Oracle Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Cloud is the #8 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give Oracle Cloud an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Oracle Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: Oracle Cloud vs Amazon AWS. Oracle Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Cloud?

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure has all the services you need to migrate, build, and run all your IT, from existing enterprise workloads to new cloud native applications and data platforms.

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solution that helps enterprises streamline all cloud computing processes such as handling data migration, configuring virtual machines, controlling access to cloud resources and more. It provides businesses with non-volatile memory express (NVMe) drives to store, archive or manage large data volumes and a storage gateway to protect data from web threats.

The mobile hub allows developers to build, manage, and deploy mobile applications, which can be connected to Oracle ERP, CX, HCM, and other third-party systems in cloud or on-premise environments.

The application offers a cloud access security broker (CASB) tool, which enables organizations to analyze threats using user-behavior analytics (UBA) and third-party feedback. Features of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure include vulnerability analysis, data migration, email alerts, log data analytics, cost management, issue tracking, code versioning, IT infrastructure monitoring, access control, and tagging. Administrators can determine and resolve anomalies in real-time, manage customer experience using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), and track changes across resources via notifications. The Web Application Firewall (WAF) allows enterprises to secure applications against cyber attacks and malicious traffic using security tools such as bots and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS).

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure provides RESTful APIs, which let enterprises build cloud applications. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Domain Name System (DNS) helps businesses manage, create, and add various DNS records. Organizations can store files in a centralized repository, manage data transfer processes, and build AI-enabled assistants using the Oracle Digital Assistant platform.

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure comes with an API, which facilitates integration with several third-party platforms. It is available to users for free and on monthly subscriptions. Support is extended via online measures.

Why Customers are Choosing OCI:

• Cloud services where you need them

• Optimize enterprise apps without costly rearchitecture

• Build and run cloud native or third-party apps with open source tools

• Harness your data to uncover new business value
  • Oracle Cloud is the industry’s broadest and most integrated public cloud. It offers best-in-class services across software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and even lets you put Oracle Cloud in your own data center. Oracle Cloud helps organizations drive innovation and business transformation by increasing business agility, lowering costs, and reducing IT complexity.

Oracle Cloud Customers

Kenya Airways, Cell, Panasonic, Frontera, M&C Saatchi, Lumentum, WA

Oracle Cloud Video

Oracle Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Cloud pricing:
  • "The price for Oracle Cloud may seem expensive, but if you start comparing features and what Oracle offers, you'll realize that the pricing for Oracle Cloud is competitive. If you consider every aspect of Oracle Cloud, you'll see that its price tag is reasonable because it has a good user interface, user experience, and management. Oracle Cloud is a sophisticated infrastructure and the level of management it allows you to enjoy isn't available in other solutions, so I wouldn't worry about needing to invest huge money into it because it's a wonderful product to use."
  • "Its pricing is complex, but as partners, we can get away with quite a bit of discounting because we deal with them directly. I would rate their pricing probably a one or two out of five because they're quite expensive. Microsoft Azure will probably be the cheapest because depending on the Microsoft product that you have, they have some sort of bundling. There are things that they give you to get you onto Azure. AWS is probably somewhere in the middle."
  • "The pricing is the best."
  • "Pricing needs to be improved."
  • Oracle Cloud Reviews

Venkatraman Bhat - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deliver Head - Database and Infrastructure cloud services at Tech Mahindra Limited
    Flexible and high-performing, with high availability and excellent technical support
    • "Oracle Cloud has wonderful features and offerings as a service. It's not just a pure-play cloud product or SaaS application. It has a complete suite from infrastructure to platform as a service to software as a service, and this is what I find most valuable in Oracle Cloud. For infrastructure on the cloud or infrastructure as a service on the cloud, there's OCI (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure). Oracle Cloud is easily available. You just click it. I also found the feature of creating a landing zone valuable. Oracle Cloud is also very flexible as it lets you have a hybrid cloud model along with other cloud solutions. I also like that it offers good management on the cloud. Oracle Cloud is ready to use as a service, and that's wonderful because the time to market is very quick. I also like that Oracle Cloud offers high performance and high availability. A lot of people claim that there's high availability in their companies' cloud operations, but technically speaking, pure high availability in today's context is found in Oracle Cloud."
    • "What I'd like to see from Oracle Cloud is an option for the customer to have a single portal to manage and monitor not just Oracle Cloud, but some of the on-premise products in the hybrid scenario as well. If it can be shipped out as an out-of-the-box solution, that would be wonderful. It's not so easy, but for a company like Oracle, it shouldn't be a problem. Many customers go through a lot of effort and burn money to achieve this, so it's an opportunity for Oracle to provide it for customers looking for this type of solution."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Cloud has many use cases, and even open-source or non-Oracle products can be hosted on it. Some customers of my company even host SAP applications on Oracle Cloud. People use it for healthcare applications and other third-party applications. People also use it for development purposes.

