IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiSIEM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiSIEM is #8 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiSIEM an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Fortinet FortiSIEM is most commonly compared to Splunk: Fortinet FortiSIEM vs Splunk. Fortinet FortiSIEM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
Fortinet FortiSIEM Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiSIEM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Fortinet FortiSIEM?

FortiSIEM (formerly AccelOps 4) provides an actionable security intelligence platform to monitor security, performance and compliance through a single pane of glass.

Companies around the world use FortiSIEM for the following use cases:

• Threat management and intelligence that provide situational awareness and anomaly detection
  • Alleviating compliance mandate concerns for PCI, HIPAA and SOX
  • Managing “alert overload”
  • Handling the “too many tools” reporting issue
  • Addressing the MSPs/MSSPs pain of meeting service level agreements

Fortinet FortiSIEM was previously known as FortiSIEM, AccelOps.

Fortinet FortiSIEM Customers

FortiSIEM has hundreds of customers worldwide in markets including managed services, technology, financial services, healthcare, and government. Customers include Aruba Networks, Compushare, Port of San Diego, Cleveland Indians, Infoblox, Healthways, and Referentia.

Fortinet FortiSIEM Video

Fortinet FortiSIEM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiSIEM pricing:
  • "Its price can be better. We are Fortinet partners, so we can get discounts, but its price can be an issue at the beginning for others. There is a licensing scheme for every case. There are three licensing schemes that we can choose from."
  • "The price of Fortinet FortiSIEM was reasonable compared to other solutions."
  • "The price of Fortinet FortiSIEM is a lot less when compared to other solutions."
  • Fortinet FortiSIEM Reviews

Sami Isoaho - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Cloud Architect at Viria Security Oy
    Very easy alert setup; a good tool for analysis and for SOC
    • "Easy alert setup which enables different alerts in different categories."
    • "Not very good on non-API features, lacks that functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiSIEM for storage of security information and analysis, as well as for alerts from the 50-60 services that we have. All of our webs are linked to FortiSIEM. It's a form of SOC tool and data is used for identifying trends and what's happening around the networks. We're customers and end-to-end users when it comes to FortiSIEM, but for other Fortinet products we're either partners or a value-added reseller. I'm the principal cloud architect in our company.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature is the easy alert setup, it's very important. It's quite simple to use and enables us to have different alerts in different categories. SOC is able to see all the red alerts, it's impossible to miss them. It's a good tool for analysis and for SOC. We upload all network detection tools that support FortiSIEM and can investigate for different alerts or vulnerabilities. A great feature is that you can use Python scripting for data stack. It's great for devices that don't generate a genuine local source of information.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not very good on non-API features and lacks that functionality. We've raised multiple tickets to Fortinet about this and they are pending there. The product development hasn't been fast enough to ensure it can function on the cloud. It's excellent when you download and get the security locks but in areas like Microsoft 365, you have to fetch the security access using APIs and they don't update quickly enough. If Microsoft announces a new service today, we have to wait at least six months before FortiSIEM start supporting it. It's crucial that the API support is updated, for now FortiSIEM lacks functionality compared to its competitors.

Fortinet FortiSIEM
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiSIEM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a very reliable solution, we haven't had any outages during the last year and we're using it a lot. We have over 40 people using it 24/7.

This solution is not very scalable if you have a lot of security events; it's focused more around smaller companies. We've become too big for it with 48,000 devices which we are monitoring and we had to create another instance and split things. It's not perfect because it requires purchase of a second license. We use the solution all the time.

Fortinet support is very fast. If I need to ask something, I'll get a response within a couple of hours.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. They have good documentation and once we deployed, there were only a couple of times where we needed a little bit of support because there were delayed reactions.

The licensing is on an annual basis and calculated on the set up number. Of course, the licensing cost could be less but it's not too bad and is quite nicely priced. With Centreon or Splunk you just pay for the use but if we compare the cost of FortiSIEM with Splunk, it's less than half the price.

