Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle Integration Cloud Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Integration Cloud Service is #2 ranked solution in top Integration Platform as a Service providers. PeerSpot users give Oracle Integration Cloud Service an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle Integration Cloud Service is most commonly compared to Oracle Data Integrator (ODI): Oracle Integration Cloud Service vs Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Oracle Integration Cloud Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
Oracle Integration Cloud Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Integration Cloud Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle Integration Cloud Service?

Oracle Integration Cloud Service (ICS) delivers best in class “Hybrid” Integration. ICS is a simple and powerful integration platform in the cloud to maximize the value of your investments in SaaS and on-premises applications. It includes an intuitive web based integration designer for point and click integration between applications and a rich monitoring dashboard that provides real-time insight into the transactions, all running on a mature runtime platform on Oracle Public Cloud. ICS will help accelerate integration projects and significantly shorten the time-to-market through it's intuitive and simplified designer, an intelligent data mapper, and a library of adapters to connect to various applications.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service was previously known as Oracle ICS.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service Customers

Calix, Avaya, Land Lakes, Leader, PWC, Vale

Oracle Integration Cloud Service Video

Oracle Integration Cloud Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Integration Cloud Service pricing:
  • "In the case of Oracle Integration Cloud, costs can be "predictable" as far as the platform and infrastructure are concerned."
  • "It specifies how much data you use and how much storage you require, among other things."
  • "The solution is less expensive than other products."
  • "It has different licensing models. The most upfront and most transparent is the pay-as-you-go model. It also has a certain messages-per-hour limit. There is a certain amount that is charged per hour, and a certain number of messages are included in it, which you can scale up as you go. Its licensing is very competent and easy."
  • Oracle Integration Cloud Service Reviews

Rishabh Singhal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business and Technology Delivery Associate Manager at Accenture
    Good performance, easy integration, user-friendly, and helpful technical support
    • "The dashboard provided by Oracle Integration Cloud for monitoring and error handling is very intuitive."
    • "Make it more similar to the on-premises features. For example, if you can edit the code directly rather than just dragging and dropping, or if you can edit the examples by going into the background, and one-click migration, I'd like to see included in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle ERP Fusion Cloud is used for enterprise resource planning. We have different ERP modules at HCM, such as human capital management, supply chain management, and asset work management.

We use Oracle Integration Cloud to automate a large number of integrations. For example, if you want to load the employee file from, say, a boundary system or Workday, you are providing me with a file containing the employees' salaries, and designations. I need to import it into the Oracle ERP Fusion Cloud or the ERP cloud's human capital management module, but there is no simple or direct way to import that file into the ERP cloud or that CM.

In Oracle Integration Cloud, we take the file, read it, and transform it to meet the MAT requirements of the ERP cloud or SIM cloud. For example, we create the HDL for a MAT file that contains HCM data, we also automate it. Basically, you provide the file, and we transform it. We will submit the job to ERP, where we will be able to encrypt, decrypt, and increase security. The Boundary system only needs to provide the file, and we will convert it to the required format and load it into the ERP cloud, sending notifications, logging, and monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

There was initially we had two products on-premises, with were BPEL and Oracle Service Bus. When stateless integrations were required, we used Oracle Service Bus, and when a large flow was required, as well as a long-running process, we used BPEL (Business Process Execution Language). Oracle has removed these two distinctions and has merged them into one. Oracle Integration Cloud Service can create two services: one that is simple request and response, and one that can run for an extended period of time which is a good thing. That is extremely valuable. As an organization, you do not have to buy a separate product or two separate products for it.

Furthermore, everything is now under Oracle's control, from an infrastructure standpoint. Initially, when we had an on-premise structure or the on-premise SOA Suite, we had to maintain the logs and server as an organization.

It was entirely the organization's fault if the server crashed. They needed to hire web logic administrators. There was another layer. There was an administrative layer and a development layer. There were a lot of node managers and admin managers. We no longer have to be concerned about infrastructure at all. If the server fails, Oracle will take care of it. We do not need to engage in web logic administration consultations to investigate this. The Oracle is in charge of everything. And if there is any maintenance, Oracle will take care of it as well.

They will provide you with a timeline stating that on this day, we will be performing upgrades or releasing some manuals or updates. Oracle has completely automated this process. You no longer need to be concerned about it. There is no web logic, nothing.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard provided by Oracle Integration Cloud for monitoring and error handling is very intuitive. For example, if I trigger the integration and can also schedule it within OIC, there is no need for a third-party scheduler to schedule the integration in the OIC integration cloud.

We do have a good scheduler in place. We also have encryption and decryption systems in place. Which is good.

With the dashboard for monitoring, you do not need a third-party dashboard or logging framework when you initiate the integration.

We can certainly create some logging framework, but for some of the lightweight integrations or logging where we do not want to retain the data for an extended period of time, the logging framework within the OIC is sufficient. The dashboard is excellent. You get a clear picture of how it works, where the flow is, logs, log management, and everything.

It is simple to incorporate into some of the best products. I can, for example, directly integrate with Workday and Oracle. There are many adapters directly available, as well as numerous inbuilt integrations shared by Oracle. We can use it as is with a little tweaking.

