IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is #5 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools and #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. PeerSpot users give ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management vs Microsoft Azure DevOps. ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management?

ServiceNow provides us an integratd platform that manages both IT Operations as well as the Delivery lifecycle. ... It also, creates the necessary insights to make better business decisions from.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management was previously known as IT Business Management, ServiceNow IT Business Management Suite, ServiceNow ITBM Suite, ServiceNow ITBM.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Customers
Proximus, UNT SYSTEM, SAP SuccessFactors
ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Video

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management pricing:
  • "We have a team of about 6,500 employees across the globe. So, the amount of money I'm going to save by putting the money on the table for the implementation and licenses is very high."
  • "They sell some things in bundles, and it could be handier that some of those things could be sold in another way, like purity models and other packages. Another thing that I'm struggling with is the pricing of ServiceNow's FYE experience, which includes the tools that are positioned for supporting HR."
  • "It is a little expensive. We are in Brazil, and for us, it is a little expensive."
  • "The solution could improve by being less expensive and the pricing model is confusing. Many people are getting charged different amounts. There are additional fees that they are adding on."
  • ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Reviews

Bharat Nutakki - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Manager at YASH Technologies
    Integrates easily with other systems, helps in utilizing resources efficiently, and provides value for money
    • "Everything is valuable. It is tough to choose a particular feature, but project portfolio management along with agile 2.0 are two key product features that I would suggest for services companies like us."
    • "We track salaries or paychecks of the resources. They change from time to time, such as every six months or every year. If they can come up with a default or out-of-the-box feature to manage those multiple payable costs so that we can automatically calculate the project costs rolled up. That would be the coolest feature that we can expect from ServiceNow. We would like to have an automatic feature to manage the payable costs. We should be able to manage or maintain multiple pay costs so that while calculating the project roll-up costs for individual projects, the respective pay costs in a particular period are picked up automatically from the backend. Currently, we have to customize that. It is doable. We have done it but through customization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a services company, and we have implemented ServiceNow ITBM to track our 6,500 or so resources for productivity, project management for our existing customers, and streamlining the demand activities and lead-to-cash activities. It is being used for lead management to demand management, demand management to project management, project management to resource management, and resource management to endpoint management.

What is most valuable?

Everything is valuable. It is tough to choose a particular feature, but project portfolio management along with agile 2.0 are two key product features that I would suggest for services companies like us.

What needs improvement?

We track salaries or paychecks of the resources. They change from time to time, such as every six months or every year. If they can come up with a default or out-of-the-box feature to manage those multiple payable costs so that we can automatically calculate the project costs rolled up. That would be the coolest feature that we can expect from ServiceNow. We would like to have an automatic feature to manage the payable costs. We should be able to manage or maintain multiple pay costs so that while calculating the project roll-up costs for individual projects, the respective pay costs in a particular period are picked up automatically from the backend. Currently, we have to customize that. It is doable. We have done it but through customization. If it can be part of the out-of-the-box functionality, it would be great. It will save a lot of time for partners like us. It will also be beneficial for customers.

I have been using this solution for about six months.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. We are using ServiceNow, and we are also providing more services to our customers in the ServiceNow spectrum. We don't see any issues. Being a cloud solution, availability is not a problem.

It is scalable. There are no issues. We currently have 6,500 users. It is being used by different departments. Delivery teams are using it, which include the developers, testers, project managers, program managers, project leads, delivery managers, and resource managers managing the resources and competencies. The management team, finance team, and part of accounting teams are also utilizing the system.

It is used on a weekly or daily basis. The project accounting team might be using the system on a monthly or biweekly basis depending on the billing frequency of a customer. Developers use it day in and day out for logging their time cards for the tasks allocated to them for a particular project. Project managers use it on a daily or weekly basis to approve timesheets. Similarly, delivery managers use it monthly or biweekly. For competency managers, it could be a daily activity to assess the capacity, do the capacity planning and allocations, and plan new recruitments.

