IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Cloud is #7 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give Oracle Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: Oracle Cloud vs Amazon AWS. Oracle Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Cloud?

Oracle Cloud is the industry’s broadest and most integrated public cloud. It offers best-in-class services across software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and even lets you put Oracle Cloud in your own data center. Oracle Cloud helps organizations drive innovation and business transformation by increasing business agility, lowering costs, and reducing IT complexity.

Oracle Cloud Customers

Kenya Airways, Cell, Panasonic, Frontera, M&C Saatchi, Lumentum, WA

Oracle Cloud Video

Oracle Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Cloud pricing:
  • "The subscription is a pay-as-you-go model, with fees that are dependent on usage."
  • "The subscription cost is too high."
  • "Improvements can be made with respect to flexibility in the licensing model."
  • "We pay the subscription cost."
  • "The pricing is the best."
  • "Pricing needs to be improved."
  • Oracle Cloud Reviews

WilfredThomson - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Offers many good database options and is highly available, but the number of supported regions is limited
    • "The strength of this product is that they have many good database options, compared to other vendors."
    • "They offer some basic services but the choice is not as rich as other cloud providers."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Cloud is a very broad portfolio. They have a very good infrastructure as a service, IaaS portfolio, which has a core function of compute, storage, and networking. I have been using Oracle Cloud for learning and certification. I have not yet used it in a project for one of our customers, but I definitely plan to increase my usage in the future.

What is most valuable?

The strength of this product is that they have many good database options, compared to other vendors. In particular, they provide various Oracle database options, which is a unique offering. They offer multiple versions of their own database so that customers have a lot of choices. Another advantage to Oracle Cloud is the pricing. First, the cost of the basic service is not expensive. Second, the data-out pricing is very liberal. A lot of other vendors charge heavily for getting data out of the platform, but Oracle's policy is very attractive for many customers.

What needs improvement?

The global coverage in terms of the number of regions that are supported is very limited.  They should really consider improving the availability of this product in more locations. This would help customers to better serve their own clients across different regions. For example, I do not have a local region for coverage in Dubai. My understanding is that it will be coming within the next six months, but there are many other cities that don't have it locally available. Customers with data residency laws need to have their data stored locally, so better coverage is important. Compared to providers like AWS or Azure, they do not have a large portfolio of services such as artificial intelligence, IoT, or blockchain. They offer some basic services but the choice is not as rich as other cloud providers.

I have been using Oracle Cloud for three months.
    Oracle Cloud
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

My impression of the stability is that it's good.

There are good options with respect to scalability. They offer fault domain, which is an option not available with other cloud providers. The high availability options are also good. The only problem with respect to scalability is that they do not cover too many regions.

I did not have to contact technical support with a problem, although I was receiving good support during my evaluation of the product. There were people from the Oracle support team who were calling to see whether I needed help, and trying to figure out why I had not been using the evaluation period to its fullest. For example, they were willing to extend the evaluation period. Overall, my initial customer experience from the support team was good.

I am currently using Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, and Oracle Cloud. For specific workloads, we might use AWS, but when it comes to database-intensive workloads then Oracle definitely has an edge.

The first time I tried to set up the service, I found it a little bit complex because they had two separate logins for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and Oracle Cloud Platform. However, after a few months when I tried it a second time, these two were integrated and it was much better. They now have a combined experience for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and Oracle Cloud Platform. The length of time required for deployment depends on the solution. In my case, I was trying different services so it is difficult to estimate. That said, I would say that generally, it is easy to deploy.

The subscription is a pay-as-you-go model, with fees that are dependent on usage. The monthly fee will vary based on how much compute, storage, and networking you use.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Cloud is definitely a product that I recommend, especially for existing Oracle customers. If you have an Oracle database then you should definitely look into it. Similarly, if you have an Oracle SaaS application then you should definitely consider using this platform because there are a lot of integration points. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the terminology that is used. This can be done by reviewing the content available on the Oracle website, learning the concepts and terminology that they use. This is important because some of it is slightly different from AWS and Azure, so it is good to have knowledge about topics such as fault domain, tenancy, and compartments. There are certain things that are unique to Oracle and it would be a good thing to do a basic course, which is available on the website, to help speed up your learning curve. I think that over the years, Oracle has come a long way and they have improved a lot. They are doing a lot of things the right way. That said, they do not have a breadth of services. More can be offered in terms of analytics, AI, IoT, and blockchain. Although I would expect more services to come in the future, AWS and Azure currently have the edge in this regard. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other
    Kopano  Ramaphoi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Freelancer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to set up autonomous databases make it easy to automate your services
    • "The product gives you independence from hardware onsite, the setup is easy, and there is no need for hardware maintenance."
    • "The price of the subscription is too high and excludes some potential customers."

What is our primary use case?

