Management tools, #3 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms, and #5 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage tools. PeerSpot users give Box an average rating of 8 out of 10. Box is most commonly compared to SharePoint: Box vs SharePoint. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Box?
Box is a Modern Content Management Platform for companies of all sizes and industries. The difference that Box brings is that it offers the security and controls admins need with the sharing and collaboration capabilities end users want. Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 43 million users and 62,000 businesses--including 59% of the Fortune 500--trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Box platform provides HIPAA, FINRA, FedRAMP, and many other compliances to go with granular access permissions and advanced security capabilities. By using Box you can sync, share, and collaborate on all types of files, anywhere, on any device - but that's just the beginning. You can choose where to store your data, to manage your own encryption keys, and set workflows to automate content-based processes. You can also assign custom metadata tags to content, watermark sensitive content, and set file retention or legal hold policies. Box has deep, native integrations with Microsoft Office and Outlook, Google Apps for Work, Salesforce, Netsuite, Docusign, Adobe, and many other best-of-breed solutions you may already be using.

Download the Enterprise Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Box Customers
GE, Toyota, P&G, Caterpillar, Flex, Schneider Electric, Sally Beauty, Eurostar, AstraZeneca, AirBnB, Whirlpool, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Nationwide, Aeropostale etc
Box Video

Box Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Box pricing:
  • "They are very price competitive when pushed. Initially, they come out with a standard list price, but they are willing to be very competitive. The Box price was pretty much equal to or lower than the Citrix price, and Box has more features."
  • "I believe Box is cheaper than SharePoint."
  • "There's a free version that allows you to use it with almost full-feature access. Even in the free version, it gives you all you need."
  • "We are using the free version of the solution. There is a free version and monthly and yearly subscriptions available."
  • Box Reviews

Robert Nevans
    CEO at CSToday
    Easily collaborate and share information with this feature rich solution
    • "We've never had a penetration. We've never had a security issue that their support didn't solve. We love their audit trail. We can know exactly when a collaborator opens. We love how you can define a collaborator."
    • "I recommend doing the trial first, because it's not cheap ware. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap ware, and enterprise has a minimum number of users."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients' primary use cases are for business, mostly enterprise.

What is most valuable?

One of the coolest features in the enterprise is nominal file requests. Let's say you're getting a tune-up to your state plan, and the law has changed. There is a questionnaire with some documents and the paralegal sends them to you in just a normal email with the custom URL. You don't have to have a Google account for Google Drive or a Microsoft account for OneDrive. The fact that you are within the time window and within the credentialed determination, Box is aware of who does everything. They're the most compliant company we've ever encountered. We never run into a FIPSE or HIPAA or Sox issue with Box because they check every one of the boxes every time. So you never have to worry about that. To finish the story, you get that email, click on that link, fill in some answers on a TLS secure webpage, they give you a place to upload, and you're done.

From our user side or client side, when you hit that submit, you get deposited right in their client file, in your folder. And every one of your answers becomes metadata that will accompany all of your documents, all the way through your journey. This eliminates errors. It eliminates redundancy. It eliminates retyping. It's searchable. It's taggable. Really, really exquisite.

The other thing about Box is that it has a really, really simple installation of the desktop component. And their new one, Box Drive, the users love. It creates a thumbnail, a meta, in your Explorer, whether it's Windows or Mac so everything you have access to in the cloud version you also have in the browser version. It's so easy, especially for older users. We find if they're over 40, then they have a much easier time with Box.

Let me spend a little time on that because that's really important - Box versus other cloud storage. Instead of being one dimensional, it's three dimensional. You can visualize a little matrix. Do you want them to be able to download this thing or just look at it? Do you want them to be able to upload and not download? Do you want them to be able to edit? Do you want them to be able to print? You can inhibit or enable any of those. So you can be dealing with opposing counsel and you don't want them to download, you just want them to see it, because your only responsibility to the court is that they can see it. But you don't want them stealing your work product. Box protects our client's intellectual property while allowing them to do business. So it's really exquisite.

The user interface is straightforward and simple. We also do a bunch of pro bono. One of our clients is sobrietyhouse.org, the largest, oldest, lowest recidivist rate, lowest cost rehab in Colorado. We regularly deploy Box there. We've tried to help this year with Save the Stages, with helping various musicians and other creators. This is a good example of how flexible Box is.

In our corporate account, we will have extremely confidential information. We can create a folder set, share it to a band in Boulder and let them use that to collaborate vids, MP3s, tracks. Everything that they're trying to get ready for their Facebook Watch. And we can jump on and help. Box Note is like notepad, but 100 people can be on at the same time, tuning and perfecting, which works beautifully for lyric development.

That's completely isolated, works fine, costs them nothing. It's subsumed under our umbrella Box enterprise account. Because we have an unlimited number of external users we can add it's got a good genome. Yet, it wasn't designed by marketing people. It was designed by engineers and people who actually did work for a living.

I have been using Box for about nine years.

I recommend doing the trial first, because it's not cheap ware. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap ware, and enterprise has a minimum number of users. Of course, it's nothing for us because we were well in excess to that minimum. But check your pricing. Don't think that just because Google Drive is cheaper that doesn't make it better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I'd rank Box a 10. And I rank their customer service a 9.5. Because they're not as good as GravityZone, but they're better than anybody else out there.

