IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Snowflake Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Snowflake Analytics is #10 ranked solution in top Web Analytics tools and #15 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Snowflake Analytics an average rating of 8 out of 10. Snowflake Analytics is most commonly compared to Amplitude: Snowflake Analytics vs Amplitude. Snowflake Analytics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Snowflake Analytics Buyer's Guide

Download the Snowflake Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Snowflake Analytics?

Conventional data platforms and big data solutions struggle to deliver on their fundamental purpose: to enable any user to work with any data, without limits on scale, performance or flexibility. Whether you’re a data analyst, data scientist, data engineer, or any other business or technology professional, you’ll get more from your data with Snowflake.

To achieve this, we built a new data platform from the ground up for the cloud. It’s designed with a patented new architecture to be the centerpiece for data pipelines, data warehousing, data lakes, data application development, and for building data exchanges to easily and securely share governed data. The result, A platform delivered as a service that’s powerful but simple to use.

Snowflake’s cloud data platform supports a multi-cloud strategy, including a cross-cloud approach to mix and match clouds as you see fit. Snowflake delivers advantages such as global data replication, which means you can move your data to any cloud in any region, without having to re-code your applications or learn new skills.

Snowflake Analytics Customers
Lionsgate, Adobe, Sony, Capital One, Akamai, Deliveroo, Snagajob, Logitech, University of Notre Dame, Runkeeper
Snowflake Analytics Video

Snowflake Analytics Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Snowflake Analytics pricing:
  • "When using Snowflake, you pay based on your usage. They calculate how much CPU has been used. If you use excess warehouse storage, you are charged one credit per hour. If you are in Asia, you are charged $3 per credit. If you have 10 users running parallel with the same excess, you will be charged $30."
  • "Snowflake Analytics is a little more costly than Azure."
  • Snowflake Analytics Reviews

AnujJain - PeerSpot reviewer
    AVP Data Engineering at Genpact - Headstrong
    Good storage and optimization with helpful support
    • "The performance has been good."
    • "We haven't seen any areas that are lacking."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a flexible data warehouse. It can be used for computing and storage. There's also the potential for automation. With Snowflake, you can use the same copy in multiple places. Once your data is on Snowflake, you can have that data differential to reportings. You can start using the analytics on top of it as well.

What is most valuable?

The data integration is great. We don't have to do data pipeline creation or time travel testing.  The storage is good. It's got good optimization. We really like the engineering and the data within Snowflake. The performance has been good. We like how we can have one copy that can be used in multiple places.

What needs improvement?

We haven't seen any areas that are lacking. I can't recall coming across missing features. Over the last two to three years, we haven't had issues.

I've used the solution for almost three years now.
    Snowflake Analytics
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Snowflake Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. A lot of it comes pre-configured and we haven't had any issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

With Snowflake, you are using the cloud, storing data in a cloud. It's scalable for that reason. It's not a problem if you need to have more data or more space.

Typically, the client will have their own support team. We don't really deal with the support side of things.  My understanding is that their support is pretty good and clients are happy with their level of service. They work hard to resolve issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The deployments vary. We first need to understand what the deployment is, and how much data will be pulled. When it comes to implementation, sometimes clients do some revisions and that must be taken into account as well.  You need some expertise. Setting up Snowflake, the installation, configuration, and everything, are all separate skills altogether.  That said, it's not overly difficult. Most of it the things you're doing are automatic value configuring for the grid function.

We are able to handle the initial setup for clients. We collaborate with Snowflake.

We haven't witnessed any ROI, however, it's not really a goal of the solution.

The cost of the solution depends on how much you are using it, and therefore, the pricing can vary from company to company.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Snowflake.  In the last four or five years, Snowflake has actually blown up. Before that, it was quite low in terms of visibility and potential. We have now done multiple engagements on Snowflake. Right now the snowflake is adding the multiple clients we using all editions. We're using a variety of clouds, including AWS and Azure.  I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. While we've done many complex implementations, Snowflake always has a way of simplifying things.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Database administrator terdata at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Data storage and management solution that requires no maintenance and offers easy integration with other systems
    • "The advanced features like time travel, zero copy cloning and scalability have been most useful. Snowflake requires zero maintenance for Data Warehousing on the cloud system."
    • "Moving data from legacy systems to Snowflake is not that easy. There are some cases where processors are not actually compatible with Snowflake."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to move on-prem data to a cloud data warehouse where we have a requirement for more computation storage or when we need a plugin to work with specific technologies like ML, AI and Data Science.

What is most valuable?

The advanced features like time travel, zero copy cloning and scalability have been most useful. Snowflake requires zero maintenance for Data Warehousing on the cloud system. It is more secure compared to any other data platforms that we have used. The tri secret key is the feature that gives a lot of confidence to customers.

What needs improvement?

Moving data from legacy systems to Snowflake is not that easy. There are some cases where processors are not actually compatible with Snowflake. If Snowflake could offer compatible versions of other legacy system objects, that would be more convenient for anyone to move to Snowflake.

