Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle GoldenGate OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle GoldenGate is #13 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle GoldenGate an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Oracle GoldenGate is most commonly compared to AWS Database Migration Service: Oracle GoldenGate vs AWS Database Migration Service. Oracle GoldenGate is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle GoldenGate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle GoldenGate?

Oracle GoldenGate is a real-time data integration and database replication solution. It can detect data events and route them across networks at very low latencies and integrates well with 100s of combinations of non-Oracle databases, data stores, and clouds.

Oracle GoldenGate Features

Oracle GoldenGate has many valuable key features, including:

• Simple to use web interface
  • Fast and easy installation or provisioning
  • Command line access via AdminClient that can run anywhere
  • RESTful APIs for DevOps
  • Offers built-in monitoring but also can be easily adapted to roll your own monitoring
  • APIs are protected by Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) authentication.

Oracle GoldenGate Benefits

Some of the benefits of using Oracle GoldenGate include:

• Oracle GoldenGate is deeply integrated with the Oracle Database (logging, redo, backup and recovery layer, security, administration, data guard, data vault, autonomous database etc.).

• It is the most stable, performant, and reliable CDC / replication solution for Oracle.

• High performance: Oracle GoldenGate is capable of sub-second latency for data movement. featuring low impact capture, routing, transformation, and delivery of transactional data.

• GoldenGate is the only CDC / replication tool that keeps pace with new and emerging innovations (security, features, data types, etc) in the core Oracle Database.

• The solution supports a wide range of use cases, from conventional OLTP data replication and high availability to data lake ingestion or multi-cloud ingestion, SaaS application replication, and messaging replication.
  • GoldenGate is the only CDC / replication technology certified for Exadata, Exadata Cloud Service, and Exadata Cloud at Customer.

• For fault-tolerance, GoldenGate has its own mechanism to keep track of how much work is completed and how much is pending. This mechanism is independent of any database and ensures, with the help of automatic gap-resolution, that no data loss occurs.

• GoldenGate uses its own proprietary format files for keeping the committed data coming from the source database, making it independently functional irrespective of the database in use.

• To maintain the performance and consistency, only committed data is sent. Uncommitted data is captured by GoldenGate, but is discarded after receiving a Rollback.

• With GoldenGate, data sending is in “near real time,” which reduces the possibility of latency.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Oracle GoldenGate users.

PeerSpot user Steve-J., Cloud Migration Software Consultant - UK & EMEA at 1PLACE, says, "What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace."

Pinak S., Senior Manager of System and Database at ESL, mentions, “We like how in GoldenGate the heterogeneous database is supported. Sometimes the client actually needs a schedule and needs to ensure the state of databases for reporting purposes. With that in mind, we have been able to configure GoldenGate for certain schema. The solution is quite stable. They've recently improved the ease of implementation.”

A Database Administrator at a manufacturing company explains, "It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability. It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality."

An Oracle ERP DBA Consultant - Oracle Super Cluster T5-8 Admin at a government comments, "GoldenGate can connect and collect data from multiple sources, such as SQL Server."

Oracle GoldenGate was previously known as GoldenGate.

Oracle GoldenGate Customers

Japan Exchange Group, Daewoo E&C, Herbalife, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Canon, Turk Telekom

Oracle GoldenGate Video

Oracle GoldenGate Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle GoldenGate pricing:
  • "We have an enterprise license for it. It might be for three years or so. I'm not aware of any additional costs to the standard licensing fee."
  • "Licensing for Oracle GoldenGate is paid yearly."
  • "We have purchased corporate licensing to use Oracle GoldenGate."
  • "The price of Oracle GoldenGate should be lowered. It is expensive compared to other solutions."
  • "Its price can be better. It is a bit crazy, and its licensing is very difficult to understand. I would rate it one out of five in terms of pricing. There don't seem to be any additional costs."
  • Oracle GoldenGate Reviews

Steve-James - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Migration Software Consultant - UK & EMEA at 1PLACE
    Migrations are fast but heavyweight skills needed to use it
    • "What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace."
    • "The problem with GoldenGate is it is very complex to use. You need heavyweight skills to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for consultancy, more specifically for moving customers' data from on-prem into the cloud. We do this in conjunction with our product. We do not have to pay extra for the Oracle Enterprise Manager because our software can manage the GoldenGate software.

What is most valuable?

What I have found the most valuable about GoldenGate is that it does real-time and no-downtime migrations. Its migrations are fast. There are not many tools like it on the marketplace.

What needs improvement?

The problem with GoldenGate is it is very complex to use. You need heavyweight skills to use it. When there's a problem, you have to delve quite deeply down to this sort of data layer where the problem is.

I have been using Oracle GoldenGate for about two years now.

Oracle GoldenGate
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle GoldenGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The performance of the product is second to none. There are not many products out there that can compete at the level they can. The only problem is that GoldenGate is very expensive. So, if people only want to use it for migrating into the cloud, for example, they could be laden with a lot of heavyweight software they never use.

GoldenGate is very scalable.

We have not used GoldenGate's technical support too much. We have only asked them a couple of questions. Our experience was good. I have not had anything negative come back.

