We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
reviewer1495230
Information Technology System Engineer at Unione dei Comuni della Bassa Romagna
Instant verification ensures integrity, encryption provides good security, and the dashboard keeps us fully informed
  • "For my purpose, I find VM Backup to be the most useful, as it gives me the ability to create image-based, incremental backups of VMware, Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV VMs."
  • "In the future, it would be nice to have support for Zimbra email, Collabora Office, and the NextCloud content collaboration platform."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to back up our virtual machines.

We have a hyper-converged infrastructure with Nutanix, made up of three servers with VMware ESXi and a virtual machine with a VMware vCenter appliance.

We have a QNAP NAS with Nakivo Backup & Replication installed. Every day, we create a backup of all the virtual machines. The entire infrastructure is connected with two switches in the stack, in high availability. Every link is 10GBase-LX4 and is redundant.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo is easy to configure because there are only a few basic configurations to complete before it starts working. I use it with VMware and Hyper-V. When you start the initial configuration, it asks you essential questions to reach your goal.

After that, you can schedule backups, and the dashboard shows if there are any problems during the previous backups, also suggesting the solution.

The process of restoring the virtual machine is very simple. You select what you want to recover and how you want it done, then click to run. The dashboard shows you the speed of the process and alerts you when is it done.

What is most valuable?

Nakivo has a lot of features that are very interesting.

For my purpose, I find VM Backup to be the most useful, as it gives me the ability to create image-based, incremental backups of VMware, Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV VMs.

Instant Backup Verification permits me to instantly verify VMware and Hyper-V VM backups and to get a report with screenshots of test-recovered machines.

Backup Encryption protects my data in flight and at rest with AES 256 encryption.

Instant VM Recovery is useful because I can boot VMware and Hyper-V VMs directly from deduplicated backups.

Instant File Recovery to Source is helpful because I can browse, search, and instantly restore files and folders back to the source.

What needs improvement?

In the future, it would be nice to have support for Zimbra email, Collabora Office, and the NextCloud content collaboration platform.

We have been using Nakivo for three years.

Stability-wise, Nakivo is good.

I have a good impression of the scalability.

I have not used their technical support.

Yes, we used Commvault, but it is very complicate and not practical for our use. So we choose Nakivo for is semplicity and the pricing.

The initial setup is straightforward because it guides you with a few questions.

I implemented it through a vendor team and their level of expertise is good.

Yes Veeam Backup and Replication, but it very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The last version of Nakivo introduced the support to protect Microsoft Office 365 data with backup and recovery for OneDrive for Business and Exchange Online. It sends source-side deduplicated backups to HPE StoreOnce backup appliances with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst integration.

Unfortunately, we don't use that technology because we have Zimbra as our mail server and Collabora Office as our Office application. Also, we use NextCloud, a content collaboration platform.

Overall, Nakivo works fine and we don't have any problems for now.

Senior Director, Production Engineering at ATOS
MSP
Intuitive GUI, good documentation, efficient compression and deduplication features
  • "This product has a very clean and intuitive GUI."
  • "I had to manually install SNMP, which wasn't hard, but a step I had to take, to plug this into the monitoring system."

What is our primary use case?

After looking around the internet for a quick, simple, and easy solution, I gave Nakivo a chance. I implemented it for backing up a small customer environment with one VMware host and four guests. The guests are two Linux and two Windows servers.

It's connected to a Synology NAS station via an NFS mount. The customer was looking for a quick way to back up their environment after recently suffering a significant data loss due to a user error. It had a real impact on their business and they asked for my help in putting something in place.

How has it helped my organization?

The customer didn't have any backup solution in place to protect their current server environment. This was a very quick and simple solution that fit their needs, and it was free!

They are now able to get a daily backup of their environment, including their main file share that has thousands of files stretching back for at least seven years. The loss they sustained cost them at least two man-weeks of effort to restore.

What is most valuable?

