We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Mohamed Helmy
IT Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Beneficial application awareness, low maintenance, and user-friendly
  • "The most valuable feature of Veeam Backup Replication is application awareness. Additionally, the solution is user-friendly and it has been working very well."
  • "The implementation was straightforward. However, we used an integrator, the process could be easier for us to do it ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup Replication for many purposes, such as emails incidents with our users, full email retrieval, or registration. Additionally, I have restored virtual machines, entire working servers, SQL servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Veeam Backup Replication is application awareness. Additionally, the solution is user-friendly and it has been working very well.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

I have found Veeam Backup Replication scalable.

We have approximately 300 users using the solution.

We previously used Symantec Backup Exec. As we moved forward from the physical environment to the virtual environment, we changed products to Veeam Backup Replication. We found that Veeam Backup Replication was the most usable, and fit our companies use case scenario best.

We had a system integrator that implemented the whole solution for us.

The solution does not need a lot of maintenance, the upgraders do not interfere with our systems very much.

We are satisfied with Veeam Backup Replication. It is a safeguard for our daily work and our environment. It has given us a substantial return on investment.

We are on an annual license for Veeam Backup Replication. We could expand or upgrade the license for the Office365 features. Next year we might go to a three-year plan for support on license.

What other advice do I have?

In the next year, we will move to Office365 and could use the cloud features. We will upgrade our license and check the new features of Veeam Backup Replication.

I rate Veeam Backup Replication a nine out of ten.

Johnny Öhlund
IT Technician at Sherpas Group
Reseller
Excellent technical support, easy to set up, and very reliable
  • "It's the most easy-to-use backup replication that I have used so far."
  • "We're using both Backup and Replication, Veeam Cloud Connect, and Veeam Office 365. What I am missing is a good graphical user interface between these three products."

What is our primary use case?

We have, I'd say, about 20 different customers running Veeam and sending backups to our hosting center. We also have our own hosting environment with about 200 servers, which we are backing up with Veeam Backup and Replication.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable and absolutely reliable.

It's the most easy-to-use backup replication that I have used so far.

I've found that the scalability is fine.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

We're using both Backup and Replication, Veeam Cloud Connect, and Veeam Office 365. What I am missing is a good graphical user interface between these three products. It's something that they need to figure out. I'd like the three versions streamlined so they fit together better, as, right now, they are very different.

We've been selling the solution for three or four years or something like that.

The solution is reliable and the performance is good. We find it to be stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Scalability is possible with this solution. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have 50 customers that pay for this solution right now.

Technical support is helpful and responsive. they are very knowledgeable and friendly. We are very satisfied with the level of support on offer. They really try their best to resolve issues.

The solution is simple and straightforward.

I cannot recall how long it took to actually deploy the product.

We have three managers that can handle the deployment and maintenance aspects of the product.

We pay for licensing and have a monthly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Administrator at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easily leverages backups for replication purposes
  • "The features I find most valuable are probably the VMware snapshot backups and the Veeam replication. Their replication is very good. It can easily be used for disaster recovery in a number of situations."
  • "They need a better solution for backend storage."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for Veeam Backup & Replication is for enterprise backups and replication.

It's used pretty heavily by us.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable are probably the VMware snapshot backups and the Veeam replication. Their replication is very good.

It can easily be used for disaster recovery in a number of situations.

I don't know how it would compare to Zerto, for example, but considering that it can leverage backups for replication purposes, this makes it superior to either a backup product or a replication product. The fact that you can mix and match, for example, you can replicate off of a backup or off of a backup copy somewhere else, or off of the source machine directly, makes it superior for me.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, they need a better solution for backend storage. Other backup products that I've used, like Commvault, have at least a disc based backup. If you don't have a D duplicating appliance, like Commvault who has its own duplication engine, it's doing its best to duplicate data going into the repository. Veeam is not very good at that. There is some level of data reduction, but it's not much. So if your backup targets don't have a good D duplication data reduction, it's a problem because you just create massive amounts of data on the backend.

