IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell NetWorker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell NetWorker is #14 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell NetWorker an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell NetWorker is most commonly compared to Dell Avamar: Dell NetWorker vs Dell Avamar. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Dell NetWorker?
EMC NetWorker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across your IT environment. NetWorker delivers record-breaking performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard your critical business data.

Dell NetWorker was previously known as NetWorker.

Dell NetWorker Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell NetWorker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Dell NetWorker Customers
Secure-24, Riverside Health System, Shriners, Panatonni, Qatar Islamic Bank, Eurosport
Dell NetWorker Video

Dell NetWorker Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell NetWorker pricing:
  • "It is not very expensive and not very cheap."
  • "Pricing is cheaper for this product, compared to its competitors."
  • "It is excellent from the pricing point of view. It is free with Data Protection Suite. Similarly, when you purchase Avamar, Dell EMC NetWorker is free with one terabyte license capacity. Its price is very competitive."
  • "If you purchase Avamar, NetWorker is free with Avamar, for one terabyte license capacity."
  • "The licensing model can be traditional licensing or capacity-based licensing."
  • Dell NetWorker Reviews

Consultant, Backup Systems at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly GUI and fast support, but container support should be improved
    • "The GUI is user-friendly."
    • "The process of upgrading versions should be improved because as it is now, you have to completely uninstall the old version first, and then install the new version."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases are file system backup, endpoint backup, and virtualization backups. We are using it with Quantum and Dell Data Domain.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is user-friendly. The performance is improving. It used to be that NetWorker's performance was not very good but after integration with Data Domain, and after they switched to a quality-based network solution, the performance increased. Over the past five to six years, the speed that NetWorker connects between networks and servers has improved. It used to take a long time. We are using DD Boost and it is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The integration of the web API should be improved. There has been new functionality added to the API but it should be easier to understand. The Backup module should be improved, especially the functionality for SharePoint and SQL Server. We are having issues when we are trying to backup up Microsoft applications, and it happens when the data is very large. For example, our database is 19 terabytes and this is very large for NetWorker, so it runs slowly. We are not able to tune it and segment it. If it were a file system, then we could split it into smaller pieces. In cases like this, it is very fast. However, because we are not able to divide it, the backup is slow. This is one area that can be improved because often, people don't need to take a full backup. Sometimes, then just want a snapshot of some data. The capability of incremental backups should be included. As it is now, when DD Boost tries to compare the current backup with the previous one, it has trouble with the large versions and it can take three to four days. They cannot perform an incremental backup using VSS technology for SharePoint or MS SQL Server. Definitely, backup for Microsoft applications needs to be improved. They should improve the support for backing up containers. The process of upgrading versions should be improved because as it is now, you have to completely uninstall the old version first, and then install the new version. If we compare this to another product, like Veritas NetBackup, it also has good features but when you upgrade to the latest version, everything is automatic. I would like to see better cloud integration, such as with AWS or Azure.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker since 2007.
    Dell NetWorker
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Dell NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I am not in the operations team right now, but my impression is that it's stable.

It is easy to scale and I have not found any issue in doing so. However, there can be issues when a proper sizing tool hasn't been used. We have had trouble with giving requirements based on what the sizing tool reports. We have approximately 100 people user NetWorker and supporting the customers.

The technical support from Dell is very good and very fast. We have a very good collaboration with Dell, and we are one of the valued partners. I have been dealing with issues related to one of the solutions that we have provided. One of the ones in the past two months is that the SharePoint Backup was supposed to be done using the Microsoft SQL Server writer. They do not support the third-party's product, which is fine, but it's an accountability issue. Ultimately, I don't think that they do all of the investigations properly.

We are currently using EMC Avamar in addition to NetWorker. I have also worked with Commvault and Veeam, and the integration with virtualization is better with these products. They also support backup using VPN, which is something that NetWorker lacks. I cannot name a feature that NetWorker has that you don't find in other products. There are, however, features lacking in NetWorker that do exist in other products. They need to keep pace with the ongoing requirements that are in the market.

I have been working with this product for a long time, so I find the installation very easy. This is also an area that has improved over time, as it has because easier than it used to be. The length of time required for deployment varies between environments. Recently, I deployed it and it took approximately 20 minutes end-to-end, with configuration.

We deploy with our in-house team. Our operations team is responsible for maintenance.