Nakivo is very easy to set up and configure, and I chose the simplest install option possible. It is an OVA running on their server, which plugged right into their environment.

Nakivo's installation and background documentation is on point, answering a few simple questions I had.

This product has a very clean and intuitive GUI.

After running this for a week, I've found that the data compression and data deduplication is extremely valuable and efficient.  The server also has a very low overhead impact on the VMware server.

What needs improvement?

I would think that as it's used in larger environments that might be more than one server, and you're going to need a better authentication mechanism. For example, integration into Active Directory or some other form of LDAP would be helpful.

I had to manually install SNMP, which wasn't hard, but a step I had to take, to plug this into the monitoring system.

I've been using Nakivo for a couple of weeks.

Nakivo has been extremely stable so far.

I am not sure about scalability because I haven't used it in a large situation yet.

I haven't needed to interact with technical support.

They had no previous backup system.

Very simple and easy to use via an OVA setup.

I deployed it myself.

The ROI is Infinite because it's free for this kind of small environment!

As a free solution for a small environment, this is a great solution!

I spend about an hour browsing other free solutions, but they were either limited by too few backup targets or didn't provide dedupe.

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, I don't have anything I'd change for this small type of environment. It has been super simple and easy to install, configure, and use. The operation of the application works as advertised.

Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT support manager at SharKom Srl
User
Has a convenient and easy web interface and excellent technical support
  • "The product is good for protecting very low-budget offices, whereas other solutions fail in terms of cost and footprint of the VMs involved."
  • "There are many features we have not had the opportunity to try, such as Tape Backups, Office 365 backups, and many other things."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to backup and replicate business-critical VMs - on the same network or off-site - and to test new updates on flash boot restores. This enables us to verify a broad range of scenarios such as expanding disks or upgrading whole machines to newer OS versions

We use the product on vSphere as a VM or directly on the QNAP with the added convenience of not needing to create an ISCSI device which prevents locking all the space on the QNAP.

The new licenses per workload are very nice for small customers since they have a low price and are not tied to the number of CPUs.

How has it helped my organization?

It was useful to migrate via replica from an old 5.0 ESXi to the newer 7.0 by simply deploying the transporter and crossing the two systems. From there, we replicated the VMs and switched over, which was as easy as stopping and restarting the VMs, limiting the unavailability of the systems involved to a couple of minutes.

To migrate a VM from HyperV to vSphere when a customer needed to change the vendor of the hypervisor produced the same results as above. We also had the opportunity to test it offline prior to full deployment.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers many useful features, including Flash Boot, transporters on different platforms, native QNAP APP, and virtual appliances with no need to install a Windows machine to install the "app".

The virtual appliance does not need to maintain a dedicated Windows machine, with its antivirus, security risks, added costs, and other issues.

The coverage reports are well designed and give us the ability to have a fast check on what is protected or not.

The SW automatically protects a VM if it is added to a protected VAPP.

The SW is very flexible and complete for our use cases.

There are many license types and levels so that every customer can find the right balance between cost and features.

The web interface is convenient and easy.

The SW is very scalable in every aspect.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for more than three years.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

Technical support is very kind and responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We've used many other solutions however, Nakivo is a good standard for us.

The initial setup is easy; we just deploy the VM or APP on QNAP.

We resale the product and use it ourselves as well.

We have seen a high ROI.

The solution has a reasonable license cost and can be set up in minutes.

We have looked at Veeam and others.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We use and resale it, has a lower TCO, works reliably and we can count on happy customers
reviewer1495233
Owner at Daedalus Computing Limited
Installs and is managed from a low-cost NAS, simple to set up, and the support is responsive
  • "The main advantage from our perspective is the ability to plug this solution into an existing infrastructure on a cheap device and point the backup at the server targets and configure the backup options in a simple menu; linking to a cheap cloud resource for a simple solution for off-site storage."
  • "It would be helpful to be able to have a custom footprint so that only the required features are installed."

