IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is #6 ranked solution in top Firewall Security Management tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiGate Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiManager: Fortinet FortiGate Cloud vs Fortinet FortiManager. Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Fortinet FortiGate Cloud?

FortiCloud can help with your wireless and security challenges in a number of ways. Our solution addresses common IT difficulties including time-consuming provisioning, high investment costs, complex management, vulnerability to advanced threats, and the need to easily scale with growth.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud was previously known as FortiCloud, FortiGate Cloud .

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Video

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate Cloud pricing:
  • "The costs are reasonable."
  • "We have a yearly license because we have a huge environment, so we need to upgrade regularly. We do it annually because quarterly updates would overwhelm the staff. Cisco was doing it at half-year intervals."
  • "The pricing is competitive."
  • "The price of the product is approximately 10,000 Qatar Riyal ($2,750 USD), and another 10,000 Qatar Riyal for a three-year license."
  • "Fortinet has a good price, and I would give it a four out of five. There are no additional fees."
  • "Unlike other firewalls, the cost of Fortinet FortiGate is low, and the functionality is nearly identical, which is why we chose it."
  • "The price of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is affordable. However, lowering the price would be good for the end-users. The cost of the solution was approximately $800 per year. There are some additional features you can add in addition to the regular features."
  • Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Reviews

Sr. Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Robust product that is easy to deploy and easy to manage
    • "The solution is scalable because they have models that allow it to be right sized."
    • "They're still trying to digest that Meru acquisition and need a plan."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases for the solution are as point products for remote sites coming back to a central hub where the gateways control the flow back into the outward sites, kind of a spoke and hub thing. There are multiple sites that are large enough to support small offshoots, and then it comes back. So you might think of it as four or five small data centers coming into two or three big data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

An example of how the solution has improved the organization for my client was when they had a mixed environment previously where they had Cisco and COBOL; it was ancient. What they were able to do is standardize for our product, which made their teams more efficient. When you're leveraging a fairly small backend support system, having the ability to have a robust, remote management capability and update capability, and the ability to spare and put another one in pretty quickly, those things are really important and to standardize on it. So that's what they've done. They use the old Meru wireless access points, which plug into Fortinet up until just recently.

What is most valuable?

It's a pretty robust product. Features we've found most valuable are that it's easy to manage with the management interface, it's really simple and quick. When you've got a lot of them deployed, it's a big deal. The user experience is pretty good. The efficiency and the workflow type of arrangements you can set up where you can monitor and manage remotely, and then push out updates and that kind of thing, is a big deal to my clients. Most of them are self-managed, meaning that we don't manage the solution for them. They've got their own reasons for liking it, but when I talk to them, those are the two big ones. They're easy to manage, they're easy to deploy, they rarely break.

What needs improvement?

The area of the solution that needs the most improvement, the biggest problem, is they're still trying to digest that Meru acquisition. They're starting to sundown products that have been, at least in my clients, have been pretty established. It's causing some disconnect between where their business is going, and how that vision is being imparted to the people. And there's really no plan for replacement other than rip and replace. They could improve by going to either the resellers or the client, and say, "Hey, these things have to go away because they're not going to be part of our future plans. This is how we're going to help you do it." Then show them how to do it.
    Fortinet FortiGate Cloud
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with the solution for fifteen years.

The solution is very stable. Other than changes being driven by the acquisition, very stable.

The solution is scalable because they have models that they do to allow it to be right-sized. They've got plenty of models, and the really, really big arm has capabilities up to 400GB, I think. It certainly could handle any client that you see, from small to enterprise. I have clients that range from 50 users up to 16,000 on this product.

The technical support has been pretty good. Considering COVID and all the dispersal of support resources; I deal with that with all of my partners. They're probably in the top 10%. They've kept it pretty consistent.

The initial setup is largely simple. The time it takes depends on the size of the site. The way we standardized the process for ordering is that we order the same things for every site. Same thing for every size site, and I think we have four that we typically use plus the big hospitals. Basically, there are five levels, and we order the level that's appropriate. We order any wireless that's appropriate, and then we have a standardized set up for that, for the three wireless types of service that serve our clients. Then, because they have one that's dedicated, one that's dedicated but not managed, and then one that's dirty and everybody can get onto it, because they're a hospital, and they need access. The management for the actual individual firewalls is set, and we basically copy that into each one, as we take it out. So it has a consistent setup at every single site.

