Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Google Workspace OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Workspace is #2 ranked solution in top Email Applications, #2 ranked solution in top Wireless Email tools, #2 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms, and #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage tools. PeerSpot users give Google Workspace an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Google Workspace is most commonly compared to Microsoft Exchange Online: Google Workspace vs Microsoft Exchange Online. Google Workspace is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 54% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
Google Workspace Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Workspace Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Google Workspace?

Similar to G Suite, all Google Workspace plans provide a custom email for your business and include collaboration tools like Gmail, Calendar, Meet, Chat, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites, and more.

As we’ve evolved G Suite into a more integrated experience across our communication and collaboration tools, we’ve rebranded to Google Workspace to more accurately represent the product vision.

Google Workspace was previously known as G-Suite Enterprise, G-Suite, Google Apps for Business, G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G-Suite Basic, G-Suite Business, Google Vault.

Google Workspace Customers

There are over five million businesses that use Google Apps for Business worldwide. Some key customers include The Roche Group, National Geographic, American Red Cross, City of Los Angeles, Flight Centre, and Konica Minolta.

Google Workspace Video

Archived Google Workspace Reviews (more than two years old)

Jacky Hood - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at FieldDay Solutions, Inc.
Document sharing enables multiple people to work on the same document
  • "The document sharing in which multiple people can work on the same document. To go along with that is the archiving of documents. If you mess up a document, it's easy to go get a previous version."
  • "The problem with the presentation is that if you upload a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation and you convert it to Google presentation, the slides or pictures, their images are not editable. You can't edit the slides that you brought in. They're just images."

What is our primary use case?

Our administrator has it set up so that we can share the Calendar and Gmail, we can send Gmail outside, but we cannot include any outsiders in the documents. It is possible to change that, but that's the way our administrator has set it up, that it's totally a private environment.

We use Gmail, we use Calendar, we use Drive and Drive includes presentations, although their presentations aren't great, documents and spreadsheets, workbooks, which are multiple spreadsheets. I think that's it. But the presentation is not great so we don't use it very much.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The problem with the presentation is that if you upload a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation and you convert it to Google presentation, the slides or pictures, their images are not editable. You can't edit the slides that you brought in. They're just images.

That's a big defect in this. That's why we almost never use it because it converts Microsoft slides into pictures.

Another thing that would be nice is to have more storage because each person has 15 gigabytes and I just hit 90% again. Then I have to go in and delete a bunch of emails and I hate losing my old emails, but I don't have any choice. That's the limitation.

I have been using it for nine years since I've been at my company.

Google Workspace
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Google Workspace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

As far as stability, it's 100% stable. I've never seen it ever fail in any way.

There are around 60 users who use it. We use it constantly 24/5, we're not open on the weekends. We have around the clock shifts. So it's in use all the time.

There's no maintenance required. I think this latest change the administrator made was probably the first change he's made in two years.

I wasn't there for the setup but I know the guy who's the administrator and I'm sure he had to make a bunch of selections like the one I mentioned earlier that ours is private. Our documents are private. We can't share outside the company.

Recently on Calendar, it kept trying to put us to assume that any event was a Google meeting. It's Google's product. It's called Google Meet. Of course, we can use Meet, which used to be called Hangouts. And we do once in a while, we use Google Hangouts if our other chat system is down. But when you set up a meeting the default was to put us into Google Meet. Then if we were using some other tool, people would get confused. They'd say, "Well, is the meeting on Google Meet or is it on GoToMeeting or is it on Zoom?" Et cetera. So our administrator recently changed it so that that default is not there. And so if you want Google Meet, you have to select it. I would say probably when he initially set it up, it might've taken him half an hour to find out what people wanted and then put in the selections- 30 minutes maybe.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Google is trying to implement a telephone system on top of it. I would say, wait and see, because that's a new product, and wait and see if it's going to work and if it's going to cause you problems.

Steven Wilson - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder CEO at Stacqdale
Great for collaboration, extremely scalable, and reasonable pricing
  • "I like the capabilities for collaboration on any platform. For example, I might be on an iPad whereas the person next to me is on a laptop and the person next to them is on their phone. We can all collaborate together and update documentation in real-time."
  • "Better integration without visual misrepresentation with the Microsoft suite is required."

What is our primary use case?

It's a wonderful solution for an organization that is changing in size dramatically. I find it super easy to add, delete, or replace users. From an administrative perspective, that's really nice. It provides all the collaboration and integration needed for teams and uses the Microsoft Suite of solutions quite nicely.

What is most valuable?

Working on documentation and the revalidation of formulas in their sheets application are both hugely valuable. I don't use as much some of their native version management. I tend to have my own system for that, so I don't use it for that, however, I do like the ability for multi-user real-time collaboration. That's a critical value point on G Suite.

What needs improvement?

Better integration without visual misrepresentation with the Microsoft suite is required. Right now, I'm paying for everything from my website and everything else under Google suite. I really like it. However, on occasion, when I have to interact, especially back and forth, and particularly on legal terms documents, there's always some formatting or structural issues between G Suite documents and Microsoft Word, for example.

When you're copying files from one location to another and they say, "Oh, there are already files there. Would you like to just overwrite them? Or would you like to choose them one by one?" I would like, when I'm looking to integrate with a Microsoft user, to be able to make my selections on a selection by selection basis, and then be able to save that as a configuration for that communication between myself on G Suite and them on Microsoft Office. That would be an amazing feature.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been two decades.

I've never seen a limit to the solution in terms of how high it can scale. I've never seen an upper-end issue. I'm also talking about users to the maximum of hundreds. I haven't needed the solution for tens of thousands of people. I'm assuming that there is some sort of upper limit, however, for now, both the limit from an individual user or for small and medium-size organizations, the ability to quickly adjust your limits on the storage isn't a problem.