What is our primary use case?

We have used Nakivo to provide a fully automated backup solution without user intervention with on-site backup and copy to the cloud.

We provide support and consulting services to SME businesses in the UK, and simplicity and a lower cost are paramount.

We have implemented Nakivo for these clients, installed to a stand-alone NAS device. This can sit on the network alongside the existing systems and simply be pointed at the servers and workstations targeted for backup. It can manage the backup externally and the backed-up resources will run without any staff intervention.

How has it helped my organization?

This has allowed us to move our clients to an automated solution that simply plugs into their existing infrastructure, removing the need for manual media handling. We have seen an increase in resistance to clients using staff resources to manage manual media handling.

Nakivo's solution based upon a discrete NAS has provided a very neat "plug-in" solution that connects to their networks and targets their existing servers and creates a local disc-based backup resource. To this is added a simple AWS EC2 resource, which is an automatically configured host for cloud copies of the local backups for DR and archive.

What is most valuable?

The ability to install a solution to a stand-alone, low-cost NAS and run and manage from there has been a very helpful facet of the projects. The ability to eschew manual media handling is an essential change in SME environments, where the staffing overheads for media handling and storage in the age of cloud backups was becoming onerous.

The main advantage from our perspective is the ability to plug this solution into an existing infrastructure on a cheap device and point the backup at the server targets and configure the backup options in a simple menu; linking to a cheap cloud resource for a simple solution for off-site storage.

What needs improvement?

There has been a slight tendency to bloat, where each new feature uses slightly more resources. It would be helpful to be able to have a custom footprint so that only the required features are installed.

We have been using Nakivo for approximately two years.

It has proved very stable on the whole.

As it can be run from different platforms, it is very scalable.

Nakivo support has been very flexible and responsive.

Previously, we used Veritas BackupExec and we changed due to the ease of use of Nakivo and the LCO.

Very simple to set up, including automatic installation of agents and build of AWS resource.

This is a product that we set up and manage for our clients.

Cost is very appropriate for SMEs.

We evaluated Acronis before choosing Nakivo.

What other advice do I have?

Support has been very good and product development and enhancement very active.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller of this product, supplying it as part of our solutions to SME clients.
reviewer1509885
Sviluppatore, Sistemista, DPO at Areadati srl
Reseller
Good support, priced well, and supports multiple environments for repositories
  • "The most valuable feature is the support, as it is directly from Nakivo and it is possible to send a support request that contains all of the technical data on the environment, as well as the software, required for the answer."
  • "From our experience, the main factor that could be improved is adding more cloud services that are supported as a backup repository."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nakivo as a backup solution in small and medium-sized virtual environments based on VMware. We are a small IT company and our customers generally have between one and five physical servers, with between one and one hundred virtual machines to protect.

We use Nakivo to backup and/or replicate those virtual machines to achieve the RTO and RPO requested by the customer. It can be deployed on a Windows machine, as a dedicated appliance, or even on a NAS (like QNAP or Synology).

How has it helped my organization?

When we started working with the first virtual environments, we used to make only copies of the data. Specifically, we were copying files and database dumps to external destinations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support, as it is directly from Nakivo and it is possible to send a support request that contains all of the technical data on the environment, as well as the software, required for the answer. The response is very quick and most of the time, the problem is solved within the first answer.

Secondly, it is possible to install Nakivo in every environment including Windows, Linux, virtual appliances, NAS, and more.

Third, is possible to use as a backup repository many kinds of destinations. The ones we mostly use are CIFS and NFS shares, but also, amazon EC2 and tapes are supported.

The installation and configuration process is quite simple, yet rich in options to customize the solution.

What needs improvement?

From our experience, the main factor that could be improved is adding more cloud services that are supported as a backup repository. Many customers have active subscriptions with services like Dropbox or Google Drive and have asked us to use those as the backup repository. For now, those services aren't supported.

