Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is the #4 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software and #7 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is most commonly compared to SAP ERP: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central vs SAP ERP. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is a global enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that provides small and midsize businesses greater control over their financials and can simplify their supply chain, manufacturing, and operations. It's quick to implement and easy to use, with the power to support your growth ambition.

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central was previously known as Dynamics NAV, MS Dynamics NAV.

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Customers

Harris Farm Markets, Mister Spex GmbH, Bounce Foods, Eurofin Services SA, Medica Medizintechnik, Associated Gaskets, Onduline, Sitka Surfboard Corporation, World Animal Protection

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Video

Archived Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Reviews (more than two years old)

Group CIO at a import and exporter with 51-200 employees
Very well integrated but the area of customizations could be improved
  • "The vertical covers all aspects of functionality and integrates easily with the existing Office products."
  • "We need to customize more often than we would like."

What is our primary use case?

We have the standard NAV and we also have a vertical that's developed for the auto dealership business industry. Both of them are based NAV but the vertical is also based on Dynamics NAV. It has simplified a lot of the issues in product selections and the like. The reseller is certified on their platforms, and we obviously use the product. We have quite a strong partnership with Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very well integrated and doesn't require a lot of work in that respect. We're happy with it. One of the advantages is that, for example, the vertical covers all aspects of the functionality for the various areas of operations and integrates easily with the existing office products, BI, and CRM. On top of that, there are a lot of resources available for this platform to do whatever integration is required. Essentially, we use the SharePoint product, Offices 365, the mail, all are well integrated. On top of that, there are a few other functionalities that could be coming out on Office 365 which would help us to improve our processes.

What needs improvement?

Because the platform is open, the ERP is open. Sometimes we have to do a few customizations for improving our internal processes which we do that as we go along, we've got all the GDPR things in there. It covers a lot of the aspects that we need to manage. An improvement would be the customizations that we do tend to limit by adapting our processes to the software. I'd say we'd be adapting around 60-70% and customizations would be around 30%. We don't want to diverge a lot from the standard version.

We have to deal with a lot of audit issues coming from various places which is a time-consuming process. Auditors like to see who has got permissions for this and that. That's a bit of a hassle to get it out, but we do it. It's not the functional side that's an issue.

I'd like to see the ability to address certain queries simplified. Not operational queries, but business issue queries, from the perspective of somebody who's managing the software.

I've been using this solution for around 14 years.

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's quite a stable product.

What we consider as a large customer here, or a large base here in Mauritius would be considered small in other countries. We've scaled up to about 700 users or so and it's scaled pretty well. We started with like 150 or 200, now we are 700, but it scaled quite well. No big issues there. We have plans for expansion in the future. We have four engineers trained on the software to deal with all support issues.

We don't interact directly with Microsoft for support. We go through our service provider. If you look at the Microsoft model, Microsoft or our vertical company does the software, and then they deploy it for partners. We go to those partners. We've been with them for around 14 years and support has been quite good the whole time.

No, it's not complex. Microsoft has done a lot since our first version in 2006, we don't have to do any major upgrades anymore. It doesn't take like three days to do an upgrade. Now it's a very simple process that takes about half a day to move to a new version. So they've broken down the upgrade process into chunks that we receive every three months or every four months. So in terms of manageability is much better. We don't have to do a big upgrade project anymore. They've done a lot of work on this for the past years, and it's now very easy to do things in there, to do those projects.

What other advice do I have?

If we require customization, we go to the service provider. We also have project managers on the side who come up with various options and solutions. Then it goes through a certification process. If customization is required, we go to our service provider, who is certified to change the system. So we don't do any development as such.

Our plan is to move most of our workload to the cloud, so we've been concentrating on Office 365 for the past couple of years. We're nearly there, but there are still a few things to move over. After that, we will be looking at an Azure infrastructure for the ERPs. The coronavirus has accelerated the move.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10. Not a ten because there's always room for improvement.

it_user323985 - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Dynamics Consultant/Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides user role based access control.

What is most valuable?

• User role based access control
  • Easy to customize
  • Seamless integration with Office 365 and other MS products in the stack

What needs improvement?

• Technical documentation
  • Functional documentation
  • Support and help from the principal

We have been using this solution for eight years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

Customer service is excellent.

