Qlik Sense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Qlik Sense is the #1 ranked solution in top Embedded BI Tools and #3 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools. PeerSpot users give Qlik Sense an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Qlik Sense is most commonly compared to Tableau: Qlik Sense vs Tableau. Qlik Sense is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.
Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide

Download the Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Qlik Sense?

Qlik Sense is a visual analytics and business intelligence (BI) platform that gives users full control over their system’s data. From this platform they can control every aspect of their system data. It maximizes an organization’s ability to make decisions driven by their data.

Benefits of Qlik Sense

Some of the benefits of using Qlik Sense include:

• Easily manipulate data: Qlik Sense allows users to easily combine and otherwise manipulate their system’s data. It allows them to create interactive visual representations of your datasets. The many different ways that the data can be represented offer many potential options for how to analyze the data. These choices enable users to easily gain critical insights.
  • Easily automate alerts and routine actions: Qlik Sense enables users to keep a close eye on their data. Automatic alerts that will notify them if their data changes in any way. Users don’t need expert knowledge of coding to create automated data-driven events. Users of all experience levels can take advantage of this benefit. Qlik Sense enables routine actions to be automated when necessary data insights will spur the system to take action. This combination of analytics and other tools empower users to take charge of their data.
  • Customize reporting: Users can set Qlik Sense to generate custom reports. These reports can also be customized to be shared by way of one of several methods, allowing users to control who sees their data and what they see.

Reviews from Real Users

Qlik Sense stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its associative analytics technology and its remote access capability. Qlik Sense employs an associative analytics engine that gives users the ability to take their data analytics to the next level. Users can create visual connections between different datasets spread across their network, creating deep insights that enable users to gain a full understanding of their data. This engine is easily scaled up to allow a large number of users to benefit from the deep insights that it provides. Users can access Qlik Sense from anywhere in the world. Qlik Sense has an online portal that can be used consistently from anywhere at all. Having the ability to remotely analyze data gives users flexibility when it comes to choosing how to deploy their manpower.

Jarno L., the managing director of B2IT, writes, “The associative technology features are the solution's most valuable aspects. Qlik was the first company to implement an in-memory associative analytics engine. This basically means that all data is loaded into memory, but it also means that instead of joining data together, the data is associated together. From the front end, from the user interface point of view, data can be joined or included or excluded on the fly. It can be drilled down and drilled through and users can slice and dice it and that type of thing can be done from anywhere in the data to any other place in the data. It doesn't have to be predefined. It doesn't have to have hierarchies or anything like that.”

Tami S., the senior business intelligence analyst at the La Jolla Group, writes, “With the changing business landscape, it is nice to access Qlik Sense through an external website. As an organization when we use QlikView Desktop, we need to connect to our internal network. We can access QlikView through the QlikView access point but the website has a little different look and feel than the desktop application. We appreciate that Qlik Sense is browser-based and the user experience is the same whether at home, in the office or on a boat. As long as the user has internet access, performance is the same.”

Qlik Sense was previously known as QlikSense.

Qlik Sense Customers

Abbvie, Airbus, Barclays, BT Openreach, BMW, Daimler AG, HSBC, IKEA, Nationwide Building Society, Royal Mail Group, Sanofi, Siemens, Wendy'', Vodafone, Volvo

Qlik Sense Video

Qlik Sense Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Qlik Sense pricing:
  • "We have 20 licenses for Qlik Sense, and it is a special license that allows people in the whole company to use it over time. You buy this license and there are some minutes that can be used. For example, for the users that used only a few minutes in a month, we use this license. All the people have the ability to work with Qlik Sense. However, the number of licenses is not the number of users. The number of users that uses Qlik Sense is approximately 35 people."
  • "I'm not able to reveal the licensing cost for Qlik Sense, but because it was a huge deal, the cost was less than the usual cost. The license wasn't that costly. It was the infrastructure that was very costly."
  • Qlik Sense Reviews

LesCampbell - PeerSpot reviewer
    Audit Data Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Robust solution, but could use a PowerPoint integration
    • "Qlik Sense is essentially a web-based tool even though it's on-prem – you're working off an HTML page – so it's pretty quick. Your processing speed does not matter because you're using a lot of stuff through the web. That's great because it brings down the cost in regards to hardware."
    • "There is room for improvement in the storytelling mode and the report sharing. Qlik Sense also does not have a subscription base like Power BI. So a lot of the analysis is housed in community pages that are managed by either the author or a database administrator, or whoever the Qlik Sense manager is there."