For the deployment to our large clients, there are usually at least a half dozen people that do this. When you've got 16,000, you've got probably a hundred, I think there are 167 sites. So you've got to have a team of a half dozen and up. And then, in the smaller and medium clients, one person can manage this.

With regards to return on investment, the qualitative assessment goes back to all of them have noticed that they're more efficient, and they are able to maintain their network security posture more easily and at a lower cost. Now, internally, those are sunk costs when you've got a team of five or six people that are doing everything across a network, or a staff of a hundred, whatever it is. What it does is it frees them up to do something else. So there may not be an ROI that they specifically calculated for Fortinet, but what they do is they sit down and go, "Hey, since we've deployed these because they're so easy to manage, I have time to do something else."

When it comes to licensing, everybody's trying to drive that recurring monthly revenue number, and we're seeing it. The costs are reasonable, and that's the real thing that most customers are looking at. Am I getting value for that dollar; not what the dollar is, but am I getting good value for it?

When considering a solution, clients look at the usual suspects. Cisco is probably the number one, although WatchGuard in this space is very, very popular. And so is Sophos in the small to medium, because they also have gone to an integrated approach for endpoint and firewall management. So there are some similarities there, but clients have chosen FortiGate Fortinet for the reason that they're comfortable mainly with the interface. It's easier than the other ones.

What other advice do I have?

The solution has started to move into things like security cameras, having an all-in-one point of security contact; they've got cameras and SD-WAN and next-generation firewalls. And they've got a large portfolio now, so we're seeing more people, especially in the small and medium-size move to something like this. In the bigger clients, what we see them doing is looking at mainly having the add-on of being able to manage the wireless through the same point of management. My advice to customers considering FortiGate is to look at the breadth of the offering rather than a specific product. The breadth of the offering, meaning that you can do switching, you can do wireless, you can do the security cameras, you can do SD-WAN, you can do 5G. You can do it on-prem, you can do it in the cloud. There are lots of different options here that give you the flexibility to deliver a security posture you feel comfortable with across on-prem and cloud-based management. There's some AI in it now that's starting to give you some real meaningful data points on security, which are nice to have. I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Prasad Bavkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Head at MICROLOGIC NETWORKS PRIVATE LIMITED
    Provides great intel, and is easy to manage, but SSL visibility could be better
    • "The intel we get from Fortinet is its most valuable aspect."
    • "The SSL visibility could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The FortiCloud is being used as a security fabric. It provides insights into the overall activity at the locations which we have deployed. We are in around 30 to 40 locations which we manage over a cloud. Managing is very simple via Fortinet, which really is a value-add to our technology - at least, the infrastructure portion, the management part.

How has it helped my organization?

If you compare the manageability part with Palo Alto, the access via the GUI is very fast in Fortinet, as compared to Palo Alto. In Palo Alto, when saving any configuration, it takes two to three minutes of time while committing the configuration. In Fortinet, it is just a click and it just gets saved.

What is most valuable?

The intel we get from Fortinet is its most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution could add load balancing and QS features at an application level. In Fortinet, they don't have application-level visibility as we have in Palo Alto. That is something Fortinet can improve on, the application-level visibility.

The SSL visibility could be better. The content which is encrypted, if they can add an encryption engine, which can check the traffic of SCTPS and do the analysis and the threat filtering, or the URL filtering, in the content, that would be ideal. That way, we don't have to purchase another separate product, like Content Peeper, or other products that do dedicated SSL filtering.

I'd like application-side reporting, for example, who are the top 10 users, what users are using what.

In terms of the complexity, if they integrate and give the track-to reporting to management, that will be a great feature for a future release.

The scalability depends on the sizing. You need to ask: who is the system engineer who is sizing for the customer? For example, if you are the customer and you have a 50 user setup, and the system engineer is proposing a 30E, that may not be a good or an ideal model for 50 users. A 40F would likely be better, as, when we enable UTM, it will enable all the functionality and all the engines will get started, and it will get used. The CPU processing will get distributed among all the services, and then performance may be spread across as well. That's why, while doing the sizing, I would suggest that any system engineer sizes a little bit on the higher side so that, even if the user count goes up, or if the customer plans for scaling, then that won't be a challenge for near future.

