VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is the #4 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery as a Service providers. PeerSpot users give VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is most commonly compared to VMware SRM: VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery vs VMware SRM. VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Disaster Recovery as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery?

Datrium Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) with VMware Cloud on AWS is transforming DR with its cloud-native design, built-in backup, instant RTO, and on-demand model. It’s liberating IT from the complexity of legacy DR approaches and standalone backup tools.

For more information, please visit www.datrium.com.

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery was previously known as Datrium DRaaS .

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery Customers

Certainty Home Loans, VPay, ZEON

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery Video

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery pricing:
  • "I would say VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is very expensive in comparison with other available virtualization solutions."
  • "The price of VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery should be lowered in order to compete better in the market."
  • "The pricing is good."
  • VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery Reviews

Bunmi Sadiq - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Syscodes Communications Ltd
    Application can be migrated from one host to another in respects of virtual machines without the user taking notice
    • "We feel the ability to move virtual machines while they are still running to be the most valuable feature."
    • "The automation should be simplified or improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for off-site disaster recovery. A site act as the headquarters, and there is also DR site. This means that we move application data from primary to secondary sites for storage level replication purposes. We also back up our virtual machines and their applications to the DR site. Essentially, we do disaster recovery from the primary site to the DR sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery, we were running on a batch storage solution backup, which was conducted by one of my team members. However, prior to carrying out the copying, he backed up the application to local storage before copying it to the tape drive. This means that the storage controller must be up before copying was made to the tape drive, which clearly precluded the possibility of us restoring the backup. There was nothing we could do when this happened. Now, subsequent to the installation and implementation of the VMware Cloud Solution, there is no need for us to rely solely on a single storage controller. This makes things easy for us once the storage level application replicates our data to the DR site. This means that even if the entire primary site goes down, we can still fall back on the data and the application that is available on the DR site. This allows us to consistently maintain the state of our application and business data.

What is most valuable?

We feel the ability to move virtual machines while they are still running to be the most valuable feature. Consequently, the application can be migrated from one host to another in respects of virtual machines without the user taking notice.

What needs improvement?

The automation should be simplified or improved. Usually throughout the day, during peak periods, one or another task cannot be carried out. Moreover, if one wishes to move large data, the user's application response may be affected. So, it would be best if such tasks can be automated to allow such tasks to be undertaken not during peak periods. As a consequence, this would lessen the impact to the underlying resources.

I would also like to see interoperability between various virtualization and cloud solutions. It would be nice to be able to move my VM from Windows or Hyper-V to VMware and from this to Citrix. The adding of these features would be awesome.

Disaster Recovery as a Service
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, Nutanix and others in Disaster Recovery as a Service. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery since 2012.

The solution is very stable. We have hardly had any issues with it. VMware is perfectly stable, except there is a problem with the underlying hardware infrastructure.

The solution is very scalable. While using it we upgraded from 5.0 to 5.5, from this to 6.0, and from 6.0 to 6.7. As part of this process we also upgrade the underlying hardware. We are able to migrate our data with ease.

I found the support to be excellent. I am in Nigeria and, at the time, so we got the procurement through HPE Nigeria.
    We benefit from VR support with HP, in addition to our support license which, too, is covered.

Before going with VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery we used Windows Backup, solely for backing up the page.

I found the initial setup to be okay. It doesn't require much to accomplish, as it is not very complex. Its installation and commencement are very easy.

The solution took less than a month, perhaps no more than two weeks, for us to deploy.

Yes, the solution was implemented through a vendor. Their customer support and service were excellent.

I feel the solution has given us a very good return on investment since having implemented it in 2012. At the time, I believe we implemented the 5.0 or 5.5. The solution has supported our business over the years and generated tens of millions of dollars in revenues.

I would say VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is very expensive in comparison with other available virtualization solutions.

We did evaluate other solutions before settling on VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery. We are talking about a global company that has a presence in Nigeria and other countries, where the clients were already implementing such solutions in the business units of these countries. As a consequence, we simply adopted the use of VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery. At the time we did contemplate alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is mostly on-premises and private cloud.

There are as many as 100 users in our organization that are using the applications running on VMware.

I rate VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery as at least a nine out of ten.

The advice I would give to others who are considering implementing the solution is that they should do proper planning and make sure their needs are met. Someone who does not have the benefit of experts or support personnel may consider engaging an experienced consultant. This would minimize mistakes.

Mark Arellano - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Straightforward to set up with good components and good scalability
    • "Technical support is very proactive and helpful."
    • "It would be ideal if they added advanced analytics or AI to the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are not an end-user. We are a solutions provider to companies.

What is most valuable?

All of its components are very competitive compared to other solutions. The application, the DR health check, and the scale-out file system are all great. They tailored a lot of technology in the VCDR, which is good. It's a very good solution overall.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is very proactive and helpful.

The solution has proven to be easily scalable.

What needs improvement?

They need to have their own cloud, however, unfortunately, since the solution has been acquired by VMware, I doubt that will be happening.

It is impossible to acquire Datrium data nodes, unfortunately.

It would be ideal if they added advanced analytics or AI to the solution.

We've been working with the solution since before Datrium was acquired by VMware.

In terms of stability, recently, we encountered an issue, however, it has been addressed immediately by support. It's now resolved. For the most part, the solution is stable.

The scalability is pretty good. We just have to ask for additional space. Eventually, it will be guaranteed on demand.

There are many users on the solution. It's a big organization.

One of the good things about the solution is that it has very proactive support there. They are helpful and responsive and we are pleased with the level of assistance they offer.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The solution is very straightforward and easy to set up. The deployment is quick and easy. In our experience, the solution only takes four hours to deploy.

We're integrators and therefore can implement the solution for our clients.

We looked at other solutions, however, the product is a very good technology. We have seen its many advantages as compared to other solutions. For example, the solution has been HCI disaggregated.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

We're an integrator. Our clients use the solution. We are not end-users.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Disaster Recovery as a Service
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Unified Communications Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Exceptional customer service, effective backup feature, and simple installation
    • "The most valuable features are the backup and disaster recovery services."
    • "VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery could improve by enhancing the network bandwidth from the storage."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery as a disaster recovery service and backup as a service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the backup and disaster recovery services.

What needs improvement?

VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery could improve by enhancing the network bandwidth from the storage.

In a future release, I would like to see new functionality or current feature enhancements.

I have been using VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery for a few years.

I have found VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery to be stable.

The scalability of VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is very good.

We have customers in the medium to large-scale enterprise companies.

The technical support provided by VMware is one of the best I have used.

I have used many similar solutions to VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery, such as Veeam and Citrix.

The installation is normally simple for users to fully implement.

The price of VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery should be lowered in order to compete better in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery a nine out of ten.

JoseRamirez1 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at LODES Consultores
    Setup easy, cost is good, with integrated replication

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for us is to replicate without automatization.

What is most valuable?

The AC replication is integrated with a software base, set up cost, and easy installation and configuration.

What needs improvement?

When starting up the replication and converting it to the virtual machine I had some problems. I had to start the process again and that is inconvenient.

I have been using VMware Disaster Recovery for the past five years.

The initial setup is easy depending on the environment you are working with.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Speaker VMware Disaster Recovery a ten out of ten.

Download our free Disaster Recovery as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, Nutanix, and more!
    Updated: November 2022