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user622965 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The reporting has improved the way my organization functions.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy for the users. Generally, an ERP solution is a little challenging for end users.

How has it helped my organization?

Reporting is very good in NAV.

What needs improvement?

Inventory Management could be improved.

I have used this product for 2 years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

Initial setup was straightforward and simple.

I've no idea about pricing. NAV is recommended for a mid-size organization.

We evaluated MSD AX.

What other advice do I have?

Choose the right vendor.

it_user621036 - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It offers customization in all modules. The human resources module could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The customization possibilities in all modules are a valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced costs.

What needs improvement?

The human resources module could be improved.

I have used the solution for about four years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

For the price, this is a good ERP package.

We did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very good for organizations.

it_user617397 - PeerSpot reviewer
Dynamics AX and Dynamics NAV Projects at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows the creation of intercompany journals and buy/sell invoices. It also allows the creation and transferring of intercompany purchase/sales orders.

What is most valuable?

Usability and UX/UI functionality. These features make implementation of projects much simpler. It allows smoother adoption of the new system and processes.

How has it helped my organization?

NAV supports inter-company activities for two areas: Finance and orders.

• The finance part allows creating intercompany journals and intercompany buy/sell invoices.
  • The orders part allows creating and transferring intercompany purchase/sales orders. The operation is semi-manual.

What needs improvement?

• Inter-company functionality: Relatively shallow and mostly manual
  • Alerts: Many customers are required to define system generated alerts. These are based on data changes and due dates by the user as personalization. This function does not exist.
  • One has to send the inter-company document to the outbox, process the outbox at the receiving company, process the inbox, and then create the document. This process is somewhat long and requires several steps.
  • The system does not support the synchronizing of modifications and bi-directional updates.
  • The most significant issue is the lack of the inter-company logistic functionality. It is not possible to send/receive shipping documents, serial numbers, and lot numbers.
  • Users require the ability to define alert rules that will trigger the receipt of alerts from the system if the alert condition is met. For example, if a customer's balance exceeds USD10,000, then send me a notification. The "big brother" Dynamics AX, does have this functionality, and it is very useful.

I have been working with Dynamics NAV for four years.

I have not seen any stability issues. My projects were based on 0 to 150 users and there were no such problems.

The ease of the initial setup, data conversion, and rapid start are the strengths of this solution.

Do not compromise on the level of the consultants to reduce costs. Skilled staff will do things better and faster.

What other advice do I have?

Minimize customizations and maintain a solid change management plan.

it_user617415 - PeerSpot reviewer
MCT-NAV Freelancer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
End users can create their own reports from the chart of an account.

What is most valuable?

• Accounting Reporting: Account Schedule and Analysis By Dimension
  • Flexibility for end users to create their own reports from the chart of an account
  • Integrated export to Excel

How has it helped my organization?

Accounting reporting can be done just in time.

What needs improvement?

Setup security needs to be simpler. It needs to be more user friendly for consultants or users to set up. Currently, performing this task requires deep knowledge about tables, forms, pages, and reporting. It is a hard task for consultants to determine the security (roles for user, which module / table can be access by user).

In version 2016, the workflow for approval systems such as the workflow for credit limit approval and purchase order approval still has bugs.

Currently beside basic setup, as user need to define each table, form, pages, etc, and it will takes lot of time and required deep knowledge to perform that action.

It will be great if NAV can provide a common role setup group for instance : Approval Role (purchase and sales), accessing specific master data ( item, COA, Vendor,Customer). another solution is : nav provide a tools to record when user access specific form, page including table behind

“In the standard NAV application is it a very time-consuming and challenging task to assign the right roles to the right users due to the many different roles available “

So my comment , the product should provide the tool to make easier.

In the standard NAV application is it a very time-consuming and challenging task to assign the right roles to the right users due to the many different roles available. NAV Easy Security simplifies this process by allowing you to create groups of roles and companies and assign these to users.

I have used it for 15 years (since 2002).

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was complex, because there is no handbook or manual for step-by-step setup; the information is module by module; and there is no check list. A consultant must do it by experience and best practice.

The license price can be adjusted according to country.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options. It is the first product since I became involved in ERP until now…

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. Please review the product and the partner who will implement this (experience , customer base and the consultant team).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a consultant at a Microsoft Dynamic Partner.
it_user617403 - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Solution Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Offers trade, supply chain, and manufacturing functionality.

