Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Nakivo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nakivo is #5 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software and top Disaster Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Nakivo an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Nakivo is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Nakivo vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Nakivo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
Nakivo Buyer's Guide

Download the Nakivo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Nakivo?

NAKIVO Backup & Replication provides image-based, application-aware, and forever-incremental backup for VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 VMs. This means that NAKIVO Backup & Replication can capture all VM data, ensure the  consistency of applications and databases (such as Exchange, Active Directory, MS SQL, SharePoint) running in VMs, and transfer only changes to the backup repository. NAKIVO Backup & Replication uses native change tracking technologies (VMware CBT/Hyper-V RCT) to instantly identify changed data. For each VM backup, you can save up to 1,000 recovery points and rotate them on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.

Nakivo Customers

Coca Cola, Honda, 3M, University of Arizona, University of Maryland, University of Arkansas, Johns Hopkins University, Marriott, United States Military Academy West Point, Greenpeace, China Airlines, Radisson Hotels and Resorts, Fujifilm

Nakivo Video

Archived Nakivo Reviews (more than two years old)

Quick and easy to set up, a clean GUI, and efficient deduplication
  • "It is fast, simple, powerful, and has a price without competition."
  • "I would like to have the option of creating a subfolder per job in the backup repository because we had an issue where some files were corrupted and we lost the backup of the majority of the VMs."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for backing up and replicating virtual machines.

We have a small environment with two hosts. Both of them are Levono servers with ESXi 6.5 U2 and fifteen virtual machines. All of the VMs are Windows and we have file, SQL, and Exchange servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo has enabled me to concentrate on other tasks without worrying about the daily backups. It has given us more confidence in the infrastructure thanks to the replication. The virtual machines are fundamental for the daily functioning of the company, so a failure would have a very damaging impact, and incur a great economic cost.

What is most valuable?

The quick and easy setup of the virtual appliance made it simple and fast to deploy.

The interface is easy to understand and it gets the job done with a clean GUI.

Efficient deduplication and compression.

It is fast, simple, powerful, and has a price without competition.

What needs improvement?

I would like a clearer log of errors. I enabled the schedule for space reclamation on the repository, but after one day I found that the repository was detached and the GUI didn’t give a status of the scheduled task.

Nakivo
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using this solution for three months.

We didn't have a different backup solution for virtual environments.

I advise that this is the best product for medium or small environments according to my
cost-benefit analysis.

I tested Veeam, but I ultimately chose Nakivo because of the difference in cost.

Michael Wolf - PeerSpot reviewer
Michael WolfUser with 1-10 employees
User

The option of creating a subfolder per job in the backup repository does exist. This is exactly how we use it and implemented to avoid issues you experienced.

it_user1126869 - PeerSpot reviewer
User with 201-500 employees
Easy to recover individual files after accidental deletion or corruption
  • "Nakivo gives users confidence in knowing that if something happens with their application server, exchange server, or other applications, they can recover it easily and quickly."
  • "We want the backup job to consume fewer resources, as the utilization is very high if we choose the best compression."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Nakivo Backup & Replication as a backup system for our customer. It supports their VMware vSphere environment.

The environment is made up of one director, one onboard transporter, one direct SAN repository, and for offsite backup, it has one transporter and one SAN direct repository.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo gives users confidence in knowing that if something happens with their application server, exchange server, or other applications, they can recover it easily and quickly.

The Nakivo scheduled job also provides backup verification that will help us to ensure the backup is running properly and is truly recoverable.

What is most valuable?

One of the key features is the ease in recovering individual files. In the customer environment, often accidentally, files are removed or broken. With Nakivo they can easily be recovered.

Another key feature is the ability to install multiple transporters to increase the backup duration for multiple backup jobs at one time.

What needs improvement?

We want the backup job to consume fewer resources, as the utilization is very high if we choose the "best compression' option.