Oracle has Development Cloud Services bundled with Java, so people use it for application development. Oracle Cloud is also being used for high-performance computing, for example, in wireless industries with crash tests or speed tests that create a huge amount of data in a short period.

Other use cases for Oracle Cloud include large-scale migrating and hosting of databases, for example, enterprise-class databases and open-source databases, which is something that my company does.

Oracle Cloud is also used for hosting ERP products such as SAP Oracle, Oracle ERP, EQL, JD Edwards, etc. It's also used for engineering, for example, GIS applications.

Currently, my company has one customer doing a POC and plans to go live in early 2023, once the POC is approved. For this customer, Oracle Cloud will be utilized for multiple GIS applications, collecting location data through IoT, etc.

Oracle Cloud has multiple use cases. In the area of data management, there's the Oracle Data Lakehouse which is a complete suite of services for managing both structured and unstructured data from different sources. My company works with various customers on multiple use cases. These are customers from different industries involved in different scenarios. One healthcare customer is analyzing the high volume of data multidimensionally with patients, particularly through predictive analysis of certain treatments. Because of in-built products on Oracle Cloud, my team can do some of the concepts based on what industry leaders have in mind. My team can translate that into action points very quickly.

Other use cases of Oracle Cloud include tech management, ERP, and geological information systems. You can also use it for asset reports, maintenance reports, and utility management such as electricity, water, telephone, etc. It can also be utilized for transportation, traffic management, management of parking spaces for large cities or large building complexes, etc. Oracle Cloud can help in building applications for a smart city. It's suitable for a lot of use cases. You just need to utilize, model, configure, and implement Oracle Cloud.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Cloud has wonderful features and offerings as a service. It's not just a pure-play cloud product or SaaS application. It has a complete suite from infrastructure to platform as a service to software as a service, and this is what I find most valuable in Oracle Cloud. For infrastructure on the cloud or infrastructure as a service on the cloud, there's OCI (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure).

Oracle Cloud is easily available. You just click it. I also found the feature of creating a landing zone valuable. Oracle Cloud is also very flexible as it lets you have a hybrid cloud model along with other cloud solutions. I also like that it offers good management on the cloud.

I also like that Oracle Cloud offers high performance and high availability. A lot of people claim that there's high availability in their companies' cloud operations, but technically speaking, pure high availability in today's context is found in Oracle Cloud.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like to see from Oracle Cloud is an option for the customer to have a single portal to manage and monitor not just Oracle Cloud, but some of the on-premise products in the hybrid scenario as well. If it can be shipped out as an out-of-the-box solution, that would be wonderful. It's not so easy, but for a company like Oracle, it shouldn't be a problem.

Many customers go through a lot of effort and burn money to achieve this, so it's an opportunity for Oracle to provide it for customers looking for this type of solution.

I've been working with Oracle Cloud for fifteen years.

Oracle Cloud
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Oracle Cloud is a stable solution. My team has been using it for a good amount of time and it's very stable.

Oracle Cloud has good scalability. To a certain level, you can scale it without even issuing a separate PO. Beyond that, you can always get in touch with the Oracle team and discuss how to scale Oracle Cloud.

The technical support for Oracle Cloud is excellent.

The initial setup for Oracle Cloud is easy, but after you purchase it, you have to wait for the Oracle representative to onboard you to the cloud. Oracle may have a specific reason for this step, so I won't tell Oracle to automate it. If there's a scope to do it, then it's all well and good. Otherwise, Oracle should solve this.

Some customers enjoyed ROI from Oracle Cloud. From an operations point of view, sixty percent of the customers who've embraced the latest versions of Oracle Cloud were able to optimize the cost of the operations within the first three quarters.

The price for Oracle Cloud may seem expensive, but if you start comparing features and what Oracle offers, you'll realize that the pricing for Oracle Cloud is competitive.

If you consider every aspect of Oracle Cloud, you'll see that its price tag is reasonable because it has a good user interface, user experience, and management. Oracle Cloud is a sophisticated infrastructure and the level of management it allows you to enjoy isn't available in other solutions, so I wouldn't worry about needing to invest huge money into it because it's a wonderful product to use.

What other advice do I have?

My company is a partner of Oracle Cloud, and it deals with different versions for clients. My team is supporting all versions of Oracle Cloud, but now customers prefer the latest version because of the digital transformations across all industries and all regions of the world.

Across all regions and verticals, in the customer community, people worry about multiple aspects in terms of security, scalability, etc. My advice is when you're planning to migrate to Oracle Cloud or any other public cloud, I can say that Oracle Cloud has all features, for example, routine security and all other features bundled, without any extra costs. Data egress is also free up to 10GB. From compliance and regulatory perspectives, it's all in place in every region Oracle Cloud operates. This is what you should look into, especially if you're an enterprise-class customer when you need to host your business or enterprise applications, or any mission-critical applications. You should seriously look into it and utilize Oracle Cloud because it's compliant in all areas and aspects.

