IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell Avamar OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell Avamar is #2 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software and #12 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell Avamar an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Dell Avamar is most commonly compared to Dell NetWorker: Dell Avamar vs Dell NetWorker. Dell Avamar is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Dell Avamar Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell Avamar Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Dell Avamar?

Dell Avamar data protection software delivers flexible and efficient backup and recovery operations that can scale from daily backup protection for endpoints to high-performance protection for large enterprises with diverse applications and workloads. With application consistent recovery, automation and fast backup and restores, Avamar can help you meet your SLAs and optimize your backup and recovery processes

If you are deploying all or part of your backup environment to the cloud, Avamar enables you to make the most of your cloud investment, enabling replication, disaster recovery and long-term retention for customers using AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud.

Avamar is available as part of Dell Data Protection Suite, which offers comprehensive data protection software applications and tools. Avamar is delivered as software and as a virtual edition.

Dell Avamar was previously known as Avamar.

Dell Avamar Customers

Dodge County, St Laurence's College, FieldCore (a GE Company), Comanche County Memorial Hospital, Getronics, Lewisville Independent School District, EnvisionRxOptions, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions

Dell Avamar Video

Archived Dell Avamar Reviews (more than two years old)

Deputy General Manager ( Practice Head Data Protection and Migration) at Netmagic Solutions (An NTT Communications Company)
Great duplication and backup speed made a huge difference to us but it is expensive
  • "Duplication and the speed of backup are great."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

I recently stopped using this product because my work moved away from operations and I'm now a patents director, so I generally do the designing. My client was looking for backups and for an application along with a desktop backup. We are partners with Dell and I'm the deputy general manager of the company.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the duplication and the speed of backup, which really made the difference for us.

What needs improvement?

Everyone is now talking about hyperscalers like AWS, Azure and Google, so I guess Data Domain and others are coming in a native format, but the pricing is really expensive compared to the rest of the competitors' software. Beam and maybe Commvault are providing cheaper solutions compared to Avamar and Data Domain on software hyperscalers. They should really move to cloud and reduce the price. It's not a portal service, so we have to buy the devices along with it. That was the problem we kept facing in the market.
Nowadays every backup solution has more features compared to this, but I can't think of anything that needs improving in Avamar because it's already an enterprise tool.

I've used this solution for the past three years.

Dell Avamar
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

Dell EMC is pretty good in terms of customer support. We use our own team for maintenance.

In the  case of Commvault, you should have a drive or your DVD engine, key machines which you have to start because you need to have the ability for the machine. That is the only difference I've seen between Avamar and Commvault. Commvault seems to have the upper hand because of the computation and duplication services. That said, Avamar is used mainly  for enterprise and Commvault is good for SMB and smaller customers.

The initial setup was a bit complicated, it's not a simple setup. There are a lot of challenging networks to deploy. It's not related to the software, it's more from a customer network point of view. The deployment took me about one or two days, not more than that.

What other advice do I have?

If you're enterprise, you are definitely going to use Avamar because it can save a lot of space because of its duplication feature, which is great. Just the backup speed is tremendous compared to other backup solutions. If you're enterprise and having issues with set up, then I'd definitely recommend Avamar.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
Hermann Eric Steve ZE MVONDO - PeerSpot reviewer
Expert IT Infrastructure and Systems at ITGSTORE CONSULTING
Enables our customers to meet their goals but it is hard to manage
  • "It's a good solution."
  • "The management of this solution is a little bit difficult for IT administrators. They have to be trained before going through the system."

What is our primary use case?

As solution providers, we provide solutions to meet the objectives and goals of customers. We provide a general global architecture and the right solution that will solve a customer's problem and meet the goal at the fixed cost. If the customer doesn't mention a specific provider, then to meet the goal, we use the provider that we have to.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Dell EMC Avamar for two to three years.

We haven't worked on the extension or scalability of Dell EMC Avamar. We didn't find it fairly straight forward. When we have to upgrade or scale it, a lot of things don’t fit.

Dell EMC Avamar is hard to manage because of the support. It’s very difficult to get support. Our solution is complex which makes it more difficult to get an answer from them. We have multiple vendors in our environment. Support only looks at their own solution and not the solution as a whole. It would be easier if our whole infrastructure was Dell EMC. It’s very difficult to get help with troubleshooting. When you have an architecturally multiple-vendor solution, like we do, it’s hard to find a solution to the problem. It’s normal that they only focus on the part that corresponds to their company, but I would like for them to look at the environment as a whole.

I did not find the setup to be fairly straightforward. There are a lot of things that don’t fit when we try to upgrade or scale it. We have to break every chain and reduce it from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult to manage the Dell EMC Avamar template, so we try to avoid that program. The return process, when there was no space and we had to create some space, was very time-consuming. There are solutions that are simpler than Dell EMC Avamar.