What is our primary use case?

I was working for a power utility company, so our primary use case for Qlik Sense was consumption data and customer billing.

What is most valuable?

At the same time, learning the language is quite easy. It's not SQL, it's not Python, it's natural database language, so you can pick up the usage pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the storytelling mode and the report sharing. Qlik Sense also does not have a subscription base like Power BI. So a lot of the analysis is housed in community pages that are managed by either the author or a database administrator, or whoever the Qlik Sense manager is there. It doesn't lend itself to being shared quite easily, because it requires licensing for viewers to consume.

I would also like to see a PowerPoint integration introduced. Power BI, for example, offers a slide deck that can be downloaded and inserted it into your deck. I'm referring to Power BI because that's what I use the most and that's the standard for me. Tableau has this integration in addition to a superior visualization tool. I think Qlik Sense has a better engine than all the three that I've mentioned, but in regards to sharing the analysis, it's clunky; it's not as good.

I have five years of experience with Qlik Sense.

Qlik Sense
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Qlik Sense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of a solution depends on the process that brings in the data. We had a strong Qlik Sense production data pipeline that is always firing and we didn't have any resource issues where we were running out of space or anything like that. I think that for the most part, any tool will work well if the environment that it's set up on is well prepared.

Qlik Sense does have a lot of connection APIs that you could do. However, I think Microsoft Enterprise customers can run into challenges with it. We were Microsoft Enterprise, so eventually there was going to be some issues in regards to just how this tool was going to be able to grow with the company. I think it really depends on how many systems you have and how ingrained you are with those systems.

The solution does replace a lot of legacy products, which helps reduce costs, but you really do need somebody that knows what they're doing to get all the integrations done right.

The tech support we received was great. They were very knowledgeable and explained things quite well. They were very gracious with their time. Obviously, they were charging us, but they were well trained. We received tech support through our vendor.

Positive

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. However, a lot of expertise from the backend was required from the vendor to get the solution running. So even after Qlik Sense had been deployed, we still had a lot of issues with development and it wasn't very self-service.

As far as maintenance went, from my standpoint, it didn't really feel like there was a big team working on Qlik Sense. I'm sure there was probably scheduled maintenance that was done during off-peak hours and it didn't really disrupt any of the daily production; reports were still running as planned. There was maybe one or two hiccups towards the end before I left, but again, that was during the pandemic, so a lot of things were probably falling behind.

The deployment was done through a vendor, which was a problem. The vendor was ingrained into a lot of the deployment of our analysis and trying to get things off the ground from a proof of concept to production and the expertise was not shared very well with the in-house talent. We were always having to go back to them. That created a revenue stream for them, which became very expensive for us.

Anytime somebody wanted to develop something, we were having to buy hours (paying consultancy charges), and ultimately, it was not sustainable. This model ends up being so much more expensive than deploying something that is a little bit more self-serving and can be deployed across your admin user rates.

It's not a tool that can be the one-all because the license does not cover all the services that a small business or even an enterprise needs to lean on because it requires too much from the vendor to support it.

Qlik Sense is a middle of the road solution in terms of price; just average in regards to pricing. It has a great following because of QlikView and an organization can save money if it goes through Qlik Sense as opposed to doing the full deployment of QlikView. Qlik Sense is a robust solution tool, but it's hard keeping up with the big guys now.

At my company, the licensing had to do more so with having other users, like non-technical users and business users, and enabling them to view the reports and the analysis. So I don't know if they've changed the licensing to a read-only or reader, but at the time when I was there, it was all or nothing. So you basically were a power user or you were just not going to get it.

My organization might have had a deal for 200 seats. I don't know how much a seat cost us though.

IS Sr Reporting Specialist at Community Health Network of Connecticut, Inc.
    User
    Easy to use, provides a self-service environment, and offers high performance
    • "From siloed reports, we went to a centralized knowledge hub, combining cross-functional data, and helping decision-makers see the data as a whole, therefore making more informed decisions."
    • "Ad-hoc reporting capabilities would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

The primary solution was to provide a centralized way to access siloed cross-functional reports.