There are a lot of adapters, which is what I like the most. This greatly simplifies the integration. There is no web service. You should not be concerned about it. You simply configure that after, and there will be direct connectivity, which you can use as it is. There are many options.

What needs improvement?

This is entirely web-based development. We lack an IDE for developing integrations. Back in the days of OSB and BEPL, we had to go into the code and not just drag and drop. We used to go into XML and modify it. We could, for example, edit some XSLT or XQuery documentation, but this is mostly a drag-and-drop. A person cannot directly enter the code or examine and modify so many variables. As a result, one had to rely solely on the drag and drop feature.

Oracle has implemented a few modifications. For example, you can now manually edit the XSLT by going into the code, but there are many things you cannot change. You cannot move from one location to another. UI-based controls still have room to improve, but migration can be made simple. If we are migrating integrations from one environment to another, such as development to testing, if it is a one-click migration, which is possible in some cases, that would have been good.

As of now, we simply export the IIR and import it into the new environment. Migration and the User Interface could be improved.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Integration Cloud Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Oracle Integration Cloud Service since 2016, nearly five or six years.

I am working with the most recent version, which is deployed on the Oracle infrastructure.

I find the performance to be really good, mostly, but it depends on the implementation, how the developer implements it, or what the design and patterns are, but I find the performance to be really, really good. Furthermore, Oracle is constantly improving the OCI infrastructure.

We now have many features and options, such as buckets for Object Cloud Storage. You don't have to rely on the FTP server as much; if it's a file-based integration, you can use file buckets directly to access the files.

In terms of performance, I think it's good. And the stability, it is stable. I haven't faced many issues. We do encounter slowness on occasion. For example, if there are other integrations, sometimes there is slowness, and we immediately raise an SR with Oracle, and they work on it.

It is easily scalable. For example, if you want to add servers to an existing set of servers to increase elasticity, it is easy. As demand changes, the elasticity can be reduced or increased.

It is also dynamic. It is dynamic in some of its features. It automatically enhances the server if it is needed more and reduces the servers if they are idle for an extended period of time.

We work for a variety of clients. I am sure there are a lot of clients who are currently using this Oracle Integration Cloud solution.

We do have an Oracle practice we call Oracle COE which stands for Center Of Excellence. For just OIC, I would estimate that we have a global team of over 500 developers.

Just for OIC, we have Fusion products separately, Oracle integration, ERP Cloud, and SIM cloud, that is the SaaS layer, but they can be more than 500 developers for the PaaS layer.

This solution is extensively being used by our organization.

I believe it will be used even more or remain stable, but I do not believe its demand will decrease. But, the usage will be more.

I would rate the technical support a four out of five. There is always room to improve.

Positive

I was previously working on the on-premise middleware solution, the Oracle SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) Suite, which included BPEL and Oracle Service Bus, but everything was later moved to the cloud.

Oracle Integration Cloud is now available. It was first introduced around 2014 or 2015.

I began working with the on-premises solution. Then there's the cloud. There was an Oracle server switch stack on-premise. I've been using the Oracle suite since the beginning of my career. Initially on-premise, but now in the cloud.

I started out working with Informatica as well. That was a batch integration, such as for heavy-duty integrations or large files containing GBs of data. So I started with Informatica as well, but after that, I've only used Oracle products for online integrations and other integrations.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

I would rate the implementation process a three and a half out of five because it is easy.

We are using Jenkins, and we have written some scripts to take integrations from one environment to another. We are logging everything, checking it into git, and then automating the processes in Jenkins. It starts with the IIR and then moves on to another environment. That doesn't take long. For example, if there are hundreds of integrations, Jenkins can deploy them in one or two hours. But, if you don't have Jenkins and you don't have automated scripts, it will be a lot of manual work.

There are currently no one-click solutions. If we had a one-click migration feature, it would have been good. We're still using Jenkins script, it's not too difficult. It takes about one or two hours to deploy hundreds of integrations.

The deployment was done in-house. We are consultants and I am one of the consultants on my team.

We develop on our own. We raise an SR if there is a requirement. And if we have any questions about the product or suggestions for improvements, we do so as an Oracle SR.

I am not aware of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Even if you have no prior experience with Oracle product integrations, it is easy to learn and use because it is mostly, drag and drop. If you are not familiar with coding or development or Java or JavaScript, you can easily learn Oracle Integration Cloud. This is mostly a configuration-based development, and you only need to use your mind and logic to implement it better in a performance-tuned way, but it's very simple. I would recommend that you use it.

It makes integration so quick and simple.

I would rate Oracle Integration Cloud Service an eight out of ten. There is always room for improvement, but eight is definitely a good rating.

We are partners with Oracle.

Jang-Vijay Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consulting Software Engineer at Singhpora Consulting
    Good flow design interface, scalable, and provides a good variety of connectors
    • "OIC offers a number of pre-built technology and SaaS adapters for high productivity for a wide range of target systems, both in-house via agents and cloud/SaaS, via a very flexible range of interfaces."
    • "Configurable timeouts on each connection would be good."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is "systems integration" for my company's enterprise customers across many different industry sectors.