I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a six out of ten.

From my IT experience, there are much simpler solutions than Dell EMC Avamar for management and recovery. Dell EMC Avamar would not be my first choice.

Dell Avamar
August 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SunilGupta1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at F1 INFOTECH
Great deduplication, excellent features added yearly, and very stable
  • "The deduplication feature is the best aspect of the solution."
  • "The solution is not very strong on the Cloud. They should work out how they can use this as a backup as a service."

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature is the best aspect of the solution.

The solution is always coming up with new features year over year. They are consistently updating their offering to continuously offer better and broader functionality in their product.

By using a single software you can do a back up of all of your servers as their products have several virtual servers. That's the benefit of going with the Dell EMC set up.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability of the solution is very good.

Technical support has always been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not very strong on the Cloud. They should work out how they can use this as a backup as a service.

I've been using the solution for seven years now.

The solution is quite reliable. The stability is good. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. It's not a problem to grow the solution out if you need to.

Multiple people in our firm are using it.

Technical support is excellent. We're very satisfied with the level of support we get. They're great at responding.

We previously used a variety of other solutions before landing on EMC.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. I'd describe the process as simple. It doesn't take to long to set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Dell EMC.

We are using the latest version of the solution, although I don't know what the version number is.

I would recommend the solution. The solution is great. There are very little improvements needed on the solution, aside from better cloud improvements. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Michel Taung - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer for Business Solution Department at PT. Mastersystem Infotama
Fast performance and it integrates well with our domains

What is most valuable?

The integration with host domains is very good.

The backup and recovery speed is very fast.

What needs improvement?

We have had issues with performing backups in our hybrid environment.

I would like to see better integration with third-party applications and platforms.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for one year.

Stability seems good, where you can extend to the cloud from the computer.

I think that Avamar is a scalable solution. We have four people in the company who use it.

We are satisfied with technical support from Dell EMC. There is also support available in the community.

It will take a few hours to deploy, including the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it. Overall, I would say that Avamar is great for me.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

A Z - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Engineer at Eta2u
Many valuable features, good stability, and is easy to manage
  • "Dell EMC Avamar has many valuable features. It's very stable and it's easy to manage."
  • "It's not the best solution for big databases."

What is our primary use case?

In Romania, more customers own their enterprise software. But the new wave wants to also try cloud data centers and cloud backup and so on.

What is most valuable?

Dell EMC Avamar has many valuable features. It's very stable and it's easy to manage. It can be used instead of NetBackup or HP Data Protector backup.

Customers like it exactly like it is. They don't want new features from Avamar. Dell EMC is linked appropriately to VMware and they can implement some mechanisms from VMware more deeply than other vendors. This is one of the keys with Avamar.

The implementation is very simple. And, of course, EMC has a complex dashboard that can integrate all their backup solutions for the clients. They can use this software tool for backup and another one for disaster recovery and they don't need a complex dashboard.

Everything is pretty simple in this product.

It's based on HTML5 which allows for dashboards to have the maximum integration. It is up to date technology.

It also allows you to make a robot backup from a remote site to a central site with a very good compression

What needs improvement?

Its use case is for the VM machines because Avamar is not integrated with the backup and it's much more useful for the bare-metal VM server backup and recovery. It is integrated with the databases but it's not the best solution for big databases.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for more than 10 years.

Maintenance is needed everywhere and EMC is not so cheap for support. Our customers are very proficient and they need that support from the vendor. They also have an opportunity to buy our services because it's a little cheaper than the manufacturer.

The level of scalability depends. It's easy, but it depends if they are also a multiplier. If they have a lot of domains then it is the best in the market and the backup appliances are easy to expand. On the other hand, it needs a lot of money. If you have your own, not so expensive storage, you can backup on it and save some money.

Customer support begins with a phone call depending on the level of support. It is often 24 hours or the hourly rate. The support line is open but they ask if you bought the support or not.

Usually, they know the product the best and can solve the problem between two to four hours. If the problem is because of another software or hardware, it might take two days to solve.

Setup takes a maximum of one hour from documentation until it is finished. All software solutions need to be clearly documented.

I think that after one hour we can start backup.

The initial licensing is usually for two or three years. After that they can buy a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

In Romania we have a lot of enterprises. That means more than 200 servers and maybe hundreds to thousands of clients. If they have a lot of VM machines it's one of the best solutions. If they have over 30 percent of their database on other applications is not recommended. It's working, but it's not recommended.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Dell EMC Avamar based on the environment. If they have a cloud implementation of virtual machines then I would rate it ten out of ten.