By using Qlik Sense, we were able to combine data from our BI solution, ERP, and other systems, to provide daily reports, plus analytics capabilities with high performance.

As Qlik Sense is an in-memory solution, the performance is fast and provides real-time insights.

Also, with their ETL capability, we were able to perform ETL without a true data warehouse. It saved us a lot of money by being able to postpone the DW project and gave us time to think of other solutions, like data lakes.

How has it helped my organization?

Also, the self-service capability allowed users to create their own reports on the fly. People from different departments were pulling their data from different sources and presenting their own truth.

With Qlik Sense, and being able to provide a central data hub, we were able to recreate most of the siloed reports, present one truth on the data, and increase the trust of the organization in the data being presented, gaining leadership approval.

What is most valuable?

The ETL capability is great. It facilitated the integration of data from different sources without a true data warehouse. Being able to pull data directly from the ERP system and apply the business rules in Qlik, and combine it with the BI data, decreased the business process time. We had to send every request over to our overseas BI team. Being able to have at least one BI resource in-house who is an expert in Qlik, we decrease the development time and started delivering solutions in a much more timely manner.

The ease of use, providing a self-service environment, and high performance when interacting with the dashboards and reports are all great.

What needs improvement?

Ad-hoc reporting capabilities would be ideal. Despite the solution being a self-service solution, many users still struggle to create their reports. With an easy drag-and-drop style report, it would make a huge difference. There are extensions for that, however, you have to pay them separately.

Having a report publication feature is also very important, and it is not native to the on-prem version. However, Qlik has made huge advancements on the cloud version, and adding the hybrid capabilities, in which we can maintain the data in-house and just publish the dashboards to the cloud, will allow us to soon go to the cloud and have access to all those extra features we are missing on-prem.

I've used the solution for seven years.

The product is very stable. They release three to four updates every year. That way, if bugs come up, they are fixing them in a timely manner. They always listen to the user community and tend to develop what is being requested.

The solution is very scalable, especially the cloud version. Their licensing agreement works really well for large organizations.

The initial support has to come from the vendors, which is something I don't like much, as it can be costly. However, I believe they are starting to provide direct support in certain cases. The use of the Qlik Community is fantastic, as they have experts providing solutions and fixes in a timely manner as well.

Positive

SAP Business Objects. They were very expensive and lacked the dashboard capability side of it. It was also very complex and needed more internal resources. Every request would take longer for it to be developed as well.

The setup was very straightforward. The setup is done through 3rd-party vendors, so you just need to make sure you spend a little more and hire an experienced consulting company for the work.

We implemented it via a vendor. Having the knowledge of experienced consultants doing the work is worth it and can prevent huge delays and problems.

I am not really sure about the full ROI numbers, however, compared to what we would have spent with the DW development, and increased headcount, we would have spent a lot more money. As I said, their licensing plan makes it very simple and cost-effective when we need to add more users.

I'd advise users to go to the cloud. If you can, go directly to the SaaS version. From a cost perspective, it was cheaper than other solutions - and better. Now it might seem more expensive, however, with all the features available, and being able to create a full data pipeline, it makes more sense using Qlik Sense.

We also looked into Power BI and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely go to the cloud. Use the SaaS solution as it offers more capabilities and you don't need to be concerned about the back-end management. If fully going to the cloud is not possible, think of a hybrid solution.

Qlik Sense
    November 2022
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Powerful integration, easy to use, and highly reliable
    • "The most valuable features of Qlik Sense are the integration and panel for reports. The integration is very fast even though we process a lot of information."
    • "Qlik Sense is working very well on going to low code and development. They are trying to make their environment more user-friendly. However, the training is not free. When you want to learn more about the tool, sometimes you need to pay for the training. This does not make sense to me because training should be free because the more you learn about the tool the more you use it and the more you are loyal to the company and want to continue usage."

What is our primary use case?

We use Qlik Sense in sales. We analyze all the information about sales channels, customers, and SKUs. We work with all the final information, such as P and L, DSO, and other indicators. We have a lot of indicators from finance, such as information about quality. We are a pharmaceutical lab and have information about the number of lots that we import and released to the market.

We have connected Qlik Sense with SAP and Salesforce. We analyze the information of Salesforce and SAP, such as the number of cases that we receive, the number of the marketing campaign, and the amount of money that we are spending on them.

