IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Bacula Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bacula Enterprise is #19 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Bacula Enterprise an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Bacula Enterprise is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Bacula Enterprise vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Bacula Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Bacula Enterprise?

Bacula Enterprise is a highly scalable, especially robust and secure data backup and recovery software. Its unique low cost subscription model empowers data centers to truly escape data volume price traps. With a high degree of flexibility and customizability, Bacula offers native integration with a wide range of hypervisors, databases, file systems, cloud interfaces and containers. High numbers of enterprise organizations worldwide (incl. NASA, Bank of Austria, Swisscom or Sky PLC) have adopted Bacula Enterprise backup software in mission critical environments because of its advanced features and ability to handle high data volume at very low cost.

Bacula Enterprise Customers

NASA, SwissCom, Navisite, Turner Studios, Bank Austria, Caixa Bank, SdV Plurimedia, Leibniz University Hannover, Zeta Global, Tricore, NetLog, Siemens, LocaWeb, wbsGo, itesys, Queens School of Computing, Escrypt.

Bacula Enterprise Video

Bacula Enterprise Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bacula Enterprise pricing:
"We have a perpetual license."

Bacula Enterprise Reviews

Roni Alvarenga Ferraresso - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Information Technology and Telecommunications at Câmara Municipal de Campinas
Easy to use with many useful plugins and extremely helpful technical support
  • "The solution has extensive documentation and a very active community."
  • "A more user-friendly interface (GUI) can be developed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a government agency, a Legislative Chamber, and we produce information on legislation and also content for public television. All this data needs protection and availability, quickly, even in the event of a serious failure of our environment. We use everything from Unix-Like servers (FreeBSD, RHEL, Debian) to Windows servers. There are also Oracle, MariaDB, and SQLServer databases. We have a very heterogeneous environment.

Bacula Enterprise converges with our needs. It has plugins for all our systems and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Bacula is extremely easy to use - both for performing backups and restoring. It guarantees a horizontal growth of your structure in a very simple and uncomplicated way.

Performing a restore or a point-in-time backup is simple and fast. In addition, Bacula Enterprise generates a very low load on the data network structure while not causing major discomfort to end-users.

A point that is undoubtedly extremely relevant is their support. The professionals are always willing to solve our demands quickly and with high quality.

What is most valuable?

The different plugins make a big difference. In my point of view, there are plugins for practically any situation. Today, we have seven plugins acquired and, depending on the emergence of new solutions that we use, we can easily find them with Bacula.

Its licensing method is transparent, easy to understand, and simple to calculate. In addition to not being expensive, the investment is relatively low.

Also, the solution has extensive documentation and a very active community. We were able to find a lot of documentation, help, and users in our country.

What needs improvement?

A more user-friendly interface (GUI) can be developed.

I would also like a mobile application to manage the Bacula Enterprise environment where I could perform backups and restores directly from my cell phone or tablet. Relying solely on a desktop is a bit frustrating as its GUI isn't exactly responsive.

They need a clearer and faster restore screen to get the information about the data we want to restore; it's a little uncomfortable to find the files to restore on the current screens.

Backup and Recovery Software
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our organization has been using Bacula Enterprise since 2016. Previously, we used the open-source version of the tool.

The solution presents a good level of stability. Normally, what causes some instability are problems related to the hosts where the clients are installed.

The product is easy to scale, as its structure is built on a Linux operating system. Increasing your storage, processing, and memory volumes are very simple.

I tend to be a very active customer regarding the support of the products I purchase, so I end up being very demanding. Bacula Enterprise, so far, has never let us down with their service and support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used the open-source version before.

The implementation was accompanied by the Bacula Enterprise support team. For this reason, it became very simple to implement.

The deployment was carried out with the help of the Bacula Enterprise team. Regarding the level of expertise of the professionals, we can say that it is extremely high. There were not a lot of questions that we asked that they did not know how to answer.

The ROI is evident when we need to perform backups and restores. Both are always complete and with a high level of performance.

Licensing itself does not require a high investment, however, it is necessary to consider the acquisition of tape libraries, cloud storage, or other solutions that the institution may want.

We decided not to evaluate other solutions since open-source served us and, consequently, the enterprise version could also.

What other advice do I have?

I'd like to reinforce that Bacula Enterprise's support is excellent. It's definitely one of its strongest points.

reviewer1797963 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Administrator - Storage Engineer at NanoImaging Services, Inc.
User
Powerful, easy to use, and multi-platform friendly
  • "It can be used in virtually any environment we have onsite."
  • "We would like to see an improvement in the functionality of the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

Bacula is an extremely versatile backup tool.

We have been using it for several years and we are very satisfied with how easy it is to configure and set up and run backups.

We have petabytes of images to backup on a daily basis. We have five servers constantly creating images and Bacula makes it easy to organize the images and backup the data.

We like how the backup can be queued to run as one big stream on the tape, rather than having the tape run back and forth or stopping between files. This saves us on tape wear and tear.

How has it helped my organization?

Bacula plays an important role in our data backups.

Bacula has improved our organization by making it easy to backup the required images and being able to organize the ones that need longer retention periods and the ones that don't. We like how Bacuala is flexible in configuring jobs and schedules.

Data backups are always an issue of great importance for our organization and with this product, we get that. Having a tool like this gives us peace of mind in terms of capacity, which is essential to our company.

What is most valuable?

We like the ease of use and how powerful the tool can be. We like how the tool is very multi-platform friendly. It can be used in virtually any environment we have onsite.