One of our customer projects that use Oracle Integration Cloud or OIC iPaaS is ERP to e-commerce integration. Integration flows were developed for keeping product inventory, prices, addresses in sync between various end-systems. Additional non-functional goals were maintainability, stability, scalability, graceful error-handling, and "predictable performance". The predictability has been verified via repeatable testing and seamless operation in production.

Additionally, we have implemented other use-cases like shipping integration (such as DHL, FedEx), order flows from e-commerce to ERP, & many more granular and custom use cases specific to customer needs (e.g. implementing internal APIs to support larger enterprise business processes or application user interfaces, bulk data reconciliation and many more).

In general, a cloud-based product helps avoid the high lead-up times and maintenance overheads involved in setting up in-house infrastructure, and this is adequately achieved by OIC iPaaS.

OIC, in particular, is also well integrated with Oracle SaaS ERP via "business events" and easy to integrate via Rest APIs (though other integration platforms also offer API-based integration, it makes a lot of sense to use OIC if a customer already uses Oracle SaaS).

OIC offers a number of pre-built technology and SaaS adapters for high productivity for a wide range of target systems, both in-house via agents and cloud/SaaS, via a very flexible range of interfaces. These include APIs by way of Rest/SOAP over http/s, files like ZIP and CSV over filesystem or S/FTP, databases, and more. All of these interface types were utilized in our customer solutions to deliver a range of functionality in the form of "integration flows".

How has it helped my organization?

It offered a natural transition from, and in some cases, it complements Oracle's existing middleware like SOA Suite (now SOACS), Oracle Service Bus, etc, for many but not all use cases.

Furthermore, it offers a compelling solution within the Oracle environment that makes it easier to integrate Oracle SaaS ERP (via business events, APIs) with any other cloud or in-house product that might support many different interface types.

Our organization, as a neutral systems integrator with a "client advocacy" approach, also offers solutions built on open-source platforms like Apache Camel. However, the choice of platform depends on customer preferences, suitability, and fit with the rest of their IT environment. Singhpora Consulting aims to deliver good "Software Engineering" to customers on tools and platforms best suited to them, at least to the extent technically feasible, rather than promote any one particular product.

Customers must however keep in mind that the mere fact that it is "cloud" and "iPaaS" does not mean a zero-effort pay-as-you-go solution. There is still quality technical design and skill required in actually producing a good solution to be deployed on it.

Furthermore, there is still ongoing effort involved in "Systems Administration". This includes functions like physical or virtual network setup and administration, information security, DB administration, patching, updates, etc. These are not directly "iPaaS" functions but important supporting functions, and the quality of these functions can make or break a high-profile project. Some of these functions are also shared between the iPaaS vendor and professionals working for the customer.

This is over and above quality and effort involved in the "Application Development" practice, which is what developers and applications architects do. We develop and deploy integration flows that run on the iPaaS platform.

It is important for customers to keep these expectations clear when making an assessment on skills, budgets, intended outcomes, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Update Aug 2022: The Decisions component (decision table and rules engine) in general is a valuable feature that is closley integrated with the OIC platform's enterprise edition. It can easily be leveraged to externalise logic from deployable code (hence simplifying releases whilst making key business logic more configurable)
    • Easy to provision environments
    • Predictable costs
    • It is easy to scale instances, though scalability also depends on how well designed the actual solution is that is being deployed on Oracle Integration Cloud.
    • Decent designer interface for flow design and manipulation.
    • Easy to promote across environments as environment-specific "Connections" are decoupled from the actual "deployable unit" (the *.iar archive). This is a big plus, as it is better for security (credentials don't leave the environment) and also maintainability (less chance of deployment errors, less chance of promoting a deployable unit meant for TEST into PRODUCTION). Some of the other technologies do not offer this decoupling and I have seen first hand some of the undesirable situations this can lead to in some badly implemented legacy environments.
    • A range of connectors for different interfaces like files, sftp, http/s Rest/SOAP, databases, and more. With OIC, things "just work", with the right skills, experience, and attitude of course.
    • Update Aug 2022: For quite some time now, XSL editing has possible in both Designer and Code modes (some important XSL constructs are simply not viable in the browser based designer even though they have always been editable via an external IDE like JDeveloper)

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made in several areas, as follows:

• Configurable timeouts on each connection would be better than a single global timeout that applies to all. The rationale for why timeouts are necessary is described here: https://weblog.singhpora.com/2019/07/fault-tolerance-in-integration-flows.html  In my opinion, this feature can actually save resources (CPU, memory) for Oracle and also deliver better runtime functionality to customers.
    • Retryable scopes and activities could be useful.
    • Easier ability to edit a DB operation via DBAdapter when a schema changes, such as a column added or removed from a table (Update Aug 2022: it's possible via the wizard but needs a slightly non-intuitive series of steps)
    • Ability to add Java libraries for very corner situations like file/ftp adapter valves, which is a feature that exists in Oracle Service Bus and can be very useful in some rare situations.

We have been using Oracle Integration Cloud Service since Q3 of 2018.

Stability-wise, it is excellent. See the note on scalability. A scalable solution is also stable and predictable in the event of "infinite load".