For example, I'm using Google storage as my primary cloud storage provider. I find it fantastic. And I get a lot of warnings as to when I'm getting close to the limit. I can just up my program, increase my storage and it's done. I don't have to do anything more.

We've never had to deal with technical support. I'm capable of doing it all myself and or one or two of the other people in our office can handle any problems as well. Since we've ever had to deal with technical support, I can't speak to their quality of service.

I've used Office 365 and related solutions from Microsoft almost as much as G Suite. I also use communications platforms, such as Zoom.

I only use Zoom when I have to. It's not one of my favorite platforms. I prefer others. I prefer the Google Suite communications platform. If I look on my phone, I've got Google Hangouts, Google duo, and I'll tend to use those over Zoom.

Zoom is getting better. The security is getting better. However, I still use Google and WebEx and any number of different platforms depending on what is the preferred platform of my customers.

I do not know the licensing costs off the top of my head. It's been months since I've looked at it. Due to the fact that we're on a per-user basis, I consider the pricing to be very reasonable. However, it fluctuates up and down with the number of employees.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers; we don't have a business relationship with Google.

There's always going to be a decision to either go with a G Suite, Microsoft Office, or some other open-source platform like Open Office. I would suggest G Suite to someone who's considering making a move, especially if they are a new enterprise. They need to consider carefully who they're going to be interacting with in terms of clients.

Does it make sense for them to pay the premium price and go to the Microsoft Suite because of the nature of the work they're doing? It depends on the situation. If I was doing a lot of legal work with a lot of documentation back and forth, I wouldn't even think twice. I'd only use Microsoft.

However, if I'm doing a lot of other sorts of work where I need to have collaboration, I would hands down choose G Suite. If I'm not worried about collaboration and I just want cheap and cheerful, I would probably go to Open Office.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Google Workspace
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vinay Mistry - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder & MD at Coequal Associates Private Limited
In constant use for office related work and collaborative meetings; very secure and user friendly
  • "It's a secure solution that enables you to choose those you wish to share with."
  • "Less customizations than there used to be."

What is our primary use case?

We have a team of eight people and everyone is using G Suite whether for collaboration, storing files, Google Word, or using Sheets to Slides, it's all on G Suite. 99.95% of our work revolves around it. It's mainly for office related work and collaborations, that's our primary use case. We're a customer of G Suite and I'm the founder and M.D. of our company.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us a lot of working together on single artifacts. Since we are in consulting there are lot of documents we build so now we don't have to send documents, we work on the same document with a lot better version control.

Google meet has helped us a lot as well, we do all our customer / internal meetings over google meet. Majority of our workforce is either onsite or working remotely.

What is most valuable?

This product is quite secure in that I can choose the people whom I want to share with, and it's not automatically available to everyone. It's also very user friendly. We started using Gmail and other Google applications almost 12 years ago, so it was quite easy for us to blend in the entire collaboration suite. They're the two major reasons we chose to use Google Suite.

What needs improvement?

There are quite a few things missing in G Suite. It can create a barrier to some features so that for a particular presentation we might have to move to Microsoft PowerPoint for a presentation. Also, some years ago, the Google Sites were very customizable but now they've become a bit compact, and we don't have the same number of plugins and customizations available. Those are two issues we face.

For additional features, we currently face a problem with the lack of a remote desktop option. It means that if we're collaborating, I cannot access your desktop the way it can be done with Skype or Microsoft Teams. It's a feature that's used regularly and that's important to all of us and should be something they include in the next release.

We've been using this solution for the past two years.

This is a stable solution. The only issues are when moving to a new framework, there can be hiccups but we haven't had any outages.

Anna: Okay, perfect. And if we're talking about scalability, have you tried to scale it?

In our own organization we've implemented for 10 people but we have implemented to 100 in other companies. The scalability really doesn't have a limit. So, if you go for the G Suite, it's a highly scalable solution. I know companies with 400 employees that are using G Suite without a problem.

I've contacted technical support once in the last 2 year because of a misconfiguration on our side, and they were able to sort it out. Unfortunately, in India there's no direct support network, so we have to raise a request over email or in the portal and they connect us to Malaysia or somewhere.

If you follow the implementation process step by step, there is almost no chance that you will run into a problem. We are an IT service and solutions company and we did the configuration ourselves without using any external party and it was very simple and intuitive. You just follow the instructions step by step. Deployment takes maybe an hour and it doesn't change, whether you have 10 users or 400 users. There is no maintenance required for this solution.

I believe we pay approximately 2500 Rupees monthly for our users. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Individuals need to explore the options based on their business needs. G Suite has building forms, online forms, reports, everything like that. It's just a matter of exploring it and understanding your requirements.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. It still requirements some improvements in order to catch up to Microsoft.

IT Director at a analyst firm with 201-500 employees
Email communication that is easy to use and is always ahead of this competition

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for communications, through email.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is simple to use.

Everybody tries to emulate Google. I would say that they are leaders in the area of email.

It's a rolling release, it's always changing.

What needs improvement?

The price could be reduced.

I have been using G Suite Enterprise for approximately two years.

What other advice do I have?

They are always ahead of the competition, there is not much to improve as long as they keep maintaining the same momentum.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Principal Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good email service, however, no technical support and needs to be more automated
  • "In terms of email, I could probably do the same things with other programs, however, I find 90% of my usage is Gmail."
  • "The solution is not user-friendly and it doesn't integrate that well with Microsoft Office, which is one of the bigger business apps on the market, compared to Google Sheets and applications of that sort."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for various aspects of my business (scheduling/calendar, email, etc.).

What is most valuable?

The two best aspects of the solution for me are the calendar and the email (Gmail).

What needs improvement?

If I were to think about what could be improved for G Suite for business, if you're talking about automated processes or that kind of functionality, that would be great. If there were pre-programmable items, I think that would be very helpful for me. For instance, there's a lot of steps that I take to line up an agreement. I get a signed agreement, I scan it, it goes onto my computer (which is OneDrive), and then I need to open my email and email my administrator.