All the department has that analytics on Qlik Sense

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Qlik Sense are the integration and panel for reports. The integration is very fast even though we process a lot of information.

The super user can also make changes. It's very friendly to work with after you have had some training. It's very straightforward to make the changes that you need for everyday work.

What needs improvement?

Qlik Sense is working very well on going to low code and development. They are trying to make their environment more user-friendly. However, the training is not free. When you want to learn more about the tool, sometimes you need to pay for the training. This does not make sense to me because training should be free because the more you learn about the tool the more you use it and the more you are loyal to the company and want to continue usage.

I have used Qlik Sense for approximately there years.

Qlik Sense service is very good, it is stable. We never had a breakdown. The service level agreement is very good.

The scalability of Qlik Sense is very good.

Qlik Sense is used by approximately 35 people in the company with different kinds of data analytics from finance, operations, quality control, and sales. We are using it very broadly in our company.

We have plans to increase our usage of this solution in the future.

I have not needed to use the support, even though we paid for the support.

I was using Microsoft Excel and now I use Qlik Sense. We first started with the desktop version of Qlik Sense and then we migrated to the enterprise. We are now fully integrated with SAP and Salesforce. It has been a long time since we have been working with Qlik Sense as a first tool.

We first decided to train three people in the company with good profiles for data analytics with Qlik Sense.

We used a company that help us to make the first reports and the first setup. We had very good support from a company from Argentina. They were very supportive and help us a lot. We started to make some development from people from our company and we had help from another company to resolve some issues that were complicated aspects, such as integration. The investments for the deployment were not huge because sometimes an SAP implementation involves a license and a large investment in the development. This is not the case for Qlik Sense.

The full deployment took approximately two months.

We have a company that helps us with the processes with Qlik Sense. For example, the data analytics reports. A professional license allows a very simple way for users to use and modify the reports. We need an expert on Qlik Sense.

The maintenance rate and the maintenance payment that we pay to a third-party company are very low.

We have 20 licenses for Qlik Sense, and it is a special license that allows people in the whole company to use it over time. You buy this license and there are some minutes that can be used. For example, for the users that used only a few minutes in a month, we use this license. All the people have the ability to work with Qlik Sense. However, the number of licenses is not the number of users. The number of users that uses Qlik Sense is approximately 35 people.

We have paid extra to have support from Qlik Sense.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Qlik Sense an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    NizarAhmad - PeerSpot reviewer
    BI & EIS Manager at Almarai Company Limited
    Flexible, has a lot of capabilities, and lets users take information from multiple systems and present it in a single dashboard
    • "What I found most valuable in Qlik Sense is its flexibility. It's a very flexible tool, and it has a lot of capabilities compared to Tableau and Power BI. In Qlik Sense, you can take data from any of the systems, and you can do data transformation, prepare the data, then present your KPIs. Data transformation isn't present in Tableau, Power BI, and other tools. In Qlik Sense, you're able to get the data and directly present that data. The presentation layer is also very good in Qlik Sense. My company is very happy with this tool."
    • "What needs improvement in Qlik Sense is the support. It could be faster. My organization had already talked to Qlik management and has escalated multiple times, so management is looking into the support."

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense is a dashboarding tool, so you can use it for any enterprise-wide dashboarding in areas such as sales, supply chain, HR, etc. If you want to see some KPIs on the dashboard, you can use Qlik Sense.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Qlik Sense is its flexibility. It's a very flexible tool, and it has a lot of capabilities compared to Tableau and Power BI. In Qlik Sense, you can take data from any of the systems, and you can do data transformation, prepare the data, then present your KPIs. Data transformation isn't present in Tableau, Power BI, and other tools. In Qlik Sense, you're able to get the data and directly present that data. The presentation layer is also very good in Qlik Sense. My company is very happy with this tool.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Qlik Sense is the support. It could be faster. My organization had already talked to Qlik management and has escalated multiple times, so management is looking into the support.

I started using Qlik Sense three years ago, and I'm still using it now.

Qlik Sense is very good, stability-wise.

Qlik Sense is a scalable tool, and though it requires a lot of memory, it's still scalable.

The technical support provided by the Qlik Sense team isn't great as it's very slow. My team doesn't get many issues from the solution, so the need to contact support only happens once in a while, for example, every six months. At the moment, support is pathetic, and my company just has connections with Qlik management, so the issues get solved. Normally, you don't get a lot of issues with Qlik Sense.