Scalability is an important non-functional requirement in any software engineering project. Scalability supports two other non-functional requirements: performance (e.g. throughput or data processed per unit time OR response time in a synchronous request-response scenario), and availability (for high availability, the environment needs more instances in a cluster so if one goes down, others can serve requests without causing downtime to consumers)

Scalability depends on two (occasionally competing) aspects:

1. Platform-level scalability; this is the ease of provisioning hardware, VMs, application server instances in a cluster, etc. In the case of Oracle Integration Cloud, this aspect is well abstracted away from application developers and fairly easy to manage. It can easily scale up or down.

2. The second important aspect of scalability is the actual technical design of the application. In OIC's case, "integration flow", that is deployed on the platform.

A well-designed solution can achieve the same performance on a fewer number of instances, less memory, and less CPU. A well-designed solution that is "scalability-friendly" would easily spread its load across multiple instances that might be available to it and its performance (throughput) would ideally improve linearly with an increase in the number of instances. An important quality of a scalable solution is also that in the event of "infinite load", it would only accept as much as it can easily process at a predictable rate given the resources available to it, and would then start accepting more as more resources are made available (a non-scalable solution would simply fail under such an 'overload' situation).

It often happens that some of these application design level aspects of scalability get neglected, therefore, customers often end up incurring unnecessary costs in merely "platform-level" scalability with the expectation that "performance issues" would go away by throwing more OIC instances at an application.

To deliver the best outcome to customers, both of the above perspectives on scalability need to be addressed.

For our customer's use cases, we achieved this with our application design and repeated testing with large data volumes. We did not over-engineer or over-optimize, even when we felt the solution could be enhanced to perform with higher throughput, we took customer's feedback on when the throughput was acceptable for their immediate business objectives.

Technical support is excellent by and large, but could be better and more consistent.

Neutral

The choice of technology depends on the customer's environment, suitability for their use case, preferences, and other needs. We deliver solutions on multiple technologies and each can have pros and cons.

Oracle Integration Cloud was the best suited for some major enterprise customers.

On other customer projects, we have delivered solutions on Mulesoft, Apache Camel, Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Service Bus, and more.

There are many "conceptual" similarities that I can see as a Software Engineer, but there are very many implementation level differences not just limited to technology but also in vendor support, community eco-system, and quality of professionals.

The initial setup was straightforward and it was easy to get productive. Oracle offered initial support and guidance as well, as they were keen for the technology to be adopted.
    However, enterprise customers MUST seek advice from qualified professionals around systems administration and network security, including penetration testing in consultation with Oracle, and must conduct a proper risk assessment as with any other non-trivial enterprise IT system whether or not it is cloud-based.

We developed in-house. Singhpora Consulting was sub-contracted to develop key parts of the solution

Many open-source products can offer a high level of customizability and no upfront licensing cost. However, there can be a high cost involved in provisioning infrastructure, expertise, and other aspects.

In the case of Oracle Integration Cloud, costs can be "predictable" as far as the platform and infrastructure are concerned. The platform offers a range of pre-built adapters and connectors but it is a closed platform controlled by Oracle. This has pros and cons in terms of flexibility versus productivity.

Yes, identical usecases were implemented on multiple platforms to identify the optimal balance of cost, time, and quality

What other advice do I have?

Self-promotion: Please visit https://weblog.singhpora.com or contact us directly on info@singhpora.com

Customers can contact us for no-obligations brief consultations for their use cases where they might consider our future involvement.

Hybrid Cloud

Oracle Integration Cloud Service
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Arun Andavar Nagarajan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Integrates well , reasonably priced, feature-rich, and has helpful technical support
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are the SFTP adapters, file adapters, and risk adapters, that we use in everyday projects."
    • "The error retrying mechanism could be improved. If an error occurs, it can be retried automatically, it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

This can be an Oracle-agnostic tool; it does not have to be Oracle-specific; it can integrate any other tools as well. However, it is very useful for integrating other Oracle applications.

It can easily integrate Oracle Financial Suite, Oracle CPQ, and any other Oracle products, for example. When working with Oracle, this is the unmistakable integration tool we recommend.

This is also an autonomous one, self-service, which is fantastic. If you need more messaging capacity, you can add it on a self-service page in the public cloud. It does a variety of market standard adapters, such as SAP, Google, and Facebook, as well as DocuSign.

How has it helped my organization?

Coupa is a purchasing system that connects purchase invoices to our Oracle payables module. You may not know anything about Coupa, but if you have a Coupa adapter connection, you can drag and drop, and then you can simply get the Coupa connection. It will automatically connect to Coupa and pull data from it.

Because it can easily connect to Oracle natively, it connects to Oracle and pushes data into Oracle. This is one of your use cases. You can also use Concur, which is an expensive product.

Another option is to transfer expense invoices from the Concur system to the Oracle payables model. It's the same thing back and forth; you can even push data from Oracle to Coupa if you need to send an acknowledgment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the SFTP adapters, file adapters, and risk adapters, that we use in everyday projects.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, debugging and error handling, Oracle can be much more user-friendly on this, because clients must provide a much more error handling framework, which is a monitoring framework, that is much better.