I like that you can use any kind of disc target and you can use any kind of high speed fiber channel as backend.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would say that Veeam Backup & Replication is one of the best, so I'd probably give it a nine. There is not one perfect backup product and I think one of the challenges with Veeam is the lack of clients. Meaning, we have certain older systems that there is no Veeam client for, and there's no incentive for Veeam to make the client for it. But it does VMware backups very well.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a paper AND forest products with 501-1,000 employees
I can really trust the virtual machine backup

What is our primary use case?

We replicate data between servers on our site and we back up to external media, which we take offsite.

How has it helped my organization?

It really helps secure our data.

What is most valuable?

It does a pretty good job of what we ask it to. What I find most valuable is probably the virtual machine backup. I can really trust those copies.

What needs improvement?

Their licensing model could use some improvement. In the version we're using, they license per core and up to six cores, so you can't use the one for small business anymore. You have to upgrade to the enterprise carry-on, it's a bit ridiculous.

I'd like to see more flexible licensing or to be consumed as a service.

I've been using this solution for five years now.

It's very stable.

It is very scalable. Just my only issue is from a licensing perspective. If you want to add more servers, they push you up into a much more expensive licensing tier. Technically it's very scalable; financially, it's not that scalable.

The product is so good that I haven't had to call support.

In the global scheme of things, it's pretty inexpensive software as far as what we spend per year. If you factor in hardware and all sorts of other things, it's probably a good value for your money.

There are no additional costs other than the standard licensing fee per year. It's pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

i give this solution a nine out of ten. I think it's a good product for small to medium businesses. It serves our needs. Unless your needs are very particular, it probably covers most use cases.

IT Technician at Thaba Chweu
Allows recovery almost immediately while enabling you to continue fixing the problem of the affected machine
  • "In Veeam backup, the most valuable feature for me is the recovery. It allows me to recover almost immediately while I continue fixing the problem of the affected machine."
  • "I would like to see the licensing model improved. They have recently changed the model and have made it more complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for replication purposes. It makes recovery simple and we can also have a dummy recovery in order to show auditors and our superiors that our backup software really works.

What is most valuable?

In Veeam backup, the most valuable feature for me is the recovery. It allows me to recover almost immediately while I continue fixing the problem of the affected machine.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the licensing model improved. They have recently changed the model and have made it more complicated.

I've been using Veeam since 2016. I'm currently on Veeam ONE version 11. The solution is deployed on-prem.

The product doesn't require any specific maintenance. In our company, there are currently 10 people working with Veeam backup.

The solution is stable. The performance is all right. When you are using VMware hypervisor, it sometimes has minor issues, but they are not something to tell home about.

The solution is extremely scalable.

Technical support really went out of the way to assist me. They even came to our offices to help us out with the issue we were experiencing at the time.

We previously used the Symantec product, but it wasn't up to standard. We switched to Veeam because of its ease of use.

It's simple. It's a straightforward process.

Installation was done internally by our team. Deployment took about three hours

The solution is expensive, but it's value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is to watch the admin videos available on the Veeam website.

Daniel Aramayo
Implementation and Support Engineer at PRACSO S.R.L.
An easy-to-manage, stable, and scalable solution for disaster recovery and instant VM recovery
  • "The instant VM recovery feature is the most valuable. It is a very good tool for disaster recovery. It is also easy to manage."
  • "Its licensing needs to be improved. Its licensing has become complex since last December. They have changed the way the product is licensed, and there is a lot of confusion. Sometimes, when a new version comes, it seems that it has not been tested enough because I usually find some bugs in it. It could also have more integration with other virtualization products, such as desktop virtualization products and open-source virtualization products."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for backup. We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It protects us from losing data and having downtime.

What is most valuable?

The instant VM recovery feature is the most valuable. It is a very good tool for disaster recovery. It is also easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing needs to be improved. Its licensing has become complex since last December. They have changed the way the product is licensed, and there is a lot of confusion.

Sometimes, when a new version comes, it seems that it has not been tested enough because I usually find some bugs in it.