Haseeb Sheikh - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager IT Infrastructure at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easily backs up remote sites' data and not much bandwidth is required from its side
  • "Avamar's source side deduplication is very strong, it can easily back up remote sites' data, and not much bandwidth is required on the Avamar side."
  • "EMC has discontinued their Avamar hardware version. They only advertise the Avamar virtual edition."

What is our primary use case?

Our company has more than 5,000 employees, and we use the Avamar solution for the protection of our rear environment, we are protecting 1,500+ VMs using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We have Avamar Gen4 right now, which is already end-of-life, which is to be replaced this year with a better solution from either EMC or IBM.

We are going to replace the overall data solutions for our enterprise. Already the project is in a negotiation stage with EMC, IBM, and Huawei.

What is most valuable?

Avamar's source-side deduplication is very strong, it can easily back up remote sites' data, and not much bandwidth is required on the Avamar side.

What needs improvement?

EMC has discontinued their Avamar hardware version. They only advertise the Avamar virtual edition. I think it would be hard to deploy Avamar in the future with the virtual edition as we are protecting our large environment. We would not like to protect our environment in the virtual edition of the Avamar. We would like to protect our environment in a physical version of a new data protection suite that EMC offers - a server solution in the physical form.

They should bring back the physical implementation of the Avamar. In addition to that, they should also add the BMR for Linux that includes AIX and Solaris because right now the BMR for AIX and Solaris is not available.

We have been working with Dell EMC Avamar for eight years.

I am the administrator. I am personally using the solution.

Right now, although the product is now two years past EOL it's supporting our infrastructure quite well. There were some failures of the hardware which we resolved ourselves. Overall, the product is very solid and it supports all the virtual and physical infrastructure, the databases, and all the stuff. It's quite a solid product.

Currently, our model is scalable, but the scalability of Avamar requires physical nodes to be added to the box. EMC has already said that it is the end-of-sales for this product. So they do not provide additional nodes for it. It is possible to scale the product more, but the nodes are not available.

I rarely contact Dell EMC technical support.

But when I do, they are very good, very responsive. They get back to you in 10 to 20 minutes and resolve the issue. They are very much a steady provider.

The initial setup is complex.

For example, we have approximately eight-node clusters of Avamar servers on the primary site and we have five node clusters of Avamar on the other site. Integration was a bit difficult. I am supporting the product myself, without the help of any EMC support, for two years now.

There are some issues because this is an appliance. The administration of Avamar is quite simple but there are underlining things that need to be supported and are quite difficult because this is an appliance.

It was approximately $70-80,000 when it was under support, but right now EMC has not been supporting this product for two years.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the EOL issues, I would not recommend to anyone to use this product anymore. They have a newer virtual edition of Avamar. But Avamar is not available on the physical servers, as of now.

I would give Dell EMC Avamar a seven out of 10.

System Operation Engineer at Stayfit
A very reliable back up with good technical support and excellent stability
  • "The backup is the solution's most valuable feature. It's very reliable."
  • "The configuration and expansion aspects of the solution need improvement. They're complicated and don't really integrate well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup.

What is most valuable?

The backup is the solution's most valuable feature. It's very reliable.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires a remote site application in a future release. I believe they are currently working on this.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is very stable. It's really reliable.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is very complex.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We were lucky to receive the solution as part of a bundle. It was actually a relatively good price, but there are better solutions, like Veem. However, they can be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model of the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has high compression ratios but their cloud options should be expanded
  • "We sell Avamar with Data Domain. Data Domain and Avamar work really well together and their compression ratios are very high compared to Veeam, Commvault, and all the other backup software on the market."
  • "I think they could also move more towards cloud solutions. It already has some cloud tiering, but I think that could be more extensive. They should work with all cloud providers and I think in the future they will be on all cloud platforms."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price is the main thing I'd like to see them change. If they can come down in price, that would be a good thing. It's very cost-competitive in the entry-level range because Veeam pricing is much cheaper than Avamar.

I think they could also move more towards cloud solutions. It already has some cloud tiering, but I think that could be more extensive. They should work with all cloud providers and I think in the future they will be on all cloud platforms.

We've been using this solution for three or four years.

The stability is really good. We have no complaints. Everybody who has Data Domain with Avamar sticks with it. We have not seen anybody leave once they go in.

Scalability is good. Data is getting expanded rapidly, so it really needs scalability and it was scalable. Of course, it did not support the data explosions that we had because of unstructured stuff and other complications. Now, there's a new product called Data Protector for that, which is scalable as well. It can scale out as well. The only thing with this solution is 60 terabytes is the starting point, which is a good high-end solution. I hope they will come back with an entry-level version for that as well.