We took a look at IBM QRadar, which was the main competitor, and we also looked at Splunk. Splunk lost out quickly because of the cost and we ended up going with Fortinet because it was much easier to manage and implement things than QRadar and it has the Python scripting.

What other advice do I have?

If your use case suits this solution, I would recommend it. If you are a professional operator and you're into pre-investing, and not just paying per use, then FortiSIEM is one of the best options you can have.

I rate this product an eight out of 10.

MarioBrito - PeerSpot reviewer
    Pre-Sales Cybersecurity Solutions at ECSSA El Salvador
    Reseller
    Allows us to combine SOC and NOC operations and has good reports, integrations, and support
    • "One of the most valuable features is that we can combine SOC and NOC operations in the same tool. We can provide NOC and SOC services in the same tool for two separate teams. There are plenty of third-party solutions that integrate with FortiSIEM. All these solutions already have a ready integration, and we have the possibility to create a custom connector for these solutions. Its reports are also very good."
    • "Its training can be improved. Its price also needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are an enterprise that resells services. We are like a small MSSP for Salvador and Central America region. We provide services to other enterprises.

Our clients have multiple use cases. Its most common use case to detect logging events from different IP addresses or locations. It is used to detect simultaneous logins by the same user from different IP addresses or locations, such as from different countries. It is also used to detect any attempts to log in to a server with root privilege and trying remote access with root privileges.

How has it helped my organization?

With the help of FortiSIEM we have improved the cybersecurity posture of our clients and ours. Through the early detection of threats, it allows to follow up on each security incident. It is easy to communicate to asset managers about related security events, reducing remediation time.

What is most valuable?

There are plenty of third-party solutions that integrate with FortiSIEM. All these solutions already have a ready integration, and we have the possibility to create a custom connector for these solutions. Its reports are also very good.

What needs improvement?

Its training can be improved. Its price also needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It has been good so far. We don't have any complaints about the tool.

It is very scalable. It is easy to grow with this tool. We are going step-by-step, and we are doing good so far.

Our clients are big enterprises, such as banks, and we also have small businesses. In Salvador, as per a local compliance requirement, every business or enterprise needs to have a SIEM solution. We have an installation for 1,000 users.

We are Fortinet's partner here in Salvador, and the tech support is really good. Their response time is also really good. We are very happy with this solution.

The implementation process is kind of easy. We start in a small way. The challenge for us is the storage. We need to find a way to have storage redundancy so that if the main site fails, we have a copy of the data on a remote site. This is the challenge that we are facing right now.

For its deployment and maintenance, we have a very small group of five people. We have a networking guy, a server guy, and a few analysts to maintain this platform.

There is a licensing scheme for every case. There are three licensing schemes that we can choose from.

Our clients also evaluate other solutions such as Rapid7, McAfee, and LogRhythm. We have always been a Fortinet enterprise. We have people with Fortinet and other certifications in the industry, such as EasyConsole certifications. We can also support this solution for the Fortinet sites. That is the main differentiator between us and other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to start small and plan for future growth.

I would rate Fortinet FortiSIEM an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Fortinet FortiSIEM
    August 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Partner at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Good network monitoring with excellent scalability and good stability
    • "The stability is very reliable. It offers very good performance."
    • "The policy editing should be easier. Right now, it's too hard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network and security monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Most of those CM functions and the correlation alerts are very helpful to our clients.

The network monitoring is one of the most valuable aspects of the solution.

You can scale the solution with ease if you need to expand.

The stability is very reliable. It offers very good performance.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is complex. They need to make it easier in terms of implementation. That said, all CM implementations are quite difficult. It may not be a fault of this particular product.

The policy editing should be easier. Right now, it's too hard.

Some of the parts of the mapping tool should be in the product itself. It would make our efforts easier.

The product is quite expensive. It's something clients always comment on.

