Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Palo Alto Networks WildFire OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is #1 ranked solution in top ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) tools. PeerSpot users give Palo Alto Networks WildFire an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Palo Alto Networks WildFire is most commonly compared to Cisco ASA Firewall: Palo Alto Networks WildFire vs Cisco ASA Firewall. Palo Alto Networks WildFire is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Palo Alto Networks WildFire?
WildFire™ cloud-based threat analysis service is the industry’s most advanced analysis and prevention engine for highly evasive zero-day exploits and malware. The cloud-based service employs a unique multi-technique approach combining dynamic and static analysis, innovative machine learning techniques, and a groundbreaking bare metal analysis environment to detect and prevent even the most evasive threats.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Customers
Novamedia, Nexon Asia Pacific, Lenovo, Samsonite, IOOF, Sinogrid, SanDisk Corporation
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Video

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks WildFire pricing:
  • "Palo Alto Networks WildFire is quite expensive, and this is what puts people off."
  • "We are on an annual subscription. When we purchased the firewall, we had activated this solutions license for a minimum of one year. The price of the solution is fair."
  • "The physical appliance is around €3,000 or €4,000, and then, you have the licensing for a year for around €3,000."
  • "Palo Alto Networks WildFire is an expensive product."
  • "The price is a bit higher than the other products such as TrendMicro, or FireEye."
  • Palo Alto Networks WildFire Reviews

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Intuitive, stable, and scalable zero-day threat prevention solution with a machine learning feature
    • "Intuitive threat prevention and analysis solution, with a machine learning feature. Scalable, stable, and protects against zero-day threats."
    • "The cost of this solution could still be improved, in particular, giving product discounts for charitable causes."

What is our primary use case?

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is being used as an effective zero-day threat prevention solution. When a file comes in from a user innocently clicking on a website, then downloading the file, for example, if your Palo Alto is set up in a way that detects what is happening in that traffic going through, whether the file is an audio file, a DLL, an executable file, etc., if it thinks that file is unsafe, it will ask for a second opinion from Palo Alto Networks WildFire.

If you'll imagine how a network would work: You've got your computer, then your antivirus on the computer, then you have your internet gateway. That suspicious file will stop at the gateway, rather than stopping at the computer. Think about hurdles, where you've got these people running over hurdles, and to win the race, you have to jump over every single hurdle. If you get one of those hurdles wrong, that's it. You're done. That's why we're doing this check almost at the perimeter, or at the edge of the network, instead of on the device, because once you're on the device, it means you're on the network.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Palo Alto Networks WildFire is that it's intuitive. I also love the App-ID feature, especially because it works out of the box. I can also instantly see all the traffic going out, e.g. I can just plug a firewall in, then connect one network socket to a switch, etc. There's no configuration I need to do to see it. It just tells me that you're sending BitTorrent traffic, or SLL traffic, or you're going into 365, etc. It just does that out of the box, and it's the best thing that this solution can do. Straight away you can see all the traffic going through your network.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire, because it's from Palo Alto Networks, has better visibility on everything, so they can see what's happening in the world. They recently released the Palo Alto Networks WildFire machine learning feature on the firewall, so it's them saying: "This thing's happening on your firewall, so you should do this," and it just does it for you. Rather than relying on a human to interpret these problems, it will just do it for you, and that's pretty cool. I've not played with the machine learning feature myself, but that's something I'm very keen to have a look at.

What needs improvement?

We do a lot with charities, and I'd love Palo Alto Networks WildFire to have more discounts, e.g. charity discounts, so we can protect healthcare and schools, then other than aiming at the universities and the big hospitals where it's a lot of money, we can go for the smaller schools, too. They make quite a killing there.

Again, it's just charity pricing, but because we are a partner with them, we can do that ourselves, e.g. we can buy it and then reduce our margins on it to get them over. We feel that it's better to sell the device that's very good at a lower cost, then, we lock in with their services at the end, so work management, etc. Rather than saying, "It's going to cost you this much money, and it's too expensive to even begin with."

I've been a reseller of Palo Alto Networks WildFire for four years now.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is a stable solution.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is scalable, particularly if you pick the right firewall, and that's it: you can do what you need to with it.

With five being the highest and one being the lowest, I'm scoring the technical support for Palo Alto Networks WildFire a four. They're very, very good, but there is still room for improvement when some issues become more complex. If you understand the system, then you'll also understand why it is like it is.

Setting up Palo Alto Networks WildFire is easy out of the box, because you just plug in the cables you need, but the way it works is you need to have an understanding of networking, otherwise, setting it up will be difficult. If you are the right type of person, then you'll have no problems with the setup.

What other advice do I have?

The way Palo Alto Networks WildFire works is that it's essentially a service that you get from Palo Alto as part of your subscription. You can subscribe to it at an additional cost, and the idea is it can communicate with all the Palo Alto devices in the world about a file, e.g. whether a file is suspicious or harmless.