Before switching to GoldenGate, we had some experience with the AWS Database Migration Service.

GoldenGate is quite difficult to set up. The process can take you a few days.

When it comes to maintenance and things like patch updates, it's relatively straightforward as long as you're paying the support fees. You get that as part of the license.

We implemented it internally. We currently have six consultants working with this product.

I think that the price for one CPU with a computer is about $17,000. A small solution probably needs at least four CPUs and up to eight. That will add up to $68,000 to $132,000. You can't go that much lower than that.

If you are not using our product, you have to use Oracle Enterprise Manager and I think that's about $3,000 per CPU as well. Overall, you could be looking at up to $24,000 on top of the GoldenGate license.

It's quite on the expensive side, but if you want that kind of monitoring, that's what you have to use.

Amazon's tools usually have low data footprints and simplistic type migrations. There is a limit to what they can do and how long they take to do it, particularly in Oracle. With GoldenGate, everything is a lot faster and can be done in real time with low downtime, which is the key thing.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure it's the right tool for the job you need to do. In-cloud migrations, particularly database migrations, account for about 12% of an overall cloud migration project. Within that 12%, probably 90% of those non-production and low data footprint databases could be handled by tools like AWS Database Migration Service. However, when you can't take the system down for very long, or you've got lots of databases, it can take a long time to migrate them unless you use a tool like GoldenGate. However, using GoldenGate requires extensive skills for management and configuration.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Database Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    A truly scalable and pretty stable solution that works, but it needs better documentation, support, and easier troubleshooting
    • "It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability. It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality."
    • "Troubleshooting issues is not always the easiest. It should be easier to troubleshoot. Their support can also be improved. They don't read your problem statement and waste a lot of time. GoldenGate for big data is actually a separate license. It is sort of a separate product, but it might fall underneath your GoldenGate category. If we're talking about big data, its interaction with big data sources is poorly documented."

What is our primary use case?

It supports data movement for heterogeneous platforms as well as homogeneous platforms. We are using it for both use cases. Some use cases are for secondary sites, and some use cases are for different applications, such as data warehousing. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It moves the data as you set it up, and it works. I am also very impressed with its stability and scalability.

It is not super feature-rich, but the new releases have more functionality. It recently had more native integrations with Oracle Database. If you are using it against an Oracle database, it has a lot more functionality.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting issues is not always the easiest (can't always find info on errors online or at MyOracleSupport).  Oracle's professional support can also be improved (take a long time to resond to ticket, when they do it is obvious they don't read the issue before responding; they frequently ask for info already provided in the ticket.)

GoldenGate for big data is a separately licensed product. Regarding big data, I've found multiple prop file parameters not documented, not in the sample programs, yet were required.

We have been using it in our organization for seven to ten years.

It is pretty stable.

It is a truly scalable product. We have a team of two to run it, and they're part of the infrastructure team. There are lots of people who use the backend data. Their roles could be from business reporting to data scientists.

We have plans to increase its usage. We're finding more use cases for it all the time.

Oracle support is very frustrating in terms of how they pass tickets back and forth and don't read your problem statement. They waste a lot of time getting their support kicked into gear.

It has a medium complexity level.

It was done in-house.

We have an enterprise license for it. It might be for three years or so. I'm not aware of any additional costs to the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

It works great as a text-based application. There are a lot of hooplas you have to run through for more of a GUI support. It requires a high level of knowledge to get started.

I would definitely recommend starting out with very simple extracts, pumps, and replicates to get the environment working and then jump in with specific tables that you need.

I would rate Oracle GoldenGate a six out of ten.

Oracle GoldenGate
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    OleksandrDenysenko - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical director at RDTEX LLC
    Supports cross-platform migrations; doesn't hang or crash, so it's stable
    • "What I like most about Oracle GoldenGate is that it supports cross-platform migrations. For example, Oracle GoldenGate could pump data from one type of system to another such as the data from Oracle DB to SQL Db2."
    • "What needs improvement in Oracle GoldenGate is the support. Another feature that needs to be improved in the solution is its GUI. It would be useful for programmers or users to be able to work from the GUI, not just from the command line. Simplifying how Oracle GoldenGate is used would also make the solution better."

What is our primary use case?

My customer uses Oracle GoldenGate mostly for pumping data from one database to another, including data storage format changes. The solution is also used for migrating from one system to another and cross-platform migrations.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Oracle GoldenGate is that it supports cross-platform migrations. For example, Oracle GoldenGate could pump data from one type of system to another such as the data from Oracle DB to SQL Db2.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in Oracle GoldenGate is the support.

Simplifying how Oracle GoldenGate is used would also make the solution better.

I've been working with Oracle GoldenGate for more than three years.

Oracle GoldenGate is a stable solution because a lot of my customers use it and it doesn't hang. It doesn't crash. It works.

Oracle GoldenGate is a scalable solution.

The technical support for Oracle GoldenGate still needs a little bit of improvement. On a scale of one to five, I'm rating the support for the product as four out of five.

Oracle GoldenGate is quite complex to set up and support, though it has powerful features. Deployment could be completed within days or weeks, depending on your database and how your storage structure is implemented. The process may require some introduction and workarounds for it to go smoothly. It highly depends on the database you're using.