For us, the majority of the customers are on Fortinet. A majority of the other customers are on Sophos, and a few customers are on Palo Alto. Most of the enterprise customers are on Palo Alto. Most of the SMB customers are on Fortinet.

The support is quite good. It depends upon the scope. If it's something implementation-based, they won't entertain you. However, if the issue is critical, then they will definitely help. Support is good. Fortinet has good support for India. I have no complaints.

We're also familiar with Palo Alto and Check Point. It's easier to manage or configure, as compared to Palo Alto or Check Point.

The deployment depends upon the requirements. Generally, if there is a standalone infrastructure, and someone wants to configure Fortinet, then it shouldn't take more than one day. However, if you have multi-locations, there might be multiple dependencies or local issues and other stuff, and the configurations may be different. There may be some pools that need to get access from this to that. That might take a few more days. That said, from an implementation aspect, Fortinet implementation is much easier as compared to Palo Alto.

How many people you need for maintenance depends on the nature of the business. For example, in banking, you need 24/7 uptime. You need at least one engineer in a shift to manage the Fortinet devices. Otherwise, two engineers are enough - one for deployment, and the same person can also manage the firewall. Therefore, one to two engineers are more than enough to manage firewalls, Fortinet, the traffic, and to do whitelisting, blacklisting, et cetera. They can do the troubleshooting part and open the ports according to the application requirements.

It is better to have a partner who knows the best practices in order to deploy everything properly. You need someone who can do the staging part, who can do the configuration part, who understands the basic things as well as be able to handle more difficult use cases. It is better to take a help of a partner or integrator.

I've definitely seen an ROI.

In terms of pricing, if it is a cloud subscription, then I prefer to go with the yearly subscription - if you don't have to scale much. However, when you're planning for on-prem devices, then you should go for a three-year license.

There's extra pricing for the UTM and the hardware cost. For a UTM license, they charge an extra fee.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud
    July 2022
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IgnitiusMolepo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior IP Network Defense at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The hub-and-spoke setup is useful because I can manage security from where I am, while the IT engineers in branch offices can handle it on their end.
    • "FortiGate Cloud has many features that we like. For example, we're using it for security incident management, threat intelligence, and vulnerabilities check. It's integrated with several Fortinet tools like FortiAnalyzer and FortiSandbox controlled through FortiManager."
    • "When we're upgrading, it's sometimes quite challenging, especially firmware. We usually don't upgrade unless we have a bug, and we still feel it's not safe to react instead of being proactive. We often have some delays when updating FortiGuard, too."

What is our primary use case?

FortiGate Cloud is used for web application firewall, DDoS protection, intrusion prevention, and indicator of compromise in conjunction with the FortiAnalyzer. There are much more functions, including an IP firewall.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate Cloud has many features that we like. For example, we're using it for security incident management, threat intelligence, and vulnerabilities check. It's integrated with several Fortinet tools like FortiAnalyzer and FortiSandbox controlled through FortiManager.

We also find Fortinet's hub-and-spoke setup useful because I can manage security from where I am, while the IT engineers in branch offices can handle it on their end.

What needs improvement?

When we're upgrading, it's sometimes quite challenging, especially firmware. We usually don't upgrade unless we have a bug, and we still feel it's not safe to react instead of being proactive. We often have some delays when updating FortiGuard, too. Nevertheless, I believe that it's okay most of the time with proper management.

We also run into some problems using FortiGate as a UTM solution. I feel like maybe they're not giving me a full view of the other components that they have in that box. Their box has some DDoS defense, but I need complete DDoS protection. I must not have light DDoS protection on other UTM boxes because if I'm uncertain about the security posture, it will compromise me. We like having everything in one box because running multiple boxes eats up more resources on the computing level. We need a total solution, not half-half.

I've been using FortiGate Cloud for two years.

FortiGate is highly stable. It's one of the most powerful tools I've ever used. For example, it quickly synchronizes with our ATP. No security will ever be 100 percent, but I can say that we have a baseline when using FortiGate. You have at least 80 percent of the security you need.

FortiGate is scalable and robust. I'm working at a huge company. So I'm able to take over the traffic from all over Africa. We have around 45,000 users, including about 20,000 in South Africa, where I'm based. We also have users in Cameroon, Ghana, and Nigeria.