That's a pretty repetitive task. If it is easier to create automated-type items or templated forms, that would be fantastic.

There needs to be more intuitive support on offer. I want to integrate more features into my business to get more use out of the solution without having to take hours and hours of time that I just don't have. How to integrate what and where requires research. I don't want to research how to work the solution. I want it to be clear about what it is I can build out and how to do it quickly.

If there was a better way to integrate the solution into all of my other devices, like my phone, I'd be happier with it. I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 device. If there was a way for all of this to be vertically integrated with Chat, Hangouts, and all the different items associated with the solution, where it would be in one place rather than all over, that would probably make it easier, and make it feel more integrated.

I also do not like how Google tracks every email I send.

With Google, I used to have to log in and pull it up and do everything on a webpage. I just find it much easier to work right off the desktop rather than on a web page, which is why I prefer the Microsoft Office suite.

In terms of using the solution personally for my business, I have been using it for three years.

I've found the stability to be not that great. The reason is that I've had opportunities early on where, instead of using OneDrive and my Microsoft account, I was going to move everything over to my Google Drive, but I got to a place where it would start blinking and flash, and I couldn't pull a document. I couldn't access my G Drive. It was just acting weird. For a while, it would freeze up and it wouldn't do anything.

I haven't had the issue lately. It was a problem which led me to stay with Microsoft. Right now I'm using Microsoft Outlook as my primary platform when I'm sitting at my desktop. It also seems to syncs with Google.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of scaling the solution because I haven't really tried to scale it that much.

I've got an admin person that does a little bit for me, however, I mostly just use the email functionality.

My main thing that I do is sales and marketing. I'm not an IT guy, and I don't want to be an IT guy. If I have to go in and I have to figure it out for myself, then I'm not going to take that time to do it. I'll continue doing what I'm doing, which is to focus on revenue-generating activities. G Suite does not make it easy for a one-person business to go in and figure this stuff out and make it easy.

I do not find their support to be very useful.

They try to send you to a tutorial of some sort and these tutorials are not that intuitive for what I would call a lay person like me. There is no real service where you can get on the phone with an individual to walk you through it. It's pretty much self-discovery.

I don't have time to do that. If I have a problem, I need to solve it now and the way they have their support set up, what should take five minutes takes two hours because it takes an hour and 55 minutes to find what you need and it takes five minutes to fix it.

I went into G Suite, and signed up. I got a little help from my web developer, but I pretty much, I did it myself.

Once you are signed up, the one thing I don't like about Google is if you try to find any information, it is not really laid out that well. I've had some problems and I have spent hours trying to get it fixed. And when I finally find the answer, it's like, well, that wasn't that difficult, but it's really not easy to find stuff on Google. And I find their support to be lacking.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer.

I'm not sure of the version I'm currently using. I just use the business G Suite. I believe it's always the latest version that's available.

The only thing I use in G Suite is Gmail, Drive and the Calendar and that's about it. I'm not really using Google Ads. I do a little bit of YouTube stuff, but I'm fixing to convert that into putting the videos on my website. I just recently also used Google Voice.

In terms of advice to other companies, I'd caution that it's very difficult to use effectively. Users need to really make sure they're going to have to be able to vertically integrate it. If you're using Microsoft Office and Google together, you might want to just consider how to stay within the Microsoft Office platform. If you're going to use Google, you need to consider how you integrate that entirely inside your business.

I would rate the solution five out of ten.

There's a lot of opportunity in Google, however, their biggest two problems are that they don't do a very good job of protecting the privacy of the individual that's using G Suite, and it needs to be more intuitive and easier to implement.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Has easy ways to share information and documents and have online meetings
  • "The features we use quite a lot are the mail and Google Drive. We can store documents and share documents between both employees here, locally in Sweden, and we have an office in the US as well. It's a very easy way to share information and documents, and have online meetings and stuff with Google Meet. We use it quite a lot."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more encryption of documents, mail, and things like that. There should be a better way to encrypt mail and documents that are pushed through this system. That would be some improvement or additional features that could be good to have."

What is most valuable?

The features we use quite a lot are the mail and Google Drive. We can store documents and share documents between both employees here, locally in Sweden, and we have an office in the US as well. It's a very easy way to share information and documents, and have online meetings and stuff with Google Meet. We use it quite a lot.

We have been using this solution for five years.

It has been very stable, actually. I can't remember if we had anything that I actually can blame Google for. It's more our internet connection, we need to have it working for this work of course but no, it has been stable.

We just have around a hundred users. At that scale, it works fine. We haven't had any real problems with scaling. For our size company, it seems to be working well.

We have a couple of IT people here that manage it, but it's just a few hours. It doesn't really take much, it doesn't have many users. Fairly little maintenance is needed.

Support is actually not direct. You can search online for information from Google. We have been able to solve things that way, just finding information online.

The initial setup was straightforward because it's totally web-based. We managed it via the web browser and we don't need any special installation of software stuff locally. It was quite easy to set up and start with.

We deployed it around five years ago, but it took a few days to get the basics. It was fairly straightforward. It took a couple of days and I think we had most of it up. We started using it and then we learn as we go with new features and stuff, but the whole thing was fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

There's always room for improvement but it works fairly well for what we need. The conference systems can always be improved of course, but it works quite well for most of the functions we use. Obviously, it's not perfect. Everything can always be better of course, but we are quite satisfied with it.

There is a cost per user, per month. It depends on how many users they have in the system. It's a decent cost anyway. It feels quite okay for what we get for it.