When comparing MySQL with Snowflake, MySQL is faster in executing the complex queries compared to Snowflake. This is the only factor where Snowflake lags behind competitors in the market.

I have been using this solution for four and a half years.

This is a scalable solution.

The customer service and support for this solution is good. We had previously failed to retrieve data after the time travel period. We had to raise a ticket with technical support team and they helped us. They charged us for this but were able to help us retrieve it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward. The beauty of Snowflake is that you can select the configuration you need. For example, if you have a requirement of a one terabyte load with high availability and 10 users, Snowflake will set it up for you to match these requirements.

The ROI you receive using this solution depends on your use case and if you are starting from scratch or migrating from a legacy system. We have experienced a 40 to 50% improvement in ROI compared to legacy systems.

When using Snowflake, you pay based on your usage. They calculate how much CPU has been used. If you use excess warehouse storage, you are charged one credit per hour. If you are in Asia, you are charged $3 per credit. If you have 10 users running parallel with the same excess, you will be charged $30.

Pricing for storage is calculated in the same way. You will pay upfront for the storage that you know you will need to consume. There is this option of prepaid consumption as well as post paid consumption. If you pay upfront, you will charged $20 per hour, per terabyte. If you paying after use, you will be charged $40 per terabyte.

What other advice do I have?

There is close to zero maintenance required for this solution.

You don't need to use traditional warehouses, vacuuming or indexing. A database administrator or system admin is not required.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Snowflake Analytics
    June 2022
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MandarGarge - PeerSpot reviewer
    V.P. Digital Transformation at e-Zest Solutions
    Provides great performance and flexibility
    • "Very good flexibility and it offers computation completely decoupled from the storage."
    • "If you have a lot of computations, it becomes very costly."

What is our primary use case?

Snowflake replaces enterprise data warehouses that have traditionally been on-premise and are now managed via the cloud. We are a services company and we create these products for our enterprise customers in a variety of industries including health care, education, travel and tourism. We supply this product and part of my job is to assess its suitability for my enterprise customers. I'm vice president of digital transformation and we are customers of Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

The solution is completely managed which is great. You can create analytical products as a SaaS offering so nothing needs to be installed and it doesn't require any licenses. The solution can run on AWS, Azure and on Google Cloud and you can choose the underlying cloud on which Snowflake creates your databases, uses different services, stores your accounts and stores your data. It offers very good flexibility. It also offers the computation completely decoupled from the storage so you pay fees for computation cost only. If I'm computing for two hours a day but have to store my data permanently, I pay much less for storage. Performance-wise it's a good solution.

What needs improvement?

If you have a lot of computations, it becomes very costly. There can be some complexity when designing your warehouses or enterprise data, but that is based on your requirements and not the underlying warehouse that you choose.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

It's extremely stable because it's backed up, load-balanced and has the elasticity that AWS provides.

The solution is scalable and has the concept of creating virtual resources, so I can buy 10 gigabytes of data capacity, then decide to process that data every day, and it then goes into my storage creating multiple databases, and scales by itself. I don't need any calculations of load or throughput worked out beforehand. For most other similar products, such as RedShift or Azure Synapse, you have to work out your average load versus high peak load, and provision the warehouse. In Snowflake, you don't need to do that, it auto-scales up and down.

Customer service has an admin role, creating virtual warehouses and databases and establishing access. Whenever there's a change or a need for more resources, the Snowflake administrator has to provision for that. The other support is for when all the ETL pipelines and the data warehouse is established, changing anything requires ETL engineers. There's no support needed to manage the infrastructure.

The initial setup is straightforward. You buy an account, create a domain and the number of accounts you need, and that's it. It takes about five minutes.

The solution can become expensive if you need to do a lot of computations.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend Snowflake wherever possible.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Jyothirmai Gopereddy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Azure Manager at Tredence Inc.
    Leaderboard
    Great inbuilt infrastructure but no end-to-end execution of jobs
    • "Snowflake Analytics' most valuable feature is its inbuilt infrastructure for executing queries, which I don't have to manage based on my data volume as it's taken care of by Snowflake."
    • "End-to-end execution of jobs isn't possible with Snowflake, which means we have to do some customization."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Snowflake Analytics for Power BI reports.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

End-to-end execution of jobs isn't possible with Snowflake, which means we have to do some customization. Allowing sequential flow of orchestration would be an improvement. In the next release, Snowflake should include direct integration and communication between other cloud systems.

I've been using Snowflake Analytics for over a week.

Snowflake Analytics is stable.

Snowflake Analytics is scalable.

The initial setup was straightforward, and I would rate the process as four out of five.

Snowflake Analytics is a little more costly than Azure.

What other advice do I have?

Snowflake Analytics is more managed than other cloud offerings, which means I don't have to deal with anything happening in the backend. For those thinking of implementing Snowflake, I advise analyzing the cost, your volume of data, and the number of users. If you have a huge demand on these things, I would recommend choosing Snowflake. I rate Snowflake as seven out of ten.