We also like how Bacula is highly scalable. We like that Bacula can grow with our environment as we add more servers and client machines to our network. We like how one can recover one or more files chosen interactively either for the current backup or a backup before a specified date and time. This makes it easy for our IT staff to restore requested files.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see an improvement in the functionality of the GUI.

It can be a little tough if you are not very familiar with programming, editing a file by hand can create mistakes if the person doesn't know what they are doing.  They should let the GUI have more functionality in order to have someone not as experienced be able to administer the backups.

Also, we would like to see Bacula be able to write to multiple tape drives in parallel. For example, sending a single backup over multiple tapes.

We have been using this solution for about two years now.

We did not have another product; this was our first backup solution.

It is very cost friendly!

We did evaluate other options. That information is confidential.

Backup and Recovery Software
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Database Administrato at Molecular Health GmbH
User
World-class support, with great plugins and and fair pricing
  • "It is easy to scale Bacula Enterprise even if your system is growing tremendously in data and servers."
  • "The initial setup could be a bit easier."

What is our primary use case?

We've got a health care enterprise that holds a lot of refined and personal data that should be safe even after a complete system crash. Our environment is widely heterogeneous using Linux, Windows, and OSX as operating and PostgreSQL, Oracle, SAP HANA, and MySQL as database management systems.

The ease in getting reliable backups of different platforms has been the motivation for choosing Bacula Enterprise Systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to scale Bacula Enterprise even if your system is growing tremendously in data and servers. Our developers often have to get data that has been used some while ago. Bacula Enterprise provides an easy and reliable way to restore the desired data from tapes, disks, or even other storage sources.

Even if we encounter any problems using the software, Bacula Enterprise has outstanding support. Problems are solved within a very short period of time.

What is most valuable?

The PostgreSQL and the Delta plugin are great. We've got a couple of terabyte databases.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be a bit easier. It would be nice to have Oracle and SAP HANA plugins as well, means that we could directly backup and restore our databases using "expdp/impdp" (Oracle) or "export into/import from" (SAP) as it is possible on PostgreSQL via "pg_dump/pg_restore".

I've used the solution for ten years.

We never ever have had any issues regarding lack of stability.

It's very easy to scale and the speed does not suffer.

The support is outstanding and world-class.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not use a different solution previously.

Working on the command line makes it a bit tricky.

We handled it in-house, however, there was excellent support from the guys from Bacula Enterprise.

We've seen a reliable ROI in terms of reliable backups and fast recoveries.

The setup is a bit difficult, however, the pricing is fair.

We also evaluated IBM and VMware.

What other advice do I have?

The support of Bacula Enterprise is outstanding.

Davilson  Aguiar - PeerSpot reviewer
Analista Tecnologia Banco de Dados at Centro de Gestão da Tecnologia da Informação
Very cost-effective and well organized with good compression
  • "It brought many advantages - such as the learning curve being very light."
  • "It could improve its interface or offer a specific screen for the manager of the company."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a complete backup solution for virtual machines and databases in Prodap - Data Processing in Amapá. Its very lean and simple architecture, with its deduplications not covering our network, made our traffic around 60% lighter.

We also like the efficiency of data compression. Even the full dump performed had a gain of around 40%. In our scenario, the DBA team liked it as it wasn't tied to a single database solution. We had a single problem with the OS that many of our operating systems are outdated, however, even so they have a data repository for old versions.

How has it helped my organization?

The impact was well evaluated by the data center team here at our organization. It brought many advantages - such as the learning curve being very light.

Its entire structure is a click away and the dashboard is very presentable to the technical user. It has good management for the more technical user. We have around 300 VMs and we are implementing them through jobs.

It is well organized. Even the triggering of alerts can be organized, so monitoring is not confusing. We have a list here at the company to the centralized email.

What is most valuable?

The solution has had a tremendous impact on our public company. We are now cost-effective and even better on performance with our restorations.

Our team's top rated feature was deduplication before being transferred to the network and not generating a large amount of traffic.

The compression was very easy, which led to it being very efficient, reducing the time to deduplicate. As we have more than one type of storage, the Bacula solution supports several existing backup platforms.

The centralized management brought us simplicity in managing our backups.

What needs improvement?

It could improve its interface or offer a specific screen for the manager of the company. A managerial user who wants more information beyond the operational technician should be able to access it.

It could include greater transparency regarding the volume of data trafficked on the network, as well as the expectation of deduplication.

A more practical strategy could come with a backup policy model as a suggestion for both large and small companies. A simple suggestion is to visually implement the backup time as far as your physical media.

We've used the solution, more or less, for six months.

CEO at Backup Solutions LLC
Reliable, scales well, and has excellent support

What is our primary use case?

I am Bacula Enterprise's executive distributor in Russia.

We provide our details in the NDA.

Bacula Enterprise is used for backups for our clients from various banks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the special plugins such as SAP HANA databases, Microsoft SQL, and various types of virtualization.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for a unique interface that can rule both enterprise and open source editions. Such a thing does not yet exist.

I have been using Bacula Enterprise for six years, with the last 12 months being the most recent.

I am working with version 12.

Bacula Enterprise is very stable.

We have no problems with the scalability of Bacula Enterprise.

Technical support is excellent in my opinion.

It took a day to complete the installation.

We have one system administrator in each organization to maintain this solution.

We have a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely, recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Bacula Enterprise an eight out of ten.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
Updated: July 2022