We have been using the solution for many years - including before Fortinet acquired the original organization.

The solution is quite stable. We find it very reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs and glitches.

The scalability of the solution is excellent. It's one of the main reasons we chose to go with this option. If a company needs to expand, it can do so easily. There aren't constraints.

We have about five to ten customers on the solution currently.

I'm not using the vendor's technical support. Mostly we have our own in-house resources. I cannot tell if are they good or bad. I have never dealt directly with them. Therefore, it would be difficult to review their services.

In terms of the initial setup, the process is not straightforward. It's complex and difficult. Making it easier would help a lot.

All CM installations and implementations are complicated. You have to tailor the product. It's not really something you can just implement out-of-the-box.

That said, a basic installation is simple. It takes a few days. After you've done the implementation stage, then it takes time. Of course, it depends on the projects. I cannot say how much time it's taken exactly. I just know it takes quite a while.

For deployment, we use two people in a project. One of them is for the beginning of the project - for the implementation and the installation process. The other is the administration which we are generally pas off to our customers. I tend to handle the daily operations.

All of our customers find the solution expensive. It's not a cheap option.

I don't know the exact cost of the solution as I don't directly handle the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are actually a reseller service company and we are dealing with the solutions for our customers. We are using the SIEM solutions. We are not a user, we are a reseller.

We have many customers. Not all may be using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution.

In general, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Babar Shahbaz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Product Management (Cloud & Digital) at Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited
    Integrates well with other Fortinet solutions, has nice VR and security feature s
    • "We like the integration of all of these Fortinet platforms together. Everything is integrated well, and we are able to sell that as a service to our customers."
    • "FortiSIEM is not a market leader in the SIEM space."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet has a unique model, which they call MSSP, managed services security partner. They select a telco in a country, partner with them, and offer them the certification track. We are an MSSP partner in Pakistan. FortiSIEM and FortiSOAR, their overall solutions that are there for threat mitigation, visibility, control, et cetera, is well integrated.

There's a VR feature that is basically segmenting these firewalls, these security devices. Using that feature, we can make a network slice for each and every enterprise customer. All of the infrastructure is deployed in our data center, yet customer uses it as if it is their own.

What needs improvement?

FortiSIEM is not a market leader in the SIEM space. In SIEM solutions, typically, our customers ask for Splunk, or they ask for Logarithm. Some legacy customers ask for IBM. This isn’t as popular. Fortinet needs to grow in that perspective. They need to become a leader in the magic quadrant of Gartner and be seen as visionary so that the top customers, the big customers, take them seriously in the SIEM space.

I’ve been using the solution for more than a year now.

This is an absolutely stable solution. There aren’t bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable.

We don’t have users per se. We are selling it. We have just started selling it. At this point, we have more than double-digit customers onboarded who are using the services.

My understanding is that the solution is entirely scalable.

We find technical support quite helpful. They're very responsive. They have a very good on-the-ground team in Pakistan.

While I am responsible for the overall product owners within PTCL, within my organization, I don’t directly deal with implementation tasks.

My colleagues tell me it is easy to deal with, however.

I can’t speak to the general cost of the solution. They have a very flexible model for partners like us, however. It is a pay-as-you-grow model.

What other advice do I have?

I’m not sure which exact version I’m using.

We are a cloud provider. Whatever we do, we sell it to our clients. We're not an enterprise, we are a public cloud provider, PTCL, and we sell to our clients.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten.

If a company already has Fortinet devices in their network they have all the components of security of Fortinet, then it will make sense for them to consider FortiSIEM. If, however, it doesn’t have Fortinet security devices, it may be difficult to leverage.

Ishwor Shrestha - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Analyst at netfiniti
    Good GUI, helpful technical support, and easy to configure
    • "The product is quite well-organized. The GUI makes it easy to navigate."
    • "It would be good if the solution offered even more configuration options, especially in relation to the VPN so that it continues to be a very flexible option."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as part of the firewall. I work mostly with banks and have extensive experience with configuring the VPN in relation to Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite user-friendly.

