IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cato Networks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cato Networks is #1 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools, #4 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, #4 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools, #5 ranked solution in top ZTNA services, and #8 ranked solution in top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools. PeerSpot users give Cato Networks an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Cato Networks is most commonly compared to Zscaler SASE: Cato Networks vs Zscaler SASE. Cato Networks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Cato Networks Buyer's Guide

Download the Cato Networks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Cato Networks?

Cato Networks is a leading SASE (Secure Access Service Edge) platform, combining SD-WAN and network security to obtain a cloud-native service. Cato Networks optimizes and secures application access for users and identities. The platform delivers a next-generation secure networking architecture that minimizes legacy IT infrastructures’ complexity, costs, and risks. The goal of Cato Suite is to connect any user to any application securely and optimally.

Cato Suite runs on a private global network of more than 65 PoPs (points of presence) connected via SLA-backed network providers. The service can connect branches, data centers, users, and clouds. Cato can be deployed in stages to augment legacy network services.

Cato Suite delivers end-to-end route optimization for WAN and cloud traffic. The architecture is self-healing, enabling a high service uptime.

Cato Features

Cato Cloud has a global backbone to deliver a reliable, global network. Here are some key SD-WAN features of Cato Cloud.

• Optimizes traffic flows: The Cato Suite can individually optimize traffic flows in the last mile - from the customer’s location to the point of presence, and also between PoPs. This feature eliminates the need for internet providers to hand off traffic to each other, avoiding the resulting latency and congestion.
  • Controls and manages bandwidth: The software-defined overlay is encrypted across the entire cloud infrastructure. This overlay uses application-aware routing, analyzing latency and loss data to choose the best route according to network conditions. These features, like protocol priority marking, enable the system to ensure the performance of real-time applications.
  • Delivers redundancy and failover: By connecting the points of presence with multiple Tier-1 IPs, Cato builds the redundancy needed to ensure security and highly available service.
  • Cloud-native: Cato is built as a scalable, resilient, and elastic cloud service.
  • Converged: The platform converges SD-WAN and network security into a single infrastructure framework.
  • Secures all edges: Cato Network can secure and optimize traffic from all users, locations, applications, and clouds.

What challenges does Cato Network solve?

• Migration to SD-WAN

MPLS (multi-protocol label switching) networks are usually expensive and limited in their capacity. Cato simplifies migrating to a faster, higher-capacity internet and SASE cloud. Cato SD-WAN appliances enable customers to improve usable capacity and resiliency.

• Global connectivity optimization

Customers who suffer from the challenge of high latency and network inconsistency can use Cato to deliver a consistent connection and user experience to access on-premises and cloud applications.

• Securing branch internet access

Cato’s complete network security stack connects all branch locations to the Cato cloud, therefore protecting all traffic, both internet-bound and WAN, with enterprise-grade, cloud-based security services. This capability avoids having to backhaul internet traffic to a data center or hub or having to implement stand-alone cloud security solutions.

• Cloud acceleration and control

Organizations using Cato notice an acceleration of cloud traffic. Cato achieves this by routing all traffic from the edges to the PoP closest to the data center. Because of the close distance between the two, the latency is near zero.

Reviews from Real Users

An IT manager/project coordinator at a healthcare company says that “[Cato is] a cloud-based solution that integrates well with everything. They are the classic SaaS solution.”

Yeong-Gi L., a network engineer at Snetsystems, notes that “The solution is very stable. The scalability is quite good. Technical support was always helpful and responsive. The integration capabilities are not a problem at all.”

"The most valuable feature is that it also works as a next-gen firewall because it has security features," says Lorenzo S., senior solutions consultant Lead at MDI.

