Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ManageEngine OpManager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine OpManager is #17 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give ManageEngine OpManager an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. ManageEngine OpManager is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: ManageEngine OpManager vs SolarWinds NPM. ManageEngine OpManager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 19% of all views.
ManageEngine OpManager Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine OpManager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ManageEngine OpManager?

ManageEngine OpManager is a network, server, and virtualization monitoring software that helps SMEs, large enterprises and service providers manage their data centers and IT infrastructure efficiently and cost effectively. Automated workflows, intelligent alerting engines, configurable discovery rules, and extendable templates enable IT teams to setup a 24x7 monitoring system within hours of installation.

ManageEngine OpManager was previously known as OpManager.

ManageEngine OpManager Customers

Bonita, Thorp Reed & Armstrong, Galaxy, Fiserv Credit Union Division, Universitas 21 Global, ERP Suites LLC

ManageEngine OpManager Video

ManageEngine OpManager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ManageEngine OpManager pricing:
  • "Pricing for ManageEngine OpManager depends on the number of nodes you onboard and whatever pricing is reflected on the ManageEngine portal which offers discounts from ten percent to fifteen percent. It purely depends on the sales volume and the negotiation. In my organization, there are about one thousand two hundred nodes which cost around $29,000 per year. There's no additional support fee or maintenance fee from ManageEngine OpManager. Pricing for the solution is highly competitive and I would rate it five out of five. ManageEngine OpManager is one of the most competitive options out there."
  • "In terms of pricing, I would rate it a two out of five. It was expensive."
  • "We had perpetual licenses. The cost was around 36,000 for OPManager, and then you'd have the yearly maintenance fee of 2,000 or 3,000."
  • "We have a standard license for ManageEngine OpManager. We purchased the license for one year and now we are upgrading it soon."
  • ManageEngine OpManager Reviews

VENKATESHREDDY - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Simple and easy to use, and has good probe server and reporting features
    • "The features we found most valuable in ManageEngine OpManager are the probe server and reporting because they're pretty good features."
    • "What I'd like ManageEngine OpManager to improve on is artificial intelligence. In particular, the machine learning feature should be integrated with the sensor flow. Doing this will give leverage, especially when you look at other products such as the Cisco DNA Center. When a switch goes down, I should be able to build on the correlation of other physical devices it's connected to so that I can integrate that with my CA CMDB. The ManageEngine OpManager team needs to draw a long-term roadmap where that feature becomes an integral part of the solution because right now, machine learning in ManageEngine OpManager is a long process. The solution doesn't have MLS search and I want to see ML being developed and applied for CA CMDB to greatly reduce the burden of tying everything. For example, if I have a data center switch that goes down now, I should know what server it's connected to, and when that switch goes down at twenty-four ports, I would get twenty-four alerts for different devices plugged in. I should be able to make a correlation that the major problem lies in the switch and not with the twenty-four elements connected to that switch. That is where machine learning should come into play and the ManageEngine OpManager AI should indicate "This is where the root of your problem is." It could be difficult, but this is a feature that should be improved or added to the solution."

What is most valuable?

The features we found most valuable in ManageEngine OpManager are the probe server and reporting because they're pretty good features.

What needs improvement?

What I'd like ManageEngine OpManager to improve on is artificial intelligence.  In particular, the machine learning feature should be integrated with the sensor flow. Doing this will give leverage, especially when you look at other products such as the Cisco DNA Center. When a switch goes down, I should be able to build on the correlation of other physical devices it's connected to so that I can integrate that with my CA CMDB. The ManageEngine OpManager team needs to draw a long-term roadmap where that feature becomes an integral part of the solution because right now, machine learning in ManageEngine OpManager is a long process. The solution doesn't have MLS search and I want to see ML being developed and applied for CA CMDB to greatly reduce the burden of tying everything.

For example, if I have a data center switch that goes down now, I should know what server it's connected to, and when that switch goes down at twenty-four ports, I would get twenty-four alerts for different devices plugged in. I should be able to make a correlation that the major problem lies in the switch and not with the twenty-four elements connected to that switch. That is where machine learning should come into play and the ManageEngine OpManager AI should indicate "This is where the root of your problem is."  It could be difficult, but this is a feature that should be improved or added to the solution.