It's very easy to configure everything, including the VPN. It gives you lots of good options.

The product is quite well-organized. The GUI makes it easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

The solution is almost 100% perfect. It's already quite simple and easy to configure. In that sense, no improvements are needed.

You do seem to be constantly learning new things with the product. There's a bit of an ongoing learning curve in terms of usage. Right now, I'm learning about higher availability and that's an ongoing process.

The solution offers both command line and GUI visualizations. They need to ensure that their GUI offers just as much flexibility on the configuration as the command line structure.

I've been using the solution for about seven months at this point. It's been less than a year.

The stability of the product is fairly good. It's likely 70-80% there in terms of stability. There are many versions and the stability may vary slightly on each.

In terms of security, however, I would say it's very stable.

We haven't implemented the latest version yet as it hasn't been implemented widely.

In general, the stability isn't a problem for us and we don't need to worry too much about it.

The technical support is quite fine. We can communicate with them easily if we need to. If we have a problem or we need an issue addressed, we simply open a ticket and the Fortinet team is ready to assist. They are very knowledgeable and responsive. We've been satisfied with the support they give us.

The initial setup does take some time to learn. I'm in the process of learning more about it now, specifically in relation to configuration or the VPN.

If you are comparing the product to Cisco's solutions, it's very cheap and moderately priced. It's affordable. At the same time, it's a very effective solution. It's affordable and it works well.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the product at an eight. It's been a pretty positive experience overall. I'm still learning the solution and discovering new things about it, however, it has everything I need at the same time.

Abdul-MuminIddrisu - PeerSpot reviewer
    CCO at oduma solutions ltd
    Effective multi-tenancy, helpful support, but interface could improve
    • "Fortinet FortiSIEM's most valuable feature is the simplicity in handling multi-tenancy and the ability to switch between different clients at the same time. That was handled flawlessly."
    • "The interface needs some improvements because it's a bit cumbersome when you're trying to view items. It takes some time to get used to. Additionally, sometimes the scrolling does not work."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiSIEM for multi-tenant SOC service.

Fortinet FortiSIEM is deployed in our data center, and we have one collector. Each client has a collector within their environment. We set up a collector within each client's environment, and then have a VPN connection from the client's environment to our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Fortinet FortiSIEM has helped us achieve our goal of serving multi-tenant SOC services. We're able to serve multiple clients at the same time.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiSIEM's most valuable feature is the simplicity in handling multi-tenancy and the ability to switch between different clients at the same time. That was handled flawlessly.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs some improvements because it's a bit cumbersome when you're trying to view items. It takes some time to get used to. Additionally, sometimes the scrolling does not work.

I have been using Fortinet FortiSIEM for one year.

Fortinet FortiSIEM is stable.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiSIEM is good.

We have contacted the support a number of times and they were helpful.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiSIEM is straightforward. It took us approximately two weeks.

We did the deployment in-house. We had two people for the implementation.

We are using Fortinet FortiSIEM to serve clients, and we are receiving our return on investment from them.

The price of Fortinet FortiSIEM was reasonable compared to other solutions.

There are many licenses required, such as the MSSP, Agent, and device. For the number of devices that you are monitoring, you need licenses. The license you pay per your usage. When you are onboarding more clients onto it, the license fee is for the usage. Additionally, there's the Windows Agent license that you need. If you use any Windows Agent, you receive a separate license charge.

What other advice do I have?

We started using Fortinet FortiSIEM because we were recommended to use it by a trusted source.

My advice to others would be to carefully look at the cost involved, and look closely at the licensing model. If it's a model that works for you, then great. However, it came as a surprise to us, we were told that we would be giving different licenses for the devices, and for the Windows Agent separately. We were not expecting the additional costs, it caught us off guard.