It's simple and easy to get working and started. You don't really need to locally install stuff, you have the browser and that's it. It's easy to set up and it's fairly flexible. There are a lot of apps in it like Meet or collaboration tools. It works well and we have been using it daily. It seems to be a robust and working system. We are quite happy with it. I would recommend it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. We haven't had any main problems with it. It's more like it could be hard sometimes to find your way through all the settings and using things like that. It's a flexible system, in general it's hassle-free.

In the next release, I would like to see more encryption of documents, mail, and things like that. There should be a better way to encrypt mail and documents that are pushed through this system. That would be some improvement or additional features that could be good to have.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Ability to co-edit and collaborate is a time saver; tool sharing within the one facility is lacking
  • "Ability to co-edit and collaborate on content."
  • "Not all tools are available in the one facility."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is collaboration but we also use it for email and the calendar. We deal with medium and large size companies. We're partners with G Suite and I'm an IT cloud manager.

How has it helped my organization?

G Suite has saved the company a lot of time. There's no longer any need to download files, everything can be edited online.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features of this solution include content co-editing, content collaboration, email searching, and calendar sharing.

What needs improvement?

I would ideally like to see a common space in the product where all the tools are shared within the same facility, something similar to Microsoft Teams, where all solutions are provided in one site. That would be a major improvement and an additional feature that would improve the product.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The stability is good and it permits collaboration, but I think in the last couple of years it hasn't been as good as the Microsoft solution.

This is a super scalable solution. When you grow, it grows with you. We have almost 3,000 users in our company.

I've had good experience with technical support.

We didn't previously use anything else. The migration to G Suite came from the move from on-premises to cloud, from Lotus Notes to G Suite.

The initial setup of this product is very straightforward. Deployment time depends on the number of users because the administration is different if you're implementing for a large company. We have implemented in our own company as well as for our customers. It took three months to have it perfectly fine-tuned for our company including the migration from Lotus Notes. We are integrators so we did it ourselves. We used four people to assist and they now deal with maintenance if it's required. We have IT engineers, two administrators and two other IT engineers and consultants.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend any company carry out a good profiling of the people who are going to be migrated to the solution, and to implement a good change management adoption in order to have everyone on board. If you do this you have satisfied users and they are the ones who are going to rely on the tool and get all the advantages the tool provides.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Google
Director Of Information Technology at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Makes it a whole lot easier to virtually have everybody in one room at the same time
  • "It's certainly easier to meet. We have offices around the world and the ability to have a company meeting on Google Meet platform makes it a whole lot easier to actually have everybody virtually in one room at the same time."
  • "Their tool called Sheets is the counterpart to Excel but it doesn't have the same functionality that Excel would have. So usually if somebody needs to go back to Excel or Office, it's because of Excel."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as our main email system, so everybody is on that email as a platform. We use it for collaboration, using their tools for Google Meet or Google Hangouts. We use it for their tools that are similar to office tools. They have a spreadsheet, they have what you would see in Office, and they have similar tools to that. I'm able to do a Word documentation or editor, and spreadsheets. We use it for meetings, so it is our counterpoint to an office type of thing.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The email and the meeting piece of it for the collaboration tools are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Their tool called Sheets is the counterpart to Excel but it doesn't have the same functionality that Excel would have. So usually if somebody needs to go back to Excel or Office, it's because of Excel.

They should incorporate some of the formulas, the ability to pivot tables. For our finance team, anything that requires higher cap calculation or data analytics isn't as good in Sheets as it is in their counterpart tools.

My company has used G Suite for over four years.

It's stable, lots of people use it. It works well for what we use it for.

We've just signed a contract to use it for the next three years, so we know we're going to use it for that length of time, even as the company continues to grow.

We probably have about 600 users and they vary roles between our executive users, the different departments, HR, finance, sales, marketing, and customer service. We use that same tool in our print facility. So we have fewer technical people that do manufacturing operations on the shop floor.

We plan to increase usage in headcount. I don't know that they offer something that we don't use. They sell add ons or third party products and we use some of them, but it's just continued use as we expand people.

Their technical support is good. When we have a question, they're pretty quick when answering.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's about $8.30 up a user per month. If you want to do archiving, things of that nature, there're additional costs for storage, if you upgrade particular users. So some users may have more storage and there are additional licensing costs for that. It depends on how much more they go beyond normal storage.

What other advice do I have?

If you need basic functionality in a very mobile or dispersed workforce, it works great. When we didn't use Enterprise, it became time-consuming and complicated to manage. Sometimes you step up a tier just to be able to manage it more effectively.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I think it's a good, solid product for basic functionality. It's easy to roll out, it's easy to use in a very distributed workforce until you get to the level where you need very specific things, it's great. Once you get to that, I need some specific functionality like in Excel, it doesn't offer that kind of advanced feature set. So it's the only reason it wouldn't go higher and also because of some of the complications. But it doesn't have an advanced feature set.

Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and reliable with a very useful Hangouts feature
  • "The Hangouts feature is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "The user interface, especially on Google Drive, could be better."

What is most valuable?

The Hangouts feature is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

What needs improvement?

The Google Slides should be able to be available in a "read-only" format, even if they are downloaded. Currently, when you share a slide, it can be edited or even downloaded and edited. We'd prefer it if there was a way to protect them from being tampered with.

The user interface, especially on Google Drive, could be better.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability of the solution is perfect. It's very reliable.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is on Google's public cloud. Currently, the solution is serving its purpose and I don't know if there are any enhancements needed.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

it_user997845 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at Zeste Informatique
Built-in multifactor authentication for single sign-on with precise technical support and documentation
  • "G Suite and all of Google were the first to have a built-in multifactor authentication without needing to purchase another product."
  • "If you use a name with a special character like a slash in the folder, it will crash the migration, with no warning. There is no pre-warning or anything to tell you that if you use characters in a file name that it will crash the migration."

What is our primary use case?

I deployed this for a public administration with two hundred accounts. They were replacing Office 365 with this solution because of the price.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the centralized contacts, labels, the way that you can use Gmail from the web browser directly, and the accessibility from Chrome.

