Avolution ABACUS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Avolution ABACUS is the #5 ranked solution in top Enterprise Architecture Management tools. PeerSpot users give Avolution ABACUS an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Avolution ABACUS is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: Avolution ABACUS vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. Avolution ABACUS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 14% of all views.
Avolution ABACUS Buyer's Guide

Download the Avolution ABACUS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Avolution ABACUS?

ABACUS is the enterprise architecture tool designed to have the quickest time-to-value. You can use it to build and maintain rich visual models from existing company data. ABACUS comes with standard industry frameworks as well as advanced analytic tools and best-in-class roadmapping and reporting functionality.

With Avolution ABACUS You Can:

• Strategize and analyze your organizational architecture with ease using data-driven diagrams
  • Enjoy connected data, models, and metrics across your whole enterprise
  • Work directly and securely in your browser, which is ideal for global teams and remote working

Avolution ABACUS Features:

• Modeling and roadmapping: ABACUS offers a fully provisioned modeling environment for enterprise and IT architecture, strategic planning, and digital business management.
  • Digital collaboration: Avolution ABACUS includes a feature that allows you to set up dashboards so you can tell data stories using business-friendly visualizations.
  • Portfolio management: Anyone can update their own data, which, in turn, reduces the workload of the enterprise architecture team.
  • Data-driven architecture: ABACUS’s data-driven architecture gives you the opportunity to design and automate key calculations using out-of-the-box or simple no-code algorithms.
  • Collaborative data management: Using this feature, you can save time with single sign-on (SSO) and AD Integrations; You can embed directly in MS Teams, Confluence, or other workplace social software.
  • Dynamic data visualizations: ABACUS’s graph view allows you to navigate through systems in a dynamic environment, as opposed to static diagram views.

Avolution ABACUS Benefits:

• Time efficient: Models and roadmaps automatically stay up-to-date, saving your organization a lot of time so you can focus on other priorities instead.
  • Centralized location: With Avolution ABACUS, you can connect all data in one place, keeping everything both consistent and accurate.
  • Full flexibility: ABACUS gives you full flexibility to adapt and configure your own metamodels with ease.
  • Complete visibility: Your whole enterprise can have visibility of the architecture through the use of digital collaboration and visually clear dashboards.
  • Machine learning: With Avolution ABACUS, you can employ machine learning to speed data management and analysis.
  • Spot dependencies: ABACUS helps your organization spot dependencies and impacts that might trip up your projects.
  • Fully customizable: Avolution ABACUS is fully customizable; Select, configure, or adapt your repository and metamodel. You can also automate metrics and analytics specific to your business.

Reviews from Real Users:

Andre W., Enterprise Architect at Enterprise Architecture Perspectives, says, "The most valuable feature is that it has a customizable meta-model, which is key.”

The Lead Enterprise Domain Architects at a financial services firm feels that "The product is easy to use and well-structured for the integrations we need it to make.”

"There are plenty of features available, such as the ability to test applications for issues and a user-friendly dashboard,” says Suresh T., Enterprise Digital Solution Architect at a tech services company.

Avolution ABACUS Customers

Barclays

Avolution ABACUS Video

Avolution ABACUS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Avolution ABACUS pricing:
  • "The pricing is quite good compared to the competition and it is part of the reason we chose the product."
  • "I'm paying on a yearly basis. I don't know whether it's a highly expensive tool or not. I'm getting a single version of it, and I don't have the enterprise part on it because I don't need the server component, and I don't need a web browser component. My estimate would be that it's a very reasonably priced tool given that you don't need to have licenses with everyone in order to get the information and the decision support capabilities out of the tool. You use the enterprise edition on top of the studio, which is the heart of the tool. I am not aware of any additional costs."
  • "The cost of Avolution ABACUS is reasonable, given the features they offer in comparison to other tools."
  • "There is a subscription for this solution. We are on an annual subscription because you sometimes receive special offers the longer you subscribe."
  • Avolution ABACUS Reviews

Storekeeper at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers comprehensive product features; setup is straightforward and self configuring
    • "It's more than just an enterprise architecture tool as it has a lot of nice features, e.g. messaging, simulation, etc."
    • "Having more control over page size is lacking in this product. Print utilization also needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

ABACUS is an Australian product that provides its users with the ability to model different types of enterprise architectural approaches, e.g. Zachman and more. They've got so many models within their product, that depending upon your expertise or experience, you can use this product to do BPM (business process management) modeling to various types of models, roadmaps, etc. It's an enterprise architecture platform.

