HPE BladeSystem OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE BladeSystem is the #2 ranked solution in top Blade Servers. PeerSpot users give HPE BladeSystem an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. HPE BladeSystem is most commonly compared to HPE Synergy: HPE BladeSystem vs HPE Synergy. HPE BladeSystem is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
HPE BladeSystem Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE BladeSystem Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is HPE BladeSystem?
HP ProLiant BladeSystem share power, cooling, network, and storage infrastructure via the blade enclosure. Since equipment is not needed for each server, you get a dramatic reduction in power distribution units, power cables, LAN and SAN switches, connectors, adapters, and cables. And you can add the newest-generation technologies by simply changing individual components.

HPE BladeSystem was previously known as HP ProLiant BL Series Servers, HP ProLiant BladeSystem, HP BladeSystem.

HPE BladeSystem Customers
EMIS Health
HPE BladeSystem Video

HPE BladeSystem Reviews

Systems Analyst at BCFSA
Good service, reliable, and remotely accessible through the iLO feature
  • "Uptime and service are valuable for us. When we have an issue, uptime and being able to get an emergency replacement or actual service is the most important thing for us."
  • "I am not sure if iLO is included or if there is a separate license. If it is not included, it should be included in the license. It is such a valuable feature especially because people are working remotely."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our things are low intensity on the compute side. It is just redundancy and backup. We have some legacy apps that are web applications on .NET. They're all Windows servers.

We also have some file servers. When it comes to the file servers, we are getting away from that and moving everything to the cloud. It is mainly going to be used to maintain our legacy infrastructure, and it is mostly going to be for .NET and low-intensity things.

What is most valuable?

Uptime and service are valuable for us. When we have an issue, uptime and being able to get an emergency replacement or actual service is the most important thing for us.

With iLO and other features, our experience has been really good especially when a lot of people are working remote or offsite. The iLO feature gives us the ability to get onto our server when we're remote. In the case of any issues, we can access it and reboot it if we need to.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if iLO is included or if there is a separate license. If it is not included, it should be included in the license. It is such a valuable feature especially because people are working remotely.

Our company has had HP rack servers for 20 years.

HPE BladeSystem
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE BladeSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've only been here for seven years, and it has been really good all these years. For servers, in general, the goal is to be stable. Most of them are redundancy-based, and I don't remember having any issues. We probably had a switch fail once, but we had dual. We just got a replacement and swapped it out. There was just hard drive failure, but that's just the nature of the beast kind of thing.

We haven't done a ton of scalability. So, I don't have any thoughts on that.

In terms of its usage, we're a regulator. We are representing five industries right now. We probably have a couple of thousand people using it on their external site accessing it, but internally, we're a small organization. We only have about 300 employees. Our infrastructure team has three people right now, and we are hiring two more infrastructure people. We're not huge. In theory, one person does pretty much all the maintenance.

I personally haven't interacted with them, but my team's experience has been pretty good. They haven't had any complaints. We've always had one of the top-tier, low-downtime support packages. When things fail, usually, we get a response right away, and if it is a part-related issue, it is handled right away. I have never heard them say anything that would imply that they're not happy with the support.

We just did a merger, and the organization we merged with has two Lenovo blades that we use. Our boss's boss is a big Lenovo fan, but we don't have a ton of experience. It has been six months of usage.

It is very straightforward. The application configuration is somewhat complex, but we'll be migrating. So, it'll be very straightforward.

We're in the early stages of replacing some of our legacy hardware. Currently, we're primarily HPE, and we do have some Lenovo racks, and they're pretty old. Some of them are approaching six years.

I haven't directly dealt with HPE, but I've heard that HPE has been really good. People didn't have any complaints, but my boss's boss likes Lenovo for some reason. We're doing a general cost analysis and shopping around to see what it is like out there and what other people have experienced. We are looking at solid state because we are currently on mechanical hard drives.

Ideally, we'd like to keep everything in the same family just to limit complexity and have the same manufacturer. Having two or three manufacturers means extra things to have to look after. We are moving to the cloud as well. We're just trying to make our server room less complex.

What other advice do I have?

We like it for the most part. Support is always key for us personally. Don't lose sight of it, but ideally, it is a set-up-and-forget solution.

I would rate it a nine out of ten because it is always good to have something to strive for.

JuanDuque - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Capacity and Control Management at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Very reliable, expands well, and is pretty simple to set up
  • "The product has been simple to set up."
  • "It could always use new tools."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working just with the Generation 9 and Generation 10 as Generation 8 is obsolete. We are leaving that kind of solution. These generations are a little bit obsolete since the processor, and the spec of the Blades are behind a newer HP solution.