Technical support was announced a few months ago and we are still on the learning curve.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

You need to work with a specialist and EMC is a very huge company now. If, however, you go and talk to the right person who knows Avamar and data protection stuff, they can help you price the solution perfectly. That's not something that you should take for granted. There are so many tools available to do a proper sizing.

I would rate Avamar as six out of ten. I would like to give it a seven or eight, but the price is too high. It depends on who wants this solution. For enterprise companies, I can rate it as eight or nine. For entry-level companies, I would say it's a six, or perhaps even lower, like a four, because the price point is very high compared to other companies.

Maciej-Kieliszek - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at EXnIT Sp. z o.o.
Backup for end users, computers, servers, and storage paths
  • "I think the brand is very good. Support is also very nice for end users and integration with EMC products for businesses."
  • "The interface could be more helpful for people."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on site version.

How has it helped my organization?

I think the brand is very good. Support is also very nice for end-users and integration with EMC products for businesses. Customers choose this EMC product because they also have this brand in their infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I think the biggest advantage it offers is backup, for end-users as well as computers, not only servers and storage paths. The solution can also backup end users. One of the most important things is also deduplication.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more helpful for people.

We've been using this solution for about seven years.

It works smoothly.

It's easy to scale.

I would give the technical support nine out of ten.

The initial setup is complex.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the pricing could be done better at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely recommend this product, but I don't have any other advice.

I would rate this product around eight out of ten.

System Admin at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to deploy and has good capabilities but the technical support needs to improve
  • "It was very simple to deploy the solution to the client that you wanted to backup."
  • "It was challenging to back up our Exchange database, which is one of the reasons we did not continue using this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We recently stopped using this solution but it was being used to back up our servers and client machines.

We were using an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

It was very simple to deploy the solution to the client that wanted to backup.

What needs improvement?

It was challenging to back up our Exchange database, which is one of the reasons we did not continue using this solution. It was very tough, and a case of having to contact the Microsoft Partner Network.

Technical support needs to be improved.

We could not integrate this solution with our tape backup.

We had been using this solution for between one and two years.

This is a stable product.

We had about one hundred users on the platform.

I would not rate technical support high for this solution. We had a problem and nobody could be specific about the issue, or what it is that we needed to do in order to resolve it.

Technical support could not resolve the issue that we had in terms of integrating with tape.

We were not able to back up the Exchange database with this solution. In the end, we had to discontinue using it. We switched to EMC Data Domain, and the cost was one of the factors that influenced our decision.

Our in-house team implemented this solution, although I was not part of the process so I do not know the details.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. It is a good product. It's stable, it is easy to deploy, and the visibility of the backup and restore is good.

If I had my way then we would be using this solution for other applications and we would be running them side-by-side as a comparison.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Responsable des Systèmes Départementaux at CIH BANK
A powerful solution for protecting virtual machines that's very stable and easy to implement
  • "We love the instant recovery functionality. It's very useful."
  • "The licensing model is not very flexible. Every time we upgrade our storage size, we need to upgrade the Avamar license."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to protect our virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

We love the instant recovery functionality. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

We found some difficulty around co-locating with restructuring. I think the co-location between Avamar and vCenter, in my opinion, is not the best.

We like the easy integration with VMware and vCenter, but we'd like to click a button for any kind of virtual machine and then click on backup and restore. It would make things easier if this could be done in a few clicks. Right now, it's a bit more in-depth.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

Technical support does a very good job. They are very reactive when we come to them with issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy to deploy the solution.

The licensing model is not very flexible. Every time we upgrade our storage size, we need to upgrade the Avamar license.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I think it is a powerful tool. We use it on both our production and disaster sites.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Stanislaw Jagielski - PeerSpot reviewer
Trainer, storage consultant at Oxon
Good for backups and is easy to troubleshoot
  • "The product is good for backups."
  • "The client caches and deduplication system have a few problems."

What is our primary use case?

Data backup is our primary usage of the solution.

What is most valuable?

I am impressed by the ease of troubleshooting due to the internal database. You can get a lot of information from the backup jobs and that is very useful. For example, the program has a very nice importer called Clientele Activity.

Sometimes when you run backups for products, you will get the information about the backups - some successful some unsuccessful. You also often get information about some clients who don't run any data backups. So from a troubleshooting point of view, it offers valuable information that you can work on.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations on the backups and the databases so I think that needs a little improvement. The client caches and deduplication system have a few problems.

I've been using EMC Avamar for 18 years now.