For example, a machine in Australia downloads a file, and it doesn't know if it's a file that can be trusted or not. The Palo Alto Networks WildFire process is that it takes that file, and then moves it to the WildFire service in the cloud, so there's a transaction from the firewall doing that.

Let's say it's a Word file or something that looks suspicious, Palo Alto Networks WildFire then detonates the file, e.g. it takes that file and runs checks against it, before and after, and then it sees the difference and says, "Well, this actual file contains a payload." The way that it works then, is that there are attackers or people who are trying to subvert systems, and they will say, "Oh, if this file is running on a virtual machine, like in a sandbox environment, don't do the thing that you're going to do, only when it's a physical thing, like actual hardware.

The Palo Alto Networks WildFire process is a process that goes through all these other checks, e.g. it runs on physical, on virtual, on different types of Linux, MacOS, etc. This file is checked against all these different environments to see if it's okay or not, so this is done off the box, off the firewall.

This is the service that you pay for as part of that subscription, so when it's done, essentially that file is marked as safe, that's cool. If it's marked as bad, then that file, the hash is taken from it, so it's easily identified, then through the Palo Alto Networks WildFire subscription, all the firewalls in the world then get that information within just one minute, if you set it to that. It will say something similar to: "Look out for this file if you ever see it", and then all the machines now knows that the file is dodgy or suspicious. That's what Palo Alto Networks WildFire does.

Palo Alto Networks is very well rounded. They're building an ecosystem: the Palo Alto ecosystem. You've got global protect VPNs and they are the armor that works on the whole ecosystem. They also have integrations, e.g. there are other applications from HP that plug into the device, because it's got the APIs there.

For the deployment and maintenance of Palo Alto Networks WildFire, one person can do it, but it's a special tool, so a network staff that just looks after a server would probably struggle with it, just because of some of the concepts that you need to use. There are specific trainings you'd need to do to get the best out of it, but one specialist could do it, e.g. it's not unheard of.

My advice to others looking into implementing this solution is for them not to be put off by the cost. It's similar to looking at cars, e.g. there's a reason people like Jaguar cars over the Fords. I've always got this mantra that if you have a network, if you have a data network, and if it's going to cost you, e.g. if you look at the fines associated with various industries, and if you're a school that gets a data breach, it'll cost you this much money. The question is: "Can you afford that much money as a company?" If your answer is "No", then you have to look at mitigating it. I would suggest looking at Palo Alto Networks WildFire and saying, "Well, we do these types of things to protect your network."

If you still don't want to pay that money, then chances are, you don't particularly care about security. If you want to pay for that kind of thing to stave off the bigger fine that results from getting a data breach, or getting hacked, etc., then that's how we think about it. Don't be off put by the cost when you're looking at it. Palo Alto Networks WildFire is a very comprehensive device. They are the best firewalls in the world.

There are also other solutions like UTMs and XGs, e.g. if you like Fortigate, but everyone I've shown the Palo Alto to instantly said: "This big screen here: I can see all the traffic going through", and you just filter it at the top, and it just makes more sense to people. It's very intuitive.

My rating for Palo Alto Networks WildFire is eight out of ten. It's not a perfect score because of its cost.

AhmadZakwan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Consultant at Securelytics
    Fast analysis, good identification features and reasonable pricing
    • "The analysis is very fast."
    • "There are some formats that the solution cannot support ."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to identify whether an unknown file is managed or not. We also use it to identify any unknown file that is executable without reputation. We do this before releasing it to the end-user.

How has it helped my organization?

We release the email and the network traffic but also analyze the file. We can do it concurrently before we release the actual traffic to the end user when we have already completed the analysis.

What is most valuable?

The analysis is very fast. The intermittent is a millisecond and has a speedy response time.

What needs improvement?

There are some formats that the solution cannot support today, but they are mostly very rare formats. So that can be improved.

We have been using this solution for the past three years. We are using the latest version, and it is deployed on Google cloud. In addition, we do an integration with the Cortex XDR together with Palo Alto Networks WildFire.

It is a stable solution.

Regarding scalability, 1000 to 5000 is not a problem, but anything more than that, I am unsure. However, it is scalable, and most of the people in our company that use the solution are from our group's information.

We have used the technical support for analysis purposes. They are sound, and the testing system and updates are good. They proactively give us updates, and they are doing a good job. I rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have used different solutions in the past but switched to Palo Alto Networks WildFire due to the fast analysis.

The installation was straightforward. It is a cloud and FaaS-based platform and took about one to two hours to deploy. We completed the deployment in-house, and very minimal maintenance is required.

We have about ten people on our team. We needed only one person to install and deploy and about three to maintain.