Cato Networks Customers

Paysafe, AdRoll, Pet Lovers Centre, Arlington Orthopedics, Humphreys & Partners Architects

Cato Networks Video

Cato Networks Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cato Networks pricing:
  • "You pay yearly based on the speed of your network. If you increase the speed of your network, you increase the cost for your throughput. It is by bandwidth for the most part and then licenses for VPN. There is some per-seat licensing for VPN access, but the majority of it is minimal. It is like $30 a year per client. The rest is based on how much bandwidth you'll use. You pay for that upfront for the year, and if you have to increase it, you increase it, and then they let you send more data through. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."
  • "If you compare with VeloCloud, the price is the same or even cheaper."
  • "The pricing of this solution depends on what you need. It is based on bandwidth."
  • "Cato Networks seems more expensive than Cisco Meraki."
  • "I rate the price of Cato Networks a four out of five."
  • "The price is not an issue for us, as it is priced more competitively than some other vendors."
  • Cato Networks Reviews

IT Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    Easy to deploy, easy to manage, and helpful for network stability and reliability
    • "The WAN aggregation feature is the most valuable."
    • "Its functionality is a bit limited in some areas as compared to a Cisco solution. It is not as granular. It doesn't have the manageability, feature set, and capabilities of a larger or an enterprise-level solution. It just needs a more robust feature set and granularity."

What is our primary use case?

It is a primary router for the network. It is a cloud solution with on-prem routers. Basically, we got a router here, and we utilize our network connections to get to Cato Network's cloud. We route our traffic through their cloud for security and everything else.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with network stability and reliability.

What is most valuable?

The WAN aggregation feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its functionality is a bit limited in some areas as compared to a Cisco solution. It is not as granular. It doesn't have the manageability, feature set, and capabilities of a larger or an enterprise-level solution. It just needs a more robust feature set and granularity.

Cato Networks
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Cato Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution since June, that is, about six months.

Its stability is pretty good so far. I had a couple of minor issues here and there, but not too bad.

It is hard to say because we don't have a lot of demands or requirements for that. We're not a large shop, so we're not looking to expand so much that we would have to replace them, upgrade them, or push the boundaries of the current system. It is expected to last us for a while at this capacity and configuration. We have 200 users, and it is just a typical office warehouse environment.

They are good and responsive. They solved all the issues.

We were using Palo Alto.

It was pretty basic. It is easy to manage.

You require one experienced IT person for its deployment and maintenance. It wasn't complicated for me, but I've been around. Somebody new to IT or a desktop support guy won't be able to deploy it. Somebody who is a network person and has a good network or IT experience can deploy and manage it with little or no assistance in a company of our size.

We had support from Cato Networks. They helped us with the deployment, and they were good.

It is going to give a return on investment. We have AT&T, Comcast, and a couple of others, but AT&T stability was hit or miss, and it would go down. The ability for this system to handle outages on one circuit out of four meant that we didn't have any downtime because of one of our circuits going down or having a performance issue. It kept our network up, whereas our previous solution, even at the cost of it, had to fail over, and even when it failed over, there were manual things you had to do for the other issues, which caused the downtime.

You pay yearly based on the speed of your network. If you increase the speed of your network, you increase the cost for your throughput. It is by bandwidth for the most part and then licenses for VPN. There is some per-seat licensing for VPN access, but the majority of it is minimal. It is like $30 a year per client. The rest is based on how much bandwidth you'll use. You pay for that upfront for the year, and if you have to increase it, you increase it, and then they let you send more data through. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We looked at other SD-WAN solutions, such as Fellow Cloud, Palo Alto, and Cisco. There were a couple more in there. Price, capability, and ease of deployment and management made us go for Cato Networks.

What other advice do I have?

It is worth looking at for a small to medium size environment, but it has got to fit your situation. We don't use it for what it was really made to do. It just has one feature that affects us, so we use it for that. In all honesty, it is not something that we are really using to its full potential.

I would rate Cato Networks an eight out of ten. It is fairly new, so there are some things that it should do, and they're working on it.