The pricing for NetWorker is in the mid-range. It is not very expensive and not very cheap. There are some extra features that required an additional license. For example, we save a separate data protection suite (DPS) license.

I have been evaluating EMC PowerProtect to compare the performance of it with EMC NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

For a file system backup or one that is on disk or in a tape library, or for virtualization, I recommend using NetWorker. I say this because of ease of deployment, ease of use, and the user-friendly GUI.  I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Systems Administrator Team Leader at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Duplication ratios and compression are very high but it is not compatible with other cloud environments
    • "There are no problems in terms of stability."
    • "They need to be compatible with the cloud because EMC NetWorker cannot compete with other products at the moment. EMC focuses only on their own cloud and do not take into consideration other cloud vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We have everything - we have Oracle databases, SQL databases, Windows platforms, Linux platforms, Exchange Servers. We have many servers along with several different storages. This is a very big group with a variety of systems.

What is most valuable?

Although Dell EMC NetWorker is a little bit more complex to combine with other products, it is really a very strong product. It became stronger when we started doing backups to disks instead of to data simulators when we import the Data Domain. The solution became stronger because the backup to disks is faster and the duplication ratios and compression are very high so it will save lots of space at this storage size. The granularity of the Exchange Servers is very good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, they need to be compatible with the cloud because EMC NetWorker cannot compete with other products at the moment. The other products like Veeam and Commvault are more flexible and are more compatible with other cloud vendors. EMC cannot do the same thing. EMC focuses only on their own cloud and do not take into consideration other cloud vendors.

I started using Dell EMC NetWorker in 2012.

It's stable. It is very, very stable software.

There are no problems in terms of stability. But as I said, the configuration, the deployment, etc... are more complex when you compare to the other products. That's the only thing. But from a stability point of view, it is very stable.

In terms of scalability, unfortunately, we were unable to upgrade the EMC NetWorker. We're still on version 8.1. So I have no idea of the capabilities of the latest release in terms of scalability. But for sure, when you compare to other products, EMC NetWorker will not be able to compete because other products are more agile and more compatible with many cloud vendors. They need to put more effort into that.

Despite it being more complex, it is a very powerful solution but still requires effort so that users can have good access to it. I cannot see people choosing EMC Networker. At the moment everybody chooses to go for Veeam and Commvault. At the moment everybody is waiting for BIM to go to Commvault. I've been in a deep study of the previous one and backup solutions, and I met many people and everybody prefers to go with Commvault or Veeam. I didn't see anybody preferring to go with EMC NetWorker.

The initial setup is complex. It requires a long brainstorming because you need to consider servers, storages, storage nodes, client servers, and the main backup server. It's quite complex. Brainstorming and designing will take time. You need the full verification and sometimes more than that if you have many servers where you need to install the client.

In order to implement, a consultant is needed. Without that, you cannot do it yourself. You can do it but there is a risk. So it's better to have another person.

In terms of pricing, yes, of course, EMC is cheaper. Commvault is more expensive. Maybe with the latest release, EMC Networker became more expensive, but I have no idea about the latest prices from EMC. Whatever we spent on EMC NetWorker was far cheaper.

What I've seen is renewal prices. Maybe the price of the implementation would be more expensive. But, at least from what I've seen, Commvault is more expensive than EMC NetWorker.

There are some main differences between Commvault and NetWorker and a lot of people prefer Commvault. First of all, worldwide ranking. If you look at the ranking starting from 2017 until today, you will find Commvault is always ranked first of second. EMC is not at those levels. Whenever you want to buy a backup solution, you need to look at the worldwide ranking. You need to conduct customer feedback. This is the first main difference between EMC NetWorker and Commvault. The second thing is their architecture, which is easier with Commvault. Commvault is easier to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Dell EMC NetWorker a seven.

They need to allow EMC NetWorker to be more agile and flexible with other cloud vendors. It has to come into the cloud arena because now everybody's talking cloud. They shouldn't be only restricted to on-premise. Everybody now is talking cloud, so it has to talk the latest language in IT. You need to make it more compatible with cloud vendors. When you talk about Commvault, it is very compatible with many cloud vendors like AWS. But you do not see the same thing with EMC NetWorker. They need to work on this point.