I've used Jira about five or six years ago, but Jira didn't have similar capabilities. In ServiceNow, you can create a demand, and you can also start at the innovation or idea level. You can collect ideas from different stakeholders and systems and convert those ideas to demands. Based on the different budgets allocated to different portfolios, you can get those demands approved and convert them to projects. After that, you can manage those projects by using the agile, waterfall, or a hybrid methodology. You can also use the SAFe methodology to run your product.

Another differentiator is resource planning. You can also plan for your resources at the demand level. You can send resource planning requisitions to your competency managers so that they can be ready with resources for a feature or an upcoming project, or you can create resource plans for direct projects to get soft blocking and hard blocking. It has reports, dashboards, etc. You can easily integrate it with other systems.

It's not complex, but it's all about adaptability. The organization-level change management takes a little bit of time when we try to integrate ServiceNow ITBM with other systems, such as SuccessFactors. We are using SuccessFactors internally to take care of our core HR functionality. I would rate its setup a four out of five in terms of ease.

We are premium partners for ServiceNow.

We get an ROI with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It provides value for money. Without the tool, it is tough to track more than 6,500 resources. In the future, when the team size grows exponentially, it would become literally impossible for any of the competencies, practices, or delivery teams to manage their resources' productivity. It would be hard to know:

• How much I'm getting out of a resource?
    • How much money I'm spending on a resource?
    • How much revenue I'm getting from a particular resource, division, team, or competency?

All these are possible to know by using ServiceNow. It helps us in utilizing the resources to the perfect level to generate more revenue at the same cost.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

reviewer1331706 - PeerSpot reviewer
    I&T Design & Execution Reliability Engineering Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable and scalable, could improve dashboards and visualization
    • "Stable and scalable solution."
    • "Dashboard interface is limited functionally and not very user friendly"

What is our primary use case?

In our company we use this solution on a daily basis as an administration application for reporting, where you can assign incident tickets or trade tickets and the relevant department uses it for follow up on problems or changes that have occurred. I use it to create reports that show our teams where the issues are, what's going well and what can be improved. My colleagues use it from a workflow perspective.

We have different organizations with a centralized help desk that will lock calls into groups of 20 or 30 people. We have a team that builds and customizes it and then we have all kinds of managers that pull out reports. Finally, we have numerous end users working on their own products. We also have external parties that provide services that use this application to work on incident problems and changes.

We are a customer of ServiceNow. I'm in IT design and work as an execution reliability engineer at a financial institution in the Netherlands.

What needs improvement?

One of the key areas important to me is the reporting side. The dashboard interface is limited functionally and is not very user friendly or particularly intuitive so that, for example, if you want to combine or correlate incidents with relevant changes for a report, it's not easily done and makes reporting difficult. It's a gap in the solution. What I do now is take the data from ServiceNow and put it in Power BI for visualizing and for combining data analysis because ServiceNow doesn't give me that option. Also, the performance on the test boarding in my view is quite slow - every time that you change something in the automatic report, your interaction in building the dashboards is really horrible.

For additional features, I think we are now implementing our own chat bot, so they should do a lot more on visualization. I would prefer to have a really nice interface into Power BI if their test board is not up to it.

I've been using this solution for a few years.

Sometimes things are slow but it's a stable solution.

e.g. when making an Report, the response from the system is slow, compared to other products.

- for some actions like approving /submitting an change or problem, it takes several seconds before it finalize the action. This might be related to the database setup, and internal verification/calculation. But the action itsels seems straightforard, and should not take long to submit a record.

- other examples are the api, interface is not fast enought to be used when more than eg 30000 records are retrieved, the api request will most likely timeout. and some Paginating is necessary.

Scalability is quite good, we probably have a couple of thousand users.

We don't need the technical support because we have an internal team that assists when necessary.

The solution is provided to us, we didn't do the setup so I'm not sure about how difficult it was. I assume it's not difficult. I'm a user of the product, and we're on a development operational organization model. The product is managed externally and the service provided to us.

What other advice do I have?

It's a workflow thing so I guess one of the most important things is to really think about your requirements and your process flow because you need to customize to use it out of the box and match your work flow.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management
    July 2022
    620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Application Architect
    Reseller
    Integrates well with our ITSM solution and capable of expansion but the setup is complex
    • "As a product, the primary reason we like it is it gets integrated with our ITSM solution so that we don't have to go for an external product for project management like Jira."
    • "The solution needs a few things in terms of resource management."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product for project resource and finance management.