The solution is stable as long as you are very careful when you shut down and start up. If you will do everything according to the rules, everything will be okay. But if you make a mistake or shut down the wrong way, or install something the wrong way, you will have some problems. The system is a little sensitive about things that are not done correctly. If you follow the rules, the system will pay you very well. If you do not follow the rules, you will have some troubles.

The program has something called RAIN, and RAIN is the head of the systems, that hosts computers that work together. This RAIN has some limitations on the number of nodes you can put it together to make something like the cloud computer for which something can be seen as a great computer. The second thing is that Avamar has many internal things checking the consistency of the data.

And from this point of view, you sometimes get some mutations on the performance miles and the composite. You can overcome this by using Data Domain. If you add the Data Domain to the system, then you'll see stuff that can be seen as a kind of management system by Avamar, stored back in the Data Domain. It's a beautiful component.

Because I am the inspector at our company I simply call my global instructor or another linked instructor if I need something checked. So I've never used the technical team.

We used Omniverge for some time, but at that time the cost became too high so we switched to Avamar. If you look at the backup and database of Avamar, it stands out above the rest.

The initial setup was complex and it was very hard to implement that in Avamar itself because there were about 500 pages you had to go through. It was a nightmare. It was 18 years ago so it will probably be easier now. I did the deployment myself but I can't remember how long that took.

What other advice do I have?

Before you start using this program, you must know that you can't do everything with Avamar. There are some limitations like the size of the database.

One lesson I've learned from working with Avamar is that you must follow the rules. Often people do not follow the rules for different products. Some products are very forgiving and you don't need to strictly follow the rules, but with Avamar, you have to follow the rules. You have to read the manual, you have to really know what you are doing, especially when you do the first implementation.

The product is good for backups but if you look at the analytics, I would like to say that there is a possibility to improve the caches or to do something with the application process on the clients' side, and back-ups for the bigger objects like the databases of the processing systems.

I rate this product 8.5. It could be nine, but it has a few limitations.

MuathAlhwetat - PeerSpot reviewer
SAN and UNIX Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great integration with VMware and support for Data Domain
  • "We have a lot of backups, and this tool helps us with the RMAN Backup."
  • "There are limitations when trying to use this solution with Hyper-V."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for tape backup and data domain. It is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of backups, and this tool helps us with the RMAN Backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is D2 and conversion with the Data Domain because other solutions are not able to use the Data Domain.

Integration with VMware is great.

What needs improvement?

There are limitations when trying to use this solution with Hyper-V. The limitations exist when trying to restore a backup from Hyper-V.

This solution needs to have full integration with Hyper-V, like the way Veeam has. In the hub, the DBA cannot restore the backup directory directly on the host. They have to restore the data disks and then deploy to the VM after this is done.

I would like to see an open-source learning platform for this solution.

We have been using this solution for about three years.

This is a very stable solution. We use this product on a daily basis.

I like the scalability this solution has. We have more than fifty severs and more than four hundred VMs. We do not plan to increase usage at this time.

Technical support for this solution was great. They are very quick to respond.

Prior to this solution, we worked with Commvault, Veritas, and Veeam. We still work with multiple vendors for our backup and recovery solution.

The initial setup of this solution is simple. The deployment took a couple of days for the components. There are some steps to perform on the network before everything can be installed.

There are three members that make up our administrative team.

During the implementation, we worked with a partner and it was a good experience.

This solution is less expensive than Veeam for us, although it depends on the customer because we get a great discount.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend, although if you have Hyper-V then I would suggest you use Veeam. Veeam is fully integrated with Hyper-V, and there are more features in Veeam.

Manager of Production Systems at COMERCIAL CITY FRESKO
The backup speed is impressive

What is our primary use case?

Backup of virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Very reliable tool.

What is most valuable?

The speed of backups.

What needs improvement?

Reports generation.

More than five years.
Backup Systems Engineer at Nordstrom, Inc.
Access to logs for each backup enables easy troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

This product is very easy to use. The interface is easier to use than other backup solutions. The product is mature and can handle all of our data protection.

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity of use and the ease of updating physical client software is one of the best features.

What is most valuable?

• Image level backups
  • Replication for DR
  • Almost instant access restores
  • The access to the logs for each backup allows for easy troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a truly native SQL backup solution. All of our DBAs are looking for a truly native solution. They are satisfied with the current solution but would really like a truly native solution like the Oracle RMAN solution. What we mean by true Native solution, is that no Data Protection product has a true MS Native solution to protecting data. What we have been doing for years is have the DBA script in the Native MS to do a dump of the DB to a file. Then the backup solution would come behind and pick up those dumps. Then the DBA would have to request a restore of the dump files, and then use a script to pull that information. Where with RMAN, the DBA can write a script to backup and restore directly to the Avamar. It is a much cleaner and less costly solution. With the SQL dump and scape, we need so much MORE storage space to help them keep all of their data protected.