We have customers working with these services and we work with those clients. Specifically, cloud services are made up of autonomous databases. There is an OCI (Oracle Call Interface) and this is configured depending exactly on the service that you want to use. When you talk about an autonomous database it makes it is easy to automate your services. You do not have to worry about the purchase and the upgrading of databases because Oracle will be taking care of those things.

Right now, here in our country, we are experiencing a problem where people are not able to understand the importance of this autonomous database architecture. My take is that it is the type of service that can elevate a certain type of company.

Most people are worried about putting their databases on the cloud because they worry about security issues. But with cloud end-customers, most of the people respond in a promising way now.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the independence from hardware onsite, the ease of setup, and the lack of need for maintenance.

What needs improvement?

So far, I do not have ant problems with the product. But I think that Oracle — especially for people in Africa — can look at the issues with subscriptions. They could make it so that people are able to have a better experience in trying out the product as that might lead to more adoption. Maybe they could look at reducing the price of the subscription because most of us are not able to afford it at the current level. The price in the subscription, for those who may want to subscribe to the cloud as a customer, keeps those potential customers from even considering it as a solution. Some of us are struggling a bit.

We have been working with Oracle Cloud for less than six months.

Oracle is stable. Stability is built into the cloud. The reliability of the connection is the only potential problem.

Oracle Cloud is highly scalable. We are definitely going to use this product in the future and plan on scaling our usage with our customers. The way that end-users and potential customers are responding to the product is promising. A year ago when you talk about the cloud, people would not even listen to what you were saying.

Unfortunately, right now there is no one in our company who is using the product. We do not have our own subscription. We are still trying to expand our customer base and secure more customers to use the service.

I can not say anything about the technical support, because I have not done anything with the cloud that made it necessary for me to consult with them. My take is that because of the way Oracle Cloud has been designed, it is user friendly. This is especially true for the infrastructure as a service.

The way it is deployed, it is not going to be difficult to administer the infrastructure as a service on the client side.

Even though I did not do a lot of setups, my take is that the navigation of the setup process is user-friendly and conceptualized well. I think most people — even if they are not a DBA — can deploy a database on Oracle Cloud. Because the interface is so user-friendly and the navigation is not hard, it does not take a lot of effort to accomplish your task. Deployment takes just a few minutes for creating a situation where you are just testing. But it will take just a few hours for a live environment.

I did not use an integrator, reseller, or consultant for the deployment. I was not necessary and I was able to complete it just doing it by myself.

The cost of the subscription is high and may exclude many customers, especially in my country.

I only use Oracle, but recently, I was looking at the vendor Salesforce. I was looking at their website and I think their concept and approach are quite interesting. It may be applicable for some of our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, definitely. In a way, I am already working on that with potential customers by recommending its use for them. Most of the features that I have used in the product are good and I am happy with it. Oracle is good in terms of how they do things.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Oracle Cloud as an eight-out-of-ten.

Oracle Cloud
    June 2022
    610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of Security at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good availability with low implementation costs but needs better scripting methodology
    • "The pricing isn't too bad."
    • "The solution could always be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We have an application and run this application on this Infrastructure element. That's our primary use case for this product.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization's implementation and running costs. It's saved us money already, in just a few short months.

What is most valuable?

We plan to use the solution to service our databases.

The solution's availability is quite good.

The implementation costs are quite low. The pricing isn't too bad.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the creation process for server fonts and the usability and scripting methodology. There's a lot of room for improvement so far.

Technical support is pretty good, however, it could be improved upon.

The solution could always be less expensive.

If the product could add HSM services to the infrastructure service, that could make it better.

We've been using the solution for about six months at this point. It hasn't been a year yet. It's still relatively new.

If we're just speaking about the database, it's a very stable solution. In terms of the cloud aspect, we are still at the very beginning. It's still quite new to us as a product. We will see when we have relevant experience with real operational statistics. Therefore, it's difficult to make a statement on stability in general. I don't have enough information.

We don't have the relevant experience yet to really discuss scalability. It's not something that we have attempted yet, with the product still being so new to us. We need more time to really figure that part out.

Technical support has been pretty good so far. I'd give them a rating of eight out of ten. We're mostly satisfied with the service they've provided. They are knowledgeable and responsive. That said, it could be slightly improved.

While the installation was relatively easy, there is some complexity involved when you get into the scripting methodology. To create at least 10 or 40 databases with the same scripting is not really easy.

The deployment took around two or so weeks.

In terms of pricing, as far as I've heard from my colleagues and the management, it is an acceptable price. However, they would still be interested in a cheaper solution.

If they did attempt to evaluate another solution, at the time, I was not at the company. Since I have been around, they have only been interested in the Oracle solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller partner.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're mostly happy with the solution, however, there are aspects that can be improved upon.