The main reason we went with Qlik Sense is that we have multiple systems, so we take data from multiple systems then we present the data in a single dashboard on Qlik Sense, so it's a very good tool for that particular purpose.

Deploying the Qlik Sense server took ten to fifteen days because it required a huge infrastructure. If you require very heavy dashboards, you need a very huge infrastructure, and once that is done and all infrastructure is ready, you just need to install Qlik Sense and start using it, which means you can go on building different dashboards.

You can quickly build normal dashboards within the console, but some dashboards, particularly the very heavy and complex ones with a lot of KPIs, required six months to complete, so deployment time would depend on how big the dashboard is and its use case.

We have an in-house team for implementing Qlik Sense, but we also use consultants, especially if our team is busy with other projects. We didn't face any problems with the Qlik Sense consultants.

Normally, we do deployments internally, but the Qlik consultants deployed all the Qlik infrastructure here in our area, then they built one or two dashboards, then left the rest of the dashboard building to our team.

I'm not able to reveal the licensing cost for Qlik Sense, but because it was a huge deal, the cost was less than the usual cost. The license wasn't that costly. It was the infrastructure that was very costly.

I evaluated Power BI and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

My company is using the dashboarding tools of Qlik called Qlik Sense and QlikView.

I can't remember exactly which version of Qlik Sense I'm using, but it's the version released in November 2021.

My company is happy with Qlik, in particular, QlikView and Qlik Sense, and as of now, there's no drawback identified, or anything creating problems, but because I belong to an SAP-driven company and most of the ERP is SAP, my company is looking into an SAP product such as SAP Analytics Cloud, but my team has not started any project, just looking into the solution.

My company has around two thousand Qlik Sense users now. Right now, because my organization has five thousand licenses, with just two thousand licenses being used, there's no plan to increase Qlik Sense usage.

I would recommend Qlik Sense to anyone looking for a reporting tool.

My rating for Qlik Sense is eight out of ten.

Edgar Olmos Ascanio - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Intelligence Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User
    A simple tool that's light and has good support
    • "The changes in a dashboard are very easy."
    • "I am starting to work with Qlik Sense SaaS these days. This environment has its own reporting service, however, one of the things that could be better for the people that are already using Nprinting, is to have a Nprinting in SaaS."

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense is our BI tool that provides decision information for the company at all levels and in many departments. We have dashboards, reports, and portals to give information to different kinds of internal or external users.

Right now, we have 150 extractions, 100 transformations, and 60 dashboards for decision-making in finance, inventory, sales, purchasing, supply chain and social media for the company. Qlik Sense is a mission-critical environment  - the directors can't make their work happen without it.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense changed the way the directors do their work. Most of them only use Qlik in their day to find the information that they need for decision-making. They use this information to negotiate with vendors and clients.

Qlik Sense helps us to consolidate data from different sources in a unified way. We analyze different channels or near real-time information from social media to decide in a short period of time.

Qlik Sense also is a way to understand the information that different sources generate and mix it with personal information.

What is most valuable?

Qlik sense has a lot of advantages, including:
    - For the final user it is a simple tool.
    - You can develop a dashboard in hours.
    - The changes in a dashboard are very easy. We don't have the common problems that we have using multidimensional cubes.
    - The In-Memory engine helps to analyze big sets of that in seconds.
    - The storage is small. Qlik compresses the data in QVDs.
    - The ROI is very fast. The time of implementation is short and the infrastructure is not too expensive. Qlik uses Windows Servers.

What needs improvement?

I have used this tool for more than 12 years. I did more than 1,000 Qlik applications (extractions, transformations, and dashboards).

I used this tool to analyze information in a lot of different kinds of companies, retail, laboratories, government, banks, goods, etc.

Qlik can be used in small, medium, and large companies.

I'd like to see in SaaS some of the things that are running (best practices) in Qlik Sense. On-premise, if things are not working well I need to rebuild some parts of the dashboard. It would be useful to have some tool to analyze the dashboard before you do a migration.

I've used the solution for more than 12 years.

Qlik Sense's platform is very stable. I didn't have problems with the tool. Also, the upgrades are very easy, and you can't find big bugs.