Gmail has been made for Chrome. When you have Chrome, you don't have to add mail software.

There is a feature that people don't use a lot, and that is the multi-factor authentication. MultiPass Fido Security keys were the first to propose this built-in feature, but if you are using Microsoft, for a single sign-on authentication, you have to purchase another product like Okta to get a single sign-on and high-security authentication.

G Suite and all of Google were the first to have a built-in multifactor authentication without needing to purchase another product.

What needs improvement?

Compared to Office 365, you lose many functionalities. For Example, G Suites cannot share contacts between users.

With Office, particularly with Outlook, people are not using labels but folders. They tend to create folders in folders, and this fails the mailbox migration.

When migrating, we were using iMac migration and people were using special characters in their subfolders. If you use a name with a special character like a slash in the folder, it will crash the migration, with no warning.

There is no pre-warning or anything to tell you that if you use characters in a file name that it will crash the migration. There should be some kind of warning, notification, or awareness regarding bad practices.

There should be a check of the account that you have to migrate that tells you if the Unicode Encoding of the subfolders is valid, and that bad names won't work.

To find the webpage information regarding the migration with email servers, you have to search the website documentation to locate it. This information should be on the front page.

When you migrate with Gmail, there is a lot of information with different functions of what we lost and what we will get. Office or iMaps and several other service line products are displayed as part of it. This section is large and should be in the frontline of the documentation.

In the search, whenever you type migration with Gmail or G Suite, it should be on the first page.

In the next release, personal contact sharing should be included. With Google, you can share documentation, presentation links, almost everything, but not contacts.

I have been familiar with this solution for four years.

I am not a user but an administrator of this product.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I contacted technical support regarding the issue that I was having with sub-folders and special characters in file names. They helped resolve the issues. I like the support.

They are precise.

At one time when I had a mail server to migrate, I called Microsoft support and I spent several hours performing tests with the support team. In the end, the technician told me that I was correct, that there was an error in the official Microsoft documentation, and closed the case. My migration had an issue and the only answer that I received from Microsoft was that the documentation had errors.

When you are calling Google support, they have no issues in their documentation. If a function doesn't exist, they just sent you an email with the documentation.

The G Suite documentation is not complex, you don't have issues, but with Microsoft, there are many, an insane amount.

You document all of the migration stages, and there are many ways to do it, so your documentation should reflect that accurately to avoid finding issues when you are halfway through the migration.

I don't have the same issues with Google support and the documentation as I had with Microsoft support and documentation.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the person. For me, it was easy and straightforward because of my experience. I have been using mail servers for almost twenty years.

It is easy for people who have set up mail servers at the start of the internet.

I deployed this solution for two hundred people with the assistance of some program users. There were at least two full days of preparation and two presentation meetings.

After two days of implementation and stopped production, which was done during the weekend, it took one week to fix issues for users.

What other advice do I have?

Many people don't understand that when you are migrating to a company, you don't need to use software for mail, and you don't need to have software to open Gmail. It's the main feature.

For me, this solution and the setup is easy, but for some people who do not have the experience, they see features and don't know what they are used for.

For the Cloud, people are using Active Directory or Outlook, but they should also consider Gmail.

As an administrator, you don't have to manage mail software and local mail storage.

When people are using Office 365 Suites online and they come from Outlook to the online version, they don't like it.

Gmail is made specifically to be used through a web browser. For some people, it's a con, but for me, it's a pro.

In France, many people are using old products and they have to use Microsoft Office, but for new companies, they are using new online modern software. When I meet with some of these companies, I push them toward using G Suite and Gmail.

Microsoft was the top in IT, and they were beaten by Okta with regards to the single sign-on, and Gmail could do a single-sign-on earlier than Microsoft.

I would recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Infrastructure Expert at Independent Consultant
La creación de portales usando sites es muy bueno.

Hola lectores
Mi última experiencia con G Suite fue crear una página web para ofrecer varios servicios tecnológicos utilizando una nueva versión de Google Sites. Las nuevas funciones para insertar páginas, carrusel de imágenes y carpetas de Drive Manager, realmente, para hacer sitios, son muy, muy cómodas. Y más, el diseño, colores, navegación, edición de texto, facilidad, seguridad y otras razones.
Uno de nuestros servicios es sobre control y gestión de normas ISO; agrupado en páginas, donde puede leer y revisar algunos casos sobre ISO 9001, 14001, 27001 y 45001.
Aquí, el enlace para acceder a nuestro portal, y revisar lo expuesto.

www.soluclouderp.com

Fredy AliagaInfrastructure Expert at Independent Consultant

Hi, in this opportunity, i´ll speak about Google Sites, new version.

I have very experience using sites old version, but it required more technical expertise.

New version, has many functions:
- Copy entire web site, importing pages and all characteristics.
- Copy pages.
- Insert several files in page.
- Easy aligment for show several files in one same box.
- Easy web site publication
- Show PDF files, without insert API.
- Indicate initial pestaña to show from a sheet file
- Has a modern look frontend.

I use it, in intranets, for virtual courses and ISO management.

Is an good tool, for create web sites, portals, intranet, e-learning environment, and more.

Best regards.
Fredy

Provides for real-time and secure collaboration with coworkers
  • "G Suite is a powerful suite of tools for messaging and collaboration that has met the fundamental needs of my company, both increasing productivity and reducing costs."
  • "Despite being an excellent platform, I would very much like Google Docs to be more compatible with Microsoft Word."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason I use this platform is to share ideas with my coworkers in a safe way and in real time. G Suite is a platform that unifies what the office requires. Email, calculator, and calendar, among others. It is also easy to implement and its performance is excellent.

How has it helped my organization?