What is most valuable?

Because I'm focusing on the Zachman framework or the Zachman ontology, and everything else is basically a hybrid of Zachman, I've been using the Zachman approach, the Zachman framework, but it's not really a framework: It's an ontology, so one of the things I love about ABACUS most is that it enables users to utilize and be in touch with all the enterprise architecture models or hybrids that have come out of the Zachman ontology. Because all models or hybrids are all there, this solution provides a better understanding for where enterprise architecture has come from the spinoffs that have happened.

The product features of ABACUS are comprehensive which I also find valuable.

What needs improvement?

I suggested to them one software product development enhancement. It was a way of handling their page. If you can imagine a virtual page, everything on the page is in view when you're only using half of the page.

My suggestion to them was for the application to become more aware of page usage, so that if I'm not using the other half of the page, why keep it in context with the overall view? When I save, then only bring back up that which I've used. Don't bring up the entire page and all the blank spaces or space within it. I suggested for them to have a way of segmenting their page based on the object position and rendering that has been actually drawn out on that page, so they could make better use of the virtual page based on the diagrams or the entities that are within the page.

Whatever they're using to handle what I would call virtual page mapping with the objects that you're drawing on the page, I would have liked to see the product interface be more aware of the dimensions of the overall page that they present, and where the last position of the object that you placed on the page is, and make it go in print. I don't want to see all the free space.

For example, the right margin: If I only used half a page to put an object onto their overall page size which they've allocated virtually, don't give me the free space on the right hand side, just wherever the object is ending. Allow for that and maybe a little bit more, so that the object appears as large as it possibly can be, because it's not just one page.

A drawing can consist of multiple pages. What I want is to be able to draw on the page size set by Abacus, and when it ends up being a four by four virtual page: four individual pages, I don't want my object to go across two and a half pages out of the four pages.

When I say print, get rid of where my object on the right hand side ends or at the bottom, and only render within the page, which could initially be a four by four matrix. Only bring back in the print part of it that which my drawing utilizes, not all of the predetermined four by four matrix: the combination of pages that you provided me for drawing on. In this way, the object when it's actually rendered either in the print mode or on screen is as large as possible, as opposed to just trying to fit it within the dimension of what you predetermined a page size should be.

I've forgotten another product that actually did that quite well, and this is why I was able to suggest to them. I even suggested that they look at that particular product to get the concept. This is what needs to be improved in ABACUS.

Whether or not they've added my suggestion in their research and development life cycle, still remains to be seen. I should follow up this year, and see what they thought. They received it. They thought it was well thought out. I provided them with some samples, because I had experienced another product that did that quite well. I just thought it would be a good thing as a feature. Other than that, I love what they do within their enterprise architectural space as a software solution.

The only one that I found which I would like included in their next release was the utilization of print. Print primarily, if you have a page set up, and you have the ability to have contiguous pages going vertically and horizontally based on the size of your drawings, I would prefer at some time to be able to say that my drawing is one and a half pages as opposed to the full two pages. I would like to be able to say: "Well, hey, this is where my drawing ends."

What I'd like is for this product to fix my drawing. What would be ideal is for it to fix my page size so I'll have control over the page size after I complete my drawing, because that way, when you render it on screen, you get to control the viewpoint or the view size based on the utilization of objects on the page, as opposed to defaulting to what the product says, e.g. "Oh, you've gone onto two pages." When really, I've only used up one and a half of those pages. That's what I was trying to indicate to them. What I'd like is to be able to give you my virtual page size and I'm holding you to that.

I've been using ABACUS for two years. I've used it within the last year.

Avolution ABACUS
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Avolution ABACUS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The technical support for this product was good.

They have fairly extensive support manuals built right in their product.

When I raised questions, or if there were any further concepts that I was willing to dialogue on, they were right there. I could fire off a chat if I didn't understand something from their manuals. They were right there.

Setting up this product was straightforward. It's self configuring. It also has a wonderful set of manuals that helps support its users. The examples they provided were great.

I was fairly impressed with this product. As a previous software developer, I thought it was quite nice.

What other advice do I have?