Another minor thing that could be added is the capability to granularly recover objects for more types of databases, including some open-source ones like MySQL or PostgreSQL. This could be useful in some full Linux environments, avoiding having to recover the whole virtual machine.

We have been using Nakivo Backup & Replication since 2018.

Basic support included with the standard license answers on business days. They are quite quick and precise in the answers, and we are satisfied with it.

We tried several competitors' software solutions, including Veeam Backup and Replication, but we have to say that Nakivo is the best choice when it comes to quality/cost ratio.

In fact, the licensing model gives the opportunity to offer a good price to the customer while maintaining, as a partner, a good margin.

Other than that, the functions that this software offers are comparable or even better to the competitors. For example, Nakivo can use an NFS share as a repository natively, without relying on other servers, which is a plus in a full linux environment.

The initial setup is quite simple and well documented.

The licensing model is very affordable compared to competitors, with a good quality-to-cost ratio, and the software is quite simple and fast to setup.

We didn't evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: we are nakivo partners, we resell their products to final customers, along with the installation e configuration
reviewer1557180
System Administrator
User
Helps to centralize backups, easy to recover data, effectively saves space with incremental backup using a proprietary change-tracking method
  • "This product has helped to centralize backups and made it easy to recover data."
  • "I would like to see support for backing up from other platforms, such as physical machines."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is disaster recovery in case of a cyber attack, crypto-virus, etc.

We are using it to back up virtual machines from a VMware ESXi server, and there are individual jobs for every day. It keeps track of the daily changes and backs up only the changed data, which is much smaller than the whole virtual machine.

Nakivo has its own change block tracking. It is available in the free edition of VMware and it's not allowed to be used for backup software, but it's not a problem because Nakivo uses its own method to track changed blocks.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped to centralize backups and made it easy to recover data.

It can be deployed as an individual virtual machine to the VMware ESXi environment.

It doesn't need a lot of computing power, whether RAM, processor or otherwise.

Its runs silently and has a webpage where we can manage all of our backups. The webpage is clean and fast.

There aren't any major problems and it's easy to update.

There are a lot of options such as sending emails from each job about its status every day.

It manages the repositories well, it can clean space if it's needed, and it has self-healing capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is full-VM recovery from ashes. If there is a data loss or a virtual machine in the VMware environment gets corrupted by a cyberattack or storage failure, there is a full consistent backup in the Nakivo backup repository. It can be recovered to the same hardware, or to a brand new VMware ESXi environment in less than half a day, even if there is a lot of data.

We have been covered by this software over the past year, and the recovery has been tested in our production environment. As such, we are satisfied with this solution, even when compared to others.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for backing up from other platforms, such as physical machines.

The mail recovery options could be improved. We used this feature often but it's a bit slow.

Sometimes, the backup speed to the NFS repository that we use in our environment drops from 400 MB/s to 50 MB/s, but it might be a problem in the network, which is something that we're investigating.

We have been using Nakivo for more than one year.

This is a stable solution.

This product is very scalable.

Technical support is helpful.

Prior to Nakivo, we were using Duplicity.

The initial setup is easy.

We set it up ourselves.

This product provides good value for the price.

We evaluated Veeam but opted for Naviko.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that continuously improves over time.

Will Sand
Sysadmin
User
Great for incremental backups, restores quickly, and is very scalable
  • "The price is much lower than competitors that do the same function."
  • "It would be great if they had a Let's Encrypt integration."

What is our primary use case?

We have used the solution for backup and restoration in a vSphere Environment. Nakivo can be used to backup nearly any virtual infrastructure. For us, it keeps incremental and full backups in a repo with deduplication that will keep storage usage low and restores very quickly. It integrates well with NFS storage for larger storage needs. There is also a monitoring dashboard that we use to monitor our virtual hosts. We use the fast restore option to quickly spin up virtual guests when there is no time to copy it back to the virtual host datastore.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo has been great for incremental backups of our virtual infrastructure. Restoring from backups is very simple. Nakivo, similar to Veeam Backup gives you peace of mind and confidence in your virtual infrastructure.