I would not hesitate to go to Commvault. Undoubtedly, Commvault is better. It is the best. If somebody would ask me which one to choose between EMC or Commvault, I would not hesitate to say go for Commvault rather than for EMC NetWorker.

Dell NetWorker
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Service Delivery Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to scale and set up, but has multiple bugs and issues with reporting and support
    • "The backup feature for this product is good. It is easy to set up and easy to scale."
    • "Reporting and support for this product need to be improved. There are multiple bugs that need to be fixed."

What is our primary use case?

I've been using this solution for backups and restoration.

What is most valuable?

Backup reliability for this solution is fine. It's good.

What needs improvement?

Dell EMC NetWorker is still not mature, compared to its competitors. For example: the TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) of IBM is very accurate in error logs, and it is very rare to get failure alerts when using the TSM. It's fast and reliable which I didn't see from Dell EMC NetWorker. Another example is the Veritas which I also have experience with. Though Veritas is lower in level compared to the TSM, Veritas is more user-friendly than the TSM.

All features for Dell EMC NetWorker are good, but they are not something to be happy about.

Sometimes this solution shows some errors, e.g. related to open files. It is based on Java, which is very bad. There's so many issues not reflecting what's really happening in the background.

Reporting is very bad in Dell EMC NetWorker. It's also very difficult to get whatever you need based on the backup time duration.

Dell EMC NetWorker has so many versions in a short span of time, which contain a lot of bugs that need to be fixed because each upgrade has its own issues. For every new update of this solution, bugs get fixed, but something new, e.g. a new bug comes up in each version which needs to be fixed.

I've been using Dell EMC NetWorker for four years.

This solution is 95% stable.

This solution is scalable. It's easy to scale. The only thing that matters in terms of scalability is the storage for the data domain, e.g. adding the disk and another unit, and that's it.

Support, especially from the Middle East region, is very bad. Sometimes support is good, but it's usually bad.

Setting up Dell EMC NetWorker is not complex. The setup was straightforward.

We implemented this solution internally, with guidance from the Dell team.

The price for this solution is cheaper than other products. The price is the only reason we are renewing, otherwise we'll be moving to Veeam.

I evaluated IBM TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) and Veritas.

What other advice do I have?

We deployed Dell EMC NetWorker to 300 machines. It took us six to seven months to stabilize all issues during the upgrade and complete the deployment.

We only did maintenance for the upgrade and for versions such as the kernel, or the code slash code upgrade, or the version of the software. No major maintenance was needed for this solution.

There are two users in our company working with Dell EMC NetWorker. The backup is a daily process, while administration is not done on a daily basis. For checking and reviewing errors and failures, this solution is used daily.

Usage will depend on the company: how much activity they have and the types of activity they have, e.g. registration or development through IT.

The main reasons we're thinking of switching from Dell EMC NetWorker to another product include the reporting, support, and the bugs. There are so many issues we find annoying which require additional resources.

My advice to people looking into implementing this solution is that for big environments, it's so complicated. For example, for a clustered environment, you have a clustered environment for Oracle RAC, where you have so many firewalls in between, but Dell EMC NetWorker is not mature enough to handle that kind of environment and setup. Oracle RAC works well in big environments, but not this solution. Dell EMC NetWorker would be good for smaller environments where it won't be heavily used. We are an airline company with 300 machines, but we're not comparable to a big company like Google.

My rating for Dell EMC NetWorker is a seven out of ten.

Sufyan Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at New Horizon Computers
    A solid backup software with a wide spectrum of plugins, but not easy to understand and deploy
    • "The best feature of Dell EMC NetWorker is its wide spectrum of available plugins for each and every software that you can back up, such as SAP HANA, Oracle, AXI-based machines, or Dell-based machines. Whatever you want to back up, you can do it with Dell EMC NetWorker. It is a very solid backup software. It is the oldest backup software from EMC, and it comes from Dell EMC's legacy."
    • "It is not easy to understand and deploy. It is complex in nature. Simplicity is not there. When we deploy it, the customer always needs some training from us. To make it user friendly, there should be one agent that can be used to back up every product. Dell EMC NetWorker uses so many user agents. In PowerProtect Data Manager, you can just install its VM, import that VM into vCenter, and you can start to do backups directly from vCenter. However, in Dell EMC NetWorker, you always need one server, and from that server, you need to initiate all backups. You must know the interface and the CLI. It is not user friendly. It would be a great feature if we can deploy Dell EMC NetWorker on a virtual machine, like Avamar. The additional features that are required in Dell EMC NetWorker are already available in PowerProtect Data Manager and Avamar. Therefore, there is no need to enhance Dell EMC NetWorker. It would be better if they can just rename it to PowerProtect Data Manager or Avamar."