As a semi-retired consultant in the industry, when I think of solutions that I've experienced: database management solutions and similar solutions I've developed in Oracle, and COTS, a few that I have experienced, they're vague now. I haven't been in that part of the industry for a while. I've been focusing on enterprise architecture, and one of the products that provide enterprise architecture which I have experience with is ABACUS.

I'm still getting familiar with this solution and all that it has available within it.

In terms of utilizing this product, I had two months to utilize it. I used it for a month and I haven't been back to it, because from a software perspective, I've been focused on enterprise architecture as a discipline without the use of a software tool. I've been more focused on the actual discipline of enterprise architecture, from a techniques point of view, rather than a tools point of view, as it's applied to understanding an organization.

The tool only helps to graphically capture information, but I haven't been focused on the tool side from a software point of view for the latter half of 2021. I've been focused on the body of knowledge of enterprise architecture.

I've been reading worldwide and studying from various mentors of this particular discipline. Right now, software is not the practiced area, even though I thought the ABACUS product was great, and you have TOGAF as well. Those are the two heavy hitters in the industry for me.

I thought that ABACUS had a lot to offer, so I chose to spend time on it, and I was looking at it from a software point of view, delivering enterprise architecture. I chose ABACUS initially. At some time though, I may double back and take a look at the TOGAF and the ADM part of what they do with ABACUS, but I'm not yet certain if that's going to be in 2022. I may definitely break it up by half a year, and take some time to actually look at TOGAF from a tools point of view within 2022.

I never really got around to acquiring the product and using it from a licensing point of view. I was evaluating the product as it related to the discipline of utilizing and supporting enterprise architecture. That was my initial interest. I never got around to actually acquiring it, procuring it, and putting it into what I call, functional use for any organization. I was a consultant trying to stay on the curve of understanding what's available to the world of enterprise architecture.

The discipline and the acquisition of a tool for an organization, I never really got into that, although I used the knowledge and passed that on to organizations as I'm practicing as a consultant. No one chose to implement an enterprise architecture tool for the entire organization. They liked the principles, the concepts, some of the road mapping that helped them out from a strategic point of view, but they never went for implementing enterprise architecture to the entire enterprise.

My advice to others thinking about implementing ABACUS is that it all depends as each practitioner will gravitate to whatever features they find best suited for the application, for the business, or for the enterprise. I don't have any hard and fixed advice for implementation, because I never really got to implement it. I saw some features that I liked, and I utilized those features to further my understanding and further my client's understanding for what they were looking for at the time, which was basically how to align things from an as-is perspective to where they think they were going, which came up with roadmaps. That's what I did as a person contracted to do, or to help strategic management understand where they're going based on where they are.

I'm rating this tool an eight out of ten. It's definitely high on my purview of tools within the enterprise architecture scheme of things, because it's more than just that. It's a communications tool as well: meaning that you can work almost like Microsoft Team.

This platform offers more than just the ability to draw diagrams across a multiple set of object management group, the BPM, etc. All those drawings that we have out there in the industry that we utilize across business and science: It has those things in it. Not only does it have that, but it has a work approach as well, similar to a Microsoft Team.

You can function like a Microsoft Team so you could be corresponding and have members of your team looking at your objects, and saying: "This is what I'm trying to do."

Another example is if you implemented an enterprise architecture approach electronically across an organization, and you are now in the real world of putting data into catalogs, and trying to look at it from an as-is point of view to potentially what you're going to work towards in the next five years, then it could function as a simulator, e.g. you could simulate what you're trying to work towards.

ABACUS is a really forward thinking product with a lot of nice features in it. It's not just all talk. It actually works.

Lead Enterprise Domain Architects at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Low cost and high capabilities make this tool a key to successful architecture planning
    • "The technical support is very good. They are responsive and the answers they provide are detailed."
    • "The product is easy to use and well-structured for the integrations we need it to make."
    • "The company needs to update the UML version they are using for the product as it is quite old."
    • "They should take more initiative to implement things that competing products have already come out with."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for handling the enterprise architecture planning in the company. We are in banking debt processing. We are currently using it for handling the application domain architecture.

What is most valuable?

Something that is really valuable to us in using this tool is actually really very simple and generic regarding integrating application data components. Sometimes there is a component in an application that I want to use as a module or whatever as part of something else. Abacus actually provides functionality to make that very easy.

For example, if you are using something like Graph Database you can create integrations to graphically represent data from other sources. The product is structured to support integrations like this. This is the number one most valuable feature.