What is most valuable?

This is a flexible ERP solution and it includes these major functional areas:

• Trade
  • Supply chain
  • Manufacturing
  • Finance
  • Logistics
  • Warehouse
  • Service
  • Quality management

How has it helped my organization?

Dynamics NAV is a global ERP solution that offers:

• Twenty-eight country-specific features
  • Access to more than 80 global languages
  • The transformation of data from one language to another
  • Access through a PC, laptop, mobile, tablet, or the Android/iOS app

What needs improvement?

• Logistics
  • Packing
  • Export/import
  • On-line trade
  • Real-time integration with other systems

I have used this solution for around seven years.

We had some stability issues. A heavy load of data is the reason for losing speed and the stability in the system.

There were also scalability issues experienced. When doing multiple data transfer into one table with different users at the same time, the system locked and went into the “Not Responding” mode.

The setup was easy.

The pricing decision is based on the understanding of the requirements. The quote is provided according to the estimated hours.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Each customer needs to check:

• How many business processes are readily available in the system
  • Whether it is suitable for all three levels of resources
  • The pricing policy as per the requirements
it_user610443 - PeerSpot reviewer
Dynamics NAV Technical Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Manages the integration and interface of business processes.

What is most valuable?

It is highly customizable. A customer’s business processes are unique to their business and at times, standard business processes do not fit any ERP system.

Dynamics NAV can be customized to suit the client’s requirements, whether it be functionality, integrations, or interfaces. Newer versions of this solution also allow the end-user to make modifications to the user interface without going to the reseller.

How has it helped my organization?

We are resellers and this is the service we provide.

What needs improvement?

There are always ongoing improvements. Now that it is cloud-based, Microsoft is continuously working on this.

I have used Microsoft Dynamics NAV for 20 years.

There have been no stability issues in the newer versions. The older versions, from years ago, had issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Microsoft provides very, very good support.

We did not have a previous solution.

I am a certified installer, so installations are very simple to do.

I do not get involved in pricing, as I am a technical architect.

We didn’t evaluate any other alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. It is can be customized to business requirements without being too expensive.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller.
Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The solution has proper object control within the software.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, extremely flexible, and cost effective. It is well targeted for small and medium size businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

When we want to change a workflow, we can easily customize it without changing the core functionality. At the same time, there is proper object control within the software.

What needs improvement?

The security and user levels fields can be improved further so that it is not too tedious for end-user to map and set up.

The permission and roles settings of each individual user is there, but still very tedious. The fact that the application is extremely flexible also means that if security is not properly set up, a user can accidentally be given access to something that he should not have access to. For example, he might be given access to financial figures on the general ledger through another function because the navigational feature is so great.

We have been a partner of this product since 2000, hence more than 16 years now.

Prior to version 2013, concurrently posting online in real-time is challenging when we even talk about 50 users doing it at the same time. With version 2015 onwards, we can now do it with more than 100 users without a problem.

We used Progress DBMS accounting version from the UK, but that is not well supported once out of the UK.

The initial setup was straightforward, as it has templates for us to follow.

It is extremely cost effective and can be very productive once you run it for a year. There is also a subscription base for startup companies which can scale and grow as the business grows.

We have looked at Oracle and SAP B1, but the technicalities involved to build a vertical solution business in those products are not easy and sustainable for a small partner like us.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t attempt to customize to your needs. The first step is to work around existing functionality and then think carefully before jumping into customization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are business partners.
it_user347049 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Development Executive at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Global ERP that provides insight on data in real time.

What is most valuable?

• Provides management with insight about data on a real time basis
  • Helps real time data users who need to make entries into the system
  • It looks and feels like other Microsoft products
  • The user interface can be easily integrated with applications like Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
  • Drill down functionalities
  • Easy search functionality
  • The filtering facilities and drill down features are similar to how Microsoft Excel works

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our productivity and streamlined our processes.

What needs improvement?

In sales and marketing, we want improvement in workflow with more automation in the sales and marketing process.

Salespeople can improve their productivity by utilizing more technological advantages by implementing automatic workflows for sales tracking processes, lead funnels, and opportunity tracking.

I have been using Microsoft Dynamics NAV since 2013.

We did not have any stability issues.