What I'd like to see in the next version of ManageEngine OpManager is for the machine learning and AI to be tied with the correlation engine because, at the moment, the existing correlation is lacking in terms of contextual awareness. Contextual awareness has to be more customized so that the operator or the person building or customizing the tool should have the flexibility to tie it with the CA CMDB application and the underlying inventory. This way, ManageEngine OpManager becomes more of a straightforward, next-generation solution concerning monitoring. For example, another player like New Relic has an application management module that's far ahead, but it's still lagging and would still need to catch up in terms of managing needs.

ManageEngine OpManager has integrations through APIs, but still needs further enhancement because there are still certain applications that would take hits, so the level of contextual awareness needs to be built on more, and that takes time.

I've been using ManageEngine OpManager for about one year now.

I found the support for ManageEngine OpManager fantastic. I've called the support team several times, and the team always came back to me immediately. There wasn't any delay with the response, and whenever there was a feature that my company felt was missing in ManageEngine OpManager, the product engineering team would include that in the roadmap. The team also indicated other features still being worked on and what has been worked on. My interaction with the ManageEngine OpManager support team has been good so far. There's no doubt about it.

Presale, after-sales, and whenever there's an issue, I would rate the support provided by the product engineers of ManageEngine OpManager as five out of five. I would recommend the solution in terms of the support provided because, in comparison with other products, the support team listens to the customers. It's been a nice experience for me, so far.

ManageEngine OpManager
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine OpManager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

My company has been comparing products and found out that it's better to stick with the existing product, ManageEngine OpManager, instead of going with another because now the team knows about the issues and downsides and how to address those.

The initial setup for ManageEngine OpManager was very simple. It was very, very easy. On a scale of one to five, with five being very easy and one being very difficult, my rating for the setup is four out of five.

Concerning the ROI from ManageEngine OpManager, we're very happy and satisfied because we didn't have to pay for additional overheads, particularly because we now don't need that many admins, so we were able to save. We're able to run the show with just three operators.

On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I would rate the ROI we get from ManageEngine OpManager as four out of five.

Pricing for ManageEngine OpManager depends on the number of nodes you onboard and whatever pricing is reflected on the ManageEngine portal which offers discounts from ten percent to fifteen percent. It purely depends on the sales volume and the negotiation.

In my organization, there are about one thousand two hundred nodes which cost around $29,000 per year. There's no additional support fee or maintenance fee from ManageEngine OpManager.

Pricing for the solution is highly competitive and I would rate it five out of five. ManageEngine OpManager is one of the most competitive options out there.

I did a small POC on SolarWinds, and unfortunately, the supply chain code got hacked and that impacted other SolarWinds products a lot. SolarWinds took a beating, and if that hack didn't happen and there wasn't much impact on other product lines, SolarWinds would be the clear winner over ManageEngine OpManager. Price-wise and support-wise, both solutions are good, but because of the hack, there is a security concern with SolarWinds, and this was a major reason to push back on SolarWinds, otherwise, my company would have gone with that solution.

I also compared ScienceLogic with ManageEngine OpManager, and though ScienceLogic has its engine, the engine fails whenever I try to build custom reports that my customers need. In ManageEngine OpManager, on the other hand, the process is simple. You just export it to a CSV format and you can do whatever you want with your other tools, so it's very easy, but in ScienceLogic, doing it would take a lot of time because of the connectors.

ManageEngine OpManager works better than other solutions because you don't need to be a guru to do simple tasks on it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently using ManageEngine OpManager.

Within my organization, thirty people use ManageEngine OpManager daily. The solution is being supported 24 x 7.

