We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Red Hat CloudForms OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Red Hat CloudForms is #12 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give Red Hat CloudForms an average rating of 6 out of 10. Red Hat CloudForms is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Computing: Red Hat CloudForms vs IBM Spectrum Computing. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Red Hat CloudForms?

Manage container, virtual, private, and public cloud infrastructures

Managing a complex, hybrid IT environment can require multiple management tools, redundant policy implementations, and extra staff to handle the operations. Red Hat® CloudForms simplifies IT, providing unified management and operations in a hybrid environment.

As your IT infrastructure progresses from traditional virtualization toward an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) model, CloudForms evolves, protecting your investments and providing consistent user experience and functionality.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Red Hat CloudForms Customers
Cox Automotive, Penn State, FICO, G-ABLE, Seneca College, ITandTEL, The Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (PLUS), MyRepublic, Macquarie, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, CBTS, Network Data Solutions (NDS)
Red Hat CloudForms Video

Red Hat CloudForms Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat CloudForms pricing:
"It is definitely cheaper than VMware. Everything is included. There is no challenge there."

Red Hat CloudForms Reviews

Professional Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Simple interface, seamless multi-tenancy feature, and good scalability, but needs stable updates, better compatibility, and clarity about support
  • "The multi-tenancy feature has been very helpful for our clients. It has been working fine and seamlessly for them. Its interface is also very simplified, and it is also an open and easy-to-scale solution."
  • "Our clients had challenges or issues with the updates. Its updates should be better managed. They should provide quicker and more stable updates. Its stability can also be better. We initially faced ease-of-use and compatibility issues while integrating it. We had a lot of compatibility issues with other products. Our clients are concerned about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Clients are not very clear about the support, and they're not really happy with it. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, they're not really clear about what would be the life cycle of the product, which is a concern for them."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and this solution is used by our clients. They are system service providers in UAE, and they provide infrastructure as a service to their end customers. CloudForms acts like a central console for them to provide the service. It is a central interface.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenancy feature has been very helpful for our clients. It has been working fine and seamlessly for them. Its interface is also very simplified, and it is also an open and easy-to-scale solution.

What needs improvement?

Our clients had challenges or issues with the updates. Its updates should be better managed. They should provide quicker and more stable updates. Its stability can also be better.

We initially faced ease-of-use and compatibility issues while integrating it. We had a lot of compatibility issues with other products.

Our clients are concerned about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Clients are not very clear about the support, and they're not really happy with it. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, they're not really clear about what would be the life cycle of the product, which is a concern for them.

My clients have been using it for almost two years.

We are very happy with its stability, but it can be better. In terms of stability, I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Scalability is not at all a challenge. It is very easy to scale. Our clients are big companies.

Our clients are not really clear about its support going forward. They are not sure about whether it is under IBM or it is still Red Hat. Currently, they're getting support from Red Hat, but going forward, what would be the life cycle of the product is a worry for them.

We also use VMware. CloudForms is more open. In VMware, everything has to go back to VMware services, which is a pain point.

There are also a lot of open resources available for CloudForms. If you have just one guy dedicated to it, it becomes much easier as compared to what we have to do with VMware. VMware is very closed, and that's the reason why our clients chose Red Hat over VMware.

It was pretty straightforward. The full deployment took two weeks. The product itself requires just a day. After that comes the actual work of configuring everything, which sort of takes time.

It was set up by Red Hat. We provide a lot of other services, but for Red Hat, we take the services directly from Red Hat. It is a bit challenging when we have to get our guys to develop the competency to be able to deliver for this particular solution.

In terms of its maintenance, clients have to handle the updates. They have technical resources for this.

It is definitely cheaper than VMware. Everything is included. There is no challenge there.

What other advice do I have?

Its deployment was done by Red Hat for us. We had help from the best experts. I would advise others to get a few days of services from Red Hat so that they are able to get technical expertise from them if required.

I would rate Red Hat CloudForms a seven out of ten. If they had made it a little bit more stable and easier, I would have easily given it an eight.

Matjaž Godec
CoOwner & CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good optimization but is immature and integration is complicated
  • "The optimization of the solution is quite interesting."
  • "The solution is still quite immature."

What is most valuable?

The optimization of the solution is quite interesting. It means we can prepare a bunch of VMs, and of course with self-service provisioning.