There was a problem we found regarding the repostory. When we enable the schedule for space reclaimation, once the schedule is trigerred the reclaimation will detach the repository but after 1 week we found that the repository is on detach status so we should detach it manuallu. We didn't know actually the reclaimation is on progress or already finsihed

Approximately two years.

The stability is good. Provided the overall component is ok, the job runs normally and quickly.

It's good enough that the software can be scaled up and scaled out, depending on your requirements.

Nakivo
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
User at Cadmakers
User
  • "Perfect for someone who doesn't want to waste time."
  • "It is missing the file and folder backup; however, this product is meant for virtual machine backup and recovery, so that is really outside of the scope of the software."

What is our primary use case?

I have a small environment with two hosts since most of our services are running in the cloud. We are a cautious group and we keep a copy of our files on-premise, as well as in the cloud. We are using NAKIVO for backing up our file storage and virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has enabled me to concentrate on other tasks without worrying about the daily backups. Once I was past the initial setup and testing, I was confident that the product would perform reliably and as expected. So far, I have not been disappointed.

What is most valuable?

The quick and easy setup of the ready-made virtual appliance made it simple to deploy. It was running within an hour. The interface is easy to understand and it gets the job done with a clean GUI. Perfect for someone who doesn't want to waste time.

What needs improvement?

The software is aimed at backing up VM images but it would be nice to have an option to just backup certain files/folders and not the entire disk.

Less than one year.

NAKIVO is very stable and reliable. I am running an appliance that is just a virtual machine, and it has not given me any issues so far.

I have not tested the scalability of the product, but based on the features it should be as easy as the rest of the product is to use.

My experience with support has been good, but I really haven't needed their help much.

I previously used VMware VDP for backing up my virtual machines. This was complex and difficult to maintain. I wanted to switch to something that would not take as much time to manage.

The setup was simple and easy. Using the virtual appliance, all I needed to do was deploy the OVF (Open Virtualization Format) file, then set up the networking, storage, and connect the hosts. It doesn't confuse you with jargon or fancy interfaces, it's easy to use.

I implemented this by myself within an hour. I consider myself to have an intermediate level of expertise, but I believe a beginner should not have a problem with this either.

I recognize my return on investment as the amount of time I have saved by implementing this solution. It was fast to deploy, quick to configure, and with little to no maintenance necessary, it is easy to manage.

Setup is simple and with a ready-made virtual appliance, it makes deployment even faster. All you need is the capacity for running the appliance and storage on your existing VM host. Pricing is easy to understand and very affordable.

Two of the other options that I considered were Veeam and Vembu.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a time saver and makes complex tasks easy to handle. A must-have for beginners and one-person teams.

Senior Key Account Executive at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Has dropped down backup storage capacity on our systems
  • "We spend less time to get data recovered."
  • "An improvement would be to include a general data backup solution that is not only for virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the backup of several virtual machines. We have deployed it for several customers, as it's a fantastic and cheap backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing automation is simple and fast. It has also dropped down backup storage capacity on our systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the simple installation and backup recovery. We spend less time to get data recovered.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be to include a general data backup solution that is not only for virtual machines.

Translate and develop the user interface in other languages like Spanish, Catalan, Basque, etc.

Less than one year.

We are having no trouble with the stability of this solution at the moment.

I feel that the scalability of this solution is good enough.

We did not use a solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is simple and easy.

Our return on investment has taken less than one year.

It's really cheap, and our company saves a significant amount of money on IT backup solutions per year.

Before choosing this product we evaluated the VMware backup solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great solution. They are doing it well.

A fast and simple solution that gives us confidence in the stability of our environment
  • "Creating a backup task in NAKIVO is fast and easy."
  • "I think it is important to work not only in replicating the virtual machines in Amazon AWS, but in other cloud systems."

What is our primary use case?

We are a cosmetics laboratory, hosting a Dell server with ESXi 6.5, six virtual machines, and two Synology NAS.

How has it helped my organization?