Right now, I am implementing Qlik SaaS. I had a problem with Qlik Multi-Cloud. The vendor and Qlik gave me support in a few hours and I solved the problem.

Positive

We evaluated Tableau and QlikView before.

We did most of the setup in-house.

The ROI is very fast. You can have results in no time.

Qlik Sense is not the cheapest tool, however, the time to ROI is very fast. You can have results in no time.

In four years I've evaluated Power BI and Tableau. I still work with Qlik since the tool is easier than the others and gives us the results that we need. We have all the connections to the sources of our systems.

What other advice do I have?

With Qlik Sense you can mix information very fast. Your data warehouse consumption of storage is very small and you can build it quickly.

Other
    Solution Architect at HSBC
    User
    Customizable with good ROI and a quick learning curve
    • "The extensibility of the Platform with either internally created extensions or the use of third-party provided items really opens the platform up."
    • "More focus needs to be on data streaming/real-time data reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 primary uses:

1. Technology-created, defined story-driven analytics providing Dashboarding to users that allow drill-down of information to pre-created aggregation levels.

2. Self-service reporting that allows data SMEs to create and manage their own visualizations.

Both use cases are heavily catered for in our business, and we have 80,000+ users across the company.

Utilizing the Qlik API layer, and a set of React components we are also able to embed Qlik reporting into existing web applications providing fantastic opportunities to bring multiple data sets together into highly customizable portals.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided much more widely available MI to senior stakeholders. Before rolling out Qlik Sense, much of the reporting was completed from incredibly manual spreadsheets or old and slow COGNOS reports.

Qlik Sense has opened up a new quick-to-market BI tool, that allows business requirements to become a production-ready reality within days rather than months.

Qlik Sense lends itself very well to creating large centrally managed platforms to make better use of scalability. This reduces direct infrastructure requirements, leading to more sustainable solutions.

What is most valuable?

Drag and drop objects create a quick learning curve to create basic reports that still provide business benefits.

Continued development for on-premises versions to enable companies with more restricted data sets that cannot move to Saas/cloud solutions to still benefit from new product enhancements

Ability to highly customize infrastructure/environment set-ups to open huge possibilities.

What needs improvement?

More focus needs to be on data streaming/real-time data reporting. This is currently too slow to use outside of very small data sets.

More focus on CI/CD integration is needed. Having Dashboards stored as very static binary files does not lead itself well to the modern DevSecOps standards and processes.

To compete with other tools in the sector, more focus on the commenting/feedback abilities of users would be beneficial. For example, at an object level, be able to have users add comments to certain data points that other users can view and also comment back on.

We have been using Qlik Sense in various guises since version 3.1 - for about 6 to 7 years now.

The tool scales with infra fairly well. For performant applications on large data volumes, utilizing tooling to hold applications in memory leads to the best results, however, it also requires large infrastructure to support.

Prior to Qlik Sense, we were using QlikView, and shifting to Qlik Sense provided a much more modern architecture. Prior to QlikView, COGNOS was heavily leveraged.

The switch moved us from a very manual, spreadsheet/PowerPoint-based reporting to a much more fluid, dynamic, and interactive solution.

An in-house team was used. Having existing Qlik product knowledge helped make this viable. However, I am aware of other teams within our organization who have used vendor teams to great success as well.

The ROI is high as there are large financial reporting solutions built into Qlik. They have brought large money-saving insights from data and visualizations.

Economies of scale come into play very quickly, especially with no enterprise/infrastructure-specific licensing for Qlik Sense.

With on-premise solutions, there can be a requirement for some heavy hardware, however, moving into the cloud means this can be reduced.

Tableau, PowerBI, and Looker were all reviewed and clear choices brought Qlik Sense out on top.

Its ability to score highly across the board makes it the best all-around tool, although the others score higher in very specific areas.

Google
    Marcelo Galano Nuñez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Analytics Technician at Eurofragance SLU
    Easy to use with good customer support but on-premises models need better pricing options
    • "The visualizations are good and keep improving."
    • "They need to make security rules to access applications and data security easier and customizable."

What is our primary use case?

I've been an user for many years and also a developer that's working as a consultant. I use Qlik to develop apps to extract, load, and transform data from different sources and then use this data to make apps for different departments in my organization.