If you were to lose a virtual host or a local datastore or remote datastore, Nakivo quick restore allows you to immediately spin up the virtual guest from backup on another virtual host, eliminating downtime and allowing for quick migrations to new hardware in the case of a catastrophe.

What is most valuable?

The following aspects are the most valuable:

Quick Backups. Nakivo backups operate quickly, generally around 50 to 100MB/s, depending on your environment. This speed combined with only incremental changes being uploaded allows for quick hourly or nightly backups that don't bog down your infrastructure and take resources away from other needs.

Lightning-quick restores. Restores can run directly from the Nakivo Repo. You don't need to transfer back to the datastore until you have the time to do so.

Low Price. The price is much lower than competitors that do the same function.

Support. Support has been friendly and responsive.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they had a Let's Encrypt integration. Since LE provides free SSL certificates, it would be great.

If you already have an internal CA authority you likely wouldn't need this, however, LE integration would allow shops without an internal CA to easily and freely (at no cost) auto-renew SSL certs. As it currently stands, you need to process your SSL renewal on another machine and then import it into Nakivo. It would be nice if Nakivo integrated LE and supported both HTTPS and DNS Validation for those machines behind Firewalls.

I have used the solution for three years.

The stability has been consistent.

The solution scales well.

Technical support offers fast knowledgeable response.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We tested Veeam, however, the price didn't seem worth it. Nakivo performs the same functions for a better price.

We used the Virtual Appliance for an easy setup experience.

I'd advise new users to reach out to CS at Nakivo and they will be happy to work with you on a quote that fits your needs. They got back to us quickly.

We did evaluate Veeam.

User
Good support, quick to deploy, clean management console, and supports various storage types
  • "Every new version has got some tweaks and improvements in stability and speed."
  • "In the future, I would like to see support for backing up data to more cloud platforms, besides Amazon."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Nakivo for Microsoft Office 365 backup, as well as for file backup.

It can do all of the promised features well and without any problem.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo is responsible for backing up all of our Office 365 accounts, and it works very well.

It has improved the organization of our data in the system. We have better security in terms of emails and documents, too. After we deployed it to a VMware environment, it worked almost instantly.

Nakivo comes with built-in storage but you can add almost any type of storage to it. This includes options like NAS, NFS, etc. It supports a lot of connection types for backing up to the cloud, and it is continuously growing.

Every new version has got some tweaks and improvements in stability and speed.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the logical and clean mechanism behind the management console. It's easy to use, with a very clear and logical structure.

It compresses the backed-up data very well, and even after compression, from time to time, you can reclaim space from the backup repository without data loss. It's a very valuable feature.

The first time we set up all the jobs, and ever since, it has handled the daily tasks and manages errors, if it has any.

The Transporter module works well and it is fast, too, over the local area network. It saves us a lot of time, starting with the fast deployment and configuration, through to the daily backup jobs, controlling the processes, and watching the data storage space.

The repository management features are good.

There is a self-healing feature that works great if there is any file system damage that occurs.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see support for backing up data to more cloud platforms, besides Amazon. It is a great start, given that Amazon is the largest cloud provider, but smaller companies use smaller clouds.

The tape backup capability can be also improved, perhaps by adding a cache for older and slower tapes.

We have been using Nakivo for two months.

It is solid as a rock.

It does not need a lot of computing resources, works silently, and does not need a lot of intervention.

This is a very scalable product.

Technical support for Nakivo is great.

We did not use another similar solution prior to implementing Nakivo.

The initial setup was not complex at all.

Our in-house team deployed it.

It has a very good price in the market.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, my opinion is that this software is good and has improved very well since the previous versions.

Google
Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.