CEO / PM / Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to use for customers and technologists and allows us to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions
    • "Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists."
    • "I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest Box Enterprise. We use it to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions. The general use cases are really just customer collaborations. It might be in a financial institution working with loans or selling loans. With low interest and COVID, most banks are really pushing the refinance functionality, and it is very important for banks and credit unions and even just loan brokerage companies to be able to securely, easily, and safely get information to and from their customers.

Most of the time, email is not the way to do it because either people don't know how to use email securely or the files are too large to be sent via email. That's why these file-sharing collaboration things are really popular and should be really popular with the financial industry. This is a huge use case right now.

What is most valuable?

Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists.

What needs improvement?

I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have seen cases where the number of people using it in an organization goes as high as 1,000.

Their support was very good. We very rarely need support, but when we did engage them, they were quick to respond and very accurate and complete.

In addition to Box and ShareFile, we also use a product called Egnyte. It is very similar to Box. I would say it is on an equal level with Box. Both Box and Egnyte are better than ShareFile.

We are in a reseller and consulting role for some companies, and some of our customers wanted to go with Box because they're a larger company. It was basically just a perception of financial stability. It was not that there was a concern that Egnyte wasn't stable. It was just a concern that they were a much smaller company. They perceive a large company as a lower risk.

What other advice do I have?

We like this solution, and we prefer to work with the Box consulting team. Basically, for a large company, we would recommend that people work with their professional services just to get things set up quickly and completely. It is possible to do this on your own, but it is faster if you have help from Box. Their pro services are very good.

I would rate Box an eight out of ten. Eight is about as good as somebody is going to get. There is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable to make it a ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Box, Microsoft, IBM and others in Enterprise Content Management. Updated: January 2022.
    564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Associate Data Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Organized and user-friendly with good stability
    • "Box is very user-friendly; more so than SharePoint."
    • "The UI should be faster. Sometimes it lags when switching between documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use Box for sharing content between devices. For example, if a call is received when we are out of the office, we can use Box to patch in and collect the data, off-site. For mobility purposes, It is better than SharePoint.

Within our company, there are just over 50 employees using this solution.

We use it frequently for documentation transfer.

What is most valuable?

Box is very user-friendly; more so than SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, their website doesn't work properly. It could be improved with a better user interface.

The UI should be faster. Sometimes it lags when switching between documents.

Sometimes it is compatible with our other devices, but sometimes it's only allocatable to use in the proper way. It's not really optimized for high compatibility with other devices.

I have been using Box for six months.

The stability is good. I had never experienced any issues with it.

We have a limited document size (no more than 50MB) so we don't have any scalability issues.

Our team doesn't do maintenance, but they do provide some technical support.

I haven't personally contacted technical support.

We also use SharePoint. Overall, I prefer SharePoint over Box; but that's only because I am more familiar with SharePoint as I have used it longer than Box.

Our clients use this solution. I have never been involved with the initial setup.

I believe Box is cheaper than SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool for everything. It's very similar to SharePoint.

I would recommend Box if you are going off-site to meet clients, for mobility purposes. If not, then I would suggest SharePoint.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of eight.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Ahmed Rashad
    Product Manager at Tech-hub
    A free solution that allows us to store, edit, and share files on the cloud
    • "Box is very realistic when it comes to sharing capabilities."
    • "If there was a plugin that added some sort of toolbar in Office, that would be great."

What is most valuable?

Box is very realistic when it comes to sharing capabilities. The editable features and upgrading capabilities are great. You can work on a document online and save it online. The versioning is a very attractive feature. You can check the updates that were made to a document, and trace which edits each team member made. I also like that it prevents updates from occurring while someone is using it.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is still a desktop version; I used to use it in the past. If it's still in use, there should be a Microsoft Office plugin because most of the shareable documents are generated,  represented, or displayed in Microsoft Office. If there was a plugin that added some sort of toolbar in Office, that would be great.

Most of our digital content is now shareable. We can share a post on our Box account from Facebook. We can share a tweet from Twitter on our Box account. For this reason, it needs to be more viewable. Every website has a photo or some sort of location displayed on its website. You can find a logo for YouTube and Facebook and Insta and Twitter. You should be able to do the same with Box.

I have been using Box since 2013.

Box is very stable and secure.

Box is quite scalable, they offer several types of subscriptions. There's a free version that allows you to use it with almost full-feature access. Even in the free version, it gives you all you need.

I use the free version. It provides me with all of the features that I need.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use this solution. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of nine.

Implementation Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
    Good document collaboration and many pricing options available
    • "The collaboration of the solution is good."
    • "If you want to delete something in Box, you have to do it manually, one by one. That was my recent experience. They might have a bulk delete, but I could not find that option. If you want to delete something, you have to go to each and every file and delete it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Box for collaboration with files or folders. If you have a business Box account, then it can meet the need of their business. Our use is mostly for collaboration, especially on the documentation. They have competition with OneDrive.

What is most valuable?

The collaboration of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

I have used Box within the past 12 months.

I have used Dropbox.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate Box a nine out of ten.

Vice President APAC Cloud Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Leaderboard
    A good interface for file sharing and management, but third-party integration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Box as a cloud-based storage service for our employees. We are using it to share documents, such as presentations, between people. Some of our customers have many gigabytes in files and we set up shared access to them using Box.

How has it helped my organization?

It also allows us to maintain and manage all of our documents across the network.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Which solution did I use previously

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to Box, we used a Microsoft storage solution. We chose Box because of the advantages that it has.

Box is on-par with other similar solutions that are on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.