It could also have more integration with other virtualization products, such as desktop virtualization products and open-source virtualization products.

I have been using this product for three years.

It is pretty stable.

Its scalability is great. It offers a lot of options from the scalability point of view.

We have many users of this solution. Most of the workers are using this solution for backup.
We use it daily, and we are planning to keep using this solution.

Their technical support is really good. Their responses are quick enough, and they are knowledgeable about the solution.

We didn't use any other product.

Its initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took me about four hours to implement everything and configure everything. You just need one administrator for its deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate any other product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. It is a very good product.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

Anwar Haq
Sr. Solution Architect at Multilynx
Reseller
Responsive technical support, straightforward installation, and reliable
  • "My customers find the backup and recovery ease of use is the most beneficial feature."
  • "The recovery and integration features of Veeam Backup Replication could improve. For example, all VM integration could improve, such as with Hyper-V and VMware."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam Backup Replication is used by my clients as a backup and recovery solution.

What is most valuable?

My customers find the backup and recovery ease of use is the most beneficial feature.

What needs improvement?

The recovery and integration features of Veeam Backup Replication could improve. For example, all VM integration could improve, such as with Hyper-V and VMware.

There is not any kind of archiving feature that is provided and in a future release, there should be an archiving feature in this platform. They would be better able to compete with the other archiving solution. In the current scenario, if the customer wants to have an archiving feature, they will have to purchase another solution because we cannot have this archiving feature with Veeam Backup Replication.

I have been using Veeam Backup Replication for approximately five years.

Veeam Backup Replication has been stable.

The scalability of Veeam Backup Replication is good.

The technical support is good and responsive.

I have used Commvault.

The initial installation is quite easy and not very cumbersome. It's easy if you have a basic understanding of the architecture of the Veeam.

The subscription-based pricing of Veeam Backup Replication is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

The solution that we recommend more often depends on the use case. If there are other use cases that include bare metal recovery and archiving features then I would recommend another product, such as Commvault.

I would advise before implementing a solution such as Veeam Backup Replication that you have the training and skillset before implementation. This allows for proper implementation, best practices, and stability. It is helpful to have someone that is certified.

I rate Veeam Backup Replication an eight out of ten.

Abbey Matlala
Managing Director at Matlala Group
Reseller
They started their cloud journey a lot sooner than other solutions
  • "I like how Veeam intuitively integrates with Zerto."
  • "Restoration takes about two to four hours with Veeam. Zerto can restore in about 10 seconds. That's the restoration speed I'm looking for now that we're dealing with ransomware."

What is most valuable?

I like how Veeam intuitively integrates with Zerto. They started on their cloud journey a lot sooner than other backup software, and Veeam has a lower footprint on your Commvault.

What needs improvement?

Restoration takes about two to four hours with Veeam. Zerto can restore in about 10 seconds. That's the restoration speed I'm looking for now that we're dealing with ransomware. This is one area where Zerto has an edge on Veeam.  However, both are easy to use.

The only thing I would like to see from Veeam is a calculator for estimating the costs on all the different cloud providers. I don't think any product has this. So if I go into Azure versus AWS, it would be nice to have some way to calculate what I will end up paying.

One thing I've noticed is that both cloud providers will say it's going to cost you X amount to do a backup, and it's simple to compare costs between them. But if you want to do a site recovery, it will cost more to start up all the servers you were backing up in that cloud. Even though one cloud provider might save you money on backup, your total costs will be higher when you factor in restoration. I want the transparency to say Azure is more cost-effective than AWS for backup, but Azure will cost you 2 percent more than the other one to provide that visibility to my client.

I've been using Veeam Backup for about 10 years.

For traditional environments with physical servers, Veeam isn't as great as combos or traditional backup systems like TSM. However, if you are looking at virtualization or shifting to the cloud, Veeam is stable and quite progressive in those spaces.

Veeam's support is international and quite responsive.

What other advice do I have?

I give Veeam Backup Replication eight out of 10.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.