Right now, we're using that with a Citrix server and use it with VMware SX 7.0.

What is most valuable?

It's scalable, and it's stable.

The product has been simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

One thing that is already being fixed in the new solution is how you connect with the console of tech management of this Blade or other enclosures. Right now, usually, you have to connect one by one, and it's a little tedious. And besides, the better option or best option they have to improve is to consolidate the way you connect to this platform. Right now, for example, if the new solution (Synergy) has a way to connect to everything and is a one-view console, it would be ideal.

It could always use new tools.

It is a stable platform. The number of issues or the number of failures on the system that we have with this platform is minimal. It's reliable, and the performance is good.

This is important. Usually, you get a cluster configured on that platform. This cluster usually has critical services, and it's important that you put services on a stable platform. Specifically, with generation 9, we have four years with this solution, and in those four years, the issues or failures have been very few.

The solution can scale.

There are 30 people, approximately, who can access the console and manage the whole platform. The server that we have inside of it is related to the virtualization and might have more than 1000 users.

In the past year, support was very good. We got fast answers.

For example, if we have a Blade fail or something like that, the response was very quick. However, right now, it takes so long to change parts, it's not as good. For example, if you need to replace a part of the display, sometimes it takes a while, even if we have a contract. Even if we have an SLA contract, they take so long now.

Neutral

Compared with other brands like Cisco and Dell, HP is very stable and very scalable. It's very useful for the Intel platform that we use it is related to VMware or Citrix.

We like the HP platform and have used it all these years. We are very comfortable with it. It's one reason we want to continue with it. However, the price is not that good.

It is very straightforward to set up. It's not complex.

The length of deployment depends on the way that you configure the Blades. For example, if you're going to work with VMware, the time could be at least 25 to 30 minutes. It is not going to depend on the BladeSystem; it is going to depend on the time of the operate system deployed.

The number of people you need for maintenance depends on the monitoring system that you have. For example, if you have a good monitoring system for this platform you're going to need less than ten specialists, but if you don't have a monitoring system to check the platform, probably you're going to need more than ten people.

The prices right now for HP are high. It has the highest price if you compare it with other solutions like Dell, for example.

That said, I don't directly deal with contracts and can't speak to the exact cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer.

I'm currently using HP Blades for c7000 Enclosures. Also, I'm using two Synergy Blades with Synergy Frames.

The Blades are not being sold anymore, and HP is moving people over to Synergy. I'd advise new users to take advantage of Synergy Blades going forward.

I'd rate it a nine out of ten due to its general stability. Compared to other solutions in the market, HP is quite stable.

HPE BladeSystem
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Windows Instructor at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scalable, and good support, but the setup could be simplified and it's being discontinued
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the ease of management with the hardware."
  • "It will be discontinued so we will have to change to another product shortly."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE BladeSystem as an internal cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE BladeSystem makes it much easier since it's been there. We can set up the hardware once and just provision what we need from that.

What is most valuable?

We are very pleased with using this solution.

What needs improvement?

We are very happy with what we have, but HPE is not going to continue with BladeSystem. It will be discontinued so we will have to change to another product shortly.

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for approximately seven years.

We use the BL460 series and the version is C7000. We have a mix of Gen9 and Gen10 servers.

Stability-wise, it's been very good for us.

We have had very few issues with it, hardware-wise, and even very few software issues with it.

Overall, the HPE BladeSystem has been very stable for us.

For our purposes, it has worked exactly the way we expected it to.

It has been very scalable for us. We have been able to add additional servers, add additional C7000 chassis, and it just continues to work. It has been very scalable and worked very well.

We have two C7000s, and a total of 17 blade servers. Most of the servers have the attached storage blade for increased storage, besides what's in the blade itself.

Our initial implementation included a couple of NAS units, but they were very slow, which is why we went with the storage blade units. That gave us better performance.

We have upgraded to some newer NAS units from HPE, and they've worked very well for us, which is why we are starting to slowly shift in that direction. That may change now since we're going to have to go with a new platform the next time we do an upgrade.

I have contacted technical support once or twice, and it was very good.

We were very pleased with the support that we received.

We went from individual servers, or individual racking at servers, to the blade system.

The initial setup was different than anything we had done before. It was a little bit complex to get initially set up. But, once it was set up, the ongoing management has been fairly easy.

If I had to do it again, it would be very easy to do, now that we're familiar with it.