What is our primary use case?

I am a business partner of Dell EMC. For POC purposes, we deploy and use it on-premises to get an overview of each and every feature of Dell EMC NetWorker.

We use Dell EMC NetWorker for physical workload as well as virtual workload. We have deployed it on-premises as well as on the cloud for our clients. We have deployed it for a number of projects, and we are completely satisfied with it.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Dell EMC NetWorker is its wide spectrum of available plugins for each and every software that you can back up, such as SAP HANA, Oracle, AXI-based machines, or Dell-based machines. Whatever you want to back up, you can do it with Dell EMC NetWorker. It is a very solid backup software. It is the oldest backup software from EMC, and it comes from Dell EMC's legacy.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to understand and deploy. It is complex in nature. Simplicity is not there. When we deploy it, the customer always needs some training from us. To make it user friendly, there should be one agent that can be used to back up every product. Dell EMC NetWorker uses so many user agents. In PowerProtect Data Manager, you can just install its VM, import that VM into vCenter, and you can start to do backups directly from vCenter. However, in Dell EMC NetWorker, you always need one server, and from that server, you need to initiate all backups. You must know the interface and the CLI. It is not user friendly.

It would be a great feature if we can deploy Dell EMC NetWorker on a virtual machine, like Avamar. The additional features that are required in Dell EMC NetWorker are already available in PowerProtect Data Manager and Avamar. Therefore, there is no need to enhance Dell EMC NetWorker. It would be better if they can just rename it to PowerProtect Data Manager or Avamar.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for more than six years.

It is stable.

It always provides you ethical backup. When you reach your maximum license capability, it never stops you from doing your backups. This is a caring feature of this solution that I always liked.

When you get a license for one terabyte, you can back up 100 terabytes of data. They never stop you from doing that ethically. We always need to follow the ethics of any software. Customers in Pakistan are using over commercial licenses, and they are happy with this feature.

It is excellent from the pricing point of view. It is free with Data Protection Suite. Similarly, when you purchase Avamar, Dell EMC NetWorker is free with one terabyte license capacity. Its price is very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We have deployed this solution for many companies and for every kind of company, such as banks, logistics companies. One of the biggest companies in Pakistan is using Dell EMC NetWorker since 2015, and they are very happy with it. Another company with a big data center is using this solution since 2016, and they are also happy. There is no challenge in adapting and having this solution in your environment.

Dell EMC NetWorker is a very good software for physical workloads and virtual workloads. It is known for certain features. PowerProtect Data Manager is a next-generation backup software. It also provides you the simplicity and ease of use. It is not complex. I always recommend using the latest backup software. I would first recommend PowerProtect Data Manager. Avamar would be number two, and Dell EMC NetWorker would be number three.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Sufyan Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at New Horizon Computers
    Feature-rich with a wide spectrum of additional plugins, but it's complex in nature and not easy to deploy
    • "When you reach out to your maximum license availability, or you exceed your license limit, NetWorker never stops doing your backups."
    • "It's complex in nature."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and provide NetWorker for our end-users, our customers.

For POC purposes, we use it on our premises. Also, to have an overview of each and every kind of NetWorker.

We have a number of projects that we supply Networker for and we are completely satisfied with it. We use NetWorker to serve both workload types; a physical workload, and a virtual workload.

What is most valuable?

Dell EMC NetWorker is a very solid Backup software. It is the oldest backup software from EMC. It comes from Dell EMC's legacy.

The most valuable feature of NetWorker is the wide spectrum of available plugins for each and every software you can back up. For example, SAP, SAP S/4HANA, Oracle, and AIX.

Networker is very good backup software. It always provides you with incremental backups.

When you reach out to your maximum license availability, or you exceed your license limit, NetWorker never stops doing your backups.

With one terabyte of a license, you can back up a hundred terabytes of data back up. They never stop doing that. We always need to follow a fixed software but some customers have an overcapacity license, and they are happy about this feature.

It has a rich set of features.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to understand.

It's not easy to deploy.

It's complex in nature.

