We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Data Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and use, but it should support integration with more systems
  • "The user interface is easy to work with."
  • "More connections with other systems should be added, which would allow for other integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Microsoft BI is one of the tools that we implement for our clients. We do not use it ourselves.

My primary use case is integration, but it is also used for reporting and data analysis services.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI for between eight and nine months.

Microsoft BI is a stable product.

I do not have experience with technical support. In cases where I have found an issue, I Google it, spend time learning about the problem, and then resolve it.

I have also used Alteryx and Informatica. We still may use one of these other products, depending on our client's requirements. If the client wants us to work using a specific product then that is their choice.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment will take an hour, or an hour and a half.

We deployed this product ourselves. It is easy to work on.

What other advice do I have?

I primarily use Microsoft BI for integration, so it is difficult for me to say what needs to be improved. Overall, this is a good tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Rajesh S
Technical Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, feature-rich, and easy to implement but there is no column-level security
  • "This product has a lot of features and most of them are user-friendly."
  • "There is no column-level security in Microsoft BI, and this is a feature that most of our customers are looking for. That is something that should be implemented."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Microsoft BI is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy to implement, as it is a web-based product that doesn't need to be installed.

This product has a lot of features and most of them are user-friendly.

The visualizations are pretty easy to create. In fact, if you want to create anything new, it is pretty easy to do.

The reporting capability is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Microsoft BI for between six and seven years.

This is a stable product.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

We also use Oracle BI.

The implementation process is pretty easy.

Both cost-wise and implementation-wise, this product is a good choice.

What other advice do I have?

This product is good in terms of cost, it is pretty easy to implement, and I can recommend it for those features and the reporting.

Overall, the product is good but there are a few limitations.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: implementer
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and useful for generating BI reports
  • "It seems stable. I haven't heard of any difficulties from my clients that utilize Power BI."
  • "Power BI could be improved by implementing more options for data integration. Nowadays, the cloud takes care of scalability and security. As we all know, data sources are increasing, so we get data from a variety of streams. But if we could get the downstream data into the database and update the reports more easily, Power BI would be better."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to generate BI reports.

What needs improvement?

Power BI could be improved by implementing more options for data integration. Nowadays, the cloud takes care of scalability and security. As we all know, data sources are increasing, so we get data from a variety of streams. But if we could get the downstream data into the database and update the reports more easily, Power BI would be better.

My company has been working with Power BI for five to ten years.

It seems stable. I haven't heard of any difficulties from my clients that utilize Power BI.

This solution is scalable.

I have never contacted technical support.

I didn't install this solution, our IT team took care of it.

Our in-house team took care of implementation. It should take a team of two to three to deploy and maintain Power BI.

I don't own the licenses — our clients do, and we work for them as engineering partners.

Tableau is another option.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Power BI, but it depends on one's business requirements. Tableau is another option, as well as a few other tools. My recommendation depends on business needs, budget, and the exact type of reports they need.

I would rate Power BI an eight out of ten.

Sai-Krishna
Manager, BI & Analytics at Perceptive Analytics
Simple to use but interface could be more intuitive

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for Microsoft BI are typical for business intelligence, including operational monitoring and KPI tracking.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy to use and simple.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a bit more intuitive. Some parts of the user interface could be a bit more intuitive so that it's a bit easier to use.

I have been using Microsoft BI for the past four years.

Microsoft BI is stable.

Microsoft BI is fairly scalable.

I have not really had to contact Microsoft BI. I think my use cases so…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy to use and simple.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI for the past four years.

Microsoft BI is stable.

Microsoft BI is fairly scalable.

I have not really had to contact Microsoft BI. I think my use cases so far have been pretty simple so I did not feel the need to interact with them.

The initial setup takes only a few minutes. It's just a matter of downloading the file and installing it.

Once it is installed, it takes minimal involvement from a maintenance perspective. It runs on its own.

We deployed Microsoft BI in-house. We did not need a vendor team to come in.