IT Manager / Project Coordinator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    Integrates well with everything, technical support is very helpful, and it is all managed from a single pane of glass
    • "It's a cloud-based solution that integrates well with everything."
    • "I would like to see better integration with identity providers."

What is our primary use case?

It's a network device that is used for WAN optimization and security.

What is most valuable?

It's a cloud-based solution that integrates well with everything. They are the classic SaaS solution.

We don't need to have a static IP from our provider, which saves us money.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with identity providers. Right now, they have Azure and they have Okta.

For directory synchronization they use LDAP, and it would be better if they moved away from this. My understanding is that they are already working on removing LDAP completely and using web-based authentication for the VPN users and other users. This is not something that is critical for me. I just set up the main services in Azure and use that. This is okay because we don't have a lot of remote users, perhaps 10 or 20 at the maximum, with VPN access. This may change in the future.

We are in the testing phase of this solution. I have been testing Cato Networks for one month.

During the testing period, there were no outages. Everything was smooth and worked well.

This is absolutely scalable, which was the reason we decided to go with Cato Networks.

Technical support is excellent. Even during our testing phase, they were able to set up at least three hours to walk me through and answer my questions.

They were knowledgeable and I would rate them a five out of five.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's easy to set up and we just connect to their network.

As we are still in the testing phase, we have not implemented it yet. There will be some implementation, but it's pretty basic. There is no complex setup like you would have with Versa for example. For the most part, it's plug and play.

There were some questions that I had to ask them, but for the most part, I set it up myself.

If you compare with VeloCloud, the price is the same or even cheaper. Also, they include all of the security features, unlike VeloCloud.

We had evaluated others such as VeloCloud and vScaler.

The advantage of Cato Networks is that they have integrated steps, such as SD-WAN plus Network Security, plus VCNA altogether, in one management pane of glass. It's one place to manage everything.

With VeloCloud it's SD-WAN, and there is no security. You would still have to get a dedicated endpoint like a firewall if you want added protection then it would be harder to manage it centrally.

vScaler can be integrated, but then it drives the price up significantly. Also, it's not an ideal solution.

One of the advantages of Cato is that they provide a static IP from their cloud and assign it to us. This is a service that comes with an additional cost, but it's cheap compared to if I get it from my service provider.

Now that the trial period is almost over, I have decided that I am going to go with Cato Networks.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into Cato is to consider their environment. If they have a scenario where it is 80% cloud-based and 20% internal traffic, then Cato is a good choice. If on the other hand, they have internal applications with a data center then other solutions may make more sense. For us, since we are fully cloud-based, it is a better choice.

In summary, it is easy to implement and easy to manage. That said, there are always ways to improve.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Cato Networks
    August 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Jordan Peters - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner/Managing Director at Infinity IT B.V.
    MSP
    Stable SASE platform suitable for large organizations with distributed teams
    • "Cato offers all the functionality found in other solution. The life cycle management is always very stable."
    • "Web application firewalling (WAF) is a feature we would like to have in this solution and does not exist yet."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of this solution and propose it to our clients. We combine it with vertical sockets in our office. We deploy the whole stack including capability, data leak prevention and CASB.

This solution is good for large organizations that have many people working around the world with many branches who want to combine policies and networks. Cato have a global presence that is increasing around the world.

There are less than two milliseconds of latency to the nearest pop. Cato have a back end connection to the grid that is very stable offers good performance.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to have more points of presence around the world. The bandwidth has also improved across different areas. This solution has offered us data leak prevention, CASB and a better dashboard.

Using this solution, we are able to drill down into security problems in a few clicks. We also use it for the IPsec connection with our clients that allows us to make the right policies that restricts access to certain users.

What is most valuable?

Cato offers all the functionality found in other solutions. The life cycle management is always very stable.

What needs improvement?

Web application firewalling (WAF) is a feature we would like to have in this solution.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. Cato have contracts with backend infrastructure. During COVID, there has been an exponential growth of VPN connections and related bandwidth. We have 25 people using this solution in our organisation and we support seven clients in the healthcare and offshore sectors. There are up to 5,000 people in each organization.