What needs improvement?

The solution is still quite immature.

Those CloudForms and similar products are very capable if you are some sort of programmer. It has the infrastructure, however, to actually make it work, you have to program it yourself inside the platform. It's okay as a platform, however, it is not a ready-made product. You have to do a lot of work.

The product is expensive. It would be ideal if they could work on their pricing model.

What I expect from Red Hat is for it to make configurations for common use cases. Red Hat CloudForms allows you to integrate with external sources. Yet, if you want to integrate something, then you have to program it in Ruby in order to integrate. If you want some features with this integration, they also have to be programmed. I know that with other products, it is more of a point and click integration. Often, also, there are knowledge bases or use cases that are already present as point-and-click functionality.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while now.

The stability has been very good so far. We haven't had to deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

While we haven't tried to scale the VMs just yet, for us the scalability has been okay. An organization that needs to expand it should be able to.

Currently, in our company, we only really have four people on the solution that administer it.

We don't use technical support very much due to the fact that we are a very open-source company and are accustomed to doing our own self-support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward and simple. We didn't face any complications during implementation.

The pricing of the solution is quite high. It's something that could be worked on.

We evaluated a few other solutions. We knew the products of VM-Ware and others like Oracle VM and so, however not so much about their cloud management.

We have looked into the OpenStack and implemented some OpenStack, however, it is not quite in the same territory. With CloudForms, for example, we can manage OpenStack, however, OpenStack can manage itself only, and not other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Red Hat.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are using. It's some aspect of version four.

We use both hybrid and on-premises deployment models.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a five.

Hybrid Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, VMware, GigaSpaces and others in Cloud Management. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nitesh Jadhav
Principal Solutions Architect at Tech Mahindra Limited
Good technical support, seamless integration with other open-source tools and very stable
  • "The stability of the solution is very good. We haven't had any issues with it."
  • "The complexity of the solution is a bit high in comparison to VMware."

What is most valuable?

Since it is an open-source software, the integration with other open-source components is seamless. If you're going in, it all depends on which stack you're selecting. If you're selecting open stack, if you want to use microservices, or you want to integrate Kubernetes Docker with Red Hat, this solution is probably the first choice to go with.

What needs improvement?

The complexity of the solution is a bit high in comparison to VMware.

The solution should be made more user-friendly with plug-and-play functionality. It will help companies adopt it quicker.

I've been working with Red Hat for a long time. It's been about ten years.

The stability of the solution is very good. We haven't had any issues with it.

Technical support, most of the time, is good. We haven't had issues with it. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We also use VMware. VMware is very user-friendly and the integration is seamless. Red Hat has good integration with various other components and products as well. The complexity is also higher than VMware's.

The initial setup is a bit complex. It gets sorted out, however, if users are aligned with Red Hat's other professional services.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Red Hat partner. I work as a Principal Solutions Architect.

I'd advise other organizations that, before selecting a product, they must finalize their business department. They should only make a call on the solution if all of their requirements get fulfilled - including compliance. Various products have a level of support compliance that matches with Red Hat, but it's important to check.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Nitesh Jadhav
Principal Solutions Architect at Tech Mahindra Limited
Mature, with good technical support but needs to be more user-friendly
  • "They are a very mature product."
  • "Because the solution needs to integrate with other products that surround it, there is a lot of configuration required, and this can be quite complex. It's not as easy as it is with, for example, VMware."

What is most valuable?

The integration with other open-source tools is pretty good. It integrates particularly well with Kubernates Docker.

They are a very mature product.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more user-friendly. They need to make it more plug-and-play.

I've been working with Red Hat for a long time. It's been about ten years.

The solution is stable, that's not an issue. We haven't had problems with bugs, glitches, or crashes.

We've been in touch with technical support. Most of the time, they are good. We haven't had any problems with them. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide.

I also use VMware. Each has it's own pluses and minuses, although I do find that VMware is easier to configure and integrate with other solutions.

The initial setup can be a bit complex. Once it's sorted out initially, and Red Hat's professional services are aligned, it's okay.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise an organization considering implementing the solution to first, before selecting a product, finalize their business department. They should create a list of all of their requirements to ensure they get fulfilled. That needs to include compliance.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If they made it more user friendly and plug-and-play it would really help people adopt it faster.