I rate Fortinet FortiSIEM a six out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Asst Programmer Data Center at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Plenty of features, reliable, but more frequent updates needed
    • "We have found the most important features in Fortinet FortiSIEM to be the correlation, file utility check, latest file, and hash changes. These features are important for us."
    • "We expect the latest patch from Fortinet FortiSIEM to give the ability to work with signature files."

What is our primary use case?

We are creating our new dashboards and correlations as per our requirements with Fortinet FortiSIEM.

What is most valuable?

We have found the most important features in Fortinet FortiSIEM to be the correlation, file utility check, latest file, and hash changes. These features are important for us.

What needs improvement?

We expect the latest patch from Fortinet FortiSIEM to give the ability to work with signature files.

The patch management on the software needs to be better. We have not received frequent updates from their site. That's the major challenge for us. Going by the latest trends there are lots of cyber attacks happening in the entire world. All of the latest trends, patches, file updates, and hash updates should be released as soon as possible, whilst an attack is detected the patch has to be released on time.

I have been using Fortinet FortiSIEM for two and a half years.

It's a foolproof solution for our requirements, it is stable.

The solution is scalable. However, this depends on the license we purchase. Additionally, to scale the solution requires a large investment for computer hardware, such as SSD, memory, and CPUs.

We have approximately 25 security engineers using the solution and approximately 10,000 end users.

We do not have plans to increase the usage of the solution at this time.

I would rate the support of Fortinet FortiSIEM a four out of ten.

We previously were using the Juniper STRM, but  Juniper STRM is currently not available. I think that their company was taken over by IBM QRadar, this is why we have gone with FortiSIEM.

The workload required for this software is a major challenge. It requires a huge workload in terms of CPU and memory. It requires a huge workload for the installation and for the integration with all the systems. The whole implementation took approximately six months.

We had help from the Fortinet team for the implementation team.

We have received a return on investment by using this solution.

The price of Fortinet FortiSIEM is a lot less when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others thinking about implementing this solution is if your organizational budget is low, then we go for Fortinet FortiSIEM. Otherwise, if we have enough budget, I would recommend IBM QRadar and or other solutions.

I rate Fortinet FortiSIEM a six out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    ZaidoonAbuhanak - PeerSpot reviewer
    SALES PRODUCT MANAGER at NOURNET
    Reseller
    Reasonably priced with good dashboards and an easy initial setup
    • "Technical support is helpful."
    • "They need to integrate better with Cisco and Palo Alto."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is good.

The best features are the dashboard and the integration between the Fortinet products. We can connect the nodes very easily.

The initial setup is very easy.

It's great to use both this and FortiSOAR. It makes everything better. If you use them together with Fortianalyzer, it's better than Splunk.

The solution is stable.

It is a scalable product.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

There are some connectivity issues with FortiAnalyzer and FortiGate.

They need to integrate better with Cisco and Palo Alto.

The solution is very stable. It offers good reliability.

We have found that it is possible to scale the solution.

With technical support, I often direct tickets to them in terms of licensing, and within a maximum of two to three hours, the license will be active. They are very helpful. They are very responsive. They are always responding to the tickets and assisting us. You can show your customer their level of engagement. It's very impressive. Customers are happy.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

In Saudi Arabia, customers are doing Splunk or LogRhythm. In Jordan, we are using Fortinet due to the fact that it is cheaper.

There is not a huge difference between all the technology as all the partners use the same technology.

The solution is quite simple and straightforward to set up. I'd rate it a four out of five in terms of ease of execution.

There is, for example, no need to more configuration. It's very easy. In the cloud, you just reinstall the virtual machine, its main connectors in Big Sur, and then, on the customer side, you put the small virtual machine at the connectors.

The pricing is very good. It's reasonable and competitive. I'd rate the pricing at five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: PARTNER / INTEGRATOR
    Download our free Fortinet FortiSIEM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022