Our experience with this product has been excellent. G Suite is a powerful suite of tools for messaging and collaboration that has met the fundamental needs of my company, both increasing productivity and reducing costs.

What is most valuable?

All the G Suite tools are in the highly secure and highly available Google infrastructure, and no hardware or software is required. The platform requires only minimal administration. In addition, G Suite applications are simple, and you can download browser add-ons for most tasks that are not compatible internally with Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.

Three years approximately.

Technical support for this solution is excellent.

What other advice do I have?

I am completely satisfied with G Suite. It has a powerful set of messaging and collaboration tools comprising a range of applications. The components that I use most are its Slides presentation application, the Sheets spreadsheet editor, the Docs word processor, and the file storage platform, Drive.

Efficiently and securely manages enterprise data

What is our primary use case?

It's an amazing business solution to manage enterprise data efficiently and with ultimate privacy. All of the accounts can be easily managed by the administrator to detect malfunctions within the enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

With the help of G Suite, every process within the business can be easily linked and communicated among the employees.

What is most valuable?

The security and privacy policies of G Suite make it efficient, and the organizational data is secure.

What needs improvement?

It takes a long time to import the data from G Suite into another platform.
Also, the overall price per user is too high.

More than five years.

I did not use a different solution before this.

The price per client within the business is too high.

it_user616638 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at KEF Holdings Limited
The speed and agility of the product are its primary features
  • "The most valuable features are the speed at which G Suite Enterprise works."
  • "I have had issues with my Google Address Book. I have an address book and it is available to everyone, but I cannot add additional users. In Microsoft Outlook, I could easily share certain contacts with other members of my team, but I cannot do so on G Suite."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the speed at which G Suite Enterprise works. I also like the archiving features which is also much faster than in other solutions on the market. In addition, Google Maps has been a valuable asset to share within my department, users in my organization, or in my user groups. All of the above features are easy to use and entirely secure.

What needs improvement?

I have had issues with my Google Address Book. I have an address book and it is available to everyone but I cannot add additional users. In Microsoft Outlook, I could easily share certain contacts with other members of my team but I cannot do so on G Suite. Also, 90% of the world is still using MS Outlook, so more users need to convert to the G Suite side.

It is stable but we have had issues receiving emails from people who use Outlook. Sometimes it connects and sometimes it does not receive all the mail so we will have an incident where users have seen the mail via the browser in their inbox, but when they go into Outlook, it disappears. This has caused some concern for people in my organization. Some employees have lost important emails due to this problem. We opened tickets with Google but they said it is a problem with the fact that an Outlook platform was used. I have a feeling that it is not just my organization that is experiencing this issue.

I find the scalability is really normal. All one has to do is to notify the other partner or integrator if they want to increase the amount of users, and it is complete within a few hours. It is easy and simple.

We have not really used tech support directly. We have a partner that helps us with tech issues.

We previously used Microsoft Exchange and N-Notes.

It was very easy to implement. It took maybe two or three days to deploy.

The pricing is a bit on the higher side than normal. For a basic Google account it costs $100, but Enterprise is $150. Compared to other solutions on the same level, the pricing seems a bit high.

content writing manager at Self-employed
Awesome collaboration features, but the performance speed could be improved when the internet connection is slow
  • "A complete integrated environment for our business. I get Google docs, Gmail, online space, and calendar where I can easily perform all documentation, storage, and communications online."
  • "Google Apps for Business and Skype for Business are the perfect solutions for every business thriving online. It is very easy and inexpensive to get work done with these applications online."
  • "The performance speed could be improved when the internet connection is slow."

What is our primary use case?

Awesome collaboration features. Great group meetings, sharing, and using an integrated environment with office tools.

How has it helped my organization?

All-in-one package for our business needs. A complete integrated environment for our business. I get Google docs, Gmail, online space, and calendar where I can easily perform all documentation, storage, and communications online.

What is most valuable?

Google Apps for Business and Skype for Business are the perfect solutions for every business thriving online. It is very easy and inexpensive to get work done with these applications online.

What needs improvement?

I need more integration features in both Google Apps for Business and Skype for Business. There are certain office productivity features which need to be integrated in them. Also, if possible, some more useful features could be added, and the performance speed could be improved when the internet connection is slow.

Less than one year.

We receive value for the price that we pay.

What other advice do I have?

A great innovation from one of the best tech leaders in the industry.

Lovelli Fuad - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Tester at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
Google Apps for Business: Useful for When Your business is Already Running

What is our primary use case?

The use case is a small business in the process of developing a content strategy for a website. A common user that is me already has a Google account, searched online for Google Apps for Business, and then decided to take advantage of the variety of resources available for the G Suite.

How has it helped my organization?

I have no nonprofit organization, so it has not improved anything. However, the extra space in Drive is a potential improvement in user experience because most of the people in our organization are using either a Dropbox or Drive space.

What is most valuable?

Since my goal was to extend my analysis, I found the additional Drive and Gmail storage to be very valuable. Next is the interroperability with Microsoft Outlook, which is a feature also used with Hotmail. I figured the 24/7 phone and email support was a must, too for a new business/startup.

What needs improvement?

The Outlook integration or plug-in for current outlook clients is a huge area for improvement. Calendar, contact, all that can be synched needs to be managed too.

Less than one year.

No, not really. But it was rather extra work to configure the IMAP or POP on a smartphone.

Customer Service: I would say that the customer service responded. There was a really fast email response and there were links to educational materials in relation to deployment. Technical Support: Prompt and fixed.

No, I did not use a different solution.

The initial setup is complex. It involved browsing, knowledge of IMAP and POP, and the two-step verification was in place, and then I had to consult with the smartphone provider before I access the Google Apps for Business.

I did not implement through a vendor team.

I wanted to see if it would help make better use of my Google+ pages for business. I wanted everything to appear seamlessly, and effortlessly painless.