My rating for Oracle Cloud is nine out of ten.

IT Consultant
    Reseller
    Easy to set up, able to run large platforms, and helpful for taking clients that have multiple sites
    • "I head the sales and marketing team. So, specifically on the feature set side, multi-tenancy is the one that I'm most familiar with. It's also the one that we found to be the most beneficial to us because it allows us to take clients that have multiple sites. For instance, one of our larger clients, which is a bank based out of South Africa, has offices in multiple countries. It allows us to multi-tenant each and create a tenant for each country within multi-tenanted architecture."
    • "The biggest challenge I'm having with the cloud offering is the sizing. So, pricing becomes difficult. The sizing challenge is in terms of being very clear on how your data growth or your requirements would be. It becomes a bit difficult to be able to ensure that there's enough future proofing in what you've signed. At the same time, the whole idea behind the cloud is to be able to pay for what you use. You don't want to pay for something that you're not using."

What is our primary use case?

Our specialty is insurance software. We were primarily vendors for software licensing, but we've transitioned our product to the cloud in the last two years.

The deployment depends on what a client wants. We use public clouds for clients that are willing to take our products as a SaaS model. For the ones that are on-prem, we split the load between the core platform, which is on-prem, and non-essential services, which are on the cloud.

It has been two years.

All our clients are enterprise clients. We don't have any small clients.

The main challenge that we have with scalability is the opacity and the pricing. Pricing becomes a challenge because you're not very clear on at what point in time you'll be breaking or you'll be exceeding the size you already acquired. That is the challenge, but Oracle powers some of the biggest cloud platforms in the world, and so do AWS and Azure. All of them have the ability and skill to run very large platforms.

They have an office locally. Amazon has only just started an office locally. Microsoft has been here for a long time. We've been Oracle Partners for 22 years, So, we're familiar with them anyway.

I know it's very straightforward. Microsoft Azure, Oracle Cloud, and Amazon AWS have some sort of out-of-the-box packages that you can purchase. Oracle also has a sandbox environment that they can provision for you to be able to set up your operation just to try it out. So, the setup is straightforward.

I would rate their pricing probably a one or two out of five because they're quite expensive. Microsoft Azure will probably be the cheapest because depending on the Microsoft product that you have, they have some sort of bundling. There are things that they give you to get you onto Azure. AWS is probably somewhere in the middle.

What other advice do I have?

We work in a very narrow space. Our specialty is insurance software. We have an insurance ERP. We are an ISV. So, we make our own software. In the sub-Saharan African market, we're, in a way, the largest vendor. So, our recommendation for the clientele that we serve would ideally be Oracle.

There are a lot of data laws that are being enacted. Kenya is one of the big ones enacting data access and data sovereignty laws, which is probably denting a lot of cloud offerings. However, there are a lot of co-located operations where people are providing data centers within the country. The in-country cloud providers, such as MTN and Liquid Intelligent Technologies, give you a lot more flexibility. In that scenario, you get a lot of flexibility in hybridizing the cloud setup that you have, and all three of them would work pretty much the same way. From a Kenyan or African perspective, Oracle and Microsoft have a very good footprint across all the countries we operate in. We're in eight countries now. Amazon AWS is only just starting in Kenya. I don't know if they're anywhere else. They might be in Ghana, Nigeria, and South Africa. So, they would have a hub-and-spoke type model in terms of how you'd be able to support it. If I were to recommend anything, it would be Oracle Cloud and Microsoft Azure.

I would rate Oracle Cloud a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller/Partner
    Oracle Cloud
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of Security at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good availability with low implementation costs but needs better scripting methodology
    • "The pricing isn't too bad."
    • "The solution could always be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We have an application and run this application on this Infrastructure element. That's our primary use case for this product.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization's implementation and running costs. It's saved us money already, in just a few short months.

What is most valuable?

We plan to use the solution to service our databases.

The solution's availability is quite good.

The implementation costs are quite low. The pricing isn't too bad.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the creation process for server fonts and the usability and scripting methodology. There's a lot of room for improvement so far.

Technical support is pretty good, however, it could be improved upon.

The solution could always be less expensive.

If the product could add HSM services to the infrastructure service, that could make it better.

We've been using the solution for about six months at this point. It hasn't been a year yet. It's still relatively new.

If we're just speaking about the database, it's a very stable solution. In terms of the cloud aspect, we are still at the very beginning. It's still quite new to us as a product. We will see when we have relevant experience with real operational statistics. Therefore, it's difficult to make a statement on stability in general. I don't have enough information.