We are not paying any licensing fees for our current Microsoft BI setup. The version that we are using is free of cost unless you wish to deploy it on a server; that is where the cost component comes in.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Microsoft BI.

General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A generally uncomplicated installation, but stability fairs at only 70 percent
  • "The solution is not that difficult to install, although this will vary with the experience of the person responsible for its installation."
  • "I find the solution to be 70 percent stable."

What needs improvement?

I would rate the stability of Microsoft BI at 70 percent.

While the solution is scalable, it certainly has its limitations.

I find the solution to be 70 percent stable.

Although the solution comes with limitations, it is scalable.

Technical support is not that bad, fairing in the average range.

There are five people responsible for the deployment, their roles comprising a mixed bag, some of them being managers.

Our customers definitely incur a licensing fee.

The only other cost, besides the licensing fee, would be to cover support.

What other advice do I have?

There are only three customers using the solution at present.

I always offer more than one solution and the person must choose which he feels best suits his needs. All solutions have plusses and minuses and these should be carefully weighed before one decides which one to go with. Once the client has settled on a solution, this is what I will go with. We are talking about Microsoft store. Generally speaking, our clients prefer to make use of Microsoft.

I rate Microsoft BI as a seven out of ten.

This rating is based on what we have observed about the solution thus far, although it may be amended over the next few months as we become more acquainted with it.

BI technical analyst at a government with 11-50 employees
Priced well, responsive technical support, but needs to be simplified
  • "The scalability is good. We have 20 people in my organization using this solution and plan to increase usage."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together."

What is our primary use case?

This solution can be used for enterprise reporting, ad hoc visualization, and statistical analysis.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

In my experience, I have found this solution scalable.

The technical support has been good and the responses have been fast.

I have used other business intelligence solutions previously and I switched because this solution was cheaper and is on a Microsft platform.

The initial setup is more complicated than other solutions. Microsoft typically has more involved installations.

I did the implementation myself. We have three administrators doing the deployment and maintains of the solution.

Power BI is cheaper for smaller groups when comparing to competitors. It requires a monthly per-user subscription.

I have evaluated Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Certification Division at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Feature-rich, scalable, and is easy to install

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for official purposes and for my personal needs. I use it to sort my documents.

What is most valuable?

I have yet to experience all of the useful applications. I need to experience a lot more.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better, undisturbed stability without any interruptions.

I have been working with Microsoft products for three decades. I believe we are using Version 10.

Because our internet here is not constant, it fluctuates, which is why I don' use the cloud-based version. It is not stable. The stability could be improved.

Microsoft BI is…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better, undisturbed stability without any interruptions.

I have been working with Microsoft products for three decades.

I believe we are using Version 10.

It is not stable. The stability could be improved.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

We have more than 50 users in our organization. More of the users are technical people.

We have an IT technical expert in our organization. If we have any issues, he is the person who resolves them.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to install.

I completed the installation myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

I am considering personalization but I don't know what the possibilities and the advantages of it are.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are considering it.

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Project Business Analyst RPA at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Compatibility with different databases, complete tool, helpful technical support
  • "The most useful features are the ability to connect different databases to Microsoft BI and explore them. Once the database information has been extracted, you have the ability to construct indicators and dashboards from the information."
  • "The solution could improve by simplifying the user interface and adding integration or compatibility with APA."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI primarily for analyzing data to construct indicators and dashboards. We use the information to better understand our business to make effective decisions about our business for the future, such as keeping competitive with other companies.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features are the ability to connect different databases to Microsoft BI and explore them. Once the database information has been extracted, you have the ability to construct indicators and dashboards from the information.

Microsoft BI is a complete tool, it has all the functions needed for its purpose.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by simplifying the user interface and adding integration or compatibility with APA.

I have been using Microsoft BI for many years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We are able to see the users and the capability from the cloud platform.

Microsoft provides good technical support.

The installation is easy. However, there are many options and areas to configure that can be difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend those wanting to use this solution to take some courses to at least learn the minimal knowledge to analyze and construct indicators. This is a very powerful tool and if you understand it you can get the most out of it.

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.