When it's deployed, the customers always need to have training from us. In order to make it user-friendly, there is an agent that can be used to back up every product.

Networker users many agents, and just like Powerprotect Data Manager, you can install its VM to import the VM into vCenter, and from Center, you can start your backups.

With NetWorker, you always need to have one server, and from that server, you need to initiate all backups.

You will need to know the interface and NetWorker CLI.

It's not user-friendly.

If NetWorker could be deployed on a virtual machine, similar to Avamar, that would be a great feature.

The features that are required in NetWorker are available in PowerProtect and Avamar. There is no need to enhance Networker, they just need to rename it to PPDM or Avamar. That would be better.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for six years, since 2014.

This product is stable. Our customers have never experienced any issues.

Dell EMC NetWorker is scalable.

We have many different companies that we deal with, some are banks, using Networker. One of the largest companies in Pakistan has been using this solution since 2015. Another client with a big data center has been using it since 2016. We have many other vendors who are happy with this solution.

The NetWorker price point is excellent. When you purchase the Data Protection Suite, NetWorker is free with that suite. If you purchase Avamar, NetWorker is free with Avamar, for one terabyte license capacity.

NetWorker is very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

NetWorker is a good product.

There is no challenge in having NetWorker in your environment.

Powerprotect Data manager is the next generation backup software. I would recommend using the latest backup software suite.

NetWorker is also a very good backup software, for physical or virtual workloads. People know the features that NetWorker is providing.

If I had to choose one, I would go with Powerprotect. It provides simplicity and ease of use. It is not complex. Second I would recommend Avamar, then it would be Networker.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sr. Area Technical Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good GUI, easy to manage and configure, but the support does not resolve issues
    • "The GUI is the best feature. It's very good and easy to use."
    • "Support is definitely an area of concern because of the time it takes to resolve our issues."

What is most valuable?

The GUI is the best feature. It's very good and easy to use.

It is very easy to manage and easy to configure the backup.

What needs improvement?

We are having some issues with some of the features. For example, the reporting, or the display of current licensing on the portal need improvement.

The reporting is not to our satisfaction and our main area of concern. It doesn't provide any form of analysis.

There is a delay in the offering from Dell.

Support is definitely an area of concern because of the time it takes to resolve our issues. We should not have to wait long periods of time to have issues resolved. When a complaint is logged the issue should be resolved within a reasonable amount of time.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for 20 years.

We are currently working with version 19.0.

Version 19 has been stable, but there were several versions in between that had some issues, such as versions five, eight, and nine. In addition to the stability issues, there were some concerns with the performance.

Scalability for us is limited because we are using this solution for system backup. and not beyond that. We don't have any cloud, and we do not have any snapshot; it is simply a file system backup.

We have not yet explored scalability. Our requirement is a very basic one.

We have contacted technical support for the issues that we are facing with some of the features and their response to us was that they are faced with some delays in resolving these issues. This is the reason that we are exploring other backup solutions.

We have several cases that are pending and have been for a very long time.

Support from Dell needs improvement. We are not getting the type of response that we were expecting from Dell.

The responses we have received from Dell have not been encouraging.

The initial setup is not an issue, it can be installed easily.

We have a total of 35 servers, that were installed individually.

The licensing model can be traditional licensing or capacity-based licensing. We have traditional licensing rather than capacity-based because of our long history.

We are currently evaluating other products as we would like to replace Dell EMC NetWorker with another backup software. We would like to carry out some PoCs to see which is the best. Feature-wise, we would like to know which is the best on the market.

We are also evaluating other products to see which features this solution is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but if asked specifically about the support then I would not recommend this solution's support.

As far as performance is concerned, and the working functionality point of view, definitely it is a good solution.

We have also used this solution for the last 20 years. Definitely, there is a level of comfort.

However, as of late, maybe when Dell had taken over from EMC, we have noticed there is an issue as far as support is concerned. We are not getting good support, which is what we are supposed to get from them, especially since we have been long-standing customers of EMC NetWorker. Regardless of what we were supposed to get, we are not getting it.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Presales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Stable with a long life span and okay scalability
    • "The solution has a longer lifespan."
    • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup systems at the company. Ther is also a secondary use case whereby if our customers have this software, we can supplement it.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a longer lifespan. The customer doesn't have to change their solution and upgrade every four years. It's much better for the customer to have a stable piece of software that has a lifespan of maybe ten years or more.