Fortinet support has capable engineers who will be patient with you. If you want to learn something, they will explain it to you and refer you to links where you can read more on your own after they have solved the problem.

Maybe the service is good because we pay for managed security services. I've never had an issue with them. I rate Fortinet support 9 out of 10 because nothing is 100 percent.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I worked with Cisco firewalls in the past. All of them are powerful, but I prefer Fortinet because it's more user-friendly. Cisco is quite challenging and requires more skills, practice, and study.

On the other hand, I like that Cisco is a managed service, and their services are quite good. They're willing to go the extra mile, but I can say that FortiGate's support is even better than Cisco's.

FortiGate is straightforward to implement and configure. It doesn't require any special qualifications. You just need to practice it a bit, but it's not hard to understand. You can use a GUI or a command line if you prefer that. The command line isn't user-friendly, but the GUI is excellent. I would give the GUI a perfect 10, but I would only rate the command line interface six out of 10.

The solution does require some staff to deploy and maintain, but it's not that many. African countries don't have a lot of people with cybersecurity skills, so it's challenging when we get an issue from that side. That's why we end up deploying a mobile hub strategy. We are supplying the skills that they may not have the branch offices. Four people are enough to manage the whole empire.

We have a yearly license because we have a huge environment, so we need to upgrade regularly. We do it annually because quarterly updates would overwhelm the staff. Cisco was doing it at half-year intervals.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate Cloud eight out of 10. FortiGate is a good solution. It's powerful and has almost everything you need from a security perspective. The issue with Cisco FirePOWER is that you must buy the FirePOWER box. When you need DDoS, you have to buy a separate box. With Fortinet, everything is in one box. You just buy the license and let it run.

Assistant General Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Available hardware and responsive service, but there should be a move towards hardware agnostic appliances
    • "We like the availability of the hardware and the service that we get from FortiGate, as well as the kind of reach that they have as a part of their sales folks."
    • "Things are moving increasingly towards hardware agnostic appliances, an area in which I would like Fortinet to be more focused and fast moving with that product line."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are twofold, being to secure our own company network and to create an offering for our end customers.

What is most valuable?

We like the availability of the hardware and the service that we get from FortiGate, as well as the kind of reach that they have as a part of their sales folks. We are also pleased with their responsiveness. These are the parameters by which we rate our partners.

What needs improvement?

The world is moving towards everything being software defined. This is an issue which should be addressed. Things are also moving increasingly towards hardware agnostic appliances, an area in which I would like Fortinet to be more focused and fast moving with that product line.

I will leave it to the OEM to decide which additional features should be included, because everything is available to them, in as much as the way the market is moving and the types of features the competition is offering. The Fortinet people are in a better position than I to determine which features they want to bring in the lower end modules available from their product portfolio.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate Cloud for around a year-and-a-half.

So far, we have not faced any challenges with the stability and are pretty happy with the device's performance. It accomplishes many things and is working very well.

While it is difficult for me to address the scalability, this may become an issue in light of the trend for things to move towards being software defined. I have no doubt this will require work to mitigate this issue. From the perspective of scalability, the throughput number of concurrent users are already redefined. Because of the obvious challenges, it would not be possible for us to scale up with the same underlying hardware. However, there are multiple models which exist in the hierarchy. There may be a need to first upgrade when those requirements will need to be filtered.

The limitation is on the hardware, which will eventually have to go once installation becomes completely virtual.

I do not have any issues with technical support. So far, everything has been up to snuff.

Our use of the solution was a greenfield project for us.

When it comes to the initial setup, I have found Fortinet products to be quite easy.

Deployment is easy. The endpoints are modular and the installation pretty straightforward. Most devices come with a graphical user interface. It is GUI and is pretty easy to configure and deploy.

The pricing is competitive. I am satisfied with it and consider it reasonable.

While I prefer not to provide names, we did evaluate Fortinet with a couple of other OEMs. Technically, they were also on par with the kind of services offered by Fortinet. For us, key considerations centered on the responsiveness, the cost strain and the availability of the infrastructure that was provided.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to someone who is looking for a faster, more responsive, cost competitive and agile delivery for the equipment. In this geography hierarchy, the sales team is pretty much geared up to support you.