We rolled it out over time. We modified our implementation a little bit as we went along, as we discovered different features and different capabilities.

I maintain the solution. It only requires one person.

I am not familiar with the pricing.

We will be evaluating other solutions since we discovered that they are not going to be making the BladeSystem anymore.

What other advice do I have?

We have had good luck with them, and good success with them.

We haven't had any issues that are major issues. We have been very pleased with it.

I would rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

IT Manager at Umm Al-Qura University
Extremely versatile and reliable with great tech support
  • "Modularity is a key feature that provides energy saving ."
  • "The connectivity speed could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for medium to enterprise-size organizations. I'm the IT manager of our company and we are customers and users of HPE BladeSystem.

What is most valuable?

Modularity is key to this solution. It's the main feature and it provides energy savings because you have one enclosure, and one system for the energy and power supply. In terms of connectivity, Blade is more versatile than other solutions because of its three-tier architecture. I know the new trend is HCI technology, but that requires changing the whole node which increases the cost. On the SAN storage, I don't have to change anything on Blade. If I need to change the memory, I can do it blade by blade, and don't have to upgrade the whole node of the plate.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity speed could be improved. It's the major thing everyone looks for. When you upgrade your system, you want connectivity at the highest speed possible.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

Stability is great and it's a reliable solution. We haven't had a single serious incident and only a couple of minor issues. It's one of the reasons it's an expensive solution. Competitors would not be able to compete.

I believe BladeSystem is more scalable than HCI. If I want to add more storage or more memory on HCI, I have to add additional notes. With Blade, if I need extra storage, it's just a matter of additional discs.

HP are the best on tech support. I really appreciate that they never leave you in the dark. They always track your case and can be very proactive, sometimes telling me if I have a storage problem. If there's a power shortage or power fluctuation, they let me know.

Positive

I previously worked with Dell and with IBM. Both are now good companies, especially when they merge their technology with EMC. I don't have recent experience with either of them. I think they've improved a lot over recent years and are probably at the same level as HPE.

When we initially deployed BladeSystem, it was a little complicated but once you're set up you don't need to think about it. The main difference between the HCI and Blade is that HCI is easier when it comes to setup.

HPE is not the cheapest solution but if you want to buy a Rolls Royce, it costs. They are the most expensive product on the market. It's been 10 years since we implemented it, so I don't remember the licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to grow slowly, but plan for your growth. Don't get an enclosure that won't have expandability and don't go to a cheaper all-in-one model because you might get stuck with it for four or five years. You have to make sure that your system is expandable and that you can grow with it.

Overall, I rate this solution nine out of 10.

VMware Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to use, and offers good scalability
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "The support you get is dependant on the region. Some regions are better than others."

What is our primary use case?

We are using HPE for the virtualization. All machines are virtualized, and we are using them in the clusters. They are highly available and set up on the default ones as well. For the DMZ, we use regular rack servers. Those are separate clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

We find the product to be very stable.

The scalability is great.

Technical support is okay.

What needs improvement?

These particular blades are no longer being produced. If they produced more or offered support for them I would be interested in getting more.

It would be ideal if they had been offered at a lower price point. If they bring them back, I'd buy them at a lower price point.

I have been here, in this company, for more than four years. We have been using the product since I have been here, so it's likely been more than five years that the company itself has used the product.

The stability of the product is very reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well. It's not a problem if a company wants to expand it.

We have thousands of people that use it.

I've been in touch with technical support in the past. The level of service you receive depends on the region. We have two data centers, one in Frankfurt and one in Paris. When we were assigned to the Frankfurt team, they are okay, however, the local French team left us a bit unsatisfied.

Mainly we are using blade servers from different vendors. We have Cisco UCS, HPE blade servers, and Lenovo blade servers on the global team.

In previous companies, I used HPE and the Cisco blade servers as well - the Cisco UCS servers. In one other company, I used Dell servers as well.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is very straightforward and simple. However, I was not directly involved with the initial setup. It was two or three years ago.

I'm not sure exactly how long the deployment process takes.

We have five or six people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. They are all engineers and one is a team leader.

The price of the product was a bit on the high side.

You do have to pay for the hardware and a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend it to others.

Member of management at Cyprobes
Issue-free and easy to upgrade but is a bit expensive
  • "The solution is issue-free and works almost flawlessly."
  • "If you compare it with Lenovo systems, the pricing is too high."

What is our primary use case?

These are rack servers.

We have data for banking services. We use Windows servers, mostly. We install applications and banking applications mostly, otherwise like some E-discovery services servers are there. We have almost 25 servers. Some of them are in a data center, and some of them are in-house.