Licensing for Oracle GoldenGate is paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I concentrate on Oracle products, and I'm currently working with Oracle GoldenGate.

My company provides Oracle GoldenGate for customers, so my team has been working with a lot of versions of the solution, starting from version 12 up to version 19.

My company works on consulting projects, and can also sell licenses, but if the customer has a license and requires some solutions, the team can provide complete services, starting from designing architecture, upgrading, ensuring there's minimal downtime, etc.

At the moment, my company has seven clients using Oracle GoldenGate.

My advice to others who want to start using Oracle GoldenGate is that it may not be as easy at the beginning, but it's a good product.

My current rating for Oracle GoldenGate is nine out of ten, but if I'm able to evaluate other solutions, that rating could change to a lower or higher rating.

Senior Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Plenty of features, highly scalable, but implementation could improve
    • "Many of the features of Oracle GoldenGate are valuable. We use Oracle databases and this tool is from Oracle, making it have superior compatibility."
    • "Oracle GoldenGate's installation is not user-friendly, we had to read a lot of documentation for the setup and configuration."

What is our primary use case?

Oracle GoldenGate can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud.

We have some critical Oracle databases. Most of our marketing business data are in Oracle databases, we wanted to replicate this data to the downstream application. As part of that, we are using Oracle GoldenGate.

What is most valuable?

Many of the features of Oracle GoldenGate are valuable. We use Oracle databases and this tool is from Oracle, making it have superior compatibility.

I have been using Oracle GoldenGate for approximately three years.

We have not faced any issues with Oracle GoldenGate, it is stable.

Oracle GoldenGate is scalable. It is an approximate tool for large databases.

The technical support from Oracle has been responsive, they are good.

We have used many other tools in parallel with Oracle GoldenGate, such as Qlik Attunity for the replication.

Oracle GoldenGate's installation is not user-friendly, we had to read a lot of documentation for the setup and configuration.

The implementation of the solution took approximately a few hours and if there are any issues it can take longer.

We did the implementation in-house. We have a team of 20 that handles the duplication. They handle various tools including Oracle GoldenGate.

We have purchased corporate licensing to use Oracle GoldenGate.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is Oracle GoldenGate has a lot of built-in features, it takes time to set up and configure but the performance is very good compared to other tools in the market.

I rate Oracle GoldenGate a seven out of ten.

Oracle ERP DBA Conultant- Oracle Super Cluster T5-8 Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good replication between databases and can accept data from multiple sources
    • "GoldenGate can connect and collect data from multiple sources, such as SQL Server."
    • "I would like to see the interface more graphical and easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to transfer data or tables in databases from one server to another.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are some DDLs that have problems with GoldenGate. These issues detract from stability and it is something that should be improved.

I would like to see the interface more graphical and easier to use. I like Microsoft products, for example, because they are easy to use. When I work in SQL Server, which is integrated with Oracle GoldenGate, I find it better to work in than Oracle.

We have been using Oracle GoldenGate for the past three or four years.

GoldenGate is a stable product.

Usually, it works with no problems. Sometimes there are issues, but we have been able to solve them.

It is easy to scale once you learn it.

This product has been working well in our environment so we haven't had the need to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took three or four months to complete.

The implementation was done by the Oracle team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product that its suitability depends on the environment. If Oracle is being used then it is a good solution but otherwise, another product would be a better choice. I would suggest using a solution by the same vendor as the database that is being used.

Parwaz Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Data Analytics at Bupa Arabia
    High performance, excellent support, but priced high
    • "The most valuable features of Oracle GoldenGate are the schema application and performance."
    • "Oracle GoldenGate could improve the price."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Oracle GoldenGate are the schema application and performance.

What needs improvement?

Oracle GoldenGate could improve the price.

I have been using Oracle GoldenGate for approximately four years.

We did not face any challenges with the stability of Oracle GoldenGate.

Oracle GoldenGate is scalable.

We have four people using the solution in my company.

The technical support from Oracle GoldenGate is excellent. However, we are running out of support because our licenses are expiring.

We are not using Oracle GoldenGate for high-volume transactional systems which made the deployment not difficult. Moving forward we might integrate with high volume transactions systems and we could run into some challenges.

The price of Oracle GoldenGate should be lowered. It is expensive compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is Oracle GoldenGate is one of the best solutions. However, when you choose a CDC solution you need to compare your existing environment and the compatibility with those tools. Within an Oracle-based environment where the core systems are running, Oracle GoldenGate was suitable for us.

I rate Oracle GoldenGate a seven out of ten.

Jon Davies - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
    Works best with Oracle, but needs better front-end management

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for getting data back.

What is most valuable?

It works best with Oracle.

What needs improvement?

The front-end management isn't very good.

Its pricing and licensing can also be better.

I have been using this solution for about a year.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable.

Their technical support is pretty good. I would rate them a four out of five.

It was easy to set up.

I installed it myself.

Its price can be better. It is a bit crazy, and its licensing is very difficult to understand. I would rate it one out of five in terms of pricing.

There don't seem to be any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. It's pretty good.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Oracle GoldenGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022