The priorities can vary from one organization to the next. Based on those that we set for ourselves, we felt our needs to be met and this is why we chose to go with the solution.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate Cloud as a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Jintu Skariah - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at DOha Golf Club
    Helpful support, good sandboxing features, easy to manage
    • "This product is easy to manage and easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for cyber security. It is our perimeter firewall.

What is most valuable?

This product is easy to manage and easy to use. It has a simple GUI.

What needs improvement?

If the SD-WAN technology were included free of cost then it would be more suitable for many users, including us.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate Cloud for three years.

Stability-wise, this service is the best.

As a perimeter firewall, all of the people connected to the network are going through it. I am not sure of the exact number but it is more than 1,000 people per day. At this point, we have no plan to increase our usage. In the future, if there is an upgraded version, it is something that we will think about. We are innovative and we need to stay up to date, according to the market.

For administration, only myself and one of my colleagues have access to it. Only one or two engineers are needed for maintenance.

We use the on-premises FortiGate Firewall solution in addition to FortiCloud.

We have pfSense available in the company but we have not run it since implementing FortiGate. It is available as a backup in case our FortiGate fails but this has not happened so we haven't used it.

I do not have any hands-on experience with other similar products.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Our implementation strategy was to get the world's best cybersecurity, perimeter firewall. We searched the internet to find this and we selected FortiGate. It took a maximum of one month for the implementation. It was not very challenging.

We implemented this product in-house.

This is not a product that we've seen ROI with because all hardware of this type, as well as software, has end-of-life. It's the maximum age of the product. We try to use it up until that point and then upgrade it.

The price of the product is approximately 10,000 Qatar Riyal ($2,750 USD), and another 10,000 Qatar Riyal for a three-year license. There are no additional costs, other than these.

I have evaluated other solutions such as SonicWall and pfSense. FortiGate is far better than these solutions. The biggest difference is the ease of use.

It is quite easy to use and manage FortiGate Cloud compared to pfSense.  For example, the other systems were a little more complicated and you need to be more technical to use them. With FortiGate, their GUI made it simple to use. Any normal user can use and access it.

In terms of cybersecurity protection, the sandbox features in FortiGate are very good when compared to the other two.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into FortiGate Cloud is that if they're looking for the best security at a minimum price then this is a product that I recommend. It is the best firewall in the world. There are others that are good but also quite expensive. If you're in small or medium enterprise business, you should implement FortiGate.

Overall, I am very happy using this product. The vendor is doing a very good job. It is a top-listed product and there is nobody that can beat FortiGate.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
      Senior Solutions Architect Security at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Is easy to deploy and has many security features in the same appliance
      • "The security features, for example, URL filtering, AMP, and advanced threat protection, are very valuable."
      • "The capacity to execute the solution needs to be improved. I would like to see management and analytics included in the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to respond to our SD-WAN requirements and to protect different links that access the resources. For example, if the user needs access to an application, then we use SD-WAN for access to the internet or to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

I also like that Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is cheaper than other solutions, such as Cisco.

What needs improvement?

The capacity to execute the solution needs to be improved.

I would like to see management and analytics included in the solution.

I've been using it for four years. It's on-premises and is integrated to the cloud.

It's very stable; it's a decent solution.

The scalability is not good because there have been many barriers to scaling. It's possible that our current model won't support future increases in the load and traffic.

We currently have 3000 users including IT and network engineers.

Technical support has got better, and I would give them a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's easy to set up the solution, and I would give it five out of five. In general, it takes about one to two months, and in our case, it took two months.

Our deployment plan was to optimize the connection, and we did it in-house. For deployment and maintenance, we are a part of a team of five engineers.

Fortinet has a good price, and I would give it a four out of five. There are no additional fees.

We evaluated Cisco and Palo Alto before going with Fortinet FortiGate Cloud.

Cisco is good in terms of networking and SD-WAN, but it's not good with regard to security. Last year, Cisco was not in Gartner's Quadrant for security, but Fortinet and Palo Alto were leaders.

Palo Alto is very good and very strong in SD-WAN and in security, but the cost is prohibitive in some locations.

Fortinet has a good price.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with Fortinet FortiGate Cloud has been good. It's easy to deploy, and it has a lot of information on the web to configure it.