I am a consumer of this data as well, as I work for the Controlling Department. We also use NPrinting to send reports to different people in the organization and this saves us a lot of time on manual tasks.

We extract data from: SAP, SQL DB, Excels, Success Factors, Sharepoint, Oracle, and more.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense is highly used in my organization as it helps our users to derive insights from the data accurately.

The visualization objects in Qlik Sense are really good and interactive and help my users to get an understanding of the whole story behind the data.

Unlike query-based BI tools, the associative model of Qlik Sense has helped them a lot in deriving insights and metrics for the business. Also, it has helped to reduce the time consumed in doing complex reports and sending them to different people.

What is most valuable?

Qlik Sense has a lot of features that I find valuable.

It's easy to use. As a user, you can learn the basics very quickly and they provide you with free material that makes it easy to learn.

As a developer the tool is easy to learn as well. They keep making improvements to make it easier for users to make their own reports without knowing too much about coding.

You can accurately manage a large volume of data in less time.

Qlik Sense uses an in-memory data model.

It can read a wide range of different sources.

The visualizations are good and keep improving.

The customer support is very good.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see some improvements in the following areas:

• They need to make it easy to generate documentation of apps, giving information about legacy.
    • They need to make security rules to access applications and data security easier and customizable.
    • I would love it if they could make a "recycle bin" as users sometimes may delete an app and then cannot recover it unless they have made a backup of the server recently.
    • There needs to be better pricing options for on-premises clients Right now, they are focusing more on SaaS.
    • NPrinting needs more enhancements in its configuration and error handling.

I've used the solution for more than five years.

We've never had problems with stability due to the fact that we use an on-premises deployment.

The scalability is very good.

Technical support is very good and quite fast; they have always provided help when I needed it.

We did not use a different solution previously.

It's really easy to install and they make it easier each year.

In some companies yes, we did get help and they were very capable.

We have not measured ROI.

I'd advise that users always try to have more RAM than they think they will need to make it easier to expand in the future. This also applies for CPU cores.

We did look at Power BI.

Piyush Gaud - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Manager at We Love X GmbH
    A great single source of truth with good analysis and data workflows
    • "The Qlik Sense cloud insights advisor helps our business users to get the answers to their data questions so that they do not have to rely on IT/BI resources every time they have some data request."
    • "In my opinion, collaborative development of the Qlik Apps is a bit tricky and difficult in the Qlik Sense Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the affiliate marketing industry. We are using the Qlik Sense Cloud to visualize our marketing-related data. Qlik Sense allows us to visualize the complete funnel from the customer visiting the Google/Bing ads to the product sale.

We are also using Qlik Sense as a platform where we integrate the data from other data sources and make the insights from it which otherwise would have been quite a difficult task.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik sense is considered the single source of truth for our organization's operational data.

Users do not need to switch to different data sources because Qlik Sense has various data connectors that allow us to integrate the data from the various sources into one platform.

The platform has helped us to analyze our data in a more systematic manner, and make informed decisions from it.

The solution increased the operational efficiency of our team members and allowed them to leverage the data and get the most out of it.

What is most valuable?

I found "Qlik application Automation" most interesting. It allows us to create automated analytics and data workflows. This helped us to create an end-to-end pipeline from raw data to Active intelligence. With Qlik Automation, we can reload multiple apps parallel and chain the app together to run one after another.

Importing/exporting the app script to Github, sending automated emails/reports or chat messages on Teams/Slack based on condition. These are some amazing things we can do with the Qlik application automation feature.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, collaborative development of the Qlik Apps is a bit tricky and difficult in the Qlik Sense Cloud. For example, the developer who is not an owner of the app cannot see the app script. The user needs to duplicate the app, and then he should be able to see the app script or make any changes in the app script.

I see that two developers can not work collaboratively on one app. Moreover, Qlik sense cloud does not provide an option to create a folder on the platform to save the relevant Qvd's/files in one folder. I believe this is something the product should focus on.

I've used the solution for two years.

The solution is highly scalable.

The customer service is good, yet not the best. However, community forums help quite a lot in case of any Qlik-related technical queries.

Neutral

I have used Power BI, however, I did not use this platform intensively. I used it very rarely.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We implemented this solution in-house.

The pricing of the product is very competitive. The licensing and the setup process is super smooth and easy.

We did evaluate Tableau.

Other
    Download our free Qlik Sense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022