The customer service and support for this solution is really good although we have noticed that, due to their growth as a business, support is not as consistent. Sometimes you get a more junior person to assist and then it takes a little bit longer to get the right answer. I would rate their support a four and a half out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have previously used Cisco VPN and Fortinet VPN.

The initial setup and implementation is straightforward and can be done in a few hours.

When you compare Cato to normal firewalling and all the costs and effort to maintain changes, the return on investment can be seen in one year.

The pricing of this solution depends on what you need. It is based on bandwidth. You can opt for between 10 megabits to 10 gigabits per month, as well as select virtual sockets or physical sockets. A virtual socket is X1500 and can be extended to 500 megabits. Using these, you can have different levels of security.

What other advice do I have?

We have six environments and we integrate them with the directory services of Microsoft Azure. Authentication of credentials is done automatically, including for new employees. Maintenance is also done automatically.

This solution is very easy to implement and is very intuitive. When we do demos with our clients, they say, "Wow, is it that easy?" Cato offer a full package that can cover online, offline and whatever the customer needs.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customers but also resellers and implementers
    IT Operations Manager at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    A straightforward enterprise networking and security solution
    • "It's a pretty straightforward solution."
    • "The price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We have the sockets on-premise, some little small boxes that connect to the internet. You could have multiple providers connected to the socket, which connects over the internet to their ports. We use their infrastructure as a service.

The solution's primary use case is to have redundant ISP internet links and use their network for security purposes, ease of administration, and management. We use their firewall as a service too.

What is most valuable?

It's a pretty straightforward solution, and anything beyond that, we can easily contact support and have them maintain it for us. It does what it's supposed to do, and I like it.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. Because of the price, we are considering moving to Cisco Meraki. It's our understanding that we could accomplish the same thing for less money.

I've been using Cato Networks for about two years.

Cato Networks is stable. Everything is dependent on the bandwidth that comes from the ISP. Because we have multiple ISPs connected, if one is having an issue, the other connection isn't. We never really had any outages.

Based on what we have now, if we wanted more bandwidth, we would literally have to go to the internet provider for that. That's not really a Cato issue. Cato is, at best, the infrastructure, but you still need it from your ISP. If you under-subscribed, then you won't get the expected performance. You have to rightsize it depending on how many users are using it and all of that.

I believe in continuous improvement, but the challenges in the past, let's say we need to connect to a cloud service that you're not familiar with and we want to use Cato, we pretty much call support and tell them what we're trying to do. They bill us, and we pay for it. If you need additional network support from another vendor, we use a consultant between all parties to get the job done.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give technical support an eight.

We had Cisco ASA devices and firewalls. It had a lot of complexity, and you needed special technical skill sets on staff, which we didn't have. We just wanted a simpler solution to get the job done, and Cato provided it.

The initial setup is straightforward. If there's any complexity, usually they have some excellent support engineers on staff that we're able to work with, and they seem to make it seamless.

We use direct support from the vendor, and when we needed additional support, we had a consultant who specializes in Cisco.

Cato Networks seems more expensive than Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cato Networks an eight.

Greg Altman - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure Manager at Strike
    Useful remote worker VPN, centralized management, and simple on-boarding process
    • "The most valuable features of Cato Networks are the always-on VPN for remote workers and centralized management. Additionally, web filtering and antivirus are good."
    • "Cato Networks could improve their intrusion detection. There is not a lot in place."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cato Networks primarily to secure our connectivity between branch offices and remote workers.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to using Cato Networks we had to buy individual licenses for our remote users for VPN, and the VPN was not always-on, they had to remember to turn it on and remember to turn it off. When we went to Cato Networks it was an always-on automatic VPN, it reduced our help desk calls by about 10 percent.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Cato Networks are the always-on VPN for remote workers and centralized management. Additionally, web filtering and antivirus are good.