I would rate the solution at eight on a scale from one to ten because of the ease of deployment, the many security features in the same appliance, and the fact that there are no additional costs for protection at base level to enterprise level. It's a good solution to begin perimeter protection.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
      Richard Torrenueva - PeerSpot reviewer
      IT Operations Manager at GanV Business Support Services
      User-friendly, reasonably priced, and helpful technical support
      • "Everything is valuable, especially the SD-WAN tunneling, filtering of email, application, and browsing. Everything has value."
      • "It is currently durable, but they may be able to improve it further. They can adapt Cisco technology because of its durability."

What is our primary use case?

SD-WAN tunneling is the primary function of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud. It is also used for filtering or browsing, as well as application filtering and blocking of all unwanted applications, viruses, and malware, which is the main goal.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN tunneling is the most valuable. Everything is valuable, especially the SD-WAN tunneling, filtering of email, application, and browsing. Everything has value.

This Fortinet equipment meets our requirements. They offer what we wanted.

What needs improvement?

The most recent version of others is not yet complete. For the time being, we are content because it is a significant help to us. Durability is something that can be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate Cloud for seven years.

We are working with versions 100D and 60E.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is reliable. It's been seven years, and everything has been good.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is a scalable solution.

It is being used extensively. It is running 24/7.

We intend to implement and upgrade another model in order to meet a new requirement.

Technical support is very helpful. Support is not a problem because Fortinet is user-friendly to manage, even my technical team can handle it.

On our end, setting up Fortinet FortiGate was easy. It was not complex.

You can deploy the firewall in an hour without difficult requirements. You can set up the firewall in an hour. It's plug-and-play, ready to use.

We collaborated with a vendor in the first deployment, but we handled the subsequent deployment ourselves. Even though we dealt with the first deployment, we contracted for support just in case, but for the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth deployments we did not require vendors.

The cost of equipment and its renewal is valuable. Unlike other firewalls, the cost of Fortinet FortiGate is low, and the functionality is nearly identical, which is why we chose it.

Then there's the cost, which we compared to Palo Alto, Cisco equipment, and others, and we were impressed with the cost, the cost of the renewal, and the cost of the equipment.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based. Trend Micro Incorporated is the service provider.

If you are looking for a low-cost security appliance with web filtering, application filtering, and SD-WAN tunneling, I would recommend Fortinet FortiGate Cloud. It's not expensive, and it meets the most basic requirements.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate Cloud a nine out of ten.

Other
      Marwan Wehbeh - PeerSpot reviewer
      System Administrator at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
      Highly secure, useful daily reports, and feature rich
      • "We have found the most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud are the firewall and the VPN connection manager. I am not worried about any cyber attacks, the solution is secure and I receive daily summary reports."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiGate Cloud mainly for a file server at the office, and we have some services that transfer some applications remotely. We are using the firewall to secure the connection to our offices, for the internet connection, and for the applications using the VPN connections.

What is most valuable?

We have found the most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud are the firewall and the VPN connection manager. I am not worried about any cyber attacks, the solution is secure and I receive daily summary reports.

I have used Fortinet FortiGate Cloud within the last 12 months.

The solution has been highly reliable.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is scalable.

I rate the scalability of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud a five out of five.

We were using the solution more but since the Coronavirus and other political circumstances in Lebanon, we have downsized the company. We had approximately 25 users using the solution but it has been reduced to only three users.

I have stopped the support contract because I never used it for five years. I never faced any issue that requires support.  Any issues I had it was easy to handle myself. The solution is very reliable.

When I started my job at the company, they had a Juniper firewall, but it was out of warranty and out of contract. While researching, I found the Fortinet FortiGate Cloud, and I read some good reviews about it which were good and this is why I selected it.

For a system administrator, the initial setup is straightforward. I didn't face any issue configuring it. It was so easy. There are videos and tutorials, which helps a lot.

It took one hour for the installation at the cabinet and the wiring, approximately five hours for the full configuration for the VPN tunneling, and subnetting the IP.

I did the implementation and maintenance myself.

The price of Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is affordable. However, lowering the price would be good for the end-users. The cost of the solution was approximately $800 per year. There are some additional features you can add in addition to the regular features.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to purchase this solution because it's reliable and it's worth every dollar.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate Cloud a nine out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
        Updated: July 2022