I am unsure about the specific ROI, but we have managed to quarantine and block multiple manages on the enterprise price, which is good. We have benefited from Wildfire.

Our licensing costs are annual, and I believe it is not that expensive. I rate the pricing a six out of ten, so it is on the cheaper side.

We evaluated getting proof of concept for another solution and end-user analyzer, but there were limitations to the integration, so we didn't proceed with it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. Regarding advice, I would recommend doing a proof of concept first before deciding on the solution.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire
    September 2022
    634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Stops the infection in its tracks and prevents it from uploading valuable corporate data outside the network
    • "I love the idea of Palo Alto Networks WildFire. It's more geared toward preventing malware. If someone's laptop or phone is malware-infected, the tool prevents it from uploading valuable corporate data outside the corporate network. That's what I love about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. It stops malware in its tracks."
    • "In terms of what I'd like to see in the next release of Palo Alto Networks WildFire, each release is based on malware that has been identified. The key problem is an average of six months from the time malware is written to the time it's discovered and a signature is created for it. The only advice that I can give is for them to shorten that timeframe. I don't know how they would do it, but if they shorten that, for example, cut it in half, they'll make themselves more famous."

What is most valuable?

I love the idea of Palo Alto Networks WildFire. It's more geared toward preventing malware. If someone's laptop or phone is malware-infected, the tool prevents it from uploading valuable corporate data outside the corporate network. That's what I love about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. It stops malware in its tracks.

What needs improvement?

I didn't experience any pain points in Palo Alto Networks WildFire. It's good "as is".

In terms of what I'd like to see in the next release of Palo Alto Networks WildFire, each release is based on malware that has been identified. The key problem is an average of six months from the time malware is written to the time it's discovered and a signature is created for it. The only advice that I can give is for them to shorten that timeframe. I don't know how they would do it, but if they shorten that, for example, cut it in half, they'll make themselves more famous.

Stability in Palo Alto Networks WildFire is significantly better, compared to other solutions.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire, in terms of scalability, is significantly good, though you have to right-size or plan for the future for group capacity. A lot of the Palo Alto solutions, especially the chassis-based or the "non-fixed" solutions give you the ability to scale on port density, and I like that.

Technical support for Palo Alto Networks WildFire is good.

Setting up Palo Alto Networks WildFire is much more straightforward, especially when compared to Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I use Palo Alto Networks WildFire. I like it.

The number of people you need for maintaining Palo Alto Networks WildFire will depend on the number of devices you have. If you had one firewall, what do you need to maintain? You'll just need one guy, and he's going to be bored most of the time. One guy could maintain ten to twenty firewalls. If you have one hundred firewalls on your network, or you manage one hundred firewalls for your customers, then you're going to need five times as many engineers for maintaining Palo Alto Networks WildFire.

I have no advice for others looking into using the solution because it's so simple. You can turn it on with a button, then there's a radio box, then you click it, and away you go. If you need information, you can enter a support email, and it'll fire off an email saying, "I caught something. I shut it down, but you should know about this."

Nobody gets a ten, so I'll give Palo Alto Networks WildFire a rating of nine out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Different deployments available, highly scalable, and plenty of features
    • "The solution is completely integrated with all the other Palo Alto products. I think that it is the best part for endpoint protection. The firewall features include URL and DNS filtering, threat protection, and antivirus."
    • "The threat intelligence that we receiving in the reporting was not as expected. We were expecting more. Additionally, we should be able to whitelist a specific file based on a variety of attributes."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our zero-day advanced persistent threats(APT). Additionally, we are using it as our only sole network distribution.

What is most valuable?

I have found that there are many good features found with this solution. There is the option of cloud and an on-premises version.

The service-level agreement(SLA) provides the ability to converts the unknown to the known in less than five minutes.

The environment analysis runs in multiple areas and does not just execute in one area, such as the virtual hypervisor.

The solution is completely integrated with all the other Palo Alto products. I think that it is the best part for endpoint protection. The firewall features include URL and DNS filtering, threat protection, and antivirus.

What needs improvement?

The threat intelligence that we receiving in the reporting was not as expected. We were expecting more. Additionally, we should be able to whitelist a specific file based on a variety of attributes.

In a future release, they could make the solution be a stand-alone deployment, one that does not need another Palo Alto solution and can integrate with any other solution from another company. For example, we could use this solution together with other solutions, such as Fortinet firewalls or endpoint solutions.

The solution is stable and reliable. Since it is on the cloud we do not have to worry about this much.

The solution is scalable. We have approximately 400 users using the solution. We currently do not plan to increase the capacity because our maximum amount of users would be 500 users and we only have approximately 300 on-premise users at this time while the rest of them are working remotely.

I have found the technical support responsive.

Since it is a cloud-based version the setup was straightforward and easy, we just have to activate the license to use it.