From a functional standpoint, the solution is very good. Their onboarding process is very good. The service just works out of the box.

What needs improvement?

Cato Networks could improve their intrusion detection. There is not a lot in place.

I have used Cato Networks within 12 months.

Cato Networks is stable, we have never had an issue.

The scalability of Cato Networks is very good. It can scale well.

We have approximately 75 people using this solution in my organization.

The biggest place where I see that the company can improve would be in their sales force because I get contacted by partners' ongoing trying to sell Cato Networks. I have had three different people from Cato that are trying to contact me close to every month. There's that lack of communication internally where we are having multiple people contacting us.

I rate the support from Cato Networks a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have previously used SonicWall, and Juniper NetScreen.

We switched to Cato Networks because of scalability, manageability, price, and security features.

The initial setup of Cato Networks is simple. The full deployment took us three months. However, we had to manage remote sites which took a long time for scheduling. Each site only took one hour to complete.

We did the implementation of Cato Networks in-house.

I am the only one who does the maintenance and support of Cato Networks in my organization.

We have seen a return on investment from using Cato Networks. Year over year our costs are down by approximately 10 or 15 percent for maintaining the inner branch network.

I rate the price of Cato Networks a four out of five.

We evaluated Cisco, Sophos, and Fortinet before choosing Cato Networks.

Cisco costs too much, Fortinet didn't scale easily, and Sophos wasn't robust enough and this is why we chose Cato Networks.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cato Networks a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    CTO at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    Stable, easy to setup, the support is good, and it gives you higher internet bandwidth
    • "The feature that I find to be the most valuable is the bandwidth aggregation."
    • "They can't do one-to-one NAT (Network Address Translation) in AP (their access point), and that is something that Palo Alto can do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to replace the routers we have and to combine the various ISP into one trunk.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us higher internet bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find to be the most valuable is the bandwidth aggregation.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a few months.

We are using the most current version. It's a SAAS solution.

Cato Networks is stable.

It seems to be scalable, but we are a small company. Everyone in the company uses it. We are using their VPN for everyone who is working at home. All of the internet traffic is flowing through it. We have 175 people int total.

The technical support is very good. I would rate them a nine or ten out of ten.

They have been quite good for us.

Previously, we were using Palo Alto.

We switched from Palo Alto because the renewal costs were getting expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a cloud solution. It has local hardware, but it's a could solution.

If it's a good use case for you, then it's a good solution. Cato Networks seems to do everything we wanted it to do.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Yeong-Gi Lee - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network engineer at Snetsystems
    Reseller
    Stable and easy to set up with good technical support

What is most valuable?

The security is okay.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

Technical support was always helpful and responsive.

The integration capabilities are not a problem at all.

What needs improvement?

We would like the product to continue to improve its security.

While we are not using the solution currently, we recently used it, and have used it in the last 12 months.

The stability was good. I cannot recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It didn't crash or freeze. The performance was reliable.

We have found the scalability of the solution to be good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's not a problem at all.

We found the technical support to be good. they were helpful if we had questions. We were satisfied with the level of support.

The initial setup was not complex or difficult at all. It was straightforward. We found the implementation to be very easy to handle.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller of the product.

I would recommend this product to others.

I'd rate the solution, overall, at a seven out of ten. If the security on offer was better, I would rate it higher.

Account Management Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Setup is fast and straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We use Cato Networks inside our company for VPN connections to different company servers when we are working from home.

What needs improvement?

Cato Networks security could be better.

I've used Cato Networks for about two years.

Cato Networks works. I haven't had any trouble, and practically forget that I'm using it.

I'm using just a small part of Cato, so I cannot tell you anything about scalability.

I have not used Cato support.

Setting up Cato Networks was straightforward. There were no issues. Installation took a couple of minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cato Networks 10 out of 10. It's a good product.

Download our free Cato Networks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022