What is most valuable?

We can enhance the processors and increase the RAM. It's easy to do. It's very easy to upgrade.

The solution is issue-free and works almost flawlessly.

It's simple to set up if you have some experience with the product.

The solution is very stable.

It is scalable.

What needs improvement?

If you've never used the solution before, the initial setup can be complex.

The pricing is high. If you compare it with Lenovo systems, the pricing is too high. At this point in time, we are looking for some servers and when we have compared the prices we found Lenovo is the lowest option, even though they have about the same level of services.

We'd like them to be more scalable.

I'd like to be able to implement a single test system.

I've used the solution for a few years.

It's a stable, reliable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

They can scale if it is required.

We have more than 1,000 users on the solution right now.

Technical support is good. They are helpful and responsive.

Positive

Depending on your knowledge, the solution can be very easy or a bit complex to set up.

These are rack servers, so most of the time goes into acquiring them. Once you order them, it takes around four to eight weeks to get them. Once you get those servers, they can be deployed in a week or five days' time.

How many people you need for maintenance depends upon the technical guys as well as the applications themselves. If you're maintaining, then you just need two or three guys. However, it would take more resources if you talk about connectivity and application maintenance and other parts. It also depends upon the number of servers we have installed.

The cost of the solution is high. There are other cheaper options.

There is no licensing. You pay for the solution once.

We are currently comparing the solution to Lenovo.

What other advice do I have?

We use it in-house and in a data center.

They need to make the product more scalable and price-efficient.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten. It needs to be a bit less expensive.

Ali Yazıcı - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy initial setup with good stability and simple troubleshooting
  • "The solution uses a smaller space in our data centers. It uses less feeder and network cable, which reduces costs."
  • "The response time in terms of getting technical support assistance could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our SQL Server VMware virtualization. We put this on our on SQL Servers and VMware virtualization systems on this product.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution uses a smaller space in our data centers. It uses less feeder and network cable, which reduces costs. Troubleshooting is also easier than other options.

What is most valuable?

The solution saves us space and resources (like cables).

It's very easy to troubleshoot if we have issues.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It's a bit expensive. They should work on bringing down the pricing if they can.

We have one older model, we've used for maybe six or seven years. We also have a new one, which is Synergy, we've used for two years.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's free of quirks and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it out, they should be able to do so.

Our company has over 5,000 users on this solution.

We will continue to use the solution into the future.

The technical support is okay, I'd rate it seven out of ten overall. Their response times could be faster.

We didn't switch from a different solution. We had older models which we updated. We've always used HPE.

The initial implementation is not complex. It's a pretty straightforward process.

We deployed the solution over 100 servers, and it didn't take too long to deploy.

We have about ten to 20 people managing the solution.

We had a vendor assist us with the implementation.

I don't know the exact cost of licensing, however, it's my understanding that the solution is relatively expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using or if it's the latest.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. If the pricing was better and they offered better support, I would rate the solution higher.

Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has scalable capabilities
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "If the hardware offered higher efficiency, that would be an ideal situation for our company."

What is most valuable?

In my company, they tried to convert to hyper-converter due to the fact that the on-premise server is still a low demand. Some workloads we have moved to public CoW. We tried to reduce our footprint, our data center, to use only hyper-converged. It's good for that purpose.

The solution is very easy to use. It's not overly complex. I'd describe it as a user-friendly product.

The solution is stable. The performance is good.

The solution can scale to a certain extent.

What needs improvement?

It's an old-fashioned technology now.

I'm not sure precisely what should be improved. I can't recall any missing features.

I have ten years of experience with this solution. It's been about a decade. I've used it for quite a while.

The solution is very stable. We find it to be quite reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is very good.

While the solution is pretty scalable, every company has its own context. Therefore, the scaling process might be different. In my future plans, for example, it's hard to reduce my footprint, as the workload has moved to CoW. Something that's based on-premise has limited parameters. That's why I'm trying to use the totally hyper-converged system.

I don't really have any direct experience with support from HPE, however, when they had the reports about the system, I would say the review was that they were okay. There have been no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of service, from what I can tell. I have heard nothing negative about the level of service.

I'm not an operations person. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to implement the solution. It's not an aspect I worried about or specifically had to deal with.

As I wasn't a part of the implementation process, I cannot speak to if there was any assistance with the process.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer and an end-user. We don't have a professional relationship with HPE.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a nine. We've mostly been quite pleased with the product and its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other users, companies, and organizations.