The second most valuable feature is the automatic detection and generation of the linking to the other applications. This is very good and simplifies using the product dramatically.

What needs improvement?

One of the usual issues that I have and would like to see improved is something I have already talked to the company about through email support. It is regarding the support of UML (Unified Modeling Language). They are supporting a very old release of UML. I think the version of UML that they are supporting is version 2.1. The specification of this UML appeared 11 years ago.

We need this update to manage parts of our modeling more efficiently. It seems Avolution does not think it is something that is of general user interest. We hoped that it was because it is important for what we do. It saves us a lot of time, actually. I hope they will take my suggestion and update it as it will make the product more useful. That is really our main issue for our situational needs.

Some people will not utilize ABACUS as an enterprise solution. But actually, we want to extend the usage of this product and include it in our design detail for our enterprise architecture. To link this solution into our architecture is our ultimate objective.

There are probably some things that Avolution could add to the product to enhance it and keep up with what some other products are introducing. For example, reverse engineering should be supported. It also does not support some of the common programming languages, like Java. I do stay aware of what other competing products are doing and I can see these features in other tools already. It would be good if they were implemented.

We have been using Abacus for one-and-a-half years.

The stability of the product is very good. We have not experienced a single problem with crashing or glitches.

Currently, we have ten licenses. Eight of them are already being utilized. So we have eight current users up and running, and we still have two licenses because we hope to expand usage to other users. But there is no scalability requirement in our set up. If we needed to scale more than the ten licenses that we have, we could just purchase more.

Even though we do not have problems with the product and the stability, we have probably used the technical support team a lot. We sometimes need them for advice on how to implement something or to answer other questions. They are actually very responsive and their responses are very clear.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not have a previous tool to do architectural modeling and planning. ABACUS was our first choice for this type of solution.

The deployment of the solution took one whole week. But actually we needed to spend more time with the tool so that week was not only for the deployment.

The vendor came and led some of our team in training. I remember we were already detailing with Avolution how to do customizations and metadata modeling before they even came here for the training and installation. They came to give us personalized training for two days. Their implementation visit included helping us to deploy the initial metadata model and also the customization of the tool. Considering all that we accomplished, it was really quite fast and a productive week. But all the extra things that we accomplished is why the setup took one week to complete.

The solution has been running for a year-and-a-half. It hardly requires any maintenance. We did one upgrade and that was all the maintenance that has been required. It is even very friendly in its usage of resources and storage. If we needed it, we add it. There is almost no effort required for the maintenance.

One of the reasons why we selected this solution is because it came at a very reasonable price. I can not say it was cheap, but it was reasonable. Other comparable enterprise architecture tools are very expensive or were at the time we were making the choice.

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend this product to people who are considering it. For what it does it is very good and a reasonable price.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Avolution ABACUS as an eight-out-of-ten.

Avolution ABACUS
    December 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Andrew Wykurz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Architect at Enterprise Architecture Perspectives
    Provides decision support capabilities, has unlimited scalability, and is one of the best tools out there
    • "There are a lot of different features, but the business/decision-maker feature, visibility, and dashboards are most valuable."
    • "I use reference models, which are taxonomies, in my EA work. It is a reference model/taxonomy of things with capabilities, sub capabilities, and sub-sub capabilities, so you're working it down. I haven't yet found a simple way to implement that in Abacus. It could be that it is there, but I don't know how to do it."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant, and it is used for making clients realize the capabilities of EA tools. There are not that many people using the tool right now. I use it as an example to get clients to be aware of what potential they have.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easier for the users of the tool to gain in-depth knowledge of how they're operating and the impact of their changes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I use reference models, which are taxonomies, in my EA work. It is a reference model/taxonomy of things with capabilities, sub capabilities, and sub-sub capabilities, so you're working it down. I haven't yet found a simple way to implement that in Abacus. It could be that it is there, but I don't know how to do it.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

Its stability is very good.

It is very scalable. You can have different versions. You can add other features to it. You can have the base implementation, which is more for enterprise architects and people who are inputting the data about the architecture. There is also an enterprise version of it, which is the browser version to give you the business intelligence views, the visualizations, and the dashboards. It has unlimited scalability.

Their support is good. They're based in Australia, and sometimes, I have to wait a couple of hours to get a response, but mostly, it's not a problem. It seems they also have offices in North America.