In terms of maintenance, a stable code is released every six months, so my team has to go back and plan it accordingly, which means keeping all the servers redundant. During the design process itself, the ManageEngine OpManager team did indicate that every quarter, certain packages would be released because the solution is dependent on Java and other frameworks, so it needs to be patched accordingly. Whenever a new patch is released, or there's a major code release at the design level, you need to keep servers more redundant, so you won't run into any issues, and this has helped my company reduce downtime. The monitoring has been always available and ManageEngine OpManager has never gone down. Only one staff is required for its maintenance.

My advice to others looking into implementing the solution is that if you're a legacy customer and you have budget constraints, ManageEngine OpManager is the way to go because it's a very simple solution for deployment, monitoring, and device availability. Though other competitors have advanced features, if I'm not using those features, then it doesn't matter. I'll be better of with ManageEngine OpManager because it's simple to use.

My rating for ManageEngine OpManager is eight out of ten.

My company is a customer of ManageEngine OpManager, not a partner.

MD at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
    Easy to set up and reliable but there are customization challenges
    • "The integration with the firewall monitoring, the security monitoring, is great."
    • "We had some stability issues at the outset that have since been resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring servers, networks, and security.

How has it helped my organization?

We run weekly and monthly reports to provide exceptions. And yeah, it's helped our organization remediate problems proactively.

What is most valuable?

The setup process is simple.

It is scalable.

It is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Nothing at this stage needs to be improved.

The pricing is quite high. In terms of the value, it is expensive.

We had quite a few challenges with customizing many of the monitors. Monitor customization was not that easy. It'd take quite a bit of work.

We had some stability issues at the outset that have since been resolved.

I've been using the solution for two years.

It was very unstable to start with for about seven months. That said, it was determined that was a memory-related problem. After the memory-related problem was resolved, it became more stable.

The solution can scale well.

We have 15 people on the solution currently.

We've dealt with support in the past, and they were helpful and responsive.

We had a few challenges where issues went backward and forward a few times. We explained the problem, yet they wouldn't address their problem directly. They would move around the problem. That went on over a period of a month. It took a long time to resolve the problem since it wasn't understood exactly where the issue was.

Positive

I also use SolarWinds.

We used to use WhatsApp Gold. We switched from that based on the look and feel of the product. The customer preferred the look and feel of ManageEngine to WhatsApp Gold.

In terms of deployment, it's a fairly straightforward initial discovery process.

We had so many modules, including the firewall monitor, et cetera. It was deployed over several months. It took about three months.

It is not difficult to maintain the solution.

We used third parties and integrators during the installation process.

It is a pricey solution. However, I don't directly deal with pricing.

We did not evaluate other options before moving to this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It's likely the latest update.

Based on the high cost, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

I don't know if I would recommend it. I would be at 50-50 on recommending it. If you're looking for specific features, then I would recommend it. However, I work with a lot of monitoring products, including SolarWinds and WhatsApp Gold, and I would say your functionality and value would be about 50%. It really depends on what you want to use it for. If I were to use it as straight monitoring, then just note up and down, I would say there are much cheaper options. If you want to use some of the functionality with the firewall analyzer, and NetFlow integration, then it might be a bit more valuable to you. Still, as an overall product, you'd probably prefer SolarWinds over ManageEngine.

For us, it's taken a long time to try to get the stability of the product. Now that we've got stability, it's still taking a long time to get the level of reporting out that we require. It's just slow progress around resolving problems, and maybe that's an integrated problem. I'm not sure. The integrator says that some of it is a vendor-related problem. I see value in certain areas, however, overall, there are better solutions.

ManageEngine OpManager
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sr.Network Engineer at NTT Security
    Stable, difficult to install, and the technical support could be improved
    • "Monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution."
    • "We would like link monitoring included. At times we need to monitor those specific links closely."

What is our primary use case?

We use ManageEngine OpManager to monitor our link status, latency, and errors.

What is most valuable?

It's a standard monitoring tool. It doesn't have a lot of extra features. It's primarily used for low-level monitoring.

Monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some concerns with the recording performance of ManageEngine OpManager. It does not offer accurate monitoring when compared to SolarWinds. We have seen endpoint collections lag, there has been some choking with a particular link, and it doesn't record properly.