The current one has some level of monitoring, but then there are retrying mechanisms, automatically retrying mechanisms and error recovery mechanisms. Those things need to be greatly improved; they have something, but it is very basic.

The error retrying mechanism could be improved. If an error occurs, it can be retried automatically, it would be helpful.

Resilience can be enhanced.

The migration flow has to improve.

They have some kind of agent connecting with the on-premise systems. We need to simplify the process of connecting with non-cloud applications.

If you have to connect to some servers from this cloud to non-cloud, that is a bit of a hassle.

They now have something called an agent for those, but they can simplify it, and the error frameworks can be implemented much more effectively.

ICS is the correct solution but it is a bit old. The advanced version of ICS is called OIC Gen 2 (Oracle Integration Cloud Generation 2).

We probably used ICS a few years ago. Those are now out of date, and Oracle will not be releasing that product. It is probably supported, but Oracle has migrated away from that product at least two years ago. With ICS, you can't just publish that because it's out of date. You may be able to correct it if Oracle upgraded it to OIC.

I have been using Oracle Integration Cloud Service for two or three years. Not recently, but sometime in 2017 or 2018.

In the last 12 months we used it, but not the ICS version; instead, the most recent version was used.

OIC Gen 2 is the latest version.

Stability is, I believe, 90%. 10% is because the runtime system, at times, becomes unstable due to data center issues, or things that have gone wrong in productions. But that is probably only 2% of the problem; the remaining 8% will have intermittent problems.

There are some restrictions. That is something that bothers us because there are some service limitations. For example, the file size is limited to this amount; there are some restrictions. Oracle claims that it is being restricted internally due to performance issues.

If you use a file larger than a GB or something, they offer very different adapters with different restrictions, that is all.

According to the current situation, we will either split the file and then manage it internally. But it adds a lot of, sometimes unnecessary, overhead for us because the team implements; we need to improve that. There are some things they can work on to improve.

The solution is only used by the core IT team; no one else uses it.  It will be a five-person team from the client's side.

Not more than five, because the client's IT teams are limited to five people, and they only manage it. There are a maximum of five people.

We use it every day.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate technical support as four. 1 percent of the time, Oracle responses, support status, depending on the engineer, I believe 1 percent will be a good or bad experience.

Positive

On the technology side, we have something called Oracle Autonomous Database or Oracle Integration Cloud on the platform.

Google Cloud Platform I worked with a few years ago, but not recently. However, I am currently involved with Oracle Cloud.

We were using it for one of our Mexican clients. We probably used it for a year and a half. They are still using it, but I am not in contact with that client, but everything is going well for them.

I understand the fundamentals of Google Cloud SQL as well as other frameworks they provide, such as Spark. We also used their database.

Spark by Apache. That is something; that was used to handle all of the panel processing tasks and was something we didn't have in Oracle. We won't have as much leverage in Oracle, but we'll have many tools.

We use them primarily for performance handling. Heavy data can be easily processed in a memory partition, which they do in the memory, and then process in different pipelines concurrently, which is made efficient. That was really good, and they had a lot of leverage in terms of monitoring those files that were being loaded into the system. They had detailed logging and could monitor everything from their consoles. Which is good.

I am familiar with the Java Cloud and the Developer Cloud, but neither was used by us. Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing, also known as ATP, is what we used. Not mobile Autonomous Transaction Processing Database It has nothing to do with mobile; it is simply Oracle or ATP.

The beauty of this Autonomous Transaction Processing is that it is nothing more than a database, but it is not the database cluster that Oracle provides. The main advantage of this is that, as you can see, everything is managed internally by artificial intelligence. You want to scale the processor's memory, but everything is already scaled.

There is no DVA to maintain that; it all happens automatically. When you submit a request, it is automatically adjusted and scalable.

Not Oracle Data Integration Cloud Service, which is designed specifically for data conversion, but rather a middleware, solution from Oracle, that is known as SOA Suite. Oracle has an SOA suite, but the thinner version of it is, and this is one Oracle is promoting, it is Oracle Integration Cloud.

Google is in Oracle because we are mostly all Oracle. Oracle, because we only tried the Google platform once because the client specifically requested it.

We normally recommend it because this Oracle product integrates with all Oracle products and we only implement Oracle products. This easily connects with all Oracle products in the ecosystem, the time you save is actually beneficial.

Then this product is very specific to Oracle, it can be general, but it has very good features when trying to integrate with Oracle products.

The initial setup is easy.

I would rate the initial setup a four out of five.

This is where the deployment side comes into play. Oracle does not provide an out-of-the-box way to migrate or deploy from one environment to another. This needs to be improved. We can do it in a custom way, but Oracle should have some sort of migration flow.

This solution requires a developer, an administrator, and multiple developers to maintain it. I mean, depending on the size of your project, you can have a minimum of 2, 3 up to 10, depending on the complexity of your system.

As this is a cloud, I have seen a return on investment. It has reduced the number of administrators required to maintain the servers, but this is due to the fact that they are autonomous self-services.

I would rate it a five out of five.

Licensing costs vary from client to client, depending on the client's other products purchased.