In the federal government where I do most of my work, they're stuck on a tool called QualiWare. I don't particularly have a high opinion of it due to its complex integration and complex configuration. It is not really easy to use out of the box, and it lacks the decision support capabilities. So, I use the Abacus tool as an example of what enterprise architecture tools should be doing, which is providing decision support capabilities. It is not being used that much, but it is definitely a tool that more people should be using. Abacus is a better tool.

I have used a different solution previously, and it was called Provision by Metastorm. I stopped using Provision pretty much when Metastorm took over it because they stopped developing the real true EA capabilities of the tool. That's when I started searching for a different solution, and I came across Abacus.

I have also played with MEGA HOPEX a few years ago.

It was straightforward. It is installed on my laptop. I'm using it as a single consultant, and it was simple to install it.

Its implementation hasn't been that strong. I am working with a client right now who is looking at purchasing the tool as their initial version and getting started with it.

I'm paying on a yearly basis. I don't know whether it's a highly expensive tool or not. I'm getting a single version of it, and I don't have the enterprise part on it because I don't need the server component, and I don't need a web browser component. My estimate would be that it's a very reasonably priced tool given that you don't need to have licenses with everyone in order to get the information and the decision support capabilities out of the tool. You use the enterprise edition on top of the studio, which is the heart of the tool. I am not aware of any additional costs.

I looked at Mega and a free tool called Archi. I looked at the tools that were in the upper right quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it very strongly. It is one of the best tools out there. At this time, I would rate it a 10 out of 10. I don't rate tens very often, but I believe it is one of the best tools out there.

ImranSarwar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Roadmapping and modeling tool with good portfolio management and end-to-end impact analysis reporting
    • "Scalable and stable tool for roadmapping and modeling, with a good dashboard, end-to-end impact analysis, and portfolio management."
    • "Their local presence in the Middle East could be scaled more, particularly in customer service. It would be good if they'd also have mobile dashboards for executive management out of the box."

What is most valuable?

The portfolio management is really good. The dashboard and the reports for the end-to-end impact analysis are really good. These are the features I found most valuable in Avolution ABACUS.

What needs improvement?

What Avolution ABACUS can improve is their presence in the Middle East, e.g. they could have more partners in the region. Their local presence could also be scaled more, particularly in customer service.

Mobile dashboards for executive management out of the box is a feature I'd like to see in this product in the next release.

I've been using Avolution ABACUS for 10 years. I used it in my previous company, and in my current company, I'm trying to get it, but I'm still waiting on budget approval.

Avolution ABACUS is a stable product.

Avolution ABACUS is scalable. I have used it with complex architecture and in a complex environment where there was a lot of data in the repository. The performance was acceptable. It was good. I've never faced any slowness or hiccup while using it.

The technical support is okay.

As an EA, I didn't have a hands-on experience of setting this tool up myself, because it's the responsibility of a different team, but from the documentation and the interaction with the team, it's not that complex. Avolution ABACUS has a straightforward set up.

The cost of Avolution ABACUS is reasonable, given the features they offer in comparison to other tools. Their price tag is really, really okay.

I evaluated System Architect.

What other advice do I have?

Avolution ABACUS is a really good product. I would rate it the best among the rest.

My rating for Avolution ABACUS will depend on the maturity of the team that uses it. If you're really good and you have good people who understand enterprise architecture, then they can really make good use of the tool. Assuming that the team is mature in enterprise architecture, I would rate this tool an eight out of ten.

Suresh_Thota - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Digital Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    User friendly dashboard, plenty of features, more enhancement needed
    • "There are plenty of features available such as the ability to test applications for issues and a user-friendly dashboard."
    • "In the future, there could be improvements in integration and enhancements."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In the future, there could be improvements in integration and enhancements. A few important enhancements I would like to see would be advanced analytical reports, collective analysis, and real-time analytics. This would increase customer satisfaction.

I have been using the solution for approximately three and a half years.

The solution is stable.

We have had a good experience with technical support. They are helping us handle the digital transformation.

The setup is lightweight and straightforward.

There is a subscription for this solution. We are on an annual subscription because you sometimes receive special offers the longer you subscribe.

I have used three other EA solutions in the past, such as MEGA HOPEX, and this solution is better.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is the leader in enterprise architecture, I would recommend it to others.

I rate Avolution ABACUS a six out of ten.

Download our free Avolution ABACUS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022