What is most valuable?

As a product, the primary reason we like it is it gets integrated with our ITSM solution so that we don't have to go for an external product for project management like Jira. It seamlessly integrates with our ITSM. It pretty much has all the features you want to manage. You don't need separate products for your project, your resource, or your finance. It's an integrated solution where the same product will actually get us for all three.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a few things in terms of resource management. It still lags behind some of the company leaders like Workday. It's not yet there yet. The solution, currently, whatever it is, it's very concrete. Customizing it is a bit of a tedious task. That's the one thing I pretty much feel is a downside.

The initial setup is complex.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

It is getting stable, relatively compared to how it was one or two years back. Though it was not up to the mark, it's quite stable now.

Scalability-wise, it's good.

There are around 400 users who are using this.

Technical support is useful. There are a lot of things we incur during implementation, post-implementation, et cetera. There is some technical support that is required.

We are using pretty much each and every product of ServiceNow.

The initial setup is quite complex. It's not easy. I would say its implementation is on the complex side, since, unlike other modules, these are pretty much concept-oriented, and having a successful implementation is a pretty tedious task. It took four to five months to deploy the product.

The deployment was handled by our team in-house. We did not need any help from any integrators or consultants.

Pricing-wise, I can't comment individually on this, as it depends on the region. It depends on the overall number of licenses. It also depends on other factors like what are the other solutions, are the products we are taking from ServiceNow. Generally, it's neither cheap nor very costly. For a customer who has already ServiceNow ITSM and some other products in place, I would say it's moderate.

We have enough products. We have one for project management, a separate one for time management. We had separate things. However, once we were into ServiceNow for ITSM, ITBM was offering all these solutions on the same platform. We didn't look into other options. We decided on ServiceNow to stay within the same umbrella solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner and reseller.

Users should go with this product only if they are already planning to use ServiceNow for other IT like asset management or service management. If they are planning to use ServiceNow, then it makes sense to go with it. Otherwise, it is not necessary to go for ITBM.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Other
    Lead IT Transformation Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Gives you end-to-end information about your whole company all in one place
    • "ServiceNow brings to the market different layers with different pricing, so you can customize. And all the layers are really enterprise-ready."
    • "ServiceNow needs to invest more in integration. That's the only thing. It could always extend its portfolio a little bit."

What is our primary use case?

I'm mostly involved with service management projects.

What is most valuable?

What I like about ServiceNow is how it operates as a complete platform. When I talk about a platform, what I mean is that you have end-to-end information about your whole company all in one place with ServiceNow. This also means that you need to have the layers in place, like the layers for service management, portfolio management, risk management, security, discovery service mapping as well as the iPhone layer and the software asset management layer. If you have all those assets in place, it's quite easy. Then you can do a lot of stuff inside the platform itself. The nice thing about ServiceNow is that it's also an older platform, where you can include and separate other information for more products. Plus the product brings something new to the market. ServiceNow brings to the market different layers with different pricing, so you can customize. And all the layers are really enterprise-ready.

What needs improvement?

ServiceNow needs to invest more in integration. That's the only thing. It could always extend its portfolio a little bit. It doesn't have to extend too far. In some other areas, like enterprise architecture, they already have the tools for it.

I've been using ServiceNow for a few years.

ServiceNow is a very stable and scalable platform.

I have had no issues with ServiceNow's technical support so far.

I find found the setup to be quite easy.

They sell some things in bundles, and it could be handier that some of those things could be sold in another way, like purity models and other packages. Another thing that I'm struggling with is the pricing of ServiceNow's FYE experience, which includes the tools that are positioned for supporting HR.

What other advice do I have?

I would never give service now a 10 because everything could always be better, but I would rate it nine or nine-and-a-half out of 10.