They look at discounts, and these are all based on a contract, not a flat rate. It specifies how much data you use and how much storage you require, among other things.

Depending on the requirements. For example, it depends on the message, and how much data throughput will go through.

I would rate the price a three out of five.

I know there are many other competing products, but Oracle can probably be a little bit cheaper than this.

There are no additional fees to the standard licensing fee.

We explored Google, as well as MuleSoft, and Dell has an integration solution.

What other advice do I have?

In general, there are multiple platforms with the Oracle platform. For example, in Google Cloud, one of the services is a database. Oracle can also have multiple services, corresponding database service, that is an Oracle database service. But, to the best of my knowledge, that framework is not available in Oracle. Google is more Java-based, so they have a lot of Java frameworks that can be used.

We will recommend this to all of our clients because it is a feature that Oracle is promoting, and it is working well for us.

We recommend that you use this product.

I strongly advise them to use this if they are using Oracle-related solutions, and they can definitely try it because, in addition to Oracle, it has other connectivities, such as I mentioned Concur, Coupa, and SAP. They have connectors for that as well, they should try it out.

I would rate Oracle Integration Cloud Service an eight out of ten.

The remaining two are due to pending items. It's a bit lightweight. When it comes to heavy volume data handling, they should improve something, but the rest is fine.

We are Oracle's golden partners. We implement Oracle products.

Kanhaiya Chandra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at Tata Consultancy
    Simple, stable, and cuts down development time
    • "Oracle Integration Cloud Service is a really good product and the ROI is very good with it. It lowers development time. A development cycle that may have taken a year without Oracle Integration Cloud Service can drop down to three or four months with it."
    • "Sometimes, the tech support is slow to get back to us. We have had to wait up to two weeks for a response."

What is our primary use case?

Our typical use case is getting data, either real-time or bulk data. So, in the case of bulk data, we use Oracle Integration Cloud Service to get to an FTP location and read the file from the FTP location and do the necessary transforms in the solution and send it to the Oracle Cloud.

For real-time, we use Oracle Integration Cloud Service to expose the guest services to the consumers. We send data to the Oracle Integration Cloud Service from on-premise applications. After that, we send it to Oracle Cloud and other third-party application file sorts. For example, we integrated with a bank in the past. We sent data to HSBC bank and City Bank using the Oracle Integration Cloud Service.

What is most valuable?

The features I find the most valuable are the schedule and app-driven integrations. Some 90% of our use cases are covered by these two components. Sometimes we have to create a PaaS component. For that, we have to go for the DVCS screen in case the customer wants to have a screen where they can visualize their data.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with the Process Cloud Service (PCS) component. I would like to be able to implement a workflow in the PCS component because it is not as straightforward to use, even with help from the documentation. We are always having to take training if we want to implement a PCS component. The PCS component is the most complicated aspect of Oracle Integration Cloud Service. The PCS component should either be improved or Oracle should create some training documentation for this component specifically. I have not been able to find any training documentation for the PCS component.

Oracle has parent and child integrations and once the parent submits a job to the child, it doesn't wait for a response. Some of our use cases are more complicated and there may be one parent integration and two child integrations. In this scenario, if one child finishes first, the parent may remove the second child's integration. This sort of scenario is difficult to resolve because the parent calls the child one integration and does not wait for the response.

In most of the scenarios we have, the child one integration should be completed before the child two integration is called, but the solution doesn't behave in that way. It parallel calls both child one integration and child two integration. What we often do is avoid the parent and child relationship and go for one big complex integration where you do everything for the parent.

I have been working with Oracle Integration Cloud Service for three to four years, typically integrating on-premises applications with the cloud.

I find Oracle Integration Cloud Service pretty simple and stable.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service is scalable. We have not had any performance issues with it. It behaves well.

Sometimes, the tech support is slow to get back to us. We have had to wait up to two weeks for a response. However, if we follow up on a ticket, they do respond fast.

Neutral

The Oracle Integration Cloud Service initial setup is easy. It is simple to understand and learn. However, we have run into a few problems on the Oracle SaaS cloud side. We have had to create a tech support ticket with Oracle to get our issue resolved.

We do deployments in-house. We usually have a small deployment team, in addition to an on-premises team, which takes care of the on-premise applications. We also have an Oracle ERP Cloud team, which takes care of the functional aspects of Oracle in Oracle ERP Cloud.

Our deployment team usually consists of two to three people. How big the deployment team is depends on the number of integrations, but it is fairly simple in the OIC.

The development team will usually include 10 people, however, we ramp it down to six people for maintenance.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service is a really good product and the ROI is very good with it. It lowers development time. A development cycle that may have taken a year without Oracle Integration Cloud Service can drop down to three or four months with it.

I do not deal with the licensing costs directly but I have seen the numbers. Whenever we have to get a license for the OIC, we have to get at least three environments: production, development, and UI test instance. The cost for these three instances is about $100,000 per year.

I find the licensing a little expensive. If customers are already using Oracle products, they can often get deals and bring down their costs.

What other advice do I have?

We do have trouble with a lack of knowledge about Oracle Integration Cloud Service. Sometimes, customers want us to achieve certain things with integrations that are not so simple. Those use cases are tricky and OIC is not the right solution for all use cases.