NAKIVO has given us confidence by reducing the possibility of having a failure in our virtual machines.

The virtual machines in the laboratory are fundamental for the daily functioning of the laboratory, and a great number of people work on them every day. A failure in a virtual machine would have a very damaging impact on the laboratory, and a great economic cost.

What is most valuable?

Creating a backup task in NAKIVO is fast and easy.

Until you see it, you do not get the idea of how simple and fast NAKIVO is. This is why I always recommend installing the NAKIVO trial version.

After knowing NAKIVO, it is difficult to understand how other solutions are successful. It is fast, simple, powerful, and has a price without competition.

What needs improvement?

I think it is important to work not only in replicating the virtual machines in Amazon AWS but in other cloud systems. I want to have replicas in the cloud at a more competitive cost.

The solution is very stable and has a direct support system from NAKIVO.

Scaling this product is very simple, as its licensing system is both clear and economical.

It can be implemented to match whatever the size of the infrastructure is.

Accessing technical support is very easy. I usually do it by means of a ticket from NAKIVO. They not only answer me quickly, but they do not close the ticket until it has been solved.

I did not use a different solution prior to this.

The basic configuration for NAKIVO is extremely simple. In addition, you have access to support in a very simple way, either by opening a chat in real time or by sending a ticket that you will have a response to in less than twenty-four hours.

It's a simple solution.

The first time I implemented NAKIVO, I did it without experience and without help from anyone. The implementation was a success.

I have not calculated the ROI because the solution is really economical.

What I advise everyone is to install the trial version of NAKIVO and see the potential it has, as well as how simple it is.

The price is not a problem in NAKIVO, as it is the most competitive in the market.

I was looking for information about other systems for copying virtual machines, such as Veeam Backup. I chose NAKIVO and did not fail in my decision.

What other advice do I have?

My only advice is to try it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am both partner and end user of Nakivo.
Easy to configure and the policy-based replication suits our environment well
  • "This solution was surprisingly easy to configure."
  • "An improvement would be to give us more control over the email alerts, with different emails going to different addresses based on a set of rules."

What is our primary use case?

We have a VMware environment that needed backup and replication. We run NAKIVO on a Synology NAS and replicate to another VMware Server.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution was surprisingly easy to configure. It has a much higher bang for the buck than other products we evaluated. The replication is very fast.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is policy based replication, which lets you add a VMware Virtual Server and NAKIVO will automatically back it up provided that it fits the policy.

Less than one year.

We used Xackup with XenServer prior to this.

I found that this solution was surprisingly easy to configure.

I suggest downloading a trial copy from the website and take it for a spin. It has straightforward licensing.

We also evaluated Veeam Backup & Replication.

It's able to send offsite backups to Amazon AWS

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for host servers that need to back up offsite to Amazon AWS. We use it with Hyper-V servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo has helped us to send our backups offsite to Amazon AWS securely. Our customers really like that we can back up to Amazon.

What is most valuable?

To be able to send offsite backups to Amazon AWS. Amazon is very secure, and our customers are very satisfied with this product.

What needs improvement?

I like how it is, and I don't think it needs improvements. In your next release, you might want to include the different types of AWS backups that are included with Nakivo.

Very stable, we haven't needed to use the support team for this product.

Great performance and quick backups.

Customer service is very knowledgeable about their product.

We used to use Veeam for the Hyper-V servers, but Veeam is much more expensive than Nakivo.

Yes, very simple setup.

In-house.

Lots of our customers have used Nakivo after we introduced it to them.

Pricing is very affordable compared to other options like Veeam.

Yes, only Veeam.

Networking Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Instantly recovers entire VMs, individual files, or application objects, but integrations should be added

What is our primary use case?

My company wants to evaluate Nakivo to offer a primary backup solution to our customers because it looks easy to implement and to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo is a cheap backup solution and at the level of technology in comparison with Veeam plays well. Now my company has activated just the trial.