ManageEngine OpManager should include drill-down features. If for example, we wanted to monitor a particular link closely, it should not be an option, it should available.

We have been using ManageEngine OpManager for the last five years.

ManageEngine OpManager is a stable solution.

We have one admin user, who logs in.

We have had several concerns with ManageEngine OpManager's scalability; it consumes a lot of resources.

We did not receive adequate support when we had problems during the installation. They take too much time to get it done.

I would rate them a two out of five.

Neutral

I have also worked with SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. It has been deployed on-premises.

We use SolarWinds Network Device Monitor to closely monitor links, which is not a feature that is available in ManageEngine OpManger.

There are significant differences when compared to SolarWinds. First and foremost, the accuracy will be completely different. When we use SolarWinds, we conduct a lot of proof-of-concept work, and occasionally we require specific data. We'll set up a trial enrollment at that time and collect the data. Which is different in ManageEngine. We can drill down if that particular graph is shown in SolarWinds. We cannot drill down in ManageEngine; instead, a five-minute countdown will begin. It will be correct every five minutes to one hour. If you raise the points, the links will be broken. I have approximately 3,000 links. If I increase that interval to one minute, it will consume more of the VMs.

SolarWinds is faster in terms of performance.

We have had some issues with the initial setup. We struggled to complete the installation.

When compared with SolarWinds, the pricing is a little lower. We chose the same because of the commercial aspect.

In terms of pricing, I would rate it a two out of five. It was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ManageEngine OpManager a five out of ten.

Senior Information Technology Specialist at a philanthropy with 501-1,000 employees
    I liked Network Configuration Manager, and it also had pretty good monitoring and alerts
    • "I liked Network Configuration Manager. They had some pretty decent features there, and they also had pretty good monitoring and alerts."
    • "The only problem with it is that the setup isn't very intuitive. I know that they just upgraded the product to make it a little bit easier to use, but compared to some of the other platforms, it is not easy to configure it, set it up, and get it running. However, once you have set it up and got it running, it runs great."

What is our primary use case?

I used it about six months ago. We implemented it in the last company I worked with. We were using it for patching, rolling out images, and other similar things.

We were using the most recent version.

What is most valuable?

I liked Network Configuration Manager. They had some pretty decent features there, and they also had pretty good monitoring and alerts.

What needs improvement?

Once it was set up and running, there were no issues with it. It seems to run fairly well.

It is scalable. I was the admin for this system, and we probably had over a thousand end-users. I was the only one who knew how to use it at the time.

Their tech support was pretty good. For any issues we had, they'd come in and work with us and get them resolved pretty quickly.

Its setup isn't very intuitive.

We had perpetual licenses. The cost was around 36,000 for OPManager, and then you'd have the yearly maintenance fee of 2,000 or 3,000.

What other advice do I have?

They have a service where they come in and configure it or do the setup for you for a price. I don't remember the price, but it was pretty reasonable. If you're not familiar with the platform, that might be a good thing to go with, especially if you don't want to go in and do the ifs and buts trying to set it up. It would be a lot easier if you had them come and set it up for you. With all the alerting and everything else that you have to set up with it, it takes a minute to get it up and running and have everything the way you wanted.

I'd give it a nine out of 10. I was really happy with it.

Fredrick-Massawe - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at Bakhresa Group of companies
    Useful real-time monitoring, beneficial virtual machines management, and scales well
    • "The most valuable feature of ManageEngine OpManager is the management of the virtual machine and the host machine."
    • "ManageEngine OpManager could improve the default dashboards that are available. We are not able to customize them easily and they do not give us the information we need unless we customize them. You need to have the technical knowledge to be able to do it, the customization should be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using ManageEngine OpManager to manage our virtual machine and the host machine.

How has it helped my organization?

ManageEngine OpManager has given us the ability to monitor real-time performance, and positions of our virtual machines and host machines. It has helped us to minimize the amount of time it took to manage them. We previously had to go one by one to the machines, but through the dashboard of ManageEngine OpManager, we can monitor all machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of ManageEngine OpManager is the management of the virtual machine and the host machine.