The average day-to-day cost is a little bit extra storage capacity for the browsing on my smartphone, which I normally don't use for the specific tasks.

I looked at cloud.google.com, and then I also took another look at blog hosting that provides email and website hosting.

What other advice do I have?

I think the on-boarding could be made more efficient, but that doesn't mean more time.

Matt Dale - PeerSpot reviewer
Matt DaleIT Director at a tech services company

Great Article

Consultant at a tech services company
Users can work anywhere with an internet connection
  • "There are several online forums and a lot of support materials online."
  • "Good performance, even on relatively slow connections; no local apps required."
  • "Users can work anywhere with an internet connection."
  • "Reduces IT spend, freeing up cash for other areas: sales, marketing, recruitment, etc."
  • "Some concerns over security, but there are moves to address this and provide admin tools to secure content and adhere to data protection regulations."

What is our primary use case?

Email and suite of productivity tools for business users. It can be a good alternative to MS Office 365. A lots of add-ons available to add full CRM functionality and a variety of tools to help run your business.

How has it helped my organization?

• Fast to set up and easy to use for most users.
  • Mail and drive work well on mobile.
  • Good performance, even on relatively slow connections; no local apps required.
  • Users can work anywhere with an internet connection.
  • Reduces IT spend, freeing up cash for other areas: sales, marketing, recruitment, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Great mail client with fast search and a lot of storage.
  • Drive storage makes it easy to share documents and collaborate with co-workers and others outside the organisation.
  • Google forms are great for questionnaires and surveys.
  • Good integration with Android devices.

More than five years.

G Suite is generally rock solid, but there are inherent risks with any cloud solutions. Internal hardware, networks, and communications are more likely to be points of failure than Google's own infrastructure.

G Suite is mostly used by SMEs, but with Google's infrastructure and new enterprise features, there is no reason why G Suite could not be adopted by the largest companies.

There are several online forums and a lot of support materials online. G Suite administrators on paid-for subscriptions get access to support by telephone, email, or chat.

There can be some complication if migrating from other providers. A lot of online training materials are available and there are many independent vendors and consultancies that can help with it.

Our in-house team is experienced in installing and configuring G Suite in a variety of scenarios. There are many reputable vendors who can provide setup, migration, training, and/or support depending on your requirements.

There are several areas where a G Suite implementation can reduce costs: lower license fees than some competing products, reduced hardware, and IT support costs.

There are also other benefits that can provide a competitive advantage, e.g., improved productivity (with appropriate training), increased collaboration (with correct use of tools), flexible working - work from home or remote locations, easy to scale - fast onboarding of new employees, and ability to add and remove licenses, as required.

G Suite and Microsoft Office 365 offer products with similar functionality at several different price points. Zoho offer a more extensive range of products and attempts to provide all the applications required to run most small and medium-sized businesses.

Careful consideration should be given to the different licensing options and provisions should be made for additional applications that may be required for your particular business. As with all cloud solutions, bandwidth is key and budget should include a provision of sufficient bandwidth to support the required number of users. Traffic management tools may be required for larger setups and should be included in any pricing calculations.

G Suite competes with Microsoft Office 365 and the Zoho suite of applications, which provides solutions for virtually all business activities including Sales, Marketing, HR/Recruiting, Accounts, Project Management, Customer Support, and more. Each has its own strengths and can be great solutions for different types and sizes of businesses.

What other advice do I have?

G Suite can be an excellent solution for many organisations, but there are several factors to consider before implementing any cloud-based solutions. It is best to get expert advice before committing to any particular vendor's product suite. Whatever solution you decide on, make sure you invest in training to get the most from the products. There are no magic bullets, but well trained users will be your best business investment whatever applications you decide to use.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We provide cloud solutions including G Suite, Microsoft Office, and Zoho One.
	 PunitThakkar - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Shivaami Cloud Services Pvt. Ltd.
We can have Common Files shared among users​.

Valuable Features

• Gmail
  • Docs
  • Hangout
  • Calendar

Improvements to My Organization

• Weekly meetings through Hangout across the branches
  • Common Files shared among users

Room for Improvement

It needs better Enterprise controls.

Use of Solution

We've used it for seven years.

Mainly migration issues from IBM Notes.

There were no issues with the stability.

We've had no issues scaling it.

It's good.

It's good.

It's very straightforward.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

ROI

It's justifiable.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The price is attractive as India enjoys a special price.

Other Solutions Considered

There were no other options looked at.

Other Advice

Go for it and use it effectively. Do take change management from Google.

it_user363441 - PeerSpot reviewer
Deployment Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent for Small Business, flexible, powerful, value for money.

Pros:
Work on any device, with same functionality and view. True real-time collaboration. Integrated domain. Perfect for Small Business. Excellent value for money. Deployment simple and straightforward. Support is good, plenty of good forums, KBs, how to videos also.

Cons:
Requires internet connection. Functionality little limited, compared to offline standard competitor apps, but this is getting better.

I considered Office 365, including using trial, but it lacks the flexibility and still requires purchase of local licences. Not as scalable, due to need to change from base plan to whole different plan but without migration path. GApps is totally scalable and flexible.

it_user6579 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user6579Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Good Article, provides valuable knowledge. I agree with Author on certain areas that the apps developed through this platform are platform independent i.e works on various platforms the way its developed. Need good technical knowledge to develop the apps through this platform.

Infrastructure Expert at Independent Consultant
It helps us to design and development our company intranet.

Valuable Features:

• Standard and custom design pages
  • Easy maintenance
  • APIs
  • Videos
  • Other Google services

Improvements to My Organization:

It helps us to design and development our company intranet.

It also allows us to manage technical activities and to develop e-learning applications.

Independent Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
​There is a decent amount of information online about administering Google Apps, but more would be helpful.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy to administer
  • Most users find it easy to use
  • It's free for many non profit organizations

How has it helped my organization?