More than five years.

This product is very stable. We have never had any outages and the support for this product is very good.

This product can grow with your company. We selected this solution as it allows us to keep the existing data domains that we used for our previous solution. We have the ability to add more storage to the existing DDs or to add another as needed.

Like any other company, many of the support calls go to places on the other side of the world. It is sometimes difficult to understand them. I found that the support that was given was very good. I usually choose to receive support via Webex and email due to the communication challenges you get with offshore support.

We used to have Veeam and NetBackup. We moved to Avamar as it had more features; it helped reduce the number of environments we had to support. It also reduced the amount of time we spend on upgrades. It simplified our total data protection and reduced the number of clients that were required to be installed.

The initial set up was very straightforward.

We used a combination as we have some people who are new to the Avamar product.

The set up is really easy. They have a virtual edition for smaller environments, and the documentation for doing the install is really good. For larger environments, the PS group works directly with you on the install and setup for new customers. The cost was actually cheaper than any of the other solutions we looked at.

We looked at a variety of other products. One of the main reasons we selected Avamar was the fact that they have support for physical servers running Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, and AIX. We have a large enough physical environment that we needed the ability to protect them.

PaulLemmons - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Systems Software Engineer at Tucson Medical Center
Stability has improved since we first started using it, but it still has a ways to go and could also benefit from a web-based UI

What is our primary use case?

File level, backup and recovery of data stored on AIX, Linux, and Windows server to Data Domain storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The product works. It does, however, require a significant amount of handholding from support. The support is good, but we should not have to reach out to them so often.

What is most valuable?

File level, SQL Server and NDMP (NetApp) backups. Both backup and recovery work well for all three types of data.

What needs improvement?

• Stability has improved since we first started using it, but it still has a ways to go. The systems also collect metadata that builds over time. It will build until it cannot build anymore and fills up your nodes. I have plenty of space on my Data Domain, but I'm running out of space on the nodes due to metadata creep.
  • It could also benefit from a web-based UI. The Java UI is clunky at best.

Lead - Data Protection at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Helped Reduced Backup Times And To Eschew Backup Hardware Management

What is most valuable?

Client deduplication.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced backup times.

What needs improvement?

• Restores should be faster.
  • Backup image browse times should be faster.
  • User interface is very dated.
  • No accurate backup size utilization of clients.

Six years.

Very good.

Fair.

NetBackup. We needed faster backup times for NAS and server clients.

Straightforward.

Vendor team. They did a good job.

Veeam, Commvault. We wanted to get away from managing backup hardware in traditional backup infrastructure/design.

it_user10509 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
​Source based deduplication is the most attractive feature as it drastically reduces the backup window​.
  • "Source based deduplication is the most attractive feature as it drastically reduces the backup window."
  • "Desktop-laptop backups and backup over the WAN needs lot of improvisation. For DTLT there must be a provision to push agents from the management console."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I've helped several organizations reduce the backup window and they could spend time on optimizing other bits of IT infra.

What needs improvement?

Desktop-laptop backups and backup over the WAN needs lot of improvisation. For DTLT there must be a provision to push agents from the management console. Users must be able to browse data set of what to backup behind a WAN IP / firewall.

3 years.

With older OS versions like Microsoft 2003, there were a few issues. However, they have clearly mentioned that it is not supported.

Adding new nodes is an extremely difficult task. Took me nearly 28 hours for node addition and data rebalance.

Eight out of 10, when I used to work. However, after Dell acquisition, I have no clue.

Ability to manage both DTLT and server backup using the same console, and reduced backup window and data footprint, were the major reasons for my customers to change.

Initialization and management is very simple. Its a GUI based installation with clearly defined steps.

It is very expensive. It's a trust based licensing. So that's an ethical challenge.

What other advice do I have?

Have your inventory ready and priorities set. Make sure initial backup is taken during off-production hours as the solution works only on LAN.

it_user159876 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Tech Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
​Client side deduplication is a plus but troubleshoot feature could be improved.

Valuable Features

Client side deduplication.

Improvements to My Organization

My Organisation provides Backup as services. DD Avamar used full for shared platform for customers.

Room for Improvement

From a technical point of view, all EMC products have to improve the troubleshoot feature like, log should be in human readable format.

Use of Solution

Past 5 to 6 years.

Avamar deployment is not admin friendly and its required to use help from professiona; services.

Wrong integration always

Not yet.

3.5/5

3/5

Avamar is bit complex.

Implementation Team

Through vendor team and try to just know how to fix the hardware and plug the networker cable. Rest of the things we have to do remotely .

Other Solutions Considered

For enterprise level backup solution – No .