I have been using ManageEngine OpManager for approximately three years

ManageEngine OpManager is stable.

The scalability of ManageEngine OpManager is good.

There are three people using this solution in my organization.

I have not used the support from ManageEngine OpManager.

We previously were using VMware Workspace ONE but we found the features we needed were easier in ManageEngine OpManager. However, we use find they both have the use cases that they excel in and this is why we use them in parallel, we use both.

ManageEngine OpManager's initial setup is of a medium level of difficulty. I used some tools for the installation and for customization.

I did the implementation myself of ManageEngine OpManager.

The solution is easy to maintain.

We have a standard license for ManageEngine OpManager. We purchased the license for one year and now we are upgrading it soon.

I rate the license cost of ManageEngine OpManager an eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate ManageEngine OpManager an eight out of ten.

Technical Solution Specialist at a security firm with 51-200 employees
    A good product that is fairly stable but is too expensive
    • "We have found the solution to be stable."
    • "There are certain things that are not possible to do with Op Manager. It's a solution that still needs time to develop."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network monitoring, that is, firewall routing, switching, and application monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The product itself is very good.

The deployment isn't overly complicated.

We have found the solution to be stable.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is too high, which is why we are considering other options.

ManageEngine provides things in different layers, so it's not all in the same product.

Technical support could be better.

They need to work on the user-friendliness of the solution.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We've found it to be reliable.

The solution is scalable, so long as you have the right licensing.

Technical support isn't as good as it could be and is a service that needs work.

The solution is neither easy nor hard to set up. I'm pretty neutral on the process of implementation. It depends on the customer and the scope.

The cost of the solution is too high.

Due to the price of the solution, we're looking into what else might be available.

We're considering nGeniusONE for a customer.

What other advice do I have?

I am a partner, cybersecurity partner, in Sri Lanka.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. Our issue is mainly with pricing. Technical support also should be improved. More than that, the product has to be feasible in order for me to take it to the customer. I have a couple of potential customers who are truly looking for a different product than this. It just isn't going to give them what they need.

That said, I would recommend OpManager as there are other products I have seen that are not even up to the standard of OpManager.

Jose Antonio Rivera Mora - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Project Office Manager at Grupo Lala
    Easy to use, easy to deploy, and good support
    • "It is easy to use and deploy."
    • "We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices. Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for Windows operating systems.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and deploy.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices.

Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have.

We have been using this solution for around 18 months.

I don't have direct access to their technical support. However, I am aware of some of the tickets that our clients have raised, and they seem to provide information in an easy way. Their technical support is good.

I was not a part of the deployment process, but based on what I know, it was easy to deploy.

We had evaluated other products, and we decided to go for OpManager because of its ease of use and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I feel comfortable working with it.

I would rate ManageEngine OpManager a nine out of ten.

Network security architect at ARCEP
    A simple, user-friendly solution with helpful support and plenty of documentation available
    • "Some of the most valuable features are the accessibility of the solution and the fact that it is simpler than other products. For example, discovering devices in the network is very simple, making it user-friendly."
    • "There needs to be improvements to make the solution capable of supporting more devices, and it would be good to see an option for automatic deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We use OpManager for monitoring our network devices.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are the accessibility of the solution and the fact that it is simpler than other products. For example, discovering devices in the network is very simple, making it user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be improvements to make the solution capable of supporting more devices, and it would be good to see an option for automatic deployment.

I would like to see MDM for our VCM in this solution.

My company has been using this solution since 2015.

I use this product daily, and the stability is very good and reliable.

This solution is very scalable.

The ManageEngine technical support team is very available.

Positive

The setup is not complex. It's really simple and there is documentation available. I would rate my initial setup experience as a five out of five.

We handled the deployment in-house. It took about five days, but much of that was prep time.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution that the ManageEngine support team is very available and helpful, there is plenty of documentation, and the price compared to other products is very affordable.

I would rate this solution as a ten out of ten.

Download our free ManageEngine OpManager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022