What needs improvement?

The scaling can be difficult when updates are involved.

Sometimes the systems come in faster than a producer of the software can react to the new features.

The solution should have better access to Linux or virtual systems of files based on Linux. It doesn't matter if it is a hard installation or only a virtual installation. Sometimes the client doesn't need a backup of the whole system and only needs a handful of files.

The initial setup is complex.

Technical support should be more accessible.

While the company may have been using the solution for ten or more years, I'm new to the organization. I don't have as much experience with it.

The solution offers excellent long-term stability. The product doesn't have a short lifespan, meaning clients can use it and rely on it for ten to 15 years or so. It helps with continuity.

While it might be scalable, every day we see some new operating systems and some new updates, and so on. Occasionally, there is a problem with these new one updates, due to the fact that something is changed in some settings in the new system. Therefore, when you use the old settings for such a backup, sometimes it doesn't work normally. You need to go back and recalibrate.

Technical support is okay. They often have patches and other solutions that can help resolve issues. However, sometimes they are not accessible. It's a big problem.

The initial implementation is not straightforward. It's a bit complex. I wouldn't say the process is easy. You have to create a map of the main points and storage. There are three levels of the agents. While it's easy to use for the customer, setting it up is a bit tricky.

It may be helpful to get the help of an integrator during the implementation process.

While it's my understanding that the solution is a bit expensive, I'm not in sales and therefore can't really comment on actual costs. I can't compare it to other options on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We are an authorized service provider of Dell.

The company is working on a hybrid cloud solution currently.

In general, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it offered better access to Linux or virtual systems of files based on Linux, it would be perfect.

I'd advise potential new users to take a look at the product if they are looking for a long-term solution. It is not software for one year. It is likely something that can be used for five or more years. That is why it is better to really research and compare to see if it really is needed as it's a bit hard to install it. And, once implemented, it's likely going to be hard to change.

Administrative at a university with 51-200 employees
    Great automatization and backup capabilities with good training available from resellers
    • "The backup capabilities and the automatization of the backup - along with the potential to make the back up on a virtual machine - are the solution's most valuable aspects."
    • "The licensing rules are difficult to navigate and understand."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC NetWorker to make backups for our virtual environment. We have about 14 servers and we backup everything using NetWorker.

What is most valuable?

The backup capabilities and the automatization of the backup - along with the potential to make the back up on a virtual machine - are the solution's most valuable aspects.

It's not just about making a backup on a file level. It's about backing up the entire machine all at once that's very useful for us.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved. They shouldn't just serve those who speak English. The technical support should be in the national language of the country they are servicing and not only in English due to the fact that it's sometimes difficult for us to explain all the things that are going wrong in an unfamiliar language. It creates a communication barrier and makes getting problems solved harder.

The solution is not easy to administer unless you are very familiar with the product.

The licensing rules are difficult to navigate and understand.

The administrator's interface should be much easier to navigate.

I've been using the solution for four years.

It would be hard to judge the scalability as we have never tried to expand the solution. However, I suspect it may be challenging as the solution has difficult licensing rules.

Technical support is okay, however, they only offer service in English. If you don't speak English, or English is not your first language, you will have issues with communicating.

Before Dell EMC NetWorker we used to use Novell NetWare and the Novell Network and Backup. We needed to switch due to the fact that Novell is no longer available in Europe.

We didn't handle the implementation ourselves. I wouldn't be able to discuss the procedure or if it ultimately was complex or straightforward.

The reseller took about one month to help us internally understand how to work with the solution. We were grateful for the help as the solution is not easy to administer.

We have two people who are responsible for the solution and the backups.

Our reseller handled the initial setup on our behalf. They did a good job. We were satisfied with their level of service.

Licensing rules are very complicated in NetWorker. The license depends on, in one version, the value of the backup data, and, in another, the physical workstation. It changes from version to version.

I do not know other solutions very well. I know of Hewlett Packard's backup solution. That said, I only know NetWorker and Avamar. These two products are from Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We're Dell customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I am the administrator of our Dell EMC NetWorker and I make backups of the servers and also run the solution. We only backup our server. We do not back up a user's workstation. The only backups are made by the administrators.

From my perspective, Dell EMC NetWorker is a good solution to make backups. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the administrator's interface was easier to navigate.

Download our free Dell NetWorker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022