My advice to those looking to implement Oracle Integration Cloud Service is this: you have to have experience with hand-on integration and developing integrations before you can work in a live scenario.

On a scale of one to 10, with one being the worst and 10 being the best, I would rate Oracle Integration Cloud Service with an eight for overall performance.

Hybrid Cloud

Technology Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use but is not compatible with other clouds
    • "The most valuable feature of Oracle Integration Cloud Service is its ease of use. We do not depend on any tool to develop it. Everything is on the browser and is easy to integrate, even for someone who does not understand a lot about coding."
    • "While most of the adapters are available through Oracle Integration Cloud Services, they do not have a lot of features. I would like to see some enrichment in this area and for the solution to go deeper into the applications and upgrade the adapters."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Technology Architect. Our company is an IT service company. We develop integrated solutions for different clients.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service is part of enterprise-wide integrations. It integrates different applications from both inside and outside the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The product improved our organization due to the available adapters, which are already provided with the product licenses. This helps us integrate with new cloud applications such as CRM, ERP, or any other cloud application. The proprietary adapters are already available, giving us the upper hand to integrate with different applications.

What is most valuable?

Everything from development to deployment is seamless. It is a one-stop shop for all integration.

What needs improvement?

When comparing the solution to its on-premise solution which is also in the Oracle space, Oracle Suite, it is not as feature-rich as the on-premise solutions. It is still at a different level and will take some time to reach that level.

In future releases, Oracle could benefit from improvements to orchestration and level of monitoring. Some design aspects are not present in orchestration and there needs to be a more granular level of monitoring or more dashboards.

I would like to see this product be more compatible and support the deployment on other clouds like AWS or Azure.

I have been working with Oracle Integration Cloud for six years.

This is a very stable solution.

Oracle Integration Cloud Service is scalable. It's all configurations. We have approximately 500 people using this solution including IT developers, IT leads, IT designers, and IT architects.

Oracle takes care of the server maintenance and patching. Deployment is taken care of by the developers.

Support at Oracle is good, but not excellent. It takes time to resolve some issues.

In the past, we used Oracle Suite.

The initial setup of Oracle Integration Cloud Service is straightforward. Nothing needs to be done. Deployment takes minutes. I would rate the initial setup a five out of five.

We deploy in-house as we are using different DevOp tools for deployments. Oracle Integration Cloud Service supports all kinds of DevOps tools, so it is up to the client how they want to deploy the solution.

Our clients procure the licenses from Oracle and negotiate their own deals. The pricing varies. The solution is less expensive than other products.

What other advice do I have?

This product only supports the deployment on Oracle's own cloud, it does not support AWS or Azure. This may deter other vendors who do not wish to deploy on Oracle Cloud.

Any organization that uses Oracle applications will find this solution very convenient to move into the proper cloud setup. If they require a cloud-to-cloud integration within a short timeframe, this would be an easy solution to use without issue.

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

SandeepGoyal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager at Genpact - Headstrong
    MSP
    Stable, flexible, and offers good integration capabilities
    • "The initial setup is easy."
    • "The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

If I want to integrate with my on-premise application at the financial organization finance, I can do so. I can use the SAT finance and I have Oracle Fusion as my HR solution. I can send information from Oracle Fusion to Oracle SAP. Integration is required and I can use OICS for the dashboard. I can use two types of approaches - one is a real-time approach, and another is the best processing approach. I would always prefer to go with that best processing approach, and if we set a middle layer. It's good, however, to have options.

In the middle layer, I can set up one type of integration - a Journey integration. With the Journey integration, are have personal-related information. It is already, readily, available.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good product.

It offers a lot of stability and flexibility.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution did use to have stability issues, however, that is now dealt with.

The solution is expensive.

We would always prefer any solution to be more secure.

I'd rate the solution for three to four years now. I've used it for a while.

For the first few years, the solution was not stable. It is much more stable now in this instance. It's been stable for about two years or so now.

We have seven or eight clients using this solution currently. They use a variety of other Oracle products as well that we have helped arrange.

Oracle has a great dedicated service team. If you have to make a service request, you will get the solution. A forum is also available as are landing guides, which are quite helpful. Based on my experience, they are readily available to assist in multiple ways.

The initial setup is easy. However, the provisioning is employee-based. The provisioning is based on the message list, that we have purchased.

It did not take that long especially if you have already worked with or had Oracle. Some pre-setup is required, from an organizational perspective. For us, we took data from our on-premises system and installed the OIC agent.

Our middle layer isn't accessible from anywhere purposefully. That integration was via the internet only.

In general, the setup and other requirements surrounding the implementation will take time. We had to arrange policies, et cetera, before even beginning the setup process.

The price could be better and they need to work on their licensing model to make it easier for users.

What other advice do I have?

We are an implementor. I'm also an Oracle Prime customer. I'm currently using that Oracle for many years and I have a complete ecosystem in Oracle.