We did not have any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 4/5.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was simple.

Pricing is high and the licensing policy is bit tricky. However, it’s a global ERP, so it’s difficult to comment.

We looked at SAP B1 and VAV ERP. Due to scalability and add-on development limitations in SAP B1, we opted for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

You should use it as is, with minimal customization.

it_user607836 - PeerSpot reviewer
MS Dynamics Nav developer with 51-200 employees
By centralizing the main data, each employee has the necessary information in real time.

What is most valuable?

Financial analytics provide end users with a real good picture of financial information, such as income and P&L. It can be divided by organization unit, for example, and it can be reported in one additional currency.

How has it helped my organization?

By centralizing the main data, each employee has the necessary information in real time. Analytics are helping management make the right decisions.

What needs improvement?

Can’t remember what to improve in MS Dynamics NAV at this time.

With every new version, more or less, the software is constantly improving.

From my experience, every client (company) that I spoke with, has asked for some customization/improvements. It seems like I have mixed the customization and improvements.

All the areas (modules) of the MS Dynamics NAV are really well-covered, so at this time, I can’t remember what needs to improve exactly.

I have been using base and earlier versions for more than 10 years. I have been using version 2016 for one year.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I use some local solutions. I did not completely switch to Dynamics NAV. Dynamics NAV is worldwide product, so you can find arrangements (jobs) in different countries.

In early versions, the installation was more complex. With newer versions, it became more straightforward. It depends on the complexity of the client's business and necessary customizations.

For basic implementations of ten user, prices are more affordable with the newer versions. Previously, the cost of licensing and implementation was much higher. Microsoft often has some sales actions for licensing.

My basic product orientation is to Dynamics NAV.  I have not evaluated other options recently.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look and do some analytics before implementation. Planning a budget for initial implementation can be underestimated due to unforeseen issues.

Head Of MIS/ERP - Senior Application Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Some of the features I find helpful are the create PDF feature, API integration and traceability of change log records.

Valuable Features:

• Role Tailored User Experience
  • Supported Web Service enabling pages and codeunit
  • Enhance Reporting become more user friendly
  • Added NAV Security Feature
  • Job Queue Capability
  • Offer API integration
  • Sales Credit Memo to Reverse a Sales Entry by using Copy Feature
  • Create PDF feature
  • Tracebility of Change Log Records

Improvements to My Organization:

Now, month-end reports are highly reliable and always ready on-time. In addition, Focus Point only needs four staff to compile all staff and finance reports, instead of ten. The work-hours required to compile critical reports has dropped by 60%, Sales reports are absolutely up-to-date, which means executives can create action plans in response to real-time trends.

With integrated sales and inventory data, executives ensure they avoid purchasing excessive stock. "Now, we can respond to customer demand very quickly by clearing obsolete fashion items and investing in high-selling products.

Focus Point can also open new stores more easily. It only takes a day for us to roll out our core technology in new stores, This makes it easier for us to expand, and makes our franchise business more attractive.

The company president believes the end-to-end platform has empowered executives. Dynamics NAV helps us make smart decisions that have a direct impact on our bottom line. As a result we have increased profit margins and improved cash flow. This technology is delivering real business value.

Room for Improvement:

Batch Processing Function should be developed to schedule running in the background at nighttime for posting a Purchase Receipt/Invoice, Sales Order/Invoice, Day End Statement or Item Journal Adjustment to minimize the Classic NAV table locking.

Senior programmer/ team leader at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cloud solution is easy to start, and this makes it easier. Clear budgeting...

What is most valuable?

• Stable
  • Well known
  • Easy to develop and maintain.

How has it helped my organization?

Cloud solution is easy to start, and this makes it easier.

What needs improvement?

Price for small organizations in the public sector should be less. They should make it open for independent developers, offering a free development license.

I've used it for two years.

I really like the stability.

The new version has different ways to grow.

There's a big community that helps and I like that.

7/10

I switched because this has better features.

A lot of available documentation makes deployment easy.

We used a vendor team, Hortus Digital, who were good.

It's good.

A long history gives me the feeling that the product will survive for a long time if they make improvements according to my advice. Now it is really useful for middle companies.

It depends of the country and industry, one is AX, SAP, Sage X3 plus country local specific options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am IT consultant for NAV
Download our free Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022