I would recommend this product to companies who are really familiar with the earlier version of Oracle databases.

Information Technology Service Delivery Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable, all-in-one system for our ERP and HCM applications
    • "What I like best about Oracle Cloud is that it is an all-in-one system for everything."
    • "The integration tools that they offer are quite complex to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are ERP and HCM systems.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about Oracle Cloud is that it is an all-in-one system for everything.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made with respect to flexibility in the licensing model.

The deployment should be simpler to do.

The integration tools that they offer are quite complex to use. It would be nice if integration with the SAS tools were a bit easier for end-users. There is no user-friendly interface to navigate for this. If you look at a competing product like Salesforce, it's quite easy to write your own rules. They're not strictly speaking integrations, but it's easy to do your own configuration on new fields and relationships with fields for certain other parts of the system. With Oracle, it is a lot harder to do.

I have been working with Oracle Cloud for one year.

We haven't had trouble with respect to stability.

This product scales according to our needs and does what it claims.

We have approximately 4,000 users.

I have been in contact with technical support and I would say that they are good, albeit disconnected. They seem to work in silos, where some parts of the business understand their part well, but they don't understand the entirety of the Oracle solution well.

Onboarding Oracle is very complex and we are still halfway through the implementation. In total, it will take about a year and a half to deploy.

We are using an Oracle consultant to assist us with the deployment, and I can't say that I am satisfied with their service so far.

We have two or three in-house engineers who perform the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Oracle Cloud is to take it one step at a time. It is a good product and one that I recommend. Our implementation experience hasn't been great, but I think that the system is fine.

Other
    Sr. Manager, Information Technology at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to setup, with good manageability and good support
    • "The most valuable features are the manageability and the user interface."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see more automation."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the manageability and the user interface.

What needs improvement?

The internal training program has to be exchanged with the customers more. This is something that has already been initiated.

The user interface could be improved and be further simplified.

Technical support is good but they could be better.

In the next release, I would like to see more automation.

We have been using Oracle for two years.

We are working with the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

Oracle Cloud is a scalable solution.

From an application point of view, we have approximately 200 users who are using the services on the Oracle Cloud.

The technical support is good.

Previously, I used Oracle Database and switched to Oracle Cloud. It was a single point of ownership, so it was the right fit for us.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took approximately 15 to 20 minutes to deploy.

We have a team of two; one is a manager and one in IT to maintain this solution.

We did not use a vendor team or reseller. We completed the implementation on our own.

We pay the subscription cost.

What other advice do I have?

At this time we are not using any products for hyper-converged infrastructure. We do have some computers for hyper-converged, however, those products are not moving very much.

We have moved our mission-critical workloads onto the cloud or we are using them on-premises for a traditional approach.

We have plans to use continue using this solution in the future.

I would this product to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Oracle Cloud an eight out of ten.

Sr. Principal Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Secure, scales well, and the pricing is good

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for the Oracle Databases that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

It is more secure and more controlled than an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

We use the Data Warehouse a lot.

What needs improvement?

They could add more features.

Technical support could improve, they could have more resources for troubleshooting.

I have been using Oracle Cloud for more than four years.

We are using the Generation 2 version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any bugs or glitches.

The scalability is good. Our organization does not have users, rather, we are service providers. Our customers are the users and we have more than 100 of tem.

We have used technical support a couple of times. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

Previously, we were using another solution but decided that we wanted to move toward Oracle products.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The pricing is the best.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Cloud is the best option.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reliable and includes several adaptors for integration with other solutions
    • "The most valuable feature is that it offers several adaptors."
    • "The configuration through the cloud is complicated. It's not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have the licenses and we provide the development, implementation, and support.

We provide services to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it offers several adaptors.

What needs improvement?

The configuration through the cloud is complicated. It's not straightforward.

With the on-premises version, FTP, P2P, or any adaptors were directly configurable. Now, with the Cloud, we have to make some changes in the settings and configuration.

It is not scalable.

The support is average, they could be better.

I have 15 years of experience in IT. With Oracle Cloud, I have more than two years.

Oracle Cloud is stable.

It's not scalable.

I have contacted technical support. It's a field service and I get a quick resolution, but with some, they take their time. They are average.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Cloud to anyone who is interested in using it, but there are some limitations.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Devops & OpenShift Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Good interface, but the price could be better and the support team should have more knowledge

What is our primary use case?

We provide support for our clients using Oracle Cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Interface.

What needs improvement?

Areas that need improvement are the pricing and the support.

I have been using Oracle Cloud for one year.

We are using the cloud version.

I have more than 20 admins on my team who are using this solution.

Technical support needs to be more knowledgeable. This is an area that needs improvement.

We also have experience with VMware infrastructure.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

The length of the deployment depends on whether is it cloud-based or on-premises, and if it is pre-configured.

Pricing needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Cloud a six out of ten.