We don't have the relevant experience yet to really discuss scalability. It's not something that we have attempted yet, with the product still being so new to us. We need more time to really figure that part out.

Technical support has been pretty good so far. I'd give them a rating of eight out of ten. We're mostly satisfied with the service they've provided. They are knowledgeable and responsive. That said, it could be slightly improved.

While the installation was relatively easy, there is some complexity involved when you get into the scripting methodology. To create at least 10 or 40 databases with the same scripting is not really easy.

The deployment took around two or so weeks.

In terms of pricing, as far as I've heard from my colleagues and the management, it is an acceptable price. However, they would still be interested in a cheaper solution.

If they did attempt to evaluate another solution, at the time, I was not at the company. Since I have been around, they have only been interested in the Oracle solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller partner.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're mostly happy with the solution, however, there are aspects that can be improved upon.

I would recommend this product to companies who are really familiar with the earlier version of Oracle databases.

ManojK - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT & Digital Delivery Head- EPCI Projects - EMEA at McDermott International
    Accessible and easy to maintain but requires some training
    • "It's a cloud, so it is easy to access anywhere."
    • "It does require some training in order to be able to use it effectively."

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily using it for approving purchases and dealing with purchase invoices and Oracle HCM, an HR-related product for evaluations of myself and my employees.

What is most valuable?

We like the accessibility. It's a cloud, so it is easy to access anywhere.

We're always on the latest version as it updates automatically. However, there are some checks or controls by respective companies. If they don't want to go on the updated version immediately, they don't need to.

The product is easy to maintain.

I love that all the things I need are in one place.

It is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Since it is on the cloud, you often have to deal with network issues.

Speed can be an issue as well.

It does require some training in order to be able to use it effectively.

I've been using the solution for four years. It's been a while.

The product is quite stable. It's reliable. The only issue is if you have network issues, you'll have trouble accessing the cloud.

We contact our support, and if they cannot figure out the issue, they will go to Oracle. I don't deal with Oracle directly.

This solution requires licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.  It's on the cloud; therefore, the latest version is always used.

The solution can be a bit difficult, and new users need to be prepared for that. They need to connect with Oracle and learn more about it in order to understand it better. Then, it gets easier to use.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Sr. Principal Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Secure, scales well, and the pricing is good

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for the Oracle Databases that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

It is more secure and more controlled than an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

We use the Data Warehouse a lot.

What needs improvement?

They could add more features.

Technical support could improve, they could have more resources for troubleshooting.

I have been using Oracle Cloud for more than four years.

We are using the Generation 2 version.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any bugs or glitches.

The scalability is good. Our organization does not have users, rather, we are service providers. Our customers are the users and we have more than 100 of tem.

We have used technical support a couple of times. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

Previously, we were using another solution but decided that we wanted to move toward Oracle products.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The pricing is the best.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Cloud is the best option.

Devops & OpenShift Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Good interface, but the price could be better and the support team should have more knowledge

What is our primary use case?

We provide support for our clients using Oracle Cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Interface.

What needs improvement?

Areas that need improvement are the pricing and the support.

I have been using Oracle Cloud for one year.

We are using the cloud version.

I have more than 20 admins on my team who are using this solution.

Technical support needs to be more knowledgeable. This is an area that needs improvement.

We also have experience with VMware infrastructure.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

The length of the deployment depends on whether is it cloud-based or on-premises, and if it is pre-configured.

Pricing needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Cloud a six out of ten.

IT Manager with 1-10 employees
    Does everything we need it to, great tech support
    • "Overall, I would say that Oracle Cloud provides support with zero down time and the high probability is very good."
    • "Oracle Cloud's price is very high."

What is most valuable?

What I find the most valuable is the fact that there is zero down time for automatic offer. That is very good design for this environment. Overall, I would say that Oracle Cloud provides support with zero down time and the high probability is very good.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Cloud's price is very high. Overall, Oracle Cloud is doing everything I need it to. I have not had any issues with the application, deployment, and implementation. It is very suitable for us, especially considering our needs. Other than the price, I do not see where any further changes could be made.

I have been using this product for the last three years.

Oracle Cloud is stable.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

I am satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup was easy.

BHARAT MAHESHWARI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Engineer at LTI - Larsen & Toubro Infotech
    Scalable but needs better integration, reporting, and user training

What needs improvement?

Oracle Cloud could be improved with better third-party integrations. In addition, Oracle EBS has more reporting tools than other software, and more of these should be available in Oracle Cloud. There should also be more training, guidance, and support documentation available for users, as we need to pay additional costs for training at the moment.

I've been using Oracle Cloud for three years.

Oracle Cloud is reasonably scalable - I'd rate it seven out of ten.

The initial setup is a little complex in terms of understanding what's required, but once we know what the business is looking for, it's easy to implement in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Cloud six out of ten.

Download our free Oracle Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022