If you are planning to implement ServiceNow, I would consider it from the aspect of business management, especially portfolio management. Don't only look at companies that are mostly using portfolio management for their project portfolio. Portfolio management comprises three main portfolios: investment portfolio, product portfolio, and project portfolio. These are really linked to each other. And the nice thing about business management with ServiceNow is that you can manage all three of these portfolios like they need to be managed.

Daniel Guimaraes - PeerSpot reviewer
    PMO Area Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent tool to manage projects and portfolios, under agile, hybrid or waterfall approaches
    • "We like the status report feature. It is something really valuable."
    • "When we import a really big project with a lot of tasks on it, we face some issues with dependencies. The links between tasks are not working very well. There is definitely room for improvement there. Microsoft Project, in my opinion, is the best option for such a use case."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for portfolio, program and project management.

It was implemented throughout the company and the governance processes of strategic projects are carried out in the system. Different levels of professionals use the system, both in agile, hybrid and waterfall approaches.

How has it helped my organization?

It acts as a single point of truth for our project management. We are able to gather the information in it for reporting. The parameters of project forms act like minimum requirements for the project, enhancing project management skillset.

What is most valuable?

We like the ease of making the dashboards, gathering information of a set of projects, programs and portfolios. Also, the status report feature, embedded with project schedule and financials, makes it an excellent tool for knowledge management during the project. The whole history of the project is there.

The possibility to customize some of the approval flows between a demand, an idea, and a project is another thing that is valuable. We are able to customize it in-house.

What needs improvement?

Import of really big project (hundreds of tasks) done in MSProject, we face some problems with dependencies and subtasks.

Also, currently the 'percent complete' field is purely duration-based, therefore the presence of parallel workstreams limits the usefulness of that metric, since the amount of work being performed every day could be widely varying. An useful metric to be developed would be a 'percent work complete', such as the one available by default in Microsoft Project.

I have been using this solution for one year, since January/21.

We are in Brazil, and for us, it could be a little expensive the licensing for some cases.

Microsoft Project, Planview, Jira Software and some others in the local market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Kees Beets - PeerSpot reviewer
    WW Supply Chain - Strategy and Development - Senior Manager at HP
    Good ticketing and incident tracking, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow IT Business Management for production support.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly.

I have been working with ServiceNow IT Business Management for two years.

We don't have any complaints regarding the stability of ServiceNow IT Business Management.

ServiceNow IT Business Management is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 1,000 users in our company.

At this time, we don't have plans to increase the usage.

I, personally, have not had any interaction with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took three and six months to complete the deployment.

I am not aware of how much we are paying for the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using it as a business management solution, so I would recommend it for ticketing and incident tracking. However, we are not utilizing the entire portfolio.

I would rate ServiceNow IT Business Management an eight out of ten.

Marivaldo Novais - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultor de Governança de TI at GPA
    Good technical support, simple to use, and has good documentation
    • "It's a very complete solution."
    • "The price is too high."

What is most valuable?

The solution has opened many doors for me.

Technical support is good.

It's a very complete solution. Aside from some complex analytics, the rest of the product is very simple and easy to use.

There is some good documentation that you can go over.

What needs improvement?

The price is too high. It's okay for a big company, however, for a medium-sized organization, it may be too much. They should lower the price so smaller companies can also leverage it.

The performance analytics are too difficult and complex for me to figure out very well.

I'd like to read more about the new features before commenting on them.

I've been using the solution for five years.

Technical support is very good. However, I always put someone on with better English when I will need to communicate with them.

The solution is very expensive and best for larger organizations, mostly due to the fact that it would be too costly to use for medium-sized companies.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementer of ServiceNow.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Managing Director at a consumer goods company with 11-50 employees
    Slow support, priced high, but flexible

What is our primary use case?

ServiceNow IT Business Management is used for enterprise service management.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of ServiceNow IT Business Management is flexibility.

What needs improvement?

ServiceNow IT Business Management could improve by adding better artificial intelligence.

I have been using ServiceNow IT Business Management for approximately 10 years.

ServiceNow IT Business Management is stable.

I have found ServiceNow IT Business Management to be scalable.

The technical support from ServiceNow IT Business Management can be slow at times.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ServiceNow IT Business Management a five out of ten.

Download our free ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022