It was much easier and cheaper for us than most email solutions as we didn’t have to worry about anything except setting up users.

What needs improvement?

People who are used to Outlook hate it but I’m not really sure what should be improved, as that is feedback that I got. I would love to see threading handled in a more “classic” inbox way. As far as I know, that’s everyone's biggest complaint about Gmail, and in most respects, Google Apps for Education email is just like Gmail.

I've used it for over two years.

No issues encountered.

It was extremely reliable.

No issues encountered.

It's non-existent.

Google Apps was the only email solution we used.

It was very simple.

We implemented it in-house.

If we hadn’t had this product, we wouldn’t have had email. I’m sure someone has figured out that email in a business actually has negative ROI, but we’re all going to keep using it anyway.

It was almost zero as we paid nothing for the licenses, and the setup cost was only a few hours of our time.

No we didn't as we were looking for a free and lightweight option, and Google Apps satisfied both.

What other advice do I have?

If switching, practice with one unimportant mailbox first. If you’re starting afresh, just follow the instructions.

it_user177792 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user177792Owner at a tech services company

The standard GMail interface can be a little bit annoying. The newest Google mail solution "Inbox" is very nice and includes the threading capabilities everyone has complaints about.

I believe Google Apps for Business includes SO much more than email though!
You have a whole plethera of Apps to help you and your organizaqtion such as Google Drive, Calendar, Analytics, Adwords, Webmaster Tools, Blogger, and Sites to name only a few!

Also there is a great training program for Google Apps for Business that walks you through setup and deployment. You can also get certified. check out this link:

Thanks!

Jamie Privett
Hi-Tech USA
Hi-TechUSA.com

Lovelli Fuad - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Tester at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
It does the job, and it looks nice on a smartphone.

Google Apps for Business is actually pretty useful. It opens doors to new possibilities and allows you to make immediate decisions related to the needs of your business apps. I have been using Google for a while, and only lately have I begun learning more on how to integrate what I already am working on with the features of Google Drive, Google Public Data Explorer and Google Analytics.

I used it with mobile in 2013 for a few months, and it was really quick to set up. I just had to spend about a month learning the new features and then decided that perhaps I would be better off starting out with the three other apps mentioned above.

it_user4401 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user4401Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Do you know if I can access my Google Apps account from another program? Thank you.

it_user6219 - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO with 51-200 employees
Great for collaboration, but fairly frequent performance problems.

Valuable Features:

Great for collaboration. Google spreadsheets can pull data directly from a big data database, enabling sharing across an enterprise.

Room for Improvement:

Fairly frequent performance problems.
Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Google apps for business provides a complete suite...

Google apps for business provides a complete suite of services for business email, messaging and collaboration. Kudos.

it_user4128 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Widespread familiarity - most employees are familiar with...

Valuable Features:

Widespread familiarity - most employees are familiar with the gmail interface and have used drive in some capacity. Drive facilitates great document collaboration and has revision and version tracking built in. Google Groups is a distribution list on steroids - allowing a converstaion history to be saved within the group and not just individual mailboxes so new teammates can have historical conversation context.

Room for Improvement:

Integration with traditional e-mail clients (outlook) is not there. Huge learning curve and wasted time trying to make calendar sync seamless for end users. Google chat is nice for a quick IM, but not nearly as robust as a Lync or Skype (and thus many people use personal Skype accounts for business conversations, calls and screen shares).
it_user4401 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user4401Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees

The most important advantage of Google Apps for business is that data is safe because of some additional security features. I also like that data has always back-ups on Google servers while I work.

it_user1281 - PeerSpot reviewer
Partner at a tech company with 51-200 employees
IMAP works very well -- Gmail service is dependable and inexpensive.

Valuable Features:

IMAP works very well from all environments. Service is dependable and inexpensive

Room for Improvement:

Gmail interface should be advertisement free. Web interface should also be enhanced to be more user-friendly.
it_user1206 - PeerSpot reviewer
Marketing at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
It's Gmail so you know it's good. And it's free for up to 10 users.

Valuable Features:

The ease of using Gmail for business was the main reason we switched to the service from other web based email. Training a new employee on gmail is unquestionably easier than training someone on many traditional email services. The service is free for small businesses with under 10 people and very economical for every tier above that, that I've researched. There are also discounts for education, & non-profit organizations. Many other services, beyond just Gmail, come with various packages. Basic membership comes with the Calendar and Drive. You have access to video chat, while some other services charge $5/user per month.

Room for Improvement:

Because it's all run by a single source, all of your services will be affected by google server outages. I have had more than a few outages here-or-there, which certainly affected my productivity, but these were resolved within an hour. The free service comes with 25GB of storage, which is a lot for some, but certainly designers who E-mail large files might use up the space quickly.

Other Advice:

Overall, gmail is the best form of email out there. I've noticed that most new employees either have their own personal gmail account and need almost no training, or become converts and quickly sign up for their own Gmail account shortly after using the service at work.
it_user999 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Development at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Gmail for Business is a better replacement of Exchange server and is highly affordable.

Valuable Features:

- Gmail for business is extremely scalable and affordable. - The 'Groups' option works beautifully for having one email that is delivered to multiple users. - Integrates very easily into Outlook and mobile devices and having access to anytime, you have internet via their online option which is convenient.

Room for Improvement:

- I sometimes am logged out randomly from my account and it's a pain to have to log in again. - I've had some issues with email messages loading too slowly, but it is typically resolved after a refresh.

Other Advice:

We switched our company from an Intermedia Exchange server to Gmail for Business and I am extremely happy with the results. My team adopted it very quickly, as most of them have used Gmail for personal use. I would highly recommend it to all companies.
it_user6579 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user6579Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

Yes agree with author, that the system is quite affordable and provide true value for money for business. The most users are aware of the interface as the system is used widely.

Download our free Google Workspace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022