We are on an annual subscription. When we purchased the firewall, we had activated this solutions license for a minimum of one year. The price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Palo Alto Networks WildFire a ten out of ten.

Information Systems Manager at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
    Better control, specific to our needs, and fantastic support
    • "You have better control because you define apps. You just don't define ports. You define apps, and the apps are monitored in the traffic. It is more specific than the Cisco firewall when it comes to our needs."
    • "The configuration should be made a little bit easier. I understand why it is as it is, but there should be a way to make it easier from the user side."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The configuration should be made a little bit easier. I understand why it is as it is, but there should be a way to make it easier from the user side.

I'm going into my second year here now.

Its stability is good.

It is good in terms of scalability. We have around 25 users currently, and we don't have any plans to increase the usage. The current solution supports up to 1,500 users. It is a little bit overkill for what we actually need. It would probably be good for quite a while in the future.

Their support is fantastic. You can call them and have a technician sitting with you at three o'clock in the morning to help you through things.

Previously, we were running Cisco's solution, but then we got told from headquarters in the US that we needed to change.

If you know what you're doing, it goes quickly. If you don't know what you're doing, it's going to take a while. That is why I requested an easier setup.

In terms of maintenance, our IT unit is responsible for all VPN traffic. We have now automated things a bit, but in the beginning, it was manual.

We did it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate it at an eight out of 10.

Qaiser Abbas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Scalable solution for mitigating threats and zero-day attacks; can be set up within minutes
    • "Scalable ATP solution that's quick to set up. It demonstrates good performance and stability."
    • "The only problem with this solution is the cost. It's expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is an ATP solution. It provides advanced threat protection, so it can protect customers against zero-day attacks.

What needs improvement?

The only problem with this solution is the cost. It's expensive.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire demonstrates good performance. It's stable.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire has good scalability.

We came across some issues with the Palo Alto support team, but overall their support is okay.

Like any other firewall, this product is okay, in terms of setup. The initial setup was very quick, and can be done within a few minutes.

This product and its license is expensive.

Most of the customers get a yearly subscription.

I didn't see any costs in addition to the standard license and fees for Palo Alto Networks WildFire.

What other advice do I have?

We also provide Palo Alto Networks WildFire to our customers, and we've been dealing with it since it came into the product line.

We deployed this solution both on cloud and on-premises. It's a mixture of both types of deployment.

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is a good solution. It has been able to mitigate a lot of threats and attacks.

We have a lot of customers using Palo Alto Networks WildFire.

We have network engineers who handle the deployment and maintenance of this solution, and they are the same people who handle the deployment and maintenance of Fortinet FortiGate.

We recommend this product to people who want to start using it, but if the customer only has limited budget, then we cannot recommend it.

I'm giving Palo Alto Networks WildFire a score of eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    MufeedSiaj - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Presales Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Stable with an easy initial setup and decent technical support
    • "The scalability is acceptable."
    • "The automation and responsiveness need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my client's companies.

What is most valuable?

I did not find anything that makes it more unique than other equivalent products.

The initial setup is very simple.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is acceptable.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more third-party integration.

The automation and responsiveness need improvement.

They need to be able to escalate technical support issues in a more effective way.

The solution is a bit too expensive.

I've used the solution for many years. IT's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution does have the capability to scale. It can scale to a certain extent.

Technical support was perfect. That said, it's hard to escalate. We're mostly happy with technical support. It's just that the escalation process takes too much time.

We are working with a similar product to WildFire at the moment. The features are the same, however, the stability and reliability are better.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issue with the process.

The pricing could be a bit better.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a freelancing security consultant.

I'd advise new users to just double-check the admin guide, the organization guide, before beginning.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Pre-sales manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good Sandbox Capabilities and good technical support
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are sandbox capabilities."
    • "Our main concern is that everything has to be synced with the WildFire Cloud and has to be checked through the subscription."

What is our primary use case?

We are a security company working in the security system for the banking sectors, and we're trying to penetrate through the identity and access management products for our clients.

We work with all of the Palo Alto technologies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are sandbox capabilities.

It removes all of the potential risks that come with attached documents or any macros from the vulnerability to be extended to Wildfire and to ensure that these kinds of attachments do not contain ransomware.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see some integration with other products, with endpoints and management.

Also, there are too many features for the client to research.

We are starting to implement it into the Egyptian market. We closed one of the deals only last month. But, we have been working with the Next Generation and WildFire since 2015.

Technical support is working fine. They have helped us a lot.

We are using Forcepoint, Palo Alto the Next Generation, Cortex, and Panorama.

They are currently working on sandboxing for an on-premises version rather than a subscription for WildFire through the firewall.

We lost an opportunity where the client chose FireEye for the price.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks WildFire and eight out of ten.

Download our free Palo Alto Networks WildFire Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022