Other Advice

I recommend EMC products due to their stability .

it_user386508 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user386508Associate Principal SW QA Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees

Have you tried the latest EMC Avamar ?

it_user93819 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Engineering at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees

“Are you backing up C:\myfiles? We just accidentally deleted the folder.”
“I know it’s not in our original saveset, but any chance you have a backup of xyx?”

Sound familiar? If you are a backup administrator, I know you have heard variations of the requests above. Traditionally, new systems get deployed and the owners give a specific saveset to the backup administrators. Then when a restore is requested, it never fails that the request will be outside of the original saveset.

I have experienced these scenarios numerous times with traditional full/incremental backup products. The more you backup, the more storage you consume and that means longer backup windows. When I first started in my current position, we were backing up 100 servers with specific savesets. At that time, we had over 500 production servers. As you can imagine, this was a nightmare scenario waiting to happen. We were only able to fulfill about 75% of our restore requests. Not because the savesets where corrupt, but because we weren’t backing up what was requested for restore.

Fortunately, we were able to invest in a new purpose-built deduplicated backup appliance. (EMC Avamar, but there are other products on the market). Avamar is a disk based global deduplication backup appliance. Deduplication is performed at the source and target. Since deduplication is performed at the source, backup times and network bandwidth are significantly reduced using the Avamar solution. Migrating from BackupExec to Avamar was an easy process, but understanding the benefits of deduplicated backup took some time. When we first migrated, we were using the same traditional philosophy: Specific savesets for specific servers. As time went on, we realized that each time we added a new saveset the increase in storage utilization on the deduplication appliance was less than minimal. We decided to start adding more servers, and increasing the scope of our saveset. Within 6 months, we were backing up full file system savesets on 1200 servers.

When we started this migration, we were convinced our environment was different. We were convinced our change rate was too high. We were convinced that backing up everything, every day was too much data. We were wrong, and I’m glad we were.

Typical deduplication rates stated by EMC Avamar Team:

• File Systems: Initial = 70%, Ongoing = 99.7%
  • Databases: Initial = 30%, Ongoing = 90-95%

Deduplication rates that we experienced (average):

• File Systems: Initial = 75%, Ongoing = 99.9%
  • Databases: Initial = 20%, Ongoing = 85%

We are currently backing up 1300 servers nightly with savesets totaling 350 terabytes, and our daily change rate is approximately 1 terabyte. Since moving to this new policy we have experienced the following benefits:

• Restore fulfillment is 100%
  • No discussion on what to backup. Everything is backed up.

Deduplicated backup is a backup administrators dream. Less storage consumption, shorter backup windows, higher restore fulfillment rates, and the ability to sleep at night.

System Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
EMC Avamar has lots of Ying but not so much Yang

First off let me say that Avamar is a great product and hopefully this won’t sound like a rant. I started working with Avamar last year and quickly saw the value in this product which provides enterprise class data protection (backups) to disk. The architecture I went with consisted of large centralized grids, multiple datastore nodes with a utility node, which would be hosted in regional datacenters with remote locations having smaller configurations of either a single datastore node or small grid setup. So at a high level remote sites would backup locally then replicate to a grid in one of the regional datacenters. The local backups in the datacenter would replicate to another datacenter as well. This way there is redundancy for site and datacenter backups while providing a way to do local restores.

Avamar easily showed it’s power in reducing backup windows and reducing the amount of data put on LAN/WAN with source side deduplication for backups and replication. Even the first system backed up benefited from the deduplication and transferred roughly 80% of it’s data across the wire. Avamar backs up the data once so the first time pass will have a greater hit but all subsequent backups are incremental or blocks that are not already on the datastore. The more data in Avamar, the better the deduplication. This also helps reduce the amount of storage needed to store backups which could effectively yield a higher amount of data being protected than whats actually being stored on disk. Avamar also has a image proxy appliance for backing up virtual machines in vSphere which were easy to setup to start backing virtual machines agent-less. Not only is there an appliance that can be used to backup virtual machines there is also the Avamar Virtual Edition. This is an appliance that gets you all the features and functionality in an easy to deploy virtual machine where you have to supply the storage. It only supports a limited storage capacity and there is no supported grid setup but it works really well for those smaller locations.

Now, I talked about some of the goodness of Avamar but there is a flip side. When I say “Avamar has lots of Ying but not so much Yang” I’m simply stating that Avamar has a lot going for it with a solid set of core features and functionality but it’s lacking in some key areas. One of those areas is in the ease of configuration. EMC support actually has to do a lot of the setup and configuration. This can be a good thing but something as simple as the Active Directory integration setup could be a long drown out setup with EMC logged in at the command line. Replication setup is also something that needs improvement because you can only setup a single replication cron job from either the Enterprise Manager or the Avamar Administrator java application. That brings up another area of improvement and in my opinion the most important thing which is the management of Avamar.