Earlier, due to instability, at that time I would never suggest that anyone go with that OICS, integration cloud service. However, now that Oracle has improved a lot in the OIC part, I would recommend it. However, it depends on that ecosystem. If the surrounding technology is related to Oracle, it's a great integration tool. I would always prefer that OICS. However, some SAP or some other tools might not be as available and we would have to build some custom solution. Of course, rather than the customized adapter, we would prefer to go with a standardized one. It really just depends on the environment.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: implementer
    Jang-Vijay Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consulting Software Engineer at Singhpora Consulting
    A stable solution that provides the ease of promotion and connection management and has a number of pre-built connectors
    • "It has a number of pre-built connectors. Its flow designer is also valuable. It provides the ease of promotion between environments and the ease of connection management. It is also stable and easy to scale and deploy."
    • "It lacks configurable time-outs on connections. Configurable time-outs is an important nonfunctional property that it is currently missing. I have also written about it in an article, and I have also submitted some enhancement requests. Its visual designer could be a bit more responsive. It would also be good to get more XSLT editing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and Oracle Integration Cloud Service is one of the solutions we work with. We also work with other vendor solutions such as Apache Camel. We provide solutions depending on the environment and preferences of our customers.

I am basically connecting a number of backend systems or creating the API backends for shipping, e-commerce, and ERP integrations. There are a number of use cases, such as product price updates to e-commerce, pricing and inventory information, ERP backend, and e-commerce front end.

How has it helped my organization?

Better agility (proofs of concepts are easier to set up) - easier to provision and scale environments. Of course, this applies to 'non production' POC's only.

For a serious enterprise system, other non-trivial considerations like performance, security, quality, release management still need thorough assessment. On balance these are better managed via OIC

What is most valuable?

It has a number of pre-built connectors. Its flow designer is also valuable.

It provides the ease of promotion between environments and the ease of connection management. It is also stable and easy to scale and deploy.

What needs improvement?

It lacks configurable time-outs on connections. Configurable time-outs is an important nonfunctional property that it is currently missing (these are applied internally and globally by Oracle). I have also written about it in an article, and I have also submitted some enhancement requests.

Its visual designer could be a bit more responsive.

I have been using this solution since late 2018.

It is a stable solution, but the caveat is that it also depends on the applications deployed on it. At a normal level, it is very stable, apart from the configurable time-out problem that can be worked around.

It is easy to scale.

I work for a customer, and he has other vendors with a support team of more than ten people. Oracle also provided the support, and I would rate them a seven out of ten.

Positive

I have also used Apache Camel and Mulesoft's ESB. Oracle Integration Cloud Service does not have customizations as Apache Camel, but it is easier to use than Apache Camel. It is a balance or trade-off between ease of use and higher productivity versus greater customizability.

The initial setup was very straightforward. One can be productive very quickly.

It has different licensing models. The most upfront and most transparent is the pay-as-you-go model. It also has a certain messages-per-hour limit. There is a certain amount that is charged per hour, and a certain number of messages are included in it, which you can scale up as you go. Its licensing is very competent and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Integration Cloud Service a nine out of ten. It basically works.

Other
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Systems Integrator
    Nirav Sangahvi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Oracle SOA Lead at VividEdge Corp
    Has a large list of supported adapters and good security; there are integration issues with some apps
    • "Provides various ways to secure services as well as providing extensive support."
    • "There is a payload size limit and we're unable to integrate some legacy applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are vendors and implement this solution for our clients. I'm a senior Oracle SOA lead.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented this solution in an organization that was able to use OIC without having to procure any hardware. They bought the subscription and implemented quickly. It's the main advantage of the product.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many valuable features including a large list of supported adapters and security. It provides various ways to secure services as well as providing extensive support.

What needs improvement?

I think this product is evolving and there are certain areas where there are still some limitations. The solution has a payload size limit and there are some legacy applications we'd like to integrate but can't. We can get what we need using our on-premise product, but not OIC. Our clients generally have on-premise servers and they have processes they'd like to convert to OIC but they're not supported and so our clients look for other solutions. I would like to see more flexibility regarding accessibility to files.

I've been using this solution for a couple of years.

The solution is generally stable. Sometimes changes come through that are not supported by OIC and we have to find a workaround and modify them manually.

The solution is scalable but we haven't tested that yet. We tried to download a large file from a CM cloud but services were getting timed out because it took longer than five minutes.

Technical support is generally okay but some of the staff are not sufficiently experienced.

For basic requirements, the initial setup is easy but when you start integrating more complex applications, it can become more complicated. We carried out a deployment that included the build, design, and development to production and it took about six months for around 10 processes. We have three developers who work on OIC and we maintain, develop and enhance the product.

I'm unaware of licensing costs but I know that Oracle requires the purchase of two separate products, with separate billing. If I want one integration with API CS, I have to pay twice for the one call. It's one of the major factors for clients not choosing this product and it should be included in the API CS part of OIP.

We're always evaluating other tools like Microsoft Azure which might be more useful for some of our clients.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth evaluating all options including on-prem ones as well as other products in the market, like MuleSoft and Microsoft Azure, comparing features and cost. You might choose a product based on cost and then find there will be limitations in terms of the features it provides.

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Other
    Download our free Oracle Integration Cloud Service Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022