What is most valuable?

• Deployable in one minute
  • Instantly recovers entire VMs, individual files, or application objects (Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, and Active Directory)
  • Save storage space with swap data exclusion, global data deduplication, and built-in compression.

What needs improvement?

I think the product should be improved on the integrations — for example, integration with HPE StoreOnce.

Trial/evaluations only.

I think that it's stable.

I have no impressions of the scalability.

N/A.

Now my company offers another solution: Veeam. Nakivo is cheaper, but it's a good solution for PMI.

The initial setup was easy, not complex.

N/A.

I advise making the product setup easier, for pricing because it is very cheap and for licensing.

No, I didn't.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is bronze partner from about 1 month
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Its ability to work with various data store repositories is nice

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo does the job it advertises that it does. Its ability to work with various data store repositories is nice.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to take backups on a regular interval and restore data/VMs as we choose making the process work as advertised.

What is most valuable?

The ability to restore in a catastrophic event is priceless, since every company must use a backup solution of some sort.

What needs improvement?

• UI could use some upgrades. The UI is basic, but functional.
  • The upgrade process is a bit dated and could use some changes.

The support is good.

There are plenty of options these days, but Nakivo is a strong contender.

PTL_Tech - PeerSpot reviewer
President at a tech company with 1-10 employees
User
  • "The ability to create a replica of all virtual machines is a great feature."
  • "We have been able to set up a failover site that has replicas of our critical VMs."
  • "You can have it setup and running within a few minutes."
  • "It would be great if the product could be expanded to support other virtual technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We are testing and using Nakivo as a backup and replication solution for our VMware environment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to set up a failover site that has replicas of our critical VMs. These are then updated every hour with only changed data. The speed of the backup is excellent and allows for replicas to be updated without affecting production workloads.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create a replica of all virtual machines is a great feature. The replicate feature is the most valuable, however second to it is not having to install clients on all VMs.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the product could be expanded to support other virtual technologies, like KVM or oVirt. Also, if it could support physical machine backup that would be helpful.

Trial/evaluations only.

We are in the process of switching for two main reasons:

1. Reducing costs.
  2. Improving backups by not having to install clients on each VM.

The setup is very easy, and the flow follows a very logical process to configure.

Just try it. You can have it setup and running within a few minutes.

We also looked into Acronis, however it seemed to have about the same functions at around three times the cost per host.

Philip Sellers - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
Four times the reduction in cost of our vSphere backups, though lacks direct integration with common backup storage arrays

What is most valuable?

• Good VM level backups
  • File level and VM level restores
  • Efficient deduplication data repositories

How has it helped my organization?

• Four times the reduction in the cost of our vSphere backups, which provides the base features required for our environment.
  • Job copy features allows backup repositories to be replicated to a secondary data center.
  • VM level replication jobs can be used to create DR strategies by replicating VMs to another datacenter.

What needs improvement?

• Lacks application brick-level restore capability, although 7.2 introduces it for the SQL Server.
  • Lacks direct integration with common backup storage arrays, like Data Domain or HPE StoreOnce.

One year personally. More than two years for the company.

Some VM backup jobs hang periodically and cannot be stopped, except by restarting the Nakivo Director node.

The product scales well. Additional transporter virtual appliances or servers can be deployed to handle larger numbers of virtual machines. Additional repositories can be added to accommodate backup data with options of locally attached storage and remote storage.

Very good. It is as simple as sending an email with direct and easy questions/responses, which is received quickly. Usually, the first response is the resolution.

Extremely straightforward to set up:

1. Deploy a virtual appliance.
  2. Simple configuration process.

While the feature set lags behind other vSphere backup products, Nakivo is a very inexpensive backup alternative which provides the basic features needed by many customers.

What other advice do I have?

If hardware or software specific integrations are important for your business, this is probably not the best fit. The software is likely the best fit for small to medium business which does not need all the advanced features of competitors' software.

Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022