There are two separate management consoles that can be used to do certain things Avamar like managing clients or checking backups. This can leave the consumer confused as to which tool should be used for what. The enterprise manager is web based and the avamar administrator is a java application and they both seem to be a bit disjointed and unfinished. The avamar administrator is not too bad and once you get where everything is you can be productive but you can lose yourself in all the windows which can be opened at one time that all look somewhat the same. I can go on with some of the small things like having to click the “show sub-domain groups”, why not make this a default' I use a Mac and the java application looks different. Not so much that I can’t find my way around but some of the elements don’t work the same. So a user interface change is needed in my opinion to add more functionality for configuring things without needing EMC support or going to the command line. And this change should also bring a more clean look and feel with a single pane with easy transitions from one area to the next. Plain and simple just make the management as powerful as the core features and functionality so that Avamar can have balance.

Well, maybe I did rant just a little but there more good to say than bad with Avamar when it comes to protecting data, reducing LAN/WAN traffic, reducing backup windows, etc.

EMC Avamar has lots of Ying but not so much Yang originally appeared on theHyperadvisor by Antone Heyward

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avamar VMware Virtual Machine Protection Pt.1

I wanted to give some insight into how Avamar protects VMware virtual machines. I have been using Avamar 6.0.x and most of the management and configuration from a Mac. Since the operating systems running on the Avamar servers and proxies are linux, having a terminal comes in handy. Plus the management using Avamar Administrator uses Java so it can be used on Windows, Mac or Linux. If your on a Windows system the Avamar Administrator console is a bit more attractive but offers the same functionality. The management of Avamar needs a bit of work and from the grape vine I hear the next release, which is coming soon, will fix a lot of the issues I’ve complained about in my previous post. Either way data protection and recovery with Avamar is pretty solid once you have all the pieces setup and ready but if your looking for easy, look elsewhere. PHD Virtual Backup fits the bill for easy but it only covers VM backups where Avamar can do both physical and virtual.

First, let me give a short tour of the components we’ll need to protect a VMware vSphere environment with Avamar. This only includes the components for data protect or recovery and assumes you already have the VMware vSphere environment configured with vCenter, ESX hosts, with shared storage.

As far as the Avamar Servers and Avamar Virtual Edition (AVE) are concerned you only need one or the other for a single location. They are the backend that stores all the backup data. The Avamar VM Proxy is used to do image level backups and the Windows File-Level VM Proxy is used to do file-level restores from the image backups. This removes the need for backup agents in the virtual machines. This is how the environment layout would look.

I found the documentation very good and easy to follow but here are the basic step you’ll have to do in order to backup and restore VMware virtual machines.

• Setup the Avamar Server with AvFS
  • Deploy and configure Avamar Image Proxy appliance
  • Setup vCenter Server in Avamar
  • Setup Avamar Image Proxy in Avamar
  • Deploy and configure a Windows File-Level Proxy

Notes:

• The Avamar Image Proxy in it’s current 6.0.x version has to be configured to protect either Windows or Linux.
  • I have seen the resolve.conf not be configured properly a couple times so you may want to check them if you have issues.
  • When adding the Avamar Image Proxy to Avamar don’t forget to select the VMFS datastores it should protect.
  • The Avamar Image Proxy can do only one VM at a time so you will have to deploy and configure multiple proxies for parallel processing of VM backups.
  • Make sure change block tracking is used which means virtual machine hardware needs to at version 7 or higher.
  • Image level backups leverages vStorage APIs for Data Protection which uses snapshots so it’s important to make sure datastores have plenty of free space.
  • By default, only a single vCenter Server can be added to the Avamar Server. You can override this if required but I think the max is 10.

Once all the setup is done you can start protecting the VMs for that vCenter Server which you’ll see in the Avamar Administrator as a domain with a Virtual Machines sub domain. Restores are pretty easy from the Avamar Administrator whether it’s for a single file or a full virtual machine. The documentation shows the process for both very well so I will not try to recreate it here. Image based backups with Avamar have been unmatched compared to agent backups. I see more successful backups without the open file errors from agent backups.

Avamar VMware Virtual Machine Protection Pt.1 originally appeared on theHyperadvisor by Antone Heyward

it_user108456 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user108456Application Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees

Good writeup Antone, and I must agree totally that its configuration process is the most convoluted mess that I've ever had the "pleasure" to work with. The product seems to be trying to be all things to all OS's. Ah, well, at least when it works, it works well.

Download our free Dell Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022